[Drama 2017] Because This Is My First Life 이번 생은 처음이라

Go Seung Ji

53 minutes ago, raqlobster said:

Just watched the 2 episodes earlier. And I like every bit of it. The things they say, it is reality.

I can totally relate with SH's planned life lol he is thinking about the future. He chose to have his own place even if he have to pay for 30 years (that is reality when you get a housing loan), choosing a place with a hospital nearby is a must for emergency purposes esp when we're older, and yes there's nothing more certain than having a property in this world (he said in this country but it also applies to other countries).

At first, I did not get this drama at all  and I fell asleep while it was on. When I woke up, episode one was playing again and  I decided to watch both episodes. Now I get it and so far, I like the premise of the show.  

SH has his life planned out, and he never needed a woman to complete him. He has his career, his house and his kitten.    However, SH is being harassed by his mother she is trying to run a guilt trip on him, trying to get him to marry.  His father will pay off his loans if he marries.  In the meantime, JH keeps his house clean, makes sure the kitten is fed and likes the same sports team he likes.  She also keeps her emotional baggage to herself.  Therefore, if SH must marry someone, why not marry someone he feels comfortable with.  It will solve his problem with his nagging mother and the bonus, he will not have to wait 30 years for his house to be paid off.  JH will fill that lonely void SH now knows he has and JH will not have to worry about a place to stay, and will have more freedom to work on the projects she wants to work on; a win-win situation.  

I am looking forward to watching this relationship develop.  It should be fun to watch SH go from an unemotional statistician to a loving husband.  

• Like 12

IF YOU HAVE SOMETIME... WOULD YOU... What a way to do a proposal hahaha... I never thought this drama to become like this... its actually turning to be  really good and entertaining. :) Its just became absolute perfection... I’m loving it!!! :wub:

• Like 11

4 Memorable Lines From The First 2 Episodes Of tvN’s “Because This Is My First Life”

Because-This-Is-My-First-Life5.jpg

Spoiler

tvN’s “Because This Is My First Life” aired its first two episodes this week and has received a positive response for its refreshing concept and relatable story.

Here are four memorable lines from the first two episodes that will either make you laugh or nod along in agreement.

1. “Sir, someone must have drawn the windows on here!” – Episode 1

Beacuse-This-Is-My-First-Life-Jung-So-Mi

Yoon Ji Ho (played by Jung So Min)’s journey to find a new house was rough from the start. First, she couldn’t get a loan from the bank because of her status as a freelancer with a low credit score and an annual income of 20 million won (approximately $17,700). When she visited the realtor’s office, she cautiously lifted up three fingers to indicate that she could only afford to pay 3 million won (approximately $2,660) on her security deposit for a house. All she could afford on her budget were houses that were on the verge of collapsing. In one of the few rooms that had a window, it wouldn’t even open, prompting Ji Ho to ask the question, “Sir, someone must have drawn the windows on here!”

2. “Your room is the one I’ve chosen for my deathbed.” – Episode 2

Because-This-Is-My-First-Life-Lee-Min-Ki

Nam Sae Hee (played by Lee Min Ki) still has 180 million won (approximately $160,000) left to pay off in mortgage payments, so he is someone who does nothing but work and has even planned out his future for the next 30 years. Ji Ho is having a hard enough time wrapping her head around how different Sae Hee is from her when she learns that he has chosen her room to be the one he’ll use as his deathbed. He smiles as he says that her room as the best air circulation, and viewers laugh as she replies, “The room does have a nice breeze…”

3. “Chin up. This life… is everyone’s first.” – Episode 1

Because-This-Is-My-First-Life-Lee-Min-Ki

Ji Ho learns that the person she’s been in love with for the past three years has actually been in a relationship all along. She beats herself up about chasing after a one-sided love at the age of 30 and laments that she’s been wasting her time. Seeing this, Sae Hee offers a word of comfort to both Ji Ho and the viewers that there isn’t just one ‘right’ way to live life as he says, “Whether you’re 30 or 40, to a cat, it’s all the same to them. Chin up, this life is everyone’s first.”

