[Drama 2017] Because This Is My First Life 이번 생은 처음이라

Go Seung Ji

57 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

Oh man, speaking of being everywhere, I translated scenes of Cinderella and the Four Knights for the drama thread. I seem to jump into random dramas just to do a few translations from time to time, sometimes on request. Anyway, I know who you're talking about now. And, I kind of agree with you that there is a passing resemblance. Not so much that I would ever mistake one for the other, but they both have a certain soft quality to their faces and their eyes, and a certain adorableness to their demeanor which doesn't slip into aegyo, but rather a certain earnestness. Not sure I'm explaining this correctly.

Hi @Jillia!

You should definitely watch Cinderella And The Four Knights if you haven't :) It's fun, entertaining and Park So Dam is georgous :) 

Edited by CamelKnight
Oh yeah, hot men in there too
  • Like 5

WHEN YOU ARE CLUELESS ABOUT TAKING SELFIES ( WEFIES ? ) AND YOU TRIED TOO HARD AND IT CAME OUT LIKE

A MUGSHOT .... HAHA

Totally not cool  but his determination is undaunting.... an admirable trait

TOO FUNNY...... I THINK THERE IS A TABLE FLIPPING SCENE. I CAN LEARN A THING OR TWO.

• Like 11

I feel that each preview are the next two episode.

I love the pace of this show and the moment they decide to show other character. Because of it, we get good otp moment but I don't feel it's too fast. After episode 2 and the preview I was hoping for episode 3 to show us the wedding already but I am very happy with this week episode.

• Like 8

I loved episode 3. Still have to watch episode 4 but I will only get to watch it tomorrow with subtitles. I don't want to assume or read anything wrong and get scolded for skewing information and posting untruth.

I am really warming upto the main leads. How weird that the show that I had the least expectancy from is my most liked while the show I did have great expectations from is not that interesting to me. Also, I can't believe they are actually getting married so soon. For some reason, I expected them to live as roommates and fiance for some more episodes.

BTW, @packmule3 I am watching this show. :D Also, @vangsweetie637 and @kaoriharang can you guys join me? I know you both are watching this show. @mslee Yes, that was clear disappointment. LOL.

I am really loving how the writer is handling rape culture and how females are treated in a long term relationship or even the workplace where the female is competent and powerful with a no nonsense personality. I can't tell you guys how disgusted and upset I was with JH's team trying to pressure and shame her into letting go of her sexual assault. I am glad she stood up for herself. Like the saying goes, speak the truth, even if you are alone and your voice shakes. Bravo to our girl. I was really proud of her. I am still hoping that somehow this will all work out for her and she won't have to give up her dream of being a writer. It would be very unfair if she ends up loosing her career when that sleezebag goes on to become a PD.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I just started this on episode 1 -2 and I am in love. The writing is very poignant  and I am overly in love with SH and JH. They're definitely a match for each other and I cannot wait until they fall in love with one another especially when SH falls for JH given his life is algorithm and he don't want anything mess up with his algorithm and yet there is JH that is slowly changing his "algorithm". 

Definitely love how much they influence each other and with them together, they're going to change for the better with each other support. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Carmarie said:

So far this drama is a nice change from many of the, what I call, formula K-dramas.  They are both going into this marriage, both stating they don't "like" each other; therefore, it is a understood that it is a marriage of convenience.  However, we can see that they both are developing feelings for each other, even if they are in denial. I love the fact that they ended up proposing to each other.  It was a nice twist. We were led to believe, at the end of episode two, HJ said yes; therefore, I was pleasantly surprised that she did not accept right away, but finally came to the conclusion that SJ was what she needed.     

we shared same thoughts here... and with that two marriage proposals, it means they considering marrying each other... they both asked the same necessary question in a relationship between man and woman: DO YOU LIKE ME? And they answered NO hahahaha, these two is really connected, heart and soul...

My kind of Monday is stressful every time , and this kind of drama is like a chill pill,  its really lovable and laughable.

• Like 13

Alright, so let's talk about episode 3...

I was laughing out loud when Se Hee was leaving to go to work and thought Ji Ho's snoring was his neighbor's construction. That was so funny, but it also warmed my heart that she was able to finally rest and sleep, because subconsciously she felt really comfortable there. Most people don't sleep well in other people's homes, so for her to sleep so hard and so soundly like that was very telling.

