Quantcast
sugarplum892

[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Story of Yan Xi’s Palace 延禧攻略

4 hours ago, lyserose said:

Did you get to watch the trailer video elsewhere other than IG?

I watched it on twitter (with english subs) https://twitter.com/dramapotatoe/status/1053648909313105921

And @Cedric Ong I have a historical question if you have time. Is it an established fact that Consort Ling resided at Yanxi Palace? I thought I read that it wasn't & in the book excerpt you linked us earlier, it says that QL gave her her own "Perfect Brightness Garden" residence named "Heaven and Earth are All One Family in Spring" (Tiandi Yijia Chun) -- do you know anything more about this as well?

15 hours ago, Cedric Ong said:

No. The rank doesn't change at all. It's a protocol to add a character.....either to be specially selected by the Emperor to represent the person.....or to mark them as his wife (after death).

She was Imperial Noble Consort Ling 令皇貴妃 in 1765.

After she died in 1775,  she was renamed as Imperial Noble Consort Lingyi  令懿皇貴妃. Ling is her name (not birthname but sort of a surname used in the palace), the 2nd char Yi means perfect...probably how he viewed her. 

Interesting this Yi is the same char in the other drama Ru Yi Legend.

When Qianlong abdicated in favour of Yongyan, at the same time, he elevated her to Empress Xiaoyi 孝儀皇后 in 1796.  Xiao means filial piety. Yi here probably means proper etiquette or manners. (interesting this isn't how we look at Yingluo in the drama...haha)

Here the Xiao is a fixed char, i found Fuca empress was called Empress XiaoXian 孝賢皇后. Xian means virtuous...so the 2nd char is the different, specially selected one.

* I do feel that it is an important point, Qianlong himself granted her the position, not by her son or not due to some automatic protocol. He could have skipped it. B'cos many new emperors' birth mother (who are consorts) automatically rose to Dowager Empress even posthumously. Probably like some people said, Ling's family background placed some restriction in the past....and Qianlong also didn't want to expose who's the next Emperor so soon (if he granted her the title, people will know).....or more neutrally, he hadn't confirmed if it would be her son.

But as soon as the next Emperor was confirmed, he granted her that honour of being an Empress. Nobody will object.

Then after Qianlong died in 1799, her son then granted her the name of Empress Xiaoyichun 孝儀純皇后. It's protocol to do so.

The 3rd char Chun 純 is another fixed char. Fuca also got it added after she died. It means Pure. This char is added b'cos Qianlong has it too.

Every emperor himself also had a different posthumous char added. QIanlong's is Chun. Only Empress(es) can have this Chun added (after death)....as his proper wives. Consorts and below don't.

U can check his wiki....on the right column under "Posthumous name". The full name is super long....the last char is Chun.

Emperor Fatian Longyun Zhicheng Xianjue Tiyuan Liji Fuwen Fenwu Qinming Xiaoci Shensheng Chun

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qianlong_Emperor

Then for his father Yongzheng,  it's Emperor Jingtian Changyun Jianzhong Biaozhen Wenwu Yingming Kuanren Xinyi Ruisheng Daxiao Zhicheng Xian

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yongzheng_Emperor

And if u check his 2 empress under Family, they also ended with Xian 憲. So this follows the husband.

Simply put, it's to mark them as his.

Very nice and informative about the 'char'.

Chun was added to Empress XiaoXian name by Emperor Qianlong but wonder why he didn't added Chun to Consort Ling when he elevated her as his Empress Xiaoyi.

----------

11 hours ago, Cedric Ong said:

Chinese source if u can read chinese.

https://baike.baidu.com/item/孝仪纯皇后

I try to find english source non-related to wiki and came across this book. There is a paragraph on Qianlong elevating her to Empress Xiaoyi posthumously.

https://books.google.com.sg/books?id=_e7-CgAAQBAJ&pg=PT139&lpg=PT139&dq=qianlong+xiaoyi&source=bl&ots=Ky7YVgHP9M&sig=RhZidtK3APsTY5JoTE52v73QnNk&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiJ2onx2pXeAhXDdH0KHR0bDy0Q6AEwA3oECAIQAQ#v=onepage&q=qianlong xiaoyi&f=false

Think ppl are confused when they read her son conferred the title of Empress Xiaoyichun and missed the earlier part where Qianlong did confer the Empress title at the same time he passed his crown. At that time the edict was still from him as Emperor.

Yes many skipped that. Only mentioned she was elevated as an Empress Xiaoyichun by Jiaqing Emperor.

So its really true and has a record about Qianlong make her an Empress first before his son. 

