[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Goodbye My Princess 东宫

0ly40

Oh gosh I am so behind...just watching this series...loved it...so heartbreaking...love the moments when they were in the desert (and the heartaches) and even in palace up to chapter 43---then it went very sour and sad..

Is it me only but I just don't feel it made sense when LXY killed GJ -- they had a decent relationship in desert -- although LCY forgot -- LCY was extremely raged with jealousy but he really isn't the tyrant evil type of person...yes he was a scum to use both women -- both XF and his concubine -- but compared to other characters he really wasn't that evil a character...so to me it was still out of his character to kill GJ so coldblooded...in the book I felt he was more cold blooded...but in the drama not so much...until killing GJ....

I actually feel bad for his concubine SS-- at least LXY loved XF -- she wasn't only used...

As for XF ...so when she lost her memory she learned to forgive LCY for killing her grandfather and falls in love with him....but when she regains her memory...it seems her biggest obstacle was not able to forgive him for using her to kill her grandfather...she never realized the reason he killed her grandfather is because he thought her grandfather killed his brother...

Such a tragic story since these characters didn't communicate to each other...XF should have told LCY he was GXW..the poor guy (although he deserve it) didn't know what was going on...he thought he was having a good relationship with XF during fireworks and then it turned all sour....

Chen xing Xu -- I remember watching him in Condor Hero -- didn't think he was very good looking...didn't think he was fat either...then....but after losing lots of weight for this series..definitely much more handsome....

I am more surprised both actor/actress acting was superb though...

Such sad and tragic characters...and I thought ashes of love was sad...

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I am super glad that they made bonus movie depicting modern reincarnation of our beloved couple (three is a charm!).

I am super happy that they are together again and finally be happy!

I am also glad that he can finally realized his long lost fantasy of becoming a tea seller. Hahahahaha.

I love that the modern story ties everything up together, and made it this wonderful, wonderful story of two individuals who love one another dearly. They are so cute, and now that they are together, I have the closure that I want: a happy ending.

Actually it is quite obvious that they clicked together nicely. If there are no revenge mission involved, they will likely to end up being together quickly (just like how GXW married XF in Danchi, and now Lao Wu and XF) I love that they are being nice to one another, and I love those adoring, caring look he has for her, as well as those hopeful, complimenting look she has for him.

Another thing that I love is that the PXR and CXX seem to be getting along well behind the scene too. I love that he rushed to help her get off from the truck, took her and carried her. I think it is sweet that he cares for her (and she always looks shy aftereards). I hope they will get another wonderful project together soon.

Lots of love for everyone in this thread! Many thanks to especially @pad-hari @Erafera1 @ayang23 @nuttyz

(I missed several names as well, I think....but you know who you are! Thank you!!) The thread wont be the same without you people with your insights, videos and pictures!

Btw one of you said something about Legend of White Snake right? The main male lead is the one who played in Eternal Love (Ten Miles of Peach Blossom) as the female lead's nine-tailed fox brother. He didnt really aged, didnt he?

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Another review from a different blogger. 

cr:https://cfen.si/2019/04/06/drama-review-goodbye-my-princess/

Drama Review: Goodbye My Princess

af7787f7ly1g0ytr6ex29j20u01hc7f0.jpg

Funnily enough, the drama premiered on Valentine’s Day, and ended on Qingming Festival (Tomb-Sweeping Day).

Goodbye My Princess is yet another example of the typical Chinese drama that starts off as a pretty engaging show, starts falling apart in the middle, and can barely hold itself together by the time it reaches the finish line.

I was totally captivated by the drama during the first couple of weeks, where the story was more focused on the Li Dynasty’s plans to conquer the Western Provinces after the Crown Prince’s untimely death. Xiaofeng is a bundle of cute, and Peng Xiaoran manages to portray the naive princess as a likable and innocent young maiden, rather than as a spoiled and foolish girl who doesn’t know any better. The young princess also gets a growth arc, as evident from her decision to remain princess consort. Xiaofeng realised that no princess can ever escape the fate of a political marriage, and finally understood the gravity of the situation when confronted with the harrowing truth of the conflict between two kingdoms.

006EDmN9ly1g1a7iimzahj364w3g8npf.jpg

Behold, the male lead that treats his wife like trash in the name of protecting her.

