Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2017-2018] Prison Playbook (Wise Prison Life) 슬기로운 감빵생활

I see familiar names from BTMFL have moved here! :D perhaps it’s the hairstyle and the stoic expression of Jae Hyuk that will help our weaning period from SH!

Prison Playbook has Quite an unusual plot. Intriguing and that dead pan look from male lead was so spot on SH! I have doubts though on Krystal. I find her acting chops lacking, even from her recent work, Habaek. Pretty but her fame overshadows her talent.

I watched 2 eps with Eng sub then ep3 and half of ep4 in Raw when the server stopped! And when I checked Viu, it’s not there. When I checked Netflix, ep3-4 Will be subbed on Monday! Ahh their translators are so slow! I think Netflix only has contract with JTBC because only their shows Show up there! Wish they Will also court TVN— they really have better content. JTBC content is also good. 

Anyway, if there are kind recappers who can offer quick summary of Ep 3-4, it Will be much appreciated! 

• Like 3

hi guys, caught up to ep3...it's been a long while since i last watched drama cos my last crack drama was unbeatable (in my opinion). i really love the male lead who is basically Garbage+Chilbongie+Choi Taek rolled into one, and upgraded. lol

Ep3 quick summary, i don't have very much time so just point form for now:

- after jae hyuk was stabbed, he appeared to be fine to the doctor. subsequently he is transferred to the large prison

- second generation chaebol, the dim inmate from the small west prison is also transferred to the same room

- we meet the rest of his cell mates for the first time, and they appear menacing and seem to be plotting to escape the prison, but in reality, they were just trying to hack the hot water machine to make ramyun

- ji ho still continues to visit jae hyuk and she comments that he has become chattier. if he had been that chatty during their dating days, they would still be together

- jae hyuk is sent to make furniture with the rest of the inmates (and fails terribly at it), and they work overtime without pay. the head inmate in charge of the factory appears nice and gives him a baseball but in reality corrupted together with the prison guard to withhold the overtime pay.

- one of jae hyuk' cellmates, prof ko, sends a whistle blowing letter regarding this, and the prison guard and head inmate are reprimanded. another inmate gets angry and tries to get ko into trouble by sneaking a wrench into his bag. when discovered, jae hyuk takes the blame instead

- angry inmate tries to beat up jae hyuk for meddling, but instead gets punished by head inmate.... who turns to jae hyuk and starts sexually harassing him

- saved in the nick of time by joon ho who went through a lot of effort to be transferred to the big prison to watch out for jae hyuk

- we are introduced to the inmates and why they were put into prison - the guy with the lisp got thrown in for cheating at gambling , the young dude for stealing a bread van, prof ko for embezzling, taek's dad for murder, and second gen chaebol for drugs.

- we were also introduced to jae hyuk and ji ho's back story in the middle- he was basically a cradle snatcher lol. she is his first love but he is not (haha)

- joon ho and jae hyuk are hanging out on a weekend, and jae hyuk shows joon ho the baseball he got from the wood work factory head inmate. joon ho throws it to jae hyuk who could not catch it and has lost grip in his left hand.

i am enjoying this series. i love jae hyuk as a character and can't wait to see how he faces more adversity head on in prison!

just to edit, my understanding of the dialogue and scenes are second hand as i watched with chinese subs. ^•^

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Soompi won't let me upload gifs... so I will have to do it tomorrow. :D

But I'm really enjoying the drama so far.

• Like 5

I'm a bit confusing about this. In 'Defendant' and 'Doubtful victory' they said don't call prisoners by name to remind they not 'human' but in this drama all prisoners were called by their name, so what is the true?

• Like 3

Same here @Jillia ! Hello to @polarbear99 . Thanks @boingboingracquet for the caps for eps 3, that will tide me over till Tuesday!

Not sure @quockhanh45 . I didn't realise they had such rules, though officially in  most prisons, they do call them by their numbers.

----------------------------------------

So i watched the 1st two subbed episodes on Netflix and enjoyed them very much. This one is a keeper.  So many things that I love about this slice of prison life drama. It is funny and sad at the same time. There were many poignant moments as well as scenes depicting the harsh reality of life behind bars. Honestly, the SK prisons look pretty decent and seem more humanitarian compared to those you see in HK or South East Asian dramas (at least that was the perception I got) . But anyway some things I loved.

1. Kim Je Hyeok - our male lead -I have never seen this actor before,  but I have to say he is perfectly casted for this role and  has a lot to carry on his shoulders.  Not to mention , he has got a great physique  :D.  What's with the scar here? From the accident?

