Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2017-2018] Prison Playbook (Wise Prison Life) 슬기로운 감빵생활

2 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Are people still reading this thread? I was thinking of translating the remaining clips from the last episode, but not sure if anyone will be around to read them still, or whether I would just be spamming the thread. :) 

Yes, still reading, still checking for new posts.. but don't stress over translating the clips. =)

For me, the saddest part of this series is us understanding where every character comes from. Sure, we hoped for happy ending for all of them. When we were presented with Hanyang's tragedy we were bitter.. but we understood. We understood that things like that happen in real life. It's sad and frustrating but we bitterly accepted it deep down inside because we all knew  that mess like that happens everywhere. And that's painful.

But like what Shin PD said, this show brings hope. We should also see Hanyang's story with hope.

Edited by triplem
Please do not post consecutively within one hour. Edit to add.
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, stroppyse said:

MC: Oh, no! Untouchable!
Yoo: “Unbelievable”, hyung.
MC: Is that right?
Yoo: You said you scored 700 on the TOEIC.
MC: Oops.

Omg.. this is so funny xD untouchable funny!!!

@stroppyse now that you mentioned it, i do realise that no one say anything to dolmani when they left. Why? I don't understand.. Its sad.. i wonder things would be awkward when he is left with captain yoo.. is he able to cope with new inmates if someone is coming in.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, yoyo_icecube said:

Omg.. this is so funny xD untouchable funny!!!

@stroppyse now that you mentioned it, i do realise that no one say anything to dolmani when they left. Why? I don't understand.. Its sad.. i wonder things would be awkward when he is left with captain yoo.. is he able to cope with new inmates if someone is coming in.

That scene with MC and his business ideas was one of a number of moments of unadulterated humor in the last episode. :)

The finger hearts that Officer Paeng sent to Joon Ho for beating up that one inmate was also funny, as was Jae Hyuk "forgetting" to thank Joon Ho during his interview, which as I speculated before was actually deliberately forgotten since Jae Hyuk knew that Joon Ho was already seeing Jae Hee. However, I loved how slyly Jae Hyuk played it without Joon Ho even realizing it.

As for Dolmani, I've been thinking and thinking about it, and I still don't understand, nor do we know what happens to him. Cpt. Yoo is sitting in the cell by himself when he finds out that ex-Sgt. Oh was successfully prosecuted for murder, so no hint as to Dolmani once he says goodbye to Jae Hyuk on the day that Jae Hyuk leaves. :(

And actually, there are indications that Jae Hyuk will be in touch with a number of the inmates. He tells MC that he'll contact him as soon as he gets out. He tells Jailbird that he's going to employ him as soon as he gets out. As for Yoo Jung Woo, everyone liked him, plus he has a brother and a family. Dolmani really has no one.

Also, this was Jae Hyuk's goodbye scene with his cellmates when Joon Ho finally comes to walk him out of prison:

(JH wordlessly hugs JW)
Dolmani: Hyung-nim, go well. This grace, i will never forget it.
JH: Grace whatever.
Dolmani: You were the first one to treat me like a person. From you, I received my first treatment as a person. (Dolmani hugs JH) Thank you, hyung-nim.

(JH walks out of the cell.)

On the one hand, I like that JH really hugs Dolmani with affection when he hugs him, and it's true that JH didn't have any words for JW either, but I still feel a bit empty about Dolmani who seems to have no one in the world on his side, and the only measure of warmth or even decent treatment was what he received from JH. I want him to have more than just that.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Are people still reading this thread? I was thinking of translating the remaining clips from the last episode, but not sure if anyone will be around to read them still, or whether I would just be spamming the thread. :) 

If you can, please do. Dying here waiting for subbed episodes which will only come out next Tuesday on Netflix. Thanks loads

--------------------------

I am sad to read about Hanyang, He was my favourite character. But the message sent by the writer/ PD is clear - jail is not the best place to help rehabilitate and reform the addict. It was a losing battle for Hanyang in spite of how he valiantly he fought because the root of his problem ( the lack of affection especially from his mum) was never dealt with.

