[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Goodbye My Princess 东宫

0ly40

1 hour ago, Erafera1 said:

Engsub:heart:

Cr.Nana Chou

Wow, a lot was left out! Those scenes are small but make quite a difference! So thankful for the subs!!!! Was the narrator in the beginning the General?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, biancardi said:

she isn't even 30 years old!!  you make her sound like she is 80... lol

I should have completed my sentence properly.  What I meant was, they are shooting in the desert travelling on the horse, there must be a lot of retakes.  They must be really tired.  We can see that from all their faces.  But she is so energetic to pose for the pic. Cute!!!! :love:

EP.6 cut scene.  Watch Xiofeng

Cr: as tagged

Photoshopped BTS pic.:kiss_wink:

But they edited to look like this,:joy::joy:

Cr: as tagged

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

They cut so many scenes... a lot were pretty important crucial scenes too. I haven't been entirely keeping up with the uncut episodes, just watching scenes here and there. I think I finally am starting to get over the crazy emotions this drama put me through and I'm not sure if I'm ready to rewatch the uncut version lol We're really lucky fans for getting an uncut version of the drama though!

I'm just patiently waiting for the uncut kiss scene lol such a beautiful drama through and through. I hope it continues to get praise!

• Like 5

14 hours ago, J13 said:

They cut so many scenes... a lot were pretty important crucial scenes too. I haven't been entirely keeping up with the uncut episodes, just watching scenes here and there. I think I finally am starting to get over the crazy emotions this drama put me through and I'm not sure if I'm ready to rewatch the uncut version lol We're really lucky fans for getting an uncut version of the drama though!

I'm just patiently waiting for the uncut kiss scene lol such a beautiful drama through and through. I hope it continues to get praise!

Well, I'm waiting for a running pig scene and I still wonder why their cloths is dressed so neatly in the morning, WHAT IS GOING ON?!!! did they really did it or not!??lol. I knew that XF has been forced to sleep with LCY but I'm trying not think like a girl in 2019  here bcuz during ancient time is another story. I  curious why the writer let 2 of them consummate at almost the end of the story. Well, there's another version that writer wrote about their running pig scene is suppose to happen around lantern festival but she cut it off bcuz timeline wasn't right  and I got it now... My guess is bcuz XF have to stay with GJ for awhile so if she comeback virgin and sleep with LCY after that he will know that XF and GJ did't betray him. I think writer planed quite well on this even inside my heart I would like XF to die while she's pregnant with LCY's child. That's even more epic and painful for him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I feel so conflicted about the ending, which I can only attribute to butchered editing. While I got the gist that LCY ended up going back to Xi to repent for his sins/search for the River of Oblivion (?) it ended so abruptly that it feels like there was no proper closure on karmic cycle. 

It's a pity because the last few episodes really highlighted the dismal editing with the rushed political plotlines of the Gao/Emperor intrigue. This was only brought on by the (imo) bad writing of the attempted rebellion in the final episode to  'patch everything up in one go' (Though reading how the novel actually ended I think the drama fared much better with the closure of LCY's and XF's relationship.) 

Overall I liked the drama for what it tried to be. I really liked how a core part of the story was the moral complexity of characters, even those that seemed good, in the face of motivations and circumstances. XF's cousin, for example, was a cruel and sadistic scum towards slaves (heck he was basically a human trafficker) but was loyal, kind, and loving towards XF and his family. Even supposedly 'evil' characters like the Empress deeply cared for both the Emperor and LCY (in her own way) while simultaneously doing everything wrong/evil to maintain her political power. LCY's multifaceted character was really a breath of fresh air in the midst of all the same, mundane, straightforward ''good' romantic interest out there. Normally shows balance the moral compass of the cast by making the second male lead a 'better option' but the show acknowledged that GJ was just every bit as much of a hypocrite and manipulative as LCY was for his own interest.

