[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Story of Yan Xi’s Palace 延禧攻略

sugarplum892

26 minutes ago, ChloeR said:

Regarding the burial, I always wonder what if the tomb next to his was meant for step-empress, but since the unfortunate incident happened, thus Consort Ling was buried there instead.

In real life, the step-empress died before Consort Ling. So if QL's intent was to have her buried beside him, he would have done so. So I don't think he wanted her buried there. Lots have been written about how he reduced her role and position and how he punished officials who dared request for a fairer record of her in history. His anger never abated even after many years. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lyserose said:

Not directly trained by Fuca but since Fuca was the head of the harem, so indirectly received training/supervision as a palace maid. I read from a blog that in an elegy to Fuca, QL mentioned that Consort Ling had benefited from the 'education' offered by the empress, though the exact meaning of this is unknown.

What I understood after reading/researching is that Consort Ling entered the palace as a maid, not a lowly maid but a lady-in-waiting. For women in the palace, every maid/lady-in-waiting is fair game for the emperor. He has the  right to select any he fancies to join his harem. Those whom he selected will then undergo 'training' by the empress and other consorts and will go on a 'probationary term' before being officially confirmed as a concubine. The key to this is WHO trains which concubine. QL had a lot of love and respect for Fuca empress. He assigned Consort Ling to be trained by her directly while the other potential concubines are trained by other concubines in the harem. Remember that both in real life and in Yanxi, Ling did not have a good education, having come from humble beginnings (this is something she constantly reminds the emperor about). To bolster her education in the fine arts, palace etiquette etc is the role of the 'trainers'. So for Consort Ling to receive training from Fuca, you know that it was likely that QL wanted Fuca's worldview to rub off on Consort Ling as well. In Yanxi, Yingluo also received education from Fuca who taught her to read/write/paint etc. So there are tiny differences but it is true that Yingluo was 'groomed' or 'trained' directly under Fuca. Also to add, it is significant that QL Yingluo to be groomed by Fuca when she could have  gone to any other concubine. It suggests that from the beginning, he was already very fond of her. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, dramanoob8818 said:

In real life, the step-empress died before Consort Ling. So if QL's intent was to have her buried beside him, he would have done so. So I don't think he wanted her buried there. Lots have been written about how he reduced her role and position and how he punished officials who dared request for a fairer record of her in history. His anger never abated even after many years.   

wonder what happened? what did Step Empress do ? I am curious now... could be an affair with the brother?? In the movie it was hinted ..???

5 hours ago, believed said:

This is also off topic, but I've now read that the air date is November 2018 -- I am not sure where to confirm it though.

Now, on topic: two of my favorite scenes are when QL is so happy about the hat YL made for him while pretending he isn't and that she's just bothering him when Hai Lan Cha calls him out on it & when QL so readily lies about how Er Qing died to protect YL, even though it's so clearly obvious that the lie is a lie (and the Step Empress has a look on her face equivalent to come on, seriously???). 

Speaking of Er Qing, I am still dissatisfied that until the end, there was no clarification whether YL knew or not that the supposed "night spent" with QL was schemed by Er Qing and QL was trapped. This is the redundant part of the plot. When she argued with QL, YL even referred to Er Qing as QL's lover when in fact, there was never any love affair between them.

One of my fave scenes of QL is when they all caught Chen Bi's tangled up in her own web of lies. When Chen Bi finally realized that QL been suspecting her, he said in front of everyone that YL is not the kind of person who would harm someone thoughtlessly. Even YL herself was startled by QL's defense and impression on her. And I also love the scene where he pettily threw the umbrella at YL in the rain. When he came back to get her and found her not there, he was clearly upset to know that Consort Gao had abused YL and since he could not be seen punishing his own consort over a maid, he picked a fault on her usage of cow milk for bathing, just to get back at Consort Gao for mistreating YL.

3 hours ago, ChloeR said:

Regarding the burial, I always wonder what if the tomb next to his was meant for step-empress, but since the unfortunate incident happened, thus Consort Ling was buried there instead. Hence, there is an extra small coffin space (which I assumed was  initially for Consort ling) in Qianlong's burial chamber as posted by Cedric a few pages back. I also thought it was interesting how in every historical piece and drama, they always depict Consort Rong/Fragrant Consort as someone who was greatly favored by Qianlong, but she was not buried with him :o . 