4. “I didn’t think it would be… this bleak.” – Episode 2

Because-This-Is-My-First-Life-Jung-So-Mi

After leaving Sae Hee’s house, Ji Ho is even chased out of her basement work space, leaving her wandering the streets at night. Not wanting to show her family and friends how low she was feeling, she walks along a tunnel without a destination set for herself. She starts to cry as she says, “How much further do I have to go.” Viewers related to Ji Ho as she faced an uncertain future after doing nothing but doing her best to chase her dreams.

SOOMPI

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

I really love episode 2 ! So funny and real at the same time. I really get the characters. 

I get SH behavior because I am also an introvert ( small talk is torture and spending time alone is so great).

I also love JH. She isn't a pushover but she can't allowed herself to always tell the truth in the work environment. I mean who can when you are this powerless. She is brave since she is chasing her dream instead of choosing a well paid work. 

Already you can see why they have to be together. They understand each other so well. They don't judge. 

I am impatient for Monday. 

• Like 12

17 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

@jongski Thanks for the shout out and for the compliment as well, chingu!:) Honestly, I hadn't even noticed this drama, however your recommendation and the fact that I am not working right now (fall vacation) made me change my mind. That's why I watched the first two episodes in a row.

I agree with your analysis about Nam Se Hee. He must have analysed the pros and contras for the proposal. He would get rid of his mother and his father who would keep nagging. 

Moreover Ji Ho would never be a burden, like he indicated in these words because she was the one who took care of his home, Kitty and himself. She would be perfect for him. She would have a place to sleep. 

However, I feel that there is definitely more to it. NSH was already missing Ji Ho, not just because he was used that she would take care of the house and the cat. He was already missing her presence. Striking is that he even loved her very much, even before seeing her! Notice that his friend even noted that NSH was using an unusual expression concerning her. This illustrates that there are already feelings here. Sure, it is not love as he has no idea about her gender. Although they only met each other very late, they had got accustomed to each other very quickly. NSH felt her presence in his house: the cooking, the empty dustbins aso. He saw everything she did. I like this idea very much. As conclusion, they didn't feel lonely and empty thanks to each other, even without meeting each other which underlines how strong their connection was before their first meeting. They would communicate with notes and SMS. In my opinion, their couple is quite interesting. First, they like each other without knowing the true gender... then when they met for the first time (restaurant), they were able to confide to each other. They have similar taste (soccer) and she is able to act so genuinely in front of him. She touched him and acted as if she knew him. In other words, she felt comfortable and close to him. Then after her deception, she confides to him... and he acts as a friend who comforts her with words. Even if he didn't touch her at all, his comfort did touch her heart. She felt much better. And the kiss was a response for his speech. 

As conclusion, this couple's strength is the ability to talk to each other. We can clearly see that Ji Ho's parents are suffering from this flaw and I suspect that it is the same with SH's parents. The couples are unable to communicate to each other. JH's father acts like a tyrant hence he doesn't need to listen to his wife at all and I believe, SH's father must be quite similar. He must use his wife in order to have his wish come true: a marriage. He uses his wife as leverage against his son: he wants his son to follow his orders. That's the impression I've got after these two episodes. 

I can understand why NSH doesn't want to get married in the first place because he witnessed how a marriage can make people unhappy. The lack of real communication which results in the feeling of emptiness and loneliness is the cause of his mistrust in marriage. He must have noticed how his father was unsatisfied with his wife and his son as well, hence he is trying to live his life again through his son. If NSH had a wife, the father might feel less lonely... I believe the mother must feel the same.

A difference between NSH and JH is the way they are treated in their respected family. NSH wanted to have a home in order to escape his parents' control. If he had stayed at home, they would have controlled his life. With Ji Ho, this is the total opposite. She has always been overlooked... it was as if she never existed in her father's and brother's eyes. Both are feeling lonely for a different reason: one feels suffocated because they try to force their own wish onto him, whereas the other feels abandoned and insignificant because she is never asked about what she wants. She is used as a maid and even as an object. I can understand why Ji Ho chose "writer" as a career because there, she could finally express herself. Nevertheless, this is not really working because of the director and the other writer. Hence she is definitely frustrated. In the end, the marriage could give her a place to express herself... NHS complimented her for her work (house cleaning), asked her questions and even listened to her. Both are able to find a place where they are not overlooked or suffocated by others.

Let me know what you think about this analysis...

@saanjh sena Hello there!!:)

@bebebisous33

Thank you. You explained clearly and eloquently in simplest way.  I understood better  why and how they clicked together not just because they have the same interests but there is comfort even without meeting each other first time but only through text. They bonded. There is emotional comfort and sense of belonging and understanding.

