Quantcast
Jump to content
sugarplum892

[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Story of Yan Xi’s Palace 延禧攻略

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, ChloeR said:

I found this clip on Youtube <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9wSWSsmlq0>, Im not sure what the interviewer asked Wu Jin Yan regarding QianlongxYingluo couple, but Wu Jin Yan started to sing the chorus of the song "Little Dimples" by JJ Lin ft. Charlene Choi.

I was wondering if the interviewer ask Wu jin Yan to sing a song that describes the relationship of QianlongxYingluo, if it is then this song is pretty spot on hehe :wub: [PLEASE DO CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG]

Based on my rusty mandarin but with a little help from my bestie.... 

The clip started halfway, so no idea what the interviewer actually asked WJY. Her answer to the question is "that was funny, smile like an aunt". My bestie said "smile like an aunt" is a trending phrase in China which means smile heartily in satisfaction over some sweet/cheesy action/situation. Then she was asked which JJ Lin's song she wish to sing for YL x QL couple and she chose that song. So @ChloeR is right... Its her description of their relationship. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In eps 59, YL told QL why she took the soup to stop her from falling pregnant was because she was afraid of giving birth because of what happened to her mother (noted she was terrified when Fuca was giving birth to 12th prince)... does everyone believe this to be the reason or she just use the excuse? Also when QL asked why didn’t she tell him I think she avoid the question and never answer him... do you think this was accurate interpretation? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ChloeR said:

PS: 

 

Have you guys ever wondered why Qianlong look so shocked/surprised when he is informed of Yingluo's pregnancy? I think its because in the novel, there is a scene where Chenbi drinks the permanent anti-pregnancy medicine to frame Step-empress, but from that incident she also tries to hint Qianlong that she got the herbs from Yanxi Palace (implying that Yingluo continues to take the birth control meds). With that she made Qianlong become suspicious of both  the Step-empress and Yingluo. Thus, upon finding out that Yingluo is 3 months pregnant, he was taken aback for while. Qianlongs so cute. This scene was apparently got edited out too :/

on top of wanting the drama to be subbed, now I wish there was an English translation of the book so I can read it >.< 

 

Thank you @lyserose again for the translations! I love all the scenes where the concubines are jealous of YL, but I especially love it when Consort Shu throws a fit about it because apart from the show ignoring her role in hurting Fuca, her antics are portrayed as funny and not that effective.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow , you guys have been busy lol..... i am half way in ep 18 ...subs only half there...but my icing on the cake is ep 19 that i am waiting for...that episode is full of QL/YL interactions :blush:     as for ep 18...i like at 16 minutes when MY snitched that YL had used the stamp, i like the way QL knows and addresses YL by her name....when he ordered punishment for MY he just said take "her" away ...so nameless , but i notice he always addresses YL  by her name .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spoiler

 

@ChloeR

 

Yes the earlier part, QL' s affection towards the other concubines and consorts can be described as OBLIGATION but his affection  towards YL is his own INTEREST & DESIRE. 

 

After all sleeping with different  women every night is one of an Emperor's duty with intention of producing heirs. 

 

p.s: QL in ep.where he wanted to force YL to sleep with him. His face seriously looks like a lecherous and naughty man lol.

 

_________________

 

I think the reason QL shocked after he was told YL' s pregnancy because:

 

1.QL forgot about he bedded YL at first until  Ye Tianshi told YL pregnant for 3 months then he remembers about the time they slept together 3 months ago first night after YL back to Yanxi.

 

2. Because he thought YL will never wants to carry his child, so he came in surprise to see that YL finally 'willing' to conceive his baby.

 

_________________

 

@lyserose I remember the painting because in ep. 63 (?) QL looks at the painting he drew with YL and reminisce the scene. I feel he is so deeply in love with her when watching the scene. Then Liyu came in to tell him about Yanxi Palace summoned a doctor because someone sick. And I wonder who damaged the zither QL gave to YL? Are the culprit did that because want to let QL think YL hates him? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ wasnt it the step-empress who damaged the zither? 

