[Drama 2017] Because This Is My First Life 이번 생은 처음이라

Go Seung Ji

Hi everyone, introduce myself.. I'm not hard core fans of both cast, but i'm quiet enjoying of their project. LMK since shut up flower boyband, JSM since playfull kiss. Their project and acting are enjoying and recommendated. Eventually since ep 1, i'm falling in love with their characters and its story and all.. Hahha... Ji Hoo and Se Hee have similirities and their differences is their weirdness.. Hahha.. So compatible. Hope forward, i can enjoy watch it till the end with laugh, smile, sad (i'm sad watch a scene in Ji Hoo family), and since it is aired in tvn, hope will see load of kissess, huggess, etc. Hahha

• Like 5

I think everyone has already expressed the same feels i got watching the 2 episodes of the drama. I like the fast pace so far. LMK as SH intrigues me. Why is he so stiff and detailed? I laughed that his loan is payable for 30 years? Did i catch it right?  He seemed to be intovert with only his cat as his companion. While JSM as JH seems adaptable even though she suffers alone. Find it funny that the same senior writer in this drama played exact role in TOL. Love that JH was able to express her thoughts on not liking the way the senior writer is making revissions on her story. At least she can be blunt when she needs to. i thought she would be timid.

That proposal was unexpected. Just like the kiss. Will we have unexpected twist every episode ending?:)

• Like 11

thanks @stroppyse for the explanation; guess I found it weird as people I know never quite lose their regional trill even if they live in more urban areas for decades. but then again, it is not like the accent could be a job impediment here and so there is no incentive to lose it... another question I had was the names. so is Ji Ho a really masculine sounding name? is it because of the meaning? made me wonder if her dad gave her a masculine name because he wanted a boy or something like that.. and what about See Hee? is that a feminine sounding name too? is there a meaning behind it as well?

waving at @daloula ~ hey ya! :) agree with you, really felt in the tunnel scene and it is something we can relate as we all have that kind of tunnel scene moment in our life. especially, when you feel like you have no one to turn to even though there are people in your life but you don't want to show them a side of you. there is nothing more lonely than being surrounded by people and yet feel utterly alone. more than romance, there really seems to be a kind of quiet loneliness and desperation in the drama. it is all poignant but it would be depressing if that mood remains till the end.

@lclarakl ~ yea, someone changing your story would be so frustrating and maddening. while the jerk assistant PD was awful, it seemed that he too was filled with a sense of desperation and anger that he wasn't quite making what he wanted to do. he had to bite his tongue and do stupid drama because that is the way of the world. in a way, her refusing to do the drama the way the makjang writer was suggesting meant the PDs would also be losing their opportunity to advance a little to the frontlines. 

guess, this is the dilemma that people in creative fields especially go through. if you have to make money enough to eat, then there has to be compromises. but then again, do you make so much compromises where you lose the joy of doing what you love and it starts to give you pain? but if you insist on doing your thing but there's no audience for it, then what exactly is the point? more than a romance, this drama seems to be leaning more towards question #2 that you wrote -- will she find her version of success? 

8 hours ago, jongski said:

Oh boy,  that was quick proposal.. no doubt he calculated the risk, the end result. He studied the pros and cons. But... but perhaps...there is something that triggered in his lonely existence.

it seemed more like an impulse triggered by his own loneliness as well @jongski; like you said, he knew that it was more than a bad dream that brought her there but he is perceptive enough to not just say anything. he really conveyed the loneliness of dating for the sake of it when he sighs and wonders whether he needs to text his blind date. there's not much conversation to have... based on the snippet of his family -- his mom is taking anxiety pills and worries she will get divorced if her son doesn't marry -- it feels like he doesn't see marriage or family as a positive experience. he also described marriage as doing military service again. hahahaha...

in ep 1, when they discussed the kiss, he said that relationships always cost us something whether it is emotions and energy. it is such a negative way of looking at relationships and sad that he doesn't see relationships as positive enriching but it also shows his kind of weariness where he constantly feels drained by the people in his life. in that way, both of them are similar and there is this fantastic comfort level with each other where they feel so relaxed to just watch a football game together. it is like they want people and company but folks they know just drain them out. so seeking someone who doesn't do that to you would be a kind of safe haven no? a place where you feel safe enough to just sleep and rest? so it didn't feel weird or out of place that he would propose marriage though he probably has some very practical outline of how it would all work out.

