Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2017] Because This Is My First Life 이번 생은 처음이라

3 hours ago, ddeokbokkii said:

After episode 3...what the hell did I just watch?. They didn't start their relationship with
love as most do, but their relationship started because they need each other??????. Hmmm,
this is a strange beginning of a relationship, but it's not impossible. If you watched this
far, you probably wonder as I'm, would their relationship work?. Will their relationship last?
Is this a love proposal? or is it a business proposal?. If it's a business proposal, will
this possibly blossom into romance one day?. I have to say, very good acting so far. The
story is simple, but the lead actor and actress definitely made me felt something start brewing
between the two of them. 

There's that quote, by Erich Fromm, "Immature love says: 'I love you because I need you.' Mature love says, 'I need you because I love you.'" I hope (I'm guessing) our lovely drama here will show our OTP move from immature love (not that they're calling it love, yet) to mature love. And it will be quiet and special, just like our leads.

• Like 10

11 hours ago, Jillia said:

Annyeong, chingus! :D

I guess I found myself a new drama to watch and hopefully to love. So far so good! This drama takes a been there-done that-premise and mixes in tiny twists and unpredictable moves by the characters. Apperently we also can't find gender stereotypes which is refreshing - aside from few characters (*cough* Ji-Ho's family *cough* and *cough* Se-Hee's family *cough*).

I wish we would get this drama everyday because it always feels like forever to pass another week for new episodes. :lol: But I'm willing to torture myself and wait for the live episodes instead of  bingewatching it after it aired. 

So hopefully I can join the discussions here to share the love for this drama. :wub:

@Jillia Hey. Nice to see you in this thread.  This drama is great. Good high quality writing and impressive acting plus  quirky characters all adds up to a good drama. Happy there's lots of  viewers watching this.

@stuartjmz I saw a tweet the actress who plays the mother  of NJH is the same one who played the mother in GG1979 ( w/c if viewers hasn't seen, one of the best/good drama of 2017) Just sharing.

Thanks for the updates.  I'm watching sub at the moment. Thoughts when I'm done.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, qynn said:

It seems like SH was envisioning more of a marriage of convenience than a contract marriage when he made his proposal. JH admitting that she was someone who would eventually need love and affection threw him, but he did accept her proposal, so I'm curious if he will approach it more from a contractual standpoint going forward. Or if they both will? 

So far this drama is a nice change from many of the, what I call, formula K-dramas.  They are both going into this marriage, both stating they don't "like" each other; therefore, it is a understood that it is a marriage of convenience.  However, we can see that they both are developing feelings for each other, even if they are in denial. I love the fact that they ended up proposing to each other.  It was a nice twist. We were led to believe, at the end of episode two, HJ said yes; therefore, I was pleasantly surprised that she did not accept right away, but finally came to the conclusion that SJ was what she needed.     

If the previews are any indication, we are in for some laughs, but along with the comedy this drama is bold enough to tackle serious issues.   As @Camillajames wrote it is great to see this drama tackle sexual assault in the workplace.  Until this recent sandal, many women have suffered in silence, organizations have covered it up and others have calked it up to the cost of climbing the corporate ladder.  No one, female or male should be sexual assaulted or harassed in the workplace. Harassment and sexual assault should never be necessary for one to move forward or to be recognized for their talent or hard work.

I am glad I stuck with this drama, I am very pleased with its progress so far.  

• Like 8

SHE'S PRETTY...... HE 'S DORKY....

THE PARENTS..... NO WORDS... !!! ( MAYBE ANNOYING AND LOUTISH )

LIFE IS NEVER THE SAME AGAIN.....

ARE YOU STILL SANE ???

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, CamelKnight said:

Park So Dam played main lead in Cinderella And The Four Knights. 

Thnx :) Yeah I try to be everywhere :D 

Oh man, speaking of being everywhere, I translated scenes of Cinderella and the Four Knights for the drama thread. I seem to jump into random dramas just to do a few translations from time to time, sometimes on request. Anyway, I know who you're talking about now. And, I kind of agree with you that there is a passing resemblance. Not so much that I would ever mistake one for the other, but they both have a certain soft quality to their faces and their eyes, and a certain adorableness to their demeanor which doesn't slip into aegyo, but rather a certain earnestness. Not sure I'm explaining this correctly.

