[Drama 2017-2018] Prison Playbook (Wise Prison Life), 슬기로운 감빵생활

Go Seung Ji

Such a rare gem for a drama.  Caught up to Episode 4, and I like how each episode feels like an Aesop's Fable. TvN has impressed me once more, with the editing, script and directing of the drama. 

Here's the gist of what happens in episode 4

Spoiler

The high ranking officers needs to get Je Hyeok for an interview (the prisoner's face will be shown) by the broadcasting station for their prison. So they attempted to make a deal with Je Hyeok- an external hospital consultation for his arm in return for him doing the interview, to which he rejects. Meanwhile there's a singing competition to be held in prison and Professor Go enters the competition upon hearing the winner gets a day off. Some backstory of Professor Go is shown. During carpentry workshop, Je Hyeok got his head hit by a nail-attached wood plank by working group head, and was rushed to an external hospital, where he founds out his arm needs treatment for 2 to 3 years. The singing competition commences; Professor Go got 1st place, but found out the prize didn't include a day off. The high-ranking officers then threatened Professor Go to go for the interview, but Je Hyeok found out and went in Professor Go's place. He then makes a shocking announcement during the interview. Also in this episode is the record breaking 42 kisses by Ji Ho to Je Hyeok during their dating days. 

As much as I'm a fan for spoilers, reading episode reviews if you're intending to watch the episode itself later will probably just spoil all your fun with the twists and turns. So I really don't recommend it unless you're heavily spoiler-addicted. 

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Ruique said:

Such a rare gem for a drama.  Caught up to Episode 4, and I like how each episode feels like an Aesop's Fable. TvN has impressed me once more, with the editing, script and directing of the drama. 

i agree... i like how it seems that themes , events and stories are self contained within the one or two episodes each week, but are left with just enough cliff hanger to make us look forward to the next installment. everyone's acting well in this too, i didnt realise jung woong in was in this series as well! 

23 hours ago, triplem said:

On a final note...I really like this actor ever since I saw him as Prosecutor Yoon in Secret Forest. He is really good as a loony chaebol junkie.

YES! When I saw him on the bus, I was trying to place where I first saw him. I knew I must have liked his other projects,  just didn't know which ones until I remembered Secret Forest. I LOVE the way he played his character then. I couldn't hate him despite what he did.

Coming from my addiction to BTIMFL, watching this series sobered me up. I was trying to get over my BTIFML hangover by watching Mad Dog and Two Cops, but after watching this series, I think it trumps both. I'm now invested.

I :heart: these parts (I only watched the first episode):

"Stupid in life." HAH! I find it so relatable because I'm the same. :D

The opening credits. It feels very new/fresh (in the same way the concept of this show is fresh). If anyone has seen Misfits (a British show), their opening credits have the same vibe. Also, I love the OST! I have it now in my playlist.

I didn't read anything about this series before watching episode 1. I just saw the poster of the different characters and was intrigued. I didn't even know it was created by the ones behind Reply 1988 (which is in my top 3 kdramas of all time). I didn't know what to expect, and I still don't know what's going to happen next. It's such a great thing to not know how will everything will play out. I'm just enjoying watching the show and letting it surprise me (the same way BTIMFL and Reply 1988 did). 

Also, this show reminds me of "The Night Of" (HBO show), not because they're similar but because they're the opposite. I love "The Night Of" but it made me really sad. Although "Prison Playbook" is also about being in prison, I'm so relieved there are light moments in this show to offset the dark images and stories about real life in prison. Jehyeok being stupid at the batting cage, then his cream mustache, the bear police on the poster welcoming prisoners, etc. 

What Jehyeok did for Jailbird really made me cry.

On 05/12/2017 at 6:17 PM, Jillia said:

I have to admit I'm here for more moments between Joon-ho and Je-hee.:wub:

Awww... I just watched the 4th episode and saw what you were referring too. :D

To be honest, I think the show has not found its footing yet. It is sometimes all over the place, but I think it is why this show is charming. I never really know what's going to happen next. I also love the fact that although new characters are being introduced, and we left behind some of the characters when Jehyeok moved, it does not bother me one bit.

I can't wait to know more about everyone's life outside prison and the crimes they committed, like "Orange is the New Black." What I loved about that show is (aside from the strong, female cast) discovering what the inmates did and what their lives were like before going to prison.

On 12/5/2017 at 5:17 PM, Jillia said:

I have to admit I'm here for more moments between Joon-ho and Je-hee.:wub:

Ah, finally I found you for team up. I’m going with Joon-Ho and Je- Hee toooooo. 

I’m melting with the way he comforted her with flower and transferred her brother’s words.

