Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2017-2018] Prison Playbook (Wise Prison Life) 슬기로운 감빵생활

6 hours ago, dubuqueen said:

Could be a possible reason and I'd second that! But for now I'll keep my expectations low 

that would mean 2 years..

97 was 2012,  94 happened 2014 ish .. 88 2016 .. PPlaybook ending in 2018.. 

• Like 4

Pervert gets beaten up and put in the infirmary

Translation of the scene:

JH: I don’t have to leave. I’m not playing baseball. Because of human trash like you, I decided not to play baseball. Because of a Richard Simmons like you… (sighs) I’m going to just end my life here.
Pervert: Yah. Yah. Yah. Look here.
(JH is about to strike him with a dumbbell when the older inmate whose life JH had previously saved from burning jumps out and wails on the pervert with a stick instead. The older inmate picks up a chair next which is when JH finally unfreezes and jumps in.)
JH: Don’t do it! Stop it, ajusshi, that’s enough! (the older inmate stops)
Inmate: Athlete Kim, this is the only thing I can do for you. I was grateful to you. For saving my life, thank you. Because I didn’t say that to you, it weighed on me. Now that I have said, for only saying it now, I’m sorry.

(infirmary, where the pervert is handcuffed to the bed)
Paeng: Aigoo, aigoo, aigoo.
Shim: Aigoo. Hey, are you coming back to consciousness now?
Paeng: Ayoo, you really have to regain consciousness quickly. So that we can throw you into the punishment chamber.  
Pervert: Kim Jae Hyuk hit me.
Paeng: What?
Pervert: Kim Jae Hyuk, that bastard, is the one who hit me.
Shim: My, your words are very short to an older person. (meaning that the pervert was speaking informally which isn’t appreciated) Also, the older man who handles sorts recycling already confessed that he’s the one who beat you up.
Pervert: Kim Jae Hyuk did it with him. Kim Jae Hyuk also hit me.
Paeng: Where did he (meaning the pervert) come from? Ah, he came from Daegu, didn’t he? Yeom Sang Jin-sshi, there are a lot of CCTV’s here. The warden here is a CCTV-maniac. Everything was recorded. Everything. That the recycling older man who beat you up has all been recorded.
Shim: Also, apparently, you threatened Athlete Kim Jae Hyuk to give you $300,000. What will you do? That was recorded as well.
Pervert: Recorded? Who recorded it?
Jae Hyuk: I did. I recorded it.
Pervert: You did?
JH on the recording: If I give you $300,000, do you get about $100,000?
Pervert: Richard Simmons.
JH: Listen to it till the end.
Pervert on the recording: I’m going to keep all of this. The head bastard (the grey haired inmate who is actually a gang boss inside the prison - he’s called the head because he’s the top guy of that gang group), I’m going to get him on a violence charge (which would have led to him being transferred to a different prison), and I’m going to keep all of this. Since, Ihave a temperament which can’t work for someone.
JH on recording: Then take this and shove off.
JH: Lt. Paeng, I’ll ask you for a favor. This recording, please let this guy’s head or boss or whatever, listen to it. Ah, the cellphone is mine, so if you could just let him listen to it, then put it in the locker room, then that will be fine.
Paeng: Geez, these things think that I’m their errand boy.
Jae Hyuk: Thank you.
Jae Hyuk: (to pervert) Take care of your body. Richard Simmons.

In dealing with the pervert, Jae Hyuk originally tries to pay off the pervert as a way to end it. The conversation that Jae Hyuk had recorded and played back for the pervert was from that meeting. However, the pervert then crosses the line, and threatens Jae Hyuk's little sister, claiming that some guys he knows have taken to eating at her restaurant. That is when Jae Hyuk texts Ji Ho, asking if she would still stay with him if he didn't play baseball.

I think think that Jae Hyuk had originally set up a plan to double cross the pervert with the money in order to get him to incriminate himself on the recording. The mention of Jae Hee changed all that, however, and Jae Hyuk clearly met with him the second time (when the pervert had told Jae Hyuk to pay the rest of the money he wanted using his body and to meet him secretly) intending bodily harm to the pervert if not outright maiming or killing, knowing full well that he would not leave prison then.

