[Drama 2017-2018] Love Returns / I hate to love you, 미워도 믿어도

0ly40

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@jayakris Do you have any idea how marriage registration works in Korea?  In Episode 32 Jung's father and the Stepmother submitted their paperwork to the District Office and I thought that was it.  then in Episode 33, the Stepmother raised the issue of registering her stepchildren "after our marriage is registered," indicating that the marriage is still unregistered.  Are they waiting for some kind of certificate in the mail?

@sotabaka  Maybe if things go according to plan and Jung and Big Shot take over the Beauty Center, they'll give Gigolo Goo a management job so he can marry big Shot's Mother.  Or maybe so he can marry Jung's Mother, since she seems to have a gleam in her eye for him as well.

@dramaninja I'm two episodes behind and as of #33 it seems that the Stepmother is about to die, Jung's Father will inherit her fortune, and Big Shot will marry Jung and share in the wealth.  That would be an interesting plot twist if the Aunt somehow blows up the fortune and no one ends up with anything.  In 34 and 35, she gets up to something worse than selling counterfeit handbags?

I have to say,  Goo aunt deserved Inwoo talking back to her. She was constantly rude to an employee who did not necessarily have the means to dress up and who had a difficult circumstance. She should've had Inwoo wear a uniform with the others if she wanted to control how she dressed.

6 hours ago, jimb said:

@jayakris Do you have any idea how marriage registration works in Korea?  In Episode 42 Jung's father and the Stepmother submitted their paperwork to the District Office and I thought that was it.  then in Episode 43, the Stepmother raised the issue of registering her stepchildren "after our marriage is registered," indicating that the marriage is still unregistered.  Are they waiting for some kind of certificate in the mail?

I have no idea either, and would need to investigate. Especially about the witness, because they certainly had no witnesses with them when they went and did some paperwork. In the latest episode (Ep 34) we see Hangeja remembering the loser dad introducing a guy as the one who WAS the witness, but he was certainly not there at the court.  I just find it hard to believe that Haengja would do it without telling anybody, especially EJ and MJ, who would be so upset that she did it without telling them (and still asn't told them), and without running anything through her lawyer too.   I was hoping that they were there to apply for it, but still had to bring a witness and make it official.  But the latest episode was like it was a done deal.  So, what is going on here?

1 hour ago, tulip06 said:
9 hours ago, dramaninja said:

So it seems like the aunt is about to cost them everything?

The aunt is a friggin idiot and should be locked up.

Yeah, the aunt is a piece of work. I still don't get why Haengja puts up with her. She even offered to pay some $400K of her debt in the US. Why? Who would do something like that??

But I don't think this latest thing by the aunt is going to be that costly, @dramaninja. Selling a few fake bags is relatively minor, as far as monetary penalty is concerned. But somebody can go to jail for it though. Hopefully Haengja won't get overconfident and do something to end up in jail instead of the aunt (who eminently deserves to be locked up).  I found it curious that Haengja sent her lawyer to meet HSP for the beauty center thing, and is going to deal with the more troublesome police matter by herself without a lawyer. We will have to see what happens next.

But, really, Haengja needs to tell her two kids EJ and MJ (who are both very sensible types) what all she is up to. She loves them, but just doesn't seem to confide in them at all.

@jayakris  In #32 when Jung's Father and the Stepmother met before going to the District Office, they each had separate paperwork which they had signed in the presence of witnesses.   Each identifies for the other the person who had witnessed their respective  signatures.

Just now, jimb said:

@jayakris  In #32 when Jung's Father and the Stepmother met before going to the District Office, they each had separate paperwork which they had signed in the presence of witnesses.   Each identifies for the other the person who had witnessed their signature.

Ah, I see. That makes sense. I wasn't paying attention there.

1 hour ago, jayakris said:

Yeah, the aunt is a piece of work. I still don't get why Haengja puts up with her. She even offered to pay some $400K of her debt in the US. Why? Who would do something like that??

