[Drama 2018] Mystery Queen 2 추리의 여왕 2

Go Seung Ji

2 hours ago, monalisa said:

Seol ok's fanboy is Rapper, Din Din.

Ooh, I see. Thanks for the info! Looked him up. He does a lot of variety shows.

EPISODE 12:

(Gah, watched this so late. No time to make any screenshots. ^^")

I think the daughter or mother did it. Don't know the reason why yet though. Maybe one of them found out about the husband's affair and runaway plan. The daughter seems kinda strange... like distant from her mother and about the fact that her father is missing, no body found. It's possible that she gave up after 7 years and gradually accepted the fact that he was never coming back. I think the body was in the luggage though. At first, I thought Jang Myung Hoon was just being kind to Ms. Lee by chatting with her and giving her books, etc. But then they had planned to run away together? What.... D:

The last 10 mins of this episode really had me on edge, but that was a good thing. I felt a little emotional during Seol Ok's and Wan Seung's car ride. They talked about Secretary Kim and the danger involved in this case. I understood how each of them felt, not wanting the other person to get hurt.

I'm so hoping that Seol Ok gets a clue/suspicious feeling about Hee Yeon during the car ride too. I'd like her, Wan Seung, AND Inspector Woo to gather their intel and communicate to each other about the case!

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you think about the actions of the cake shop owner? I assume that the shooter is the owner I do not understand the reason for shooting at the profiler. It was interesting that she did not try to kill, she just wanted to incapacitate him: she shot him in the leg. I also do not understand who is killing the persons who impersonated the old girlfriend of Detective Ha. It seems from what we saw that they were directly or indirectly paid by the cake shop owner. Does she kill them afterwards? Or does she uses them to make Detective Ha snot give up his inquiry into the death of his old girlfriend?

Correct me if I am wrong: last season, secretary Kim conspired with the father of detective Ha to kill the girlfriend. If this is correct, Secretary Kim might not be the cake shop owner, because she was too young at that time. Although I think again last season, the father of detective Ha told him that the girlfriend was less innocent than it seemed. I was thinking at that time that she might have been a spy. \

On more pressing issues: what do you think about detective Ha's behaviour towards Yu Seol-ok? I am wondering what will happen to him when YSO returns to Seoul. 

I am not worried about YSO and the cake lady, because it is not clear to me that the cake lady wants to do something very drastic that will expose her. 

Cake lady, Hee Yeon's look just before she entered her car seemed to show that she disliked(?) Seol Ok. I did have a sudden fear that she would do her harm but would go by the reasoning from  @tzupi that it would be too drastic at this stage for HY.

That conversation in the car between Detective Ha and YSO regarding Secretary Kim reminded us of the sad traumatic past of these 2 persons and until they get to learn the truth about what really happened and catch the culprits, they will not be able to move on with their lives freely and fully.  It is best that Detective Ha realise that the best way to protect SO is to include her in the investigation. With her strong desire to bring justice for her parents, there is no way that she will not try all ways to find out what he is up to.  This is a battle that requires the strengths of Woo, Ha and SO.

Episode 12 showed Sgt Gong transferring to Unit 2 (to catch sexual perverts) after he learnt of his daughter being exposed to a pervert. He recollected his own attitude of considering such crimes as difficult to solve and not as important as the big violent crimes, hence low priority. Now that his own daughter was involved, he could feel the anguish and anger as a father/victim and understand better how such crimes would affect the victims and their families.

9 hours ago, tzupi said:

Correct me if I am wrong: last season, secretary Kim conspired with the father of detective Ha to kill the girlfriend. If this is correct, Secretary Kim might not be the cake shop owner, because she was too young at that time. Although I think again last season, the father of detective Ha told him that the girlfriend was less innocent than it seemed. I was thinking at that time that she might have been a spy.

They currently think Secretary Kim was involved in the death of YSO's parents. Though Korean is not gendered, I still get this heavy feeling that everyone assumes it's a man, so it might be possible she took over the mantle from someone else.

