[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Story of Yan Xi’s Palace 延禧攻略

sugarplum892

I’m enjoying the show. The current episode is 42, I think? I’m only at 34. The alien symbiote inside me is gleefully going "so many episodes, so little time". And also it appears Ruyi will begin in the coming week as well.

Anyway. 虐 turn of events

Spoiler

in epi 34. Is this the end of Wei Yingluo and Fuca Fuheng together? Can’t help feeling a bit sad for them. Especially on the heels of epi 33 which was sweet.

I had no idea I’d been enjoying the couple this much.

Charmaine Sheh is doing well. She makes a natural villain. There’s something sinister, understatedly sinister, about her Xian Fei/Hoifa Nara Shusheng.

I like the reason for Xian Fei crossing over to the dark side (so to speak). Believable.

Wei Yingluo is not on her radar yet. Right now she’s only going after those she holds responsible for the plight of her family. Her machinations are subtle and she’s established a good reputation from her principled days. It seems to me she’s going to be a hard villain to suss out, let alone take out.

I’m liking this first empress. Kind. And wise. And she has a beautiful way of speaking: soft, gentle, and serene. Subdued yet warm. And above all, naturally so, as though this is the way the actress normally speaks in real life. She looks the part too. And her clothes fit well and the palette suits her coloring. I’m enjoying having her on my screen.

Spoiler

Not looking forward to her death. 

I am, however, counting down to Xian Fei (Xian Gui Fei now, actually) taking Chun Fei out.

I hope it’ll be good, on a par with how Zhen Huan took care of An Lingrong in Zhen Huan Zhuan.

Spoiler

Er Qin turning came as a surprise to me. I knew Mingyu’s petulance would peter out and that she would become a staunch friend and ally of Wei Yingluo, but I didn’t see this jealousy-festering Er Qin coming. The possibility of her with Fuheng didn’t once occur to me.

She seems to me to be of the same age as the empress. More of an elder sister than potential other half, unfortunately. And the same goes for Chun Fei, I might add.

The bodyguard makes a better catch and is more sought-after than the emperor himself lol.

Er Qin’s story is sad though. So a woman with her background and heritage in those days could only be a high-ranking maid in the palace or one of the emperor’s many wives? Until or unless the emperor gave her away? Poor thing if so. Makes me think middle class is not a good station to be in even in days of yore.

The Ah Man sister story. Wow. The injustice of it all.

Spoiler

I was glad to see the Tai Fei get her comeuppance. Hopefully there’s proportionate punishment in store for Hongzhou as well.

I'm afraid the Brother Yan or Yuan character rather bores me. Why is he relevant? His story is sad too though. He’s probably the most unfortunate, the most wretched, character in the entire show, come to think of it. Thus far at least. Did Wei Yingluo really fall asleep while the poor chap was telling her about all the terrible things in his life?

So he’s that guy that bore the brunt of Xian Fei trying to sell her jewelry back in the early episodes. Dude had utterly slipped my mind till now.

So you have the sad characters. Quite a few of them in the show. And then there are the emperor and empress, right at the top of the totem pole, whining about having a tough job or having lost her true self or how no one understands their pain. Right in front of people whose job is to scrub and lug buckets of night soil. People destined to never be able to lead their own lives till freed. People forced or tricked into becoming eunuchs. Seriously.

I’m liking the color palette. The sets too. The rooms and sub-rooms. The divider and blind that rolled down to reveal a map, the incense burner on the table, the lower sub-table in front of the main table and other articles. Much thought must have gone into them.

The costumes too though someone in the ironing department clearly dropped the ball.

• Like 2

Posting for the first time because I love this drama. Wondering why there is so little buzz about this. I have never posted in any forum and really am seeking company in spazzing about this show. There's so much I like about this.