On the other hand, despite my praise of LCY's overall idea of a multidimensional character, the writing of his motivations fell short. Following another user's comment, I felt that his turnover to anger and jealousy didn't quite hit the mark realistically for me because their (LCY and XF's) relationship beforehand did not establish a love that was equally as passionate. (This can be both attributed to editing and writing really) Take another series, Ashes of Love, as an example of how a similar set up was done better to show the degrees to which the lead would take to get the girl. Spoiler incoming for Ashes of Love (read on if you're interested in the parallels)

Spoiler

With AoL when Run Yu found out that Jin Mi wanted to go back to Xu Feng's side again he displayed roughly the same amount of anger and jealousy that was never seen before (when he was previously always calm and collected), however the transition to him getting into that similar mental depravity made more sense because they had already shown beforehand the stakes Ru Yun would take just to get Jin Mi. (added on by his deteriorating mental state over Jinmi's sadness and the the loneliness of getting the crown)

While I wouldn't say I was surprised really of the drastic consequences XF's memories would have on an ignorant LCY, I thought that having more substance behind their relationship/circumstances would have made all the subsequent scenes more impactful and heartbreaking. 

Basically, to sum it up it had the potential to be a truly amazing story with a cast of very interesting characters but fell short because of bad writing and editing decisions. Some of them never really amounted to anything (Mi Luo, as much as I loved her, she could have easily been replaced with another unknown character), had the potential but failed to expand on (Gao PM),  or were in XF's case unfortunately for a large part of the story, stuck as the 'innocent, simple, good-hearted' character to juxtapose the scheming environment that she was placed in. (I'll admit that this is largely personal preference on my part.) On one hand, I understand the original author's intention on writing XF as the counterpart to LCY/the palace (which ties back to the larger theme of the story of how circumstances can work against your best interest at heart) On the other hand I also wished that XF matured and grew from all the various circumstances she was put under and to understand the weight her words and actions could have. I felt like it wasn't until the end that she had finally gained the insight on the sacrifices and responsibilities that comes with being a princess, when it could have been done earlier. 

Edited by Myokie
  • Like 4
  • Insightful 1

So as I was watching the Korean version of GMP and seeing all the previously deleted scenes, I kinda felt grateful to be part of this awesome fandom cause not only did we get special episodes (to ease the tragic ending), but we actually GOT to see the deleted scenes because of the release outside china. I can’t really say the same for other web series which have a lot of fans too. 

• Like 4

On 5/15/2019 at 3:04 PM, Myokie said:

I feel so conflicted about the ending, which I can only attribute to butchered editing. While I got the gist that LCY ended up going back to Xi to repent for his sins/search for the River of Oblivion (?) it ended so abruptly that it feels like there was no proper closure on karmic cycle. 

It's a pity because the last few episodes really highlighted the dismal editing with the rushed political plotlines of the Gao/Emperor intrigue. This was only brought on by the (imo) bad writing of the attempted rebellion in the final episode to  'patch everything up in one go' (Though reading how the novel actually ended I think the drama fared much better with the closure of LCY's and XF's relationship.) 

Overall I liked the drama for what it tried to be. I really liked how a core part of the story was the moral complexity of characters, even those that seemed good, in the face of motivations and circumstances. XF's cousin, for example, was a cruel and sadistic scum towards slaves (heck he was basically a human trafficker) but was loyal, kind, and loving towards XF and his family. Even supposedly 'evil' characters like the Empress deeply cared for both the Emperor and LCY (in her own way) while simultaneously doing everything wrong/evil to maintain her political power. LCY's multifaceted character was really a breath of fresh air in the midst of all the same, mundane, straightforward ''good' romantic interest out there. Normally shows balance the moral compass of the cast by making the second male lead a 'better option' but the show acknowledged that GJ was just every bit as much of a hypocrite and manipulative as LCY was for his own interest.

