[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Story of Yan Xi’s Palace 延禧攻略

sugarplum892

Quick question. Since Yingluo became Imperial Noble Consort (more or less like an empress), does that mean her children are considered as the emperor’s principle sons and daughters (children born from the empress)? 

LOL :tounge_wink:    ep 33 ...."Did that nuisance leave ?  did she really ask MY if the emperor left...and calling him a nuisance ?  and another line in translation that has me rolling "It is not because the Emperor's poems are really outstanding " LOLLLLLL   this girl , where does she get this type of guts?     

Aslos Q??? to anybody still following this tread...when i originally watched , i had to fast forwards and somewhere is saw  a baby thrown into the river and some young woman saving the baby....was that out YL being thrown and her sister saved her ??? or am i totally off the base  and what ep was it in? 

34 minutes ago, jadore1 said:

LOL :tounge_wink:    ep 33 ...."Did that nuisance leave ?  did she really ask MY if the emperor left...and calling him a nuisance ?  and another line in translation that has me rolling "It is not because the Emperor's poems are really outstanding " LOLLLLLL   this girl , where does she get this type of guts?     

Aslos Q??? to anybody still following this tread...when i originally watched , i had to fast forwards and somewhere is saw  a baby thrown into the river and some young woman saving the baby....was that out YL being thrown and her sister saved her ??? or am i totally off the base  and what ep was it in? 

Actually the way Yingluo asked whether qianlong left yet is a lot funnier (more like devil than nuisance) LOL

and yep that was Yingluo that was thrown in the river because her father saw her as a cursed child who causes her mothers death. 

Speaking about it, Yingluo is a very lucky person. I think majority of the time she was able to escape punishments is not only due to her intelligence but the people who are protecting her intentionally or unintentionally. 

- In her household, she has her older sister protecting her. 

- At the embroidery department, she has Lu mama protecting her.

- Being a maid at Empress Fuca’s palace, she obviously has Empress fuca’s backing and Fuheng’s protection

- At the Bondservant place, She has Yuan Chun Wang protecting her

- When she became Qianlongs concubine, she has his ultimate protection 

- When Qianlong and her quarrel, she has the empress dowager protecting her lol

No matter at which phase of her life, she always has someone protecting her haha but if you really think about Qianlong is her ultimate protector. He protects her or should I say turns a blind eye to her doings from the beginning to the end (at times its out of his own free will too) xD

• Like 4

On 11/17/2018 at 9:00 AM, ChloeR said:

Actually the way Yingluo asked whether qianlong left yet is a lot funnier (more like devil than nuisance) LOL

and yep that was Yingluo that was thrown in the river because her father saw her as a cursed child who causes her mothers death. 

Speaking about it, Yingluo is a very lucky person. I think majority of the time she was able to escape punishments is not only due to her intelligence but the people who are protecting her intentionally or unintentionally. 

- In her household, she has her older sister protecting her. 

- At the embroidery department, she has Lu mama protecting her.

- Being a maid at Empress Fuca’s palace, she obviously has Empress fuca’s backing and Fuheng’s protection

- At the Bondservant place, She has Yuan Chun Wang protecting her

- When she became Qianlongs concubine, she has his ultimate protection 

- When Qianlong and her quarrel, she has the empress dowager protecting her lol

No matter at which phase of her life, she always has someone protecting her haha but if you really think about Qianlong is her ultimate protector. He protects her or should I say turns a blind eye to her doings from the beginning to the end (at times its out of his own free will too) xD

And I find Ming Yue somehow a lucky charm. 

All the mistresses that she had served ended up becoming Qianlong's favourites - Fucha, Consort Chun and ofc Ying Luo. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

On 11/16/2018 at 5:02 PM, ChloeR said:

Quick question. Since Yingluo became Imperial Noble Consort (more or less like an empress), does that mean her children are considered as the emperor’s principle sons and daughters (children born from the empress)? 

From my understanding, because she's not an actual empress (at least while she was alive), they would not be.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2018 at 6:02 AM, ChloeR said:

I think based on traditions passed down over the years, only the Empress' children will be considered as the direct/principle sons and daughters. Especially since the Empress was the official wife, one whom the previous Emperor and his Empress had chosen for their heir/crown prince. Most times, it was expected that the crown prince and therefore the next Emperor would be one of Empress' sons, if not her eldest son. Though there had been many incidents when this default situation didn't work or had to change.

Coincidentally, I received this Quora article in my mailbox right after I read your question: https://www.quora.com/Why-was-the-Emperors-successor-automatically-the-eldest-son-in-Chinese-Dynasties Quite a good read.