I also thought about  YJH actions stems from how she was treated and overlooked by the family.  The brother is the favored one and now that the young wife is having a baby boy which will continue the bloodline, she more felt cast aside.  I wasn't even thinking about their respective families but I felt her moving way from the family, is  her trying to find her worth.

I hadn't thought about NSH family and how it was like for him. I did mention there must be a backstory but you're right. Especially when he said parents want to fulfill desires through their children. You're right. it seems that NSH and YJH father are there same.  I didn't think of that.  When the mom said that his father will get a divorce if he's not married, that his father even going to pay rentals for the house.

So when he proposed to her, it's not because she will be an asset to her and means to  continue with his plan.. well it will look that way at first,   but  it's also to have sense of balance.  As he said he can live with just the house and the kitty and it wouldn't matter to him but deep inside, he felt the loneliness.

So when she said yes to the proposal, it's not because she loves him ( yet..but she will eventually). She thought  a house to stay, a  place where she can come and go. A home to feel secure emotionally or maybe physically, and that she matters.

So this will be like a marriage of convenience in the beginning but as they become closer through this union, they will realize their value to each other is worth more than the expense of calculating each others financial obligations ie; his house rentals,  her need to have secure place.

They are going to have feelings for each other ( impossible not to). It's cliche in a way or even predictable but this drama is well written and well acted. But I wonder if there's twist.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

@jongski That's why I believe that this drama is not a remake of the J-dorama. It is really so different  on so many levels:

• the personalities and her career
  • their family 
  • the events: f. ex. they kissed much later in the japanese drama.

In this drama, Nam Se Hee is just an introverted man who uses rationality and who is avoiding people in order not to get hurt. I believe that in his family, the parents must have fight a lot. From my understanding based on the two episodes, both parents must have used emotions in order to blackmail the partner hence it is logical that Nam Se Hee wants to feel no emotions. That way he can not be hurt and be blackmailed by others. He associated feelings as something negative due to his parents' relationship. Nonetheless, Nam Se Hee seems to be an observant person. He even thought that the director would confess to JH. He is not blind or stupid if you think that he even noticed JH's work, unlike her brother. Then he can read people's mind (f. ex. JH's mood). He was even able to find the words in order to console JH. As conclusion, he is not clueless, he is not someone who lacks social skills. However, his biggest flaw is his lack of spontaneity. He has always planned everything carefully therefore he was able to show no emotions, while JH plans less that's why she can not control her emotions: the kiss, the walk to his home, the touch on his head, while watching the soccer game aso. 

About JH: it is not just to prove her worth to her family. She has never had the right to express herself. For her, moving out was a way to escape from the cage, to breathe. Her father thinks very lowly of her because she is a girl. But like she described it, she moved from a prison or cage to a tunnel which is no way better. Sure, she needs and wants to prove her father that he has been wrong about her. He doesn't like her choice of career, exploited her as a tool, just like he exploited his wife all this time. Honestly, I hope that the brother really fails (I might sound harsh) but he needs a reality check. IF his sister is married, there is no way that he and her father can exploit her again. Since she is a married woman, she is now under the authority of her husband and her family-in-law hence the father can not ask for money in order to support his son and wife. I hope that NSH will be able to put boundaries. 

Does anyone know if NSH's family is really rich? I mean, the proposition of the father seems to indicate that they are wealthy. Imagine the face of JH's father, when he hears that she married someone rich!! 

• Like 12

@bebebisous33 @jongski I love the way you analyzed these two episodes. Many of us could be thinking that this is only another nice and funny Drama but not. This Drama believe or not has a deep story and the story is being well written and acted. I know things will get more and more interesting taking in account that we don’t know about HS family background yet and I am sure it will be an important ingredient in this amazing Drama.

I have many fav scenes, but I think that some scenes during   the last 12 or 15 minutes of the second episode made an inflexion point in this Drama.

1-      When Jo Ho is at the wedding with her friends she was looked down by the others girls and I think that made her think she was in the wrong way and doubted about if she took the right decision when she chose to be a writer and after that at the bus station her friend asking her   Don’t you feel happy when you write these days?

2-      When she face the other writer in the meeting and finally said what she really think and defends her work.