 

Also, there was a scene when the step-empress ordered Yuan Chun Wang to deliver something to Yangxin Palace. One was Yingluo’s favorite flowers Gardenias and the other was a pouch or was it the zither? Im not sure of her intention. If someone could explain it, that would be great! ^_^

 

 

Additionally, I dont know if anyone notices this but Qianlong is very very obvious in his favoritism. LOL Notice how in the earlier parts, Gao guifei and Chun Guifei never get to sit at the table with the emperor and the empress at banquets. Despite being the same rank as the former two, Yingluo gets to sit at the same table with Qianlong and Step-empress during the trip to Hangzhou. On top of that. She also came late haha xD

  • Like 1
  • LOL 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ChloeR said:

^ wasnt it the step-empress who damaged the zither? 

 

Also, there was a scene when the step-empress ordered Yuan Chun Wang to deliver something to Yangxin Palace. One was Yingluo’s favorite flowers Gardenias and the other was a pouch or was it the zither? Im not sure of her intention. If someone could explain it, that would be great! ^_^

 

 

Additionally, I dont know if anyone notices this but Qianlong is very very obvious in his favoritism. LOL Notice how in the earlier parts, Gao guifei and Chun Guifei never get to sit at the table with the emperor and the empress at banquets. Despite being the same rank as the former two, Yingluo gets to sit at the same table with Qianlong and Step-empress during the trip to Hangzhou. On top of that. She also came late haha xD

 

Yes but why did they send it the zither to QL and QL asked Liyu to throw it? Somehow like the people behind it want to make QL think YL hates him.

 

I also noticed that too. Supposedly she wasn't allow to sit altogether with Emperor and Empress right? Only Empress can in the main table. This scene make YL' s position equally with an Empress. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Cedric Ong I wants to ask you regarding history whenever you're  available.

 

Are there any QL' s decree about Fuca & Ling's death.

 

I read there was a decree QL made for Step Empress when he been told about her death but wonder if there any for Fuca and Ling. Also if you can help find me the accurate QL's decree about SE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These are what i got from baidu, a chinese version of wiki. These are the words/decree/edict from Qianlong upon the death of each woman, with some description of her life, some praises, her death and general funeral instructions.  

 

As u can see, his words for step empress was the least among the 3. He totally skipped praising her char.

 

Pardon me. The words used are quite profound, old way of saying things. I won't be able to translate every word. So i will list key points or parts that i understand. 

 

Fucha

谕礼部。皇后富察氏。德钟勋族。教秉名宗。作配朕躬。二十二年。正位中宫。一十三载。逮事皇考。克尽孝忱。上奉圣母。深蒙慈爱。问安兰殿。极愉婉以承欢。敷化椒涂。佐忧勤而出治。性符坤顺。宫廷肃敬慎之仪。德懋恒贞。图史协贤明之颂。覃宽仁以逮下。崇节俭以禔躬。此宫中府中所习知。亦亿人兆人所共仰者。兹于乾隆十三年三月十一日崩逝。眷惟内佐。久藉赞襄。追念懿规。良深痛悼。宜加称谥。昭茂典于千秋。永著徽音。播遗芬于奕禩。从来知臣者莫如君。知子者莫如父。则知妻者莫如夫。朕昨赋皇后挽诗。有圣慈深忆孝。宫壸尽称贤之句。思惟孝贤二字之嘉名。实该皇后一生之淑德。应谥为孝贤皇后。所有应行典礼。尔部照例奏闻。

 

From a well-respected clan. Became my partner......no of years mentioned as Empress.

Virtuous, filial, obedient, frugal, well-respected (this part is more of description of her char).

Died in...... I feel very pained. I understand my wife well as a husband. Will write poems to her.

I choose Xiao Xian as her name....Xiao=filial, Xian = virtuous.

Give her all of a funeral as an Empress. 