The older recycling inmate saves Jae Hyuk by jumping in and beating on the pervert for Jae Hyuk, and this is what he means when he says that it's the only thing he can do for JH. The older man is going to be in prison for life for murdering the guys who had killed his son. Having another death on his hands won't lengthen his sentence or change anything much for him.

And, then Jae Hyuk goes back to his original plan of using the incriminating recording to exact his revenge on the pervert. The gray haired "Head" as they call him is known to be a more vicious person than even the pervert. In a previous scene, the Head casually remarked that he had had the achilles tendons of one of his inmate minions sliced because the man was thought to be on the take from him. It was meant to be a warning that the pervert didn't heed, since the pervert had plotted to keep the money and get rid of the Head. Alerting the Head to what the pervert had planned probably means that the Head will now be gunning for the pervert in a prison justice where the pervert won't be able to hide or get away. That's why Jae Hyuk's passing remark which is meant somewhat ironically and rather sadistically that the pervert should take care of his body.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Yoo Jung Woo finds out that he will get his retrial.

Yoo: Hyung, are you even reading the papers now?
JH: I’m reading today’s horoscopes. Jung Woo, what is your (Chinese) zodiac sign? Are you a dragon?
Yoo: Yes, I’m a dragon.
Jae Hyuk: Dragon. Where is the dragon? Here it is.

Song: Perhaps, is there something there for Yoo Jung Woo?
Delivery guy: Yes, here it is. It’s from the Seo Bu Regional Court.

Yoo: What is it? It’s not good, is it? Just go ahead and read it. I don’t believe in horoscopes anyway.
Jae Hyuk: Yeah, it’s all useless anyway. It tells me that I shouldn’t go on a trip today nor go shopping.
Yoo: So, what does it say?
Jae Hyuk: You have endured a great difficulty in your life. Even if what you hoped for doesn’t happen, don’t be too disappointed.

Lawyer: Do you want to see it?  (brother shake his head no)
Brother: I’ll look at it. Give it to me.
Lawyer: At the very top, it says that they’ve reached a decision. Up to that, it’s the same. If they’ve accepted the request for a retrial, then it will say that the “accept”. If it’s refused, then the reference to the decision will be the same, but instead of “accept”, it will say “reject”.

(Cpt Yoo, having opened the letter from the court, just cries.)
Joon Ho: What does it say?
Jae Hyuk: (reading) The court has decided to take up the retrial.

It was a long, hard road for the brothers to try to establish Cpt. Yoo's innocence, and their tears as they find that they've been granted the appeal/retrial is pure relief. Even as Jae Hyuk had said to Jung Woo way back when, it's not that one likes being in prison, however, since you're there, you might as well try to go with it. Otherwise, you won't last. Jung Woo has taken that to heart, and has tried to fit in with his cellmates, even coming to respect, admire and love them. However, that doesn't change the fact that he's in prison.

However, that the retrial was granted shows that the courts believe that there is sufficient new evidence to take the case to court again, and so that is a huge hurdle to cross. The drama earlier cited less than 5% of the appeals are actually accepted, the rest are rejected. Though JW and his brother know that he did not do the crime, they also know that the odds of correcting it were very low.

So, now that the first part of the battle is over, at least there is real hope now. It will still take time. In a later scene when Private Park's mother meets with JW's brother, she mentions that she had heard the process can take up to 2 years. Btw, in that scene, Private Park's mother gives the compensation money that she received for Private Park's death to JW's brother. She mentions that she couldn't bring herself to use that money, but if went to help defray the costs of going to the new trial, that she thought that's the way, the money should be spent. It's an act of atonement from Private Park's mother towards JW and his brother.

I had anticipated that Cpt. Yoo would be successful in getting his retrial request granted, though I appreciate that the drama didn't spend time jumps just to show us that he would get out. That was always going to be a long process, however, it's not the sentence  that he had originally been given for murder, so now it was just a matter of time until JW would be free. Anyway, the reason I anticipated that JW would have a happy end to the drama is that he is a man who is truly innocent of his crime, and for him to stay in jail with no hope while the drama ended would have made no sense at all other than to say that the courts of South Korea are completely messed up. :)

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Jailbird leaves jail, but not without seeing Jae Hyuk one more time.