I have the same thoughts too and rightfully, Step Empress would have resided there since she was an Empress that is ofc until she fell out of grace. Even then, we do not know either if Consort Ling would be positioned at that small vacant space no. 7 or would she be moved nearer to his coffin. Suffice to say, after Consort Ling, seems like he had no other favorite that he wanted to join him in the main tomb and would rather leave the plot vacant.

Regarding Consort Rong, as @Cedric explained before, she is a Muslim and QL made an exception for her and her coffin or tomb (not sure) was in-scripted with Quran verses. Guess that was why he didn't place her in the main tomb. My curiosity on Consort Rong is that, since was reported to be greatly favored by QL, I am curious on her ranks. If I wasn't mistaken, she ranked lower than Consort Shu and she made it as far as being a "Fei" only.

Anyway, thanks for the translation on the deleted scenes. Then again, I would not want to watch YL attempting to seduce QL in the presence of Chen Bi only to have him kicking her leg. I was heartbroken enough watching those "fell out" episodes between them. Haha.

Spoiler

It would be great news if Hoalan to be released in November this year, hopefully not next year. But WJY has another drama, Zhaoge which I think she filmed earlier than Haolan but still not airing yet. 

Regarding Haolan...  Yes, she was sold to Lu Buwei and then he gave her to Yinren. The three collaborated to make Yinren a king and after Yinren's death, Lu Buwei resumed his affair with DEZhao/Haolan. According to history, he died of suicide and she was imprisoned by her own son. So, I don't know how they could make Hoalan and Lu Buwei returned to where they met and starting over. And with the presence of Lao Ai, I am sure the drama is to stretch as far as the death of Lu Buwei. But then, as for this drama, seems like Mao Zejun who played Yinren got higher billing than Nie Yuan when in fact, Nie Yuan rightfully will appear longer since his character died much later. 

Thankfully they couldn't get Xu Kai to play Yinren, otherwise the love triangle saga between these three will never end. Not to mention that I am going to suffer watching QL being transported back to the past as a merchant instead of an emperor and watching his YL, no longer his concubine wedded another man. Haha.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sharonfu18 said:

wonder what happened? what did Step Empress do ? I am curious now... could be an affair with the brother?? In the movie it was hinted ..???

In history, Hongzhou never rebelled against the emperor. He had always stayed away from the battle for the throne even before QL ascended the throne. That rebellion by Hongzhou in Yanxi was purely fiction.

Nobody knows what Step Empress did that incited the wrath of QL till he could not forgive her. His official reason was that she cut her hair (though nobody knew whether she actually did or not) which is a grave faux pas, equate to cursing the emperor and dowager. Her fell from grace is so abrupt and rapid that it remains a mystery until now.

As @ChloeR pointed, there's a possibility that left space was meant for Step Empress, if only that hair cutting incident didn't happened. Rightfully, she should be the one who resided that position since she was a living Empress. But then, she fell out of grace, thus QL gave that position to Consort Ling who he greatly favored and promoted as an empress long after her death.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lyserose said:

Haha. My bad. Could be that is the result from what I read directly via the help of our dear friend, Google Translate. Your interpretation probably is more accurate. Not directly trained by Fuca but since Fuca was the head of the harem, so indirectly received training/supervision as a palace maid. I read from a blog that in an elegy to Fuca, QL mentioned that Consort Ling had benefited from the 'education' offered by the empress, though the exact meaning of this is unknown.

This is off topic

Reveal hidden contents

The two illegitimate children of Empress Dowager Zhao were not from Lu Buwei but from an impostor eunuch, Lao Ai who Lu Buwei gifted to her to cover up his own affair with Zhao. Nevertheless, the real father of Ying Zheng is always questionable. 

And really, did they really announce that the airing date would be November 2019? My, that is like one year from now. Then, why the need to release the trailer so early? Anyway, FOX Group has acquired the rights for international distribution of Haolan, so chances are pretty good we are going to get English subs.

I couldn't find the article about the drama on air in Nov 2019 anymore. Forgot what blog....but..

All I read the drama is set to release in Nov 2019. And the filming already finished in last April. 

Even in Nie Yuan's wiki-tv series info also set the drama in 2019.

And here in this article also mentioned http://worldscreen.com/tvdrama/fox-networks-group-asia-to-rep-the-legend-of-hao-lan/

"The series will debut for Chinese and worldwide audiences next year".

3 hours ago, dramanoob8818 said:

For those living in Singapore, I hear that Yanxi has gone to DVD with english subs and will be available from Friday onwards at Poh Kim outlets. Not sure how true this is. :grimace:

I've heard this too, but not where it was being sold. I hope it'll be available internationally or someone will find a way to upload the subtitles online.

