What made you first become interested in Korea?

Hiya guys and gals, I've always wondered how people first became interested in Korea and learning Korean. 

After living here in Seoul for seven years, I met a lot of foreigners and always wondered why they moved to Korea. And after asking a lot of people, I found that the vast majority of people became interested in Korea for one reason.

So I created a video called "How did you first become interested in Korea and learning Korean?" (video link)

-----

I'm interested in other people's journey in getting into Korea, so I have two questions:

1. How did you first become interested in Korea and learning Korean? (Like what was your gateway to Korea.)

2. When did you first become interested in Korea?

I'd love to hear peoples' take in either the video itself or comments below.

• 3 weeks later...

My sister was into kdramas for ages and I just tuned it out and got glazed eyes whenever she started talking about it yet AGAIN. I mean, I'd had Korean friends and classmates and even a college roommate from Korea, but I was never drawn to it. Then I was visiting my sister one summer and she forced me to sit down and watch a drama with her. Wow, was I wrong all those years! Thus the Korean addiction began...

What attracted me was 1) really strong storytelling and 2) a lot of cultural things I strongly identified with: love of books, a sense of justice, and strong family and friend values. I loved the landscape I saw and was fascinated by the history that is hundreds/thousands of years older than my own nation, yet something I never learned much about in school. With so much media available in the Korean language, it seemed almost criminal not to learn it. So here I am, hoping someday to watch dramas without needing subtitles, reading large tomes on ancient Joseon, enjoying my Samsung products, pouring over where I would go if I ever got to visit Korea, and generally turning into my sister and driving everyone around me crazy with Korea this-- and Korea that.

• Insightful 1

Hey! To answer your questions:

1. How did you first become interested in Korea and learning Korean? (Like what was your gateway to Korea.)

I remember coming across a reaction video of EXO and their song Growl and that was it. I've been into Kpop ever since! 

I think it developed naturally. I liked Kpop which meant I was watching all these videos so I started to learn the language and the culture and pretty much fell in love. It's an amazing place and I would love love love to visit one day! In fact, I'll be visiting in a couple of months so wish me luck!

• 2 months later...
On 7/10/2017 at 3:27 PM, jangta00 said:

I was introduced to BoA because of her OST for InuYasha that led me to discover KPop and Korean.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Watching dramas and movies, especial from Korea, help me get rid of woes of life. I learn a lot about their culture and fashion, too. Often enjoy them on dailymotion, megahfilmeshd - apknite extension, dramabus.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

For me it was Kpop when I saw TVXQ - Mirotic and SNSD run devil run.... I was amazed that asians can dance so well (yeah It's a stereotype in my country that asians are good in art martials, fight, maths, sciences or anything related to school but not dance or singing) 

So I got interested,  and fell deeper as much I enjoyed watching Kpop Mvs all the time I have free time on Youtube

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had a huge interest in other cultures, growing up, and especially the architecture. I've loved the designs in rural areas, mostly the shrines. That was what got me interested in Korea at the start.

I didn't want to start learning Korean seriously until after I got into kpop, though, and especially after meeting the members of VAV. Ace was trying so hard with his English, it makes me want to learn Korean.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Probably KDramas. I loved their stories. Also, what I loved about them is how they showcase the beautiful places in Korea. It was upon watching those series that made me think that I really want to go there somewhere. also, I think that the fashion is also one of the things that made me interested. I am personally amazed by both men and women dress beautifully on the series.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

About 4 years ago I was taking care of my mum, who was living in Cyprus at the time. The tv stations over there aren't any good and the British ones were playing up because of the internet connection so one of the only options I had to watch uninterrupted tv were Korean dramas. Scarlett Heart Ryeo... I was hooked! Korean dramas opened up a whole new world for me. 

• 6 months later...

I was interested in starting my own business. South Korea has a high-tech industrial economy focused on foreign markets. There are world-renowned corporations operating in the country. I was previously interested in how to start an llc in oklahoma, but since my family decided to immigrate specifically to Korea, I began to learn the specifics of doing business in South Korea.  Of course, without the help of local experts - lawyers, accountants, auditors - it would not be easy at all. One of the main difficulties is the language barrier, business culture and mental differences of South Korean citizens. The adaptation process is quite complicated and takes a long time.

Edited by woffoukigritoi9626

• 2 weeks later...