Shim: Athlete Kim Jae Hyuk, I thought that he was the unluckiest man in the world, but I guess that’s not true.
Paeng: That’s true. Thankfully, that life sentence inmate was sorting the recycling last night. Otherwise, last night would have been the end to baseball player Kim Jae Hyuk.
Shim: Really.
Paeng: Just thinking about it now, my heart is shuddering.
Shim: A life time convict, if you add a year, it’s still a life sentence. If you add ten years, it’s still a life sentence. Wah, could there be a better outcome than this? Yah, i hope that Athlete Kim Jae Hyuk’s luck would just keep increasing! Huh?
Paeng: Two months? Not even two months is left. We’re almost there. We’re almost there! Our Athlete Kim, let’s go to the (pitching) mound!
Shim: Let’s go!
Paeng: Ow! Really.
Shim: This..

caption: Christmas D-3
caption: Kim Min Chul release D-1
Song: It’s so cold. Ay. It is the warmest here. (seeing Joon Ho) Oh, why is he sleeping here?  Did he come to work early today?
Shim: In the wee hours of the morning, he came out. Jailbird (BJ) was released early this morning. So that he could walk Jailbird out, he had come to work totally early this morning.

Joon Ho: Now that you’re leaving, do you like it so much? Since you’re leaving without even being able to see Kim Jae Hyuk’s face, that’s too bad.
BJ: I saw him yesterday.
Joon Ho: How?
BJ: While I was in solitary, I saw for for a moment.
Joon Ho: Yah, that bastard. The prison is his living room, his living room, isn’t it?

(flashback to Jae Hyuk seeing BJ, hands him a slip of paper)
Jae Hyuk: You get out tomorrow, don’t you?
BJ: Yes.
Jae Hyuk: Because you’re smart, you can go on a bad path at any time. Right now, you’re a minor criminal, but the probability is high that you’ll become a major criminal.
BJ: Is that something to be saying to someone who is leaving tomorrow?
Jae Hyuk: What are you going to do when you get out?
BJ: I don’t know. Since I have a prison record, no one will hire me anyway. At least, I’m going to around looking for part time work for now. (looking at the slip of paper) Oh, is this a phone number? Who is it? Who is this person?
Jae Hyuk: Me. That’s my cellphone number. When you get out, don’t do any foolish things. Until I get out, just study TOEIC (Test of English for International Communication). I’m going to hire you.
BJ: Hyung…
Jae Hyuk: That’s enough. Don’t do things like that. (Jae Hyuk leaves)
Paeng: (following) Ay.

Song: Lt. Paeng! Kim Min Chul gets out tomorrow, doesn’t he? Athlete Kim will also leave in about ten days. Now that room will only have Dolmani in it. The room has completely broken up. It’s broken up.
Paeng: Captain Yoo is in there. Yoo Jung Woo.
Song: That’s right. The request for a retrial. That’s really taking a long time. At this rate, a year is going to be over. If everyone leaves, and only Captain Yoo is there by himself, what will he do?
Paeng: What could you do? You can just go in and stay with him.
Paeng: (at Song’s attempted aegyo) Oh, go over there! Aish!

I thought it was interesting that Jae Hyuk went to BJ and told him that he would employ him once he was released, however, he only says goodbye to Dolmani who also came to idolize him and would do anything for him. Jailbird might be a minor crook who has an intimate knowledge about prisons, but it's also true that he is is smart enough that he might work his way to major crimes, just as he is also smart enough to potentially have a future if only directed into the right paths at the right time. The Koreans have a saying about people who are too smart for their own good, so that if they see a shortcut, they'll take it, even if it's morally ambiguous or wrong. The problem can be that they are smart enough to get away with it most of the time, but sooner or later, they're caught and then it's a non-reversible event. As BJ says, with a prison record, a lot of jobs and opportunities are forever closed, but hardly anyone ever does a crime thinking that they'll get caught.

