[Drama 2017-2018] Prison Playbook (Wise Prison Life), 슬기로운 감빵생활

Go Seung Ji

I'm so late to the party. I was never persuaded by the recommended list on Netflix. But that all changed after i watched Life on Mars and got myself into a JKH wormhole. Naturally i started searching for his other dramas and found out prison playbook. 

And i loved it. Such a unique drama with so many cast members. What other drama have more than 10 individual character posters? The story was surprisingly heart warming despite the coldness of its premise and the negativity of its subject matter. We can see how the characters change for the better (lots of characters : junho, jaehyuk, henchmen etc) , how some just cant change (hanyang!), how they can find some sunshine in such a dark moment of their lives (the prison gang), how family members can step up and help when one is in dire need (captain yoo and his brother). Theres so much more to this drama. It is so layered i can go on and on.

Needless to say, my favourite character is junho. Though JKH playing him might also be a contributing factor haha. Junho may not be present in a lot of scenes, but he showed growth and various ranges of emotions. We get to see him being such a good friend for Jaehyuk, how caring and protective he was towards Jaehee. He also was nonchalant about his job and colleagues at first, but slowly he changed and looked like he enjoys his job and start to hang out with his colleagues. He also has such a dynamic and fun relationship with his brother, nearly all their scenes, even phonecalls were hilarious. His relationship with Jaehee was so organic and adorable. They naturally liked each other and i cant help but feel happy for them for finding each other. 

I watched Law of the City - New York, JKH is one of the cast members and i somehow feel like he is somewhat similar to Junho in real life other than his fashion sense. Junho has great fashion sense, i like his styling and outfits. JKH's fashion sense is questionable hahahaha.

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

What the hell I were when this drama airing.... I was there but decided to skip this... silly me. I just done watching the drama yesterday and I feel so stupid for passing this before... this drama is so good... I laughed a lot during the time... I can't believe that prison life would be so human as that... negative image are cleared right away... true there is bad people, corrupt officers but everything told in a very human and meaningful.... I love it... Reply PD series really is a genius. can't wait to see another work of him, and this time I won't hesitate again...

• 2 months later...

I think I've watched this about three times now... whenever I'm in the mood, I pop it on. The other half told me the other day that this is his favourite K drama ever. It's definitely one of my all time favourites. I think I can watch this again and again. The word "classic" has been thrown around a lot but this one really deserves it.

I'm so sad that I haven't liked anything that Jung Hae In has been in since this. I've got Tune in for Love lined up on my list so I'll look at that when I'm travelling long distance.

• 2 weeks later...

Had no intention of watching this, but Netflix suggested it after another show had ended. Just one episode through and I'm already sucked in. Park Hae Soo's facial expressions are totally spot on. Really happy to see Jung Kyung Ho here and looking forward to Jung Hae In's part. Loving Sarah Brightman in the background as well. (Thumbs up.)

P.S. Never would have thought I'd see Romance of the Three Kingdoms here. Can't believe he's turning the pages totally the wrong way. LOL.

• Guest changed the title to [Drama 2017-2018] Prison Playbook (Wise Prison Life), 슬기로운 감빵생활
  • 6 months later...

Maknae’s Verdict

“You did your very best, but you weren’t given any opportunity. So just blame the world instead. The world should’ve tried harder. The problem was that the world never gave you an opportunity. It should do its best. Curse and cry all you want. Don’t beat yourself up.”

Prison Playbook was a great series as far as dark comedies are concerned. It managed to successfully be humorous in a setting that was normally considered as serious and, as the genre implied, “dark.” The series was funny without being mean. It didn’t make light of the issues of each of its characters. Yes, these characters were hilarious but the series also delved into their crimes/sins and  the question on whether or not such evilness is innate in us. The setting has also blurred the lines between who’s good and who’s not.

https://ahjummamshies.wordpress.com/2020/05/23/k-drama-rewind-prison-playbook/

Hi guys! I know i'm quite late asking this question. But,anyone of you know the Background music in Episode 01 @ 1:12:54 - 1:14:00 on Prison Playbook i've been searching it for quite sometimes but unable to find it even when i try to Shazam but no result. Maybe because its not the offical ost. Appreciate if anyone able to help :) Thanks in advance :) 

Archived