[Drama 2017] Because This Is My First Life 이번 생은 처음이라

Go Seung Ji

Hi everyone. this looks a positive thread.

Sorry I haven't backtracked but thank you for the first page and the starter @Go Seung Ji. ( I remember you because of Introverted Boss ) 

Believe it or not, researching for Kim Jae Wook's ( the "rage " in TOL ) next project got me here because I was curious and mistook LMK for KJW and also because they have the same kind of expressions, inscrutable, lean , controlled and focused look. Also their hairstyles look similar .Did I lose my way lol ?

Then I saw @bebebisous33 whom I value for her insights and analysis. ( I still remember with a big smile your explanation of the pope, the nobles and the peasants parallel to YP )

@bebebisous33 said " In my opinion, their couple is quite interesting. First, they like each other without knowing the true gender... then when they met for the first time (restaurant), they were able to confide to each other. They have similar taste (soccer) and she is able to act so genuinely in front of him. She touched him and acted as if she knew him. In other words, she felt comfortable and close to him. Then after her deception, she confides to him... and he acts as a friend who comforts her with words. Even if he didn't touch her at all, his comfort did touch her heart. She felt much better. And the kiss was a response for his speech."

__________________________-_

EDIT : I just realized the font comes out unreadable in crazy cursive letters. It's fine on my PC but terribly hard to decipher in Iphone and Ipad. Sorry. I'll change to plain text later. Gtg now,

EDIT 2 : Heh...... done it.

Then I chanced upon the title Because This Is My First Life. Makes me " curiouser " ( Alice )  What a teaser !!!.

@bebebisous33opinion that the couple is quite interesting has me nodding my head in agreement. Their quirky character, especially NSH get your attention. with his impassive face. He's devoid of heart emotion. Also the drama touches on issues regarding singlehood, marriage of convenience, living together are real and beg the question on how the writer addresses them

The misunderstandings should rack up a lot of comedic situations and awkwardness. He has mobid tendencies too. I'm just drooling over the anticipation of them falling in love , much against their professed rule to keep it platonic and admitting it. Of course the kiss will seal the contract permenantly.

How is it going to unfold is the beginning . A platonic marriage will work only if you can control the human heart. The heart has a mind of its own.

I'm sure somewhere from episode 3 to 16 will situations arise for sexual tention , that is, the awareness of their attractions for each other and they finally can't hold it in. The progression from housemates to bedmates will be heart tigging . However will the writer inject some melo into it ?  Like another separation ? A lovers' tiff? Different level of approaching situations .... one using the head which is like a caculating machine and the other the heart and impulsively kissing strangers.

Aha .... spotted the actress who is the head of the writing team here , only she's all spruced up from the unkempt look in TOL. Gosh... she's transported here still armed with that mean streak courtesy of TOL. I think Kdrama land there is an awareness of the issue of ripping off junior writers of their artistic craft. Terrible.

Oh..... it's tvN. An "adult " station yes ? Haha... OHY was HOT in tvN... wall to wall kisses. LOL.... I se a mixed up in the names too because of the stereotyping of male and female names. The twist leads to complications and fixing things up become messy.  ( TOL has name gender twist too )

This drama already has a kissing scene in episode 2 ( albeit a fish kiss ) leapfrogging ahead of other dramas in the kiss department. This is easily the most unemotional kissing scene executed for the wrong reasons. 

Just saw the article below and sharing it.

Because This Is My First Life garners positive reviews: Episode 3 spoilers

Lee Min Ki and Jung So Min have managed to impress the viewers of new tvN drama, Because This Is My First Life.
  • October 14, 2017 13:3

Because This Is My First Life

A poster of upcoming tvN drama Because This Is My First Life.tvN

Because This Is My First Life, the tvN romantic comedy drama starring Lee Min Ki and Jung So Min in lead roles, has garnered positive reviews from viewers. The show will be back with episode3 next Monday, October 16, at 9.30 PM KST.

The Korean mini-series revolves around the life of a 38-year-old bachelor named Nam Se Hee and his relationship with the 30-year-old housemate, Yoon Ji Ho. While Nam Se Hee is a software engineer, Yoon Ji Ho is a screenwriter.

The duo began to stay under one roof due to a misunderstanding created by their friends. When the female lead moved in to the engineer's house, she was under the impression that the house belongs to a hard working lady. Similarly, the male protagonist also believed that he is staying with a man.