One of my fave scenes of QL is when they all caught Chen Bi's tangled up in her own web of lies. When Chen Bi finally realized that QL been suspecting her, he said in front of everyone that YL is not the kind of person who would harm someone thoughtlessly. Even YL herself was startled by QL's defense and impression on her. And I also love the scene where he pettily threw the umbrella at YL in the rain. When he came back to get her and found her not there, he was clearly upset to know that Consort Gao had abused YL and since he could not be seen punishing his own consort over a maid, he picked a fault on her usage of cow milk for bathing, just to get back at Consort Gao for mistreating YL.

I love both of those scenes too! Clearly my tell is "little instances that show how well they know each other" and "QL doing dumb things that really show how much he cares about her."

Anyway, thanks for the translation on the deleted scenes. Then again, I would not want to watch YL attempting to seduce QL in the presence of Chen Bi only to have him kicking her leg. I was heartbroken enough watching those "fell out" episodes between them. Haha.

SAME! On the one hand, I'd love to see more scenes because I want more of this show... on the other, just that picture linked earlier in this thread where QL & CB walk past YL in the sedan chair upsets me. But I'd definitely take more of hte happy scenes, so thank you @ChloeR for translating the scene in ep 64!!! If they wanted to do a release of all those deleted scenes... I could never say no ;) 

• Like 1

On 9/29/2018 at 1:30 AM, Cedric Ong said:

About their coffins. Qianlong was buried in Yu Ling/mausoleum with Fuca on his right, Ling on his left....others include Gao, Jia and another less-known Zhe (also surname Fuca, but not related to Empress Fuca). So there are 6 (QL + 5 ladies). One extra space was empty.

Hide contents

v2-5d0a416d70a88154d8111d5c3192f976_hd.j

Ref to below : 6 is Jia , 5 is Zhe, 3 is Ling, 1 is Qianlong, 2 is Fuca, 4 is Gao.

v2-a1e09c124c8ebd91a74ebc3a3a782891_hd.j

Interestingly it's speculated Qianlong had left a space besides him for Ling. 1st the coffins were confirmed by experts that they were never moved. Ok, Empress Fuca was naturally reserved on his right. Then we look at their time of death.

Info from here :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qianlong_Emperor#Family

Qianlong (1799)

Fuca (1748)

Ling (1775)

Gao (1745)

Zhe (1735)

Jia (1755)

Ignoring Fuca empress....the rest besides Ling all died long before her....and already held" Imperial Noble Consort" (either alive or posthumously) at their time of death....while Ling was probably only "Noble Consort" during their period. Yet they weren't placed nearer to the Emperor's coffin (which is fixed at the centre). So the guess is Qianlong already thought very highly of Ling at that time. Even before her 1st daughter (b1756) and son (b1757).

Of course it's just speculation. Maybe Qianlong just left a space knowing someone but not necessary Ling would be suitable later. Anyway in the end, she took that space in actual history, nobody else. Even position 7 which is empty, he never put anyone in.

Experts just find it unusual b'cos usually they (all same ranking) would fill up the space by sequence of death (except the Empress). 

Chinese article :

https://zhuanlan.zhihu.com/p/43856428

Since in the recent topic here mentioned about the main tomb and 'the empty space beside QL' so I just wants to add on....lol with my theories.

* after Cedric explained about this before I also have a thoughts that the empty space probably QL left it for SE since she was the only living Empress after EF. It just too bad the dark incident happened. Then Consort Ling took that spot since she is the highest rank consort as an Imperial Noble Consort and the 'acting Empress' that time. 

* QL let no 3 spot on his left for SE first then later for CL since both of them were the leader of the harem during their respective period. Since no.2 reserved and fixed for his 1st Empress (Fuca) so he wanted to reserved no 3 for his other Empress. Be it SE, CL or other. 

* CL became QL's concubine in 1745 the same year Consort Gao died. From the history records, she seems to be favoured by QL start from the very beginning so maybe like Cedric explained before about the speculation QL left that space for Ling is TRUE.

And....

The sequence of QL's wives death :

Zhe (d.1735 - no.5)

Gao (d.1745 - no.4)

Fuca (d.1748 - no.2) 

Jia (d.1755 - no.6)

Ling (d.1775 - no.3)

No.2 fixed for Fuca. If QL reserved no.3 then the other spot should be fill following their death from 4-5-6 but actual arrangement in the main tomb is from 5-4-6. Zhe died first shouldn't she be at no.4 then Gao at no.5?...and could it be no.7 was meant for Step Empress actually, there is a possibility if she didn't become an Empress..

