[Mainland Chinese WebDrama 2018] Legend of Yun Xi 芸汐传

sugarplum892

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, rhaps said:

Regarding LMX, IIRC, the novel Feiye explained to YX that he promised their (Feiye and LMX) teacher to protect LMX until she was 18 years old. He did that because YX was jealous after Feiye saved LMX . I dunno whether Feiye promised the same thing in the drama (perhaps in the future episode?). He considered her as a sister/family, but because of his cold attitude, he didnt seem to care enough to explain it to YX.

That would be other character though, not Baili Ming Xiang :).

Novel BLMX is a very gentle lady and know her boundaries (totally different with the drama version *lol*). She is indeed in love with Feiye and cultivating "Beauty Blood" in her body for totally different reason but she also knows that Feiye is Yunxi's husband and she respects Yunxi. That's why I was a bit taken aback when reading the character description of drama BLMX.

15 hours ago, rhaps said:

I cant help but ask, which part that reminds you to Captain America? *LOL*. The changing-into-powerful-beast part does remind me of Incredible Hulk or Werewolf *LOL*

--Edited--

Oh ok, it should be this part :D ::D

Reveal hidden contents

the experiment to make super soldiers. 

Hey, u're right. If you watch Colorful Bone, actually there is a bit part of the story which is similar, I think

Yes, that's right. :D

Thank you for indulging me a bit of western pop culture reference. But I do love my superheroes and sci-fi. I think I could find more allusions if I try hard enough. :P L of YX is surprisingly sci-fi ish... Heh.

As for Baili MIng Xiang... I think she gets worse... a lot worse. I suppose they had to use her to create all kinds of obstacles for the leads. :P;)

I'll be back later in the day with a few things to say about Episode 20 which I really enjoyed. Fei Ye is a tactical genius. 

7 hours ago, rhaps said:

Regarding BLMX, dunno, up until epi 21, I don't hate her that much since I know how crazily in love she is with Feiye (to the extend of poisoning herself and regularly gives her blood to him, wow .. she must be madly in love ). She also has known him since she was small, and she was also close to his mom, so I guess she has this great expectation of marrying him . But YX got him first. Although I'm also annoyed by her, I understand if she is upset and jealous. Let's see. . perhaps I'll hate her more after more episodes with subs come out

She is beyond pathetic. I actually hate her. I didn't like her before but it turned into hate when she keeps trying to break up my dearly beloved couple. I am affected that much. I know she will not succeed because her efforts are in vain in the first place and not just because the duchess is the daughter of the woman who saved the duke but because he loves her just the way she is. The duchess is charming in her own ways and the general's daughter can't compete and do anything about it. 

57 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Fei Ye is a tactical genius. 

His logic is impressive! He outwits The king.:D

23 hours ago, Table122000 said:

I have been enjoying the drama until episode 18, where all of a sudden we have Ning Jing tying up, gagging, and sexually assaulting Tang Li. I was shocked-even more horrifying is that this disturbing scene was played for laughs. I'm not sure if I want to continue with the drama if there are more scenes of this nature. Was this just a one time thing, or not? 

NJ is childish most of the time but i reckon it's because she's a spoiled daughter. I have to say that i did cringe at the scene and being a brat doesn't justify what she did but since she is a true friend of the duchess i just consider her antics as some additional funny scenes. 

On 7/18/2018 at 8:59 PM, rosierosie said:

That scene was horrifying!!! It looks like she was teasing him, but it was too much. I never see that in a Chinese period drama before. Poor guy was in tears and scared!!! Hopefully there are no more scenes of those.

Yes, I totally agree with you. He was crying and begging her to stop-until she gagged him so he couldn't speak. Horrible! It was very upsetting to see that scene, not only for the awful actions but also because it seemed out of character for Ning Jing at this point in the story. Tang Li had told her that  after he helped his brother, he would return with her to the Academy, which I took to mean he would marry her, so I believed that they had an understanding and were an "engaged couple." She seemed to be secure with his feelings.

@40somethingahjumma  @rhaps  @yueyyo  @anonymouschic  

Thank you for letting me know that this behavior was just a one time thing. What a relief. I am looking forward to catching up with the episodes now. 

13 hours ago, bluesky888 said:

I counted and I think there a total of 4 times that she jump on the prince.

