[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Story of Yan Xi’s Palace 延禧攻略

sugarplum892

35 minutes ago, lyserose said:

I kind of suspect she is pregnant with Lu Bu Wei's child. She does not even love Yingren so far.  And tbh.... Yingren is such a boring character, I don't blame Haolan for not falling for him despite how kind he is to her. Every climactic moments coming from interactions between Haolan and Bu Wei and they make a good team too. 

I do want to discuss the drama but as I said, my mandarin is rusty and so I have to rewatch once English subs are out. 

Me too. I suspect the baby is LBW’s too. I think it happened before he went away. So does that mean the future King’s father is LBW? 

I also think Yingren is sooooo boring too and I think HL true love is LBW but due to circumstances she ended with YR. 

hahaha so funny in HL drama the roles are reverse... LBW is more expressive of his feelings  towards HL. And he talked about how YR was born with entitlement while in Yanxi, he had the entitlement and born with the social status . 

2 hours ago, sharonfu18 said:

Me too. I suspect the baby is LBW’s too. I think it happened before he went away. So does that mean the future King’s father is LBW? 

I also think Yingren is sooooo boring too and I think HL true love is LBW but due to circumstances she ended with YR. 

hahaha so funny in HL drama the roles are reverse... LBW is more expressive of his feelings  towards HL. And he talked about how YR was born with entitlement while in Yanxi, he had the entitlement and born with the social status . 

Exactly. My guess is that the baby was conceived the night before he went away (paging @ChloeR That was some intense scene between them... Ehem... Ehem). 

Did she happened to marry Yingren because she thought LBW is dead and she is pregnant? If that's the case, Yingren perhaps know that the child is not his. And a bit lost in translation here.... Yingren have no idea about the romance between Haolan and LBW?  

Seriously speaking, they try to make Yingren's mannerism similar to Fuheng but unlike Fuheng, he doesn't have the kind of charm. He is just plain and dull. 

I do enjoy the parallelism and role reversals in this drama. In Yanxi, it is QL who loves YL more. In here, I find Haolan to be the more invested one. All and all, watching with subs giving me better impression on this drama and I must say I love it so far (though can't match my love for Yanxi) and ofc,  the chemistry between Nie Yuan and WJY didn't dissapoints. 

• LOL 1

The child is actually Yingrens. Yingren and Haolan got married when Lu Bu wei was assassinated and stuck in another state for a while :,(

when Lu Bu Wei returned, it was too late. Haolan was already someones else wife. Which i thought was kinda sad because before Lu bu Wei disappears, Haolan promises him that she will wait for him to safely return to her side. (Qianlong finally got a taste of Fuhengs life lol) 

So the drama didnt make it seems like Lu bu wei gave Haolan away, so I guess there is a possiblity that these two can return back together.

also, I read spoilers on this vietnamese fanpge saying that saying Yingren will have a change of character. He will become more manipulative and greedy when he returns back to his home state and becomes king.

Yingren might treat Haolan really nice but I have a feeling hes not all that innocent and genuine. Who knows he might be the mastermind behind all the plotting. Hence, the saying “silent but deadly”.  

I dont know about y’all but I got all depressed after finding Haolan got pregnant with yingren instead of Lu Bu Wei LOL my ship is sinking like Titantic. Why would they build up chemistry of the two for the first 25 episodes then bombard me with YingrenxHaolan marriage. Despicable lol 

This drama is obviously Yu Zheng’s scheme to make us rewatch Yanxi ( the afterlife of Haolan and Lu Bu Wei). 

2 hours ago, ChloeR said:

The child is actually Yingrens. Yingren and Haolan got married when Lu Bu wei was assassinated and stuck in another state for a while :,(

when Lu Bu Wei returned, it was too late. Haolan was already someones else wife. Which i thought was kinda sad because before Lu bu Wei disappears, Haolan promises him that she will wait for him to safely return to her side. (Qianlong finally got a taste of Fuhengs life lol) 

So the drama didnt make it seems like Lu bu wei gave Haolan away, so I guess there is a possiblity that these two can return back together.

also, I read spoilers on this vietnamese fanpge saying that saying Yingren will have a change of character. He will become more manipulative and greedy when he returns back to his home state and becomes king.