Hi @Jillia!

• Like 8

IS THERE A WEDDING ?

Sorry haven't watched yet.....just back from " body sculpting " class..... ya ya ...  like fat farm drying out...

TOL cancelled

Will catch up later.

• Like 11

6 hours ago, cherryblossomkawai said:

Anyway It seems they will be married next episode and I just have to ask how she will pay rent without a job. I really hope she won't return to this a**holes. 

If his father honors his word, he will pay off SH's debt, he will not have to worry about mortgage.  Since SH will no longer need rent money, perhaps SH will allow JH to pursue she dreams and in turn she will continue to keep the house, make sure the cat is fed, take out the recycling, and cook.    

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

Oh man, speaking of being everywhere, I translated scenes of Cinderella and the Four Knights for the drama thread. I seem to jump into random dramas just to do a few translations from time to time, sometimes on request. Anyway, I know who you're talking about now. And, I kind of agree with you that there is a passing resemblance. Not so much that I would ever mistake one for the other, but they both have a certain soft quality to their faces and their eyes, and a certain adorableness to their demeanor which doesn't slip into aegyo, but rather a certain earnestness. Not sure I'm explaining this correctly.

Hi @Jillia!

You should definitely watch Cinderella And The Four Knights if you haven't :) It's fun, entertaining and Park So Dam is georgous :) 

Edited by CamelKnight
Oh yeah, hot men in there too
  • Like 7

WHEN YOU ARE CLUELESS ABOUT TAKING SELFIES ( WEFIES ? ) AND YOU TRIED TOO HARD AND IT CAME OUT LIKE

A MUGSHOT .... HAHA

Totally not cool  but his determination is undaunting.... an admirable trait

TOO FUNNY...... I THINK THERE IS A TABLE FLIPPING SCENE. I CAN LEARN A THING OR TWO.

• Like 13

Episode 5 preview and translation

SH: Those who have bet that I was a homosexual? I’m a heterosexual. I’m getting married.
SJ: When did you start dating him?
JH: Da…?
SH: Having a relationship as anything other than landlord and tenant is actually very uncomfortable.
HR: Since we’ve broken up, what’s the point in talking when all it does is make my mouth hurt…please convey that.
SG: That’s because it was so deep.
WS: Oh, that’s what it was. Ow!
SH: It’s my wedding, so I must go to it.
SH: It will be a very short and simple wedding.

Fun preview. I'm really enjoying LMK's deadpan deliveries.  And, I guess the wedding is in the next episode. :)  @mapleoaks4, tagging you since you asked for the preview.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 5

I feel that each preview are the next two episode.

I love the pace of this show and the moment they decide to show other character. Because of it, we get good otp moment but I don't feel it's too fast. After episode 2 and the preview I was hoping for episode 3 to show us the wedding already but I am very happy with this week episode.

• Like 10

OST part 2:

preview ep5

clips ep4

Spoiler

Edited by CamelKnight
Moved one more video to the spoiler to keep it per the rules :)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

I loved episode 3. Still have to watch episode 4 but I will only get to watch it tomorrow with subtitles. I don't want to assume or read anything wrong and get scolded for skewing information and posting untruth.

I am really warming upto the main leads. How weird that the show that I had the least expectancy from is my most liked while the show I did have great expectations from is not that interesting to me. Also, I can't believe they are actually getting married so soon. For some reason, I expected them to live as roommates and fiance for some more episodes.

BTW, @packmule3 I am watching this show. :D Also, @vangsweetie637 and @kaoriharang can you guys join me? I know you both are watching this show. @mslee Yes, that was clear disappointment. LOL.

I am really loving how the writer is handling rape culture and how females are treated in a long term relationship or even the workplace where the female is competent and powerful with a no nonsense personality. I can't tell you guys how disgusted and upset I was with JH's team trying to pressure and shame her into letting go of her sexual assault. I am glad she stood up for herself. Like the saying goes, speak the truth, even if you are alone and your voice shakes. Bravo to our girl. I was really proud of her. I am still hoping that somehow this will all work out for her and she won't have to give up her dream of being a writer. It would be very unfair if she ends up loosing her career when that sleezebag goes on to become a PD.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I just started this on episode 1 -2 and I am in love. The writing is very poignant  and I am overly in love with SH and JH. They're definitely a match for each other and I cannot wait until they fall in love with one another especially when SH falls for JH given his life is algorithm and he don't want anything mess up with his algorithm and yet there is JH that is slowly changing his "algorithm". 

