Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

@lilyphenix ..kamsahanida for the clarification in the first two questions...I believe we are at the same page about EC's state of mind and that is why I was not that curious earlier on..but I was a bit taken back by this one forum site which questioned on the logic, even more when the article seemed to be a bit sceptical with KES's direction of the drama.... I think what you have explained sums up EC's character very well..thank you chinggu!!...

As for the second question, I agree on your assessment about Gunner Jang balancing between his hatred towards the one who started all this and his love for his country. And now it makes more sense to me..kamsahanida again chinggu.. I think I can understand now why he is more receptive of EC as compared to the others, even helping EC and AS out despite he knew these two might or might not be together. I dont think he blamed EC for not standing for Joseon since in EC's mind, Joseon has long abandoned him and his family. Similar to Gunner Jang. The only different is that Gunner Jang was in the war, he witnessed how his countrymen were being tortured etc. He kinda get it why fighting for the country comes first before any avenge plan. And I think, he will be the only one supporting the OTP..

As for the third question..it's ok I guess.. I think I need to rewatched again to understand AS's state of mind..or I hope in the next 8 episodes, this will be explained. Knowing KES, chances are we might understand AS's motivation probably in the coming 2 -3 episodes..For now, I will leave to the idea that AS did hesitate but since she was trained not to succumb to her personal feelings, despite her obvious remorse to the request by the potter. So I guess that is why there was lacked of emotion on her part as she was aiming her gun to EC. But all those emotions come back to her when she met him again at the apothecary, hence the hug..

Edit:  Just finish watching the latest episode (may contain some spoilers), I thought the comfort scene between AS and EC is already depressing enough, tonight's episode is even more...:dissapointed_relieved:..Although, I like the part that the OTP seemed to try their damn hard to assure themselves that they will meet again, I doubt we will see any of those sweet scenes we have been provided with after this. And even worse, the eclipse at the end of today's episode symbolises the more heart-wrenching scenes we are going to see in the next episodes.. and I am too scared to watch next week's eps...The preview breaks my heart and for the first time, I am wishing against all wishes that all the characters will not die, even though earlier on I do expect some tragedy will happen..but now, i dont want that anymore... I hope the one about DM is just a teaser. Please KES, dont break our hearts anymore. Only 8 episodes to go and I want to see all of them come together to save Joseon, jeballl...

@mistergenie and @rubie...thank you too for the insights chinggu..as usual, love the takes you guys have on all the scenes

@Ahpheng..as usual chinggu..your C-strips are da bomb!! Should make a book for all the strips...

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

That moment when Eugene kneel before AeShin to help her wear shoe, i cried like a dog.......

Both of them are so good in acting i swear they gonna sweep lots of award later.  The eye, the vocal, the body language......hands down best drama ever...it literally rip your heart open and put it back to where it belongs repeatedly...

• Like 14

i still have to watch today ep...great characters ,very well written ...i so hope they will all survive and fight for their country...my heart breaks knowing what will happen to JOSEON!

• Like 10

Man.. this drama likes to torture the main couple.. one sec we’ll be given a dreamy date etc and then rightaway, we’ll be presented with tears and heartaches... sigh... :huh:

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Source: DDOBOJA

Mr. Sunshine Roundup: Episode 15 + 16

0003850771_001_20180825223439507.jpg

Original Source (OSEN via Naver): "I made up my mind to do something very bad"..'Mr. Sunshine' Byun Yo Han decides on marrying Kim Tae Ri

Ratings for Episode 15: 12.893% (cr. Nielsen Korea)

1. [+1911, -21] I hope the "something very bad" he's talking about is something we're all wishing for  

2. [+1858, -16] Oh my, the journalist is sincere
↪ [+115, -0] They wrote down all the quotes that you can't even hear......

3. [+910, -26] It's probably going to be him deciding to break off the engagement... He's going to make her into a flawed woman...

4. [+720, -19] Byun Yo Han was crazy in today's episode

Spoiler

0003553919_001_20180825223619131.jpg

Original Source (news1 via Naver): "I made up my mind to do something very bad" 'Mr. Sunshine' Is Byun Yo Han going to go forward with his engagement with Kim Tae Ri?