3-      When he returns from his blind date and see the recycling boxes and think that calling his blind date girl is a waste of time and after that he realizing that the cat hasn’t eaten. At that moment he was missing her.

4-      JH scene in the tunnel, her loneliness and despair. Her decision of not to let her friends to see her defeated and the fact that she dint has anywhere to go.

5-      The last but not the least, the proposal.

I wish it could be an everyday Drama.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

@jongski That's why I believe that this drama is not a remake of the J-dorama. It is really so different  on so many levels:

• the personalities and her career
  • their family 
  • the events: f. ex. they kissed much later in the japanese drama.

Yes I agree.  I've watched that jdrama. Others do compare this that one but I'm not sure why  as well. When I learned of story and the characters I actually said it's more Kazoku no Katachi ( State of Union) because  NSH resembles more of that drama's lead and even YJH....

On 8/4/2017 at 6:22 PM, jongski said:

Aha. it  somehow feels similar to Kazoku no Katachi. A  well written  good witty jdrama. (If curious, check pages 6,7  j-thread. I had long post/recaps, and quotes- cos it's very well written). That jdrama deals with views of marriage, being single guy and enjoying being alone w/ no responsibilities, enjoying his own castle (read: home he bought)  meeting woman who has her own views if being single, struggling.

When I saw story plot, single 30's man, single woman, living in apartment.enjoys single life and  "This series will examine the institution of marriage, and what marriage and family mean in today’s society. And through all this, it’ll explore real problems that young people face"

It reminded of  that fav jdrama. I'm gonna check and see if it's similar because it seems to be. But this will be well written just like the one I mentioned.

In the way that YJH was able to tell things to a stranger like NSH, in Kazoku, female lead was able share things and even long kept secret to total stranger she thinks  will not care. It comforted her because he listened in his own way.  2 strangers living together, but not being together able to find comfort even if the he acts like he doesn't care. I encourage everyone to check page 6. Kazoku, IMO a more mature and smarter drama, aired before WMaJ.  But this current  K drama being compared more to WMaJ  because  there's an early marriage proposal, there's co-habitation of convenience to suit each other's purpose,  will eventually fall in love. Hence.  

Sorry for a bit off topic.  Want to share my two cents why the comparison and saying it's remake or copy Japanese drama.

In this drama, Nam Se Hee is just an introverted man who uses rationality and who is avoiding people in order not to get hurt. I believe that in his family, the parents must have fight a lot. From my understanding based on the two episodes, both parents must have used emotions in order to blackmail the partner hence it is logical that Nam Se Hee wants to feel no emotions. That way he can not be hurt and be blackmailed by others. He associated feelings as something negative due to his parents' relationship. Nonetheless, Nam Se Hee seems to be an observant person. He even thought that the director would confess to JH. He is not blind or stupid if you think that he even noticed JH's work, unlike her brother. Then he can read people's mind (f. ex. JH's mood). He was even able to find the words in order to console JH. As conclusion, he is not clueless, he is not someone who lacks social skills. However, his biggest flaw is his lack of spontaneity. He has always planned everything carefully therefore he was able to show no emotions, while JH plans less that's why she can not control her emotions: the kiss, the walk to his home, the touch on his head, while watching the soccer game aso. 

Yes. Agree. And  NSH may look cold and emotionless at most times robotic. But he understood feelings and emotions in such a way how he comforted YJH. From  his story and explanation of neocortex.  In her own words.... his nonsense.. felt strangely comforting.  That's coming from a writer who expresses her own emotions through the writings and scripts she does. I guess NSH can convey emotions but not spontaneity of it especially when it concerns relationship, he will not show it.  That glance at the room, the empty feeling, the  way he talked with his kitty,  probably the only one who know his master feels.

About JH: it is not just to prove her worth to her family. She has never had the right to express herself. For her, moving out was a way to escape from the cage, to breathe. Her father thinks very lowly of her because she is a girl. But like she described it, she moved from a prison or cage to a tunnel which is no way better. Sure, she needs and wants to prove her father that he has been wrong about her. He doesn't like her choice of career, exploited her as a tool, just like he exploited his wife all this time. Honestly, I hope that the brother really fails (I might sound harsh) but he needs a reality check. IF his sister is married, there is no way that he and her father can exploit her again. Since she is a married woman, she is now under the authority of her husband and her family-in-law hence the father can not ask for money in order to support his son and wife. I hope that NSH will be able to put boundaries. 