With Dolmani, who is a product of violence, it's a much tougher question in terms of his future. Kim Jae Hyuk only says goodbye to Dolmani without any promises of employment or future contact. Dolmani himself thanks Jae Hyuk for being the first person in his life who treated him like a human being, and for that he'll be forever grateful. Hearing that made me hope that Dolmani will also have a future outside of prison, though we aren't told why he's in prison or how long his sentence is. Still, Dolmani is only 25, so hopefully, he won't be in prison too long and will be able to form a productive life for himself outside the prison without backsliding into a gang. I've thought that with Dolmani as we saw him open up more that it was as much about self confidence, as in Dolmani doesn't have any except as a brute. He's probably been told that he was stupid for all of his life, which cultivated his attitude of needing a master to serve. It's funny how they started calling him a cyborg for his tolerance to pain as well as his stoic visage, but it was also a little sad. I think it was realistic for Kim Jae Hyuk not to make any promises to see Dolmani since it's unclear what will happen outside of prison. However, Jae Hyuk has shown that he is loyal to people who are loyal to him, so that i can see Jae Hyuk continuing to make sure that there is money in Dolmani's spending account, and agreeing to take him on in some capacity if Dolmani stays clean, and out of gangs and violence. Dolmani has seemed like just a very lonely person, and despite his initial attack on JH has come to be a staunch supporter and extremely obedient to him, to the point of allowing himself to be beaten bloody because JH had told Dolmani not to hit people any more.

These were the YT clips posted to the thread, though I'm sure there must be many more clips than just the ones posted to the thread. There are a few more scenes that stick to my mind, especially Min Chul's goodbyes before he leaves. If I get a chance, I'll look them up and post translations of them.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

what did minchul ajussi said to his daughter? is it about the skills that he picked up at the prison and his certificates... ?? 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, kaftanbatikcantik said:

han yang asked ji won n his father to wait for him at the restaurant..but why did he sad when no one waiting for him in front of the gate????

I think part of the problem for HY is that he is literally starved for affection, as well as overt signs that he is loved. So, despite him telling JW and his family to wait for him at the restaurant, I think he wanted them to want to see him so badly that they couldn't wait for him in the restaurant, but had to come to the gate to see him. While they probably took it as a sign of respect for his wishes to wait where he had told them to wait.

And, in a matter of steps and a couple of minutes was all it took to send HY back to his own personal nightmare.

Btw, I do realize that it sends a strong signal that addiction is also not simply about one's own will. HY proved he had the will to kick it, but not when it was in arms reach with someone encouraging him to do so.

As the guards had said previously in the drama, the prisons can't do anything for the addicts. What they need are treatments and support, but they aren't getting those in the current prison system.

Still, I'm still sad for HY.

1 hour ago, yoyo_icecube said:

what did minchul ajussi said to his daughter? is it about the skills that he picked up at the prison and his certificates... ?? 

MC mentioned to his daughter that he had a number of certificates since he had plenty of time in prison to study. When he saw his daughter was impressed, he then rattled off more of the certificates that he had. I don't remember whether how many certificates he had earned in total.

Later on, in the cell, he shows his cellmates his various certificates, including his TOEIC (Test of English for International Communication) certificate, for which he said he had a score of 700 which is fairly good. The scale for TOEIC scores is from 10-990 points. I think 900 points is what the universities require of the ones who want to see a TOEIC score. More importantly, a lot of Korean companies want to see a TOEIC score as part of one's c.v. or resume. That's why a cellmate remarks that MC can go get any job he wants since he's taken the TOEIC and gotten a good score on it.

Other certificates, working from memory seem to be various licenses to operate vehicles, to fix boilers and air conditioning units, an electrician's certificate, etc. basically a lot of occupational certificates required to work in that field. However, as MC put it, it's all based on book learning since he's never actually done anything practical in those any of those fields.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Jung Hae In And “Prison Playbook” PD Share Their Thoughts On The Finale

Jung-Hae-In.jpg

As tvN’s “Prison Playbook” came to an end on January 18, Jung Hae In and several other cast members talked about their experience during filming and shared their thoughts on what the drama meant to them.

In a statement released through FNC Entertainment, Jung Hae In remarked, “‘Prison Playbook’ was a new challenge and the greatest of joys [for me]. I gained wisdom and life lessons while filming the drama.”