Read somewhere, the next Emperor when he inherite the throne, he cannot make or promote his mother neither dead or alive with title "Empress" right? He can only grant the title Empress Dowager...Empress only for his wife. But since Consort Ling was granted the title Empress by the Qianlong itself, so her son can renamed her Empress title.

11 hours ago, Cedric Ong said:

Will check n reply later.

Thank you .... So glad to have you here too :lol:

7 hours ago, lyserose said:

You are most welcome.

YCW was a good brother but he is too possessive. And tbh, I don't believe his words when he told YL that he wouldn't mind YL marrying any other man except QL because he sabotaged YL and Fuheng's chances several times too. He just wanted to keep her all to himself.

Hide contents

On YL's return to Yanxi Palace in episode 58

YL was greeted with her palace still in good keep. MY praised  Xiao Yuan Zhi (he was sent back earlier) for getting things done despite the short period. XYZ said when he came back, Yanxi palace was already in good keep so MY made a remarks that QL still care about YL that he ensure her palace being in good keep and YL was happy to hear that too. Turned out, it was Step Empress who ordered for Yanxi palace to be restored as it was to welcome YL back (since Step Empress had wanted to ask YL to join her to take down Chen Bi). On whether QL was aware that YL had return to Yanxi..... yes but he didn't visit her immediately. He told Step Empress to let Chen Bi learn palace etiquette at Yanxi (his move to make YL jealous of CB) but he was disturbed when Step Empress mentioned that YL has been sick since in Yuan Ming Garden. It was only after Fuheng told him that YL returned to the palace 3 days after learning about Chen Bi that QL visited her.

The dialogue in episode 59 when he visited her and saw her for the first time after 3 years

QL was not happy when he heard that YL was sick partially because of improper eating schedules. MY said, YL has been copying Buddhist script with ink mixed with blood, thus affecting her diet. When he first walked in and YL greeted him, he was being petty when he told her to not do the curtsy since she is sick and there was no need to pretend to be strong.  When YL cleared the table, he saw the marks on her fingers and YL explained it was the effect of dropping blood. He ordered YL to stop copying the script (since her health has been affected) but YL said, she had to disobey him since she had to keep her promise to Dowager about the script. QL then said, initially he didn't want to care at all about YL but she has been taking good care (on his behalf) of Dowager. He said since YL chose to continue copying the script with blood ink, she should not blame others for whatever consequences after that. When QL was about to walk out, YL reminded him of his promise (refer to episode 48 where she came to see him in guard's uniform) to not allow anyone bully her. She said, everyone in the harem saw QL visiting Yanxi palace that night and if he walked out on her, how would she be able to regain her place in the palace. So, QL agreed to a sleepover at Yanxi only to give face to YL and childishly said "The rest, don't even dream of it". LOL

On QL's monologue after he slept with YL....

He said "You know the thing that I really want to know (whether YL loves him or not) but why are you not giving me the answer...". QL never asked the question directly, in fact when YL told him about taking the anti-pregnancy medicine and told QL to put the past behind and stop being angry at her, QL said to her that she knew he wasn't angry only because of her taking birth control medicine, thus hoping she would satisfy him with an answer regarding her true feeling for him (like he told Chen Bi, he could not accept that he has no place in YL's heart).

Thanks once again. You should be the one subbing all the episodes of Yanxi Palace :lol::D. So we won't trouble you and keep on asking you to translate.

*Btw I probably didn't notice this but did QL ever said he loves YL directly?

*I re-watch a scene in ep.67 and I feel sorry, sad and pity on Step Empress when she heard YL & QL acted lovey dovey while waiting outside and Liyu looks closer into her eyes, and I think there is a tears.

*also Liyu seems to know YL is the most important to QL. Every single time when QL in bad mood, he will call for YL to come over or keep on mentions Consort Ling to QL. Liyu also provoked QL to go to Yanxi in ep.55 after he had argument with YL over the death Er Qing.

*I like it when QL..... 1.He lied or more like cover up for YL in front of Step Empress when YL killed Er Qing and 2. When he asked YL to stop make it kite and wants her to play zither. Because he didn't wants her to be blame as the one who killed Chun Consort. 

--------------

What is the song in ep 37, when QL touch YL's face after he saved her from falling during the snow walk and the background music in ep.55, after QL confronted YL about birth control and he left the Yanxi Palace.

2 hours ago, harooxxx said:

Thanks once again. You should be the one subbing all the episodes of Yanxi Palace :lol::D. So we won't trouble you and keep on asking you to translate.

*I re-watch a scene in ep.67 and I feel sorry, sad and pity on Step Empress when she heard YL & QL acted lovey dovey while waiting outside and Liyu looks closer into her eyes, and I think there is a tears.