Does anyone know if NSH's family is really rich? I mean, the proposition of the father seems to indicate that they are wealthy. Imagine the face of JH's father, when he hears that she married someone rich!! 

Thanks. Your'e right. When they showed series of her birthdays, it's always the brother blowing the candles. The brother always has the father's attention. It was only  on her 20th  that was able to do so with her friends make a wish.  And on her 30th she was able to  express freely her wish to write and become even better at it. I didn't like how her family thinks low of her. Even though she's the one who got the house,  and paid for everything, still, it was her who moved out when the  brother and the wife should've been the one.  There was no consideration at all. The father is the master, the one that  decides. I wanted her to at least have some say but.. you're correct with her being in that house,  she will always be under  her father's authority, will always be the outcast.

I think NSH comes from well off  family. His mother looks like some kind kdrama haughty MIL. Plus he acts more financially off and like the boss rather than his CEO employer. He comes to work does his job and when he didn't bother to go to work because his routine disturbed by housemate who can't follow his rules, the CEO buddy begged him to comeback to work.

I am still confused what kind of work he does though. What exactly is his job? :D

• Like 5

1 hour ago, jongski said:

I think NSH comes from well off  family. His mother looks like some kind kdrama haughty MIL. Plus he acts more financially off and like the boss rather than his CEO employer. He comes to work does his job and when he didn't bother to go to work because his routine disturbed by housemate who can't follow his rules, the CEO buddy begged him to comeback to work.

I am still confused what kind of work he does though. What exactly is his job? :D

@jongski In episode two while they were at the wedding the CEO gave Business card to some guests   that were at the wedding and he introduce himself as someone that run a Blind date company or a company that sets dates.

SH is a statistician and he was making the new site for the company. I suppose that the system he did is in charge of make statistics to see if a couple are compatible or not.

That’s why he did calculations to know if  JH  and he are  compatible  or match perfectly .

• Like 5

Guest snowflakesj16

@joowonie It's fascinating to see her widen her horizons and grow as an actress.. :) When the news came out that she signed up for another drama while still doing Father Is Strange, I was a bit hesitant thinking it's too soon. But now that the drama has started airing, I'm glad she chose to work on this project as I can see from the first few episodes, it's a  good material. Her chemistry with Lee Min Ki actually came off as a surprise to me since I haven't watched any of his works before. Like you, I'm totally looking forward to Mondays these days thanks to this drama. :)

DSCF6791.jpg?type=w800_q75&key=3c7d4b350

re-posting the pic posted by @saanjh sena on page 9 because I wanted to squeal over the height difference. hahahahah... so is that 4-inch or 5 inch heels? and she still has to tip toe in order to kiss him? kekekke... now I have to come back with a serious comment. hmmm, what should I say? ^_^

25 minutes ago, filmstrip said:

YES. Your post made me nod my head so fast it might have fallen off!!! 

This drama has stolen my heart so quickly I couldn't believe it. It was the little moments (like the part I bolded in your post) that really did it for me. This drama is almost too real, too relatable for me. Not that I would actually move into someone's house before ever meeting them, or that I'd walk the city streets at night in my pajamas. We always gotta give way to the Kdrama quirks, otherwise it wouldn't be a Kdrama

kekekek.. so your head falling off comment made me giggle a little as I could immediately imagine it. hahahah... yea,it is nice to see a mix of realism and kdrama. sometimes, slice of life dramas are too realistic that it feels uncomfortable to watch. do we seriously want to watch life on TV when real life is so stressful? I watch dramas to unwind and so even if it is ridiculous cliche, I generally enjoy all those tropes. so yea, am thankful to see those kdrama moments mixed in with a bit of realism that it gives you a little bit of punch watching how lonely they are and how they much they just want to be content and rested... am also enjoying that this drama seems to have good lighting. something that irks me with TVN dramas is their tendency to have everything so darkly lit as if to create some artsy air. so nice to see some lovely sunshine! hahahahha....  :D

• Like 6
  • LOL 2

Just finished watching the first eps.. and one thing that caught my attention was....the company slogans they shouted when they had company dinner. One of the weirdest company slogans i've ever heard, and yet It's catchy and memorable.... hahaha