It is true, though, if you observed that Secretary Kim had an injury and she's wearing a very light dress. Also, if you watched closely the shooter was definitely a woman. But it doesn't mean the cake lady is Secretary Kim, either, she may be the secretary to the secretary, so to speak?

We are nearing the end, so if there is going to be something drastic it has to be soon. But we do know that if Cake Lady tries to pull something Seol Ok is far from helpless. She's pulled out every time on her own. (First season made a semi-ritual of this as a joke.)

12 hours ago, Kim Yunmi said:

It is true, though, if you observed that Secretary Kim had an injury and she's wearing a very light dress. Also, if you watched closely the shooter was definitely a woman. But it doesn't mean the cake lady is Secretary Kim, either, she may be the secretary to the secretary, so to speak?

I completely agree with you that the shooter is a woman and probably the cake shop owner. (at the hospital, the entrance seems to be gendered and she takes the women entrance). But I do not know if she is Secretary Kim because it does not make much sense: why would she kill the people whom she seemed to have paid to impersonate the detective's old girlfriend? and we have the scene at the end of the first season, with the woman impersonating the old girlfriend surprising the guy who was presenting himself as Secretary Kim. I think this season, it was suggested that that woman was paid to do that by the cake shop owner.

I am more inclined to think that the cake shop owner is the old girlfriend who wants to take revenge on the law firm (because of the involvement of the father of detective Ha in her attempt to kill her) and on secretary Kim. She impersonates Secretary Kim maybe as a way to lure him out. 

But there are things that do not seem to work with my hunch that the cake shop owner is the old girlfriend: (1) like almost everybody else, detective Ha seems to be convinced that the girlfriend is dead; (2) it is hinted quite strongly that the cake shop owner is secretary Kim, not only from the call to the police chief but from the kind of services she provides (selling and buying information).

Moreover, if we eliminate the cake owner shop, there are not many other people who can be secretary Kim, unless they bring a new character. But saying this, it occurred to me that there is one: the guy who works with detective Ha. He seems to be involved with the secret services and quite skilled. and lately, he also seems to lose patience with detective Ha's lack of dedication and shows a different more demanding aspect of his personality. (It makes sense for him to be secretary Kim and help detective Ha because it is better to keep your enemy close. ) But now I think I'm fabulating...

5 hours ago, tzupi said:

I am more inclined to think that the cake shop owner is the old girlfriend who wants to take revenge on the law firm (because of the involvement of the father of detective Ha in her attempt to kill her) and on secretary Kim. She impersonates Secretary Kim maybe as a way to lure him out.

But remember that Profiler Woo Sung-Ha has found a bunch of people posing under the same name showing a kind of conspiracy. Might be that several people were assigned that name to play spy, then killed.

We know the protagonists aren't it, and Kyungmi isn't it. And Profiler Woo isn't it because he's been tracking the case on his own. Thus the suspect list is:

Jo In-Ho- added for comic relief, but the actor *does* have this range, so if they pulled it, I'd be surprised, but it is believable within the context of the show. If he was onto the very obvious Detective Ha, this would explain several things throughout the show.

Gye Sung-Woo- Maybe... he's the same age, but he's too young to pull off YSO's parents' murders. We'd need further explanation. Personally, I think it's a stretch, plot-wise.

Yook Seung-Hwa- ???

Shin Jang-Goo- He may be playing red herring at this point and well aware he's being investigated. If this is true, then it would have an emotional pull for Shin Na Ra. To find out her father has been killing women all along would be harsh on her, but it would demand a lot of what seems like a fairly new actress. Anyone watch her in anything else where she showed more range?

Shin Na-Ra - I deem her too young to be it.

Hwang Jae-Min- He seems to be there to be the pure clown-type of character. I don't think it's him, because if he were to pull off of this sort of thing, he'd need more people skills, and I think he'd have done much more clean murders too. Not the messy ones.

Kong Han-Min- Not enough background story to root him as a definite suspect. I kinda doubt it since his character arc is about to complete and it would throw it for a loop if you added this in.

Bo-Kook- put him on the investigation, while turn arounds where the killer wants to be caught types have ben done before, I have my serious doubts about it. He knows Detective Ha's reputation.