The senior writer, director and producer ganging up on Ji Ho at the dinner and trying to sweep the sexual assault under the rug was so Weinstein-Hollywood like that I had to pause the drama for a moment. What really got to me was the senior writer acting all syrupy sweet to her and trying to cajole her into just letting it go. WOMEN NEED TO STAND BY AND SUPPORT OTHER WOMEN! How do you just let something like that go? And how does an apology fix it? I was clapping and bouncing up and down when Ji Ho told them she quit and got out of there. Yes Ji Ho, you did very well. Good job!

I just want to point out the despair of that situation and how even then Ji Ho did not feel like she could go home. Her parent's home, with her father and his misogynistic ways and her mother quietly suffering in silence has had an impact on her. For her to leave home straight out of college and move to Seoul and work tirelessly as a writer shows me that she is not in love with the "traditional idea of marriage". It was nice to hear her mother say she could come home, but it did not take much to convince her otherwise.

Se Hee showed such growth and maturity in this episode. He was genuinely worried about Ji Ho. Even though she didn't tell him about the assault or the writer taking over her project, he knew she had suffered and expressed such genuine concern and empathy that it threw her off. She still had not gotten over his proposal of convenience, but his explanation of the proposal did me in. 

"Because it was you."

Four simple words, but boy were they powerful. Most "normal" people don't know how to be that vulnerable, and here he was pouring his heart out to her in a simple way that was so meaningful and sweet. The extra step he took to bring the scripts she'd left behind. But nothing was more telling than when he asked her if she liked him and she said no. His disappointment was immediate. This couple is so likable in such an off-beat and fun way.

I can already tell that her friend that has been in the long-term relationship is going to have heart ache. I will tell any woman, never give up all of your good years to a man. Her friend has pretty much spent her 20's with her boyfriend and she doesn't even seem to have a promise ring, let alone any other sign of commitment. My third eye is tingling, something is awry.

Her other friend that works with all of those neanderthals, I love her! Whether she remembers Se Hee's colleague or not, she got him good on that rooftop. His timing was bad. Here he had just seen her dealing with high-key sexism and low-key sexual harassment and he chose that time to travel down memory lane about their night together. Serves him right.

• Like 18

Started watching this show for Lee Min Ki, and my feelings are mixed, which is why I hesitated commenting on this drama. 

After watching the newest episodes it started reminding of what I heard about a famous jdrama from last year, title translated to "Running away is shameful but useful" (Nigeru wa hachi daga yaku ni tatsu). It was originally a manga, then adapted to a tv-series and quite successful, the story about a young woman changing from temporary job to temporary job, trying to find meaning in life and be useful to other ppl, who entered into a contract marriage with a successful young man with a slightly strange temper. Both were quite satisfied with the contract marriage much like an employer and employee are satisfied with each other, but later fall in love.

After I wrote the above: Is this show really not a korean adaptation of the above mentioned jdrama? Did I miss something? If so please tell me then I'll edit this post.

Aside from this, there are some points about this drama that disturb me, others that touch me, sometimes both at the same time. I often find the jokes funny and most characters flawed but likable.

I don't remember watching a kdrama lately or ever where discrimination of women is so explicitly and repeatedly shown. Having been almost raped by her colleague the female protagonist is expected by everyone to just let "some petty thing like this" slide and act as if nothing had happened, the sexual harassement her friend has to face everyday (and despite her fiery character, cannot say a word against), the way her father treats her like she was less than half as much worth as her brother and thinks of himself as the god of his family (as we see from the preview it seems even worse with the male protagonist's father). I think this is a first for me in kdrama (in cdramas it's quite often I think, or maybe that's just reality). We often see women portrayed as weak, stupid, and unable to save themselves in any situation, their only strength being endurance, or rudeness towards those who cannot defend themselves, utterdy dependent on men in all life situations, which rather obviously reflects the way koreans view women. But to make the insult and assaults of men towards women this obvious throughout almost every episode is new to me. I guess it's a good thing because such things need to be addressed, but I do feel uncomfortable watching this and have the urge to slap the men across the face and shake the women because how can they allow such things to happen to them and take it as something you can only accept or run from but not fight against?

The other friend of the heroine reminds me of a friend of myself, who decided that after having been together for 4 years (and living together for 1), it would be marriage or break up because if her boyfriend didn't propose to her, he clearly never thought about staying together with her long term and is keeping his way out. Luckily he agreed with her thoughts and they are married now :D While both my friend and the friend in the drama are being slightly overdramatic imo, I do think that 7 years is a time long enough for a man to think of marriage, especially in a country were just living together forever is not exactly socially accepted, is it not? And can you really be oblivious enough to not realize what your girlfriend of 7 years is talking about when she keeps talking about a sofa mainly bought by married couples or talking about other ppl's marriages, and you are both about 30 years old (and she's been doing it so often and for so long that the sofa-seller expects her everyday like an old friend)? Can you? Like honestly?