I think the placement of QL's wives in their respective tombs is how he valued them individually and personally. He probably valued Gao more than Zhe that why Gao at no.4 and Jia could be a little bit less valued by him compared to the other that why she at no.6. Maybe.....

........ and if we look at the arrangement, QL already reserved the no.3 spot even when Fuca was still alive (years before her death in 1748) and also no one know at that time whether Step Empress will be an Empress or not right?  (especially Step Empress was chosen to be an Empress later was not by QL's decision but by Empress Dowager. QL even postponed her promotion).

So we can assumed QL never thought of appointed SE to be an Empress before Fuca's death and the suggestion by ED was made only after the death of Fuca. Also since the other 2 wives died earlier than Fuca and he didn't place them near him but from there we can tell the spot no.3 already been reserved by then.

If QL reserved no.3 after Fuca death/SE already an Empress, I'm sure 100% confident for SE but it was already reserved  start from 1735 when he made Zhe to be placed at no.5 by skipped no.3 & no.4.

So maybe like Cedric said before QL left that space without knowing who deserved to be there but at the end Ling took that space.

@lyserose "My curiosity on Consort Rong is that, since was reported to be greatly favored by QL, I am curious on her ranks. If I wasn't mistaken, she ranked lower than Consort Shu and she made it as far as being a "Fei" only.

I also curious about that too before..i have checked she only promoted to the third rank/a consort only. Although she was known greatly favoured by QL but her ranks not that high. So in my view, QL was attracted to her appearance (she smell nice and quite a beauty) but not highly think of her. More like she just an accesories for him lol....

----------------------------------------------------------------------

i re-watch ep 33-34 when Fuca was in coma. I think the main reason QL keep on going to Chang Chun Palace actually because he wants to meet Ying Luo and not intend to visiting Fuca.  At first he went to see Fuca later when he found out YL was there and the next day he went straight to see YL first at the back.

After that, the next visit he couldn't do so because Er Qing came in between when he was about to ask Ming Yue about YL. Thus he direct to see Fuca and only after ER told him YL also in Chang Chun, he went to see her only to find out YL & Fuheng were together.

** EQ said she will tell YL about the good news but what is it? QL wants to make her concubine or let her take care of Fuca? Later when Li Yu asked QL then he threw the announcement decree (?) away...

@harooxxx I also thought the same when I watched those episodes! Well maybe the first time he visited, he truly wanted to see Empress Fuca. However, the following visits, it seems like he wanted to see/talk to Yingluo. 

Story of Yanxi Palace tries to make it seems like Qianlong truly loves Empress Fuca (so that it complies with history), but I still think Qianlong's true love is Yingluo. For instance, when Empress Fuca was alive, Qianlong was no doubt an affectionate husband but he still wandered around from one concubine to another (like the incident with Consort Chun coming into favor), even got his eyes on Yingluo. Later on in the story when he fell in love with Yingluo, I feel like he was more devoted and has eyes only for her. Even ChenBi's extreme beauty/"innocent" personality couldnt get his attention. I understand that he have to sleep with his other concubines since hes an emperor but the way he favored his concubines in the beginning of the drama is quite different from how he did it in the latter part. OR maybe it just me reading too much into it xD

OR MAYBE Yingluo is just his second chance at love after losing Empress Fuca. Qianlong probably learned how to love and cherish the person he loves this time around.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, harooxxx said:

I also curious about that too before..i have checked she only promoted to the third rank/a consort only. Although she was known greatly favoured by QL but her ranks not that high. So in my view, QL was attracted to her appearance (she smell nice and quite a beauty) but not highly think of her. More like she just an accesories for him lol....

Based on wiki...she was a fourth ranked consort. And based on some info that I picked up from other blogs, she entered the palace at the age 27 and only became a favorite of QL at the age of 35.  I read that she won QL's favor because he found her to be different especially her horse riding skill since it was rare to find that skill in women those days. Also, she was known to be the most beautiful concubine of QL. 

20 hours ago, harooxxx said:

i re-watch ep 33-34 when Fuca was in coma. I think the main reason QL keep on going to Chang Chun Palace actually because he wants to meet Ying Luo and not intend to visiting Fuca.  At first he went to see Fuca later when he found out YL was there and the next day he went straight to see YL first at the back.