 

Step Empress

皇后自册立以来尚无失德,去年春,朕恭奉皇太后巡幸江浙,正承欢洽庆之时,皇后性忽改常,于皇太后前不能恪守孝道。比至杭州,则举动尤乖正理,迹类疯迷。因令先其回京,在宫调摄。经今一载有余,病势日剧,遂尔庵逝。此实皇后福分浅薄,不能仰承圣母慈眷,长受朕恩礼所致。若论其行事乖违,即予以废黜,亦理所当然,朕仍存其位号,已为格外优容。但饰终典礼不便复循孝贤皇后大事办理。所有丧仪止可照皇贵妃例行。

 

She didn't make any mistake after being an Empress but last spring during out-of-palace journey........her char changed and behaved very unfilial in front of the Empress Dowager. Unrational behavior. Like a mad person. I ordered her back to the palace. After a year, her illness worsened and passed away. Her blessing as an Empress is thin, thus can't be respected as one. My actions towards her is proper considering her mistake. Already merciful to her by keeping her title. But the funeral can't follow an Empress. Only imperial noble consort. 

 

Ling 

命简亲王丰讷亨为正使。协办大学士吏部尚书官保为副使。赍册宝。诣静安庄。赠谥皇贵妃为令懿皇贵妃。册文曰。秩尊九御。崇仪留翚翟之班。礼重三宫。遗媺着苕华之管。惟赞内久钦淑范。象德允符斯饰终用锡嘉名。鸿章克协。聿稽上谥。式阐芳徽。惟皇贵妃魏氏性秉温恭。衷全诚敬。溯承仪于宸掖。珩璜之矩无愆。洊领职于轩宫。图史之箴弥谨。金萱敬奉。承欢嘉衿佩之风。玉叶蕃敷。占吉叶弓禖之喜。饬小心以自毖。撝抑时形。怀内则以长存。庥和宜集。何百龄之未半竟一病之弗瘳。三十年椒壁如新。空余芬烈。廿九日蓂阶初落莫驻春韶。追畴昔之令名。休称犹在。概平生之懿德。节惠加隆。行以光昭。礼惟宜称兹以册宝。谥曰令懿皇贵妃于戏。云軿已杳宫闱空仰夫音尘。瑶检重颁。宝册徒供夫明器念芳规其不沬。难穷诔德之辞。副嘉号以克谐。益切思贤之感。用彰彝典式播徽音。

 

1st few sentences talking about assigning who to handle things. I posthumously named her as Ling Yi Imperial Noble Consort. 

Wow. the 2nd line, almost 90% i don't understand. Ok, her char is gentle and polite (what? that's totally not the Ling we know in this drama, haha), Everyone respect her. 

The rest of the 3rd line i can't translate as well. Seems to be talking about her job (probably handling the palace well). 

Unluckily she passed away from illness, nearly half of a 100 (which is right, she passed at 49). 30years of company like new/fresh (meaning he never tired of her). I now felt so empty. 

The next part i don't understand again. Her life is virtuous and wise.

The rest i think are about some items related to her titles given to her. Probably a reminder that she's worthy of these titles. And her funeral accordingly.

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Cedric Ong said:

These are what i got from baidu, a chinese version of wiki. These are the words/decree/edict from Qianlong upon the death of each woman, with some description of her life, some praises, her death and general funeral instructions.  

 

As u can see, his words for step empress was the least among the 3. He totally skipped praising her char.

 

Pardon me. The words used are quite profound, old way of saying things. I won't be able to translate every word. So i will list key points or parts that i understand. 

 

Fucha

谕礼部。皇后富察氏。德钟勋族。教秉名宗。作配朕躬。二十二年。正位中宫。一十三载。逮事皇考。克尽孝忱。上奉圣母。深蒙慈爱。问安兰殿。极愉婉以承欢。敷化椒涂。佐忧勤而出治。性符坤顺。宫廷肃敬慎之仪。德懋恒贞。图史协贤明之颂。覃宽仁以逮下。崇节俭以禔躬。此宫中府中所习知。亦亿人兆人所共仰者。兹于乾隆十三年三月十一日崩逝。眷惟内佐。久藉赞襄。追念懿规。良深痛悼。宜加称谥。昭茂典于千秋。永著徽音。播遗芬于奕禩。从来知臣者莫如君。知子者莫如父。则知妻者莫如夫。朕昨赋皇后挽诗。有圣慈深忆孝。宫壸尽称贤之句。思惟孝贤二字之嘉名。实该皇后一生之淑德。应谥为孝贤皇后。所有应行典礼。尔部照例奏闻。

 

From a well-respected clan. Became my partner......no of years mentioned as Empress.