1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

I'm not sure that I thought he was disappointed or relieved. Her response of "no" was the answer that he wanted to hear in order to proceed with the marriage. While it's clear that he has started feeling something for her, it's not yet enough to overrule his logical mind which is still shying away from entanglements. Rather if JH has said yes , she liked him, then he would have felt the need to back off from her. Which, perversely, would probably have disappointed him more. This is a complicated story emotionally for the OTP.

Exactly. The only way the could do the contract marriage is because they both confirmed that neither would ever be interested in the other. That is the minimum requirement especially for him. He would have been appalled and called the whole thing off completely if she had answered otherwise. So no, no disappointment there.

Obviously things will change after a week or two, but not yet.

• Like 9

On 10/16/2017 at 8:09 PM, jongski said:

@b4l01So he's the first one to feel beating of the heart. I think so too. More than JH actually.  But I asked the question 3 pages ago  what kind of couple will they be. Will it be show-window couple, weekend couple, or sexless couple?

I think show-window couple? Am not really sure but am not choosing sexless couple coz JH might attack SH again. :D

16 hours ago, camichi said:

Totally with you, this episode was so touching. Specially the scene at the bus station.  I couldn’t stop crying when she said “For 10 years this luggage got scratched up so much like me. It was shiny when I first came to Seoul whit it”
She compared herself with her luggage. She is scratched too and sad.

When he came bringing her scripts back, it felt like he was returning  her dreams back to her , at least for me and her decision to accept his proposal because he is the only person that needs her. 

OMG I really, really love this Drama

I was already touched watching it live-stream but when I watched it with sub, the more I felt her loneliness and the struggle she's going through. 

Returning her dreams back... that's a good analysis.  I totally agree.

Among the numerous drama I have in my plate, this is my most anticipated one.:wub:

Wow! The thread is now moving fast.  I am so happy to see familiar names whose analysis, I find interesting. @bebebisous33   @Jillia   @USAFarmgirl   and of course the ever reliable @stroppyse .  Though I seldom post comment, I see to it to read your post in every thread I go.   :)

Signing out to watch episode 4.   

• Like 11

I found this traslation in Youtube.

G R

jh: we would like to get married.. i know that it is fast and unexpected but we are getting older bro: did you get pregnant (uses satori) "abe" (lower abdomen)

sh: why did "abe" come in here? (i think that he misunderstands it for shinzo abe)

jh: abe means pregnant

sh: i think there is a misunderstanding but even though we share the same roof we do not have such kind of a relationship

bro: you two live TOGETHER!!

dad: how dare you have a live in relationship with my daughter mom: that unnie that you were living with was your bf?

sh: i think there is a misunderstanding we were just cohabiting

dad: what?? COHABITING jh: (kicks sh and points towards the msg) i ll never make your daughter's hand wet ( basically means that i ll treat your daughter like a princess and not mak e her do any household chores)

• Like 11
  • LOL 4

9 minutes ago, rittoo said:

Exactly. The only way the could do the contract marriage is because they both confirmed that neither would ever be interested in the other. That is the minimum requirement especially for him. He would have been appalled and called the whole thing off completely if she had answered otherwise. So no, no disappointment there.

Obviously things will change after a week or two, but not yet.

I agree. He was expecting her to say no, but it did not hide the play of emotions that played across his face. I felt like you did, yes, he was hoping for and expecting her to say no, because then that meant they could continue to live together and get married. However, it just seemed like her saying no did not give him as much satisfaction as he thought it would.

• Like 9

Ep3 Title: Because This Is My First Proposal

Done with EP3.   How can we not love this drama?! it' wonderful That ending scene is my favorite.

Will you.. marry me? - Yoon Ji Ho

Yes. He said....

Do you ... like me? - Nam See Hee

No. She said

It didn't even crossed my Min that she will do her own  proposal to him.  even with the title as a give  away.

