[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Story of Yan Xi’s Palace 延禧攻略

sugarplum892

4 hours ago, kyoko22 said:

Now I realize. Doesn't usually Empress Dowager call herself as 'Aijia'? Just like how Emperor call himself 'Zhen' and Empress as 'Bengong'. But in this drama, Empress Dowager didn't call herself as Aijia right? Is this because Qing dynasty didn't apply this type rule of how they call themselves? As I watch other dramas, imperial children call Emperor as Fuhuang but in Yanxi, they called QL as Huangama. Does anyone know?

Yes, you are right. Empress Dowager normally calls her self "Aijia" but actually it exits in dramas or novels more than in the really historical documents. Some explanation from the internet say that this word was created and largely used in the Chinese operas in the old time. In the Qing Dynasty China was ruled by the Manchu people. A lot of greetings and titles in that era were all using Manchu language. i.e. Huangama: Huang is Royal, Ama is father. Huang EhNiang: Huang is Royal, EhNiang is mother. In ep4, the first encounter of Fuheng and YingLuo, Fuheng said you should not look down on men, the imperial guards are all warriors. Actually Fuheng calls the warriors BaLongTu, which is also a Manchu word. 

• Like 1

@nnnju Thank you for your explaination. Yes, now i realize, those EDs who call themselves Aijia in the dramas and novels that i watch and read, the stories are fiction, not based on real history. 

Same goes to Huangama or ama. It is interesting to know that the ama word is a Manchu word. Somehow, this makes me appreciate more on how detail the script referred to the real history.

• Like 1

Happy Belated New Year everyone.

Would like to thank @kyoko22 for the book link.

The book is really close to the drama. But I love this part in the book on Chen Bi's arrest.

When Empress Dowager wanted to arrest YL, QL stood up for her. He even took all the blame on Chen Bi's case and say it was his idea and has nothing to do with YL, and begging Empress Dowager to leave YL alone (in the book QL actually kneel down to his mother for the favour). When the Empress Dowager asked QL does he love YL, he admitted to his mother that he love YL. In the book it also mention how the Empress Dowager was shocked that QL would admit his love and she didn't even dare to look into QL's eyes when he admitted as she was afraid of the depth of love QL has for YL will be reflected in his eyes. And the best part was  YL  overheard his admission too.

And YL was so touch by QL. YL did mention to QL she is ready to carry a child for the person she love.

So in the book they actually did confess their love to each other.

There are also some finer details in the book that shows how attentive QL was to YL..but I shall not ramble, but thank you for the book link.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, heychumi said:

The book is really close to the drama. But I love this part in the book on Chen Bi's arrest.

When Empress Dowager wanted to arrest YL, QL stood up for her. He even took all the blame on Chen Bi's case and say it was his idea and has nothing to do with YL, and begging Empress Dowager to leave YL alone (in the book QL actually kneel down to his mother for the favour). When the Empress Dowager asked QL does he love YL, he admitted to his mother that he love YL. In the book it also mention how the Empress Dowager was shocked that QL would admit his love and she didn't even dare to look into QL's eyes when he admitted as she was afraid of the depth of love QL has for YL will be reflected in his eyes. And the best part was  YL  overheard his admission too.

And YL was so touch by QL. YL did mention to QL she is ready to carry a child for the person she love.

There are also some finer details in the book that shows how attentive QL was to YL..but I shall not ramble, but thank you for the book link.

woHOO.... thankyou so much to write about that, i'm QL x YL shipper hahhaa.. please write about them again which part didn't showed in drama if you have time ^^

• Like 2

6 hours ago, heychumi said:

I read via the link with the help of google translate.

I posted the same comment (a few pages earlier ) whereby in the book (and according the translation by google), both QL and YL confessed their love for each other.

But someone clarified to me that the translation was misleading, that they never explicitly confessed their love. 

Now I am confused since I can't read chinese, so everything I decipher based on the help of google translate. 

Anyway, the Public Library of Singapore will hold a discussion on this drama on the coming 21 January - comparing the drama characters with real life records etc and even invited 4 historical researchers as panels. Alas, the discussion will be in chinese, so don't know how much we can get the scoop out of it.

• Like 1

In addition, after empress dowager left the two alone. Qianlong was afraid that Yingluo would ask him for an abortion medicine, and became really happy when she confessed to him that although shes really scared of birth delivery, but she is mentally prepared to give birth to his children. Cuteeeeeee 

• Like 5

@minnieboogie you are most welcome.