Virtuous, filial, obedient, frugal, well-respected (this part is more of description of her char).

Died in...... I feel very pained. I understand my wife well as a husband. Will write poems to her.

I choose Xiao Xian as her name....Xiao=filial, Xian = virtuous.

Give her all of a funeral as an Empress. 

 

Step Empress

皇后自册立以来尚无失德,去年春,朕恭奉皇太后巡幸江浙,正承欢洽庆之时,皇后性忽改常,于皇太后前不能恪守孝道。比至杭州,则举动尤乖正理,迹类疯迷。因令先其回京,在宫调摄。经今一载有余,病势日剧,遂尔庵逝。此实皇后福分浅薄,不能仰承圣母慈眷,长受朕恩礼所致。若论其行事乖违,即予以废黜,亦理所当然,朕仍存其位号,已为格外优容。但饰终典礼不便复循孝贤皇后大事办理。所有丧仪止可照皇贵妃例行。

 

She didn't make any mistake after being an Empress but last spring during out-of-palace journey........her char changed and behaved very unfilial in front of the Empress Dowager. Unrational behavior. Like a mad person. I ordered her back to the palace. After a year, her illness worsened and passed away. Her blessing as an Empress is thin, thus can't be respected as one. My actions towards her is proper considering her mistake. Already merciful to her by keeping her title. But the funeral can't follow an Empress. Only imperial noble consort. 

 

Ling 

命简亲王丰讷亨为正使。协办大学士吏部尚书官保为副使。赍册宝。诣静安庄。赠谥皇贵妃为令懿皇贵妃。册文曰。秩尊九御。崇仪留翚翟之班。礼重三宫。遗媺着苕华之管。惟赞内久钦淑范。象德允符斯饰终用锡嘉名。鸿章克协。聿稽上谥。式阐芳徽。惟皇贵妃魏氏性秉温恭。衷全诚敬。溯承仪于宸掖。珩璜之矩无愆。洊领职于轩宫。图史之箴弥谨。金萱敬奉。承欢嘉衿佩之风。玉叶蕃敷。占吉叶弓禖之喜。饬小心以自毖。撝抑时形。怀内则以长存。庥和宜集。何百龄之未半竟一病之弗瘳。三十年椒壁如新。空余芬烈。廿九日蓂阶初落莫驻春韶。追畴昔之令名。休称犹在。概平生之懿德。节惠加隆。行以光昭。礼惟宜称兹以册宝。谥曰令懿皇贵妃于戏。云軿已杳宫闱空仰夫音尘。瑶检重颁。宝册徒供夫明器念芳规其不沬。难穷诔德之辞。副嘉号以克谐。益切思贤之感。用彰彝典式播徽音。

 

1st few sentences talking about assigning who to handle things. I posthumously named her as Ling Yi Imperial Noble Consort. 

Wow. the 2nd line, almost 90% i don't understand. Ok, her char is gentle and polite (what? that's totally not the Ling we know in this drama, haha), Everyone respect her. 

The rest of the 3rd line i can't translate as well. Seems to be talking about her job (probably handling the palace well). 

Unluckily she passed away from illness, nearly half of a 100 (which is right, she passed at 49). 30years of company like new/fresh (meaning he never tired of her). I now felt so empty. 

The next part i don't understand again. Her life is virtuous and wise.

The rest i think are about some items related to her titles given to her. Probably a reminder that she's worthy of these titles. And her funeral accordingly.

 

 

 

Thank you for this information. Although you've been busy but still helping me to find this info.

__________

 

Fuca

 

This line "I understand my wife well as a husband.....and I feel very pained".... He referred to himself as a husband to Fuca instead of an Emperor/Empress. Seems like his marriage/ relationship with Fuca is the most perfect and happiest among all. 