*also Liyu seems to know YL is the most important to QL. Every single time when QL in bad mood, he will call for YL to come over or keep on mentions Consort Ling to QL. Liyu also provoked QL to go to Yanxi in ep.55 after he had argument with YL over the death Er Qing.

*I like it when QL..... 1.He lied or more like cover up for YL in front of Step Empress when YL killed Er Qing and 2. When he asked YL to stop make it kite and wants her to play zither. Because he didn't wants her to be blame as the one who killed Chun Consort. 

--------------

What is the song in ep 37, when QL touch YL's face after he saved her from falling during the snow walk and the background music in ep.55, after QL confronted YL about birth control and he left the Yanxi Palace.

>Btw I probably didn't notice this but did QL ever said he loves YL directly?

i think QL mentioned as an emperor he can favourite consorts but can never show love. I think that goes towards saying love also even though he has done so much to indicate he loves YL. I think their love is so deep and cute. They seems to have an understanding beyond words. Do you all agree? They seems to know each other moves and thinking ... more then Fuheng and YL . 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, believed said:

I watched it on twitter (with english subs) https://twitter.com/dramapotatoe/status/1053648909313105921

Thanks. Clearer view but still could not spot who's the guy (she kissed). LOL :lol:

9 hours ago, harooxxx said:

--------------

Welcome :)

No, QL also never verbalized directly that he loves YL. Throughout the drama, the fact that he loves her been verbalized by others namely Step Empress, Yuan Chun Wang and Chen Bi. Interestingly, no one ever mentioned that YL loved QL. While YL herself did verbalized in her monologue that she did ever loved Fuheng whole-heartedly and said to YCW that she not only liked Fuheng, in fact loved him, YL never once said out directly that she loved QL. The most that was said was when she complaining about her look and comparing herself with Chen Bi and her jealous antics made the surprised MY guessing that she had fallen in love with QL which she poorly denied.

I agree. The older Step Empress is rather pitiful. Since the early episodes, she was devoted to loving her husband and she was very happy to finally have QL's attention when he had a fell out with YL. Despite all the bad things she did in the past, she did tried her best to keep her promise to YL and never harm any of the royal children. But QL had never favoured her right from the beginning. He respected her but never loved her. They unfortunately only had the kind of relationship that was bound by duty. That was all. I feel extremely sad for her when she asked QL (in episode 70 on the ship)....if he ever once thought of her during the fire and ambush incident? She was deeply hurt to know that QL only cared to protect YL.

On the song in episode 36 where QL touched YL's face after picking her up in the snow.... I came across two versions with different songs for this particular scene, so I don't know which one you are referring to. The version that I like featured the song "Sighs of The Palace Walls" whereas the other version featured the song "Willows of The Palace" (the song where QL ordered Consort Shu to sing in the garden all night long). No idea about the instrumental track, though.

This is the one I like....Sighs Behind The Palace Walls

6 hours ago, sharonfu18 said:

i think QL mentioned as an emperor he can favourite consorts but can never show love. I think that goes towards saying love also even though he has done so much to indicate he loves YL. I think their love is so deep and cute. They seems to have an understanding beyond words. Do you all agree? They seems to know each other moves and thinking ... more then Fuheng and YL . 

Yes, you are right. He said this when visiting Fuca who was in coma. Even in his last conversation with YL, when he asked YL if she had anything to say to the man who gave her the highest rank in the palace, he did told her that he is an emperor, he isn't the kind who can understands true love. They both won't admit it to each other but they have reached that level of trust to truly understand each other. Sometimes, love is deeper than words.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, harooxxx said:

Chun was added to Empress XiaoXian name by Emperor Qianlong but wonder why he didn't added Chun to Consort Ling when he elevated her as his Empress Xiaoyi.

I can't find any useful info. My guess is they need a few yrs in-between the name change. U can't jump straight to Xiao Yi Chun. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, believed said:

And @Cedric Ong I have a historical question if you have time. Is it an established fact that Consort Ling resided at Yanxi Palace? I thought I read that it wasn't & in the book excerpt you linked us earlier, it says that QL gave her her own "Perfect Brightness Garden" residence named "Heaven and Earth are All One Family in Spring" (Tiandi Yijia Chun) -- do you know anything more about this as well?

When i check chinese wiki....there's no confirmation. B'cos existing records have little info on which ladies live in which palace. Many often move around over the years. So Yanxi palace might be just one of her many homes over the years. 

Only the Emperor, Empress and Dowager Empress have clear records of residence and their palaces are perm. 

Would check more chinese sources again when free. These few days busier.