I will miss the cast !

Spoiler

• Like 8

Gosh, I love this picture. I love this scene.

It was cell 2-6 coming together as a team, or at least a pseudo-gang to put down the really bad gang. I loved Jae Hyuk's apple fast pitch to the bad gang's leader's head, and that what really causes them to book it out of there is JW pulling out a chainsaw. LOL. But, the thing I loved best was that the guys thought turning up their collars was the way to look tough and gangsta. It was just so Grease the Musical or something. ROFLOL

Btw, caption translation:

On he #WisePrisonLife shooting set, the director and all the staff who had lived the prison life with us  suffered much, so I am very grateful.. Thanks to the senior actors, I learned a lot and I was very happy during the shooting (of the drama). Cell 2-6, I love you. To all the viewers who watched us until the very end, thank you..

• Like 4
  • LOL 6

Reading the caption to this insta that @triplem posted, thought it was so sweet. This is Jung Kyung Ho's instagram.

Caption translation:

I don’t want to part. Of course. Of course. (teary emojis) I pray that #Park Hae Soo will always walk a flowered path. (heart)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

TVN just upload farewell message all of the wise prison playbook cast, 

i hope they're release again special episode behind the scene and actor comentary. 

Spoiler

I just open my instagram and actually park hae soo come to the wrap up party, maybe he's late but i don't see someone took pics with Hae Rong .. 

This girls almost take a pics together with all the actor. so envy ... TT,,

When Park Bo Gum visiting Wise Prison Life set at baseball stadium

Edited by Jillia
Please put more than 2 pictures in spoilers tags, thanks! :)
  • Like 9

New BTS, looks like the filming of the last episode. We get to see Kaist, Haerongi (at least we see a happy side of him) and also Dolmani :)

https://youtu.be/HpFLSjKJ5MU

Annyeong to the cast :mellow:

Sorry, posted same link as @Pikachu92 Bian-ne.

It actually took me a while to get used to that short and straight bangs haircut that Park Hae Soo had in the drama, it’s a dorky haircut but outside of the show, I’m glad he looks even better.  He looks very good with a fresh haircut :wub:

And thanks for sharing that Park Bo Gum visited the set to support the drama :wub:  he could give Min Chul, his screen dad in Answer Me 1988, a hug too...:D

Edited by triplem
Pls do not post consecutively within an hour . Edit to add
  • Like 7

41 minutes ago, jbying7 said:

It actually took me a while to get used to that short and straight bangs haircut that Park Hae Soo had in the drama, it’s a dorky haircut but outside of the show, I’m glad he looks even better.  He looks very good with a fresh haircut 

It's okay, :)

Me too, i feel the same at first, its look so weird for him. But then i realise maybe this is for his character, Kim Jae Hyuk is an athlete who always clumsy and look like a fool. That hair style suit for his character. 

But when i see in instagram ,actually so many people in korea who get the same hair style as Kim Jae Hyuk. Maybe that become so hits in korea. :D:D

• Like 4
  • LOL 3

@stroppyse Been reading with great interest your posts about Dolmani and I had mixed feelings like you. I was also a bit disappointed to see that he was not as well integrated as the others, etc. But it is because I have come to like the character and what he represents: he was never treated like a human and thus made mistakes. But his mistakes were huge and too big for redemption to come so quickly. It took MC 22 years, it won't take D 5 months...

Also, Dolmani did a horrible thing that I dont think JH will ever be able to forget and, I would say, forgive. I think JH just tried to transform a horrible situation into sthg bearable but at the end, Dolmani is still the one who destroyed his left shoulder and who tried to kill him numerous times.