Yingren might treat Haolan really nice but I have a feeling hes not all that innocent and genuine. Who knows he might be the mastermind behind all the plotting. Hence, the saying “silent but deadly”.  

I dont know about y’all but I got all depressed after finding Haolan got pregnant with yingren instead of Lu Bu Wei LOL my ship is sinking like Titantic. Why would they build up chemistry of the two for the first 25 episodes then bombard me with YingrenxHaolan marriage. Despicable lol 

This drama is obviously Yu Zheng’s scheme to make us rewatch Yanxi ( the afterlife of Haolan and Lu Bu Wei). 

I could be wrong (due to my lost in translation and sigh... Depending on this limited mandarin of mine) but I still think the child could be LBW's. I mean... Why did HL agree to marry Yingren easily even when his whole proposal came to save her from being suspected by the Empress? She is quite a schemer, she could probably find other means to get away from being implicated. And when Situ Yue was all out protesting the marriage, HL still calmly went thru it. It's like she needed that marriage for idk... maybe to cover up her pregnancy? 

It breaks my heart to see her wearing the wedding dress (she didn't wear wedding dress when she married QL lol as YL is only a concubine) and marry another man. My heart sinks. Just two episodes before they served us intense chemistry between LBW and HL and then they crushed us. 

I watched some interview clips of Mao Zi Jun and Wu Jin Yan and it occured to me that YR will become a greedy person and most of the time, I could see from LBW's reaction that he was stunned and disagree with YR's action. And from the clip, it seems that he will meet his end in the hands of LBW. 

And HL also doesn't look happy. I wonder if she will ever come to love YR? I saw a still of HL and LBW in an embrace when she is already married to YR. Since in this drama, LBW didn't give her away, I have a feeling she will pursue him after YR's death but then, how will they insert in Lao Ai? 

@lyserose You could also be right and hopefully you are lmao. 

I just thought that the child might be Yingrens because there was never a bed scene btw lu bu wei and haolan. Secondly, from the preview of ep 32, when haolan tells lu bu wei that shes pregnant, he seems really confused and shocked (which i took it as that he never slept with her). And lastly, Yingren and Haolan got a bed scene lol 

but someone on the VN fanpage disputed that the baby could also belong to Lu Bu Wei because during ep 28, mingyue (the female doctor) wanted to tell haolan something and the scene skipped to another scene. This was before yingren and haolan shared a night together. 

I think Ive said this many times before, but I dont know how Qin Huang Di will be able to release Lu Bu wei from death punishment if Lu Bu wei is not his father. Because Lu Bu Wei will be responsible for the death of Yingren (a supposed revenge for his dad). 

Lao Ai could probably take a liking in Haolan or could be a facade for Lu Bu Wei and Haolans relationship. 

This drama makes me sooo confused lmao and it keeps playing with my feelings too

1 hour ago, ChloeR said:

I just thought that the child might be Yingrens because there was never a bed scene btw lu bu wei and haolan. Secondly, from the preview of ep 32, when haolan tells lu bu wei that shes pregnant, he seems really confused and shocked (which i took it as that he never slept with her). And lastly, Yingren and Haolan got a bed scene lol 

I will just consider the bed scene between YR and HL as a camouflage to confuse viewers on who's the baby's daddy LOL. Yes, while there is no bed scene between HL and LBW, I am guessing they did slept together because Situ Yue fell asleep while guarding outside their room LOL. 

And be it that there's a bed scene between YR and HL, the two just don't have chemistry. Sigh.... Why they wasted Nie Yuan at this juncture??? 

You are right. This show is toying with my feelings. Now I understand the heartbreak of YL-Fuheng's shippers LOL. May be I could take it if LBW gifted her away but in this case, she broke her promise to wait for him which is why, I am adamant to believe that there must be a reason why HL decided to go ahead with the marriage. They reconciled before he left, so logically, she won't be marrying YR out of spite but for something else. 