The actor also expressed his immense gratitude for everyone involved with the drama, saying, “I want to give my love and thanks to director Shin Won Ho and the crew for giving me the opportunity to act and also for making the set such a happy place that it was hard for us to hold back our laughter whenever we filmed. I also give my love and thanks to my Cell 2, Room 6 family, who took good care of me even though I was lacking in many ways.

He went on, “I sincerely thank the viewers for enjoying ‘Prison Playbook’ together with us until now. I think it was because of the fans’ enjoyment that I was able to gain the energy I needed to film [the drama]. It was truly a blessing.”

Actress Im Hwa Young also thanked the viewers of the show, expressing her regret that “Prison Playbook” was already over. She commented, “It seems like just yesterday that I was introducing myself as [my character] Kim Jae Hee, and I’m already saying my goodbyes and thanking you for having loved the character.

She added, “I would like it if ‘Prison Playbook’ were a drama that remained forever in viewers’ memory.”

Im-Hwa-Young.jpg

Actor Jung Woong In shared that he had initially been worried about the chemistry between his prison guard character and the various inmates, but that his concerns had turned out to be unnecessary.

He explained, “Because the actors I worked with treated me warmly and made me comfortable, they turned the character of Chief Pang into the warmest character in the world. I want to thank them for that.”

The actor also spoke fondly of the drama in general, saying that he was happy to have had the chance to play a different type of role. He noted, “I think it speaks to the strength of this drama that I was able to play this kind of character, even though I’m known for playing villains.”

Jung-Woong-In.jpg

Lee Kyu Hyung remarked, “I filmed the drama with a happy and grateful heart, thanks to the fact that ‘Prison Playbook’ received a great deal of love. Thank you so much for giving [the drama] lots of love.”

He went on to promise, “I will return and show you an improved version of myself in another drama. I will always continue to work hard and do my best.”

Lee-Kyu-Hyung.jpg

Finally, Shin Won Ho, the producing director (PD) of “Prison Playbook,” shared his final thoughts on the drama. When asked what message he hoped viewers would take away from the show, he replied, “It makes no sense to say what message I want to convey. I think my mission is to throw a diverse array of stories and different sides of life [at the viewers] to offer them an enjoyable, emotional experience. I think it’s up to the viewers to decide what they want to take away from it.

Are you sad to see “Prison Playbook” end? Leave your thoughts below!

Source: Soompi 
Original Article: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)

• Like 6
  • Sad 3

Spoiler
14 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

be honest did you move on after the news of hyeri and jungpal dating in real life came out? :tongue::tongue: 

I moved on before that but after the dating news came out I felt like I could watch the last two episodes :tongue: It was definitely the cherry on top.

Edited by stroppyse
Put into spoiler because it's off topic.
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1

5 hours ago, Ahmad Kamil said:

I think it speaks to the strength of this drama that I was able to play this kind of character, even though I’m known for playing villains.”

So true, i only know him as a villains, im so happy to see him as a very warm character.. im gonna miss mr. Paeng. I hope to see him again in season 2 if its possible.

im so sad that the show ended.

• Like 5

I'm so curious, so Jae Hyuk ask Joon Ho to fake it pervent account as look like Jae Hyuk send the money to his account right ?

I think Jae Hyuk is not purposely to not mention Joon Ho's name, That time Joon Ho think that Jae Hyuk still does'nt know about his dating. So when Jae Hyuk not mention his name, i see Joon Ho smirk when Jae Hyuk told he's sorry and use his opportunity  to told Jae Hyuk even though actually Jae Hyuk already know that.  

• Like 5

Spoiler
8 hours ago, dubuqueen said:

I moved on before that but after the dating news came out I felt like I could watch the last two episodes :tongue: It was definitely the cherry on top.

im jealous that you are able to watch that  last 2 ep again. i still cant even when their dating news was revealed :bawling:

Edited by stroppyse
Put into spoiler because it's off topic.
  • Like 4

Joon Ho is such a troll lol. how can he reveal his relationship to JH like that. even making that innocent face :lol::lol::lol:. im glad big bro giving the reaction that we want. Hit first, approval later!! 

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

2 hours ago, Pikachu92 said:

I'm so curious, so Jae Hyuk ask Joon Ho to fake it pervent account as look like Jae Hyuk send the money to his account right ?

