Quantcast
Jump to content
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2017-2018] Prison Playbook (Wise Prison Life) 슬기로운 감빵생활

Recommended Posts

55 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

 

@juleeekkkzzz, I took a look at episode 16 at 16:00 and there was a carnivalesque background music playing, but it only lasted a few seconds during a fight scene, and then no bgm at all. You had mentioned that it was playing from 16:00 to 17:48, so I'm not sure that bit was it. Also, I'm not sure that I can identify the song for you anyway since bgm isn't my forte. Sorry.

 

 

My bad. It was episode 15. It started with Officer Na plugging in his headphone and the scene continued with Hanyang feeling cold while sleeping so he attempted to hug capt. yoo but capt yoo pushed him and hanyang ended up scooting under dolamani's blanket.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, juleeekkkzzz said:

 

My bad. It was episode 15. It started with Officer Na plugging in his headphone and the scene continued with Hanyang feeling cold while sleeping so he attempted to hug capt. yoo but capt yoo pushed him and hanyang ended up scooting under dolamani's blanket.

 

It's a song called "Snail" by Lee Juck. Here is one of his performances when he was in a duo called Panic.

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

 

It's a song called "Snail" by Lee Juck. Here is one of his performances when he was in a duo called Panic.

 

 

Thank you. :heart:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, stroppyse said:

 

 

 

However, JKH is known as not only being an excellent actor, but choosing his projects thoughtfully, so that I was more willing to try it. Especially finding out that JKH wasn't even the lead when he has been a leading man in so many projects already made me wonder what it was about this drama that he agreed to take part.

 

Ultimately, I love the role that he played, and in fact, I was glad that he didn't play the lead role with his stoicism. Rather, JKH was able to bring to life a whole host of other emotions and situations, and providing a bridge between the prison life and the outside world even while going through a growth arc and a romance arc of his own.

 

 

JKH certainly brought his versatility to this project which is what I appreciate about him as an actor. And I agree, I too am glad that he was able to bring a few more shades to the prison guard role particularly his comedic skills that he's been lauded for in recent years.

That said, in the end I was surprised at how much of an arc JHo did have despite being a "support act". He went on his own little journey as someone else who was, despite all appearances of having it all together, trying to work out what he really wanted out of life. He'd been floundering for a while it seemed and was even thinking of becoming a teacher (which I don't recommend). But once he took on the task of helping JHyeok rehabilitate and actually got up close and personal with his colleagues esp. Song and Paeng, as well as some of the inmates, being a correctional officer became less of a job and more of a vocation. It's quite fitting that at the end of the drama, he's the one doing the rounds on that wing and making the final roll call. It gave me the sense that he'd found his niche and was beginning to embrace the role in all its facets.

 

I should also thank Netflix for pointing me in the right direction. :tongue: They'd been "pestering" me for a couple of weeks earlier to watch Prison Playbook ie. it was on their recommended list.  I also hesitated initially because of the subject matter but then recalled that I'd seen a number of prison movies in the past that I did enjoy. I came here and saw people raving about it and found out that JKH was in it. The rest... they say... is history.

The one thing though, that I don't like about watching Kdramas on Netflix is the way they gloss over the honorifics and other cultural references... which is IMO all part of the experience of watching a K drama in the first place. However, it's sadly the only way I get to watch K dramas legally.

 

On another note, I'd only ever seen Reply 1988 with the FF button and while I liked aspects of it (the characters mostly), the pacing was torturous. One of my Korean friends said that she loved it because it reminded her of her childhood. I liked the 80s aspect to it... brought back some memories in terms of how it was like to live in an Asian country as a teenager with a large community of relatives but it was very slow going for me.

 

Oh yes... one more thing... I am definitely going to try Kaist's secret noodle recipe. I've written it down and I buy Jin Ramen regularly anyway. :D

  • Like 6
  • LOL 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Oh yes... one more thing... I am definitely going to try Kaist's secret noodle recipe. I've written it down and I buy Jin Ramen regularly anyway. :D

 

Yay! Please make sure to check back and tell us how that goes. I'm super curious.

