Quantcast
sugarplum892

[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Story of Yan Xi’s Palace 延禧攻略

@pixiewhy

Hi. High fives fellow QL x YL shipper. Anyway, being on Team QL, you are at the right place since most who commented at this forum are Team QL.

I do like Fuheng. He is all every girls could ever asked for in a first love. Even then, I still find YL's larger than life personality is more suitable for QL. YL and QL are both equals in terms of wits and their dynamic which made their relationship very passionate and tumultuous in the beginning, however once they found common ground and wipe out misunderstanding and suspicion, their bond emerged so strong. Plus, QL x YL are simply funny together. With Fuheng, it was all sweet and cute and that is why I rooted for QL right from the beginning because to me, a couple that could are funny together should stay together. LOL. And I have no doubt that YL has grown to love QL. As WJY herself said, Fuheng is her first love whom she will forever cherished but QL is her husband and she is devoted to him.

I couldn't brain why one could blame QL when he was the one "raped" by Er Qing. My only conclusion is they already have a prejudice against him and this tend to come from people who wear their modern lenses when watching historical dramas. Some values and situation are applicable in both modern and historical settings but some don't. If you wear your modern lenses, ofc any woman will root for the one-woman-virgin Fuheng against the petty-sleeping around QL but hey, he is an emperor. He sleeps and reproduces for reasons but that doesn't mean he doesn't have a heart that loves his favourite woman.

• Like 2

@lyserose

Honestly, I was very lonely watching Yanxi bc all of the comments kept trashing QL so I was just there like 

DkeTc9qXcAAck6j.jpg

11 hours ago, lyserose said:

YL and QL are both equals in terms of wits and their dynamic which made their relationship very passionate and tumultuous in the beginning, however once they found common ground and wipe out misunderstanding and suspicion, their bond emerged so strong. Plus, QL x YL are simply funny together.

That is exactly the reason why i got so invested in them (forget the whole 'enemies to lovers' trope which is pretty popular in many stories) they were always equal intellectually and that was the most fun thing to see. And the fact that they weren't equals because QL allowed them to but because YL herself made them equal.

Spoiler

From 'I was scratching the tree's itch' to 'Must you tell him [that you love him]?' Yingluo always rose her own person to be on par to him and outsmart him.

Yes, they both messed up big time with each other but even they understood (with time) that they have to trust one and another, and when they did ... truly nobody could stop them. They played pranks on each other and know each other so well that 1. QL didnt feel animosity towards Fuheng no longer by the end, 2. YL made QL have a taste of his own medicine with 'wanting attractive eunuchs to be at her palace' bc he was oggling a dancer.

11 hours ago, lyserose said:

My only conclusion is they already have a prejudice against him and this tend to come from people who wear their modern lenses when watching historical dramas

Indeed that is what happened. Many even asks "Why is he so obsessed with YL when he has so many women already?" it was as if many could NOT fanthom QL falling in love (for quite honestly the second time in his life) instead of agreeing to political marriages for his nation. I don't know maybe it was me who didn't mind him being petty (in some cases) because I am petty myself so it was funny too how YL always won on their personal battles even when he was petty.

There was also a lot of talks in the comments of Viki about how 'old' the emperor was and How Very Dare He to look at YL?! It was funny seeing people lie through their teeth calling Nie Yuan 'an ugly old man' and saying how much better Fuheng was like boy didnt literally introduced himself as the 'Not All Men' dude from the 1700s and sided with a rapist bc he Thought that is what YL needed. For me neither man was perfect, one just had more years and experience on political matters than the other.

Anyways, it truly was one heck of a love story ride for me, as someone who loves long political romantic stories like these (War & Peace being quite literally my favorite book) I'm sadden that I won't be able to read the novel since I do not know Chinese. But the show in itself it's a masterpiece and now together in my top 3 with My Mister and Goblin. :lol:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pixiewhy said:

That is exactly the reason why i got so invested in them (forget the whole 'enemies to lovers' trope which is pretty popular in many stories) they were always equal intellectually and that was the most fun thing to see. And the fact that they weren't equals because QL allowed them to but because YL herself made them equal.

