[Drama 2017-2018] Prison Playbook (Wise Prison Life), 슬기로운 감빵생활

Go Seung Ji

3 hours ago, Impossibility said:

I'm really curious about the character posters. At first I thought the ones in dark lighting were good guys (main characters, the girls are an exception) and the ones in light were bad guys. But then I realize the warden's in dark, but he's not a very good guy. And with the latest betrayal twist....of course, with such meaningful writing, the posters definitely don't express something so black and white, right?

Those were my thoughts as well when I started watching and most of the characters seemed to fit the light vs dark theory but as episodes went on it didn't really work.

I realised there's actually a light and a dark version for all the characters. So I'm thinking they just randomly picked which version to promote and may not actually have a real meaning behind which one was used haha

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's relationship driven. Similar feels of the reply/answer me series with bits of creepy.

You know the formula. There is a goal. While the protagonist struggles, and relates to ppl, you fall in love with a character or three families worth of characters (reply 1988). Since it's a prison, the shades of these guards and criminal. And the hearts on these criminals and guards.

It is potentially the best drama of the year. This production team delivers and established all their actors.

The interactions b/with LJH and his brother, hilarious.

@triplem I didn't even bother to Google who he is and then you mentioned his name, "Jung Hae In," so I Googled him. I DIDN'T EVEN REALIZE HE'S JI EUN TAK'S CHILDHOOD SWEETHEART IN GOBLIN. :lol:  AND THAT HE HAD A CAMEO ON REPLY 1988! :lol: I love him. I hope he's a good kid in real life, and that he succeeds in his acting career.

Is it me or the thread feels a bit empty compare to other on going drama...

anyway.. I just join the Prison Playbook Hype and it got me hook... I just watch episode 5 and it is AWESOME...

It feels like watching a movie, definitely shawshank redemption in Reply feels.

The them is rare in K-drama land, who would have thought we see Prison Life theme K-Drama. 

I just love how we got a lot of character with variety background, their personality and their story how they end up there. 

Nobody is perfect there, everybody have a their flaw and also their own good side. And as far as I know, KJH cell's mates aren't that bad. They all just have a very unfortunate fate, much like KJH.

KMC is a gangster, but he have a really warm heart, beside he never kills anybody.

Dr. Ko took the fall of his company's corruption, which isn't entirely his fault. 

KAIST is a hot temper but somehow nice guy.

Jang BalJang just.. well, he has the least sentence time. 

The Druggie... we haven't really get his story. 

and Captain Yoo.. I bet he also have some interesting story. 

And I do feels like Kim Je Hyuk character is the combination of our Reply boys (Yoon Jae, Trash, Chilbong, Taek and Jung Hwan)

I believe there are more background story about KJH and LJH friendship, why they haven't keep in touch for 10 years. I wish it isn't some ugly story. 

And I hope that LJH and KJH bromance will last until the very end, I don't want to see LJH become a bad guy. Just stay with our Athlete's Kim side.. 

What's with the low number of posts??? Prison Playbook is sooo good. At the moment it's the only drama I'm tuning into, and the only reason why I'm subscribed to Netflix. 

Just watched episode 5 & 6: I'm still not great with remembering names so I'll just nick name them for the time being haha

- So KJH's sister had a huge crush on LJH back in the old days, and it looks like she still has lingering feelings for him. I wonder if this romance will play out, since it's the only romantic line I'm invested in. 

- I'm not sure about whether it's just me but I don't feel the romantic connection between KJH's ex and KJH. It's sweet, but I don't feel anything. I guess I'm just not fond of the "ex's getting back together" storyline, and now that I've mentioned it I don't think I've ever been  interested enough to watch dramas with that concept haha. It could also be the fact that it's difficult to build anything romantic when one is behind bars and one is outside. 

- Another thing is Krystal's acting, it's not terrible but with a huge cast of senior actors and/or new talented actors. When it comes to the female casts KJH's sister steals the show so far, and out of the young male inmates it was Jailbird. So when jailbird left and bread stealer came in to play.... I was really missing Jailbird's character. 

I think after watching so many dramas all these years, my expectations are off the roof. Sometimes it's really easy to pin point who the idol actors are because they tend to act like as if they're following a text book manual, and have this inconsistency to them. Not all idol actors are bad, but it's easy to spot especially in this drama. 

