Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2017-2018] Prison Playbook (Wise Prison Life) 슬기로운 감빵생활

16 hours ago, stroppyse said:

If this does become a series, I think I'll just have to approach it with an open mind. The subject matter of life in a prison still makes me a bit skittish, despite being a fan of this drama now. :)

Yup. I agree with you. Approach it with an open mind @Pikachu92  :)

This PD churns out solid work and even if they are some similar kdrama tropes, his directing captured and drew out fabulous acting from seasoned actors, rookies and even unknowns!

I know sequels often don’t measure up to its originals but the Answer Me series were all exceptional if I dare say, and despite all the concerns about no original cast or new characters, Answer Me 97, 94 & 88 were all gems. And each series, you have great OTPs who were ship-worthy.  :wub::wub::wub:

Which comes to mind...even though the JeHyuk-Jiho OTP weren’t featured much and the rest of the characters were awesome and engaging, it added a little heat :wink: (C’mon, their kisses were quite swoon-worthy right?) which I enjoyed as a distraction from the prison walls. Along with Joon Ho-Jehee’s subtle romance :wub: too. Anyway, chanced upon this timely short clip in YT, perhaps you might consider checking out In the future. Meanwhile, I might even rewatch them myself. :)

https://youtu.be/kBVpLMyR14E

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, jbying7 said:

Which comes to mind, even though the JeHyuk-Jiho OTP weren’t featured much and the rest of the characters were awesome and engaging, it added a little heat :wink: (C’mon, their kisses were quite swoon-worthy right?) which I enjoyed as a distraction from the prison walls. Along with Joon Ho-Jehee’s subtle romance :wub: too. Anyway, chanced upon this timely short clip in YT, perhaps you might consider checking out In the future. Meanwhile, I might even rewatch them myself. :)

https://youtu.be/kBVpLMyR14E

This clip is actually so cute! The actor who plays Jae Hyuk seems shy in real life as well. Thanks for posting!

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, jbying7 said:

Yup. I agree with you. Approach it with an open mind @Pikachu92  :)

Yeah if there is season 2, maybe i will watch it with open mind later since i like the first one. Because i don't really watching reply series, so i don't know the whole story of them. 

Why I don't really expectation season 2 because when i was full house drama fan, that time i'm really waiting for season 2. And after i watch full house season 2 its really disapointed and so far from expectation. The story and the main cast acting skill is not good as the first one. I don't hope for the same cast though.  

• Like 8

If it were any other show and PD, I would be hesitant about a second season. But here, I am totally open to it because I like all the Reply series; they are similar and yet so different. So I would love to see this environment exploited.

I have been enjoying reading all your posts because I am also crazy about this show. Watching each episode is always a pleasure, despite the sad moments. I always wish the episodes would never end, despite the fact that they are already pretty long. I get attached to each character, but I also like how some change for the worst. Like our dear HY said, no one is in there because they did some volunteer work!!! ha ha...

I find the moments of seriousness and the funny moments to be well balanced. Serious moments are intercut with funny moments so that the mood is always maintained. It also always keeps me on my toes.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, dubuqueen said:

I would like to ask all of you : What kind of scene/s are you wishing for in the final episode?

i don't know what to comments since you guys already say everything i want for this question xD

*trying to find something different*

I want to see Captain Yoo still be friend with hanyang. ahaha xD i just want to see all of them stay friends.

• Like 8

I wasn't sure if there was a subbed episode of this clip, so I went and translated it anyway. This is the short clip that @jbying7 had posted earlier, and is more of an intro to the main character Kim Jae Hyuk , and a little BTS about the actor Park Hae Soo. It's also taking advantage of the fact that it's a production by the team who did the Reply series.

Title: (Wise) Prison Life
caption: “Who are you!” Research into Park Hae Soo

caption: Reply 1997
YYJ: Confirmation
caption: Yoon Yoon Jae (Seo In Guk)

caption: Reply 1994
caption: Chilbongie (Yoo Yeon Seok)
caption: Trash (Jung Woo)

caption: Reply 1988
caption: Kim Jung Hwan (Ryu Jun Yeol)
caption: Choi Taek (Park Bo Gum)

caption: Also, the Reply production’s choice for the new male lead is coming!
caption: Who…are you?
PSH: Hello. In Wise Prison Life, taking on the role of Kim Jae Hyuk, I am actor Park Hae Soo.

caption: Kim Jae Hyuk
caption: Of course, pro baseball fans, but also people who do not like baseball, all know him, the country’s pitcher. In one morning’s incident, he becomes a convict and has to experience prison life.