In any case, if based on Yanxi's plot and historical facts, while the Step-Empress had a son (the 12th prince I guess), and if we would to follow traditions, this son should be QL's principle son. However, his heir to the throne was WYL's son instead, though QL abdicated in favour of this son and also to keep to the promise that his reign would not be longer than Kangxi's. I think by then, the number of options he had as his heir were only a few. And given that he also loved WYL, I believe he would also have made sure her children would have extra care and gave special coaching to her son for the goal of taking over the country and throne one day.

I think in any case, QL felt the best way to protect WYL/Ling Huang Gui Fei would be to have her own son become the next Emperor, so that when QL passed on, her son would have to protect her and take care of her well too. Of course, in the end, she passed on before QL did. 

Read somewhere that she actually had 6 kids (3 boys 3 girls, one boy passed away) and not four. Some sources insisted she had 6 while some said 4, so not sure which is the truth. Anyway, out of the 2 remaining boys, only Yong Yan (15th prince) became his heir and hence JiaXing Emperor, but his brother wasn't well-liked by QL. Wonder why... I guess, even if he wanted to give them special treatment since he loved their mum so, QL was also not too bias to think all her kids are angels. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think she had 6 kids but was pregnant for 7 times :O

while she was consort ling, she bore: 

- princess hejing (1756)

- yonglu (1757)

- princess heke (1758)

- miscarriage at 8 months (1759)

as noble consort ling 

- yongyan (1760)

- unnamed son (1763)

As imperial noble consort ling

- yongling (1766)

holy... thats like consecutive birth deliveries. :scream:

Poor Yingluo, this is probably Qianlong’s payback for when she took the anti-pregnancy medication LOL he knows no chill 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

@housetangaryen Based from my read, there were only 2 princes that QL had chosen to inherit the throne before Yongyan. There were Fuca's son Yonglian and after that, the 5th Prince Yongqi. Ultimately, both chosen successors died early.

While Consort Qian did became an empress and boring him two sons while tenuring as an Empress, none of her sons were ever considered as heir to the throne. 

@ChloeR According to a chinese friend who told me her read up in weibo, QL kept company of Consort Ling even when she was on confinement. To think that a consort could not serve the Emperor's basic needs (ehem!) during that period and still he stayed by her side that entire time really showed the deep love he has for her. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Ever read one analysis...note it is not records just speculations. In dramas u often see how the consorts would nag at the emperor about their sons whenever he visited them..esp when the son wasn't liked. And the emperor would be turned off and left.

For Consort Ling, one son remained not well-liked while the other was only moderately well-liked...yet her relationship with Qianlong never went wrong...so speculated that she was really understanding, she probably never meddle much into the father-son relationships. And he liked her for that.

• Like 3

Issue I have with historical records, particularly China ones, are that lots of info were written from the men's POV, whether it's through poetry, or actual written factual records that read more like incident reports, or from some other important official's opinion. It's hard to figure out what the women's voice was like, unless it was implied through these records passed down through ages. I would think it strange it there wasn't an actual feminist or two who would try to do things differently in a very male-dominated or even male-chauvinistic society. There had to be some lady who could have thought and saw things differently, even if the reason for that "wokeness" would be one of seeing how things were so unfair towards the women in those days. But then again, we wouldn't really know, history, as much as we try, can still be biased.

Still it is through Yanxi, that I found myself reading more into the chinese history, and especially in Chinese. Something I wouldn't have done normally :)

• Like 2

I’m sure there were probably some women who stood up and voiced their opinions about their patriarchial society and the injustices that came with it. However, because it is a male-dominated as well as a very conservative society, I can see why there isnt much historical record from a woman’s pov. Their work probably got suppressed from publication by men who thought that it might threaten the long-standing notions of patriarchy and women’s subordination. 

But I do enjoy Yingluo and other female casts throwing shades at the patriarchial system here and there throughout the drama xD

• Like 2

I read that total all Qianlong's early wives before he enthroned were 8 women...

Empress Fuca, Consort Xian, Consort Gao, Consort Chun, Consort Zhe and who are the other 3 women? Anyone know?

And among them 8, only 4 of them were buried with him together...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------@

On 11/19/2018 at 5:31 AM, ChloeR said:

I think she had 6 kids but was pregnant for 7 times :O

while she was consort ling, she bore: 

- princess hejing (1756)

- yonglu (1757)

- princess heke (1758)

- miscarriage at 8 months (1759)

as noble consort ling 

- yongyan (1760)

- unnamed son (1763)

As imperial noble consort ling

- yongling (1766)

holy... thats like consecutive birth deliveries. :scream:

Poor Yingluo, this is probably Qianlong’s payback for when she took the anti-pregnancy medication LOL he knows no chill 

Lmao...so Consort Ling was pregnant for 7 times...wow...where did you read this..i didn't know she had miscarriaged, no info about this on wiki.