After that, the next visit he couldn't do so because Er Qing came in between when he was about to ask Ming Yue about YL. Thus he direct to see Fuca and only after ER told him YL also in Chang Chun, he went to see her only to find out YL & Fuheng were together.

** EQ said she will tell YL about the good news but what is it? QL wants to make her concubine or let her take care of Fuca? Later when Li Yu asked QL then he threw the announcement decree (?) away...

I agree on this. Before he came to Changchun Palace, he did asked LY about the time. It was clear, he noted the time he stumbled upon YL the night before and so purposely visited Fuca around the same time, in hope to cross path with YL again. His first question when arriving at Changchun was asking about YL and went straight to the backyard to meet her before he went to see Fuca. It was the same in episode 26 when he was furious upon learning Fuheng's intention to marry YL. Again, he made an excuse going to Changchun to visit Fuca (who was sleeping) when actually, his eyes were wandering around searching for YL.

On the bold question....

When QL visiting Fuca, he told her that he has decided to forgive YL and he hope that Fuca would wake up from her coma upon hearing this good news. He said he will allow YL to return to Changchun and serve Fuca. QL also said, this time around, he would allow YL be carefree and not restricted by strict palace rules.

The decree is about him forgiving YL and allowing her to return as Fuca's lady in waiting.

Just a little background on the above.... the night that he went to the backyard and had a long conversation with YL, he was touched by the things she said. The next day, he saw YL doing lawn clearing at his palace early in the morning. He thought about her and told LY that he found himself to be too strict on YL and so decided to forgive her and let her return to Changchun. QL said he wanted to tell YL personally about this so that he could see her grateful face. Well, it happened that he chanced upon the lovebirds, became madly jealous, thus threw away the decree.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ChloeR said:

@harooxxx I also thought the same when I watched those episodes! Well maybe the first time he visited, he truly wanted to see Empress Fuca. However, the following visits, it seems like he wanted to see/talk to Yingluo. 

Story of Yanxi Palace tries to make it seems like Qianlong truly loves Empress Fuca (so that it complies with history), but I still think Qianlong's true love is Yingluo. For instance, when Empress Fuca was alive, Qianlong was no doubt an affectionate husband but he still wandered around from one concubine to another (like the incident with Consort Chun coming into favor), even got his eyes on Yingluo. Later on in the story when he fell in love with Yingluo, I feel like he was more devoted and has eyes only for her. Even ChenBi's extreme beauty/"innocent" personality couldnt get his attention. I understand that he have to sleep with his other concubines since hes an emperor but the way he favored his concubines in the beginning of the drama is quite different from how he did it in the latter part. OR maybe it just me reading too much into it xD

OR MAYBE Yingluo is just his second chance at love after losing Empress Fuca. Qianlong probably learned how to love and cherish the person he loves this time around.

In history, Fuca is known to be QL's true love. It's a known fact but at the same time, it's because he wrote poems mostly about Fuca even at old age. Idk if I overthought the whole things or maybe my thinking already clouded by the fictions depicted in Yanxi, but there's always an element of regret when comes to losing someone that early. You always thought you are not capable to love another person the same way or more than you have ever loved the one that already gone. Sometimes, perhaps your love for the other person could be bigger but you refused to acknowledge it for fear of tarnishing the idealism that the deceased one is your true love. Haha. I hope I don't complicate anyone's thoughts here.

And I especially dislike reading some comments (from other blogs) that YL is a replacement to Fuca. I don't agree on this. In Yanxi, YL and Fuca aren't similar characteristically except sharing the same values. On this, I agree with you. YL is QL's second chance at love and who said that the second person you love cannot be your true love? If based on Yanxi, I say Fuca is QL's first love whereas YL is his true love. In reality, well, we do not actually know except for his many poems...thus Fuca is his first and true love.

• Like 5

@lyserose

My bad yes fourth rank..but i didn't know he had eyes on Rong because of her riding horse skill. I only know he favoured her because of her beauty and her body odour.. but as much he favoured her still he didn't promote her to more higher ranks.

----------------------------------------------------

@ChloeR

I wish there will be a subs soon. Sometimes i didn't understand the very little things QL did in the drama..like what @lyserosesaid in ep 26, he came over to see Fuca who was asleeps but his eyes wondered around to look for YL. If lyresose didnt mentioned this, i wouldn't notice it. After that i immediately  back to watch ep 26.