Also read Actor Lee Min Ki to be back on TV after 10 years 

The onscreen couple accidentally met each other on a weekend and tried to sort things out between them. But Nam Se Hee's mother did not allow him to stay with an unknown woman and Yoon Ji Ho was forced to move out.

When the female lead could not get a safe place to stay, she came back and the male protagonist proposed her for marriage. He did not do it because of his feelings for her, he wanted to make his parents happy without any commitments.

On the other end, the screenwriter needed a safe place to stay and she knew that it is difficult to get anything better. So, she quickly agrees to tie the knots with him. It remain to be seen if their wedding will be on the cards next week.

To find out what lies ahead for the onscreen couple and their loved ones, watch Because This Is My First Life episode 3 next Monday at 9.30 PM KST. In the meantime, you can catch up with the first two episodes

End

• Like 12

On 10/15/2017 at 1:42 AM, snowflakesj16 said:

@joowonie It's fascinating to see her widen her horizons and grow as an actress.. :) When the news came out that she signed up for another drama while still doing Father Is Strange, I was a bit hesitant thinking it's too soon. But now that the drama has started airing, I'm glad she chose to work on this project as I can see from the first few episodes, it's a  good material. Her chemistry with Lee Min Ki actually came off as a surprise to me since I haven't watched any of his works before. Like you, I'm totally looking forward to Mondays these days thanks to this drama. :)

I was also very surprise of there chemistry bc I've never seen anything of his before but heard good things about his acting. He portrays the corky/ stiff statistician very well. Some of my friends are actually statisticians and there are some elements to his character that is true.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, stroppyse said:
12 hours ago, bedifferent said:

I love how everyone is dissecting Se-Hee's personality.  I see him in a lot of my single guyfriends.  It boils down to the economics of a relationship.  Is it worth the effort, money, time to make the input value<output value? I don't mean in terms of money, but other things that make them happy.  Se-Hee may not place the same value on love. ..............

As for the equations of a relationship, I admit I laughed when I watched the scenes of SH's calculations. I do know guys like that, trying to figure out whether it's worth the time and effort to date. Still, I can understand that the calculations around a relationship, especially if one is looking for a potential marriage and child-bearing partners, can be stressful, just to determine if one has the wherewithal to even start, much less proceed to having depends. Good thing most people don't do those kind of calculations in dating at least, or more people would be put off and become determined to be a confirmed bachelor/bachelorette for life. :)

@bedifferent @stroppyse ~ the only reason see hee's calculations sound odd is because we hear it out loud in form of an excel sheet but there are people who sort of do that. remember one funny incident where my manager was looking for some password and so was looking through this guy's desk surface to find it. flipping through the notebook, he started reading aloud till he realized what he was reading and asked everyone to get back to work! hahahhaa.... it turned out that the guy was going through the traditional matchmaking/blind date process and so had written down names of his dates, as well as the pros and cons next to each name and additional notes. kekekek.... we all pretended what we didn't know what the book contained though there was some side glances. hahahahah... . so someone as organized as see hee would go one step further and make it electronic doesn't surprise me. hahahahha... 

but I do think that even if we are not as organized as see hee, don't we all calculate in one sense? one could argue that even with instinct, emotional or impulsive decision, there is a subconscious decision making that involves some calculation where we are deciding on some basis why that person is important enough to purse some time with.... whether it is traditional match makers or dating apps, people are making some sort of list or parameters on what they want in a partner and then eliminating based on that.... the only reason that see hee sounds a bit odd is that his calculations is missing a component of love but like bedifferent noted, he doesn't seem to place a value on love. but he does place a high value on companionship and a sense of peace and rest...

• Like 9

First episode kiss. Second episode marriage proposal. I like the speed! The chemistry of our main couple is really sizzling :wub: its actually amazing! So hilarious it had me laughing out loud and can't wait to see how the relationship develops! most of all, parts of the show was so heart felt and real and genuinely relatable

that cat is so adorable OMG i want him although i have 2 already LOL 

KDRAMA Teaches You :

You Can Kiss a Stranger If He is Hot and Give you nonsense advice which include the cat 

DSCF6791.jpg?type=w800_q75&key=3c7d4b350

• Like 9
  • LOL 2

53 minutes ago, tianaa said:

KDRAMA Teaches You :

You Can Kiss a Stranger If He is Hot and Give you nonsense advice which include the cat 

This made me laugh so hard! If he wasn't hot we would have none of it and would probably think he's weird. I am loving the way the show is touching on gender reversal stereotypes like SH being a male version of a spinster with cat and SJ being caught with a condom instead of the CEO. I know these are not very popular themes in dramaland but it is quite progressive and I'm loving it. I also feel that the show is quite low-key female centric which I love!  