• Like 15

43 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

it seemed more like an impulse triggered by his own loneliness as well @jongski; like you said, he knew that it was more than a bad dream that brought her there but he is perceptive enough to not just say anything. he really conveyed the loneliness of dating for the sake of it when he sighs and wonders whether he needs to text his blind date. there's not much conversation to have... based on the snippet of his family -- his mom is taking anxiety pills and worries she will get divorced if her son doesn't marry -- it feels like he doesn't see marriage or family as a positive experience. he also described marriage as doing military service again. hahahaha...

in ep 1, when they discussed the kiss, he said that relationships always cost us something whether it is emotions and energy. it is such a negative way of looking at relationships and sad that he doesn't see relationships as positive enriching but it also shows his kind of weariness where he constantly feels drained by the people in his life. in that way, both of them are similar and there is this fantastic comfort level with each other where they feel so relaxed to just watch a football game together. it is like they want people and company but folks they know just drain them out. so seeking someone who doesn't do that to you would be a kind of safe haven no? a place where you feel safe enough to just sleep and rest? so it didn't feel weird or out of place that he would propose marriage though he probably has some very practical outline of how it would all work out.

Love your analysis of SH and JH! I'm lurking here because I'm still trying to recover from my withdrawal from MFIS. :bawling: But I'm loving this show so far! I hope that the two leads continue to be weird and compatible! :tongue:

• Like 12

Gosh. Whenever I see the abbreviation "JH" here I automatically read it as "Joong Hee" in my mind. :bawling: Father is Strange chinggus, I know we're all the same in this.

Don't worry chinggu, same here. HAHA. But I'm weirdly shipping LMK and JSM quite a bit (Stay strong my joonmin heart). They have so much and strong chemistry on and off screen. :wub: Really wish the drama great success!! 

8 hours ago, joonminfan said:

Love your analysis of SH and JH! I'm lurking here because I'm still trying to recover from my withdrawal from MFIS. :bawling: But I'm loving this show so far! I hope that the two leads continue to be weird and compatible! :tongue:

• Like 9

@Lmangla Yes, she came up with the excuse of woken up by a dream and needed to walk but ended up  at his place.  He knew something must've have happened  only said "i I guess it must've been a bad dream."

The scene on ep 2 when he came back to en empty room of JH he felt the pang of emptiness. He aaw the recycled stuff piling,  forgot to feed his kitty,  so he did , and then said whilst staring at JH room...  he said "actually,  what we need isn't marriage." I'm thinking is he looking for companionship? For comfort? For domestic balance?  The time that JH stayed there, he felt his algorithm bliss back.

The conversation between SH and his CEO buddy Sang Goo is something to ponder.  SG is egging SH to just get married. Let the father pay for the house. The latter said "there's nothing to it. Just get married" to which See Hee retort back "There's nothing much it. Just serve in the military again."  He asked what's the difference.

He said all SH has to do is endure an hour's marriage ritual, paying respect to the elders and that's it. SH said "so they just go home after the wedding?  the boss said " it's possible" he then went on to explain the types of couples:  show-window couples,  weekend couples, sexless couples  as if to say  marriage can be in name only and then you can just go back to how you are before- as a single man living the life that he wants.

But of course that's not how marriage works. The way that  SH retorted back, feels like he's saying to the boss,  well if there's nothing to it,  they why get married in the first place.  It's quite contradictory to how he's acting, to how he's feeling. There should be a purpose to the marriage. He calculates risk and long term end result of his life.  But like I said. He wouldn't propose to JH without analyzing how he wants it to be.  Would it be  show-window couples,  weekend couples, sexless couples?

I feel  the marriage to JH will suit his purpose in the beginning ie:  to please the mother, get some additional rental money from the father. But In the long run, his purpose will dissipate.  He's going to fall in love with her.  He wouldn't want to it to be just for the sake of marriage I know.  I can feel it.  If there's nothing to marriage then just why the heck get married after all.  And as he retort back "if it's nothing, just serve in the military again." is akin to saying for everything that one does, there should be equivalent purpose to it.

IG ctto

Perhaps there is back story why  he is how he is.  He said  "parents wants to fulfill their desires through their children"

He's got his own property  (payable by 30 years). He said  it's important to  own one. He's also prepared for his future making sure he's nearby a hospital. And he even told JH  the room she rented will be his own death place.  Is this foretelling what's going to happen?  This early in the drama, I want a happy ending.

And yes good acting by the leads Jung So Min and Lee Min Ki. Actually, I'm not familiar with Jung So Min. I must've have seen her other dramas but not sure.