1xn51c.gif

• Like 3
  • LOL 4

16 minutes ago, BokMan said:

Just finished watching the first eps.. and one thing that caught my attention was....the company slogans they shouted when they had company dinner. One of the weirdest company slogans i've ever heard, and yet It's catchy and memorable.... hahaha

thought the slogan might have been part of the CEO's promise. since it appears to be a startup and see hee is his friend, am guessing that others are also somehow related to the CEO's network. so he might have promised them that even if they are not working in a corporate company, they will still get paid and not be expected to put in work for free just as favours. or it might be that they left corporate structure to a startup to ensure better working conditions and getting paid. or something along those lines -- thats how I thought....

• Like 5

Just watched the first two episodes of the show. Loved every bit of it. Most of all I loved how logical the hero is and how wary he was of our girl falling for him or forcing a kiss on him again and that she apologized for it. I can't wait for the contract marriage hijinks to start. It's going to be a lot of fun. The preview already looks hilarious.

It was enlightening to see how hard a writer in Kdrama land has to work to get an opportunity to work on their own project. I hope everything works out for our girl.

BTW how absolutely beautiful does JSM look?!

• Like 6

6 hours ago, joowonie said:

This drama is such a gem, I look forward to Monday's now bc of it. The only interesting drama at the moment for me. JSM is becoming a better actress with every new project she takes on! 

@joowonie I'm not familiar  with her but read good things. Sh'e's impressive in this drama.  And for the 3rd time, I'll repeat, my fav character from crop of current dramas.

@filmstrip Like you post. and agree.

@YourHighness . Yes ✓

And tomorrow is Episode three. I wonder what the title will be and how they act as couple. I'm laughing already with the tease esp NSH looking so forced  and the face..ha ha.  when they were taking taking selfies. :D

Ep1 Title: Because It's My  First 30th Birthday ✓

Ep2 Title: Because It's My First Kiss ✓

Ep3 Title Because It's my First .........

Cr: on post.

• Like 4

Hello hello everybody.  Hiya @andy78 I miss livestreaming with you... real life!  

Am backtracking the thread to read all your posts.  Just want to say this drama is lovely, funny, poignant... the right dose of vitamin.  A fan of LMK and JSM here.

Lol when Sang-gu mumbled and reminded himself that Se-Hee algorithm, not rhythm or orgasm, must not be disturbed.  Is it me or I didn’t realize Sang-gu also runs an online dating agency?  He was handing his cards out after the wedding, so is his company developing online dating app?  That would be hilarious.  Love all the office staff btw, Bomi color schemes her work clothes on shades of pink to stand out among all male programmers is just too cute.  

• Like 6

Ha. I'm back, took me a while to read all your awesome comments.  Just smiling reading them, good of a drama like this has of course, great comments. :)

I love it as much as you do for many reasons:

• That title, of each episode and drama.  Because this is my First __.  I feel it speaks for us and SH/JH. Whatever the first time is, our characters have the right to miss the mark a little, fall short of a dreamy first love,  struggle to voice her thoughts, hesitant at the first human touch, feel uncertainty weighing on their future.   Like it's ok to make mistakes.  All those negative thoughts aside, I like how the phrase can be a positive reminder that the first time for everything can be a wonderful thing.  You know that feeling when you first fall in love, live on your own, stand up for your first drama's credit.  Something that you will recall later fondly because it was the first time you did it.  I hope the later episodes will carry this positive theme.
  • I really like how Se-Hee was able to quantify Ji-Ho's positive attributes into something tangible and reproducible like a formula/algorithm whereas others (even her own family) don't see or credit them.  Someone mentioned before how the drama will be about Ji-Ho finding her self worth, we already see why Se-Hee is the right guy cause he puts in the formula all the things that are not seen at face value.  Money, looks, family background, job... those that seem lacking in our heroine on paper and appearance.  
  • I love how everyone is dissecting Se-Hee's personality.  I see him in a lot of my single guyfriends.  It boils down to the economics of a relationship.  Is it worth the effort, money, time to make the input value<output value? I don't mean in terms of money, but other things that make them happy.  Se-Hee may not place the same value on love.  Maybe it never crossed his mind that love can make him happy. Since he lives only in two places, work and home without socializing a lot, I don't know if he has ever seen a happy relationship.  He is obsessed with paying off his mortgage so that he can be free.  I think so that he doesn't have to continue to work, at a place and with people he finds taxing in emotion and energy. haha
  • I just want to hug Ji-Ho, the tunnel scene, her despair and uncertainty of where it ends, is full of resignation.  Her remark on how dark it is reflects on how lonely she is feeling.  Cause if you have two people in a tunnel, one would be holding a flashlight and guiding the other right?  I am happy that she finds someone in Se-Hee who is as lost as she is, not down the career path but love.  I really love how she relies on others for strength so with Se-Hee, with his objective clear remarks will give her strength when she needs it.  I actually like that Soo-Ji hesitated and didn't reach out to Ji-Ho after the wedding ceremony.  I think being a good friend means you know when to reach out for support and when to lent your friend the space to reach for her own courage/conviction to change her situation.  We need to let go pushing the bike at some time.
  • Many lines from the drama stood out,  the voice over at the end of episode 1 reminds me of how we tend to define things  by age and success.  Humans lock themselves in time and feel limited by what need to be done and what should have been done.  Maybe we should live in the moment more instead. :)  