- Rants aside, my favourite character has to be Druggie - he is amazing in so many levels. Now that he's stable thanks to the medication? He's incredibly intelligent and observant of his surroundings. I have to admit though I like his crazy side too, so it looks like we might be getting close to his back story as well. His relationship with KAIST is hilarious as well. 

- It also looks like Captain Yoo might have been framed for the murder of the soldier. I'm glad Jung Hae In is getting more recognised, since he's been acting for a while. I first noticed him in "The three musketeers" - which is a great underrated drama to watch. 

- KJH is one funny character like other's have mentioned he's like a mix of some of the reply male leads. To me he's got Taek naivety and interest in one sport, and Jung Hwan's ability to care for his loved ones in a very Tsundere way. 

2 hours ago, kasjady said:

What's with the low number of posts??? Prison Playbook is sooo good. At the moment it's the only drama I'm tuning into, and the only reason why I'm subscribed to Netflix.

I think it's because it takes a while for subs to come out... So, which countries have it on Netflix? We don't have it in the US...

I watched episode 5 and 6 tonight; I just could not stop. Great episodes...

@kasjady - @Jillia and I are big fans of Joon-Ho and JH's sister. It was so cute in episode 6 when she said he was his dream guy. How playful Joon-Ho became then... Ha ha. They are sooo cute together. (I also like how non predominent it is to the story, just a nice side note)

I also agree that Krystal's acting is not great... Thank god we don't see her much :tongue: I ike her character though so it's really too bad. I don't mind idols acting and some are really good (Junho, Seo In-Guk, Im Si-wan, etc.) but she is not one of them right now.

A few things I liked:

- Min-Chul. I really liked learning more about him. His story made me cry a few times... How his friend was executed and the whole thing around Kim Kwang Seok whom I adore. It also portrayed one of the realities of prison: those prisoners on death row. It was a touching moment, to hear the story of one man who was executed.

- I love those story of redemption but also the ones where people won't change at all; that's indeed how life it is. I kept going back and forth concerning Jean Valjean, it made me sad to see he'll never change but I guess that is more the norm than the exception. Once a crook, always a crook... It was nicely protrayed in any case: no matter how nice people were to him, how touched he let himself be at times, he'll still go back to his old ways.

- Another one that I had mixed feelings about was Captain Yoo. I guess he was indeed framed for sthg he did not do. I cannot wait to see more of him. That plus he is sooo hot! Ha ha!

- Looney was so funny; it was so funny to see that they were right: he is normal when high! Ha ha... I also loved that we got to see his "girlfriend"! That was an awesome twist and kinda cute too. Gosh I really like Lee Kyu-Hyung.

- I am also curious about that guy from the wood workshop who smiles all the time.

- So the dream? Captain Yoo and JH both know they faked it right since they did not take the sleeping pills?! I guess JH really needed an excuse to start again... I really want that to be brought again or sthg. IT was so nice to see them working together to create that dream. Very funny, with the smoke and all.

Some thoughts after watching Episode 5:

I'm really getting seriously attached to the errand boy. Putting on a party hat, and all the shouting. I LOVE IT! Shouting everything from meal time to mail time to water for ramen, and water for coffee, and getting shushed whenever Lt. Paeng is around.

I love Paeng too because he's an ambiguous character with a heart, and it was nice to see that he was the one signing My Way in English. I was laughing the entire time when someone shouted to stop the singing and let them sleep. It's like him being shushed this time, instead of him shushing the errand boy. :lol:

After watching Episode 6

Captain Yoo and the druggie. :heart:

I also understand Je Hyeok's decision here of asking Ji Ho not to come anymore. I feel like if I were in his place, I'd also want to focus on myself. But I don't like the way that kdramas do this thing. It's so cruel and also dishonest. I don't like it when characters just straight up hurt the other person by saying "Don't come anymore," or "I don't want to see you anymore," without explaining everything that's going on and being honest. It's just so unnecessary, in my opinion. It's not a good lesson to teach viewers to be that cold when it could go the other way, such that characters teach viewers to be open and honest, and to avoid hurting other people.

5 hours ago, kasjady said:

o when jailbird left and bread stealer came in to play.... I was really missing Jailbird's character. 