caption: #Shoulders as wide as the Pacific Ocean #Cast iron form
caption: #startled_sexy
PHS caption: (embarrassed)
PHS: Go away~~
PHS caption: (embarrassed)

PHS: Hello~

PHS: Flower. Flower.
PHS caption: Flower hairpin! Flower hairpin!
caption: The female staff have started to gather around…
PHS: I’m so embarrassed.
PHS: Don’t… make a big deal of it… Please. Please.
Woman: It came out well.
caption: #Shy Shy Shy

Jae Hyuk: A cappuccino for me!
Ji Ho: A cappuccino for me, too!
Jae Hyuk: Cappuccinos - two~
Jae Hyuk caption: (Hey! Pure.)
Man: Cappuccino - two!
Director: Go up to order!
Jae Hyuk caption: (embarrassed embarrassed)
Man: You’re thinking of the old days
caption: #A person from the past
(me: What’s going on is that PHS interpreted the order scene as table service, whereas in a lot of cafes today, the order is made at the counter. So, they’re teasing PHS for being behind the times.)
caption: # A person from the past - a person from the past

caption: (Wise) Prison Life Broadcasts!

I thought this short clip was very cute. Also, Park Hae Soo himself seems like a rather shy and reserved person albeit with a very nice body.

One other note I wanted to make. When the women staff are gathering around to take photos of PHS, his caption says that he's embarrassed. The word they use imply a bashful kind of embarrassment, however. Later, when PHS fluffs a scene because he fails to get up to put his order for cappuccinos in, the captions again say that he's embarrassed, but this time it's more of an apologetic embarrassment. Unfortunately, in English, both kinds of embarrassment are still just called embarrassment. :)

Anyway, hope everyone enjoys the clip.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
  • Thanks 5

7 hours ago, dubuqueen said:

I would like to ask all of you : What kind of scene/s are you wishing for in the final episode?

I WISH for them, ALL OF THEM, Paeng, Joonho, Hanyang, Capt Yoo., Minchul, Kaist ,Jean Valjean and Lawman too, to be present at Je Hyuk first game after his release. that will be awesome and heartwarming. but i feel it will be too cliche  and we didnt even know whether Minchul and Kaist will be release by then.:unsure:

season 2 probably feature a different set of actors...i mean they will not bring back Je Hyuk into prison again, arent they? thats is too much for this guy. but if season 2 happen, i want at least Paeng to come back, he so PRECIOUS! .....and maybe Capt Yoo, in case he's interested to be correctional officer too?^_^

• Like 5

Cute GIFs of "Yuchi-bu/chodingie" Jung Woo & Han Yang tootha_thumb.giflaugh.gif

df4f94ffgy1fndu08vwuxg209e0b4npg.gif

laugh.gifHahahahahahaha I love the above! And the below they really look like kindergarten kiddies laugh.gif

df4f94ffgy1fndu0eun1ng20bw0asu0y.gif

df4f94ffgy1fndu0o6rx2g20bo08jqv8.gif

source: as tagged (too small I can't make out the texts)

• Like 6
  • LOL 7

I love how I'm howling with laughter one moment, nodding and then choked up with emotion the next. 

I didn't think this show could get any better and then they introduced Captain Yoo who is so far a great addition to the cell. Of course it helps that he's easy on the eyes as well. :wink: It's nice to see where these cell mates are now when compared to where they were before. It's great to see them all watching each other back's now. I especially loved what JHyeok said to Capt Yoo when the latter observed that he seemed to be enjoying himself. The response contained a rebuke and an encouragement. Life sucks but we have to live. The situation is far from ideal but make the best of it.

Lt Paeng is such a doll. Belying the grumpy, gruff demeanour is a heart of gold. Yeah, he's a busybody... but one that's welcomed. The inmates know that he's a bit of a pushover.

Hanyang... I didn't know he was capable of being lucid and highly intelligent drug assisted :wink: but wow... he was pretty suave there for a moment.

For a while I have wondered about Joon Ho... how he felt about giving up baseball and watching his friend become a roaring success... and I'm glad the show went into that because I'm sure it must rankle even if he is such a great friend to JHyeok. It was interesting to hear that he was part of an IT start up and bailed early... having regrets there too. Outwardly he's very charming and confident but inwardly he's insecure about where he wants to be in life. It's a realistic arc because there are people who flit from occupation to occupation because they don't quite know what they want to do with themselves.

