[Drama 2017] Because This Is My First Life 이번 생은 처음이라

Go Seung Ji

3 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

yusefull, I just want to say that I love reading all that you wrote, especially the last sentence.  I've never watched The Graduate (shame on me).  The last few minutes of episode 4, started with JH staring at her beloved The Graduate movie poster (a nod to her love of writing and her impulsive nature - running away to attend Seoul National Uni against her dad's wish like the characters in the movie) to scene of both JH/SH running to catch the bus in their wedding attire was lifted off the ending of The Graduate huh?  JH's wedding dress and her beige french coat resembled Dustin Hoffman and  Anne Bancroft's clothing colors. The look on their faces... what now?  the uncertainty on her face... about the future and what will happen to them now.  All we need was The Sound of Silence playing in the background.

In the graduate, dustin hoffman character stop the wedding and run away with the bride and they take off on a bus. They sit in the back all smiling and look at each other. At this point they realise that they were in the moment and realise they don't know what will happen now. They stop smiling. they stop looking at each other and look in front of them. It's very realistic because in other movie they stop just after they run away and don't show us that they may have screw up.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, yusefull said:

In the graduate, dustin hoffman character stop the wedding and run away with the bride and they take off on a bus. They sit in the back all smiling and look at each other. At this point they realise that they were in the moment and realise they don't know what will happen now. They stop smiling. they stop looking at each other and look in front of them. It's very realistic because in other movie they stop just after they run away and don't show us that they may have screw up.

yeah.. it's a wonderful and so appropriate nod to that movie.  I keep wondering what the significance in her poster until that scene.  hahaha

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

yeah.. it's a wonderful and so appropriate nod to that movie.  I keep wondering what the significance in her poster until that scene.  hahaha

Spoiler

They do it often. Like I was talking with someone before, I think they use poster often. And I now get what the poster mean.

The 2 hands are the ten players (the black on the finger) and the goal keeper (the hands) in a football team. They are together but the goal keeper is a lonely position. The two leads are not alone in this world but they both feel lonely (he even seek it).

At the JH family dinner (and at other moment) when for the dad you hear lyon, for SH you hear dog noise (don't remember and must rewatch it but I think you hear them too for her at other moment).

Edited by bebebisous33
quoted picture. Please next time remove it
  • Like 7

My current favorite drama right now! I'm glad that I have a new one because Age Of Youth 2 was already finished.

What I really like about this one is I'm not shipping them so bad. Not in a bad way of course, I want them to be the end game. But I have this habit that when I'm watching Kdrama, I want the main characters to end up together, expect them to have sweet moments and always be on the screen but on this I just let the characters to do their own thing and let myself to expect nothing because the story ALWAYS SURPRISES ME and I really love that. And I'm fine when they're not around because the side characters are equally amazing. 

• Like 9

this drama is way to fun to watch. there just so many good scene. i hope the writer will keep this up.

that dinner scene with JH family was fun to watch. good thing JH ask her friend how to kiss up to the parent. it did come in handy when her father get all mad about the news of JH/SE married.

i cant blame SH for choosing i will never let your daiughter hand get wet to JH pa. that one is the least embress out of the 4.

i cant blam JH freind for thinking her bf going to ask her to married him. though she did seem like a woman that get upset easy.

thought that seem of JH friend taking her anger out on her friend was a little out of line.

i cant wait to see how JH will be like when meeting SH parent.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, hushhh said:

I love the female friendship in this drama.

As much as I am enjoying this drama, I know that I am enjoying it because I anticipate SeHee changing. 

If this drama was a potential lover I'd run away because the rule is, never date anyone assuming they will change from who they show you to be into a prince charming.

@hushhh, I too can't wait to see SeHee change--especially, realizing that he's falling in love with her. He does things that are very considerate of her. Even him giving her a break on the rent. In his mind, it's all about need money for rent, yet he's giving her a discount on the money he needs. Then he offers her money. He's even considerate of her on the bus. I can't wait for the realization that may be he likes her.

• Like 14

32 minutes ago, lclarakl said:

@hushhh, I too can't wait to see SeHee change--especially, realizing that he's falling in love with her. He does things that are very considerate of her. Even him giving her a break on the rent. In his mind, it's all about need money for rent, yet he's giving her a discount on the money he needs. Then he offers her money. He's even considerate of her on the bus. I can't wait for the realization that may be he likes her.