1. Aw. That gesture. So we start where we left them - a shocked YJH hearing SH "if you have some time... will you marry me"  question. She's trying to digest  why he's asking her the question. It's late though, he told her she can sleep in  the same room,  with new pillow cover. She said she wanted to leave ( cos she was still in shock at that proposal) left the place but no taxis servicing the  middle of he night.  I was touched by NSH gesture. He knew already, she won't be able to get ride, so he sent text telling her there's really no taxi, and she can stay in her room. She went back..found her inside her old room and I was laughing much when she heard the door lock. But it's NSH locking his own bedroom door.  YJH: why is he locking his door? That should be who should be doing that."  That scene was for cuteness sake added there. He must've have been doing that even before when she was  staying  in the other room but only noticed it.  Morning came,  NSH heard sound, thought it was construction going on but turned out it's  NJY snoring like major one. Again  scene for cuteness  but had me laughing.  First time he probably heard her do that. We tend to do so when we're tired. I'm sure she wasn't doing that when she was staying there. Else he'd had complained already.

2. A telling conversation.  NSH came back from work, she's still in her sleepy just woke state and assumed it's morning. He pointed out how long she slept. Heard  tummy rumble and gave her cup of noddles. - big one whiles he only;y has a small cup. She said sorry she meant to  get on the train. She asked why is he being nice to her.  Letting her sleep in the room, giving new pillow case, even giving big cup of noodles. Asked why he proposed.  NSH  told her to ignore it.  But then  she asked.....

This is the whole conversation....

NJY: "Do you like me?"

NSH: "No.  I gave you the ramyeon because I'm bad with spicy food.  I gave pillow case because it's not sanitary to sleep without one. As for the proposal... I asked you because I need too. If I must get married I though you were the perfect fit."

NJY: "What made you come to that conclusion?"

NSH: "I need someone to manage the house. You need a house. I need someone to pay rent on regular basis, and you need a room with paying deposit.  Aren't we the best fit to live together? It didn't mean anything."

YJH: "Sill, why would you marry for a house?"

NSH:  "The why do you think people get married?"

YJH:  "You know... love, affection. That's why people get married."

NSH: "Right. That's what most people think. However do you need love and affection right now? More than perfec place to live

YJH:  (she pondered on this) Maybe... not right now. But I'll need one day too."

NSH. "I See:. I thought you were someone in the same category as I am.  I made a misjudgment. Please consider this conversation never happened. Please enjoy your ramyeon before you go."

Aww See He.. it's woman you're proposing!. No matter what,  a woman would want love and affection  coming from man not just material things..

I felt his disappointment! esp the last part of the conversation. But I told y'all. He calculated the risk, Took into consideration the benefits of the end result. In Ep 3 he knew already what he needed to do. And when he mumbled to kitty..  "actually,  what we need isn't marriage." then pg 9 post. I was thinking does he need  her for companionship? For comfort? For domestic balance?  because when she was there, he felt his algorithm bliss back

But as he said in their conversation. He made a misjudgment. All throughout the conversation his face serious as if it's matter of fact and business. . Of course, there is that percentage of him missing her presence but. He will not admit it, but deep inside seeing the emptiness when she left, like there was a missing piece.  In a win-win for him. The marriage proposal.

But we know,  they will eventually fall for each other. He will ignore it. But it will hit him hard and that's what we need to look forward to. How would he handle  such emotional imbalance of his heart

3. I love the friendships. Si Joo and Ho Rang..They were concerned with NJH. They picked her at the bus stop, told them what happened.  We like friendships like this. She stayed with  Si Joo that night.  while having conversation, saw  what she was working on and looking. SJ  doing something for client - investors and start-up companies gathering.  Sher organizes that.  JH saw the name of the company and  friend explained  one of the company's app - online dating app. They rate you face, get diff scores, w/c places them in different levels. The the app will introduce you to a man with the same level. JH asked if she can't meet someone in a higher level. She can but then... she has to pay more.  Hah. It's business, baby! that's how app works! if you want something extra... you gotta pay more.

But uh-oh! we know who did this app!

4. App for dating.. so why not marriage.  At the gathering of investors and start-up companies,  NSH is there explaining how app  (called Dating, Not Marriage. IKR what you're think hehe) works. While explaining the app took questions an investor asked it's called as such why emphasis on dating Doens't he date. Shouldn't  there be love? Like you date because you like and you marry because you love.. you get it, right?

We know ow NSH is when it comes to relationship and marriage......so this is how he explained/ answered..to the chagrin panic fce of his CEO buddy. I was laughing at their scene.