I got the same number counting:D: when she looked up from resting her head on the table pondering how to handle her dilemma with the ED and LFY and saw a drenched Tang Ly and thought he was a ghost and LFY was the first one she came across on her flee from said ghost, when LFY took a note with her tall tales about his activities intended for the ED and she climbed on him trying to get it back from him, when LFY came to rescue her just in the knick of time from being killed in a set-up prison escape, and then the infamous incident when she was drunk and jealously jumped on him to stake her claim in front of BLMX and claiming to the world her intentions towards LFY.   I guess they saved the best for last:D.

23 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Am I the only person that thinks Baili Mingxiang is an embarrassment? 

I think she is obsessed with him and possessed by that obsession.  I found her to be pitiful until her obsession turned fatal to others who stand in her way to her.  You can add Fatal Attraction to your list of movie references that this show has elements of:D.  

22 hours ago, anonymouschic said:

By the way, anyone knows the background song during the 11:42-11:52 scene in episode 19? I

I took a look at that part again to hear the music you are referring to and I got no clue what it was.  It has a nice tune though.  I love the ending credit song.  It's kind of bitter sweet.  It's like a music worm in my head now.  My two year old nephew on the other hand must like the opening song because every time I start an episode on my device he smiles as soon as he hears the opening theme song.

4 hours ago, anonymouschic said:

His logic is impressive! He outwits The king.:D

Well, he does a lot more than that I think. ;) He comes up with quite an elaborate scheme that includes the army and the Ministry of Revenue.

Clearly Fei Ye is miles ahead of everyone else. The Emperor is reasonably intelligent but he's not even in Fei Yue's league. The problem with the emperor is that he is driven by fear and a lot of it comes from hanging around that mother of his for long periods of time. She's a really bad influence in terms of how he thinks about power and how to cling on to it. For them it's about amassing power for themselves and then to use that power to maintain their power. Just consider the way she set fire to the house that the real LFY was living in so as to ensure that her own son has no competition. They've pretty much passed on the same attitude to the two princes... in effect causing them fight each other to the death. The Crown Prince fears that he will lose his position and the Second Prince fears that he'll never get his chance. They're constantly in fear that they'll lose their father's favour so they don't even remember that they have the same father.

Anyhow more can be said about this later.

But back to Episode 20... ;)

The plot to retrieve the Poison Master en route to the palace temple is loads of fun. But what's really fun is what happens in the palace. The emperor invites FY to a game of chess.... while of course the real one is going on in the city streets. The emperor makes his own plans to do a bit of misdirection but FY does his own little number on the emperor. Hitting administrivia at the emperor as a strategy and making it all feel very convincing was rather clever. The man didn't know what hit him. The emperor's exchange with the minister of revenue had me in stitches. It's one of those bureaucratic things that feels so probable that it's hard to imagine it's part of any kind of conspiracy. The best part of it, IMO was getting the emperor to cough up some of his own dosh. Heh. 

It's a shame that YX wasn't in the know at the time. It certainly would have saved her a lot of angst from accusations of duplicity and conspiring with the palace. Of course it was convenient for some to make her villain of the piece. ;) I know the show is trying to throw a sympathetic light on Baili Mingxiang because she's willing to poison herself to death to save FY and you have to wonder if the poison didn't affect her capacity to think. FY is a smart fellow and I imagine he knows what kind of woman he wants. I wish people would stop telling him or at least stop implying that he can do everything else remarkably well but he doesn't know a good woman when he sees one. BLMX made her own choices re: Mei Ren blood but was she expecting him to love her because of it? If she was, it can't be self-sacrifice then... it's more like a transaction. She may not have started thinking in those terms but it's not hard when one starts feeling entitled to cross that line.

There are a number of interesting contrasts and parallels with regards to the palace romance and the one in the Qin manor. Chu Qingge -- Consort Qing goes in as a spy and is a real one in that she does undermine the royal family dynamic among other things. Since I don't much care for them, she's welcomed to cause mayhem there to her heat's content. ;) But she does fall for the emperor because he does genuinely like her (after testing her) and treats her very well. She's smart but she's all about destroying the country. Although YX is installed in the Qin household as a spy, she doesn't really do any real spy stuff even though she gets accused of it. She falls for the prince and he with her as they learn to trust one another. Rather than undermine his household, she starts building bridges and protects their secrets. As the show progresses those contrasts become far more evident.

4 hours ago, Table122000 said:

Yes, I totally agree with you. He was crying and begging her to stop-until she gagged him so he couldn't speak. Horrible! It was very upsetting to see that scene, not only for the awful actions but also because it seemed out of character for Ning Jing at this point in the story. Tang Li had told her that  after he helped his brother, he would return with her to the Academy, which I took to mean he would marry her, so I believed that they had an understanding and were an "engaged couple." She seemed to be secure with his feelings.