PS:  Nice to see viewers enjoying this well written drama

• Like 13

59 minutes ago, jongski said:

He's got his own property  (payable by 30 years). He said  it's important to  own one. He's also prepared for his future making sure he's nearby a hospital. And he even told JH  the room she rented will be his own death place.  Is this foretelling what's going to happen?  This early in the drama, I want a happy ending.

And yes good acting by the leads Jung So Min and Lee Min Ki. Actually, I'm not familiar with Jung So Min. I must've have seen her other dramas but not sure.

PS:  Nice to see viewers enjoying this well written drama

Hi...

Good desglose of the two episodes. 

I don’t want to think he will die in the Drama …I rather think that he suffer Compulsive Obsessive Disorder.  prayer hands smiley

If you watcheed some of this Dramas you must have watched Joung So Min before. (, Bad Guy, Playfull Kiss, Can we get married?, Standby, Big Man, D-Day, The sound of your heart, Red Teacher and recently Father is Strange)

• Like 10

I watched the first two episodes and I like it very much already. And I have several reasons:

1. Reminds me a lot of "We married as a job" in a better way and is one of the only two japanese dramas I've watched in recent years.

2. My boyfriend is a software developer die-hard soccer fan. And he even watched the drama with me and loved those traits.

3. I have a brother like that. Same story, married her pregnant gf while he was still studying, living at my parents house and all that. And what Jiho told her brother's wife is true, the brother takes the wife's side and makes you do things for them and the baby -.-

4. The cat.

5. The leads. I've missed Lee Min-ki in a drama and Jung So-min is really adorable, I just watched her in My father is strange and before that as the funny Ae-bong in The sound of your heart and always liked her.

6. All the cameos. 

And that's it. I hope things get even better from here.

• Like 15
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, jongski said:

@Lmangla Yes, she came up with the excuse of woken up by a dream and needed to walk but ended up  at his place.  He knew something must've have happened  only said "i I guess it must've been a bad dream."

The scene on ep 2 when he came back to en empty room of JH he felt the pang of emptiness. He aaw the recycled stuff piling,  forgot to feed his kitty,  so he did , and then said whilst staring at JH room...  he said "actually,  what we need isn't marriage." I'm thinking is he looking for companionship? For comfort? For domestic balance?  The time that JH stayed there, he felt his algorithm bliss back.

In Ep 2 I could really feel the loneliness of both JH and SH. I actually felt the pangs in my own chest - that's how good their acting was. ^_^ Although JH has good friends and family, she still felt as if she couldn't show them this particularly vulnerable side of her, which was very real to me. We still do not know the back story of SH, and why he behaves/lives this way, but I could also feel that he must have been very lonely most of his life. I just hope that when these two get together, they can help heal each other's heart. Looking forward to the rest of the episodes, and hoping that the writing stays good! No unnecessary angst/pain please! I want a realistic, mature relationship! :tongue:

8 hours ago, shedp said:

Gosh. Whenever I see the abbreviation "JH" here I automatically read it as "Joong Hee" in my mind. :bawling: Father is Strange chinggus, I know we're all the same in this.

Don't worry chinggu, same here. HAHA. But I'm weirdly shipping LMK and JSM quite a bit (Stay strong my joonmin heart). They have so much and strong chemistry on and off screen. :wub: Really wish the drama great success!! 

Chinggu, my joonmin heart is still very strong! But that's for another thread. :rolleyes:

• Like 14

Hello I'm new to this thread, was invited by @camichi but I think I already got attached too this drama

Some said this drama is like Temperature of Love parody, I think it's such a discourtesy to this drama because to me, this drama is better and fresher than ToL , I can't finish ToL because I already can guessed what will happen, the drama is just too bland for me, BTIMFL is more flashy and exciting

I'm not a fan of Lee Minki but he really nailed his role here, I know he's a good actor and I'm glad he's the one who took this role. His character is really interesting, unlike other male lead characters, he's lot more interesting and I am really anticipating to see his character unfold more

Jung Somin, thanks to this drama we got to see her in new role and she get into character really well as always, I also love she got more screentime here and I hope this pattern will continue until last episode ^_^

• Like 13

She is nominated for her character in Father is strange as best supportive actress and popularity. For the second nomination International viewers can vote.

@eyjooniesh Dear happy to see you here. 