23 hours ago, lyserose said:

No, QL also never verbalized directly that he loves YL. Throughout the drama, the fact that he loves her been verbalized by others namely Step Empress, Yuan Chun Wang and Chen Bi. Interestingly, no one ever mentioned that YL loved QL. While YL herself did verbalized in her monologue that she did ever loved Fuheng whole-heartedly and said to YCW that she not only liked Fuheng, in fact loved him, YL never once said out directly that she loved QL. The most that was said was when she complaining about her look and comparing herself with Chen Bi and her jealous antics made the surprised MY guessing that she had fallen in love with QL which she poorly denied.

Can you tell me in what episode Step Empress and YCW said QL loves YL? And what did they say ?

I agree. The older Step Empress is rather pitiful. Since the early episodes, she was devoted to loving her husband and she was very happy to finally have QL's attention when he had a fell out with YL. Despite all the bad things she did in the past, she did tried her best to keep her promise to YL and never harm any of the royal children. But QL had never favoured her right from the beginning. He respected her but never loved her. They unfortunately only had the kind of relationship that was bound by duty. That was all. I feel extremely sad for her when she asked QL (in episode 70 on the ship)....if he ever once thought of her during the fire and ambush incident? She was deeply hurt to know that QL only cared to protect YL.

I don't know but somehow I think this situation in drama probably happened in history too.

Like in history mostly described Step Empress and Qianlong's relationship more like bound on duty and full of respect instead of love. SE probably longing for Qianlong's love and attention as a life partner and when QL cannot give that, she finally reach her limit and cannot stand with it anymore thus leads her to cut her hair.

This is the one I like....Sighs Behind The Palace Walls

Yes this is the one I like.. 

• Like 1

About Ling Consort's funeral...read this in one blog...the bold one, wonder what is that...

"On the day of her death, Emperor Qianlong ordered almost all the emperors and grandchildren to wear filial piety, adding eighteen to seventy-six of her original ceremonies, only one less than the empress’s.

Later Emperor Qianlong’s poem Elegy to Emperor Yihuang and Imperial Concubine mourned: “Children and young men are married, leaving only childish and pitiful truth. The leader of the orchid palace is a leader. When we are born, we are born with illusions".

----------

Can anyone translate this.   

"不过她享有的殊荣也不差,在魏佳氏去世后,乾隆帝在她原有的仪仗中增加了十八件,达到七十六件,仅比皇后的仪仗少了一件,而且从魏佳氏留下的遗物中可以看出,她生前已经拥有东珠朝珠,大家可要知道东珠朝珠是帝后才有资格佩戴的,可见令妃的地位并不差。"

• Like 2

12 hours ago, harooxxx said:

Can you tell me in what episode Step Empress and YCW said QL loves YL? And what did they say ?

Spoiler

In episode 70

- During the confrontation on the ship, upon discovering that QL sent out LY and his personal bodyguards to protect YL during the ambush, Step Empress madly said QL loves YL so much that he put up with danger just to keep YL safe. She also called out QL for being stupid to love YL who doesn't even love him back.

- And during the final meet up with YL, Step Empress said she spent many years trying to win QL's heart but failed to do so. And so, asking YL how did she managed to make QL loves her so much. 

In episode 53

- QL instructed Head Eunuch Wu to send the best and most beautiful fur as a gift to YL. When YCW saw YL whom was touched by QL's affection, he said that QL clearly loves YL that he sent all the best gifts to her just to win her heart. YCW said that QL never verbalized his love because he is an Emperor but his action said so.

12 hours ago, harooxxx said:

I don't know but somehow I think this situation in drama probably happened in history too.

Like in history mostly described Step Empress and Qianlong's relationship more like bound on duty and full of respect instead of love. SE probably longing for Qianlong's love and attention as a life partner and when QL cannot give that, she finally reach her limit and cannot stand with it anymore thus leads her to cut her hair.

The "hair cutting" reason is just an official excuse given by QL. For this particular part, Ruyi's depiction of the hair cutting is probably more accurate than in Yanxi, because it must have been done in private that only QL knew the exact reason. Even then, nobody knew whether she actually did cut her hair or that was just a made up official reason since it is a grave blunder, thus a reasonable excuse for her fall from grace.

Some said she protested against his intention to acquire more concubines (I don't really buy this since she's been aware of this arrangement for many years), and some speculated that it was related to QL's intention to promote Consort Ling as depicted in Yanxi. Either way, whatever she committed must have been so graved for him to be so unforgiving. And I also don't remember ever reading about SE being one of QL's favourites (except in Ruyi) and he has always preferred Consort Ling than SE.

But based on both accounts from Yanxi and Ruyi, Step Empress is portrayed as a devoted wife who really loved her husband.

11 hours ago, harooxxx said:
About Ling Consort's funeral...read this in one blog...the bold one, wonder what is that...