In this sense, it makes total sense that JailBird is the one to be "saved" by JH; because he was always good to JH, he helped him overcome many things. He was good, only did minor things like you said, but he also showed potential at being able to escape the sort of cycle he was caught into. I guess it remains to see if Dolmani can still remain the cute Dolmani we have seen in teh last episodes now that his 'boss' is gone... I doubt it to be honest.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, carolinedl said:

@stroppyse Been reading with great interest your posts about Dolmani and I had mixed feelings like you. I was also a bit disappointed to see that he was not as well integrated as the others, etc. But it is because I have come to like the character and what he represents: he was never treated like a human and thus made mistakes. But his mistakes were huge and too big for redemption to come so quickly. It took MC 22 years, it won't take D 5 months...

Also, Dolmani did a horrible thing that I dont think JH will ever be able to forget and, I would say, forgive. I think JH just tried to transform a horrible situation into sthg bearable but at the end, Dolmani is still the one who destroyed his left shoulder and who tried to kill him numerous times.

In this sense, it makes total sense that JailBird is the one to be "saved" by JH; because he was always good to JH, he helped him overcome many things. He was good, only did minor things like you said, but he also showed potential at being able to escape the sort of cycle he was caught into. I guess it remains to see if Dolmani can still remain the cute Dolmani we have seen in teh last episodes now that his 'boss' is gone... I doubt it to be honest.

What you've written is all true, and makes sense. It's because I've come to like Dolmani, and shown that with the right influences, he doesn't have to be a monster, but his intrinsic nature may not have changed. Nor do we know why he is in prison in the first place now when or if he'll ever get out. With a new set of cellmates, he could revert back to the murderous monster that we first met, though I hope the small amount of humanizing that JH did for him at least touched him enough to not blindly follow another's orders, especially to kill and injure.

Who knows, perhaps as you near-speculate, Dolmani over time will become the next MC, though MC at least had known love before, whereas Dolmani had never had love of any kind. I guess I just feel sorry for him still.

Btw, I never questioned why JH showed love for Jailbird. It's clear given that Jailbird had been with Hyuk pretty much from Day 1 of the Detention Center.

As I said, it was just that I felt bad for Dolmani potentially being cut loose back into the savage prison population to fend for himself, possibly with a new boss. However, I also take some comfort that JH had previously put money into Dolmani's prison account so that he can those small treats for himself. I doubt JH will totally forget Dolmani actually, but it's probably true that Dolmani may be in prison for the long haul.

And, Dolmani wasn't in the cell with Jung Woo at the end, because of the random convict transfers that happened may have had Dolmani transferred to another prison already. It was 10 months after all from when JH was released to when he stood on the pitcher's mound again and when ex-Sgt Oh was convicted of murder.

• Like 9

Just one more translation because this is actually so funny, and I loved how it played out. Plus, I keep thinking about this drama. It's a scene involving Joon Ho and Paeng.

Joon Ho: I don’t want to! Why should I go?!
Song: Lt. Lee knows how to speak well. Please go talk to the inmate. Eh?
Joon Ho: I knew that hot temper of his would some day get him in trouble.
Song: Oh, he said that bastard said something strange first.
Joon Ho: Even if he said something strange! He hit an inmate?! Is he a gangster? Is he a gangster bastard? He could have just listened with one ear, and let it flow out the other ear.
Song: Oh, please hurry. That person is in the infirmary right now, and he keeps making a fuss, insisting that he’ll report Lt. Paeng. With Lt. Paeng’s temperament, he is definitely not going to apologize. If he gets another demerit, then he’ll be punished again! Punished again! Lt. Lee, go and ascertain the situation please!
Joon Ho: I don’t want to! (sits back for a second) Aish!

Shim: “I’m sorry”. You just have to say these words and it’s finished.
Paeng: I don’t want to! I’m mad that I didn’t beat the bastard more, so what apology?!
Joon Ho: You want to beat him more, and just get fired this time?! Why would you beat a person?! Hurry up and apologize.
Paeng: I don’t want to. Lt. Lee, just stay out of it.
Joon Ho: Is your pride the issue right now? At least say that you’re sorry for now, and then you can take care of it appropriately later. Are inmates getting out of line something that happens only once or twice? The inmate’s stupid talk, please just listen to it with only one ear and then let it flow out the other! Please.
Paeng: Do you know what that bastard said? He said that when he gets out of here, my wife and my daughter, he’ll kidnap them both…
(JH starts for the room and starts wailing on the inmate)
Joon Ho: You bastard! How dare you open your trap… You bastard! Huh! Let me go! There are things you shouldn’t say! I said you can’t say that… What kind of bastard… You want to mess with us?
Medical: (trying to hold him back) Lt. Lee! Lt. Lee!