First, the use of colour and lighting for characterisation, the costumes and sets: 

I watched Zhen Huan and while I loved ZH, in comparison, it now feels dated and loud with its palette of rich colours. In contrast, Yanxi come across as muted and restrained but so elegant. The first stills of the show attracted me with the elegant styling of the characters. The beautiful hairpins, accessories and headpieces are a work of art, so much so I wish someone would replicate and sell these in real life. From the palace maids to the concubines, the costumes and the detailing/embroidery and fabric are all appropriately styled/designed. The sets are gorgeous and I believe, styled accurately in terms of historical basis. From the hangings to the dividers and the furniture, even the carpets, all combine to convey a very understated grandeur. Not sure if anyone notices but the fittings of WYL's Yanxi Palace seem nicer than other concubines. There is also more natural light, making the space seem brighter and happier. In contrast, the scenes of the new Empress/Xian Fei are usually conducted in darker surrounds. Same for Chun Fei. I think its a subtle way of how lighting a scene can create certain impressions of characters and their motivations.  So yes, points also go to the lighting team for really spot-on lighting. Costuming also helped in the characterisation - the kind empress Fuca was mostly in white or paler colours while the spoiled and tempestuous Gao Guifei was always in deep reds and flashy emerald greens. Xianfei, when she was kinder and principled, wore pastel and floral motifs. In her transition to the dark side, her costumes also changed to deeper, darker hues - a lot of black, navy. 

Kudos to the team who did the production design for their great eye and the lovely muted palette as well as the keen attention to all the littlest details in terms of sets and costuming.

The budding relationship between the emperor and WYL is so cute to watch. Sensed his attraction to her from the beginning but the love story between her and Fuca Fuheng was so sweet that it took centrestage - and rightfully so cos all in its own good time right? That was truly a bittersweet first love and like so many 'first loves' in real life, it is a relationship that shapes them and their choices, one they carry through life with regret, longing and memory. So while I am sad about the ending of that love story, I am hyped that a greater love story will unfold between the emperor and WYL. 

I enjoy Yanxi also because of some unexpected character changes - from Xian Fei, Chun Fei and then Er Qing. Er Qing's flip was interesting because she was initially so loyal to the empress and also acted as wise mediator between WYL and Ming Yu. Later as her character changes emerge and upon rewatching of some scenes, you can tell how subtly the writers left clues on Er Qing's true motivations and ambitions. Same for Chun Fei. 

I'm up to Ep 44 and wondering why the release of episodes are so slow. I'm not impatient for English subs anymore because despite my crappy Mandarin, I am actually watching this without English subs just cos the show is so good. I'm just impatient for the next instalment and on the sites I'm watching, the upload is really really slow. Or maybe its just me being  impatient for more Yanxi and WYL antics! 

• Like 2

On 8/11/2018 at 6:46 AM, Alila Nguyen said:

currently the drama is still going strong despite being half way through, however it has deviated from the original source, so I guess we have to wait and see how well it actually is!

I'm interested in hearing the differences from the source material! 

Actually initially i thought it is based on novel...but no...there is a so-called ongoing novel which is actually written as the drama is being filmed or shown...so actually it is like the script.

According to some netizens....there are very slight difference..more like a different filming direction (eg some bed teasing scenes are simplified...instead of rolling around in bed, it is cropped after a kiss). 

But if compared to real history....there are many small differences and missing parts. Differences as in how some female chars died (illness not suicide). Missing as in there should be more children than mentioned in drama eg Fucha empress should have surviving daughters.

Some netizen reveal hidden stuff in earlier posters. Eg the tiny image in their eyes. They magnify and enhance the images.

For Yingluo...Fucha empress...a sisterly love that is most important to her.

DkNPwmXU8AEBWKa.jpg

For Fucha Empress....her younger self...the loss of that carefree persona...which she see in Yingluo.

5c631bed-137a-4863-a862-50fe629939c7.jpg

For Gao consort...it is the Emperor.

006K47Gsly1fu22cnxwz1j31ww3em4qs.jpg

For Xian consort...also the Emperor...but maybe before she turn evil...later on....i rather the image is her lamp flames.

Spoiler

4827a92dly1fu29jqj73vj20ty1hegwm.jpg

• Like 1

I loved how the Emperor cringed at Ying Luo's acting the characteristics of his current Empress and the other Royal Consorts.

I agreed that Ying Luo is true to herself while the rest of the women put on a fake "face". That is why the Emperor's complain is that everyone goes out in their way to pacify him but she does not. She even had him waiting for her.

And doesn't he come out beaming in the morning when he leaves her palace.

• Like 1

I'm really interested in the comparison between this drama and "ruyi royal love in the palace"....at a first glance it seems like the evil charters in yanxi palace are good characters in ruyi, while the good characters in ruyi are evil in yanxi palace. 

