[Drama 2017] Because This Is My First Life 이번 생은 처음이라

Go Seung Ji

• 2 years later...

Was bored and had nothing to watch so started this drama as it was on my Netflix suggested list. I had no idea Mu-deok (er i mean Jung So-min) was here. I've was almost halfway into ep 1 and had this nagging feeling that I've seen her before. I was pleasantly surprised to find out it was her.

I like the storyline and having the cat is a plus for me lol.

Currently in ep 6 and Jung So-min was quite lovely in the plain wedding dress.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 2 months later...

I ended up bingewatching this drama as it came up as a suggestion on Netflix. I do remember it being a massive hit back in 2017, so I decided to take a chance. I was pleasantly surprised even though I stay away from romcoms from the most part.

I liked the main couple's message that they wanted to make their relationship work for them regardless of other people's expectations. Also, it was great to see that they allowed the other to be what they wanted to be and to do what they wanted to do. Neither tried to control the other person's actions, words or thoughts. I was glad to see the drama portray how to set healthy boundaries. The couple suffered from a lack of genuine communication expressing their wishes and feelings to the other party throughout the drama, but it seemed that when they got over that they were able to build a great relationship that worked for them. In the end they were able to express their feelings much more directly to the other party.

Relationships require constant management and the fact that they said they would revise their contracts on a yearly basis showed how they understood that. People's needs, situations and wishes evolve.

I will admit that I wasn't as invested in the other couples' stories, but I thought it was nice that they all had a happy ending.

This was the first time I have watched Lee Min Ki in a drama.  He suited the robotic See Ha well. Jung So Min was as good as always in this type of drama. The supporting actors did great too. I especially loved the motorbike café worker played by Kim Min Kyu. So charming :wub: I did have Second Lead Syndrome for a while. :D 

If I remember correctly, this drama wasn't a big hit domestically. It did manage to become the biggest hit internationally. It was kind of a sleeper hit that by word of mouth became a success in the international kdrama community as it was airing. I am wondering if it was partially because of the theme of the drama. Maybe the couple's relationship thoughts were too progressive at that time for k-netz? Not sure, but it would be interesting to know why it didn't do that well in Korea.

@Bojun I'm curious, did you finish this drama? If you did, what were your thoughts?

It made me smile to see this thread come  up again. I couldn't relate to the side couples very well, but the main couple just really struck home for me. I remember when I first started watching it, I was like, what is  the deal with the robot guy? But when he finally caved and admitted to having human feelings, it was just so, so satisfying. I loved the moments where despite his weirdness, he was the only one who really saw her for who she was. (Like at the wedding. Or with her writing.) Probably in every culture, there are these cultural expectations of what a person "must" do in a relationship--give flowers on a certain day, give jewelry, or do some other expected performance in a certain way for the other person. We get these ideas from dramas, too. But in reality, what is far more romantic is a person who knows YOU, and relates to you/does things for you in a very personal way, regardless of what stores or calendars or popular media dictate. I felt this drama really showed this.

• Awesome 1

On 8/20/2023 at 3:48 PM, partyon said:

@Bojun I'm curious, did you finish this drama? If you did, what were your thoughts?

@partyon Yes, I did finish the drama, and was glad that it was a happy ending. I also liked the OST and listening to it now.

I really wanted to give the ML character a knock on the head because of his weirdness. I guess it had to do with his unhappy first relationship, but seriously why let the past control your future.

I was also surprised with the low rating in Korea. 

• Awesome 1

@frozentundra @Bojun Thanks for your comments! 
:fullofhearts:

I will confess that I rarely watch romance dramas / romcoms anymore, but I was suddenly feeling like one. I checked which ones were rated the highest on MDL that I hadn’t watched, and then made the choice between Business Proposal and Because This is Your First Life. Since I remember this one generating such a buzz in 2017, I went for it. I wasn’t disappointed.

The ML character See Ha, was indeed very robotic. I was actually questioning how well the ML could act as the acting was so stiff. But in the end it was clear to me that the acting was on purpose when he broke down after being left behind.

I know @confusedheart fell for Lee Min Ki after this drama. :D 

I did not like the parting scene to be honest. I think it was a bit cruel that she just divorced him and acted all cold. He suffered so much. I wish she had instead communicated like an adult and explained to him what she was feeling and what she needed. I think she could have achieved the end goal in a different way.

I FFed a lot of the supporting couples’ scenes as I didn’t find their stories so compelling. I actually felt that the short couple had a pretty toxic relationship and I thought it would have been better for them to part ways and work on themselves first. Maybe find other partners. Especially the girl who kept playing games with him just to get married.

I was chatting with @Sleepy Owl dongsaeng as I was watching this drama and it was interesting to hear his perspectives as well. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2