I only understand when scene in ep.33-34 after i watched over and over...but it quite obvious his intention coming over to Changchun only to see YL (except the first visit, it was clear to see Fuca). 

-----------------------------------------------------

Yes the drama makes him loves Fuca dearly (even in deep sadness over the death of Fuca's childs) but in later episode seems like he completely forgotten about Fuca since he is so inlove with YL and tried hard to win her heart. You got a point about QL's devotion there during Fuca's and YL's. Remember when he tried to force YL to sleep with him and at that time Fuca is just woke up from coma. And during a time Fuca's pregnant, he was so happy with the news because finally he will have a child again with Fuca but on the other hand he already fall in for YL and wanted to have YL by offering  himself to YL indirectly (refer to the scene he ordered  YL to change his clothes. It's different when YL already become his woman, instead he used Chen Bi to win YL back. After they get back together, the other women are no match with YL because QL have eyes only for her.

In my personal opinion, in drama Empress Fuca is QL's first love and YL is his true love  and in history i truly think that Empress Fuca is QL's first love (maybe true love) but Consort Ling is his second love. 

In history they regard Empress Fuca as QL's true love because he wrote many poems for her until his death. So historican concluded she is his true love. But you look at the history, QL also wrote poems for Gao but none for Consort Ling (Cedric mentioned after i asked her before) eventhough Consort Ling known was favoured more than Gao. I read that mostly of his poems more like he feel regret and longing for her(?).  For some reason, i feel that feeling regret for someone cannot be interprete as love...missing maybe. Fuca probably the most nice woman he ever met and losing her make him feeling empty and so he wanting to meet her again. Thats why he wrote poems for her a lots. For example, you have a very close male friend then later you found a guy who you fall in love and get married with him and at the same time you will feel empty because your male friend drifting apart from you...thats how it feel as the way i see it..hahaha 

----------------------------------------------------------

i find it quite interesting with the differences of QL's character in early part and the later part. Early episodes, he was so like an Emperor should be then in later episodes he is more like a lover. I don't how to explain this but i can see the different/ changes with QL when Fuca is still alive and after YL became his concubine.

• Like 3

@harooxxx yess! I'm so glad i'm not the only one who sees the character development in Qianlong xD (sometimes I think im too QianlongxYingluo bias) The earlier part of the drama depicted Qianlong's affection towards his concubines as an obligation (with the exception of Fuca). The whole doting on Consort Chun was because I think she played hard to get for a while so I guess he likes the chase (same thing with Yingluo). But later on when Yingluo becomes his concubine, he constantly visits her. Even at times when she doesnt welcome him lol Thats why all his other concubines complain that ever since Yingluo entered the harem, it feels like theyve been shoved into an ice box. 

Also, someone mentioned before in this thread that it seems like Yingluo sometimes underestimates Qianlong's love for her. I agree with this. Especially after their first night together, she told Mingyu that Qianlong currently only sees her as a new toy, it's still a long way to enter his heart. But I think she's already in there lol. Personally, the way i see is that even if she didnt plot her way to his heart, Qianlong wouldve still fallen for her. But it's nice to see Yingluo's negative perception of men (specifically Qianlong who she thinks is cold-blooded and lecherous) slowly turns positive. And Qianlong's casanova personality slowly turns into a devoted, one-woman husband ( I am aware that he still have to sleep with others, just that his attention and affection are solely for Yingluo).  ^__^

-----------

I found this clip on Youtube <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9wSWSsmlq0>, Im not sure what the interviewer asked Wu Jin Yan regarding QianlongxYingluo couple, but Wu Jin Yan started to sing the chorus of the song "Little Dimples" by JJ Lin ft. Charlene Choi.

I was wondering if the interviewer ask Wu jin Yan to sing a song that describes the relationship of QianlongxYingluo, if it is then this song is pretty spot on hehe :wub: [PLEASE DO CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG]

Translated lyrics for the song 

Spoiler

I'm still looking for someone to rely on and to hug
Who would pray for me?
worry for me?
Be angry for me and fool around with me?