Spoiler

8VYiUxY.png

It is hard not to like or love him. His ex and friend describe him as dense and slow - well I think he is actually quite quick witted & an out of the box thinker. See how he threw the ball to adjust the camera, which eventually got the corrupted Chief Warden investigated. I love his kind and warm personality. I like that he won't sit there and close a blind eye to injustice. His hot temper and inability to be indifferent will land him in more sticky situations , but I am looking forward to how he will handle this one year here.

Spoiler

RGSjaoV.png

2. The friendship btwn Joon Ho and Je Hyeok. I was initially surprised to see that JKH took on the role of Joon Ho as this role seem to take the back seat to Je Hyeok's role. But nevertheless , I am glad he did anyway as I really like their relationship. Obviously still a lot of love and care btwn these two. We find out that Joon Ho is actually the more talented one but lacks the tenacity that Je Hyeok has.  That is why the latter went on to fufill his dreams despite having the more serious injury.  This reminds me of the saying "Slow and steady wins the race". It's Je Hyeok's never give up attitude that has got him so far, and will  help him survive this one year. So I am wondering if this chanced encounter between the two is fate's way of allowing Joon Ho to find some closure / peace for not fulfilling his dreams.  I wonder what happened btwn the two though - why did they not keep in contact being such good friends?

1Qe7G81.pngr5r6VEv.png

3. Nothing and no one is what it seems. I love how the drama shows us that not everything can be taken at face value. Je Hyeok could not stand that the errand boy was being bullied. Joon Ho tells him not to sympathise too much , as the errand boy himself is no better. So no guessing  who has been stealing and stashing away all the food meant for the prisoners.

Spoiler

9SPAZg4.png

But before it becomes all cynical about the pointlessness of doing good, Je Hyeok's kindness and generosity did  not go to waste. So glad that instead of giving the Chief Warden the $$ , he helped Mr Know It All's mum. That was a pretty touching scene

Spoiler

l012mYI.png

On a final note...I really like this actor ever since I saw him as Prosecutor Yoon in Secret Forest. He is really good as a loony chaebol junkie.

s4kurDV.png

Can't wait for the next episodes !

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

I really like how this scene is showing Joon-ho's feelings after the trial...

Anger.gif

This emotional state of Je-hyuk. :(

Scream9fa9bf9b74424f2c.gif

Credit: I made these gifs

• Like 7

no problem @triplem, i caught up to ep 4 too, but no time to summarize yet, maybe tonight. it was so surprising that i enjoyed a prison drama to be honest. i usually hate depressive shows.

@Jillia thanks for the gifs,there was something sadly satisfying to see je hyuk finally give in to his desire and curse his heart out. je hyuk's greatest strength is his solidarity and tenacity in the face of adversity but after watching ep. 4, one starts to realise that he is human, too, after all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Such a rare gem for a drama.  Caught up to Episode 4, and I like how each episode feels like an Aesop's Fable. TvN has impressed me once more, with the editing, script and directing of the drama. 

Here's the gist of what happens in episode 4

Spoiler

The high ranking officers needs to get Je Hyeok for an interview (the prisoner's face will be shown) by the broadcasting station for their prison. So they attempted to make a deal with Je Hyeok- an external hospital consultation for his arm in return for him doing the interview, to which he rejects. Meanwhile there's a singing competition to be held in prison and Professor Go enters the competition upon hearing the winner gets a day off. Some backstory of Professor Go is shown. During carpentry workshop, Je Hyeok got his head hit by a nail-attached wood plank by working group head, and was rushed to an external hospital, where he founds out his arm needs treatment for 2 to 3 years. The singing competition commences; Professor Go got 1st place, but found out the prize didn't include a day off. The high-ranking officers then threatened Professor Go to go for the interview, but Je Hyeok found out and went in Professor Go's place. He then makes a shocking announcement during the interview. Also in this episode is the record breaking 42 kisses by Ji Ho to Je Hyeok during their dating days. 

As much as I'm a fan for spoilers, reading episode reviews if you're intending to watch the episode itself later will probably just spoil all your fun with the twists and turns. So I really don't recommend it unless you're heavily spoiler-addicted. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

11 hours ago, Ruique said:

Such a rare gem for a drama.  Caught up to Episode 4, and I like how each episode feels like an Aesop's Fable. TvN has impressed me once more, with the editing, script and directing of the drama. 

i agree... i like how it seems that themes , events and stories are self contained within the one or two episodes each week, but are left with just enough cliff hanger to make us look forward to the next installment. everyone's acting well in this too, i didnt realise jung woong in was in this series as well! 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, triplem said:

On a final note...I really like this actor ever since I saw him as Prosecutor Yoon in Secret Forest. He is really good as a loony chaebol junkie.