Was thinking, if their company went IPO... the boys will be financially secure, See Hee won’t need a rentee, loan will payoff.  Will he dissolve the marriage?  It will force him to reeval his feelings.

WS and SG’s relationships to the other girls may change too I’d think.

• Like 9

@jongski @bedifferent @tianaa @p3rsephone @evie7 @sakura2016 @USAFarmgirl

Didn't anyone notice that JH kept mentioning 2 years as if it was a marriage limited in time?

In this post, I would like to comment more on the other couples. Actually, I can understand SW's reaction. Sure, he has his flaws: he seems to be too idealistic and less pragmatic. To me, he is waiting for a marriage because he is not financially stable. We see that he is actively looking for investors so he is not lazy. But if we look at HR's reaction, she has this picture in her head: She gets married and they move to a bigger house. So she has definitely associated marriage to moving up the social ladders which SW can not give her right now. So why should he propose? Has she ever asked him, why he never proposed to her in the 7 years ? Either he hasn't thought about it or he is waiting for the right moment: he is successful in his work. Honestly I am opting more for the second option.

Moreover, HR never talked directly to SW about marriage, she implied it with the couch but HR shouldn't have behaved like that. To me,  HR is way too emotional and selfish. Notice that in her anger on the rooftop, she only talked about herself: her body, her womb, aso. It was never about SW and his dream, his feelings aso. Sure, I can understand her disappointment but let's be honest: the way she talked about her future marriage, she really wanted to boast in front of the coworkers. She likes to be admired because deep down, she is unsatisfied. To me, she doesn't see SW's qualities. Even if he hasn't got a good job, he is so caring. He picks her up, when she finishes late. He will do anything to fulfill any wish from her. Yes, HR needs to realise SW's true value. She should stop focusing on marriage as a goal... because by thinking so, she could marry anyone in the end, as long as the partner gives her what she has been looking for: a big house where she can have children. With other words, love doesn't seem to be so relevant to her, if she keeps thinking like that.

As for the other couple: MSG is just so full of himself. He thinks as womanizer that he can impress women. When he helped JS, he thought, she would be grateful and jump onto him. Yet JS saw right through him and kept her distance from him. This man also thinks that he is superior to SW and SH, when it comes to women and marriage. In my opinion, he will be the last one to get his girl. He needs to learn a lot.

While SH comes as a little off (emotionless and detached), SH seems to be the best man from all the three because he is a good observant. Then he is a good listener and doesn't get upset so easily. Through his rational thoughts, he is able to communicate to his partner properly so that they don't have conflicts, while the other two men have issues with communication and listening. JH and SH are created to underline the contrast to the other couples. There might be no obvious feelings but they are attentive to each other. There was no real difference between the couple in the subway and JH/SH. SH also gave her the seat, when one was free, but he left her to go to another seat, while the man remained by his girlfriend's side. However, he revealed his caring side again. Then we can also observe that he is not greedy as he was able to reduce the rent. It is clear that he needs the money to pay the loan... so their arrangement look like a married couple, where the wife needs to work in order to pay the house. 

• Like 23

The scene at the bus station was priceless. Ji-Ho knew that if she leave Seoul that night,
she could have missed her only chance of a possible relationship with a great guy. At her
age, 30's years old, she must realize that her chance of find a perfect partner is slipping 
away further and further. I think this is why she ran back to confirm Se-Hee previous proposal.
But, when he asked her "do you like me?". Se-Hee expected her to answer "No", but the
audience can feels that he's hoping for a "Yes". Being a gentleman and bind by a fake marriage
contract, he has to keep his end of the bargain so Ji-Ho can share the apartment with him. 
And so far, he did just that. The question now is, who will break the ice first in this 
strange living arangement. But, we have to wait till next week for follow up episodes to find
out. ARRRRRGGGRRRRRRHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! Who the hell invented the calendar?. Do
we need it?. Sometimes I feel like smacking the bastard who invented the calendar upside his
head. ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 9
  • LOL 3

19 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

@jongski @bedifferent @tianaa 

Didn't anyone notice that JH kept mentioning 2 years as if it was a marriage limited in time?

Sorry to cut your post.

http://program.tving.com/tvn/tvnfirstlife/17/Board/List

From the preview of EP4 in the official webpage by Google translate, it did mentioned they have the "2-year marriage process".