1. [+631, -14] It's (fun) to the point where you don't know how time is passing.....

2. [+408, -4] From how I see it.... I feel like Kim Hee Sung is planning on going all out so that he can be the one who gets shitted on....

3. [+323, -9] ㅠㅠ I caught the goddamn second lead syndrome again 
↪ [+52, -1] "Nice to meet you, I'm Kim Hee Seung"

4. [+239, -7] This drama is seriously really fun. 

5. [+215, -7] My heart hurts so much because of Hee Sung. If it wasn't for the grandfather, he wouldn't been a romantic, handsome oppa who likes useless things. His heart has a lot of baggage.... Sigh ㅠㅠ 

20180827_1.jpg

Original Source (Sports Chosun via Naver): 'Mr. Sunshine' Lee Byung Hun ♥ Kim Tae Ri, sad reunion "I want to see you throughout all four seasons"

Ratings for Episode 16: 15.023% (cr. Nielsen Korea) 

1. [+2184, -35] ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ Save Dong Mae

2. [+1102, -32] If they just kill off Dong Mae then they really have no merit. He didn't even work in the righteous army and if he just dies in episode 17 after getting shot then that's really a waste of the character ㅜ Save him

3. [+902, -82] Lee Byung Hun's eye gaze acting tightly grasps the drama's flow

4. [+769, -18] Wow it was really pretty in the palace 

5. [+697, -29] Wasn't today's episode a legendary episode? What was with the chemistry in her imagination scene.. Anyways, someone please save our Dong Mae ㅠㅠㅠ

6. [+289, -8] Once again, I would like to thank the independence fighters who fought in the heart-wrenching history     

Source: StarNews

Spoiler

• Like 10

Episode 16 was solid!  Preview :(

Nielsen Ratings:

Episode 1   7/7/18       8.852%

Episode 2   7/8/18       9.691%

Episode 3   7/14/18    10.082%

Episode 4   7/15/18    10.567%

Episode 5   7/21/18    10.835%

Episode 6   7/22/18     11.713%

Episode 7  7/28/18      11.114%

Episode 8  7/29/18      12.330%

Episode 9  8/3/18        11.695%

Episode 10  8/4/18      13.534%

Episode 11  8/11/18    12.792%

Episode 12  8/12/18    13.399%

Episode 13  8/18/18    13.327%

Episode 14  8/19/18    15.626%

Episode 15  8/25/18     12.893%

Episode 16 8/26/18       15.023%

Source

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Havent got the time to watch the latest ep but saw scenes of the eclipse scene and I was stunned, reminded me so much of Scarlet heart. Dongmae is really similar to 4th prince .... 

Death coming soon :tears:

Taeri look pretty in American clothes. The director is really very good in scene set up and lightings.

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

So, my prediction was close. It's just imagination! Still waiting for the ep 16 sub. I think it's really late today. The longest wait for Mr. Sunshine sub so far :crazy:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, skinnyjeans said:

So, my prediction was close. It's just imagination! Still waiting for the ep 16 sub. I think it's really late today. The longest wait for Mr. Sunshine sub so far :crazy:

I downloaded English subs from subscene and watched the episode. They were uploaded there more than 3 hrs ago.

• Like 3

A few thoughts after Ep.16:

- Ae-Shin's a lucky girl. Three great guys are ride-or-die for you, going all out to protect you. Love it.

Hee-Seong is really kicking butt this week. He can't fight physically, but he is sharp. Love that he's going to start publishing newspapers, it's perfect. (Chicago Typewriter!)

- Love Grandpa Go. Turns out he's the true head of the Righteous Army! I love how everything he does is to make sure Ae-shin lives. Sending her to Gunner Jang to train her as an assassin, betrothing her to Hee-Seong, and will (eventually) let her be with Eugene. She is the apple of his eye, and he will make sure she survives. Awww.

Which bring me to question - what about Ae-Soon? Does Grandpa know that his other granddaughter is married to an absolute piece of trash who treats her like garbage? And he is helping sell out Joseon? Pay attention, dude!