On the other hand, despite my praise of LCY's overall idea of a multidimensional character, the writing of his motivations fell short. Following another user's comment, I felt that his turnover to anger and jealousy didn't quite hit the mark realistically for me because their (LCY and XF's) relationship beforehand did not establish a love that was equally as passionate. (This can be both attributed to editing and writing really) Take another series, Ashes of Love, as an example of how a similar set up was done better to show the degrees to which the lead would take to get the girl. Spoiler incoming for Ashes of Love (read on if you're interested in the parallels)

Reveal hidden contents

With AoL when Run Yu found out that Jin Mi wanted to go back to Xu Feng's side again he displayed roughly the same amount of anger and jealousy that was never seen before (when he was previously always calm and collected), however the transition to him getting into that similar mental depravity made more sense because they had already shown beforehand the stakes Ru Yun would take just to get Jin Mi. (added on by his deteriorating mental state over Jinmi's sadness and the the loneliness of getting the crown)

While I wouldn't say I was surprised really of the drastic consequences XF's memories would have on an ignorant LCY, I thought that having more substance behind their relationship/circumstances would have made all the subsequent scenes more impactful and heartbreaking. 

Basically, to sum it up it had the potential to be a truly amazing story with a cast of very interesting characters but fell short because of bad writing and editing decisions. Some of them never really amounted to anything (Mi Luo, as much as I loved her, she could have easily been replaced with another unknown character), had the potential but failed to expand on (Gao PM),  or were in XF's case unfortunately for a large part of the story, stuck as the 'innocent, simple, good-hearted' character to juxtapose the scheming environment that she was placed in. (I'll admit that this is largely personal preference on my part.) On one hand, I understand the original author's intention on writing XF as the counterpart to LCY/the palace (which ties back to the larger theme of the story of how circumstances can work against your best interest at heart) On the other hand I also wished that XF matured and grew from all the various circumstances she was put under and to understand the weight her words and actions could have. I felt like it wasn't until the end that she had finally gained the insight on the sacrifices and responsibilities that comes with being a princess, when it could have been done earlier. 

About the ending. From my understand is LCY commit suicide by jumping into the river; I judges from the opening of Korean Ver.(other might think differently). 30 years of loneliness and with XF, TT. Even this series has ended long ago but my mind still stuck with it. I always thinking why LCY have to do that, WHY??!! and after I read so many Chinese novel I realize that he really did it for XF's safety. He wish to stay with her after everything done and all his enemies get kill  but turn out to be to late for him to fix everything. He get the throne, he lost his lover... but the sadness is that the throne is not what he wanted from the started. LCY love XF so much bcuz in the palace is like a liar kingdom.. Everyone put the mask on their face. XF is a girl that like a light of his life. She's innocent and kind. XF is his weakness that he tried to hide from his enemies. What hurt me the most is that 3 years of their marriage he show his gentleness, love&care to Sese(even is a fake but at least Sese still have her happy time  but XF only feeling the pain from him and death with a heart break) while he only show a heartless and cruel side to XF, keep hurting her even he know very well that XF loves him. I really wanted to jump into the River of Oblivion. Is too painful for both of them and me too, TT.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Where can we see the uncut Korean/Taiwanese version?

So many scenes look cut (especially Mi Luo and Pei General scenes). What were those cut scenes of them?

I don't think I can go back and rewatch the whole drama, but what scenes were cut off that would be important for the story?

I also really like XF's makeup XD

Spoiler

Can someone also explain what exactly the pig running is?

Omg, Youtube is going to be uploading the 55 episode Taiwanese version very soon!

@Yui. Pig running means bed scene, Xiao Feng says in the novel that she may not have ate pig but she has seen pig running aka she has never slept with anyone but she has seen it happen plenty when she's out at the prostitution house (is that what it's called?).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@MidnightRain thanks for the update! That's awesome! I have stopped rewatching the episodes on Viki because this drama put me on a crazy rollercoaster of emotions haha but I'll certainly watch again if all uncut episodes are uploaded somewhere easily accessible!

Our handsome crown prince and beautiful ninth princess will always have a special spot in my drama heart.

• Like 3

Hmm unless I'm watching the wrong channel on Youtube, they didn't show the uncut kiss in ep 40.. it was the same scene showed in the uncut version :tears: so disappointing when the kiss/romantic scenes were what I was looking forward to the most.. hopefully we get a bit more in the later episodes..

@pad-hari if only that were real :bawling:

• Sad 2