"On the day of her death, Emperor Qianlong ordered almost all the emperors and grandchildren to wear filial piety, adding eighteen to seventy-six of her original ceremonies, only one less than the empress’s.

Later Emperor Qianlong’s poem Elegy to Emperor Yihuang and Imperial Concubine mourned: “Children and young men are married, leaving only childish and pitiful truth. The leader of the orchid palace is a leader. When we are born, we are born with illusions".

Oh, mind to share the link of the above blog you mentioned? Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lyserose said:
  Reveal hidden contents

In episode 70

- During the confrontation on the ship, upon discovering that QL sent out LY and his personal bodyguards to protect YL during the ambush, Step Empress madly said QL loves YL so much that he put up with danger just to keep YL safe. She also called out QL for being stupid to love YL who doesn't even love him back.

- And during the final meet up with YL, Step Empress said she spent many years trying to win QL's heart but failed to do so. And so, asking YL how did she managed to make QL loves her so much. 

In episode 53

- QL instructed Head Eunuch Wu to send the best and most beautiful fur as a gift to YL. When YCW saw YL whom was touched by QL's affection, he said that QL clearly loves YL that he sent all the best gifts to her just to win her heart. YCW said that QL never verbalized his love because he is an Emperor but his action said so.

Oh, mind to share the link of the above blog you mentioned? Thanks in advance.

Here :

https://daily.moviehobby.com/?p=3225

And for the Chinese one from this link :

https://baike.baidu.com/tashuo/browse/content?id=043d1618c1607e42b6b8aba6&lemmaId=6878213&fromLemmaModule=pcRight

----------------

12 hours ago, lyserose said:
  Reveal hidden contents

In episode 70

In episode 53

The "hair cutting" reason is just an official excuse given by QL. For this particular part, Ruyi's depiction of the hair cutting is probably more accurate than in Yanxi, because it must have been done in private that only QL knew the exact reason. Even then, nobody knew whether she actually did cut her hair or that was just a made up official reason since it is a grave blunder, thus a reasonable excuse for her fall from grace.

Some said she protested against his intention to acquire more concubines (I don't really buy this since she's been aware of this arrangement for many years), and some speculated that it was related to QL's intention to promote Consort Ling as depicted in Yanxi. Either way, whatever she committed must have been so graved for him to be so unforgiving. And I also don't remember ever reading about SE being one of QL's favourites (except in Ruyi) and he has always preferred Consort Ling than SE.

But based on both accounts from Yanxi and Ruyi, Step Empress is portrayed as a devoted wife who really loved her husband..

I think the most solid reason among those you mentioned above probably because QL's intention to promote Consort Ling as an Imperial Noble Consort. 

As many known that there was a rules that Empress and Imperial Noble Consort cannot exist at the same time in the harem.

By promoting Ling to that level will only make Step Empress losing face and look down by others while Ling get all the advantage and respect because this action show that Qianlong really highly think of her and she is the most favour by him.

16 years of stability and peacefull life as an Step Empress so I believe she was one of a devoted wife to QL and a good ruler in harem. 

I read that during that trip Consort Ling were there too.

But I also think that Consort Ling not an ambitious woman who after ranks and high position. She was described as beautiful, kind and smart from what I read (although idk whether it true or not). Her personality that make QL favoured her. 

Her char Yi from Lingyi means perfect/ wonderful and Yi from Xiaoyi means good manner. This explains how QL described her as a person.

After watching Yanxi, I keep on searching about Consort Ling. Sometimes I even have a feeling QL always wanted to make her an Empress when she was still alive but cannot do so bc of her lowly background and other reasons so he make it real when he abdicated her son and that was after 20 years of her death. He could skip that but still he chose to granted her title Empress..

• Like 3

@believed @harooxxx Thank you so much for sharing the link with me.  Such an interesting read.

2 hours ago, harooxxx said:

I think the most solid reason among those you mentioned above probably because QL's intention to promote Consort Ling as a Imperial Noble Consort. 

As many known that there was a rules that Empress and Imperial Noble Consort cannot exist at the same time in the harem.

By promoting Ling to that level will only make Step Empress losing face and look down by others while Ling get all the advantage and respect because this action show that Qianlong really highly think of her and she is the most favour by him.

16 years of stability and peacefull life as an Empress so I believe she was one of a devoted wife to QL and a good ruler in harem. 

I read that during that trip Consort Ling were there too.

But I also think that Consort Ling not an ambitious woman who after ranks and high position. She was described as beautiful, kind and smart from what I read (although idk whether it true or not). Her personality that make QL favoured her. 

Her char Yi from Lingyi means perfect/ wonderful and Yi from Xiaoyi means good manner. This explains how QL described her as a person.