- Speaking of which, WAN-IK. So hateful, so evil... Such a great actor. (Kim Eui-Sung)

• Like 11

This is the very first time i've ever post something in soompi forum. 

I've followed a lot of kdarama forums before just to follow all the dramas that i've watched. 

But seriously this drama is beyond everything. 

I just can't keep myself from sharing what i've felt through this drama. 

I guess this drama is the only one that can make me feel like this,maybe there'll be no other can beat this. 

The love between EuShin reminds me of Romeo & Juliet, so beautiful yet sad. 

LBH & KTR were the perfect choices by KES to play these roles. 

We don't need to see excessive skinship to feel their love. They showed the purity of their love by eyes, smiles, tears, teasing each other, sacrifices. This OTP really changed the perception of romance for me. 

The other characters also well played by YYS, LMJ, BYH. 

For me, EC was the most Joseon people in Joseon, even though he was never considered as a Joseon person. 

I can see why he is the one and only Mr Sunshine. 

But i'm curious about the imaginations of the three men with AS. 

Why the imaginations of DM and HS became reality but for EC it is just a dream. 

It's really painful and not fair for him. 

Oh my god, I still got a lot to say but i just can't describe how this drama affects me. 

I'll just keep repeating watching the happy scenes till i meet my sunshine this saturday. 

• Like 9

Still in the turmoil that is called episode 15 and 16.

New article about end of shooting for Lee Byung-Hun, from http://news.nate.com/view/20180827n11966?mid=e1200&modit=&modit=1535334040

[Exclusive] 'Mr Sunshine' Lee Byung-Hun, completed shooting early morning today(27th)... wrapping up 1 year journey.

201808270929779723_5b834c3973611.jpg

[OSEN=Park Jinyoung reporter] tvN Sat-Sun drama 'Mr Sunshine' shooting ends for Lee Byung-Hun finally.

From the article, most of other actors(YYS/BYH) are already done before LBH. Only KTR may need to shoot extra scenes. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, mistymorning said:

Still in the turmoil that is called episode 15 and 16.

New article about end of shooting for Lee Byung-Hun, from http://news.nate.com/view/20180827n11966?mid=e1200&modit=&modit=1535334040

[Exclusive] 'Mr Sunshine' Lee Byung-Hun, completed shooting early morning today(27th)... wrapping up 1 year journey.

[OSEN=Park Jinyoung reporter] tvN Sat-Sun drama 'Mr Sunshine' shooting ends for Lee Byung-Hun finally.

From the article, most of other actors(YYS/BYH) are already done before LBH. Only KTR may need to shoot extra scenes. 

Omoo.... only KTR need to shoot extra scenes?? Does it mean that all the three guys died and AS will eventually be a monk? :bawling: 

thanks to @jeffreyd015 and @mistergenie for the information. I use to watch online from dramanice/watchasians. Now I know what to do if they're late uploading the ep with sub!

Need to rewatch the 15+16 ep! 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote images, thanks! :)
  • Like 6

I get this nagging feeling that KES is setting up another grand stage for the ending in the last 2 episodes. She had done twice actually, in my opinion. In the early 1/3 of the drama, she set up the grand stage consists of back story of each character..the next 1/3,  she has set up another grand stage whereby she made us see how Lee Wan Ik is the mortal enemy of everyone and how everyone seemed to set aside their differences and help each other out (hence the boys club and girls club in action, which I love so much! :love:)..The next 1/3 will be the rebel movement. In the last episode, we have seen EC accepting to be part of the Royal Military, Gunner Jang as the Head of Security, HS as a newspaper editor (p/s it is a common setting that during the war, the newspaper played the most important role in relaying encrypted information), DM and his men already act ala CIA with their skills in torturing people to get the latest intel (and in this case the intel is very important for the rebel). Only Lord Go seemed to be in the dark, though he knows that somebody is already set to frame him but he seemed to be in dark about the rest of the details. I believe in the next 8 episodes, we will see all them comes together to set up the biggest rebel movement ever. And I think I've mentioned this before, I would love to see everyone stick their weapons on LWI for the final revenge..He started all this chaos and even arrogantly admit to it.