 

And thanks to @stroppyse for all the helpful translations and discussions, and to everyone else in the thread! 

  • Like 4
  • LOL 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2018 at 3:57 PM, 40somethingahjumma said:

 

Oh yes... one more thing... I am definitely going to try Kaist's secret noodle recipe. I've written it down and I buy Jin Ramen regularly anyway. :D

 

I would be curious as well. Definitely come back and give us your review of the dish.

 

Also, do you mind posting the recipe? I remember going "yuck" when I was watching the scene, but perhaps I should try it before I dismiss it. :) 

  • Like 3
  • LOL 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where did Beobja went? he transferred to prison with kim je hyeok but why did i didn't see him after ep 10 or so he used to go with kim je hyeok to the pitching area to help him

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Leejea Jin said:

Where did Beobja went? he transferred to prison with kim je hyeok but why did i didn't see him after ep 10 or so he used to go with kim je hyeok to the pitching area to help him

 

He was not going anywhere. He was there for Jehyuk till the last episode. You should continue to watch till ep 16 first so you can see how Jehyuk has successfully stolen Yang Hyeonjong's (his rival) fans :lol: 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@stroppyse 

Kaist's Family Secret Noodle Recipe

 

Soak noodles in Sprite for 30 minutes.

Mix the instant noodle seasoning, flakes, apricot tea

Add 3 spoons of Sprite

1/3 tbsp of sesame oil (to finish)

 

The only ingredient that I'm having trouble tracking down is the apricot tea. I asked at one of my local K supermarkets and the sales assistant there hadn't heard of it and it wasn't something they stocked either. They did, however, stock peach tea. I'm thinking maybe I should substitute with that. :wink:

 

I was wondering if you had any idea whether such a thing as apricot tea exists. Or is it something Netflix mistranslated.

 

I did try making it without the apricot tea... it was quite okay to my taste, edible although nothing like how the guys were reacting. :tongue: I used Jin Ramen. Not sure if it's better with Shin Ramyeon. :wink:

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

@stroppyse 

Kaist's Family Secret Noodle Recipe

 

Soak noodles in Sprite for 30 minutes.

Mix the instant noodle seasoning, flakes, apricot tea

Add 3 spoons of Sprite

1/3 tbsp of sesame oil (to finish)

 

The only ingredient that I'm having trouble tracking down is the apricot tea. I asked at one of my local K supermarkets and the sales assistant there hadn't heard of it and it wasn't something they stocked either. They did, however, stock peach tea. I'm thinking maybe I should substitute with that. :wink:

 

I was wondering if you had any idea whether such a thing as apricot tea exists. Or is it something Netflix mistranslated.

 

I did try making it without the apricot tea... it was quite okay to my taste, edible although nothing like how the guys were reacting. :tongue: I used Jin Ramen. Not sure if it's better with Shin Ramyeon. :wink:

 

Thanks for the recipe and update. I just remembered the soda and went yuck, but now you're making me curious about it. :)

 

I don't think apricot tea is that common a thing, though I'm sure it exists somewhere in the world. However, I'll have to go back and listen to it again to see if they are talking about apricot tea versus something else. For some reason, I had thought it had been one of those instant coffee mix packets that Kaist had dumped in, but I'll have to go listen again now. Do you remember which episode it was when he made his special ramen?

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

finished the drama, i'm kinda disappointed with the last 2 episodes. i wish there was a reunion but i know in real life after you get out of jail i guess you don't hang out with the same people you were in jail with. i hope there is a season 2 but i don't think it will happend because then kim je hyeok has to go back to jail again but with what another accident?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

@stroppyse 

Kaist's Family Secret Noodle Recipe

 

Soak noodles in Sprite for 30 minutes.