• Like 7
  • LOL 3

Aww! 3rd episode is a heart-tugging one. I feel sad for JH.   It's so touching to see how the friends comfort JH by drinking and going to noraebang. It's such a fun watching them singing and dancing.  I was teary eyed watching JH at the bus stop at lost as where to go after their drinking night out.  Ho Rang has Won Seok who took her home after she passed-out and So Ji has to go somewhere for some work related matters I think.  I just don't get why JH is hesitant to go to So Ji's place even without her.  

I think Nam See will gonna fall first for JH.  She's becoming part of his algorithm.  It seems to me, he's beginning to feel the emptiness without JH  around.  He may not be attracted to her yet but the way I see it, he's beginning to form an attachment with her through being a perfect housemate for him.

• Like 13

hey ya @annura25! :)

@bedifferent @stroppyse ~ randomly ended up reading this article and it sure makes modern dating sound super exhausting and made me think that maybe see hee's approach of just finding someone who is comfortable to watch a football game is the right approach? hahahahah.... it also made me wonder if the effect of working on a company where he writes the code for the dating app perhaps makes him more cynical and weary of navigating a relationship? or maybe his parents had a more traditional marriage and so he thinks why not?

• Like 7

%E2%80%9CBecause-Its-My-First-Life%E2%80images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQgWNIUpqEs16LdA_dPdOcimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRN_sdFO09xRteV3sdvZsa

Been busy with work and still have some catching up to do on dramas I am already watching but for some reason this drama looked too interesting to put off and after watching the first two episodes of this drama I am delighted that it's not only different but that it captures your interest right away.  Just like her kiss that was unexpected and yet refreshing that she took it upon herself to create her own destiny and go for it not allowing doubts or fears to cloud her mind.  I already love JH she may seem in a bit of desperation at times but she is quick to recover and always able to stand back up...

SH is a mixture of I am who I am and yet you could feel this perfectionist fact based and straight forward man. Whose  deep thinking was caught off guard by a pair of simple but sweet lips that still are very real and continue to replay in his mind.  His idea about love the giving and receiving of it are about to be challenged and I think his views will change as well...

Some amazing thoughts already written mine will feel like a replay but still I wanted to acknowledge that this drama looks to be not only worth the watch.  But thought provoking and it's those stories that you least expect it from that in the end teach you and yes even inspire you and remind you of things within yourself...  Love to so many talented Chingus I know already here.   I think we picked the right one to add to our watching list...:heart:usafarmgirl

18 hours ago, lavender2love said:

Then I saw @bebebisous33 whom I value for her insights and analysis. ( I still remember with a big smile your explanation of the pope, the nobles and the peasants parallel to YP )

I know right. Same sentiments. I tag our dear chingu  bebebisous33 and asked her to check this one if she's got one more room for this drama. It's clearly and simply explained scenes and drama as whole ( more than the drama reviewers).

@stroppyse I'm glad you're here as well analyzing this with us

@bedifferent Thank you. I read all your  post I'm glad  you're here too and sharing your thoughts. Since NSH is statistician, he probablly analyzes Arsenal scores and solid fan. What made him warm up to  NJH is he was shock that she new about Football and  how to game is played and even know Wenger. Ha ha.  They share the same love for the sport.

52 minutes ago, b4l01 said:

I think Nam See will gonna fall first for JH.  She's becoming part of his algorithm.  It seems to me, he's beginning to feel the emptiness without JH  around.  He may not be attracted to her yet but the way I see it, he's beginning to form an attachment with her through being a perfect housemate for him.

@b4l01So he's the first one to feel beating of the heart. I think so too. More than JH actually.  But I asked the question 3 pages ago  what kind of couple will they be. Will it be show-window couple, weekend couple, or sexless couple?