On 10/10/2017 at 8:12 PM, camichi said:

He is too obsessive and I like his character. Ji Ho is perfect for him and I think that he made her that proposal because he knows that it will be difficult to find someone   that could match him like she does. He doesn’t see her in a romantic way but if his father is pushing him to get married, who is better than her?  For her is an opportunity to have a place where she can belong to,  and feel she is protected. These too are really lonely and lack of love.

I thought their decision came down to the basic of all levels.  She needs a place to sleep and he needs someone to fill the role of the wife.  If we all date with that simple rule in mind, then there should be no single person left in this world.  All those requirements that we look for in a spouse just complicate things... we complain and lament on why it is so hard to find the right person.  Both of our characters sped up in age and are left with the same basic question that someone who is older in life ask out of a relationship.  Is love all hype? hahaha

On 10/11/2017 at 4:40 AM, Lmangla said:

me too! I was wondering if he will turn out to be very weird based on the synopsis but he is not. he is just one of those by his-own-rules kind of guy who just does his own thing and is not ruffled by other's opinion but it is not like he is incapable of making relationships. he has relationships with his co-workers and CEO. really enjoyed how he seems to be in charge even with the CEO. he is the type of guy where if you want leave, he will help you cite some labour law or employee handbook laws and get it! hahahah... (based on how he is written, guess he is sort of like an INTJ personality. it seems more than anything, he is a bit of loner where he does not really enjoy what others do..).. 

it is kind of sweet isn't it? that he was rambling about cats and yet it was the best thing he could have said to her. also liked how they bonded over football. it seems like they were able to easily chat with each other even though they hardly knew each other.

but more than anything, there was a kind of quiet loneliness that they both share perhaps. she doesn't really fit in with her family though her mom seems to be quite nice. even with her friends, they seem more takers rather than givers (she listened to her friend whine for 40 minutes..) so she seems to be giving her all in every relationships. so where does she get to take?

I love what you wrote here. Se-Hee has an established presence, he makes his thoughts and opinions known.  A little too resolute. haha  Ji-Ho tends to blend in the background.  I hope he teaches her to voice her needs more and she in turn, forces him to listen to things he deems unimportant.  Se-Hee is kinda lazy hahaha, relationship is a chore.  But he is an acute observer and the most logical statistician.  No wonder he works developing software for a dating site? Since she is a tomboy and love sports, I'd love to see the writer revealing to us that Se-Hee needlepoints at some time later.  It would cross gender line no? :lol:

On 10/11/2017 at 10:05 AM, Lmangla said:

and what do folks think about his whole speech about cats in ep 1? makes me wonder if he personally identifies with cats in some way...

I'm a dog person.  hahaha  Cat requires less walking and they are often indoor creatures.  They also tend to blend in the background more, not as much in your face as the dog licking. :lol:  They're less maintenance in a physical sense and they need their own space.  Maybe Se-Hee identifies with their quiet nature more. Kitty is so cute!!!