Hope this couple has some more moments...

hooked on Prison. tbh, am here for the drama cos it is PD Shin (me a Reply fan) and cos Uri Sung Appa is in it.

was rather lost with the 1st ep but the unique storyline slowly draws me in. like how it focus on the development of JeHyeok in Prison, for him as a celebrity to live among the common folks and focusing on the human relationships and a "family" without blood ties. the bromance between 2 male leads is heartwarming with JoonHo protecting JeHyeok, JoonHo conveying JeHyeok's feelings to JeHee. there is nothing these 2 brothers would not do for each other. rather than trying to take advantage of his "celebrity" status, JeHyeok's cell mates rallied around to help and protect him. just like when JeHyeok realised the shampoo's owner is a death row convict, looks and background should not make one biased of another person. the seemingly evil has a heart of gold and the seemingly good is plotting a massive revolt.

Prison is like a simmering stew, slowly developing it's flavour. although it can be quite confusing with some "time jump" but the reveal and background add layers to it's story. 

Oh My God, I just started this show two days ago and I LOVE it! It's soo good.

The acting is great; it felt weird at first to have characters come and go (you kinda get attached to them) but now I like that aspect because we get to see different people with various stories.

So looking forward to seeing episode 5 with subs, though they tend to take a while to come...

@triplem Just finished episode 5, and Joon Ho's character look normal to me. I wouldn't be 100% sure that his righteous character wouldn't be compromised in future episodes, but if he does go a bit unorthodox, it would probably be because of Je Hyeok. I have never seen either lead before, but Park Hae Soo's doing such a fine acting of the bottled-up man I'm almost his fan. 

A little selfish wish from me, but I hope the rich chaebol addict never gets released from prison; won't ever get tired of watching his antics.

6 hours ago, triplem said:

@LyraYoo @carolinedl Glad to see you guys here. I’m a little slow as well. I’m using Netflix , so eps 3 & 4 were just released this week.

@triplem!! So happy to see you here and congrats on the mod position :wink: They sure are long but I only realized they were that long on episode 3, ha ha...

I do hope JH and JH's relationship stays the same. I really like their friendship and I cannot imagine bad things happening... I am curious about the past though: why did Joon Ho give up his baseball career so quickly after the accident? Joon Ho is so into Je Hyeok not giving up that I wonder what happened then.

@Ruique I can also see Joon Ho taking some risks and compromising in his morality to help Je Hyeok. I hope it won't be too severe/too much...

I am starting to really like Joon Ho and Je Hyeok's sister together :wink: he he

@triplem Prison Playbook sobered me up when it comes to posting in forums. :lol: BTIMFL had me addicted so much so that I put off watching all the other series I was following and replay episodes until Monday and Tuesday came, and then live stream new episodes, and post my reactions even if I didn't watch the subtitled episodes yet. I joined Soompi because of it. Also, in the First Lifer thread, I felt like it was okay to joke around. :lol:

In this forum, however, doing live updates wouldn't be wise since Prison Playbook is best enjoyed without knowing what's going to happen next. I can't even joke around because I respect the series so much (not that I don't respect BTIMFL). :lol:

With that said, the scene that made me laugh the most is probably the one in which the prison guard keeps on shushing the errand boy who shouts while doing his breakfast rounds.

Re-watching episodes 3 and 4. I'm reminded of this article I came across a few months ago, so fun fact time!

"'Ramen is 'everybody's staple in prison: No matter who you are, you're cooking with ramen,' Alvarez told NPR last year. 'You can use it to barter,' he told us, adding, 'Some people don't like them, some people will never eat them, but they use them — that's their funny money.'

And ramen is also the backbone of some creative prison cooking, from 'dirty ramen' (made with Vienna sausages, green beans and carrots, among other things) to ramen pot roast.'"

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2016/08/26/491236253/ramen-noodles-are-now-the-prison-currency-of-choice

I know this isn't related to the series, but just something to pass the time a little. :lol:

I'm really curious about the character posters. At first I thought the ones in dark lighting were good guys (main characters, the girls are an exception) and the ones in light were bad guys. But then I realize the warden's in dark, but he's not a very good guy. And with the latest betrayal twist....of course, with such meaningful writing, the posters definitely don't express something so black and white, right?

12 hours ago, triplem said:

I am almost done with eps 3  going on to eps 4 but I have to say the drama really got me good in the first 15 or 20 mins of eps 3. I was completely trolled!!  I seriously thought that they were going to do a prison break here 

Same, and I laughed really hard when Jehyeok was all ready with his chopsticks. :lol: They all thought he didn't hear their plan, oh BUT HE DID, and he was ready to eat.

12 hours ago, triplem said:

Also it was so nice to see this young actor whom i have seen in Page Turner and While You Were sleeping.

I agree. I also love that we're going to see the colorblind cop in "While You Were Sleeping." :D I have to say, I only watched that series because of the color blind cop, and this young actor, as well as his friend whose father was wrongly imprisoned.

Archived