The fact that she was probably a bit drunk or somewhat stoned herself might have something to do with it. ;)

Anyway it's always interesting how we all have different perspectives on these things. :) Although I think her whole attitude towards Tang Li was always a bit overboard and her general relentless pursuit of him bordering on obsession, I never felt that he was in much danger. 

On 7/19/2018 at 1:52 PM, anonymouschic said:

By the way, anyone knows the background song during the 11:42-11:52 scene in episode 19? I really like it and i want to hear the whole of it. Please, let me know if anyone knows it. Thank you.

If I'm not mistaken, the BGM is part of a song sung by Lin Siyi (who plays Ningjing's role).

You can check the song below:

32 minutes ago, UnniSarah said:

Hello chingu's 

I have a question  it is about Long Feiye   WHo was his mother????  I am quite confused to who is his biological mom? 

His biological mother was the former Empress of Qin Xi, the previous dynasty before the kingdom fell. He was a Crown Prince of that dynasty.

A little of history background

The Qin Xi dynasty was split into 3 into Tian Ning, Ba Li and Western Qi. Therefore, the task for Tang Li is to unify all 3 to make it a whole Qin Xi again.

@  rhaps

The answer is Yun Xi jumps onto Fei Yue 4 times. The first when she thought that Tang Li was some water ghost, 2nd the snatch of her "spy" notes, the 3rd was when he rescued her from the Royal Uncle's men after escaping from prison and 4th is when she kissed him and dragged him back to the room to make babies.

The Zombie Army was famed because that is how the Qin Xi's founding king took over the lands. Therefore, it was kind of karma that they decided to make use of the Qin Xi's royal family as candidates to become zombie soldiers. The one who suggest the idea in the end lost his own wife who tried to save the zombie child, years later his own daughter married the "creation" he created and in the end "sacrificing" herself to save him. 

On 7/20/2018 at 2:23 PM, yueyyo said:

I took a look at that part again to hear the music you are referring to and I got no clue what it was.  It has a nice tune though.  I love the ending credit song.  It's kind of bitter sweet.  It's like a music worm in my head now.  My two year old nephew on the other hand must like the opening song because every time I start an episode on my device he smiles as soon as he hears the opening theme song.

I do love the ending song especially JJY's version. I found a video with an eng sub and i play it often. Ju Jingyi's voice is relaxing. The opening song is also nice and i can't fault the young man for falling for it. Kiss him for me please.:smile:

On 7/21/2018 at 2:45 AM, cancergirl87 said:

If I'm not mistaken, the BGM is part of a song sung by Lin Siyi (who plays Ningjing's role).

You can check the song below:

Hey! Good day/night! I give equal importance to acting and music because they comprise a big part of the drama's entirety and even if the case here is a bit difficult because i don't understand the lyrics the song is still captivating.Thanks heaps! :heart:

On 7/20/2018 at 4:51 PM, 40somethingahjumma said:

Clearly Fei Ye is miles ahead of everyone else. The Emperor is reasonably intelligent but he's not even in Fei Yue's league.

A big yes to both! Long Fei Ye's mind is as sexy as his body. It's hard not to fall for that kind of charm. It's so disarming. I actually googled the actor but let me tell you that i seldom do that because i am that type of person that separate the actor and the character when viewing dramas but he's an exception. I really like him as the duke. I don't understand the sentiments of some that he's like a block of ice and more but i don't see him that way because that icy personality comes with his title. Pardon these babble. I know that i shouldn't mention them because we are talking about the character and not the actor. :blush:

15 hours ago, Jackie1048 said:

A little of history background

The Qin Xi dynasty was split into 3 into Tian Ning, Ba Li and Western Qi. Therefore, the task for Tang Li is to unify all 3 to make it a whole Qin Xi again.

It would be nice to see TL accomplish that. How i wish we get to see more of his reign. Not to mention the additional reason that his funny scenes with NJ are cute.

The Zombie Army was famed because that is how the Qin Xi's founding king took over the lands. Therefore, it was kind of karma that they decided to make use of the Qin Xi's royal family as candidates to become zombie soldiers. The one who suggest the idea in the end lost his own wife who tried to save the zombie child, years later his own daughter married the "creation" he created and in the end "sacrificing" herself to save him. 

