[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Story of Yan Xi’s Palace 延禧攻略

sugarplum892

9 hours ago, pixiewhy said:

That is exactly the reason why i got so invested in them (forget the whole 'enemies to lovers' trope which is pretty popular in many stories) they were always equal intellectually and that was the most fun thing to see. And the fact that they weren't equals because QL allowed them to but because YL herself made them equal.

When comes to drama, some troupe definitely being recycled. And despite recycling this troupe, the creative writing team in Yanxi made it feels refreshing. It's not really that QL hates her, it's more that he couldn't accept there's a slave who dares to oppose him, thus intrigues him and stemming his interests. I say, this is clever writing. Almost every scenes between YL and QL are funny - be it when she was the misunderstood palace maid to the period when she becomes his woman. They are just adorably funny.

Indeed that is what happened. Many even asks "Why is he so obsessed with YL when he has so many women already?" it was as if many could NOT fanthom QL falling in love (for quite honestly the second time in his life) instead of agreeing to political marriages for his nation. I don't know maybe it was me who didn't mind him being petty (in some cases) because I am petty myself so it was funny too how YL always won on their personal battles even when he was petty.

QL himself recalled the message that his father implanted in him that as emperor, he could pamper his women but not love them. As in the case with YL, he fell in love, and yes for the second time in his life. And come on, he is an emperor. His upbringing shaping him into who he is. He is so used to be flattered, to get everything he wants, thus to me, he is allowed to be petty. 

There was also a lot of talks in the comments of Viki about how 'old' the emperor was and How Very Dare He to look at YL?! It was funny seeing people lie through their teeth calling Nie Yuan 'an ugly old man' and saying how much better Fuheng was like boy didnt literally introduced himself as the 'Not All Men' dude from the 1700s and sided with a rapist bc he Thought that is what YL needed. For me neither man was perfect, one just had more years and experience on political matters than the other.

Historically, Consort Ling whom YL is based on was 16 years younger than QL. Nie Yuan is 12 years older than WJY, thus their castings are perfect. Idc what others think but to me, NY is the most good looking Qing Dynasty's emperor ever and he is visually compatible with WJY. It's not abnormal that older man and younger woman got together, let alone during that period of time. And why the heck comparing NY against Xu Kai whom is 17 years younger than him? That's beyond logic. It's like comparing NY acting skill against Xu Kai, definitely won't make sense. 

But the show in itself it's a masterpiece and now together in my top 3 with My Mister and Goblin. :lol:

My Mister is my ultimate favourite (can tell from my profile pic :-)) but I don't watch Goblin.

This drama made me do so much research on Qianlong Emperor and his harem and it's glad to know that the real Consort Ling was so much loved by QL (in contrast with Ruyi which veered away from history) and her ascension in power was reflected nicely as in Yanxi.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2019 at 12:12 AM, Fanny Agusbrata said:

Anyone know...in what episode Ying Luo become Ling Fei? Because in the middle episode 49 Ying Luo called Ling Fei. Anyone know when the emperor gave the title Ling Fei for Ying Luo?

Episode 48. It was during the usual gathering of the frozen concubines at Step Empress' Palace (complaining about Qialong's excessive favours on Yingluo) when a maid was sent over to relay Qianlong's decree to promote Yingluo as Consort Ling (Ling Fei). 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lyserose said:

Episode 48. It was during the usual gathering of the frozen concubines at Step Empress' Palace (complaining about Qialong's excessive favours on Yingluo) when a maid was sent over to relay Qianlong's decree to promote Yingluo as Consort Ling (Ling Fei). 

I just watch again episode 48 and that's right...Ying Luo become Ling Fei in that episode. Thank you for the answer :)

• Like 2

I really miss this drama. I was on team QL. I think their personalities suited eachother alot more and they are a blast to watch. Yan Xi Palace and Story of Minglan is the two best historical dramas i've watched in quite a while and i'm a sucker for happy endings :D. I'll probably rewatch this drama soon, but the empress story arc is really hard to watch.