But I don't think this latest thing by the aunt is going to be that costly, @dramaninja. Selling a few fake bags is relatively minor, as far as monetary penalty is concerned. But somebody can go to jail for it though. Hopefully Haengja won't get overconfident and do something to end up in jail instead of the aunt (who eminently deserves to be locked up).  I found it curious that Haengja sent her lawyer to meet HSP for the beauty center thing, and is going to deal with the more troublesome police matter by herself without a lawyer. We will have to see what happens next.

But, really, Haengja needs to tell her two kids EJ and MJ (who are both very sensible types) what all she is up to. She loves them, but just doesn't seem to confide in them at all.

Hmm the debt she has is pretty big it could be a series of stupid things that cost them everything.

Also the shop rep could be hurt alot by this too.

3 hours ago, jayakris said:

I found it curious that Haengja sent her lawyer to meet HSP for the beauty center thing, and is going to deal with the more troublesome police matter by herself without a lawyer. We will have to see what happens next.

Notice how, after saving the Aunt from the cops, Big Shot neither ordered the Aunt to clear her counterfeit handbags out of the storeroom nor informed the Stepmother that the Aunt was putting her business at risk.  Not exactly primo legal service.  But we knew that . . . 

Big Shot's reaction when he arrives at the settlement conference and learns Hong's true identity should be interesting.

I HATE TO LOVE YOU  (AKA I HATE YOU BUT I LOVE YOU) (AKA LOVE RETURNS)

RECAP, EPISODE 34

The Stepmother, accompanied by Hong, is being transported to a hospital in an ambulance.

Gil arrives at the Pawn Shop and chastises the Stepmother's Assistant re a counterfeit purse she discovered in their warehouse.  The Assistant tells her about the visit by the cops and how Big Shot told them to come back with a warrant.  Before Gil can react to this information, the Aunt breezes in and is like, Blase, Blase.

Gil and the Aunt struggle physically over the counterfeit handbags, which Gil wants to destroy.  The Aunt finally wrests them from Gil's hands and storms off.

Just then, Big Shot arrives.  As he invites Gil out for a drink, her phone rings.  It is Hong calling from the hospital.

Jung's Father meets with his Ex-Wife in the Small Cafe, which is otherwise deserted.  He tells her that he will use his marriage to the Stepmother to help Jung achieve her goals.  Jung's Mother warns him that the Stepmother is more alert and formidable than he thinks.

Gil arrives at the hospital alone and stands outside the emergency room.  Big Shot arrives and they enter the emergency room together.

Gil sees Hong and approaches him for information.  Big Shot tries to big foot Hong, demanding to know how "Mother" is.  Hong gives him a "you idiot" look and tells Gil that the Stepmother has regained consciousness.  Just as Big Shot is trying to order Hong to leave the hospital, an alarm sounds.  The Stepmother is having a heart attack.

Ah!  Someone else is having a heart attack.  The Stepmother enters the reception area and asks Gil what she is doing there.  The

Stepmother begins complaining that the hospital is charging her too much for X-rays.  Big Shot returns and Hong watches him suck up to the Stepmother.

Gil and Big Shot help the Stepmother into her bedroom.  The Stepmother orders them to tell no one about her hospitalization and sends them away.  She tells them that she is sorry that she did not have a chance to thank Hong.  Big Shot grimaces.

As Big Shot and Gil sit at the dining room table, she removes the couples' ring and returns it to him.  She explains that she cannot accept her Stepmother's remarriage and plans to move out of the house when it occurs.  She therefore found herself drifting into marriage with Big Shot because he seemed (ha!) nice enough, but now realizes that she needs to slow down and develop a plan.  She proposes that they resume dating from square one and see where it leads.  In her bedroom, the Stepmother eavesdrops.

Big Shot pledges ever-lasting love and says he understands.  But Gil doesn't know that he has a Plan B.