(Paeng comes in and starts washing up. JH gets some water and starts washing his ears)
Paeng: Why are you being like this? What are you doing?
Joon Ho: Wash your ears. They said that Yong Jo also did this. (think Yong Jo may be a mythical figure)
Paeng: Ay, really. Anyway, I didn’t listen to that bastard till the end anyway. I beat him immediately. Immediately. (JH just continues washing) Hey!
Joon Ho: It’s all finished now. I’m getting off work now.
Paeng: Lt. Lee, just a moment. (looks in his jacket and comes out with… a finger heart! LOL)
Joon Ho: Have a good day.
Paeng: I have one of these, too. (tries for an arm heart. ROFLOL)

It's hilarious that Joon Ho who is so declarative about not letting anything the inmates say get to him, takes issue that the inmate that Paeng has a tussle with had threatened his wife and daughter. It's one thing to hurl abuses at the officers. It's another to make threats against an officer's loved ones. So, Joon Ho goes and beats the inmate down some more. I think that Joon Ho having started dating not that long ago has probably become more sensitized to the issues of an officer's loved ones since the guards do have a dangerous job as it is.

But, what's cute about this scene is Joon Ho's apology to Paeng which takes the form of washing Paeng's ears, a clear reference to JH's earlier comments about listening with one ear and letting it flow out the other. The inmates comments were too dirty to even listen with one ear, must less let it flow.

And, finally, Paeng's hearts that he throws to Joon Ho. I was totally not expecting this kind of aegyo from Paeng, so I burst out laughing when I first saw it. And, seeing the clip still makes me giggle. :lol:

I do have some final thoughts about this drama, but I'll hold off until everyone has had a chance to watch it with subs. Needless to say, I do find this drama to be touching, thought-provoking, and way tear-inducing, but ultimately, if episode 15 was almost pure pain for me, then episode 16 went out on a note of some hope. Gosh, I really don't know if I could bear to watch a season 2 of this. Unless, they somehow brought HY and Dolmani back. :) 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

@stroppyse I’m Super grateful that you are still doing translations as I’m patiently waiting for subs to come out. I completely cracked up at the scene above. It’s a  great way to solve the conflict btwn the two. I hope jo kyung Ho will get another awesome project soon. This drama made up for the craziness that was Missing Nine. :lol: ( I somehow enjoyed it & finished it nevertheless) 

———

This is one of the few dramas where I came to care very much about all the characters be it main or supporting cast. It was a wonderfully picked ensemble

Everyone trying to imitate Hanyang!

Spoiler

Prison playbook is tvN’s 5th most successful drama of all time in terms of ratings 

Spoiler

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, triplem said:

@stroppyse I’m Super grateful that you are still doing translations as I’m patiently waiting for subs to come out. I completely cracked up at the scene above. It’s a  great way to solve the conflict btwn the two. I hope jo kyung Ho will get another awesome project soon. This drama made up for the craziness that was Missing Nine. :lol: ( I somehow enjoyed it & finished it nevertheless) 

You can make requests if you have any scenes that you're curious about. Since I think I've already spammed this thread with a number of translations of clips. Let me know.  :) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

You can make requests if you have any scenes that you're curious about. Since I think I've already spammed this thread with a number of translations of clips. Let me know.  :) 

Do you think you could translate this one ? Haha. I love these two 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, triplem said:

Do you think you could translate this one ? Haha. I love these two 

I've already translated this scene. You'll find it on page 21.  And yes, it's an awfully cute scene, and these two are seriously cute together. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 21/01/2018 at 3:17 AM, stroppyse said:

I doubt JH will totally forget Dolmani actually, but it's probably true that Dolmani may be in prison for the long haul.