Last three are too minor characters without enough roots to make it firmly on the list.:

Kim Moon-Ki

Lee Sun-Ho

Ha Ji-Seung

I'd *like* it to be Jo In Ho, because the actor really can play the range (people don't usually remember he can play that range too since he's been doing mostly comedic roles lately, but trust me, he can and it would make for a nice twist). I wouldn't mind if it was Shin Jang Goo if Min A can act. Gye Sung-Woo  would be my third choice since it's not as interesting to see how all of the pieces come together. I'd be really surprised if it's Hwang Jae-Min because it just looks too sloppy and he doesn't have those types of skill sets.

Those would be my votes from a writing angle.

Seems like some Korean netizens feel the same way as I do about this season (too many cases, writer lacking focus):

http://netizendrama.blogspot.fi/2018/04/spoilers-queen-of-mystery-2-e11-12.html

17 hours ago, Kim Yunmi said:

We know the protagonists aren't it, and Kyungmi isn't it. And Profiler Woo isn't it because he's been tracking the case on his own. Thus the suspect list is:

<snip>

@Kim Yunmi Good analysis on who is behind this.

I do think that the cake lady is involved one way or the other in this whole mess. Either she is secretary Kim,  working for Secretary Kim or then she is trying to bring secretary Kim down.

TBH, the people that seem the most shady at this point (except for Cake Lady) are the ones closest to Ha Wan Seung. His mentor Bo Kook is giving me weird vibes. Also, I hope I am wrong, but doesn't it seem that WS's brother, Ha Ji-Seung is hiding a secret...?

1 hour ago, partyon said:

TBH, the people that seem the most shady at this point (except for Cake Lady) are the ones closest to Ha Wan Seung. His mentor Bo Kook is giving me weird vibes. Also, I hope I am wrong, but doesn't it seem that WS's brother, Ha Ji-Seung is hiding a secret...?

Hm, the brother. The brother seems to be too good. In a way, it makes sense that the father wanted the detective to become the director of the company because the brother seems to be gullible. On the other hand, the detective lacks subtlety and seems to be kind of lazy.  Poor father: both his sons are useless.

Now on the issue, whether the brother hides something: for sure, he kept from the detective two things.: that he is a good friend of the cake shop owner and that he heard (from the father) about how dangerous secretary Kim can be. However, it did not seem to me that he was under any duty to disclose these things to his brother or that he kept them from his brother because he had ill intentions.

On the issue of his relationship with the cake shop owner, he seems to be smitten by her and probably considers a private matter--although it is a mistake to mix pleasure and business as he did (he made her the director of a foundation that is part of the law firm).

On the other issue, of his knowledge about secretary Kim: in the scene where he discusses with his brother, he seems to be more preoccupied with the father's health.

18 hours ago, Kim Yunmi said:

Bo-Kook- put him on the investigation, while turn arounds where the killer wants to be caught types have ben done before, I have my serious doubts about it. He knows Detective Ha's reputation.

Thank you for mentioning other possibilities. Now on what you said here, especially on knowing Detective Ha's reputation: what do you mean? One thing that we learn during the series is that he is not very logical. He works on intuitions, feelings, hunches. They are not wrong but remember that in the first season, it took him a while to realize that the other detective (the one that stabs the gangster) is guilty. and he could not see it because they were kind of friends.

Maybe I am wrong, but this season cemented, even more, the image of the detective Ha as a spoiled son of a rich family: he is used to bossing people around, to be childish and petty, to be kind of lazy because other need to do things for him. In fact, last season, he was more competent because he was more driven (he wanted to discover what happened to his old girlfriend). This season, he falls in love and seems to apply himself less to what he is supposed to do. At one point, I was thinking that a good end for the series will be with him leaving the police force to become the director of his father's law firm. For what keeps him in the force seems to be to find secretary Kim and stay around Seol Ok. I am unsure whether he desires to be a public servant (although now I remember that it was that scene that made Seol Ok think that he is cool--in the episode with the arsonist child, I think).

Sorry for the long posts and for cutting your posts.