Happiness starts to look likely in the future

Fate lets us slowly get close together
and then loneliness disappears
Boredom is filled with conversations
Changes are happening

Little dimples, long lashes
These are your most beautiful trademarks
Every night I cannot sleep

Missing your smile
You don't know
how important you are to me

With you, life is perfectly complete
Little dimples, long lashes

irresistibly mesmerizing
I slowed my steps
it feels as if i'm drunk
I finally found you

The wonderfulness of a heart-to-heart connection
a lifetime of warm goodness
I will love you forever, from now until you're old

PS: 

Have you guys ever wondered why Qianlong look so shocked/surprised when he is informed of Yingluo's pregnancy? I think its because in the novel, there is a scene where Chenbi drinks the permanent anti-pregnancy medicine to frame Step-empress, but from that incident she also tries to hint Qianlong that she got the herbs from Yanxi Palace (implying that Yingluo continues to take the birth control meds). With that she made Qianlong become suspicious of both  the Step-empress and Yingluo. Thus, upon finding out that Yingluo is 3 months pregnant, he was taken aback for while. Qianlongs so cute. This scene was apparently got edited out too :/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yes agree, I also do agree with @ChloeR on YL underestimating QL's feelings for her. I remember the scene when she was under heavy rain and QL gave her his umbrella. After that, QL actually went back to the garden to look for YL but she already left the garden. And YL also never knew that QL wanted to release her back to Fuca (before QL saw YL and Fuheng). So I guess YL was not able to tell that QL already have some sentiments for her.

Also does anyone remember that there was 1 scene when (YL was still serving her punishment as a maid) when QL saw Consort Chun at the gazeboo. I wonder if QL was actually on his way to visit YL but was just waylaid by Consort Chun?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, believed said:

@lyserose if you get a chance, would you be able to translate the scene in 48 right before YL gets promoted to Ling Fei where all the consorts and concubines are complaining about her?

Sure :)

Spoiler

Prior to that scene, Zhen Er made a remarks that YL is the most troublesome concubine of all since she is the only one who dared to intercept QL's visits to others.

When the concubines gathered, they complained about YL having QL all to herself, thus leaving them all abandoned.

1) Consort Shu said, one time QL picked her name plate but on the night of the supposed visit, he rushed to Yanxi palace upon hearing that YL was sick. Step Empress defended YL, explaining that YL never reported that she was sick to QL. Instead, QL overheard about Yanxi palace summoning a physician and so he went there, worried that YL was unwell. Consort Shu still maintain that YL intercepted his visits more than once, thus deemed intentional.

2) One of them complained that YL cosplaying as a concubine from Yuan Dynasty (?) and QL was seduced. She mentioned that a concubine should have good character traits, and not to model concubine like Yang Gui Fei who tempted the Emperor and led the nation to destruction.

3) Someone also complained about YL's attempt to try carving plum fruit? She plucked out all the fruits from the tree and QL was very excited to see the outcome of her carving. Somehow, her attempt was unsuccessful so YL sent wine made of plum to QL instead. The concubine said, even with that underwhelming outcome, QL was very happy for the gift (wine) that YL sent him.

4) Consort Qing was the only one defending YL. She said, YL made soaps out of flowers and gave them to the maids and she found YL very creative.

5) Consort Shu again said, the most annoying thing is that YL insisted for QL to hang her painting with the praying mantis (the one that she painted with QL in episode 48) in his study room and again, QL complied to her demand.

6) Consort Chun tried to appear unaffected and criticized all of them for picking on YL when they themselves have no capability. So, she showed off her grace speaking about the tribunal gifts in the harem which she suggested for Step Empress to sell. SE praised her maturity and told the other concubines to model after Consort Chun.

And ofc after that, the maid came to deliver QL's decree that YL been promoted to a "Fei" and Consort Chun was gritting her teeth in silence. 

4 hours ago, harooxxx said:

I wish there will be a subs soon. Sometimes i didn't understand the very little things QL did in the drama..like what @lyserosesaid in ep 26, he came over to see Fuca who was asleeps but his eyes wondered around to look for YL. If lyresose didnt mentioned this, i wouldn't notice it. After that i immediately  back to watch ep 26.

I only understand when scene in ep.33-34 after i watched over and over...but it quite obvious his intention coming over to Changchun only to see YL (except the first visit, it was clear to see Fuca). 

Watching with subs definitely made you feel like you have missed out a lot of things. With my rusty mandarin, I could catch the conversation but only after watching with subs made me not only confirmed what I understood earlier but gave more nuance to it.

Tbh, QL did a lot of petty stupid things because of YL and almost all the time, YL could see through his silly action. For example, he totally ignored her when she first became his concubine. But then, he went to visit Dowager Empress everyday which actually masking his true intention to see YL who paid DE a visit on daily basis. When YL found out that she's been visiting DE for more than a month and MY pointed out that QL still not taking any interest in her, YL immediately called in sick and stopped her visit to DE. Not surprising at all, QL became curios since he didn't see her around, affected by her absence and finally made a move to claim his dream girl. For the most part, the scenes between QL and YL, especially their battle of wits and mind games are always the funniest and least of all boring. Guess that's why I love them so much as a couple. They are simply cute together.