I don't think so, even though in episode 2 Joon Ho said to Jae Hyuk not to tell his contact or promising meet each other with the other inmates , or like seagul said to Jail Bird in episode 1 or 2 to not nice to Jae Hyuk since becaus Jae Hyuk maybe threat them like a scum once his get out. I think , Jae Hyuk will not forget to the someone who help him, maybe he's don't say anything to Dolmani because Jae Hyuk know that is Dolmani still long way to go in prison. 

One thing i get from Han Yang stories, don't stay away from people with drugs problem. Because they're just need help to be break away his sense from the temptation to consume drug again. I think the attention of people around is needed. As in the story, instead of the family who met him  for the first time but the person who give him with drugs who pick up him first. So Han Yang think that he's alone and drug always with him and overcome his feeling. Because the drama told us, its not easy to really stop from drug. But I still don't understand why the police do that. They should rest the person who selling that right(Han Yang friend who give him drug for the first time). Why the police cooperation with him, they should arrest him right? he's the one who sell it and give it to Han Yang. Its not like he's already quit from drug.

I like the ending, but the fact they don't including how the older inmates condition in ending it make me feel like eating something bland.:D:D I'm expectating some clip they'are watching Jae Hyuk game from their place. Because i know their sentences still along. so they're still in the prison. Han Yang in his place look at the TV (Jae Hyuk match, Dr Ko and Kaist in his cell watching too, and Min Chul and his family watching too. Dolmani and Jung Woo and other warden too. There is some logic for this, because they want make it to season 2 or they actually shooting it but did'nt show it because they're cut it off because of the timing. I wish they're release special again about cut scene, comentary , behind the scene etc. 

On 21/01/2018 at 3:16 PM, stroppyse said:

You can make requests if you have any scenes that you're curious about. Since I think I've already spammed this thread with a number of translations of clips. Let me know

are you already watching the raw of episode 16? can you translate it from 1:30:00, what happen to the game? win or lose?

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Pikachu92 said:

are you already watching the raw of episode 16? can you translate it from 1:30:00, what happen to the game? win or lose?

Yes, I've already finished watching the raw of ep 16. The Nexen Heroes are losing to the Tigers 0-10 in the first game of the Korea Cup when JH goes in as a relief pitcher. The game ends with Nexen losing 0-10. So, JH doesn't get the win, but his pitching was probably good enough. And, afterwards, despite his team losing, Jae Hyuk goes to Ji Ho anyway rather than disappear by himself, so that's progress on Jae Hyuk's side. The sports newscaster voiceover notes Nexen's loss, but also comment on how since it serves as Kim Jae Hyuk's return to baseball, it was an emotional game watched by many fans.

• Like 6

The clip of the final goodbyes from the cast. 

Photographer: 1 - 2 - 3
caption: Cell 2-6 final day of shooting!
Photographer: 1 - 2 - 3

caption: Final..? Impossible…

MC: Lies…!

Park Hae Soo/Kim Jae Hyuk: Today is the day I get released, and the day that as the last thing I leave here. Park Hae Soo was really great, and I want to compliment myself as well. Not as Kim Jae Hyuk, but as the actor, I am very sad.

PHS: P.S.
caption: To Joon Ho
PHS: My friend Joon Ho, Kyung Ho, I’m sincerely grateful. When it was cold, you embraced me…When it was warm, you ran away… Kyung Ho, if you weren’t here, we really couldn’t have made this project. Thank you very much.
caption: To Ji Ho
PHS: For normally smiling brightly like Ji Ho, thank you very much.