After watching Yanxi, I keep on searching about Consort Ling. Sometimes I even have a feeling QL always wanted to make her an Empress when she was still alive but cannot do so bc of her lowly background and other reasons so he make it real when he abdicated her son and that was after 20 years of her death. He could skip that but still he chose to granted her title Empress..

History always fascinates me. It was the same how I searched high and low about Choi Suk Bin after watching Dong Yi.

I am not sure if there's some error with the translation since I can't read chinese, but it was interesting to learn that Consort Ling was his most beloved concubine and honoring her with a funeral ceremonies only one less than an empress and still honor her years after her death. And as @Cedric pointed out in earlier post, adding "Chun" to her title meant he put a stamp that she is his, thus acknowledging her as a proper wife. The one great thing about Yanxi is at least, whatever that we were being fed did not stray far from history. Ofc, Fuca is irreplaceable but it is great to know that Consort Ling was deeply favored as depicted in the drama.

From what I read, QL seems more sentimental towards his early wives whom he married before he ascended the throne. Out of the 5 who joined him in his burial mausoleum, Consort Ling is the only concubine he took in after he became an Emperor. 

Anyway, based from what I read, while Consort Ling started off as a maid, though not a general maid but a maid directly assigned to serve concubine or empress, thus she received some training from Empress Fuca because QL already fancied her?

Now I am digging on Haolan since we have YL and QL in that drama too and that history is pretty interesting also.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, lyserose said:

History always fascinates me. It was the same how I searched high and low about Choi Suk Bin after watching Dong Yi.

I am not sure if there's some error with the translation since I can't read chinese, but it was interesting to learn that Consort Ling was his most beloved concubine and honoring her with a funeral ceremonies only one less than an empress and still honor her years after her death. And as @Cedric pointed out in earlier post, adding "Chun" to her title meant he put a stamp that she is his, thus acknowledging her as a proper wife. The one great thing about Yanxi is at least, whatever that we were being fed did not stray far from history. Ofc, Fuca is irreplaceable but it is great to know that Consort Ling was deeply favored as depicted in the drama.

From what I read, QL seems more sentimental towards his early wives whom he married before he ascended the throne. Out of the 5 who joined him in his burial mausoleum, Consort Ling is the only concubine he took in after he became an Emperor. 

Same with me. Once I'm interested in something, I will always search here and there to find more info about it. Just like before when I was so into Empresses In The Palace. 

And with Yanxi Palace, I'm so keen to know more about Consort Ling. 

------------

With the Chinese link, I used google to translate and its the same about her funeral. 

I read before that Consort Ling's funeral almost the same as the funeral of an Empress, that why I looked for it and found the article. Although a bit confusing to understand at first but quite informative and interesting to learn more about Ling.

Ling quite lucky among all QL's concubine/ consort. Being honor from the start till the end. First 10 yrs, although she was childless during that period, still she got promoted few ranks faster (a sign she's favoured by QL). Another 10 yrs, she bore QL many children in quite a short time one after another ( again a sign she is QL's favourite). Then again next 10 yrs, she was elevated to the highest ranks despite she started as a maid compared to the other QL's women that time. I read that Consort Shu enter the palace earlier and still alive that time also, if I'm not mistaken. Not to say, she was buried next to QL, a space he left empty and at the end he let Ling took that space. Next 20 yrs after her death, still she got privileged when QL make her an Empress Xiaoyi. I read QL's grandfather, Emperor Kangxi also has an Empress named Empress Xiaoyi.

Yea added Chun to make the person belong to him, that why I asked Cedric why QL did not added Chun when he given Ling the title Empress Xiaoyi earlier. Since her char Chun added by Jiaqing. And Cedric explained, need a few years to added the 'Chun'.

That why I'm more interested in Yanxi compared to Ruyi. Although there was some doesn't make a sense like how the servant behave toward the emperor or Fuca suicide etc but still we can get a picture or storyline same as when we read the history. In Ruyi, we knew that Ling was given a slow death but in history she was honoured. Its contradict.

Fuca is still irreplaceable and the most loved and favoured by QL and Ling's position probably second after Fuca in QL's heart.

Yes I kinda noticed that too and I mentioned about it when I found out QL wrote poems for Gao and the info about the tombs and who was buried with QL from Cedric in previous pages. I probably views his sentimental feeling towards his early wives as a respect to them for being with him from where he just a Prince until he became an Emperor.

Although most of QL's women that was buried with him were his secondary consorts before he became an Emperor and there was a record all of them being favoured by him but still he didn't placed them near his tomb. Also there was a few consorts he got after he became an Emperor that was favoured by him like Consort Rong/Fragrance Consort, Consort Chun etc but they didn't get a place to be buried with him. And Consort Ling the junior among the early wives got placed to the space next to his tomb. I think this is very special since he let the space vacant and when Ling died, he let Ling to be specially next to him. Cedric explained before the arrangement of tomb supposed to follow the sequence of death. Ling, the last one died among other but the closest been buried to QL.