But, I am not elated with the Emperor and his minions. Although the Minister seemed to be on the rebel side, but he is very calculative and kinda reckless sometimes. If not for the rest of them, he would have made a lot of mistakes and could cause the rebel movement to cease just like that. Even if he knew that, he maintained his arrogance, thinking that he calls the shot..ughhh..

And then there's the Emperor..seriously, every time he appeared on the screen, I felt like screaming at him "Come on! Get Your Act Together! You Are the King!"..but then again, i kinda understand a bit since the time is not easy for him to rule..well, I will give him some leeway for that..but I hope in the next few episodes, he will not be the stumbling block to the rebel movement. I know he is part of the rebel movement but his inferiority complex really irritable sometimes.

But one thing I can say that, even if all the male characters did not have the intention to fight for Joseon, now they are all, sub-consciously doing so..

EC- even if he is not doing this for Joseon directly, he is doing it for AS because to him wherever AS is, it is his home. And to AS, Joseon is her home. Ergo, Joseon becomes EC's home too. Plus, he has made new friends, Do Mi, the interpreter, the pawnshop owners, even AS's assistance, Gunner Jang, the potter (even though he said he was disappointed at him. Heck, he even managed to secure a mountain for the potter. The deal with the Minister)  all of whom he kept acknowledging their roles in helping him to fit in Joseon. I believe, he will feel that he need to protect Joseon for them.

DM- well, same logic as EC, but actually he had shown many times he had Joseon at heart. The way he lashed out at the Japanese man who did not wear much (to him it is an insult to Joseon since this nation is big on modesty) and there was one time he admitted that he was also protecting So Mi and Do Mi, though they are not aware. Plus, I think since he was protecting Hotaru and Hina, both of whom got more respect by the Koreans than the Japanese, in a way, he would want to protect them in this homeland, rather than going back to Japan.

HS - well, he is given. Not only he tried not to be his grandfather, but he was pretty gentle with everyone around him, even the slaves. He is the gentlest soul among them all. Although he stayed away for 10 years, he could not resist to come back. AS might be his initial reason but I think as he digged more on stories like EC, he will have more reasons to protect Joseon

Aigooo..the whole drama is making my thinking hat working hard than ever..hehehe..plus, I need to vent this out after the heartwrenching episodes last night..huhuhu..need to stay positive..aja,aja,aja..Hwaiting!!

Anyway, the romance part for all the three male characters are actually what binds them together. Although only one can win in this romance battle, I got this feeling that the other 2 will support in their own way. HS did in the last episode (which makes me cry too for him..I wish there is a new love line for him. But not Ae Sun, please..jeball). 

Now, about the preview where DM was shoot, I will not invest so much in it since previews can be sneakily twisted. I think DM will go underground after he was shot. And then he will be part of the underground movement to help the rebels (the grand stage set up). His character cannot be vanished just like that. No, I dont want to believe that. KES will not be that cruel, right? *wink* *wink*

Another last thought, I would like to see spin off drama for DM and HS. Hmm..probably "Mr Eclipse" for DM and "Mr Flower" for HS? Hehehe..HS's story will be something like Chicago Typewriter. DM's story will be something like..hmm..Scarlet?..heheh..just my 2 cents..

• Like 10
  • LOL 2

Only KTR may need to shoot extra scenes. 

@mistymorning I know that scenes are not necessarily shot in order - last to shoot scenes are not necessarily the last scenes but still, KTR being the only member left with scenes to shoot makes me a bit apprehensive about Eugene and the final scenes of the drama.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, skinnyjeans said:

Omoo.... only KTR need to shoot extra scenes?? Does it mean that all the three guys died and AS will eventually be a monk? :bawling: 

1 hour ago, mistergenie said:

Only KTR may need to shoot extra scenes. 

@mistymorning I know that scenes are not necessarily shot in order - last to shoot scenes are not necessarily the last scenes but still, KTR being the only member left with scenes to shoot makes me a bit apprehensive about Eugene and the final scenes of the drama.

I know! I'm a bit apprehensive too, but exact wording was that there's may be possibility of KTR doing extra shooting, so.. we'll see? 

• Like 6