Mix the instant noodle seasoning, flakes, apricot tea

Add 3 spoons of Sprite

1/3 tbsp of sesame oil (to finish)

 

The only ingredient that I'm having trouble tracking down is the apricot tea. I asked at one of my local K supermarkets and the sales assistant there hadn't heard of it and it wasn't something they stocked either. They did, however, stock peach tea. I'm thinking maybe I should substitute with that. :wink:

 

I was wondering if you had any idea whether such a thing as apricot tea exists. Or is it something Netflix mistranslated.

 

I did try making it without the apricot tea... it was quite okay to my taste, edible although nothing like how the guys were reacting. :tongue: I used Jin Ramen. Not sure if it's better with Shin Ramyeon. :wink:

so do you boil noodles in sprite? or just soak them and add flavours just like that.. flakes m assuming means chilli flakes..?

 

add 3 spoons of sprite? - after boiling?

27 minutes ago, Leejea Jin said:

finished the drama, i'm kinda disappointed with the last 2 episodes. i wish there was a reunion but i know in real life after you get out of jail i guess you don't hang out with the same people you were in jail with. i hope there is a season 2 but i don't think it will happend because then kim je hyeok has to go back to jail again but with what another accident?

season 2 is being ocnsidered but like rpely series.. there will be new stories , new characters

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

so do you boil noodles in sprite? or just soak them and add flavours just like that.. flakes m assuming means chilli flakes..?

 

add 3 spoons of sprite? - after boiling?

 

 

No boiling is needed. :wink: The Sprite naturally softens the noodles in that half hour. 

I couldn't find the apricot tea sadly but I found sachets of peach tea. You can probably use peach tea from a bag. LIpton might have one.

 

My own verdict is that the flavour isn't bad but a little too sweet for me. I much prefer my noodles savoury. I will try again and give the 3 tbsps of Sprite a miss the next time.

 

The second time round I used a disposable bowl of noodles so I poured the Sprite into the bowl and let it soak for about half an hour. Then I poured out the Sprite and added about a mug of peach tea (boiling) into the bowl to let it form the basis of the soup. Then I added the packet flavouring and the sesame oil.

 

@stroppyse @cinnyangel

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

 

No boiling is needed. :wink: The Sprite naturally softens the noodles in that half hour. 

I couldn't find the apricot tea sadly but I found sachets of peach tea. You can probably use peach tea from a bag. LIpton might have one.

 

My own verdict is that the flavour isn't bad but a little too sweet for me. I much prefer my noodles savoury. I will try again and give the 3 tbsps of Sprite a miss the next time.

 

The second time round I used a disposable bowl of noodles so I poured the Sprite into the bowl and let it soak for about half an hour. Then I poured out the Sprite and added about a mug of peach tea (boiling) into the bowl to let it form the basis of the soup. Then I added the packet flavouring and the sesame oil.

 

@stroppyse @cinnyangel

thanks!

sprite is sweet.. apricot/peach is sweet..(how much sprite did you use for 1 packet noodles - lets say ramyun packet size) flavouring did that dissolve in softened noodles just like that?

can i substitute sesame pil with something else (too strong for my taste)..

 

i am excited to try this.. 

 

  • Like 1
  • LOL 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/29/2018 at 8:09 PM, stroppyse said:

 

Thanks for the recipe and update. I just remembered the soda and went yuck, but now you're making me curious about it. :)

 

I don't think apricot tea is that common a thing, though I'm sure it exists somewhere in the world. However, I'll have to go back and listen to it again to see if they are talking about apricot tea versus something else. For some reason, I had thought it had been one of those instant coffee mix packets that Kaist had dumped in, but I'll have to go listen again now. Do you remember which episode it was when he made his special ramen?

@stroppyse Here is the short clip of that episode 

 

As we can see in the thumbnail or 0:33, it is written "매실차" (mae-sil-cha) on the white-green sachet. I googled it and another English translation for it is "Chinese plum" tea.

 

@40somethingahjumma Maybe when you visit your local K supermarket again, you can ask by saying "mae-sil-cha". There's plenty of brands so hopefully they are selling one of it.