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

GIRL TALK : SUMMARY

JH is crazy / alternately the nicest person

SJ has bad personality ( friendly tone not badmouthing )

HR dissatisfied with her bf . Worried about her going-to-expire-womb ?

Harvard University and Seoul National University have a special reverence . Always spoken of in awe. ( Love Story In Harvard anyone ?  ) Harvard is consistently ranked number 1.

Spoiler

Spoiler

GOSH...... THIS FATHER NEEDS ANGER MANAGEMENT .

BUT IN HIS WAY HE CARES FOR HER AS LONG AS SHE OBEYS HIM. IT"S TOUCHING HE BROUGHT FOOD FOR HER..... ONLY TO FLY INTO A TEMPER.

On a lighter note , surely all PDs must have heard how fans talk bout flipping tables so here's a lessonson how to... A well flipped with food flying like snowflakes

Fantasy fact...... how we always whine and gripe about flipping tables when....

#tragic ending ( Korean fascination with cancer, leukemia, brain tumour, etc... )

#open ending  ( sloppy writing or cowardly way to contain angry fans )

# not enough fan service

• Like 11

@tianaa @YourHighness . after watching the 4th episode I alter my impression of SH being disappointed at the ending of episode 3 after he got JH's answer that she does not like him. That ending scene with the camera panning away was misleading because in the next episode we see that there was no reaction at all after he heard her answer. I agree that somehow he felt relief that he will be in a situation where there will be no attachments other than their usual landlord and tenant relationship. 

it's ironic that both believed everything will be the same or will be under control once they proceeded with their plans of getting married. it will be interesting to see how they will realize that marriage is not only about 2 consenting parties but everyone closest in their lives will be [affected] involved as well by the marriage. :D I think SH will change..for the better with JH around.

• Like 11

I didn't like that JS and HR called JH crazy because it sounds so negative. I rather see her as really brave and determined in her pursuit to achieve her dream. Unlike her two friends, JH is proactive. That's exactly why they are describing her as crazy in the end. That way, they won't appear so weak compared to her. JH had it definitely more tough than JS and HR.

JS and HR have something in common. The former wants to become a CEO, yet she accepts to be just an employee who is used and even abused by her superiors and her male colleagues. The 4 episodes proved us that JS has the brain, the energy and the connections to become a CEO. She accepts to be treated like an object (their gazes are like lasers who are unclothing her), her only revenge or in order to relieve her stress, she treats men as objects as well hence she doesn't remember MSG. HR is similar: her dream is to get married but she waits for SW's move. She has already painted her marriage and future: a big house and children. If you look at her dream, you realise that she is depending on the man. He has to earn the money moreover she is not the one who proposes to the man. We shouldn't forget that here again there is a significant contrast with JH:

- our protagonist quits her job, as she could no longer accept the mistreatment. JS never complains and accepts everything

- JH even proposes to SH - not HR

Besides, I would like to give another reason why JS got mad at HR. Since JS worked in an environment hostile to women (they treat single women as objects and inferiors), she is well aware how lucky HR is with SW. The latter treats HR and women in general with such a respect. He paid for JS's help. He picks her up, he does anything to make HR happy. He even apologises, when he doesn't need to. HR has no clue, how lucky she is with SW, hence I said earlier that she doesn't perceive SW's true value. That's the other big reason why JS got furious. This made me realise that SW could actually be the trigger JS needs in order to become a CEO. SW is actually looking for investors and we all know that JS is working in that field. She has the connection and everything else (strength and skills) in order to make it happen. It would be great, if SW and JS worked together. 

As conclusion, JH and SH are similar. Both are not passive, they are proactive in their pursuit of their dream. The landlord wanted to be free from his parents, JH wanted to become a writer. Both never accepted their father's decision.

@jongski @evie7 @p3rsephone @USAFarmgirl @sakura2016 @bedifferent @tianaa @lavender2love

• Like 14

@bebebisous33 reading your analysis of the three girls above.. i realized that JH sometimes looks indecisive in some scenes but when she reached a certain limit she will be firm in her decision and go ahead whatever it takes.. whatever the downside of her decisions,  like when she quit her job..it's a tough decision but because she thought self preservation... or valuing herself more is important she never regretted it. Regarding her marriage...i believe it was not a spur of the moment thing for her. It has always been at the back of her mind and unconsciously she weighs the pros and cons without really realizing them. That's why when she heard she was needed she was touched and contemplated on it for a while. And when she was presented by the opportunity... she took it and courageously asked.