On 11/19/2018 at 9:19 AM, lyserose said:

@ChloeR According to a chinese friend who told me her read up in weibo, QL kept company of Consort Ling even when she was on confinement. To think that a consort could not serve the Emperor's basic needs (ehem!) during that period and still he stayed by her side that entire time really showed the deep love he has for her. 

I also think Qianlong really has a deep love toward Consort Ling.

Hardly for the Emperor to accompany his consort who couldn't serve him. Most of the time as what i watch in drama..the emperor only stop by and visit his consort for a brief moment then leave.. and go to the consort who can serve  and fulfill his needs.

So if it true Qianlong really chose to be by her side during those time means, there were more than just "serving his needs" between them. Probably Ling is a good listener to him and easy to talk and share anything. Men always need and depend on someone who can listen and understand them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------@

Qianlong wrote lots of poems for Fuca but none for Ling despite all the info we read about how he doted on Ling so much. I guess that, all the memories he had with Ling enough for him to remember her that there is no need to tell how he feel on poems. All the attention he gave on someone he deeply love probably enough for them to understand each other feeling. 

Unlike with Fuca, theyve been separated by a sorrow and bittersweet memories. How he regret on not realizing Fuca's serious condition and brought her on trip thus leads to her death. Fuca also not happy when she left the world because of losing her son. Seems like he regret because he not done much for her when she was still alive. So he pours all his feeling on poems.

• Like 2

On 11/20/2018 at 7:02 PM, Sejabin said:

hi I am watching ep 3 now and already like this drama xixixxii :relieved: btw female lead is too thin.. 

Hi there.

Read that the lead actress Wu Jinyan lost 8kg for her role in Yanxi. According to the producer Yuzheng, she asked him how he viewed WYL and Yuzheng said WYL is supposed to be not pretty and malnourished and so she lost weight to fit that description. And according to some readings, palace maids especially the general maids (not serving directly under any palace/ concubine) are normally malnourished, thus it's understandable for her to shed off those kilos.

4 hours ago, harooxxx said:

I read that total all Qianlong's early wives before he enthroned were 8 women...

Empress Fuca, Consort Xian, Consort Gao, Consort Chun, Consort Zhe and who are the other 3 women? Anyone know?

And among them 8, only 4 of them were buried with him together...

The other 3 are Consort Jia, Consort Yu and Consort Wan (not featured in Yanxi).

Consort Yu and Wan generally not so favored judging that when he was enthroned, the two ladies were only given the title of Cangzhai (the second lowest rank) and sadly, these two ladies lived very long lives yet neglected.

Consort Yu at least had Yongqi whom is QL's favorite son but she was gradually neglected after his death. Even sadder is Consort Wan. Despite becoming QL's concubines before he ascended the throne, she was only promoted to Imperial Concubine (Pin) in 1749 (Consort Ling who entered the harem much later was promoted to a "Pin" the very same year she was made a concubine in 1745) and held that rank for FOUR DECADES before being promoted to a Consort (Fei) in 1794. She outlived QL.

Lmao...so Consort Ling was pregnant for 7 times...wow...where did you read this..i didn't know she had miscarriaged, no info about this on wiki.

There's a recent updates on wiki. Yes, she was pregnant for 7 times, with 5 times consecutively. 

Qianlong wrote lots of poems for Fuca but none for Ling despite all the info we read about how he doted on Ling so much. I guess that, all the memories he had with Ling enough for him to remember her that there is no need to tell how he feel on poems. All the attention he gave on someone he deeply love probably enough for them to understand each other feeling. 

Unlike with Fuca, theyve been separated by a sorrow and bittersweet memories. How he regret on not realizing Fuca's serious condition and brought her on trip thus leads to her death. Fuca also not happy when she left the world because of losing her son. Seems like he regret because he not done much for her when she was still alive. So he pours all his feeling on poems.

Like we joked about before, maybe QL never wrote her a poem because just like WYL in Yanxi, she outspokenly said that QL's poems are not good. LOL.

I agree on what you said about his feelings for Fuca which he well-documented it in his many poems to her. There's a lot of regrets over that little time they shared together. With Consort Ling, despite the absence of poems, his actions spoke very well of his affection towards her. 

Anyway, just an extra info to share based on the latest wiki updates. Not only Empress Xiaoyi (Ling) was added the title "Chun" during the reign of Jiaqing Emperor (which led to speculations and theories that it was added by her son who became the next emperor) but Empress Xiaoxian (Fuca) was also only added the title "Chun" after QL's death. So both are recognized as "his".

