Cast:

Ma Yi Li as Luo Zi Jun

Jin Dong as He Han

Yuan Quan as Tang Jing

Lei Jia Yin as Chen Jun Sheng

Zhang Yan Yan as Su Man Su

Vivian Wu as Ms. Wu/Wu Da Niang
Synopsis:

Thirty-seven-year-old Zi Jun leads a peaceful life as a housewife, yet is unaware of the cracks in her marriage. She is taken aback when her husband asks for a divorce and is unsuccessful in her attempts to save their relationship. After an initial period of denial, Zi Jun heads back into the workforce with the help of best friend Tang Jing and her boyfriend He Han. Tang Jing is an independent, career-oriented woman, and the way she deals with He Han’s romantic affections for Zi Jun will also be a major plot point in the drama.

Cr mydramalist

The First Half of My Life 我的前半生 Viki English Subbed Episodes

**Please use spoiler tags for those who have not seen the episodes yet**

[spoiler ]enter your spoiler here without the spaces inside the brackets[ /spoiler]

Preview:

OSTs:

Additional Links:

The First Half of My Life 我的前半生 Viki English Subbed Episodes

The First Half of My Life 我的前半生 Raw Episodes

Jin Dong Official Soompi Thread

• 3 weeks later...

With a lot of wariness I began this drama this past weekend. I like it so far but I was surprised to find out the the male lead is the boyfriend of her best friend. That's really uncomfortable for me. I don't know if I'll be able to watch it to the end but so far I find her divorce story interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing how she'll live going forward.

On 7/24/2017 at 10:14 PM, celebrianna said:

With a lot of wariness I began this drama this past weekend. I like it so far but I was surprised to find out the the male lead is the boyfriend of her best friend. That's really uncomfortable for me. I don't know if I'll be able to watch it to the end but so far I find her divorce story interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing how she'll live going forward.

I was looking at the episodes on youtube and while I cannot understand Mandarin at all it looks like he is interested in her now. I think her best friend found out. I am also not keen on this type of romance.

• sugarplum892 changed the title to [Mainland Chinese Drama 2017] The First Half of My Life 我的前半生
On 7/25/2017 at 3:20 PM, hyall said:

I was looking at the episodes on youtube and while I cannot understand Mandarin at all it looks like he is interested in her now. I think her best friend found out. I am also not keen on this type of romance.

found the episodes with eng sub on youtube in case you're still interested.

btw @celebrianna do you know whats the point of having a plotline for the Japanese restaurant's chef and his "niece"?  I am asking because I am on epi 2 only lol 

I just finished this this drama last week... all in all, I enjoyed the drama for the interesting characters, and liked the inspirational aspect of watching a character growing to be someone so different from who we saw at the beginning... would love to hear the thoughts here on the characters and story :)

17 hours ago, sugarplum892 said:

btw @celebrianna do you know whats the point of having a plotline for the Japanese restaurant's chef and his "niece"?  I am asking because I am on epi 2 only lol 

@sugarplum892 I read an article where the writer was asked this... it didn't seemed like there was any particular intention, other than how she felt how with the charismatic actor playing the chef, someone like 洛洛would definitely fall for him. 

I kind of feel that the chef's character, including how he handled this attraction from someone much younger who is also his close friend's daughter, was probably to contrast against that of He Han's.

I also read a lot of negative reaction to the development of the relationship between the main lead and her best friend's boyfriend...

I don't support being cheating on someone who you have committed to being in a relationship with. But i suppose it would also be irresponsible to stay in a relationship out of loyalty, when you love someone else.... it would be worse had He Han stayed with Tang Jing while loving someone else. I also wondered what else could Zi Jun have done with her feelings, but can only conclude that she probably did the best she could in that situation. You don't just stop loving someone when you want to... at the end of it, I just felt sad for Zi Jun because I loved her friendship with Tang Jing. 

6 hours ago, asthestars said:

I just finished this this drama last week... all in all, I enjoyed the drama for the interesting characters, and liked the inspirational aspect of watching a character growing to be someone so different from who we saw at the beginning... would love to hear the thoughts here on the characters and story :)

@sugarplum892 I read an article where the writer was asked this... it didn't seemed like there was any particular intention, other than how she felt how with the charismatic actor playing the chef, someone like 洛洛would definitely fall for him. 

I kind of feel that the chef's character, including how he handled this attraction from someone much younger who is also his close friend's daughter, was probably to contrast against that of He Han's.

I also read a lot of negative reaction to the development of the relationship between the main lead and her best friend's boyfriend...

Reveal hidden contents

I don't support being cheating on someone who you have committed to being in a relationship with. But i suppose it would also be irresponsible to stay in a relationship out of loyalty, when you love someone else.... it would be worse had He Han stayed with Tang Jing while loving someone else. I also wondered what else could Zi Jun have done with her feelings, but can only conclude that she probably did the best she could in that situation. You don't just stop loving someone when you want to... at the end of it, I just felt sad for Zi Jun because I loved her friendship with Tang Jing. 

thank you for answering! :) 

I am on episode 8 and looking forward to the part when He Han and ZiJun start to develop feelings for each other.  Reason being is that I want to see more 'action' than ZiJun being in a slump not because I support cheating.