I think Jae Hyuk is not purposely to not mention Joon Ho's name, That time Joon Ho think that Jae Hyuk still does'nt know about his dating. So when Jae Hyuk not mention his name, i see Joon Ho smirk when Jae Hyuk told he's sorry and use his opportunity  to told Jae Hyuk even though actually Jae Hyuk already know that.  

Yes, Jae Hyuk faked the pervert's personal account to make it look as if the money had transferred in.

Thinking about it, Jae Hyuk probably doesn't have a lot of money now. He hasn't been getting paid his salary from the ball club once he went to prison. And, the trial process itself was probably very expensive, taking a lot of his money.  He probably still has his car and home, but that's not the same as having hundreds of thousands of dollars to give to an extortionist, even if Jae Hyuk had wanted to give him the money to try to make the pervert go away.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

Yes, Jae Hyuk faked the pervert's personal account to make it look as if the money had transferred in.

Thinking about it, Jae Hyuk probably doesn't have a lot of money now. He hasn't been getting paid his salary from the ball club once he went to prison. And, the trial process itself was probably very expensive, taking a lot of his money.  He probably still has his car and home, but that's not the same as having hundreds of thousands of dollars to give to an extortionist, even if Jae Hyuk had wanted to give him the money to try to make the pervert go away.

Yeah , you're right. But who knows, if he's getting expensive contract while he was active as baseball player from his club. So actually he's really have a lot of money. Because he's paying Jailbird mothers surgery, donates his money to prison for saving guy from woodshop, donates baseball equipment to the school and he's okay if don't get contract money from club. I bet he still have alot of money. lol :D:D 

I don't really know how much athlete get paid once they got contract with club or anything, but from what i see most of athlete is have glamour life, have sport car, using branded clothes, etc :D:D

Are the cast doing farewall party like others drama? Hmmmm they don't do press conference, they don't do farewell party as well? I think if they promoting about this drama, the viewers will more than now. They have quite alot of viewers. Because they don't really do promotion so people don't really know about this drama.  :D

• Like 5

A translation of a funny Min Chul scene. This is MC talking about his business ideas as a way of making a living on the outside.

MC: Computer qualification, dry cleaner qualification
Yoo: How many qualifications do you have any way?
JH: Hyung, you got a 700 on the TOEIC?
MC: Yes. I even some a little English.
Dolmani: So, now when you go out, you’ll probably earn a lot of money. You can just pick which job you want to do.
MC: Well, but the thing is, that out of all these things, there isn’t a single thing that I actually know how to do. Even though I have so many qualifications, there isn’t anything that I’ve directly done. They’e all just pieces of paper. Pieces of paper.
Yoo: Hyung, you said you had a lot of ideas for business, didn’t you? You can do that then. What ideas do you have? The business startup expenses, hyung (looking at JH) can cover them. Lend them to him.
JH: I don’t want to. Why should I? (JW and Dolmani look startled) I’ll invest. I’ll invest. (to MC) I’ll invest in hyung’s business. I’ll listen to hyung’s business ideas, and I will 100% invest in them.
MC: Well, they are not as far along as to call them business ideas, but still, do you want to listen to them?

MC: So, instead of lunchboxes, you put the food on a truck and you go and directly make the food for them. Right? You know, the dramas and movies, when they’re shooting, they say that there are a lot of people. But all those people, for lunch, they’re probably just eating lunchboxes. Right? But, if you put the food on a truck and you give them soup and you give them rice and you give them sidedishes, that’s what you do.
Dolmani: Foodtruck?
MC: Wow, that’s a good name. “Foodtruck”. “Foodtruck” is good! Yah, you really know how to come up with a name.
Yoo: Hyung, since that has been around, it’s already been over 10 years.
MC: Is that right?