4 hours ago, tzupi said:

Thank you for mentioning other possibilities. Now on what you said here, especially on knowing Detective Ha's reputation: what do you mean? One thing that we learn during the series is that he is not very logical. He works on intuitions, feelings, hunches. They are not wrong but remember that in the first season, it took him a while to realize that the other detective (the one that stabs the gangster) is guilty. and he could not see it because they were kind of friends.

His reputation is as a dog who doesn't let go. I kinda think he got a little lazy last season with Seol Ok around. But there have been several blatant mentions of keeping Seol Ok and Detective Ha apart work-wise throughout the show, which needs to be tied up and resolved--they are a super team, with her intellect and his hunches/intuition. Jo In Ho seems to be in on it. It might also be why Seol Ok "failed" the last time around while her friend passed. If so, and they find that out she could become a legit police officer which is what the show needs her to end up as then get married. That would be my bow ending (well, engaged at least since a second wedding is expensive to stage.)

On episode 13: One mystery is solved. I like how the show started dissecting what love is. From the preview of the next episode, another mystery seems to get a kind of solution.

I do not say more because some people might not spoilers. I am waiting for you to watch it and to start discussing it. 

5 hours ago, tzupi said:

On episode 13: One mystery is solved. I like how the show started dissecting what love is. From the preview of the next episode, another mystery seems to get a kind of solution.

I do not say more because some people might not spoilers. I am waiting for you to watch it and to start discussing it. 

Hi @tzupi I just finished Ep13 and the episode kept me awake. Its lovely to see the blossoming love between Detective Ha and Seol Ok but now the real Seo Hyun Soo is back. Will it disturb the love between Detective Ha and Seok Ok? Its also great to see the Profiler finally realised who is Secretary Kim. Ep14 is today right? Looking forward to the outcome.....

2 hours ago, alekaonu said:

Hi @tzupi I just finished Ep13 and the episode kept me awake. Its lovely to see the blossoming love between Detective Ha and Seol Ok but now the real Seo Hyun Soo is back. Will it disturb the love between Detective Ha and Seok Ok? Its also great to see the Profiler finally realised who is Secretary Kim. Ep14 is today right? Looking forward to the outcome.....

My feel is that the blossoming love between detective Ha and SO will continue to blossom. Ha never knew the real Seo Hyun Soo and she definitely had hidden her true self from him. When he finally finds out who Hyun Soo was/is and what really happened in the past to make her disappear for so many years and even her current activities and intentions now, he will be devastated. 

Love the episodes up to Ep 13!

Kinda of suspected that there was something strange about Hee Yeon.

I think Wan Seung memories are from the past and with the sudden disappearance, he is only left with memories of the good moments he shared with her.

But, this is 17 years later and he is no longer a boy. I am sure he is coming to realise that there are many different types of love.

BTW, I love the 7 year mystery and the meaning behind the crime.

at the end of episode 13, so the cake lady is actually not Sec Kim? 

WanSeung is/was in love with the image he had of Seo Hyun Soo, their teenage romance was very short-lived and still in honeymoon period. I think he had start to realized where his heart is now.

I do hope the questions from S1 will be answered in this season.. the drama is baiting for S3, and im all for it but i want my answers! haha..

17 hours ago, ross27 said:

Ha never knew the real Seo Hyun Soo and she definitely had hidden her true self from him.

Looks like she was a groomed spy from the flashback? Thus why there are so many "copycats" with her name floating around.

BTW, Hyun Soo is typically a male name: http://www.erumy.com/nameAnalyze/eDefault.aspx?name=서현수

But the meanings for the name are quite interesting and relate to the story well.

1. She cross dresses as a male in the Waiting Room play. This would relate very well to the fact the name is usually a male name.

2. Her name gives lots of clues.

Seo means gradually, deliberately, gently.

OR the other hanja means "West" (which she did claim to do--go West... to France, actually, which is west from Korea.)