NSH:  "How can the marriage be a result of love? Marriage limits your freedom. In modern society,  marriage is just a system to preserve your genes. It's nothing more than that. Are you talking about the result of love? That's a false hope of people who are far behind times.  They just want to continue the system in the name of love. "

Panicky CEO buddy Mr. Ma Had to step already and appease the  investor who asked the question.. that the app is based on dating not marriage  howeve one shares  values with the one they date and it's love.  after wards.  He whined to NSH if he can just act normal for once,  but of of course he got the death glare. So did a 360 and said  NSH your presentation was perfect.  NSH didn't want to stay and left everything to the CEO ( yeah,  he's more like the boss.. actually)

4. You go girl! the writing team gather and the senior writers what NJH to just accept apology from a-hole guy of 3 yrs aka his writing partner. They wanted a harmonious relationship with the team. She was told not to whine about such trivial matters.

NJH: "Why should I accept an apology this way? I am the victim. I was sexually harassed. No.  He almost rape me. 

She decided to quit. A d she left. I like YJH dialogue for this scene ."

5.You did a great job Ji Ho.. For someone to quit what they love to do most,  it takes courage.  She knew she had to and I glad that she did.  She wished to be a writer. An excellent writer. She was able to wish this and it came true at the age of 30. So we saw her pain tears.  She was comforted by her bff.  After drinking the night away, they set off to a karaokerbar and down the sorrow with some karaoke bumming.

Afterwards  NYJ decides to leave cold Seoul and go to Namhae. Her  bags sent to SH place as it's still the address  used, he informed her. She went to get the bag.  She overheard the conversation of SH and his mother. When the mom left

6. It was because it was you.

"It was because it's you. I need you, not a marriage. That's why I proposed to you" - Nam See Hee

"I knew it was not the right that moment. to fall for him. But still...... it was the first time that someone needed  me.-  Yoon Ji Hoo.

Oh I love the ending.  I love the whole voice over of  NJH  and how  all her life it was the first time that someone needed her.   It comforted.  She said that all her life, she worked hard to be a person who's needed for something.  NSH was the first person who needed her. Awwww and  then it her it. She stepped out of the bus and wanted to hear an answer. She asked the question

Will you marry me.  He was surprised for moment. He said yes.  And she run  across to the bus but he shouted. I have a question....."do you like me?  NO. she said.  Ending scene  and  in that moment.... hands over my mouth just.. just I love it.

And this is just episode 3.  I'm excited to watch sub for ep 4

Once again... the choice of dramas I choose to watch and follow hasn't failed me.  A good story,  good script,  well written one, and terrific acting, and 10 minutes into  the drama, I can tell already if it's good. Usually. 

When I like a drama, long post comes out. Sorry it's long  and confusing.  But I'm happy to share.

• Like 18

I found episode 4 really amazing. I feel it's about how bad the world is but they hide it with the laugh. Everything that SH say about the world it's true and that convince JH but I think the point is should they still dream or just give up ?

SH character is amazing, he keep telling JH she is amazing about things that nobody exept him would care about. When he told her to use the weird selfie to convince her friends. Priceless.

I love that SG (the love expert that don't undestand women) tell WS he is an idiot and you think SG got it when he say mariage but no, they both think about the couch.

When HR begin the argument with WS thinking she is right (I was too) but we realise with her that she is not that right. But when HR cry about her uterus getting old, I found it so funny but it's truly something that sad that botter her.

Are the three girl bad friends, none of them never ask the good question. HR is disapointed that SJ don't understand her and SJ disapointed that HR only think about herself and never that SJ can have bad days too. JH can't even tell them her "good news" because they are in a bad place. If one friend got a good news, the other should feel happy and not jealous or anything about it. I feel like they are not that great of friends actually since episode 3 when JH talk in the karaoke about how they chear her up.

I love the ending scene were they do the graduate thing. They go get married but they don't know what will happen to them. I kind of don't wanted a preview after that with how great they ended the episode with an amazing time skip. They do it nearly every temperature of love episode but I feel it's the best done here. They end an episode with a time skip and show us the next one what happen before the time skip.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, CamelKnight said:

BTW is it just me who thinks that the female lead looks a lot like Park So Dam?

I don’t think so, Park So Dan has very small eyes and and her lips are tiny. I think JSM looks more like Suzy and Yoon Eung  Hye for me the only similarity could be their small face.

@CamelKnight  Wellcome thanks for joing.

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, camichi said:

Thnx for the welcome :)

Perhaps it's just me. That'll teach me to sit behind my computer for more than 6 hours continuesly lol :D 

• Like 5