I agree with you on the possibly irresponsible part however, I only agree to this when there are no children involved.  If a child or a family of 3+ has already been started, the cheating individual shouldn't be so selfish anymore as to wanting to breakup/divorce.  The cheating individual can't just consider him/herself anymore because, at this state, s/he is already carrying an additional title of 'mom/dad' and not just the single title of a partner/lover.

• 5 months later...

OMG... This.... is a gem!! I'm really proud of recent mainland contemporary dramas. The story, cinematography and acting is awesome. The ending is a bit bittersweet, but it is fitting considering the relationships involved.

8 hours ago, dzareth said:

OMG... This.... is a gem!! I'm really proud of recent mainland contemporary dramas. The story, cinematography and acting is awesome. The ending is a bit bittersweet, but it is fitting considering the relationships involved.

yeah!  I really enjoyed watching this drama as well!

7 hours ago, rosierosie said:

I'm so glad I give this drama a watch. It was so good and I fell in love with JD's character so much. The acting from all the main characters were so great. I want to see part 2!! 

same!  I wish I had a He Han in my life lol! (but not as the bf to my bestie lol)

@sugarplum892, you seem like a huge fan, so can you tell me at which point did He Han began to develop romantic feelings for Luo Yijun? I mean, through her monologue we know when she started to fall for him, but when did he began to fall for her? Because

Spoiler

He Han was suddenly speaking about love (I can't recall him telling Tang Jin that). He was also talking about marriage to Zijun which really surprised me. So I'm trying to figure out when did became intense for him? The earliest scene that I can figure out is when he grabbed her in front of the hotel and she was blabbering that if he keeps helping her, her family will take advantage of his kindness

@angleangie, I suggest you do give this one a try. It is an adult series though, so it isn't going to be cute and pretty like idol drama.

15 hours ago, dzareth said:

@sugarplum892, you seem like a huge fan, so can you tell me at which point did He Han began to develop romantic feelings for Luo Yijun? I mean, through her monologue we know when she started to fall for him, but when did he began to fall for her? Because

Hide contents

He Han was suddenly speaking about love (I can't recall him telling Tang Jin that). He was also talking about marriage to Zijun which really surprised me. So I'm trying to figure out when did became intense for him? The earliest scene that I can figure out is when he grabbed her in front of the hotel and she was blabbering that if he keeps helping her, her family will take advantage of his kindness

@angleangie, I suggest you do give this one a try. It is an adult series though, so it isn't going to be cute and pretty like idol drama.

I watched it last year so I don't remember exactly when he started developing romantic feelings for her.  But I did realize that when he started to not view Zijun's mother as a troublesome woman and even gave the mother a ride to her dance club, this was when he started to have a change of opinion/feeling towards ZiJun and everything related to ZiJun.  Also, when he was leaving ZiJun's new small apartment, he thought he heard ZiJun call out 'He Han!' so that was prob when it could have began.

In a strange way, the story did the ending "right". I basically marathoned ep 1 until 38 during a weekend. Jin Dong fans shouldn't miss this one because he is not dubbed over (real voice) and there are just many beautiful shots of his face. I'll watch this again soon. Slowly... 

someone said(in f***drama.co ) that JD is filming for the 2nd season of 1st half of my life. too bad the original actress for Luo Zijun has been replace with someone else. i dont know how authentic this news, but i hope the new actress can liven up to original actress. i like luo zijun arc from typical housewife to independent single mother who fall in love with her her best friend's fiance. i wish they will be together in the new season. 

for me, Tang Jing is such a independent woman that unable to see herself 2nd best to her partner, which make the crack in her relationship with He Han getting bigger. she want to settle down but she has too many doubt with He Han fidelity to her(which He Han himself are not doing any favor with his cheating rumors( is it rumors or not, it seem really vague to me) and she always seem to think He Han will outdo her in business making it more impossible for them to be at the same level. she's good with her job, but she always think she's not good enough compare to He Han.

I applaud Zi Jun for steeling herself really well against her desire toward He Han. she love him deeply but she also love her BFF, Tang Jing more than anything. it sad that even distancing herself from He Han, with her friendship still broken apart. 

I loved the restraint in this production. I think even He Han only shed  tears once. If this were a Korean melodrama, the men would've shed bucket of tears already (shudders). But I would love to see a Korean or Japan remake.

I heard the original novel where this story began was written in a different era. Post WW2 perhaps? And the first series began with Jizun and Junsheng' love story. The divorce is in the next book and He Han's character isn't very significant. But I think it is a good idea to move it to contemporary times and make in evolving around careers and such

• 4 months later...

I heard that they will produce a continuation of this drama soon but Ma Yili (Luo Zijun) will be replaced by Liu Tao. Can anyone from China confirm? I loved the first season and I adore the original main cast. Although I'm familiar with Liu Tao, I hope Ma can make it for the shoot. I still remember how annoying Zijun was in the first few episodes.

Archived