• Like 3

Hi I just finish watching the drama. I am YL and QL shipper. There were times when I hate YL for being so manipulative of QL and angry when she crushed him and tell him she just used him for his revenge.  And I called QL jerk,  old bald man whenever he ignored YL when she was being bullied by palace people. But aren't they adorable together, sometimes  I got butterflies in my stomach watching their scenes. QL is just oozing with charisma. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I finally decided to watch this series this week, I can't believe I finished it in 5 days!

The cast did an amazing job I must say. I was reluctant at first because of the cast I admit. Not to mention I watched another drama based on the same characters(won't name any names) while my husband watched Yanxi Palace instead and my husband hates palace dramas usually. And while I watched the other drama in complete frustration, even wanting to drop it at times and just hated Qianlong so much, my husband was binge watching Yanxi like crazy always looking excited and happy to watch another episode. LOL! Oh the contrast! :D This exceeded my expectations. I really loved that Yinglou wasn't the typical palace drama protagonist that's such a soft, sweet damsel in distress at first and let's people walk all over her. I also like that her objective for coming to the palace wasn't love.

As much as I loved Yinglou, Empress Fuca had a special place in my heart, I cried bucket loads in ep.40. :(

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Just watched this drama last week and I have yet to watch another show, so obsessed am I with Story of Yanxi Palace. Love it so much. The strength of this show doesn't lie in it's storytelling, but the relationships. My favorite ones were Qianlong x Ying Luo, Ying Luo x Empress Fuca, Ying Luo x Ming Yu, Empress Fuca x Qianlong and Li Yu and Emperor Qianlong. Perhaps I am saying this because of my bias towards Ying Luo and Emperor, but I never saw the appeal in Fuheng and Ying Luo. They don't have the chemistry nor do I believe the depth in their relationship or the tragedy to them. And part of this has to do with Wu Jin Yan and Xu Kai not being that good in expressing romantic vulnerability. The better first love with tragedy is hands down Emperor Qianlong and Empress Fuca. Not only are Nie Yuan and Qin Lan phenomenal at acting, but they characters TRULY suffered (another thing that's lacking with Fuheng/Yingluo, I never felt the pain from both of them for not being together). The pain of losing your children, the lack of understanding between them made them so painfully perfect. and their relationship was also so believable. In my opinion I would have preferred a love triangle with Qianlong, Ying Luo and Rong Jin. Not only from The emperor's perspective, but also from Ying Luo. I don't like it how the relationship that Ying Luo had with Empress Fuca was swept under the rug in the later episodes. I would have liked to see the conflict in Ying Luo in her love for Qianlong and feeling guilty over it because she once promised Empress Fuca she would never be his Concubine. 

• Like 3

@Elegant Woes Don't worry, many prefered YL with QL and i am one of those. First instance of YL loving QL in my opinion is when she returns to the palace again after her revenge and being jealous of QL and the new consort and especially when she is willing to have his children. I think YL and QL complement eachother really well and it's with QL she is her true self. Fuheng doesn't really understand her personality while QL knows how to deal with her and vice-versa. I think that YL and QL truly understand eachother and are more on equal terms than YL and QL. Just my opinion. Seeing your post made me feel like rewatching the drama again :D 

• Like 1

Ive finally finished watching all episodes ! I have a question though - did YongQi die in the end from Dr Ye's treatment and the wrong bugs (swapped by YCW) ? In real life, history records (according to Wikipedia) says he died of tuberculosis at age 25 ...  and so which prince succeeded QL in real life ? 

Just curious :-) 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Elegant Woes said:

@sp17jcshipper I don't like Ruyi that much either. The show bashes three of my favorite characters in Yanxi palace: consort ling, empress fuca and the emperor. Besides the show is mad depressing. The main character suffers and suffers and eventually dies tragically. I have sworn off shows with bad endings. 

Yep, now am just hoping they can do a sequel on the 10 years we missed on Story of Yanxi Palace. It just went from WY saying she is pregnant to 10 years later. I would like to see what happened in those 10 years. How the king treated her when she got pregnant with all her kids and gave birth to the 2 princes. How the other Prince died also see when 7th princess was kidnapped what happened and all that. I really hope we can get that. But enjoyed both dramas released from this series so far