Jung's Sister is standing on the sidewalk hoping to bump into Gil's Brother accidentally on purpose.  As he approaches, she pretends she is on a phone call.  She plays hard to get, but they agree to do something together if they "bump into" each other tomorrow.

Big Shot returns home and is lost in thought.  he decides that his hiatus with Gil is a good thing because it gives him time to more fully consider Jung's proposition.    he realizes that since the Stepmother has collapsed once, she isn't invincible.  In his head, he reviews the various potential paths to her Pot Of Gold.

The Stepmother tells Gil about the new house she is building for Gil and her Brother to live in after they are married.

When the Stepmother returns to her bedroom, the Aunt is awaiting her.  They face off.  The Stepmother tells the Aunt that her medical episode has given her a new perspective and she has decided to pay off her $400K debt if the Aunt agrees to work in her Pawn Shop under her Assistant's supervision.  Actually, she would be smarter to condition the $400K on the aunt's promise to never step foot in her shop again.

Madame and Gigolo Goo have an in soju veritas moment.  He gives her the back story on her birth.  We learn that her mother died soon after she was born.

Madame Goo returns to her bedroom and cries.

Morning.

Big Shot's Mother asks Jung[s Sister to tell her boss, Gigolo Goo, that she is anxiously awaiting her call.  She learns from Jung's Sister that Gigolo Goo has been absent from work for several days.

The Stepmother visits the Small Cafe and learns from the Manager that jung's Father has contributed $5K to the Orphanage.    She realizes that this is the pocket money she gave him.    She doesn't realize that Jung's Father is working a "long con"  in the expectation that there is more for him where that $5K came from.

When Jung's Father arrives and the Stepmother aks him about the donation, he is like "Aw Shucks.  I was hoping to keep that a secret."

At the Beauty Center, Madame Goo chastises Jung for her general incompetence and idiosyncratic dress.  Jung is feeling her oats and returns fire.  Madame Goo, shocked at Jung's insolence, storms out of the room.  Assistant Director Gong wonders whether Jung somehow has a connection with the Beauty Center's new owner.

The Stepmother sits in her bedroom  She remembers being introduced by Jung's father to the man who witnessed his signature on his marriage registration application.  She tells herself that now that they have registered their marriage, she is really Jung's Father's wife now.

When the Aunt arrives at the Pawn Shop, the Stepmother's Assistant hands her a broom.  She hands the broom back to her.  Just as

Gil is ordering the Aunt to get rid of her counterfeit handbags once and for all the two police officers return with a proper search warrant.

In the Stepmother's office, the Aunt begs for forgiveness "just one more time" while the police search the storeroom.

When the police place the Aunt under arrest, the Stepmother insists on going to the police station with her.  Gil and the Assistant are flabbergasted.

The Stepmother uses her one phone call to contact Big Shot.  She tells him to meet her at the police station, but first to go to Genius Cosmetics for the Settlement Conference.

Hong and Madame Goo's Assistant wait in his CEO office for the Stepmother to arrive for the Settlement Conference.

When the door to Hong's office opens, Hong and Big Shot are shocked to encounter each other

14 hours ago, tulip06 said:

The aunt is ruining this show. She’s not even an interesting villain, she’s just tedious and spoilt and arrogant and she ruins things for us as well as the characters.

I wonder what the writers have in store for the Aunt after Gil "loses everything." 

The Aunt is currently Gil's most open and avowed enemy, so her fortunes have to improve.

My guess is that she becomes Professor Jung's wife and takes him and the rest of his family to the cleaners.

On 12/30/2017 at 5:55 PM, tulip06 said:

The aunt is ruining this show. She’s not even an interesting villain, she’s just tedious and spoilt and arrogant and she ruins things for us as well as the characters.

I just want her to be locked up. She feels like she's so entitled and all that so she can do stupid things and she knows Kim ahjumma will be stupid enough to bail her out of all the troubles she makes.