2 hours ago, etelou1 said:

I'm really interested in the comparison between this drama and "ruyi royal love in the palace"....at a first glance it seems like the evil charters in yanxi palace are good characters in ruyi, while the good characters in ruyi are evil in yanxi palace. 

Well according to history, why the second empress (Charmaine’s character or Zhou Xun’s character in Ruyi) lost favour was very mysterious, no one knows. There was a famous record of how one governor told the emperor to give her the burial of the queen because her title entitle her for that, and he ended up got exiled. After 10 yrs, Qianlong ended his exile, but the dude didn’t learn, and told the emperor again to give her a historical record, he got executed!

so Ruyi is trying to spin the story as she was good but then something bad happen to her? Or some misunderstanding that Qianlong just couldn’t forgive her. While Yanxi is painted her as an evil person and Qianlong found out in the end and that’s why he hated her until after she die. Also Ruyi is spin the most beloved first queen into an evil manipulative person, while history does show Qianlong loves her a lot, and she’s well known for being very good and humble. However Qianlong’s love for her to me is questionable. The article I read said he would visit her quarter (or place where they have her shrine) every year to talk to her, write poem to her, etc. however, the poem was about him regret and feel remorse of indirectly causing her death. Anyway, not saying he doesn’t love her, but it felt that love got deepen because the emperor felt like he caused her death

Absolutely love that Ying Luo does not treat the Emperor as the Emperor but a normal human being that is now her husband. Loved all the new antics of hers. It is so true that she is one of a kind because she has been always honest and direct about herself.

That is why her son eventually become the next emperor and she is the consort who bore Qian Long the most royal children 

Did she had the courage to give the Emperor a colon cleansing in the past?

4 minutes ago, Jackie1048 said:

Absolutely love that Ying Luo does not treat the Emperor as the Emperor but a normal human being that is now her husband Loved all the new antics of hers. It is so true that she is one of a kind because she has been always honest and direct about herself.

That is why her son eventually become the next emperor and she is the consort who bore Qian Long the most royal children 

Did she had the courage to give the Emperor a colon cleansing in the past?

@Jackie1048 .. Hi chingu   Where can i watch this with subs.... Please send me DM if you know where I can watch it . 

16 minutes ago, UnniSarah said:

@Jackie1048 .. Hi chingu   Where can i watch this with subs.... Please send me DM if you know where I can watch it . 

If you are referring to English subs, so far there is none. I understand a bit of Mandarin and will watch the Cantonese dub which is the Chinese dialect I can speak to fill the gaps. But the Cantonese dub is still in its early episodes for now.

On 8/13/2018 at 9:32 PM, dramanoob8818 said:

Posting for the first time because I love this drama. Wondering why there is so little buzz about this. I have never posted in any forum and really am seeking company in spazzing about this show. There's so much I like about this.

First, the use of colour and lighting for characterisation, the costumes and sets: 

I watched Zhen Huan and while I loved ZH, in comparison, it now feels dated and loud with its palette of rich colours. In contrast, Yanxi come across as muted and restrained but so elegant. The first stills of the show attracted me with the elegant styling of the characters. The beautiful hairpins, accessories and headpieces are a work of art, so much so I wish someone would replicate and sell these in real life. From the palace maids to the concubines, the costumes and the detailing/embroidery and fabric are all appropriately styled/designed. The sets are gorgeous and I believe, styled accurately in terms of historical basis. From the hangings to the dividers and the furniture, even the carpets, all combine to convey a very understated grandeur. Not sure if anyone notices but the fittings of WYL's Yanxi Palace seem nicer than other concubines. There is also more natural light, making the space seem brighter and happier. In contrast, the scenes of the new Empress/Xian Fei are usually conducted in darker surrounds. Same for Chun Fei. I think its a subtle way of how lighting a scene can create certain impressions of characters and their motivations.  So yes, points also go to the lighting team for really spot-on lighting. Costuming also helped in the characterisation - the kind empress Fuca was mostly in white or paler colours while the spoiled and tempestuous Gao Guifei was always in deep reds and flashy emerald greens. Xianfei, when she was kinder and principled, wore pastel and floral motifs. In her transition to the dark side, her costumes also changed to deeper, darker hues - a lot of black, navy. 