But with Consort Ling, she was known being favoured by QL and from this I can tell although QL favoured many women other than Ling, still Ling the most favourite one among all (except Fuca). 

Anyway, based from what I read, while Consort Ling started off as a maid, though not a general maid but a maid directly assigned to serve concubine or empress, thus she received some training from Empress Fuca because QL already fancied her?

Where did you read that? I only read she was a maid but was not directly received training from Empress Fuca. Because Fuca leads the harem so all female maids under her management. She supervised them through the senior female maid. Remember in Yanxi, forgot which ep but the scene where YL set up a trapped to Prince (?). She was caught having an affair with royal guard then, since she's a maid, the decision to punish her decided by the Empress Fuca.

Quite interesting to know if Fuca trained her because of QL. 

Now I am digging on Haolan since we have YL and QL in that drama too and that history is pretty interesting also.

I'm started already. I search for Lu Buwei, Empress Dowager Zhao and the Emperor. 

I wonder in history about Haolan/ ED Zhao's son is really a Lu Buwei'son not Yiren. And she also have 2 illegitimate child's with Lu Buwei. 

Cannot wait to watch. Its too late because the drama will air a year later in Nov 2019. I'm afraid if it didn't well receive later. The hype of Yanxi/ YL & QL still become the talk among viewers....they should make the drama airing now.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, harooxxx said:

Where did you read that? I only read she was a maid but was not directly received training from Empress Fuca. Because Fuca leads the harem so all female maids under her management. She supervised them through the senior female maid. Remember in Yanxi, forgot which ep but the scene where YL set up a trapped to Prince (?). She was caught having an affair with royal guard then, since she's a maid, the decision to punish her decided by the Empress Fuca.

Quite interesting to know if Fuca trained her because of QL. 

Haha. My bad. Could be that is the result from what I read directly via the help of our dear friend, Google Translate. Your interpretation probably is more accurate. Not directly trained by Fuca but since Fuca was the head of the harem, so indirectly received training/supervision as a palace maid. I read from a blog that in an elegy to Fuca, QL mentioned that Consort Ling had benefited from the 'education' offered by the empress, though the exact meaning of this is unknown.

8 hours ago, harooxxx said:

I'm started already. I search for Lu Buwei, Empress Dowager Zhao and the Emperor. 

I wonder in history about Haolan/ ED Zhao's son is really a Lu Buwei'son not Yiren. And she also have 2 illegitimate child's with Lu Buwei. 

Cannot wait to watch. Its too late because the drama will air a year later in Nov 2019. I'm afraid if it didn't well receive later. The hype of Yanxi/ YL & QL still become the talks....they should make the drama airing now.

This is off topic

Spoiler

The two illegitimate children of Empress Dowager Zhao were not from Lu Buwei but from an impostor eunuch, Lao Ai who Lu Buwei gifted to her to cover up his own affair with Zhao. Nevertheless, the real father of Ying Zheng is always questionable. 

And really, did they really announce that the airing date would be November 2019? My, that is like one year from now. Then, why the need to release the trailer so early? Anyway, FOX Group has acquired the rights for international distribution of Haolan, so chances are pretty good we are going to get English subs.

2 hours ago, lyserose said:

And really, did they really announce that the airing date would be November 2019? My, that is like one year from now. Then, why the need to release the trailer so early? Anyway, FOX Group has acquired the rights for international distribution of Haolan, so chances are pretty good we are going to get English subs.

This is also off topic, but I've now read that the air date is November 2018 -- I am not sure where to confirm it though.

Now, on topic: two of my favorite scenes are when QL is so happy about the hat YL made for him while pretending he isn't and that she's just bothering him when Hai Lan Cha calls him out on it & when QL so readily lies about how Er Qing died to protect YL, even though it's so clearly obvious that the lie is a lie (and the Step Empress has a look on her face equivalent to come on, seriously???). 

• Like 2

Regarding the burial, I always wonder what if the tomb next to his was originally meant for step-empress, but since the unfortunate incident had occurred, thus Consort Ling was buried there instead. Hence, there is an extra small coffin space (which I assumed was  initially for Consort ling) in Qianlong's burial chamber as posted by Cedric a few pages back. I also thought it was interesting how in every historical piece and drama, they always depict Consort Rong/Fragrant Consort as someone who was greatly favored by Qianlong, but she was not buried with him :o . 