Ji Ho: Not those words. Different words.
Jung Soo Jung/Ji Ho: Today on the set, we were filming for the last time, but it doesn’t feel real that we are going to be finishing soon. You’ve worked hard. Thank you!

caption: NG because he forgot his lines, Joon Ho’s AEGYO TIME
Jung Kyung Ho/Joon Ho: When we received the script and all got together it was in July, and thankfully, we’ve finished it all well. Today is the last day of shooting, and…
caption: Lips quivering…

Jae Hee: I really had not meant to cry. But seeing oppa, the tears keep forming.
Im Hwa Young/Kim Jae Hee: Hello, all you viewers…
IHY: I’ll do it again!
caption: (ruined)
IHY: In Wise Prison Life, I’m Kim Jae Hee.
IHY: I hope that even in the future that Wise Prison Life will be a drama that will be remembered.

Kim Kyung Nam/Lee Joon Dol: During that time, it was a very happy and fun time. Thank you for loving Joon Dol. You’ve worked hard~

Paeng: Oh my ga! s range~  (me: I think this was a joke. He started saying Oh My God, but turned it into Oh My Gas Range, possibly because he didn’t want to offend anyone.)
caption: 3 seconds later bursting out at the ajusshi joke.
Joon Ho: I’m sorry. I’m sorry.
Jung Woong In/Lt. Paeng: I had heard that there were a lot of actors here who weren’t well known. I had worried a lot whether we would be able to perform well together, but that turned out to be a useless concern. Thank you.

Song: This is the very warmest~
Song: Hey, yeah, yeah
Kang Ki Doong/Guard Song: Wise Prison Life (waves his hand goodbye, with a sad look on his face) (crying sounds)
KKD: Don’t go. (caption: Like an ex-boyfriend)

MC: Have you eaten?
MC: Yah! You’re not going to give up that banana? (He’s imitating a Hae Rong line. Also, I should explain here that this line about the banana in Korean is a near rhyme when said.)
Choi Moo Sung/Long term convict: All the actors who were shooting together, it’s cold right now, so were breathing out big steams of breaths, and suffering a lot. However, because many people watched us and loved us, I want to offer my thanks.

caption: Come on over~ It’s the first time for a wink, isn’t it?
Park Ho San/Mullaedong - Kaist: I shot my last scene today. After we finished, the staff gave me a bouquet of tulips that we had used in the scene today. The meaning of the flowers is “forgiveness”. If anyone did not enjoy the drama, then please forgive us. Cell 2-6, I love you.

Staff: Yah!!!
HY: Ack! I’m sorry. K K K
caption: My heart (heart)
HY: Shooting that has taken 6 months has finally finished. It was really a very long time. Because I received a lot of love, I was grateful, and so I was able to find the energy to do the shooting well.
HY: If you look here, Athlete Kim is…
Lee Kyu Hyung/Han Yang: My final greeting is being given together with the back of Athlete Kim’s head.Thank you.
KJH caption: (typing sounds)

caption: Having shown us honey chemistry, Yoo Yoo Couple
Jung Hae In/Captain Yoo: I think I’m going to miss it a lot. Actually, I feel a little sad. While I was shooting, the thing that was difficult was holding back the laughter. The hyungs were so much fun and funny, that as we were shooting, it became harder and harder to hold back the laughter.

Yoo: What’s this? Aigoo.
KJH: Again?

Ahn Chang Hwang/Dolmani: I am living diligently as an actor. I love you.

caption: Determined to receive Jae Hyuk’s pitch, Jailbird!
Kim Sung Chul/Jailbird: Wearing a prison outfit and living, the thought that I shouldn’t commit a crime came to me a little. Living an unfamiliar life, I think I was still able to get a little feel for it. Jailbird will now be off in a hurry. Everyone, bye~

caption: For loving Wise Prison Life until now, thank you.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Trying not to read spoilers. So I can be tagged? Who is the prison drug supplier in ep 6? I can't recall who he is. The guy who asks the drug addicts to vote for JH.

I am only on ep 6 after 2 weeks. Going slowly and enjoying it. I am dying to know what happens when I watch it. But restraining myself from seeing the episode spoilers. It's sorta killing me. Have already downloaded the whole series but no time to marathon it.

• Like 4