I'm really surprised that Kim ahjumma is not as smart as I have expected. She says she's not fool enough to be blinded by love but I think she's really blinded by love. Sorry I just don't buy those sickeningly sweet things the con-prof does.

And In Woo! She does get blinded by money. How sad she turned big in the head knowing that con-prof registered his marriage to Kim ahjumma. How I wish it get invalidated or something and they all go down together (con-prof, con-law, In Woo and con-law mom). I am actually happy that con-law mom happy ending is crumbling to pieces. She whines too much for my liking and she is money hungry as well. I'm rooting for Hong Suk imo to get in her way until the end. I know I'm evil but I just can't stand her. I like In Woo omma better.

I HATE TO LOVE YOU  (AKA I HATE YOU BUT I LOVE YOU) (AKA LOVE RETURNS)

RECAP, EPISODE 35  

Hong, CEO of Genius Cosmetics, B introduces himself to Big Shot, who looks like he has been punched in the stomach.

Big Shot, suddenly all business, sits down with Hong to conclude the sale of the Beauty Center.

When Hong asks after the Stepmother's health, Big Shot waxes arrogant again and attempts a Stare Down.  Like most social cues, Hong misses this and continues to regard Big Shot with a blank stare.  Big Shot is like, WTF?

With some effort, the Aunt drags her posterior into the Pawn Shop.  We learn that Jung's Father somehow knows a well-connected attorney who intervened in the Aunt's case and that she will probably get off with a fine.  Dejected, the Aunt heads out to rest.  But not before demanding that the Stepmother's Assistant lend her money for the sauna.

As Big Shot leaves Genius Cosmetics, the Stepmother calls him and tells him that the matter at the Police Station has been resolved.

Back at the CEO's Office, Hong is unhappy that his identity has been blown.  But  Madame Goo's Assistant assures him that Big Shot will not expose hiss true identity to Gil because "It wouldn't do him any good."

Big Shot bustles into the Small Cafe as the Stepmother and Jung's Father are talking.  When Big Shot asks about the trouble at the Police Station Jung's Father dusts him back, telling him that it was resolved through the influence of a well -connected personage of his acquaintance.  Big Shot is like, No one is who they seem to be today.

Big Shot hands the Stepmother the paperwork.  When she tells him that she is srry that she didn't have the opportunity to meet the CEO of Genius Cosmetics, Big Shot assures her that he is not someone she would be interested in meeting.

Jung's Father tells Big Shot that now that the property transfer is completed, he and his wife have no more use for his services, particularly since a "Son in law is always a guest."   After the Stepmother thanks Big Shot for his hard work and leaves the cafe, the two men face off.  Jung's Father is like, Don't you have some place you need to be?  Realizing that Jung's Father has, at least for the moment, successfully jumped his claim, Big Shot slinks off.

The Manager of the Small Cafe unpacks groceries before taking a nap.

The Stepmother leads the Aunt into her bedroom and Lays Down The Law.  She wants a full data dump re the Aunt's transgresses.  The

Stepmother assures her that if she transgresses again, :She won't let it slide."  The ?Stepmother demands that the Aunt affirm,  in writing, her willingness to comply with her list of demands.  She watches as the Aunt dutifully records the demands and signs off on them.

The Manager of the Small Cafe arrives at the Stepmother's house and overhears her talking with the Aunt.  she learns for the first time that Gil is adopted.  When the Stepmother emerges from the bedroom to greet her, the Manager rushes into Gil's bedroom and pretends to be napping.

Big Shot's Mother visits Gigolo Goo in his office.  She proposes to meet with his Sister and asks for a description of her.  When hhe flashes on memories of her sharply differing moods, words fail him.

As Jung's Sister passes through one door to Genius Cosmetics hoping to run into Gil's Bother, Gil's Brother enters another door to Genius Cosmetics hoping to run into Jung's Sister.

The Manager of the Small Cafe helps the Stepmother and the Aunt prepare New Year's dumplings.