When comes to drama, some troupe definitely being recycled. And despite recycling this troupe, the creative writing team in Yanxi made it feels refreshing. It's not really that QL hates her, it's more that he couldn't accept there's a slave who dares to oppose him, thus intrigues him and stemming his interests. I say, this is clever writing. Almost every scenes between YL and QL are funny - be it when she was the misunderstood palace maid to the period when she becomes his woman. They are just adorably funny.

Indeed that is what happened. Many even asks "Why is he so obsessed with YL when he has so many women already?" it was as if many could NOT fanthom QL falling in love (for quite honestly the second time in his life) instead of agreeing to political marriages for his nation. I don't know maybe it was me who didn't mind him being petty (in some cases) because I am petty myself so it was funny too how YL always won on their personal battles even when he was petty.

QL himself recalled the message that his father implanted in him that as emperor, he could pamper his women but not love them. As in the case with YL, he fell in love, and yes for the second time in his life. And come on, he is an emperor. His upbringing shaping him into who he is. He is so used to be flattered, to get everything he wants, thus to me, he is allowed to be petty. 

There was also a lot of talks in the comments of Viki about how 'old' the emperor was and How Very Dare He to look at YL?! It was funny seeing people lie through their teeth calling Nie Yuan 'an ugly old man' and saying how much better Fuheng was like boy didnt literally introduced himself as the 'Not All Men' dude from the 1700s and sided with a rapist bc he Thought that is what YL needed. For me neither man was perfect, one just had more years and experience on political matters than the other.

Historically, Consort Ling whom YL is based on was 16 years younger than QL. Nie Yuan is 12 years older than WJY, thus their castings are perfect. Idc what others think but to me, NY is the most good looking Qing Dynasty's emperor ever and he is visually compatible with WJY. It's not abnormal that older man and younger woman got together, let alone during that period of time. And why the heck comparing NY against Xu Kai whom is 17 years younger than him? That's beyond logic. It's like comparing NY acting skill against Xu Kai, definitely won't make sense. 

But the show in itself it's a masterpiece and now together in my top 3 with My Mister and Goblin. :lol:

My Mister is my ultimate favourite (can tell from my profile pic :-)) but I don't watch Goblin.

This drama made me do so much research on Qianlong Emperor and his harem and it's glad to know that the real Consort Ling was so much loved by QL (in contrast with Ruyi which veered away from history) and her ascension in power was reflected nicely as in Yanxi.

• Like 2

On 2/16/2019 at 1:57 AM, pixiewhy said:

(but I will be commenting on the thread of Hao Lan don't worry @jadecloud!)

lol. But, thank you. :) I will be reading your comments, although I am way behind the regular posters and so I just lurk. ;)  

• Like 1

On 3/8/2019 at 12:12 AM, Fanny Agusbrata said:

Anyone know...in what episode Ying Luo become Ling Fei? Because in the middle episode 49 Ying Luo called Ling Fei. Anyone know when the emperor gave the title Ling Fei for Ying Luo?

Episode 48. It was during the usual gathering of the frozen concubines at Step Empress' Palace (complaining about Qialong's excessive favours on Yingluo) when a maid was sent over to relay Qianlong's decree to promote Yingluo as Consort Ling (Ling Fei). 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lyserose said:

Episode 48. It was during the usual gathering of the frozen concubines at Step Empress' Palace (complaining about Qialong's excessive favours on Yingluo) when a maid was sent over to relay Qianlong's decree to promote Yingluo as Consort Ling (Ling Fei). 

I just watch again episode 48 and that's right...Ying Luo become Ling Fei in that episode. Thank you for the answer :)

• Like 2

I really miss this drama. I was on team QL. I think their personalities suited eachother alot more and they are a blast to watch. Yan Xi Palace and Story of Minglan is the two best historical dramas i've watched in quite a while and i'm a sucker for happy endings :D. I'll probably rewatch this drama soon, but the empress story arc is really hard to watch.

• Like 1

Hi I just finish watching the drama. I am YL and QL shipper. There were times when I hate YL for being so manipulative of QL and angry when she crushed him and tell him she just used him for his revenge.  And I called QL jerk,  old bald man whenever he ignored YL when she was being bullied by palace people. But aren't they adorable together, sometimes  I got butterflies in my stomach watching their scenes. QL is just oozing with charisma. 

• Like 1

If you are in the midst of watching, complete it before it's taken down everywhere. :)