 

Step Empress 

 

Even after her death, QL still not forgive her. When I read the decree I don't feel he had grudge or angry at SE anymore but just a simply plain and empty decree without any feels. Only to justified his action on SE before her death. QL seems is a very forgiven person, he even forgave the officer who requested a proper funeral for SE later and when the officer tried again, then executed him. I always thought if you deeply love someone, no matter how much you hates and despise the person once you love, at the end even after so many years you will remember about the sweet memories that once you had.esp when the person already dead. I guess QL probably had no love for her....because whether you exist or not is still the same and doesn't matter to him.

 

Ling

 

Gentle and polite. Haha totally different as what we have seen in drama. I used Google translate for some of her article keep on mentioned soft..now I know why. She been described as a gentle person by QL.

 

This line "30 years of company feel like new/fresh (meaning like never tired of her).. I now feel empty. I feel like she is second love of QL. For 30 years still feel like new to him wow....and now I understand why he didn't let any of his concubines to be buried in the main tomb after Ling. He seems like no one he feel deserved and suitable to be in there. 

 

QL explained about the titles given to her probably wants to clarified that she deserved it esp when he wanted to put her next to him in the main tomb. This is to avoid any objection since Ling well known came from lowly Han background and started from as lady in waiting. His long decree about Ling, her char, titles etc explained all.

 

*another question. Is it true her funeral was described like this? 

 

"On the day of her death, Emperor Qianlong ordered almost all the emperors and grandchildren to wear filial piety, adding eighteen to seventy-six of her original ceremonies, only one less than the empress’s.

_____________

 

Btw thank u again for taking time finding this info for me.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, harooxxx said:

Fuca

 

This line "I understand my wife well as a husband".... He refer himself as a husband to Fuca instead of an Emperor/Empress. Seems like his marriage/ relationship with Fuca is the most perfect and happiest among all. 

He referred to himself as her husband is because Fuca is indeed his only legally wedded wife. The rest are just his concubines. Remember a scene where YL weeping over MY's death? She said to Fuheng she felt guilty pushing MY to wed and wear that red wedding dress because she couldn't wear it in this lifetime (even when she is already "married" to QL).

 

26 minutes ago, harooxxx said:

Ling

 

Gentle and polite. Haha totally different as what we have seen in drama. I used Google translate for some of her article keep on mentioned soft..now I know why. She been described as a gentle person by QL.

 

This line "30 years of company feel like new/fresh (meaning like never tired of her) now feel empty. I feel like she is second love of QL. For 30 years still feel like new to him wow....and now I understand why he didn't let any of his concubines to be buried in the main tomb after Ling. He seems like no one he feel deserved and suitable to be in there.

 

QL explained about the titles given to her probably wants to clarified that she deserved it esp when he wanted to put her next to him in the main tomb. This is to avoid any objection since Ling well known came from lowly Han background and started from as lady in waiting.

I read somewhere that if Ling was to behave like YL in Yanxi, she would have long been beheaded. Lol. Nevertheless, a spunky, smart heroine is always the most beloved to modern viewers. Haha. 

 

Speaking of Ling, the drama Yanxi considerably quite close in depicting their relationship of 30years and still feel like new. And gifted her the posthumous title and stamping "Chun" is him already considering her as his proper wife (though not mentioned in the decree). And I agree with the actor Nie Yuan said about QL, YL is always in his heart but since he is an emperor, all he could do is giving her endless favours. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you cedric Ong for the information. I think I especially enjoyed the Story of Yanxi is because I can relate it to history, and it made me feel as if the lovestory btw Qianlong and Consort Ling actually exists (to an extent) lol 

 

It was empress fuca’s hope that she will be able to send Yingluo off in a red dress and host a grand wedding for her, but that didnt happen. Since, Yingluo ended up being Qianlongs concubine. So Yingluo poured all her hope onto Mingyu, but sadly that didnt work out either. The part where Yingluo told Fuheng that in this lifetime she will never be able to get  the chance to wear a red dress, you can see a hint of guilt on Fuhengs face. For some weird reason, I really wanted Qianlong to overhear this conversation. I dont know for what reason but i really wanted him too lol 

 

In episode 37, when Qianlong attempted to force Yingluo to sleep with him. Do you guys think that if Yingluo didnt counterattack, would Qianlong really bedded her? Or was he just testing her? Because somehow that whole scene feels out of character for him. 