Yes @ChloéR you are right in the book QL was so emotional at that point. It was him who made the first move to speak out that he love YL and he was so afraid that the love will not be return.

I also like the part when they were in QL study room, while YL was eyeing QL's dessert, they were both thinking of the same dessert. But QL knowing YL would want to eat the dessert which was meant for him, he purposely got it heated for her. That was also very sweet of QL.

@lyserose any idea if the discussion in the Public Library of Singapore will be recorded? Would love to listen to it and understand more.

• Like 3

I always tought Yuanming Garden is very far from Forbidden city and wonder how Yinglou can send fresh flower and moon cake to Emperor. Turn out to be, Yuanming Garden just 12 km away from Forbidden City. No worder, for a busy person like Emperor can go to Yuanming Garden so many time during the last year Yinglou was there. 

• Like 3

On 1/9/2019 at 8:35 AM, heychumi said:

@lyserose any idea if the discussion in the Public Library of Singapore will be recorded? Would love to listen to it and understand more.

Sorry but I have no idea if there will be any recording for this. 

On 1/9/2019 at 6:00 PM, kyoko22 said:

I always tought Yuanming Garden is very far from Forbidden city and wonder how Yinglou can send fresh flower and moon cake to Emperor. Turn out to be, Yuanming Garden just 12 km away from Forbidden City. No worder, for a busy person like Emperor can go to Yuanming Garden so many time during the last year Yinglou was there. 

I read that during the period of QL, the royal family's actual main residence is at Yuanming Garden and that the Forbidden City was only used for formal ceremonies.

I am quite interested to know if the concubines were also housed in the same manner as in the Forbidden City, with own respective palaces and so on. I know that Jiaqing Emperor (Yongyan) was born at Yuanming Garden whereas Consort Yu died at Yonghe Palace. 

These are just the pieces of infos that I picked from several source of reading.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lyserose said:

Sorry but I have no idea if there will be any recording for this. 

I read that during the period of QL, the royal family's actual main residence is at Yuanming Garden and that the Forbidden City was only used for formal ceremonies.

I am quite interested to know if the concubines were also housed in the same manner as in the Forbidden City, with own respective palaces and so on. I know that Jiaqing Emperor (Yongyan) was born at Yuanming Garden whereas Consort Yu died at Yonghe Palace. 

These are just the pieces of infos that I picked from several source of reading.

FYI - there will be no recording of this. If the English newspaper picks this up the next day, willl attempt to post it for you all.

Yes @ChloéR you are right in the book QL was so emotional at that point. It was him who made the first move to speak out that he love YL and he was so afraid that the love will not be return.

I also like the part when they were in QL study room, while YL was eyeing QL's dessert, they were both thinking of the same dessert. But QL knowing YL would want to eat the dessert which was meant for him, he purposely got it heated for her. That was also very sweet of QL.

There is a session here also. 

https://www.zaobao.com.sg/livestream/talk/story20190104-920533

Do u know which chapter/page of the novel it is for the dessert part? Would love to read it!  Find it very diff to find any missed out parts of the drama in the novel. 

I finally got the book via Taobao and am now inspired to start reading it after reading what some of you have wrote regarding the scenes in the book. I m sure the book fills in a lot of gaps that the tv show couldn't due to time and costs constraints. The bookset I got came with this booklet called "番外小冊" (spinoff stories, the white one with red banner across the width of the book) which contains two short chapters.

21831425715201_480_m.jpg

The first is Yuan Chun Wang's POV, part of this was written into the main script and was in last couple of episodes in the TV show. The 2nd chapter is about the 2nd generation: QL and WYL's eldest daughter Princess Zao Hua, Fuheng's son Fu Kang An, Zao Hua's fiance (Mongolian prince) and Hong Zou's daughter Si Wan. I read that this chapter was also filmed at the same time as the main tv show, and that there would be 6 episodes on this. Not sure when it will come out, but strange it didn't screen shortly after Yanxi finished its run, even though there were photos of the young cast and some of them also gave a short gist of the 6 episodes.

• Like 2

Can I just say I love this drama? :bawling::heart: I'm currently on episode 65 - only five more to go and I'll be done... What will I do myself after? *sniffles* Also, I'm part of the minority who ships WYL and FH. :-( Had it not been for QL, they would have been together. 

• Like 2

@Lunkera thanks for sharing. I'm sad knowing that I won't be able to read this beautiful novel in English. These kind of novel is quite hard to translate as they are involved with politics, to my understanding. But, I still hoping that in the future, someone will pick up and translate it for us. 

• Like 1