2 hours ago, heychumi said:

Also does anyone remember that there was 1 scene when (YL was still serving her punishment as a maid) when QL saw Consort Chun at the gazeboo. I wonder if QL was actually on his way to visit YL but was just waylaid by Consort Chun?

He didn't know where he wanted to go. Initially, he intended to go to Changchun (maybe he thought there was high probability YL could be there?). LY suggested that he went to imperial garden since he has taken bribe from Consort Chun to get QL there. She was already in his thoughts (since he asked LY and DS about her) and it happened that the rain and the garden reminded him of YL. I believe at that stage, QL still refuse to believe his feeling for YL... more like the heart wants to look for her but the right mind said he should not. The funny this is, he spent that night with Consort Chun and the next day, happily told LY to bring his favorite chess set to her place and that he would visit her again after work. But then, when he found out Fuheng still longing for YL, QL became mad again that he forgotten about his instruction to LY and threw away his chess set. In conclusion, Consort Chun was just a mere distraction to his uncertainty at that time.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, ChloeR said:

Have you guys ever wondered why Qianlong look so shocked/surprised when he is informed of Yingluo's pregnancy? I think its because in the novel, there is a scene where Chenbi drinks the permanent anti-pregnancy medicine to frame Step-empress, but from that incident she also tries to hint Qianlong that she got the herbs from Yanxi Palace (implying that Yingluo continues to take the birth control meds). With that she made Qianlong become suspicious of both  the Step-empress and Yingluo. Thus, upon finding out that Yingluo is 3 months pregnant, he was taken aback for while. Qianlongs so cute. This scene was apparently got edited out too :/

A little question on this...

Is it CB tried to frame YL and SE for tricking her into consuming the anti-pregnancy medicine? So, it's like giving an impression to QL that they don't want to let him have children with CB? Another thing is, why CB need to frame YL consuming the anti-pregnancy medicine when she knew that QL not likely sleeping with YL since she fell out of his favour already at that time.

The most shock response from QL that I could suspect is the possibility that QL may thought that the baby belongs to Fuheng. 

• Like 1

At that time Chen-Bi realized that the step-empress wanted to target her so she used this method. She wanted to assure the step-empress that she wont be able compete with the empress for the position cause she wont be able to give birth (she brought a bottle of anti-pregnancy medicine and gulped it down at the spot). The step-empress panicked and asked her servants to stop Chen-Bi and ordered doctors to come. Then, Qianlong came. Obviously, chen-bi succeeded in making Qianlong become suspicious of if the step-empress’ true personality (since she always appears as virtuous). Qianlong then asked where did she get the herbs/meds from, chen-bi’s servant reported that chen-bi got it from yanxi palace (Chen-Bi added extra herbs in to make the birth-control med into sterilization med). Although, qianlong decided to burn the med/evidence directing at Yanxi Palace (cause he doesnt want yingluo to get in trouble with empress dowager) but he became even more uncertain of Yingluo’s true feelings. Im not sure if Chen-Bi knows whether Qianlong and Yingluo sleep together but i think her motive is to make Qianlong think that he really is nothing to Yingluo (by making it seems that Yingluo is continuing with the birth-control). Because at this point, Chen-Bi already knew Qianlong is crazy about Yingluo and them two are even “collaborating” to get Yingluo to openly admit her feelings. By making Qianlong even more suspicious of Yingluo’s love , it will be easier for Chen-Bi to set up the whole affair btw Yingluo and Fuheng. But also note that with this incident, Yingluo lets down her guards against Chen-Bi because Chen-Bi told Yingluo that she did this for the both of them so that the step-empress will stop making things difficult for them both (fearing either one will get pregnant and threaten her empress position).

Qianlong was informed of Yingluo’s pregnancy after the elopement chaos and the two somewhat “reconciled” at Yangxin palace, so I dont think his shock response was due to him thinking the possibility of the baby being fuheng’s. I thought of it as it more of him being shocked because for the whole time he truly believed that Yingluo continue to drink the anti-pregnancy med  (as set up by Chen-Bi) in addition to Yingluo’s confession about her not being ready to give birth, so the pregnancy news definitely came to him as a big surprise. ^__^

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1