3 hours ago, ddeokbokkii said:

It seems like the main lead is distanced himself from relationship. But, somehow the female
lead was able to awaken his heart, interesting.

@ddeokbokkiiYeah, of course he won't admit it.  He'll probably try to ignore it pretending that the house, kitty is enough for him. He did mention he wants to remain single. But of course that change. Haha.

Even the raw is not yet out so can't watched yet. Later maybe after two hours. He he. I'm damn happy can't wait. I watch this raw and then I watch this sub then I watch again. And I repeat again. High quality writing, the dialogues, the  excellent acting.  Last time I praised a PD writer ( in every post at that) was from the drama Five Children.

Waiting for raw and sub.

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

@Lmangla Thanks for the article. Aziz Ansari has been talking about the modern dating and relationships for awhile, and I'm not sure whether it's scary or scary. :) I saw YT clips of his stand up where he's talking about his social research, and they're really funny, but also a bit brutal. So finding someone that one is comfortable with doesn't sound too bad to me actually. If one is lucky, then one can develop passion for each other. The thing I always wonder about is if one marries someone one is comfortable with, but then another person shows up that one feels passion for, how difficult would it be to stay true to your marriage despite feeling this once in a lifetime passion? I believe in keeping one's promises, and that marriage vows should be held onto tightly. I would think inevitably ditching one's marriage for a passionate affair is something one will come to regret, but it seems to happen anyway. Then again, I suppose it happens to relationships that start with passionate love as well.

that probably is a question that haunts a lot of people @stroppyse because many do choose their spouse on some practical decision making -- as in they happen to be there at the moment and they want to move on to the next stage. I have been taken aback quite a few times when a friend describes the spouse they got married as just "okay" when you are expecting some grand passionate description. but then you read articles by academics who make you wonder if the whole passion thing is just a fairy tale we yearn for.

so in this article here (which is by a person attached to a show called 'married at first sight), she writes that in social psychology, it is proven that attraction is based on similarity (core values, interests & humour), familiarity (attracted to people who feel familiar, birds of the feather flock together) and proximity (the more often we see them, we get attracted to them over time -- what happens with colleagues, fellow students etc)....

guess the bigger question is can one feel a lifetime passion for someone that makes you feel comfortable? maybe it is more personality driven? for some, the comfort feeling is an indication of lifetime passion whereas for others, it is a sign of lifetime boredom? in this drama, they are definitely leaning towards how someone who makes you feel comfortable may be the one for you... maybe that will be the conflict: for him, being comfortable is a grand passion whereas for her, it leaves her questioning if there is more?

P.S ~ your second half of your post to bedifferent got cut off?

• Like 5

@stroppyse its good to see you on here!!!! I remember you from the My father is strange page. Thank you once again for your translating skills!!!!!!!!!  

I really liked this episode as well! I love that SH is not coming across as this completely cold and calculative person. Just as others have noted, there is a real warmth to him. He just doesn't see the world as the "norm". I'm hoping that this turns out to be a "real" marriage and not a contractual one. It's an unconventional marriage for sure, but they'll begin to rely and hope in each other and it'll turn into a "real" marriage. It's sort of like an arranged marriage where the couple don't really know each other but they grow to learn and love one another.  I don't recall there being a marriage portrayed like this in drama world. So hoping its not just another contractual marriage! Although it probably will be. 

Anyways, loving the mutual respect and kindness each lead is showing to the other. Cannot wait for the next episode. It has been awhile since I anxiously await a new episode to come on. 

• Like 8

I really love the ost (don't have the name yet) when in this episode she go to take the bus (I know the ost is in other episode). I find it calming and in the tempo of the drama.

I am the only one who find that the background of this image got a deeper meaning ? I don't understand it completly but I feel the necklace his around her neck and the hand are pushing him.

DSCF6276.jpg?type=w800_q75

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

, wow, good observation. So, FYI, the poster of the belt the dog collar behind JH reads "Existing is not living." which could describe JH's current state. The poster of the fingers wearing burglar masks reads "Of the ten murder suspects." So, that is more vague to me. I wonder if it's about how he uses his fingers working on a computer to the exclusion of living a life? That's just my speculation, however. :)

Or it could be the oposite, she is the writer (so the finger) and he got a cat so the collar (I am not sure that just  because you got a bone it's a dog one).

• Like 4