Chen Xingxu has a tendency to overact in key emotion scenes, but I am giving him a pass because he was stuck with a badly written character in Li Chengyin. In the novel, Li Chengyin is heartless, selfish, and power-hungry, and he isn’t afraid to admit it. In the drama, Li Chengyin goes from being an affectionate and merciful romantic to everyone except Xiaofeng, to a hypocritical, unforgiving and jealous scumbag without any warning. Towards the end of the show, the screenwriters had completely forgotten they had already watered down Li Chengyin’s personality, and there was no logical progression of events that warranted such a change in temperament. I don’t see a problem in toning down a character’s personality when adapting them for another medium, but the incompetent writing meant there was no smooth transition when it came time to integrate the two different personalities.

The ill-fated romance during the first 10 episodes between Xiaofeng and Gu Xiaowu in the Western provinces was the highlight of the show for me, and the gorgeous scenery and lovely instrumentals by composer Feng Da was icing on the cake. I was hoping there would be some good political conspiracies to help pad out the rest of the show (the Crown Prince’s rebellion was child’s play), but it turns out my expectations were just too high.

Rating: 6.5/10

ed19b98fly1g0v6qqqigcj26803i0qva.jpg

“The fox waited and waited, but the maiden never returned.”

006UMSQjgy1g1f9rvc50zj31dq0u0hdt.jpg

006DqRLJly1g11bcvaym2j30xa17l43y.jpg006RSf8Dgy1g0mlr0fzzfj30xc18g1kx.jpg61d1dc63gy1g0j2465whlj21i02iob2a.jpged19b98fly1g0bqz42f1bj22t447qhdv.jpg006lHUGpgy1g0qzujigydj30u01hbdjf.jpg006PWYULly1g0roqtxekcj30qe0eudvd.jpged19b98fly1g0ag3wabwuj22qo43sqv6.jpg

Images credit to: 一只帅桃, Azure-epic, 依依哟-

• Like 3

What are the deleted scenes -- I know the one where he wraps him with her belt and kiss her...but was there other deleted romantic scenes?

The last few chapters were tough to swallow so yes it suddenly turned him to be ruthless to have her watch GJ killed...

But there were some parts of the stories I didn't understand...did Mingyu kill herself because she knew the old king killed her father?  The Gao guy in jail told LCY about how his father the king wanted to kill the Gu family just because they were powerful than?  But the old queen was the one who poisioned LCY mom (the king didn't know about it?)

In this series LY suffered from lack of love from his father and than finding out his birth mother was killed by who someone he thought loved him as mother....right before when the queen  suicide he cried and was so disappointed she sent someone to assassin him...and he told the king how he wanted to be loved...so out of both I felt it was a twigger point that made him ruthless to jealousy killing GJ...because at first he thought XXF was falling for him (especially while watching fireworks) then when she comes back she totally changed and he couldn't figure out why....I think just that change made him feel he lost the love he really desired (cause he didn't really care for SESE)

They also deleted sceneds when he old and bathing in rivers to find river of forgetfull ness...which I don't get..cause I thought they jumped down river of forgetfulness already so why wouldn't he know where it is?

He really was lieing to himself when he old thinking ath XFX didn't die and pretending to die...Peijiao knew she died..even old he couldn't accept it...how sad

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

I love how in the interview...PXR shed some light on what LCY was looking for in the desert.

She said something like LCY was not only looking for XF but also he was looking for his heart which she took away. 

This, for me, made me understand how LCY could change into such a monster in the end.

When he fell in love with XF, he couldn't show it but in the end when he could, she just kept on rejecting him. 

She rejected him because she remembered their past while he didn't. 

I remember in the last few episodes before GJ was killed, LCY said he could feel that XF loved him.

I guess this was one of the reasons why he couldn't understand why she kept on rejecting him for GXW.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I love how we are all still pretty active on this thread despite the fact that this drama came to closure a couple of weeks ago. This just shows how powerful GMP is overall (regardless of the gaps within the story/characters).

@El Lieu, you brought up a great point about how LCY’s character was a bit out of place for the scene where he killed Gu Jian. I agree that it did seem a little unsuitable since the writers decided to sugar code his character for the drama. With that said, however, a part of me also sees how LCY’s action of deciding to kill Gu Jain made sense. To me, I’ve always thought that a huge lesson/theme from GMP is the capability of what humans could do when selfishness, revenge, and jealousy devours them. LCY/XW at the core, is a good person. However, due to multiple factors, such as wanting to get revenge for his mother and letting his jealousy manipulate him, he gets fully consumed by it and eventually turns into a monster. Just like how shocked some of the viewers were when LCY went to the extreme to kill Gu Jain, XF was shocked as well. When Gu Jian dies and XF sings the Little Fox song, it shows the final hope that LYC/XW strips away from her. This pivotal point in the story reflects XF’s realization of falling in love with a monster, and it also feeds into the hopelessness XF has moving forward about their love.