 

Also during that scene, Qianlong said so many things that came back to bite him in the latter part of the drama haha 

 

1. Qianlong said he was getting bored of all the women in his harem being all soft-spoken and obedient. He finds Yingluo’s headstrong, stubborn and trouble-making personality rather interesting. It was later after she became his concubine that he keeps on complaining that unlike his other concubines who obeyed his every words, Yingluo only knows how to make him mad lol

 

2. Towards the end, qianlong told Yingluo that he doesnt like scheming woman and told her to stop dreaming about becoming his woman. It was especially funny to listen to that because around ep 44/45 when Yingluo asked if he likes her, he admitted that he still likes bad and scheming woman like her the most xD

 

How contradictory of him Haha He also said that the more she is unwilling the more he wants to have her. I guess we all know why Yingluo refuses to confess her feelings for him in the years followed so that she can have him all wrapped around her finger :) Wonder if Yingluo ever teased Qianlong about his words especially that one time when he was drunk and barged into empress fuca's quarter and funnily told Yingluo that with "her face she will  have to stay single forever and that he would have to sponsor her for the rest of her life", which he did :rolleyes::phew:

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Spoiler
Spoiler

 

 

 

Hi everyone. 
I am new here and have been reading up everyone's input this week. I am so glad to that stumbled upon this forum and awesome discussion between everyone. It really helps me understand the plot and characters in this gripping period drama. I have never watched any Chinese period drama, especially those made by China production companies, and when my friends around me recommended Story of Yanxi Palace, my curiosity was piqued. Finished the series in 2 weeks and currently rewatching again to understand some bits that were lost on me.

 

Could you help me with this scene in Episode 63 when WYL received this handkerchief that  a dried up flower by her eunuch Xiao Quan Zi whom I had thought to really betrayed her while she was kept imprisoned in her Yanxi Palace with only a bowl of clear rice water each day as instructed by that idiotic YCW. I think that is the dried up gardenia flower that she like, like the one that was to be sent to QL by the Step Empress but intercepted by Consort Shun/Chen Bi).

 

What is the significance of this act? Cos WYL smiled to herself after unwrapping the handkerchief and saw the flower.

 

Did she know by then she was pregnant? 

 

This scene I still don't understand. Many thanks to anyone who can help explain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, lyserose said:

He referred to himself as her husband is because Fuca is indeed his only legally wedded wife. The rest are just his concubines. Remember a scene where YL weeping over MY's death? She said to Fuheng she felt guilty pushing MY to wed and wear that red wedding dress because she couldn't wear it in this lifetime (even when she is already "married" to QL).

 

I read somewhere that if Ling was to behave like YL in Yanxi, she would have long been beheaded. Lol. Nevertheless, a spunky, smart heroine is always the most beloved to modern viewers. Haha. 

 

Speaking of Ling, the drama Yanxi considerably quite close in depicting their relationship of 30years and still feel like new. And gifted her the posthumous title and stamping "Chun" is him already considering her as his proper wife (though not mentioned in the decree). And I agree with the actor Nie Yuan said about QL, YL is always in his heart but since he is an emperor, all he could do is giving her endless favours. 

 

Ooh. I thought he regards their relationship like husband/wife instead of Emperor/Empress because he's only feel that way with Fuca. After all I feel their relationship is wonderful. QL is always have a soft spot for Fuca. One thing funny for me when he said he will write poems for her. Its feel like an obligation for him. It's unnecessary to mentioned  it actually. Since I always feel that if you really wants to do something for the one you love, there is no need to tell other in advance.