Now it's clearer. That although the duchess loves the duke, her desire to save him is great because of the truth that he is a product of her father's experiment. Thanks!:smiley:

What a great surprise this drama has turned otu to be! I had no expectations for this drama. Idols? Chinese AKB48 stars? Cold male lead? Plucky female heroine? Friendly, goodlooking third lead who doesn't have a chance?  My reaction:  :sleeping: On paper it didn't sound interesting at all.  Frankly, l I'm not even sure how I ended up watching it but so far it's actually turning out to be one of my favourite costume dramas in the last few years.  This might just be an idol web drama but I find it so much more satisfying than any of the recent of the big budget-big name dramas :lol:

I just love the OTP!  Watching their relationship and love develop is so satisfying and hart-fluttering:wub:  Their chemistry is intense and I love both characters.  Yun Xi is a fantastic heroine intelligent, capable, determined,  witty and she is adorable without being cloying or dumb.  She is serious about her vocation and is always thinking things through and practical as @yueyyo  said in an earlier post she is a "heroine sees the forest before the tree" and that's disappointingly rare in dramaland.  

Long Fei Ye has an excellent reason for his coldness, he has a genuinely interesting backstory, he is intelligent, skilled and it's wonderful watching him thaw out and fall in love and see what a loyal and doting husband he is in his own way whilst still attempting to maintain his ice cube persona.  I appreciate that he and Team LFY are intelligent, forward thinking and are not constantly being outwitted by the villains. 

I also really enjoy the supporting characters in Team LFY.  In some dramas I just want to ff through the supporting characters but I actually like cool and loyal Xi Feng, Tang Li who even if he can be a bit of a brat is still useful and loyal member of Team LFY and Ning Jing is the best gal pal and often a voice of reason (apart from when it comes to Tang Li). 

The villains are fleshed-out  suitably loathsome and I'm rooting for Team LFY to outwit them. The whole poison zombie, human experiment plot is actually disturbing and lot more gruesome than I was expecting when I started watching. I still get a bit confused by all the different factions as I'm not great with Palace politics.  The consort Chu Qingge is fascinating because she is so smart and manipulative.  She is quite the anti-heroine and I would love it if she kept playing the Emperor and family against each other for her own ends with no remorse or guilt so I'm a bit disappointed that I saw in an earlier post she is going to fall for the Emperor for real.

On 7/16/2018 at 12:38 AM, 40somethingahjumma said:

The focal point of poisons in these relationship dynamics is a fascinating one. I don't know the last time I actually saw an entire drama devoted to use of poisons. Medical dramas are plentiful to be sure but one where poison is the driving force behind the couple dynamics and the role it plays in politics is certainly more unusual. I would say that because it is mostly a medical drama with palace politics interspersed in it that makes this a must-watch for me.

I totally agree with this.  It's a unique angle and the way the use of poison has been woven into the plot and influences the character dynamics is very well done.

As I'm following the English sub, I am only on episode 24 so I haven't watched all the episodes like some posters.  I hope this drama can maintain its strengths in the second half of the drama and I can keep loving it!

@rhaps

If there is a 2nd and 3rd Prince ... probably dead. The Empress Dowager suspected Royal Consort Xiao of "poisoning" the other royal concubines from producing royal children in order to protect her own's son status. I can assumed that she used the same tactic too. It is because the original Long Fei Yue was sent out of the palace, he could have survive but he did die in that fire incident she ordered.

12 minutes ago, Jackie1048 said:

he could have survive but he did die in that fire incident she ordered.

The real LFY is dead and it's a mystery how the present LFY assumed the identity. I can't wait to watch how it happened but can you please if possible tell us the gist of it?

45 minutes ago, anonymouschic said:

The real LFY is dead and it's a mystery how the present LFY assumed the identity. I can't wait to watch how it happened but can you please if possible tell us the gist of it?

Unfortunately, it is never shown in the drama.

14 hours ago, rhaps said:

One of the things that I like about this series is most of the characters are smart. And it's nice to Feiye-YX are working together and complementing each other. YX is smart and witty and a poison expert, but her cunningness is still beyond Feiye. 

Definitely agree.  It's great he admires and respects her abilities, consults her for her opinion and even facilitates her work.

8 hours ago, Jackie1048 said:

Unfortunately, it is never shown in the drama.

That's a pity we don't see how he assumed LFY's identity.  I'm curious about his feelings for his "mother" and how she will react when she finds out the truth.  She has cared for him for 10 years and she seems to be a very caring and doting mother towards him.  Does he have any feelings for her?  Does he feel guilty for using her or just see her as a means to an end?  Has she ever had any suspicions about him?

5 hours ago, rhaps said:

That was exactly how I felt when I heard about this drama *LOL* . My reaction was also : :sleeping: , but it turned out to be one of my fave costume dramas *LOL* , even with its flaws. 