Seriously why would they waste nie yuan and wu jin yan reunion with this plotline. Its so heartwrenching LoL

and why is that we are always deprived of a bedscene btw QLxWYL and LBWxHL. But you are not wrong. Situ Yue did fall asleep outside their bedroom. Seems fishy lol 

but I think Haolan is not that scheming and she wouldnt scheme against Yingren either. So her sleeping with him is probably a sign she has moved on from Lu bu Wei or love both at the same time. I just feel sad for Lu Bu Wei LOL i shall go cry in the corner with all Fuheng lovers.

btw just saw the preview when Haolan is giving birth, she almost die. Now we all know why Yingluo dislikes giving birth haha  

I have skimmed through to Eps 30 (spoiler alert). In previous eps there was a scene  HL had her period after marrying Yingren, but they were sleeping separate bed. When LBW came back, she was supposed to leave with him but decided to stay... she did shared the same bed with  Yingren so maybe the baby is from him. 

What was fhe reason why HL decided to stay with YR? 

Ps: tbh I don’t find this drama as good as Yanxi.. no where close. I am only watching because Yinglou and QL are in it... but I don’t like LBW’s and HL’s characters r as much as I like YL and QL

4 hours ago, sharonfu18 said:

I have skimmed through to Eps 30 (spoiler alert). In previous eps there was a scene  HL had her period after marrying Yingren, but they were sleeping separate bed. When LBW came back, she was supposed to leave with him but decided to stay... she did shared the same bed with  Yingren so maybe the baby is from him. 

What was fhe reason why HL decided to stay with YR? 

Ps: tbh I don’t find this drama as good as Yanxi.. no where close. I am only watching because Yinglou and QL are in it... but I don’t like LBW’s and HL’s characters r as much as I like YL and QL

It's definitely not as good as Yanxi. We should have kept our expectation lower in the first place. As for me, I find this drama is interesting though tbh, my main draw is also the reunion of Nie Yuan and Wu Jin Yan. 

Again, I may sound like a broken record, I got lost in translation. I think HL gave up on LBW because she overheard his words to YR when YR offered LBW to kill him after LBW saved him and Haolan.  She didn't look pleased with what she heard and immediately after that, showing off her affection to her husband in front of LBW. Ever since that moment, she started opening up to YR. 

Well, I must say I am dissapointed with Haolan. I still don't understand why she went ahead to marry YR when she had promised to wait for LBW. As for now, I just hope for LBW to just put aside his love and get what he had worked for.

In term of liking the characters, I don't really like Haolan but I like Lu Bu Wei. He is a flawed man - manipulative, smart with greed and ambition but I must say, the character is in the good hands of Nie Yuan. He just has a way of making a flawed character so endearing, just like what he did with QL. He continues to impressed me. 

hey all,

I too was a yanxi palace big fan and shipped Qianlong x Ying Luo. I therefore really look forward to their reunion in Hao Lan.  While the first few eps of Hao Lan are rather monotonous and uninteresting, I find it getting better day by day. I would say it starts to be exciting from ep 30 onwards. So, for those who give up, do give it another chance. Although I really love Qianlong in Yanxi and also Qianlong x Ying Luo, I cant find myself to adore Lu Bu Wei in Hao Lan. I am unsure why but I also find the chemistry between Lu Bu Wei and Hao Lan to be lacking. On the contrary, I actually like the pairing of Hao Lan and Yiren in Haolan. I think things which spice up even more after everyone returns to Qin state!

Yup it’s hard for me to get super invested in Haolan compared to Yanxi. But I agree with you all, despite the numerous skinship and interaction btw Nie Yuan and Wu Jin yan, its somewhat lacking. 