 

 

Haha I know this type of heroine like in Yanxi is the one viewers wants to watch nowadays. It's quite fresh for Yanxi actually when they changed the stereotype period drama heroine to be more modern type. Yes, she could beheaded and there is no way an Emperor will fall in love because you are different from other.@)hahaha

 

For me, I feel amazed when he described his relationship with Ling still fresh and new even after 30 years living together esp since he has so many women in his palace. Their relationship probably filled with adventures lmao.  (meaning he is always discovered new interesting things about Ling throughout their life together). He even mentioned her life nearly half of a 100 (about she died at 49), I know but somehow when he said this means he appreciated every single moment they've been together. 

 

In interview, Nie Yuan said Fuca is QL's first love but YL is his true love.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, housetangaryen said:

 

  Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

 

 

 

Hi everyone. 
I am new here and have been reading up everyone's input this week. I am so glad to that stumbled upon this forum and awesome discussion between everyone. It really helps me understand the plot and characters in this gripping period drama. I have never watched any Chinese period drama, especially those made by China production companies, and when my friends around me recommended Story of Yanxi Palace, my curiosity was piqued. Finished the series in 2 weeks and currently rewatching again to understand some bits that were lost on me.

 

Could you help me with this scene in Episode 63 when WYL received this handkerchief that  a dried up flower by her eunuch Xiao Quan Zi whom I had thought to really betrayed her while she was kept imprisoned in her Yanxi Palace with only a bowl of clear rice water each day as instructed by that idiotic YCW. I think that is the dried up gardenia flower that she like, like the one that was to be sent to QL by the Step Empress but intercepted by Consort Shun/Chen Bi).

 

What is the significance of this act? Cos WYL smiled to herself after unwrapping the handkerchief and saw the flower.

 

Did she know by then she was pregnant? 

 

This scene I still don't understand. Many thanks to anyone who can help explain

 

Was it a dried up flower? LOL this whole time I thought it was meat that Xiao Quan Zi stole from the kitchen and brought it to Yingluo (considering how she has been starved by Yuan Chun Wang). 

 

In episode 64, she confessed to Qianlong that she only knew she's with a baby when she got locked up in Yanxi Palace. So, I presumed that she probably knew then that she's pregnant (which I think is the major reason why she didnt even have to think twice about Chenbi's proposal for elopement with Fuheng). 

 

There was a scene that didnt make the final cut which confirms Yingluo's knowledge of her pregnancy. It should be in ep 62 when she was locked up in Yanxi Palace, Yuan Chun Wang came to harass her. While Yingluo was resting on the bed, he grabbed her hair and dragged her to the ground. While he did this, Yingluo used both of her hand to protect her stomach from hitting the floor. Thus, her actions show that she knew of her pregnancy and wanted to protect her baby from possible miscarriage. 

 

I think the only issue I had with this whole thing is the way Yingluo portrayed her pregnancy symptoms similar to tuberculosis lol I literally thought she had coughing illness up until ep 64 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, harooxxx said:

 

Ooh. I thought he regards their relationship like husband/wife instead of Emperor/Empress because he's only feel that way with Fuca. After all I feel their relationship is wonderful. QL is always have a soft spot for Fuca. One thing funny for me when he said he will write poems for her. Its feel like an obligation for him. It's unnecessary to mentioned  it actually. Since I always feel that if you really wants to do something for the one you love, there is no need to tell other in advance.

 

朕昨赋皇后挽诗

I might have translated incorrectly.

If word by word, it said "I (using the emperor's term for I/myself) yesterday wrote to Empress a poem". So it could simply mean something he just did. It's a small detail but probably as an extension of his grief.

 

***************

 

What Xiao Quan Zi gave her....is not flower...it's dried meat or meat jerky. Else she would starve to death.

It has to be something small and can keep for a few days.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @Cedric Ong you are great, appreciate the decree update, but the Chinese seems too deep for understanding :)

 

I want to share a long post. I have to apologies in advance but somehow this drama just interest me to research more.