Hahaha:lol:!  Glad it wasn't just me who wasn't at all interested when they heard about the drama!  I'm so pleased I gave it a chance.  I used to look down on webdramas but I'm finding many Chinese webdramas are just as good or even better than than some of the shows airing on TV.

5 hours ago, rhaps said:

Regarding the supporting character, NJ-TL is actually an interesting pair, although I sometimes got annoyed with her for being too bratty . The thing that I like from her is because she is YX's pal, the one who defends and encourages her. She was the one who complained to Feiye for not accompanying YX to go back home, in epi 15 (although she then shrank back in fear in front of Feiye :P ). I just have to skip her part with TL in epi 18 .

Yes, they are an interesting pair and I like them both a lot.  I wish Tang Li wasn't so critical of Yun Xi but he clearly idolises and loves his big brother and even though he can be bratty and immature he isn't dumb.  Usually characters who are crazy about a guy annoy me  but Ning Jing scenes with TL are pretty amusing EXCEPT that scene in Episode 18 which I found as disturbing as everyone else here.  Aside from her TL obsessions she is a great friend and support to Yun Xi and the number one LFY-YX shipper hahaha:lol:  She also isn't afraid of having her own opinion and I love how she always defends YX against him.

I've been re-watching from epi 1, since I did skip some parts due to my impatience to see what's going on later. I have only rewatched until epi 10, though. Yes, now I remember the scene when YX jumped into Feiye because od Tang Li :P . I need to find some times to continue on rewatching until I reach the last 'jumping scene'.

I'm rewatching too.  That's how I know I really like a drama when I can go back and rewatch episodes!  I will say I have had to rewatch because I initially started watching this on YouTube and (although I am very, very grateful to the kind person translating on Youtube) the English subs were quite confusing so I missed a lot of plot and character points.  Fortunately, I found another site with very good subs and so I've been rewatching the earlier episodes.

I wish someone would translate YX's fake spy notes she wrote about LFY that made him smile. They sound so cute!  I found it so adorable that LFY has kept them in his little personal box as if they were love letters or something and takes them out to read in private :heart:

I did the same :P . The first time I heard about this drama, I noticed that some people were saying that ZZH always got the same charming but boring character, and that made me watched his previous dramas and Yunxi *LOL*. I don't think the characters that he was playing were boring, though. Perhaps because they all seemed too perfect, so some people felt that they were boring. In term of acting, I think the acting was passable. In Yunxi's case, yes he was cold but charming, although sometimes I felt that he looked 'blank' . Still, I like his performance overall. It's actually funny to see Yunxi and Tang Li (and Ning Jing) were running around or being noisy, while he was staying calm and mature  :P , like when Tang Li was going after YX, then she hid behind Feiye *LOL* .

Well, being a duke requires him to act prim and proper all the time and along with that is the poker face that he has to project. The actor's acting may not be excellent but it's just right. Not too much and not too lacking. I am glad i am not the only one who has such a perspective. But you know why i like him? Because his overall performance as a duke to me is good. To portray a character doesn't just require the correct facial expression, presence is very important and he delivered more than that which is not usually the case with actors portraying such a role. And for that, i think ZZH did justice to his role as the duke of qin.

I haven't watched any of the leads previous dramas yet but i will definitely watch their future projects. For him, i can't wait to see Zhao Ge and as for her, Legend of White Snake. But i yearn to see them again in a sequel of this drama because it's not as if there's no more plot available to use or in a different drama. ZZH and JJY have sparks together and as a viewer that is a must for me when watching a drama because good script alone is not enough.;)

1 hour ago, raziela said:

That's a pity we don't see how he assumed LFY's identity.  I'm curious about his feelings for his "mother" and how she will react when she finds out the truth.  She has cared for him for 10 years and she seems to be a very caring and doting mother towards him.  Does he have any feelings for her?  Does he feel guilty for using her or just see her as a means to an end?  Has she ever had any suspicions about him?

I was a bit disappointed when i read the reply that it was not shown in the drama but i hope at least we get to hear an explanation or sort of from the drama in the coming days. Anyway, I have a feeling that the grand imperial consort yi knows about the fate of the real LFY because a mum knows and feels everything. It's bonkers if she is until now unaware, just my thought though, i maybe wrong. Anyway, whether or not the duke is the real LFY, the fact remains that he cares for the 'mum'. That's my observation and basing it until ep 24 so far. I can't list the proof to that claim because i'm running out of time (i have to logout after sending this for errands) so i'll just leave it like that and hope you understand.:)

Archived