On 10/11/2017 at 1:36 PM, jongski said:

But the one that made me ponder and smile then laugh when He calculated the kiss an. JH was saying sorry that she kissed him. SH  understood and said it wasn't an accoted "attacked" on him. SH described it more as an OFFSIDE. (Hah!  using football vernacular)

SH said "It was like an offside when you attacked me when I was defenseless"  JH just nods her head and says yes, offside. She asked if he'd been super upset. SH said he would've have been as well upset.  Then explained "upset involves emotions when people are unexpectedly attacked, they feel perplexed and unpleasant" to which JH clarified  she didn't attacked him. Hah. She didn't, she acted impulsive.

haha, being a sports fan, I was tickled with the offside comment.  Her offside kiss was all about jumping at the expectation, unplanned and all one sided like in football.  However, I wonder what the penalty for her offside was?  :D  His explanation for being upset explains exactly how she feels when the assistant writer attacked her. Talk about offside.  Anyway, I love how they settled the moment of awkwardness. His lack of emotion settled down her own emotional cringe of doing the first kiss.

On 10/11/2017 at 9:55 PM, Lmangla said:

he really conveyed the loneliness of dating for the sake of it when he sighs and wonders whether he needs to text his blind date. there's not much conversation to have... based on the snippet of his family -- his mom is taking anxiety pills and worries she will get divorced if her son doesn't marry -- it feels like he doesn't see marriage or family as a positive experience. he also described marriage as doing military service again. hahahaha...

in ep 1, when they discussed the kiss, he said that relationships always cost us something whether it is emotions and energy. it is such a negative way of looking at relationships and sad that he doesn't see relationships as positive enriching but it also shows his kind of weariness where he constantly feels drained by the people in his life. in that way, both of them are similar and there is this fantastic comfort level with each other where they feel so relaxed to just watch a football game together. it is like they want people and company but folks they know just drain them out. so seeking someone who doesn't do that to you would be a kind of safe haven no? a place where you feel safe enough to just sleep and rest? so it didn't feel weird or out of place that he would propose marriage though he probably has some very practical outline of how it would all work out.

nod.nod.nod.  Yeah, texting your date back and going to the military are things you have to do out of obligation.  Se-Hee avoids obligation and his main goal is to get out of one as soon as possible, his loan.  I just think he is one of those who likes to yoga... keeps his mental state at peace.  Yet, he is not OCD about his house since the kitchen and bathroom floor are dirty. (does he have a cleaner?)  I expected him to be obsessed over everything. He can overlook things that are not important to him and not be too too regimented. There is hope that the guy can change. :lol:

On 10/12/2017 at 9:26 AM, jongski said:

The scene on ep 2 when he came back to en empty room of JH he felt the pang of emptiness. He aaw the recycled stuff piling,  forgot to feed his kitty,  so he did , and then said whilst staring at JH room...  he said "actually,  what we need isn't marriage." I'm thinking is he looking for companionship? For comfort? For domestic balance?  The time that JH stayed there, he felt his algorithm bliss back.

But of course that's not how marriage works. The way that  SH retorted back, feels like he's saying to the boss,  well if there's nothing to it,  they why get married in the first place.  It's quite contradictory to how he's acting, to how he's feeling. There should be a purpose to the marriage. He calculates risk and long term end result of his life.  

You know in a way, Se-Hee is a taker as well.  He calculated the algorithm so that it scores high for him, all about the advantages that he will get out of a roommate.  Yet, during the drama, he unintentionally gives good advice to Ji-Ho.  So I expect by the end of the drama, he will learn to share and give more.  He'll be fine even if her score is less than 8.7:lol:

On 10/14/2017 at 5:24 AM, bebebisous33 said:

About JH: it is not just to prove her worth to her family. She has never had the right to express herself. For her, moving out was a way to escape from the cage, to breathe. Her father thinks very lowly of her because she is a girl. But like she described it, she moved from a prison or cage to a tunnel which is no way better. Sure, she needs and wants to prove her father that he has been wrong about her. He doesn't like her choice of career, exploited her as a tool, just like he exploited his wife all this time. 

Love what you wrote here.  Se-Hee did inherit his parents' sense of economics though.  Payment for a service like what his dad wants, grandchildren or marriage as tradeoff for the loan.  His parents may not have fought, maybe their relationship is based on emotionless exchange, that's how Se-Hee learns to deal with relationship.  He loves his cat but it's more of a one way relationship.  He gives the cat the love and attention based on his ability and doesn't get judged for it.

• Like 11