I’m so thankful for the Eng subbed BTS!!!!! It really shows how hard the whole crew/team worked to create this beautiful artwork, GMP. This uploader will also sub the variety show our leads will be in as well! I can’t wait to see it!!!! @ElleSor, I also agree!!!! It’s great to hear PXR’s insights to what LCY was looking for in the desert. At one point, we were all wondering whether General Pei liked XF in the drama since in the story he liked her. Turns out, he did like her a little in the drama (according to the BTS interview)!

• Like 4

@ayang23 I disagree that LCY turned into monster. Regarding him killing GJ, that was perfectly justifiable. The Chinese forums debated this topic and the majority of posters sided with LCY on this. 

If you look at things from LCY's perspective, he was not operating with a full set of memories (unlike GJ and XF) and was seeing this random dude trying to spirit away his wife, it's understandable that he'd be deeply confused, jealous, and infuriated.  Add to that is the fact that he's the Crown Prince and his wife was part of a political marriage alliance, so the matter isn't just your everyday run-of-the-mill adultery, but concerns political interests, royal family's "face", his Crown Prince status as well, it's completely justified that he ordered GJ killed. Of course he was jealous and possessive! Why shouldn't he be? Do we expect him to clap his hands and be okay with his marriage being sabotaged? 

I have ZERO sympathy for GJ. The guy manipulated XF in the beginning, manipulated her towards the end, pretended like he was GXW, forced XF to regain her memories. I would've gotten rid of him too. 

I think people reacted strongly to that scene bc of XF's reaction. But she had her full set of memories so we can't measure LCY by her standards.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Le_Amarant said:

@ayang23 I disagree that LCY turned into monster. Regarding him killing GJ, that was perfectly justifiable. The Chinese forums debated this topic and the majority of posters sided with LCY on this. 

If you look at things from LCY's perspective, he was not operating with a full set of memories (unlike GJ and XF) and was seeing this random dude trying to spirit away his wife, it's understandable that he'd be deeply confused, jealous, and infuriated.  Add to that is the fact that he's the Crown Prince and his wife was part of a political marriage alliance, so the matter isn't just your everyday run-of-the-mill adultery, but concerns political interests, royal family's "face", his Crown Prince status as well, it's completely justified that he ordered GJ killed.

I have ZERO sympathy for GJ. The guy manipulated XF in the beginning, manipulated her towards the end, pretended like he was GXW, forced XF to regain her memories. I would've gotten rid of him too. 

I think people reacted strongly to that scene bc of XF's reaction. But she had her full set of memories so we can't measure LCY by her standards.

YES, a thousand times YES.  I never thought LCY was a monster. I could understand both his POV and XF's POV - I got why she didn't tell him that he was her true love, GXW - afterall, she just got her memories back and it must have felt like it just happened.  I never thought he was a monster for killing GJ - GJ was the one who continued to lie to XF, manipulating her, trying to color her eyes towards LCY without telling how deep his own involvement was.  A'Du was another one that I disliked at the end - oh great - they cry over GJ, but I felt his betrayal was worse that LCY - after all, GJ GREW up with XF and he was her teacher.  He let her go to LCY, allowed for her to be used.  I read some folks saying oh, well GJ had remorse over his part - of course he did!  He remembered.  LCY didn't have anything to be remorseful for as he has no idea what happened. 

I cannot fault LCY - he has no idea what he did, and he is jealous and confused.  No one will tell him, not even Pei.  When he gets his memories back, it comes back in a flood too - with all the raw passions as if it happened yesterday.  Those two didn't stand a chance. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Le_Amarant said:

If you look at things from LCY's perspective, he was not operating with a full set of memories (unlike GJ and XF) and was seeing this random dude trying to spirit away his wife, it's understandable that he'd be deeply confused, jealous, and infuriated.  Add to that is the fact that he's the Crown Prince and his wife was part of a political marriage alliance, so the matter isn't just your everyday run-of-the-mill adultery, but concerns political interests, royal family's "face", his Crown Prince status as well, it's completely justified that he ordered GJ killed. Of course he was jealous and possessive! Why shouldn't he be? Do we expect him to clap his hands and be okay with his marriage being sabotaged? 