The top hit for "Hyeon" as a hanja is 賢 which means intelligence/genius. She's supposed to be a smart cake designer, right? Second one is "light" or "Shine" which also relates... third is weep, or cry, shine or glisten... next one is bowstring... and last one is gemstone.
賢 (어질 현) 전체선호순 4위 / 136,621번 사용(1.1061%)- intelligence/genius
炫 (빛날 현) 전체선호순 13위 / 77,021번 사용(0.6236%)- light/shine.
泫 (빛날 현) 전체선호순 45위 / 41,911번 사용(0.3393%)- weep/cry, shine or glisten
鉉 (솥귀 현) 전체선호순 48위 / 39,343번 사용(0.3185%)- bowstring
玹 (옥돌 현) 전체선호순 121위 / 20,573번 사용(0.1666%)- gemstone

洙 (강이름 수) 전체선호순 49위 / 39,333번 사용(0.3184%)- Name of a Chinese river.
受 (받을 수) 전체선호순 132위 / 19,324번 사용(0.1564%)- vedana (sensation) (In general, vedanā refers to the pleasant, unpleasant and neutral sensations that occur when our internal sense organs come into contact with external sense objects and the associated consciousness. Sounds like the plot of the Waiting Room, right?)
修 (닦을 수) 전체선호순 147위 / 17,029번 사용(0.1379%)- discipline, conduct oneself well, study, master
守 (지킬 수) 전체선호순 151위 / 16,683번 사용(0.1351%) guard protect defend.

Looks like someone actually thought through the name selection. If you put it all together, it seems like the writer didn't think up a specific set of hanja and tried to utilize the name to build the character.

For example, the character is supposed to be super intelligent, shine like a star, yet cry, a lot and long /weep, yet is like a bowstring (i.e. a weapon), and is supposed to be a gem, but just as fake (allusion to the plastic bit.)

She also bends like a river, and the whole vedana thing is like a total summary of that play... and she is also disciplined/being disciplined... and she also wants to guard/defend her love.

Might be all coincidence, but usually writers aren't that arbitrary, and the fact she cross dressed when it's predominantly a male name is like a tip to the Korean audience that we should know who it is.

(BTW, I hope no one abuses the resource I posted and tries to craft their own Korean names, because seriously, you don't understand what goes into them, the process, the timings, etc. It makes most other country's naming conventions look like they went to a fast food joint.)

3 hours ago, fyEkz said:

at the end of episode 13, so the cake lady is actually not Sec Kim?

I don't think it'll get a 3rd season considering the ratings are low, plus the pacing is just about right to resolve the big mystery. I don't think Hyun Soo cake lady is actually Secretary Kim, but the people who grabbed her in the flashback work for Secretary Kim and she's just his messenger.

18 hours ago, ross27 said:

My feel is that the blossoming love between detective Ha and SO will continue to blossom. Ha never knew the real Seo Hyun Soo and she definitely had hidden her true self from him. When he finally finds out who Hyun Soo was/is and what really happened in the past to make her disappear for so many years and even her current activities and intentions now, he will be devastated. 

20 hours ago, alekaonu said:

We are preoccupied with the same things... Detective Ha needs closure and for the moment, he is not quite in the mood to pursue Seol Ok. I was paying a lot of attention to their interactions in episode 14. It did not seem to me that their interactions had the same intensity as before. But I do not think there is any reason to despair. First, the new case is difficult and awful, so they do not have time to bicker around as usual. Second, it is normal for Detective Han to be confused about the returning of his old love.

That being said, there was a good sign in episode 14: detective Ha was very happy when Seol Ok said that she was charmed by his cooking skills. His reaction was as funny as usual: always so happy with any small acknowledgement that Seol Ok throws him. 

So I agree with  @ross27that things will blossom between them, but it will take some time and part of why that will happen is that detective Ha did not really know his old girlfriend.

One thing I am concerned about is the old girlfriend's future. If she dies, I do not know how happy I will be with Detective's Ha reaction. I also want that Detective Ha meets with her as soon as possible so that he ends up with his thinking about her. I was wondering why the profiler managed to meet her, but not detective Ha. Probably she also does not want to be found, because it is better for her to remain unknown to detective Ha: the profiler raised serious issues with the morality or her actions. Detective Ha will have the same issues if he knows more about her actions.

Archived