I like this scene a lot…He is like a Psychopath when he suddenly says that he will die in that room because of the ventilation, and her face. OMG the suspense music, it sounds like a horror movie.

shocked smiley

• Like 11

I just want to say this drama is ( for me anyway) the best in current drama airing.   And because it's worth repeating, excellent acting by Jung So Min! My favorite character from current drama airing right now. And Lee Min Ki mpressive and even if he's like odd and quirky character, he  exudes charisma. especially the way he  portrays his character. Yes, as @mslee said, it's fast pace and it's good. But  aside from the acting, what makes this even better is how well written the script is.

conversation during earlier  scene ep 2 before  he proposed to her....

JH:  Arent you getting married?  Well, people usually get married when they turn around your age. You own a house too.

SH: That's the usual the case.  But I'm single.

JH : I see. You won't get married.. forever?

SH:  Yes.  This house, Kitty, and myself. I'm willing to bear these three things only. I don't need to bear something that requires more  energy and cost.

JH: I see. So.. how much more time do you have left to pay off your loan?

SH: I just need to pay for 30 more years.

JH: What? ( she was shock. SH glared at her). Then you have to work all your life only for this house. Isn't that too much in vain. (She was still in shock and digesting  his reasons)

SH: There's nothing more certain than property in this country.

IG ctto

12 hours ago, camichi said:

If you watcheed some of this Dramas you must have watched Joung So Min before. (, Bad Guy, Playfull Kiss, Can we get married?, Standby, Big Man, D-Day, The sound of your heart, Red Teacher and recently Father is Strange)

Thank you chingu for telling me about the dramas of JSM.  I watch Bad Guy and several episodes of D-Day but didn't realize it's her. I've been meaning to watch Father Is Strange (during holiday off) once I'm done with the 3 jdoramas I'm currently watching as well. Yeah, I watch a lot of dramas not just kdrama but jdoramas cdramas tw dramas even.

And this is funny convo scene too.  JH telling SH nothing like a kiss again will happen and she'll not fall for him because  " You're not my type" to which SH replied. " The feeling is mutual." oh yeaahhhh right! I love 'em.  Watch the clip. :D:wub:

IG ctto

I realize Ji Ho and  See Hee is is somewhat like the mature version of Yeon Tae and Sang Min of drama Five Children ( fav otp)

• Like 14

And again, I mentioned smartly written drama.

He explains "neocortex" to JH who was feeling  emotionally down.

The neocortex is located at the out part of your brain, and in charge of the concept of  time like the age 20 or 30. Cats don't have neocortex unlike humans. So they don't get bored or depressed... even if they have the same food or do the same thing..in their same house in their own daily lives. Cats have neither a future nor a past. "I'm 20. I'm 30. II'm turning 40 soon" Only one kind of species locks themselves up in time. They're human beings.  Only human beings use their age to make others spend money... and draw their emotions. That's what humans got in exchange for evolution. Whether they're 30 or 40, it's the same today for the cats. -  Nam See Hee , Ep 1

IG ctto

Nam See Hee and his lonely existence comforted by kitty.

IG ctto

Edit to add:  @bebebisous33 you got time for one more drama? Would love to hear you thoughts for this and the characters.

• Like 10

After 2 episodes, I'm really loving this drama.  I'm a sucker of cohabitation rom-com and I find this a refreshing one, at least for me.  It's not like other dramas where bickering is usually the starting point of the OTP's interaction. With this type of beginning, it would be safe to say that their relationship would develop into a much solid one realistically because they're somewhat compatible.  What I love in the first 2 episodes are as follows: 

• How they bonded through common interest in football/soccer and have a nice conversation
  • How SH comforted JH  by his strange neocortex story and somehow gave me  a new found knowledge as well :D
  • The male lead character's robotic way of talking is amusing but interesting and sensible.
  • The tunnel scene somewhat reminds me that we, at one point in our life faced the same situation where you feel that you are walking in an endless darkness.
  • JH's lines that we have a side that we cannot show no matter how close we are to them is so true.  I can very much relate to this. :) 
  • I love her friends and how they bond.  I especially like So JI coz she seems to be the strongest among them and though she looks like snobbish is actually caring to her friends.
  • I love the ending of the first two episodes, the surprise kiss to a stranger and that she just wanted to have a good sleep after the marriage proposal. LOL

What I wish is that SH would fall first for JH.  It will surely be hilarious to see robotic Nam Se-Hee falls for Ji-Ho.

BTW, am I the only one that feels that JSM's look in this show is giving me a Yoon Eun Hye vibe ?