• Like 5

Does anyone know why Consort Ling's first daughter (Princess Hejing) was made a First Rank Princess (Gulun Gongzhu), which is usually reserved for daughters of the Empress (for example, Fuca's only surviving daughter was Princess Hejing (different jing character) of the First Rank), while her second daughter (Princess Heke) was made a Second Rank Princess (Heshuo Gongzhu), reserved for daughters of consorts & concubines? 

It doesn't really matter, but I was curious!

I know that Qianlong's last daughter (Hexiao) was also made a Gulun Gongzhu despite not being born of an Empress, but she was his favorite daughter, so I understand that aspect.

@Cedric Ong maybe?

• Like 1

I also read it somwhere that when A concubine is to attend to emperor, they have to be carried in a blanket to his palace and leave after the business is done (1 hr limitation) . Emperor is not allowed to stay overnight at a consorts palace due to security reasons. Is this true? Because in Yanxi, we constantly see Qianlong always coming to Yingluo’s palace and staying overnight while other consorts who serve him (ie. consort Shu has to be carried to his chamber). 

In Yanxi, I like how Qianlong always go back to Yingluos palace right after hes done with work. Yanxi is like his home, a place that he returns to after a tiring day. It shows that hes not only going there for basic needs. 

• Like 1

I finished ep 34 on youtube., :heartbreak: heartbreaking end of romance for   YL and Fuheng  . I loved the way she tells him how she listened to everything that he said...she did not dare hope or agree or disagree with his promises, but in her heart she believed them . I love the way she spills her truths to one and all , no matter what the consequence .  Even in todays society, if i can count maybe 10 people with that type of bs meter and go for the truth jugular, i would be impressed.   If  Consort Ling had even 10% of our YL i can see why poor QL does not stand a chance .  I am also developing a protective crush on QL...what a shock for a young man , just budding in youth and love, and to have his grandfather kill his first love , almost made me go and give him a hug. Poor guy.  So for him to start feeling any type of attachment would be like tearing the years off the wound from his youth.   The irony of sending his (we find out most beloved )  to do the dirtiest hard labour imaginable and for her to still exist , i have no idea what kind of angels or divine guardians she has.  When she described the wet conditions of the wood shack where she sleeps, so bad that it would even rot a wooden toy , and yet she persists . How ? What kind of will power is that ?   Did he hear what kind of place she sleeps in, does he see how thin and malnourished she has become ?   Is that the reason for his anger and  curses at her for not defending herself against  his punishment or his desire to have her beg for mercy .   Another excellent episode that has me going hmmm  and my total  support for our YL . :heart:

30 minutes ago, jadore1 said:

I finished ep 34 on youtube., :heartbreak: heartbreaking end of romance for   YL and Fuheng  . I loved the way she tells him how she listened to everything that he said...she did not dare hope or agree or disagree with his promises, but in her heart she believed them . I love the way she spills her truths to one and all , no matter what the consequence .  Even in todays society, if i can count maybe 10 people with that type of bs meter and go for the truth jugular, i would be impressed.   If  Consort Ling had even 10% of our YL i can see why poor QL does not stand a chance .  I am also developing a protective crush on QL...what a shock for a young man , just budding in youth and love, and to have his grandfather kill his first love , almost made me go and give him a hug. Poor guy.  So for him to start feeling any type of attachment would be like tearing the years off the wound from his youth.   The irony of sending his (we find out most beloved )  to do the dirtiest hard labour imaginable and for her to still exist , i have no idea what kind of angels or divine guardians she has.  When she described the wet conditions of the wood shack where she sleeps, so bad that it would even rot a wooden toy , and yet she persists . How ? What kind of will power is that ?   Did he hear what kind of place she sleeps in, does he see how thin and malnourished she has become ?   Is that the reason for his anger and  curses at her for not defending herself against  his punishment or his desire to have her beg for mercy .   Another excellent episode that has me going hmmm  and my total  support for our YL . :heart:

That girl Wan Er (can't recall the name) is not QL's first love. She is QL's maid and her mom is his wet nurse. And Wan Er was not killed by his grandfather (Kangxi Emperor), instead by QL's father (Yongzheng Emperor). Accordingly, QL's first love is Fuca. 

QL's anger at YL for not defending herself is actually coming from his insistence to hear YL telling him that there was nothing going on between her and Fuheng even when he knows the actual truth. He saw them together with his very own eyes but he still choose to be in denial, thus holding on to the last hope that YL would deny it. He was also angry that she is too headstrong - willing to undergo all those sufferings instead of sweet talking her way out. QL is the petty kind and pretty childish when comes to love.

• Like 1