Jung's Sister stands on the sidewalk and wonders why Gil's Brother hasn't passed by, while he stands in the lobby of Genius Cosmetics and wonders why she hasn't passed by.

Gil and Jun's Father have arrived and are helping to make New years dumplings.  The Stepmother and Jung's Father interact happily while Gil looks on morosely.  We learn that they are making dumplings for the orphanage.

Gil's Brother arrives home looking sheepish. , having apparently failed to connect with Jung's Sister.

The Manager talks with Gil in her bedroom.  The Manager is relieved to hear that Gil and big Shot have decided slow their relationship down a tad.

Jung, her Mother and Sister eat dinner and snarl at each other.

Back at the dinner table, the aunt watches the stepmother and Jung's Father interact and is like, Euw, gross!

The Stepmother and Hong talk on the phone.  She invites him to her house for dinner.

Jung and her Sister confront each other on the sidewalk after dark.  Her sister asks her why she is suddenly waxing uppity with their Mother and Madame Goo.  She guesses that their Father has promised to buy Big Shot for her and Jung does not deny it.  Jung's Sister hands her boxing gloves and they go at it on the sidewalk, in front of God and everyone.

Big Slhot sits in his bedroom.  He remembers Gil returning her couples' ring to him.  He remembers his interactions with Hong and Jung's Father.  Jung is emerging as his only remaining avenue to riches.  He grabs his coat and leaves the room.

As Big Shot stands on his terrace and takes  in the city lights, he is distracted by the sounds of a cat fight.

Big Shot runs downstairs and attempts to referee, but the two women pummel him before they realize he is there.

When Jung's sister enters their house looking much the worse for wear, their mother vows to beat the guano out of whomever mauled her daughter.  Until she learns that it was Jung.

Big Shot walks Jung to her door and tells her they will "Talk later."  When she asks if this means she "still has a chance" with him he reiterates that they will "Talk later."  As he prances off she looks bruised but happy.

Gil's Brother delivers some homemade dumplings to Hong.  They talk and he learns of his Stepmother's emergeny room visit for the first time.  Gil's Brother tries to talk with Hong about his Sister but Hong tells him that he doesn't think he should intervene in her relationship with Big Shot.

Hong returns home and gives the dumplings to Madame Goo.

Hong sits in his bedroom and recalls Gil telling him that she wasn't atracted to him out of pity.

Gil sits in her bedroom and recalls learning of Hong's kidney transplant.

While wiping tables in the Small Cafe, Jung's Father hears a phone ring.  It turns out that the Stepmother has left her phone behind and the hospital is calling to schedule a follow-up appointment.  He learns of her emergency room visit for the first time and wonders why she didn't tell him about it.

The Stepmother meets with Big Shot in her office.  She tells him to "give Gil some time."

When the Stepmother hands Big Shot some papers regarding her new house and asks him to register the deed under her name and

Jung's Father's name, he learns for the first time that they have registered their marriage.

Big Shot's jaw hits the table.  This is the most unheard of thing he has ever heard of.

After watching E35, I am starting to appreciate Jung In Jung. She does know her negative traits but she knows her limits and when to stop. She needs to be by her sister's side since her sister is going crazy.

And that scene with Kim ahjumma and con-prof, I have the same reaction as counterfeit gomo. Like what the heck? Anyways, Kim ahjumma will be conned soon. Registering the new house under her and con-prof name is not a good move. She sure is blinded by love and I pity her for being stupid and not see the reality. I really thought she's careful with things but now I think she's not. Someone please knocks some senses to Kim ahjumma!!!

I don't know what will happen between Suk Pyo and Eun Jo. Will Myung Jo tell his noona what Suk Pyo told him? After that wrong move she did with the marriage, Suk Pyo had a misunderstanding and thought she had move on even after Myung Jo giving him hints that she's not happy at all. I wish that at least one of them will make a move or else they'll be forever be heartbroken and the con-law will make good use of it. He sure is shameless.

Archived