• Like 11

@jongski Thanks for the shout out and for the compliment as well, chingu!:) Honestly, I hadn't even noticed this drama, however your recommendation and the fact that I am not working right now (fall vacation) made me change my mind. That's why I watched the first two episodes in a row.

I agree with your analysis about Nam Se Hee. He must have analysed the pros and contras for the proposal. He would get rid of his mother and his father who would keep nagging. 

SH:  Yes.  This house, Kitty, and myself. I'm willing to bear these three things only. I don't need to bear something that requires more  energy and cost.

Moreover Ji Ho would never be a burden, like he indicated in these words because she was the one who took care of his home, Kitty and himself. She would be perfect for him. She would have a place to sleep. 

However, I feel that there is definitely more to it. NSH was already missing Ji Ho, not just because he was used that she would take care of the house and the cat. He was already missing her presence. Striking is that he even loved her very much, even before seeing her! Notice that his friend even noted that NSH was using an unusual expression concerning her. This illustrates that there are already feelings here. Sure, it is not love as he has no idea about her gender. Although they only met each other very late, they had got accustomed to each other very quickly. NSH felt her presence in his house: the cooking, the empty dustbins aso. He saw everything she did. I like this idea very much. As conclusion, they didn't feel lonely and empty thanks to each other, even without meeting each other which underlines how strong their connection was before their first meeting. They would communicate with notes and SMS. In my opinion, their couple is quite interesting. First, they like each other without knowing the true gender... then when they met for the first time (restaurant), they were able to confide to each other. They have similar taste (soccer) and she is able to act so genuinely in front of him. She touched him and acted as if she knew him. In other words, she felt comfortable and close to him. Then after her deception, she confides to him... and he acts as a friend who comforts her with words. Even if he didn't touch her at all, his comfort did touch her heart. She felt much better. And the kiss was a response for his speech. 

As conclusion, this couple's strength is the ability to talk to each other. We can clearly see that Ji Ho's parents are suffering from this flaw and I suspect that it is the same with SH's parents. The couples are unable to communicate to each other. JH's father acts like a tyrant hence he doesn't need to listen to his wife at all and I believe, SH's father must be quite similar. He must use his wife in order to have his wish come true: a marriage. He uses his wife as leverage against his son: he wants his son to follow his orders. That's the impression I've got after these two episodes. 

I can understand why NSH doesn't want to get married in the first place because he witnessed how a marriage can make people unhappy. The lack of real communication which results in the feeling of emptiness and loneliness is the cause of his mistrust in marriage. He must have noticed how his father was unsatisfied with his wife and his son as well, hence he is trying to live his life again through his son. If NSH had a wife, the father might feel less lonely... I believe the mother must feel the same.

A difference between NSH and JH is the way they are treated in their respected family. NSH wanted to have a home in order to escape his parents' control. If he had stayed at home, they would have controlled his life. With Ji Ho, this is the total opposite. She has always been overlooked... it was as if she never existed in her father's and brother's eyes. Both are feeling lonely for a different reason: one feels suffocated because they try to force their own wish onto him, whereas the other feels abandoned and insignificant because she is never asked about what she wants. She is used as a maid and even as an object. I can understand why Ji Ho chose "writer" as a career because there, she could finally express herself. Nevertheless, this is not really working because of the director and the other writer. Hence she is definitely frustrated. In the end, the marriage could give her a place to express herself... NHS complimented her for her work (house cleaning), asked her questions and even listened to her. Both are able to find a place where they are not overlooked or suffocated by others.

Let me know what you think about this analysis...

@saanjh sena Hello there!!:)

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Hello everyone!

I love LMK!

I love JSM!

But I never imagined them being paired in a drama, so this is awesome! :wub:

Just watched the 2 episodes earlier. And I like every bit of it. The things they say, it is reality.

I can totally relate with SH's planned life lol he is thinking about the future. He chose to have his own place even if he have to pay for 30 years (that is reality when you get a housing loan), choosing a place with a hospital nearby is a must for emergency purposes esp when we're older, and yes there's nothing more certain than having a property in this world (he said in this country but it also applies to other countries).

And JH's thoughts on starting to make her wish a reality, hit me hard. Each one of us have our own wishes/dreams but when are we going to start making them come true? This drama is making me think a lot lol but that is also the reason why I love BTIMFT.

I'm glad to see LMK in a drama again, he was so adorable in I Really Really Like You with Eugene, and Dal Ja's Spring. I'm looking forward to see him flash his smile in this drama. :wub:

Catch you all later :)

• Like 7