Kudos to the team who did the production design for their great eye and the lovely muted palette as well as the keen attention to all the littlest details in terms of sets and costuming.

The budding relationship between the emperor and WYL is so cute to watch. Sensed his attraction to her from the beginning but the love story between her and Fuca Fuheng was so sweet that it took centrestage - and rightfully so cos all in its own good time right? That was truly a bittersweet first love and like so many 'first loves' in real life, it is a relationship that shapes them and their choices, one they carry through life with regret, longing and memory. So while I am sad about the ending of that love story, I am hyped that a greater love story will unfold between the emperor and WYL. 

I enjoy Yanxi also because of some unexpected character changes - from Xian Fei, Chun Fei and then Er Qing. Er Qing's flip was interesting because she was initially so loyal to the empress and also acted as wise mediator between WYL and Ming Yu. Later as her character changes emerge and upon rewatching of some scenes, you can tell how subtly the writers left clues on Er Qing's true motivations and ambitions. Same for Chun Fei. 

I'm up to Ep 44 and wondering why the release of episodes are so slow. I'm not impatient for English subs anymore because despite my crappy Mandarin, I am actually watching this without English subs just cos the show is so good. I'm just impatient for the next instalment and on the sites I'm watching, the upload is really really slow. Or maybe its just me being  impatient for more Yanxi and WYL antics! 

taxiasian has episodes up to 52 

On 8/15/2018 at 4:28 PM, etelou1 said:

Although I started out hoping to watch Ruyi, I'm now so hooked on Yanxi that I don't feel like watching Ruyi anymore. Cannot reconcile the different character lines after rooting for the Fuca empress and WYL.  Cannot buy the idea that in Ruyi, Xian Fei is the good guy. Yanxi is more true to historical events. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, dramanoob8818 said:

Although I started out hoping to watch Ruyi, I'm now so hooked on Yanxi that I don't feel like watching Ruyi anymore. Cannot reconcile the different character lines after rooting for the Fuca empress and WYL.  Cannot buy the idea that in Ruyi, Xian Fei is the good guy. Yanxi is more true to historical events. 

is Yanxi more true? 

Ok, the 3 chars....Fucha Empress (1st empress), Xian consort (Ruyi in Ruyi drama, Step or 2nd empress after the 1st one died) and Ling consort (Wei Yingluo in this drama, she only was named empress after she died). 

Spoiler

Some stuff eg their character (meaning good or evil) aren't mentioned in history books but we can assume Xian and Ling consorts must be clever to be able to climb up to their top positions later. Usually empress esp being the 1st wife type wouldn't need that kind of effort.

For Xian consort and later Step empress...she got that history mention of suddenly being neglected by the emperor much later..i think to the extend of imprison her in her palace, reduce her maids, her sons weren't favoured at all etc...she died not long after that. She was given a consort funeral (instead of empress) and body buried with another consort instead of with the emperor...ironically she with Chun consort. And there was almost little mention of her or paintings still kept in the palace after her death.

It was said she angered him by cutting her hair which is a taboo...some rumor is she was unhappy with him being close to other consorts or females (as he was known to "survey" outside the palace). But still they suspect she being so experienced shouldnt have made such mistake. So naturally if a drama decide to portay her as someone with some dark secrets...it is quite rational.

But on the other hand...for Fucha empress...she got very clear mention in history for her kindness. So more people are unhappy about Ruyi story which portrayed her in negative light.

1 hour ago, Wotad said:

is Yanxi more true? 

from what I read, yes. IRL, Xian Fei who became Empress Ulanara in real life, suddenly lost favour with Qian Long. No one knows why. It was Consort Ling who bore the most number of children for Qian Long, who was also promoted faster than other concubine in the palace. She was eventually given the hughest rank next to empress status. Her son was named Crown Prince and she was given the title of Empress after death. Qian Long also gave her a funeral almost the same level befitting an empress status.  Whereas for Ulanara empress, he slowly stripped her of her power and status and basically put her in cold storage. When she died, her funeral was simple more befitting a junior concubine than that of Empress. So far Yanxi has not strayed far from the historical understanding of the events. Watching Yanxi so far, WYL was promoted very quickly too and gained the emperor's favour.  Some pple say WYL never loved the emperor, only Fu Heng. But I think she later grew to love him although Fu Heng was her first love.

• Like 2