I will try my luck too :D

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for that @jyvild. It's immensely helpful. :) I think what the Netflix subber should have translated it into was "Japanese apricot tea" or just plain o'l "plum tea".

 

There are a couple of K supermarkets within walking distance. I might try the larger one first.

 

12 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

thanks!

sprite is sweet.. apricot/peach is sweet..(how much sprite did you use for 1 packet noodles - lets say ramyun packet size) flavouring did that dissolve in softened noodles just like that?

can i substitute sesame pil with something else (too strong for my taste)..

 

i am excited to try this.. 

 

 

I didn't measure the Sprite. I poured just enough to cover the noodles although the noodles tend to float up a  bit.

I tend not to use sesame oil in large quantities even when I make my own dumplings or meatballs. A dash/drop here and a dash/dop there is often enough just to get the flavour through the meat. I suggest you add to taste. I wouldn't know what to substitute it with, it has such a unique flavour.

 

I think an average sized coffee mug of mae sil cha for a disposable bowl of noodles is probably sufficient for the soup base.

 

But I'm still experimenting. :D Why don't you experiment a little and let us know how you go? :wink: 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@40somethingahjumma @jyvild, as you've surmised, they're talking about mae-sil. While some Korean dictionaries may translate this to apricots, they're not apricots. They're actually Korean green plums aka Chinese green plums or Japanese ume. They are not the red or black plums that are commonly eaten as fruit since they are harder, smaller, very sour, and acidic so not eaten as fresh fruit at all. Rather, a sweetened syrup is made from them that is used in a variety of recipes, and they are considered very good for one's health.

 

So, a mae-shil tea is a fruit tea, but you may have to look for them in an Asian store. Or you could just try a little green plum syrup instead which I've seen in Korean food stores.

 

edit: @40somethingahjumma, it can't be plum tea. It has to be green plum tea since it's a different flavor profile than plum tea or apricot tea.

 

additional edit: Now I'm wondering whether, if you can't find the green plum tea, whether it's better approximated by a citrus fruit tea to get some of that tang rather than a stone fruit tea which are sweet without the acidic tang.

 

When I make bibim-myun which is what Kaist's recipe is supposed to taste like when finished, I do typically use a little citrus or vinegar in making up the sauce to give it some tanginess.

  • Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yay! I found the maesil cha at my local K supermarket. (I have this feeling that I may have had it before)

I bought the variety that is essentially a fruit cordial that one mixes up with water. The sales assistant was quite helpful and told me that she takes a spoonful of it to help settle her stomach when she has a bad tummy.

Will let you know when I've tried it. Good o'l Kaist... :tongue: Trust him to send me on a wild goose hunt.

 

Edit: Yes, it does taste a bit like prune juice as I expected. So I am thinking that prune juice could be a reasonable substitute. It does make sense. Prunes are preserved plums after all.

  • LOL 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi People! What’s happening??? Just saw this clip with our beloved cast! Help! @stroppyse

 

https://youtu.be/xV8AFqycm3I

 

And also Haerongi, Kaist & Dr Ko (looking fashionably chic) got together recently?

 

https://youtu.be/ps-fH_iNLuc

 

I thought I’m done but with not much interest in current dramas, I’ve started to rewatch the drama again because the first time round, with the delayed subtitles and busyness of RL, I missed some parts. Loving it!

 

Hope all’s well :wub: Hwaiting :wub:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@jbying7, not right now, but I'll try to get these translated for you when I can. Just FYI, the first clip is actually a parody that the Wise Prison Life actors did. The Video title is:  [Wise Prison Life Parody] If Cell 2-6 were prosecutors? Wife Prosecutor Life. LOL. The second one seems to be Haerong, Kaist and Dr. Ko getting together for a drink and a chat.

 

Anyway, they look fun. I'll see when I can do them. Just FYI, because of all the captions, the non-drama scene clips actually end up taking me longer to translate, so I have to block out enough time to do them. :)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...