Soooooo agree. Regardless he always willing to jump death with her. His actions speaks so much love for her. People dont realize it's back in the days where there is always some trying to harm the king and aim for power. He always trying to protect her.

• Like 4

I hope the insider rumors are true.:wub::wub:

Goodbye My Princess episodes temporarily removed from Youku

goodbye+my+princess+40.jpg

Bad news for anyone streaming in China. On April 15, netizens discovered thatGoodbye My Princess 东宫 which was available exclusively on Youku has been taken offline. Sadly, this is not an uncommon occurrence as the same thing happened to Guardian last year. 

Day+Day+Up+Goodbye+My+Princess+3.jpg

Although Goodbye My Princess ended last month, interest in the drama hasn't waned. The main couple played by Peng Xiaoranand Chen Xingxu even appeared together on last night's episode of the Chinese talk show Day Day Up 天天向上. 

Day+Day+Up+Goodbye+My+Princess+1.jpg

An insider from Youku has revealed that the drama was taken down in order to make improvements to the content. The question is, what changes. If past experience is anything to go by, changes usually mean more cut scenes. Maybe the palace aspect of the drama got too political? Others speculate that the show was taken off the air to make way for the web drama to be aired on TV. Is it too much to hope that instead of cutting scenes, they'd actually restore the deleted scenes?

Internationally, Goodbye My Princess is available on Viki and Youtube. One thing I'll never tire of is to find an excuse to share the gorgeous shots from the show because they really are beautiful.
goodbye+my+princess+41.jpg

goodbye+my+princess+42.jpg

goodbye+my+princess+46.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Aw so good seeing this thread still going strong! Feels like I haven't been in here for ages (probably just a week or two though haha)!

Our two fav leads are still getting praise and attention which is awesome and very well deserved. I hope that with all of this, we get to see them headline a new drama soon even if it's not together. I must admit though, it'll be hard seeing them with a different actor/actress.. Their chemistry completely won me over and made me full blown obsessed with this drama so their next main roles will be hard to compare to but I won't complain too much ;)

Regarding the comments on LCY/GJ, I've always found myself defending LCY too. It was a different time and age back then and as I've said before too, LCY didn't have the advantage that everyone else did because the poor guy didn't regain his memories until basically the very end. I do agree that him forcing XF to watch him kill GJ was excessive but for me, it was mainly because he also disregarded Adu lying in the direct vicinity of all of the flying arrows. I also can't justify him forcing XF to bed.. I get he was confused, angry, hurt and jealous but that part was a big no no. All in all though, I find it very hard to be mad at LCY because he really has suffered too and GJ really shouldn't have kept feeding LCY's doubt, confusion, jealousy and anger. I understand XF not telling LCY the truth was perhaps her way of getting back at him but perhaps if she (or one of the others who knew the truth) just told LCY the truth then alot of the upcoming events could have been prevented. 

It's interesting because at the start, I felt so awful mainly for XF but as I watched the drama more, I really felt so bad for LCY. It's easy to forget the political side of things and only see LCY as some vengeful man who got jealous and possesive but he really wasn't like that at all. He had to avenge his brother and his mother, happened to fall in love with the one person he least expected to fall in love with, lost his memories, unknowingly fell in love with the same woman again, spent a lot of his time and energy ensuring XF was safe while killing himself inside because he was purposefully hurting her to keep her safe, was made to believe his wife who he knew had fallen in love with him too was all of a sudden in love with another man who apparently was his cousin and wanted to leave him forever then when he finally regained his memories, it was too late so he lived a long lonely life because he also happened to promise his love that he'd live on.. It's just a really sad story..

Awesome to see how this drama is still bringing out lots of different opinions and perspectives, it's what a good quality drama should do! It's always great coming together with other fellow drama lovers to analyze the different aspects of dramas and just plain old fangirl too :D

• Like 1
  • Love 3

@pad-hari yesss I hope so too!! Surely someone or somewhere is going to air the full uncut episodes right!? They'd be silly not to given the hype and popularity!

@Erafera1 thanks for sharing :) why is CXX so handsome and dreamy!? And PXR is beyond beautiful! Those little cartoon pictures are just adorable :D

• Like 1
  • Love 2