As of now, im just looking forward the ending. Dont know how Yu Zheng will clean up the controversy btw these three figures. Its kinda funny because in history, Yiren is wearing the green hat (haolan and lu bu weis affair) but the drama reversed it LoL 

Also, I agree with lyserose about not liking Haolan. At first, I thought she was all for attaining power to revenge, but not sure if its just me not being invested and lost in translation but I feel like her initial motive is not there? For Yingluo, Shes determined, she knows what she wants and she doesnt let anything get in her way. As for Haolan, Im still unsure if revenge/power is really her priority. Heck, she changes her heart pretty quickly too. My poor lu bu wei T.T

In term of chemistry... It's actually lacking with both men. While her chemistry with Nie Yuan is not as strong as in Yanxi, she totally has no chemistry with Mao Zi Jun. I read a review where it was mentioned that the lack in chemistry is the result of poor writing where they just threw the actors with no material and forced them to interact with the limited that they had and I agree to that. In fact, I think NY and WJY showcased stronger chemistry in the BTS lol. 

Same as ChloeR... I am looking forward to how it will end. Unlike in history where LBW "reluctantly" gave away Haolan to Yingren, in here she was stolen from him which I think will become his stronger motivation to snatch everything from YR. But again, idk how they will dress up facts on Lao Ai and her two illigitimate children. 

Agree that Haolan is an indecisive character. But i dislike Yingren even more. He is almost as good as nothing. I know that he is a hostage prince but I thought we were given hint that he is a silent predator and at time of distress, I was expecting him to be able to come up with something but he has proven to be useless time and time again. That's why I still prefer LBW. While he is nowhere close to our beloved QL, at least he is smart and resourceful. 

Oh, can I say how much I hate Haolan's lady-in-waiting uniform. Too fancy and non practical to be believable for a palace maid. Gosh, the many ribbons on her hair and headdress really bothering me. 

On 1/12/2019 at 1:46 AM, princesstaiga said:

Can I just say I love this drama? :bawling::heart: I'm currently on episode 65 - only five more to go and I'll be done... What will I do myself after? *sniffles* Also, I'm part of the minority who ships WYL and FH. :-( Had it not been for QL, they would have been together. 

Just finished the drama and totally ship them together  :wub::tears:  Really can’t love the emperor  :crazy:

On 2/2/2019 at 11:30 PM, sharonfu18 said:

Sorry I know this is wrong forum but the Hao Lan forum is soooo quiet and unresponsive 

Hmm... Quiet because drama lovers/posters are discussing the drama elsewhere, including here in the Yanxi thread. :(  I chanced upon it while checking out something about Yanxi. 

So, posters, @lyserose @sharonfu18 @ChloeR @wangnyeo @blessedchild @deslynn88 @EveryoneElse , 

please do discuss a specific drama in the specific thread for the drama. Some of us may not post, for one reason or another, but we sure do lurk. Believe me, there are many lurkers. And, as the drama progresses, there will be even more discussion on it. Cheers :) 

@sugarplum892  @angelangie Sorry mods. Didn't mean to 'crash the party here' :) 

Hello everyone!

This is my first time using this forum (created it because I really wanted to talk about this show and get recs of others too!)

I recently finished Yanxi (I quite literally binged it in a little less than 7 days, somehow both of my eyes still work!) and I had been lurking through this because I really have nobody to talk to about it. Most of my friends hate these kind of dramas so I am reluctant to even mention it.

I loved so many things about the show, I think the intro song is stuck in my head forever. The cinematography was gorgeous, the set design was stunning and the plot was so addicting! I had never watched a show this long but here I am!

My favorite characters were Wei Yingluo and Qianlong/Hongli. I think I am the odd man out here because not many like him (according to the comments on Viki). I loved him even and symphatized with him (way more than with Fuheng, against all odds!). I almost got in a fight while reading the comments on viki to defend him!

Spoiler

They were even blaming him for the "suspected" rape that happened with him and Erqing when he was completely drunk and unable to give consent! Like!

I loved the ending, even though I tried to avoid spoiling myself by episode 44 I got impatient and googled with whom she ends up with.

Spoiler

But I still held my breath until the last ten minutes of the 70th Episode where Yingluo says "You love him so much, why must you say it? The one who says it loses." hinting at the fact she really did fell a little for Qianlong which is what I was afraid of (getting in the Hongli headspace there), since I wanted him to get the love he had for her back too. At least it was a two way street and I don't take constructive criticism so.

The twists and turns of the show were incredible and 85% were unexpected for me so that's good story telling!