Definitely love how much they influence each other and with them together, they're going to change for the better with each other support. 

• Like 9

I totally loved ep 3 and 4! They were funny and the pace of each episode is great not too fast nor too long. I can't to see what will happen between the both of them :lol:

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Carmarie said:

So far this drama is a nice change from many of the, what I call, formula K-dramas.  They are both going into this marriage, both stating they don't "like" each other; therefore, it is a understood that it is a marriage of convenience.  However, we can see that they both are developing feelings for each other, even if they are in denial. I love the fact that they ended up proposing to each other.  It was a nice twist. We were led to believe, at the end of episode two, HJ said yes; therefore, I was pleasantly surprised that she did not accept right away, but finally came to the conclusion that SJ was what she needed.     

we shared same thoughts here... and with that two marriage proposals, it means they considering marrying each other... they both asked the same necessary question in a relationship between man and woman: DO YOU LIKE ME? And they answered NO hahahaha, these two is really connected, heart and soul...

My kind of Monday is stressful every time , and this kind of drama is like a chill pill,  its really lovable and laughable.

• Like 15

@YourHighness . chingu!!! I have missed you!! *hugs* yes I am watching this show as well and thoroughly enjoying it. But i still have to catch up on the episodes. I left off on episode 1 only haha. Once I catch up, i will be joining you and everyone else here for spazz and discussions :wink:

• Like 7

Alright, so let's talk about episode 3...

I was laughing out loud when Se Hee was leaving to go to work and thought Ji Ho's snoring was his neighbor's construction. That was so funny, but it also warmed my heart that she was able to finally rest and sleep, because subconsciously she felt really comfortable there. Most people don't sleep well in other people's homes, so for her to sleep so hard and so soundly like that was very telling.

The senior writer, director and producer ganging up on Ji Ho at the dinner and trying to sweep the sexual assault under the rug was so Weinstein-Hollywood like that I had to pause the drama for a moment. What really got to me was the senior writer acting all syrupy sweet to her and trying to cajole her into just letting it go. WOMEN NEED TO STAND BY AND SUPPORT OTHER WOMEN! How do you just let something like that go? And how does an apology fix it? I was clapping and bouncing up and down when Ji Ho told them she quit and got out of there. Yes Ji Ho, you did very well. Good job!

I just want to point out the despair of that situation and how even then Ji Ho did not feel like she could go home. Her parent's home, with her father and his misogynistic ways and her mother quietly suffering in silence has had an impact on her. For her to leave home straight out of college and move to Seoul and work tirelessly as a writer shows me that she is not in love with the "traditional idea of marriage". It was nice to hear her mother say she could come home, but it did not take much to convince her otherwise.

Se Hee showed such growth and maturity in this episode. He was genuinely worried about Ji Ho. Even though she didn't tell him about the assault or the writer taking over her project, he knew she had suffered and expressed such genuine concern and empathy that it threw her off. She still had not gotten over his proposal of convenience, but his explanation of the proposal did me in. 

"Because it was you."

Four simple words, but boy were they powerful. Most "normal" people don't know how to be that vulnerable, and here he was pouring his heart out to her in a simple way that was so meaningful and sweet. The extra step he took to bring the scripts she'd left behind. But nothing was more telling than when he asked her if she liked him and she said no. His disappointment was immediate. This couple is so likable in such an off-beat and fun way.

I can already tell that her friend that has been in the long-term relationship is going to have heart ache. I will tell any woman, never give up all of your good years to a man. Her friend has pretty much spent her 20's with her boyfriend and she doesn't even seem to have a promise ring, let alone any other sign of commitment. My third eye is tingling, something is awry.

Her other friend that works with all of those neanderthals, I love her! Whether she remembers Se Hee's colleague or not, she got him good on that rooftop. His timing was bad. Here he had just seen her dealing with high-key sexism and low-key sexual harassment and he chose that time to travel down memory lane about their night together. Serves him right.

• Like 21

Is anyone else heavily reminded of Nigehaji (we married as job), the jdrama, when watching this? There's certain elements and characteristics from the two leads, and sort of the plot that are very similar. 

• Like 9