Anyone who watched ep 70, did you guys notice the part when Qianlong was stepping closer to step-empress while she was holding the knife, Yingluo actually lightly pushed Li Yu away. I think Yingluo was thinking that in case step-empress tries to harm Qianlong, Yingluo would run out to shield him. <33 I just love how in that last episode, Yingluo's actions contradict Step-empress' claim of her being selfish and only loves herself haha. 

There was also one scene that was edited out of the drama which I really wished they would leave it. In episode 64, when Yingluo and Qianlong reconciled and Yingluo returned to Yanxi Palace. I tried to translate this to English to the best of my understanding haha and this is being taken from Lona Linh who translated the leaked script of the drama.

-------

Spoiler

During the night at Yanxi Palace:

Yingluo looks at the table filled with food, frowning.

Yingluo's Eunuch (Xiao Quan Zi): Mistress, the kitchen has specifically prepared these dishes for you

Yingluo picks up her chopsticks and asks: What are these? I want to eat Suzhou's pork stew!

Xiao quan Zi: Niang Niang... His majesty said, Suzhou's pork stew has too much oil, it's not good for pregnant woman.

Yingluo: I want to eat mixed vegetables.

Xiao Quan Zi: His Majesty said...this dish is harmful to the stomach.

Yingluo tries to endure a little more

She uses her chopsticks to poke the fish: "I order sweet and sour pork to accompany the fish, where is it?"

ZhenZhu: Niang Niang...His majesty heard that sweet and sour pork is fried and also uses a lot of sugar...too flavorful, so he crossed it off the menu. 

Yingluo, who is now annoyed: "Earlier he said he allowed me to have absolute authority to order any kind of food I want. What kind of "The king's words are to be taken seriously" (君無戲言) is this, Only has a slick mouth!":angry:

Xiao Quan Zi: Niang Niang, Please dont get angry, Because of you, his majesty has ordered...

Yingluo becomes depressed.

ZhenZhu pour some soup into a small bowl and hand it to Yingluo: Niang Niang, please drink some soup. 

Yingluo: I dont like Lamb soup!

Xiao Guan Zi: Niang Niang, last time wasnt it because His majesty saw that you had a bad cough, knowing lamb soup is a good treatment, so he forced you to drink up the entire bowl of lamb soup? 

Yingluo: In the end, are you my servant or his majesty's? :expressionless:

As we have seen in the drama, the next morning Yingluo ordered Xiao Guan Zi to go to Yangxin palace to tell the emperor if he still doesnt let her eat Suzhou's pork stew, she will go on a starvation strike and starve his child. 

I personally think its so cute how Qianlong personally checked and managed the menu for Yingluo daily. Not every pregnant concubine gets this kind of treatment :D 

Few years down the road, Qianlong still does the same. He ordered the kitchen to make lamb soup for Yingluo on the daily. And during ep 65 when the step-empress was offering to take some type of soup (the one she was drinking and supposedly it helps with recovering one's youth) over to Yanxi palace, Qianlong openly objected to the offer, saying that Yingluo is carefree and doesnt need to drink that type of soup. Qianlong is a truly caring and affectionate husband, who said he's a cold-hearted emperor :phew::wub:

There was also another scene of Yingluo visiting ChenBi's palace to eat breakfast with Qianlong there as well. Yingluo was trying to seduce Qianlong with her leg under the table, but he kicked her leg away :rolleyes: (He must have a lot of self-constraint) LOOL too bad the scene was edited out. 

Spoiler

For the Beauty Hao Lan, I read that it was going to air this upcoming November. And from the synopsis that was posted on the VN fanpage which was translated from Baidu ( Im not sure how accurate this will be) but apparently Lu Bu Wei and Hao Lan are going to be entangled in a love triangle with King Zhuangxiang. She was originally bought by Lu Bu Wei and they somehow team up to help King Zhuangxiang ascend the throne. Thus, Lu Bu Wei reluctantly gave Hao Lan to King Zhuangxiang. Not sure who fathered her son, but towards the end of the synopsis, when Qin Shi Huang wants to exile/execute Lu Bu Wei, Haolan begs her son to spare him. HaoLan and Lu Bu Wei return to where they first met and start over. 

Not sure how this gonna play out since the history of these characters are pretty controversial lol 

Ive seen the promotional pictures and behind-the-scene pictures for this drama, it looks like 80% of Yanxi Palace are returning!

I heard Qin Lan (Empress Fuca) and Fuheng (Xu Kai) were also invited but they couldnt participate in the production for some reason. Xu Kai was probably going to be casted as King Zhuangxiang. HAHA that wouldve been funny to watch since now Nie Yuan as Lu Bu Wei will have to stand on the side and witness King Zhuangxiang and Haolan being lovey dovey like how Fuheng had to experience Qianlong and Yingluo's relationship :P

• Like 1