Anyways, I hope someone is still on this thread because I would love to talk to people who like Yanxi! I also plan to start watching Hao Lan bc of Nie Yuan and Wu Jin Yan on screen chemistry (but I will be commenting on the thread of Hao Lan don't worry @jadecloud!)

Ps: While lurking I tended to agree on a lot of things with @ChloeR and @lyserose :wub:

• Like 2

@pixiewhy

Hi. High fives fellow QL x YL shipper. Anyway, being on Team QL, you are at the right place since most who commented at this forum are Team QL.

I do like Fuheng. He is all every girls could ever asked for in a first love. Even then, I still find YL's larger than life personality is more suitable for QL. YL and QL are both equals in terms of wits and their dynamic which made their relationship very passionate and tumultuous in the beginning, however once they found common ground and wipe out misunderstanding and suspicion, their bond emerged so strong. Plus, QL x YL are simply funny together. With Fuheng, it was all sweet and cute and that is why I rooted for QL right from the beginning because to me, a couple that could are funny together should stay together. LOL. And I have no doubt that YL has grown to love QL. As WJY herself said, Fuheng is her first love whom she will forever cherished but QL is her husband and she is devoted to him.

I couldn't brain why one could blame QL when he was the one "raped" by Er Qing. My only conclusion is they already have a prejudice against him and this tend to come from people who wear their modern lenses when watching historical dramas. Some values and situation are applicable in both modern and historical settings but some don't. If you wear your modern lenses, ofc any woman will root for the one-woman-virgin Fuheng against the petty-sleeping around QL but hey, he is an emperor. He sleeps and reproduces for reasons but that doesn't mean he doesn't have a heart that loves his favourite woman.

• Like 3

@lyserose

Honestly, I was very lonely watching Yanxi bc all of the comments kept trashing QL so I was just there like 

DkeTc9qXcAAck6j.jpg

11 hours ago, lyserose said:

YL and QL are both equals in terms of wits and their dynamic which made their relationship very passionate and tumultuous in the beginning, however once they found common ground and wipe out misunderstanding and suspicion, their bond emerged so strong. Plus, QL x YL are simply funny together.

That is exactly the reason why i got so invested in them (forget the whole 'enemies to lovers' trope which is pretty popular in many stories) they were always equal intellectually and that was the most fun thing to see. And the fact that they weren't equals because QL allowed them to but because YL herself made them equal.

Spoiler

From 'I was scratching the tree's itch' to 'Must you tell him [that you love him]?' Yingluo always rose her own person to be on par to him and outsmart him.

Yes, they both messed up big time with each other but even they understood (with time) that they have to trust one and another, and when they did ... truly nobody could stop them. They played pranks on each other and know each other so well that 1. QL didnt feel animosity towards Fuheng no longer by the end, 2. YL made QL have a taste of his own medicine with 'wanting attractive eunuchs to be at her palace' bc he was oggling a dancer.

11 hours ago, lyserose said:

My only conclusion is they already have a prejudice against him and this tend to come from people who wear their modern lenses when watching historical dramas

Indeed that is what happened. Many even asks "Why is he so obsessed with YL when he has so many women already?" it was as if many could NOT fanthom QL falling in love (for quite honestly the second time in his life) instead of agreeing to political marriages for his nation. I don't know maybe it was me who didn't mind him being petty (in some cases) because I am petty myself so it was funny too how YL always won on their personal battles even when he was petty.

There was also a lot of talks in the comments of Viki about how 'old' the emperor was and How Very Dare He to look at YL?! It was funny seeing people lie through their teeth calling Nie Yuan 'an ugly old man' and saying how much better Fuheng was like boy didnt literally introduced himself as the 'Not All Men' dude from the 1700s and sided with a rapist bc he Thought that is what YL needed. For me neither man was perfect, one just had more years and experience on political matters than the other.

Anyways, it truly was one heck of a love story ride for me, as someone who loves long political romantic stories like these (War & Peace being quite literally my favorite book) I'm sadden that I won't be able to read the novel since I do not know Chinese. But the show in itself it's a masterpiece and now together in my top 3 with My Mister and Goblin. :lol:

• Like 1