The prison here is at the very least, a microcosm of society. All the sins, foibles and kindness of humanity are played out here at close quarters. Despite all its toxicity and dysfunctionality, people who have nothing find a way of banding together with like-minded individuals to make a terrible situation bearable. Everyone has their prejudices... the obvious ones and the less obvious ones. But as the flashbacks prove... first impressions aren't the full story.

• Like 9

New vids:

I think it was the last day of shooting today (or perhaps yesterday):

• Like 7

I translated the first of the BTS that @carolinedl posted because I thought it was hilarious. :)

KJH: Hello. This is the practice room.
KJH: Cyborg Dolmani
PHS: is readying his pose

caption: He’s coming C.L.O.S.E.R
caption: (peek-a-boo) (me: I know that this was a set up, but I still laughed.)
Dolmani: Yeah~

KJH: Here. Let’s try doing an interview.
KJH: Hello! Lee Joon Ho-ssi~
LJH: What’s this?
KJH: It’s tvN

(me: JKH's pulling faces into the camera. LOL)

title card: Wise Prison Life

BJ: This is fascinating.
BJ: Hello, all you Wise Prison Life viewers
captions: Wise Prison Life (heart)  viewers (heart)
BJ: I am Bup Ja. And, Kim Sung Chul. And, the chatterbox
caption: Bup Ja/ Kim Sung Chul/ Chatterbox
(note: The name Bup Ja means legal person. I think his character is named that because he is versed so well in the system.)
BJ: This is the dressing room. And, I’m wondering if I should explain some things about the dressing room.
BJ: If we’re talking about these cotton swabs…
caption: He is explaining in depth about the cotton swabs…
BJ: This product is…
caption: He is explaining about the cleansing oil…
caption: cookie…
caption: hairpins
caption: cotton gloves…
BJ: Even though shooting has finished for me for the day, unfortunately, I can’t go home yet.
BJ: What else should I explain for you?
BJ: Ah! I should tell you about this.
BJ: Baby shark ddu lu lu~
BJ: Cutie ddu lu lu~
caption: This is cute, so one more time!
BJ: Baby shark ddu lu lu~
BJ: Cutie ddu lu lu~
BJ: Saying a lot about anything, this has been Bup Ja, Kim Sung Chul.
BJ: Thank you.
BJ: Boo~

title card: Wise Prison Life

HY: So, you have practiced some (imitating Hae Rong), haven’t you?
JH: Yes~ I have practiced a little
JH captions: (In secret)
HY: Yes, Hae Rong…
JH: It’s ’practice’ and “persistence”.
HY: Yes, since practice and persistence will result in success.
caption: Definitely Kim Jae Hyuk! Practice and persistence is success!!
HY: How about trying Hae Rong’s signature phrase~
HY: m - m - m - m~  (note: He’s scaling up with each note)
HY: M~ M~
(JH tries to do the same.)
HY: Okay, from that condition!
HY: If you can do it, then why can’t I do it?
JH: (in Hae Rong voice) If you can do it, then why can’t I do it?
caption: Again! If you can do it, then why can’t I do it?
JH: If you can do it, then why can’t I do it?
JH: Is that right?
JH: I didn’t think I would be this embarrassed…
HY: I do this every day~
HY: I’ve been doing it for 6 months
JH: You’re amazing. Really.
JH: (in HR voice) Car comes~
JH: (in HR voice) The car is coming~
caption: Already mesmerized by speaking in Hae Rong’s voice!
captions: Hello~
HY: The “do” has to be stressed more.
HY: If you can DO it, then why can’t I DO it?
JH: If you can DO it, then why can’t I DO it?
HY: That has to be done a bit more real, more naturally.
JH: If you can DO it, then why can’t I DO it?
HY caption: (complimenting)
HY: That was very good.
caption: Even Hae Rong’s expression, perfect!!
HY: You’re not putting down that banana?
caption: Another phrase: You’re not putting down that banana?
JH: You’re not putting down that banana?
HY: You were good today.
caption: Complimenting his Hae Rong
car: Goodbye
JH: Yes, goodbye~
HY: Go safely~
HY: Yes, our producer has left.
JH: He left.
HY: He’s left.
JH: He’s left.
HY/JH: (in duet Hae Rong voice) He’s left. (me: LOL)
HY/JH: (still in duet HR) He’s gone far away.
HY: Enough.
HY: I am Lee Hyu Kyung with the role of Han Yang.
JH: With the role of Kim Jae Hyuk, I’m Park Hae Soo.
HY: This has been an “Imitate Hae Rong” time.
HY: Thank you!
HY: Bye!
JH: To the many viewers, I ask that you watch until the end!
caption: Until the end Watch. The. Broadcast!