 

Well just wanted to share this youtube post, not sure if it has been shared before. It is about QL 3 empress. The last part is on how QL actually raise Ling Fei from a humble servant all the way to Imperial Noble Consort. Note here is that, she is not only a servant but of Han blood. So the position she was elevated is really amazing.   After watching this clip, somehow I can relate the word Ling other than being smart also means understanding, which from the drama, YL despite all her mischievous deeds and antics, do understand QL.  Also in this clip, it was noted even when Ling Fei was promoted as Ling Ping - QL actually made her the highest rank of all the Ping Fei despite her lowly position.

I actually watch another video earlier but I could not find it any longer, that clip, the historians actually mentioned that QL will bring Consort Ling for all his excursion. But there was one time when Consort Ling was sick, her name did not appear in the excursion list. But surprisingly, at the end of the trip her name pop out. Apparently, after she recovered QL actually ask for her to be escorted to join him. It shows that QL did not like to be separated with her for a long period. Also in that clip, it actually mentioned that when Step Empress was strip off her title, while on the way back from the trip QL already send words back to the palace to renovate the queen's chamber which was next to his room for  Consort Ling. How I wish all this details could have been put into the drama as well....(anyway if anyone do find this video in you tube could you please share as I was trying to rewatch)

 

Thanks and my apologies on the rambling.

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2018 at 8:40 PM, sharonfu18 said:

In eps 59, YL told QL why she took the soup to stop her from falling pregnant was because she was afraid of giving birth because of what happened to her mother (noted she was terrified when Fuca was giving birth to 12th prince)... does everyone believe this to be the reason or she just use the excuse? Also when QL asked why didn’t she tell him I think she avoid the question and never answer him... do you think this was accurate interpretation? 

Yes. I believe she really meant that she is scared of child birth. Remember how she strongly opposed Fuca falling pregnant after her coma? Plus, YL is aware how importance having children with the emperor to a concubine. She was just not ready yet at that time. 

 

@heychumi Thanks a lot for the extra info. I read somewhere that Consort Ling hold 4 records in QL's harem : the most favoured consort, the most children with QL, the fastest asecension in ranks and the one who accompanied him on his trips the most.

 

@housetangaryen The one that really piqued my curiousity are the items SE instructed YCW to send to Yangxin Palace in ep 63. I assumed SE destroyed the zither that QL gave to YL and sent it to his place so that he would think how insignificance he is to YL. But I still don't understand the significance of the flower pouch and why Chen Bi intercepted it from being delivered to QL?

 

@Cedric Ong If you can explain this... I noticed the term concubine being pronounced differently by different characters in Yanxi. Some pronounce it as "Fei Pin" whereas some pronounce it as "Pin Fei". Any difference? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, heychumi said:

 

So there is hierarchy within the same rank as well? Aside from seniority, I always thought that if youre conferred as a "fei" then youre equal to other "fei". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to this, pin fei and fei pin means the same, interchangeable terms. See 1st line, both bold words.

https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/妃嬪

 

If according to this, the 2 individual chars mean :

fei - any partner of the emperor below the Empress. If used as the rank, it'll be consort. It's higher than the lower ranks like Gui Ren, Chang Zai etc.

pin - its initial meaning is closer to palace maid....which is reasonable b'cos in some way, they do belong to the Emperor, if he likes and bed her, she would rise above the maid status.

Same the 2 terms are interchangeable with a difference.

Fei Pin - the term for the whole group of woman (married to the Emperor)

Pin Fei - the term for their status/ranking. 

Mmmm.....how to explain. U call the whole group "Fei Pin" as in the Emperor and his Fei Pin have all arrived at Yuan Ming Garden.

Then when come to individual woman, u say her "Pin Fei" rank is Imperial Noble Consort.

https://zhidao.baidu.com/question/562047397.html

 

This is what the article said. I think some dramas or novels might use the 2 terms casually.

 

**********************

 

The flower pouch contains those white flowers which Yingluo and Fuheng both like. If Qianlong knows what is inside, he would realise Fuheng still love Yingluo very much. Or they still had some secret relationship. My guess is he had seen it before with Fuheng but no chance to know what is inside.

 

Chen Bi probably wanted the elope scene to happen rather than Qianlong getting angry too early. Furthermore if the elope scene really happen, Yingluo and Fuheng would have no excuse at all.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...