I agree! I miss Jailbird too. I hope we'll get to see more of him, but I think that's kind of selfish on my part since that would mean he'd be sent to the Seobu Penitentiary, and that won't be good for him. :lol: I feel attached to the character so much that I feel like wanting to see more of him would be bad for him since that would mean he'd still be in prison. I should just be happy he's not in the show right? Because that means he's released and living his life with his mother?

2 hours ago, carolinedl said:

I also agree that Krystal's acting is not great... Thank god we don't see her much :tongue: I ike her character though so it's really too bad.

Also, this! I like her character because it seems like she fits Je Hyeok's character. She's a little childish, which suits Je Hyeok's innocent and naive persona, but at the same time, I'm not that invested in her character. I don't know if it's because of her acting or not, although I don't have a particular opinion on Krystal as an actress.

@LyraYoo NICE! Thank you for sharing these quotes. I really like learning stuff like this that could be a good source of inspiration. Love it! :heart:

@lollyminx I was thinking the same thing, I wouldn't want Jailbird to come back to prison even though he was such an enjoyable character :(

TVN  has all of episode 7's snippets on Youtube, I couldn't help myself and saw all  the vids with druggie (I need to call him by a different name ><) on it. The guy that visited him, really was his lover after all. I thought they were going to do a reply 94 on us, but that scene at the cinema confirmed their relationship when they were holding hands. I just hope they don't trick us, and go "Oh it's just bromance".

Also is Jailbird back???? I'm so confused was he let out or was he just transferred previously? - I need to re-watch but the episodes are fairly long. 

i feel really really sad when KMC talking to Paeng everyone who left the prison has never come to see him. i feel very very sad because i think its true.

i don't think Jang BalJang will come to see him anymore. he don't even drop by the restaurant near the prison that he said to KMC he wanted to go, isn't he?. i feel sad for KMC even though he didn't feel that way. this ajusshi is so nice. 

i miss jailbird too.. he is such a nice character, is it possible to see him again in later episode. and i love errand boy's voice. 

**edit

btw, i always know JKH handsome but i never got the flutter feeling when i see him in other drama.. but this drama makes my heart flutter everytime he is in his uniform.. (blame my uniform fetish) and.. i love his hair. this is his best hair.

i realize this writer quite obsess with 'first love', bromance, boyxboy coupling xD

just watch raw video.  spoiler alert.

what a evil soldier... how could he create such lies after killing someone.. is he able sleep at night? can he walk at the hall where kill that poor young man.. 

and welcome back jailbird. he got some loyalty! its gave me some hope! i dont want what KCM said in previous episode be true.. coz that man deserve a loyal friends too.

i think jehyuk is very lucky, because eventhough he need to go to the prison but he met the right person at the right time. all those among him are not so bad. they are kind to him. 

and yes!! why didn't he think about throwing the pitch using his right hand from the start his training? i've been thinking about it since i realize how perfectly fine his right hand is.. er.. i dont know how to explain this.. haha xD its great if he can use both of his hand..

11 hours ago, yoyo_icecube said:

i feel really really sad when KMC talking to Paeng everyone who left the prison has never come to see him. i feel very very sad because i think its true.

3 hours ago, yoyo_icecube said:

i dont want what KCM said in previous episode be true.. coz that man deserve a loyal friends too.

I think (HOPE) Bal Jang is going to be the exception, and that later on he'll visit Min Chul. I'm torn about what he did. On the one hand, (from what I understand) if Bal Jang did not blame Min Chul, then he would not have been released? Was that what happened? It was really a crappy thing to do but I feel like Min Chul understood why Bal Jang did what he did. I just hope Bal Jang truly reforms outside prison and does something good not only for himself but for Min Chul too. I hope we get to see him baking puppies... I mean brownies :lol: or something.

1 hour ago, lollyminx said:

@LyraYoo :lol: I love that Yoo Han Yang has grown attached to Kim Je Hyeok, and keeps on sleeping on his leg.

That time when he was wearing that black leather jacket, and trying to sleep on JH's leg was priceless ><

I'd love to see more back story on HY and his partner, but it's up to the writers if they want to delve in it deeper. Now I'm confused which HY is the original one haha.... was druggie HY, the result of two much drug intake and will cease to exist once it's all out of his system or does he actually have a split personality? haha. 

I also realised both HY and Kaist are musical actors, no wonder they have this special aura around them. I have no idea what this video is about, but it looks like they're already good friends or co-workers with each other. 

Archived