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
  • Thanks 3

watching the last week episode with sub is heaven! 

i like Ji Ho. she maybe younger than everyone in the drama, but she so mature with her thinking. like  boy who confess to her, she rejected him firmly and act maturely with him. no avoiding, just set a proper distance between them.  one more, she lose her scholarship and she worked hard to manage her study with part time job. like Joon Ho said, she has a very well off boyfriend, who i 100% sure will be too willing to help with her financial issues. but no, she wont resort to that way. 

her love for Je hyuk are also incredible. she know him so well that she able to fix his steve blass syndrome with one simple method. and this is why i think Je Hyuk who tries his hardest to push the girl away, unable to do so. she complement him well. 

the girls are not really highlighted here, IT IS A SAUSAGE FEST drama. but this writer tries his/her hard to make sure the girls limited appearance does not look fickle or cheap. the writer treat them with respect. 

one more thing,  i dont know if it intentionally or not, but the team highlighted Cheonju Female Penitentiary in passing in ep 13(jail dates). but it will be cool if they focus on the women prison next season, if it happen. i really want to get to know the woman whose playing with Kaist and Dolmani heart, seeing she never show up for the said dates too. :lol:

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

today done watching ep 13-14 with sub..

and i'm already sad..

bcuz my fav and the only drama at the moment approaching its end!!

:unsure:

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Translation of the preview for episode 15.

Pervert: Where has Athlete Kim Jae Hyuk gone?
Pervert: Kim Jae Hyuk, he’s the athlete that I like the most.
Joon Ho: He’s such a perverted bastard, you have to really be careful. Okay?
Jae Hyuk: I’ll be careful.
Dolmani: He’s coming.
Paeng: They say that everyone has gathered, so let’s go together.
Joon Ho: Looking into it, it seems that Min Chul hasn’t caused a single problem in all that time. So, this time, he really has to be able to leave.
HY: Hyung, as this happens, maybe you’ll get to leave before I do?
Jae Hyuk: Of all the inmates here, he is the one person who has sincerely acknowledged his crime and has repented.
MC: …I beg of you.

All of a sudden, I've become worried about Min Chul. They keep stressing how MC has been such a good convict during his time in prison, how he's never caused trouble, has truly acknowledged his crimes and repented for them. I wonder if all this stressing MC's demeanor till now is a prelude to MC causing some trouble, possibly to protect Jae Hyuk from the pervert, or some other thing, that will mean that he won't get his release after all, but stay in prison. Or even worse, that it leads to MC's death in prison. This is just a feeling that I'm having though. I so hope that MC gets out of prison and is able to live with Jean Valjean. I guess we'll find out shortly.

Can't believe that it's the week of the last episodes already. I'm anticipating the next episodes, but regretting already that they're the final episodes.

4 hours ago, faithinme lara said:

one more thing,  i dont know if it intentionally or not, but the team highlighted Cheonju Female Penitentiary in passing in ep 13(jail dates). but it will be cool if they focus on the women prison next season, if it happen. i really want to get to know the woman whose playing with Kaist and Dolmani heart, seeing she never show up for the said dates too. :lol:

Ohh, that would make a lot of sense if they set the next drama in the series in a female prison instead of a male prison. A whole host of different problems to tackle.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Im rarely post my thought and usually just be a silent reader. Since the drama is going to end, i cant resist to write something.

The only thing that i regret is watching this drama before its finish because a week waiting for a new ep really killing me.Hope for a clean closure for all the characters. I really hope that all 2-6 cellmates will have a better life when they released.

i never doubt this drama will be hit, but still its exceed my expectation on how the prison life being portrayed. I like that while the drama shows that not all prisoners are bad and there always a stories in behind every wrong deeds, but at the same time they keep remind us prison still a place for bad people. Some deserve the sympathy but some also deserve to be lock inside the cell.

In my personal opinion, the productions team background in variety show gives them the advantages in term of observing and understanding the human relationships to produce a story that can touch people's heart. The actors too, i glad that this drama introduce me to many unknown great actors.

Im cant wait for this week episode but at the same time sad because it reach the end...i hope that like reply series, the main cast will be kipnap for the next youth over flowers season. 

• Like 4

Really love episode 13 & 14. It is really getting better towards the end.

I am touched by Han-Yang's words to Jung-Woo: "Ask him to stay with you until the end. Tell him you need him. Tell him you're really, really, really sorry, but that you really need him. Just be honest and say that. I'm sure that's what your brother wants to hear the most"

Argh.. So unbelievable that we are now in the final week.

• Like 8