• Like 10

50 minutes ago, mslee said:

@bebebisous33 reading your analysis of the three girls above.. i realized that JH sometimes looks indecisive in some scenes but when she reached a certain limit she will be firm in her decision and go ahead whatever it takes.. whatever the downside of her decisions,  like when she quit her job..it's a tough decision but because she thought self preservation... or valuing herself more is important she never regretted it. Regarding her marriage...i believe it was not a spur of the moment thing for her. It has always been at the back of her mind and unconsciously she weighs the pros and cons without really realizing them. That's why when she heard she was needed she was touched and contemplated on it for a while. And when she was presented by the opportunity... she took it and courageously asked.

I wouldn't describe her as indecisive, rather as compliant. She was raised that way. Her father was so commanding that she never dared to defy him. She has learnt to live that way. Therefore when people around her use their power in order to impose their will, she will concede to it but like you said, to a certain extent. Deep down, she has set boundaries that she can be used but NOT ABUSED! That's why she left the flat to her brother. She knew, they would abuse the situation. 

Notice that she didn't confront her father, she just ran away from him, when she wanted to make her dream come true. She acted behind his back, just like her mother. Besides, during the dinner, you could notice the influence of JH's mother over the husband. She didn't move at all and asked her husband to sit down. So she is compliant but she still has some influence over him. (But not enough in my opinion).

But you are right: it is self-preservation in the end. On the other hand, JS doesn't show her dissatisfaction in front of the others, whereas HR does the exact opposite. She literally screams and cries, when she is unhappy. HR will blame her boyfriend, while JS will blame the circumstances, although they are partially responsible for their situation, since both never really expressed themselves, although they had the opportunity. JH never had the chance to express herself in her family. Only with 20, she could make a wish for the first time. HR could have been more explicit in her wish, JS could also complain about the harassment but she doesn't. As you can conclude, JH's friends are more extrem in their reactions.  

• Like 12

Hmm... a programmer (or close to it) needs a housemate that is able to do the housework and chores, is stoic, very meticulous about finance down to the penny, and is pressured to get married by parents? The girl, almost a decade younger, has family problems so she can't live at home, has job problems so she can't afford rent, and so willingly goes into a sham marriage with the former?

The minute details may be different, but the overall premise sounds A LOT like Nigeru wa Haji da ga Yaku ni Tatsu (aka Full Time Wife Escapist). Considering that was my favourite drama of 2016, that's actually high praise. I highly doubt Because this is My First Life will be as good (especially when 20th Century Children is frigging awesome and it's airing at the same time) but it's certainly now in my watch list because of it.

• Like 4

GIRL FALLOUT.....!! ( AS BEFITTING A CHICK LIT )

It's so exhaustive to follow HR preoccupation with her aging womb , her fallopian  tube , which of course is a doublespeak for desiring marriage and motherhood. To her womb has a life of it's own , with a lifespan of 30 years old., a do or die situation. Her's is a case of social conditioning whereby a proposal followed by marriage is the be all .

Her outburst of disappointment is inconsolable. She even alienated her friends.

SJ has more the modern liberated woman's outlook ..... she smokes, have protected sex , is single and successful , caring to JH ,is her own woman and that marriage is nothing. Though I'm wondering if she's  having an affair ? Or is moving into a corner of being forced into " pleasing " her big client to score sales ? Even if she's not she may come to point when her ambition be a driving force..Please help me understand the scene in spoilers. 

JH is at this point is confronting  her own dilemma and what she needs over the conventions and expectations of marriage, But I think her's has the star smiling more on her as the future unfolds because NSH has the most potential to turn 360 degrees into a man hit by love, companionship and fulfillment and that will give the show that wonderful feel good feeling . A belief in the basic higher value of falling in love, of love ,of being joined in one with the one you love. They come with embraces, hugs and hand holding. Me old fashion..... hahaha.

The three friends' choices will definitely impact their lives. I'm interested to know how they progress with their diverse views on relationships . Will their friendship hold or be torn asunder ?

Spoiler

Spoiler

GI

• Like 8