MC: Ddeokbbeoki. Doing a business selling ddeokbbeoki that the entire country likes, I would be putting myself into it.
JH: How?
MC: I’m going to put my name on it.
Yoo: Hyung’s name…Kim Min Chul Ddeokbbeoki?
MC: Oh, no! My former occupation. I’m putting my background up.
Dolmani: Gangster
MC: Yah! You, you, bastard, aren’t you a genius? Yah, he’s getting it all right, yah!
Yoo: Surely not.
MC: Gangster Ddeokbbeoki! (me - ROFLOL. Even knowing where this was heading, it’s so funny.For those unfamiliar with Seoul, wait for the punch line.) Hm? What do you think of Gangster Ddeokbbeoki? With my image, doesn’t it just exactly match my image? Also, the location, in the place where the most young people hang out…Hongdae! I’ll put it right there.
Yoo: There is already one of those in Hongdae.
MC: (falling down) That’s a lie.
JH: In Hongdae, it’s been quite a while since Gangster Ddeokbbeoki has been there. I have also been there several times with my girlfriend.
MC: Oh, no! Untouchable!
Yoo: “Unbelievable”, hyung.
MC: Is that right?
Yoo: You said you scored 700 on the TOEIC.
MC: Oops.

MC: Okay, this is really the last one now. I wasn’t going to talk about this, but you know that I really like movies a lot, don’t you? (looks over to JH and JW) You two know that I really like movies… (sees them apparently sleeping already) At least you, listen carefully to this, okay?
Dolmani: Yes.
MC: Whenever I watch a movie, I think “ahh, if only the bullet that character shot, if that was in front, if that could just rush towards me, how good it would be”. Huh? As they’re fighting, punching back and forth, you see, punching back and forth, if that, that, in front of my eyes, if it looked as if it was happening just in front of me, how good would it be? How realistic it would seem? I’ve had a lot of thoughts like this.
Yoo: Oh, please. Oh..
MC: The glasses would be magic glasses. They would be magic glasses. If you wear them, then whatever is on the screen, whether it’s a person or animals, a mouse or horse, everything would look as it was coming out. It would feel real! What do you think? Isn’t this just a stupendous idea? But the thing is, whether the technology will be able to handle it. If only the technology was good enough, this would be a really daebak idea. Don’t you think?
Dolmani: Since something like that has been around, it’s been some while.These days, even wind comes out, and water comes out, and even smells come out.
MC: Even wind comes out and water comes out?
Dolmani: Yes
MC: (hits poor Dolmani) Bastard, are you making fun of a person? Don’t play around with me, kid! How could you…?1
Dolmani: I didn’t. They call it 4D, and if you go to the movie theatre, it’s all there.
MC: (hitting Dolmani again) Bastard. Bastard. You bastard, you have to say something that makes sense. What? What? 4…? How dare you tell such lies?
Dolmani: Wah…
MC: What? What? (chases Dolmani down and starts to beat him)

So funny, except poor Dolmani! His reward for faithfully listening to MC until the bitter end is to get smacked around for lying by MC. Poor baby! While they don't spend any time on Dolmani's story really, I hope he has a happy ending as well. I've grown to have a fondness for the Dolmani character who is such a totally physical beast and so unrelentingly faithful. :)

But, MC has been in prison for 22 years, it goes to reason that he has missed a lot of pop culture in the world. Still, foodtrucks, a famous ddeokbbeoki place in the Hongdae neighborhood of Seoul, and 3D movies as his potential business ideas. LOL

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Thanks 5

Another Min Chul scene, this time of his final goodbyes at the prison.

Paeng: Min Chul-sshi, let’s go home.
(JH hugs MC)
JH: When I get out, I’ll contact you immediately.
MC: On the night of your comeback, I’m going to throw a neighborhood party. I’ll be saying that athlete is the greatest athlete in the world. That athlete is a person who should be getting more applauded and even more congratulations. I’m going to call all the neighborhood people together, wishing you well and cheering you on. Our Athlete Kim. Whether you win or lose, I’m going to throw a big party.
JH: Why are you suddenly using formal language, hyung?
MC: A person like me was very lucky to have met a person like Athlete Kim and spent time as hyung-dongsaeng (older brother and little brother). Thank you. It’s because I’m grateful that I’m doing that (speaking formally). For treating me like a hyung, I was extremely grateful all this time. (hugs JH again)
MC: Jung Woo, don’t let go. I’m saying don’t let go of your hope. The retrial will definitely be approved. For the past few months, I’ve prayed fervently to God, that I have nothing more that I could hope for, but instead, that our Captain Yoo Jung Woo, that his injustice be set right. That his retrial absolutely be accepted. I’ve prayed each and every day to God. You’re almost there. You’re almost there, Jung Woo. Just stay strong a little longer. (hugs JW)
(MC approaches Dolmani, rubs his head and pats it a couple of times, before he leaves.)