YES! When I saw him on the bus, I was trying to place where I first saw him. I knew I must have liked his other projects,  just didn't know which ones until I remembered Secret Forest. I LOVE the way he played his character then. I couldn't hate him despite what he did.

Coming from my addiction to BTIMFL, watching this series sobered me up. I was trying to get over my BTIFML hangover by watching Mad Dog and Two Cops, but after watching this series, I think it trumps both. I'm now invested.

I :heart: these parts (I only watched the first episode):

"Stupid in life." HAH! I find it so relatable because I'm the same. :D

The opening credits. It feels very new/fresh (in the same way the concept of this show is fresh). If anyone has seen Misfits (a British show), their opening credits have the same vibe. Also, I love the OST! I have it now in my playlist.

I didn't read anything about this series before watching episode 1. I just saw the poster of the different characters and was intrigued. I didn't even know it was created by the ones behind Reply 1988 (which is in my top 3 kdramas of all time). I didn't know what to expect, and I still don't know what's going to happen next. It's such a great thing to not know how will everything will play out. I'm just enjoying watching the show and letting it surprise me (the same way BTIMFL and Reply 1988 did). 

Also, this show reminds me of "The Night Of" (HBO show), not because they're similar but because they're the opposite. I love "The Night Of" but it made me really sad. Although "Prison Playbook" is also about being in prison, I'm so relieved there are light moments in this show to offset the dark images and stories about real life in prison. Jehyeok being stupid at the batting cage, then his cream mustache, the bear police on the poster welcoming prisoners, etc. 

What Jehyeok did for Jailbird really made me cry.

• Like 5

I have to admit I'm here for more moments between Joon-ho and Je-hee.:wub:

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

On 05/12/2017 at 6:17 PM, Jillia said:

Awww... I just watched the 4th episode and saw what you were referring too. :D

To be honest, I think the show has not found its footing yet. It is sometimes all over the place, but I think it is why this show is charming. I never really know what's going to happen next. I also love the fact that although new characters are being introduced, and we left behind some of the characters when Jehyeok moved, it does not bother me one bit.

I can't wait to know more about everyone's life outside prison and the crimes they committed, like "Orange is the New Black." What I loved about that show is (aside from the strong, female cast) discovering what the inmates did and what their lives were like before going to prison.

• Like 2

On 12/5/2017 at 5:17 PM, Jillia said:

Ah, finally I found you for team up. I’m going with Joon-Ho and Je- Hee toooooo. 

I’m melting with the way he comforted her with flower and transferred her brother’s words.

Hope this couple has some more moments...

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

2 hours ago, lollyminx said:

Awww... I just watched the 4th episode and saw what you were referring too. :D

To be honest, I think the show has not found its footing yet. It is sometimes all over the place, but I think it is why this show is charming. I never really know what's going to happen next. I also love the fact that although new characters are being introduced, and we left behind some of the characters when Jehyeok moved, it does not bother me one bit.

I can't wait to know more about everyone's life outside prison and the crimes they committed, like "Orange is the New Black." What I loved about that show is (aside from the strong, female cast) discovering what the inmates did and what their lives were like before going to prison.

That's true though.

I'm not sure what it wants to be either. It's described as a black comedy but personally I think it's sometimes less funny and then it's funny in moments I don't find it very fitting. 

I still like it though since the directing and the cast itself feels very assured. But it definitely needs to find its footing quickly since the drama only got 16 episodes.

• Like 2

hooked on Prison. tbh, am here for the drama cos it is PD Shin (me a Reply fan) and cos Uri Sung Appa is in it.

was rather lost with the 1st ep but the unique storyline slowly draws me in. like how it focus on the development of JeHyeok in Prison, for him as a celebrity to live among the common folks and focusing on the human relationships and a "family" without blood ties. the bromance between 2 male leads is heartwarming with JoonHo protecting JeHyeok, JoonHo conveying JeHyeok's feelings to JeHee. there is nothing these 2 brothers would not do for each other. rather than trying to take advantage of his "celebrity" status, JeHyeok's cell mates rallied around to help and protect him. just like when JeHyeok realised the shampoo's owner is a death row convict, looks and background should not make one biased of another person. the seemingly evil has a heart of gold and the seemingly good is plotting a massive revolt.

Prison is like a simmering stew, slowly developing it's flavour. although it can be quite confusing with some "time jump" but the reveal and background add layers to it's story. 

• Like 3