Paeng: When you get outside, be careful. It’s scary outside. Now that I’ve said it, it sounds funny even to me.
MC: Lieutenant Paeng.
Paeng: What? (MC hugs him) Why are you being like this? Just men together, disgustingly.
MC: Because I like you. In the whole world, I like Lt. Paeng the most.
Paeng: I like my daughter the best.
MC: (chuckles) Me, too. Actually, I like my daughter the best, too.
Paeng: You have a daughter? Min Chul-ssi, you’ve had a daughter? (MC nods) Why didn’t you say something?
MC: Next time when I come for a visit, I’ll tell you all about it.
Paeng: Yes. Not visitations. Now, just come for a visit. Come for a visit, and we’ll have a drink together. Oh, outside, Jean Valjean, that bastard is waiting for you. Also, that female student is here, too. That student, she hasn’t finished writing her thesis yet?
MC: Yes. She says that she’ll have to write for the next 50 years or so.
Paeng: What’s this? Is she a moron?
MC: (putting his hand out) During all that time, I was grateful. I’ll live well now.
Paeng: (shaking his head) Live well. I’ll be cheering you on.

I found this entire scene very touching and moving. The only jarring note for me was that MC didn't have a single word for Dolmani. I know that Dolmani started off as a hard character to like, but it felt wrong that both JH and JW got hugs and sweet words, but Dolmani gets his head rubbed and not even a "Live well" or "Hope you get out" or anything. Given that Dolmani had integrated into Cell 2-6, it felt wrong for the various characters to pay Dolmani little mind as they left. Not sure why it was done that way.

I'll translate the scene with JH's goodbyes as well if I can find the clip, because that scene also reinforced my feelings while watching these touching moments, but Dolmani getting relatively little consideration in the various goodbyes.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

A video of the actors showing up for the afterparty held on the 19th.

27 actors showed up. I've listed the people listed for the video, plus their character names/descriptions.

Jung Min Sung - Dr. Go
Jung Woong In - Officer Paeng
Kim Ki Nam - inmate Choi Hyun Woo
Kang Sung Yoon - Jean Valjean
Lee Young Seok - Elderly lifetime convict who handles the recycling, beats the pervert up instead of JH
Choi Sung Won - Jeombaki - person with a spot
Lee Ho Chul - thug
Lee Hoon Jin - Soji - delivery guy in at the Detention Center
Jung Kyung Ho - Joon Ho
Jung Hae In - Captain Yoo Jung Woo
Choi Yeon Dong - Officer Lee
Kim Ki Moo - rapist inmate
Park Ho San - Kaist
Bae Jin Woong - inmate Jin woong
Ahn Sang Woo - warden
Kim Kyung Nam - Joon Dol
Jung Jae Sung - Professor Myung - scam artist with JH at the detention center who got out when JH didn’t
Joo Seok Tae - pervert
Kim Joon Han - Ji Won, HY’s lover
Ahn Chang Hwan - Dolmani
Kim Han Jong - Han Jong
Im Hwa Young - Jae Hee
Kim Sung Chul - Jailbird
Jung Moon Sung -Cpt. Yoo’s brother
Lee Moo Saeng - Cpt. Yoo’s lawyer
Shin Jae Ha - Kim Min Sung
Park Hyung Soo - Officer Na
Choi Moo Sung - Min Chul

Seems as if Park Hae Soo who was Kim Jae Hyuk and Lee Gyu Hyung who was Han Yang were the only main actors who didn't attend.

• Like 9

Are people still reading this thread? I was thinking of translating the remaining clips from the last episode, but not sure if anyone will be around to read them still, or whether I would just be spamming the thread. :) 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

Are people still reading this thread? I was thinking of translating the remaining clips from the last episode, but not sure if anyone will be around to read them still, or whether I would just be spamming the thread. :) 

Obviously or else I wouldn't reply to you :) but don't stress yourself over doing those translations. Do them if you want to. We are grateful to you either way :* 

• Like 6