Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

tumblr_pe1y81hakx1qm5w5wo1_400.gif

tumblr_pe1y81hakx1qm5w5wo3_400.gif

This moment between Dong Mae and Hina was my absolute fave. No words were needed. 

Check out my other stuff here!

• Like 17

@inna75You asked some very good and well thought out questions.

@lilyphenixSome great insights in your reply to @inna75. Found myself agreeing with you on almost all your points. It was quite clear that AS' loyalty was being tested and the Potter making the excuse that Gunner Jang was emotional was also very shrewd of him because he must know that Gunner Jang would take Ae Shin's side if it came down to it.

I'm wondering when exactly she made the decision to embrace her love for him and not look back.

Personally,  I feel like she reached the point of no return when she was the one to prod him to go to the beach with her and see the sunrise. Notice how she tells EC at the beach that she was beginning to think that there was another chance for her in life, a chance that included going far from the shores of Joseon with Eugene. Remember also the conversation between Ms. Haman and Mr. Haengrang when Ae Shin was away on her beach date - they talk about how Ae Shin has chosen the most difficult path and option out of all others available for her.

Adding further two cents of mine to this discussion - I think the writer has left room for some ambiguity in Ae Shin's action of pointing the gun at Eugene. Remember, E7 - AS: when do we let go of our hands. EC: When we want to pick up a gun/ point a gun - Eugene himself has given her leeway from the start - our love starts with a handshake but you can let go when a situation arises that forces you to pick a gun. Now in E15, when she does point the gun at Eugene, he is naturally urt but he still worries about her: "Are you okay"? - as in how has this affected you? Me? I am used to people hating on me but it must have been difficult for you to follow orders and it must have upset you - that is the interpretation that I took from his concerned "are you okay"' question later on at the apothecary.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Hello! I have registered here because recently I began watching this drama on netflix. Looking for information about this great show I found that in my country the release of the episodes is behind,  being just  now at the 12th episode. But as the net was filled with pictures and videos and so on, I couldn't restrain myself... I am reading the recaps of episodes I haven't watched yet! I am really badly hooked... thanks to netflix I can watch productions from all over the world, and it's great. I have watched a couple of Korean dramas so far, but this one is really in another league. The cinematography is simply stunning, the story is interesting as it is a period drama about a bit of history quite unknow (at least on this side of the west). The characters are played by top class actors, not only the main leads, but all the characters are played by really great actors: I was so surprised to find bad critics about! The music is also great and on point while underlining scenes and feelings. But what I find exceptional is the clever use of the languages in the plot.  Languages become a sort of character on his own. It is the English in the developing of the love story between Eugene and Aeshin, the Korean written and spoken, the Japanese sounding menacing. I even heard a bit of French, giving immediately to my ears a Belle Epoque flavour. My language is missing, I am a bit jealous, ehehe. 

• Like 19

@AhphengYour C-strips are on fire today. I expected nothing less. Also, something really funny (and maybe intentional?) in your previous C-strip about the fishing date - Ae shin's caption of "how to make it more exciting? Swim with the fishes?" - made me guffaw out loud since swimming with the fishes is euphemism for someone getting killed and then being sunk using weights.

@marfisaMost warm welcome here at this forum. -    Languages become a sort of character on his own. It is the English in the developing of the love story between Eugene and Aeshin, the Korean written and spoken, the Japanese sounding menacing. - fantastic point. Well said.

Did he cry because he did not lose her? Did he cry because she is the only one that he has and the only one that understands him? did he cry because he founds the whole situation so frustrating (he wants her, but he cannot have her). So why do you think he cried?

@tzupiCombination of all the above, I think. He went to the kiln site fully expecting to get shot to death, so it was a relief that he did not lose her;  With Joseph's death, apart from AS, no one else he is so close to right now, no one else he can be vulnerable with; Frustration at falling so deeply in love with her that despite his early declarations that the mere fact that she was in his life was enough for him,  he still yearns for more - witness the tightness of the hug - clinging on to her with such intensity was his open display of his buried emotions towards her  - coming from a man who was hesitant to wipe away her tears and hug her back, this was huge - I think even AE shin understood the weight and gravity of the hug he gave her.

• Like 11
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 1

You're too fast @mistergenie, totally agree with you about @inna75, great observation and excellent questions to ponder and @lilyphenix, absolutely well-thought answers and insightful remarks. @mistergenie brought up more cool details as well.

Hello @marfisa , welcome welcome! Indeed, well-said on the clever usage of language. When the drama started I came across comments belittling the A, B, Cs particularly the 'Lo Bu Love' aspect with Ae Shin being completely enamored by it but totally clueless at the same time. it's been likened as 'childish' and lame but people forget that it's not a modern setting that most of everyone would know some English and other languages than their own. Whether we realize it or not, at this time and age, language(s) are taken for granted and not appreciated enough. It actually a nice way of getting the plot going, one that's not used very often.

Language as a character, that is an apt description. While Ae Shin learn to read and write in English, writing is another challenge when she's used to only Hangul but learnt the A B C by going to class. Eugene on the other hand highlights the unique Korean language as he starts learning to write from scratch. It might be a simple reason but both of them took the initiative to improve themselves, and be better for the other person.

Back to the episode, I wish to re-phrase what I said earlier about Eun San. I think one of his qualities as the RA leader that he has to rationally think and work around the impossible order from LJM, to terminate Eugene. He may be a pottery-maker but he has the mind of a strategist and he's well-aware of Eugene's potential as an ally. ES also knew Joseph from way back as he was the one who suggested the missionary to take the boy back to America. Obviously he would also be affected by the news about Joseph and he really doesn't want to make Eugene an enemy but it's the only way to keep RA intact. It's a long shot plan he had to take with possible grave consequences but ES really is a strategist. He may have lost the short-lived warm connection with EC but he kept everyone safe.

Ae Shin on the other hand, as a sniper, she has a good shot of Eugene anytime. But she's also very calm as well as confident handling the gun, and never hasty. Remember the earlier scene when she grabbed & pointed Eugene's gun at him.. Ae Shin was upset he didn't reply her letter, she knew what she's doing and will not harm him unnecessarily. Even though she has her orders, AS will not do it blindly especially when it comes to a man whom she knows more than the rest. Not saying that she would not or could not pull the trigger.. she won't fail but she won't be one to create unnecessary failure. She's accessing the situation wisely and good thinking on her behalf, she makes a good judgement.. getting to how EC thinks and feels might have an influence as well.

Photo: Yoon Joo Man

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

5bCWCAh.jpg

What's wrong Soompi? How come IG link sometime works and other times don't ? 

@mistergenie LOL, mine literally meant swimming somewhere where there's water and fish ! I usually don't use the expression "swimming with the fishes" but "sleeping with the fishes " (Godfather) 

• Like 9
  • LOL 4

6 hours ago, ryudian said:

Hee Sung : "and just now, I made up my mind to do something very bad... for my parents and your grandfather"

Hee Sung:bawling::bawling::bawling:

and we'll get that scene from ep 7 in tonight's episode!

Hee Sung lies on Ae Shin's lap and Aeshin Eugene in foreign county~~~

The most heartbreaking scene from ep15 has to be when Hee Sung finally knew what happened 30 years ago. He had envisioned something really really bad but from his shockingly distraught expression, it's really something beyond his worst imagination. Even just seeing the replay of what happened to young Eugene, his mother and his father brought a lump in my throat every time :tears: what's more for HS.. knowing that it's his own grandfather's evil doing would be such an unbearable burden and shame, particularly when EC has started to treat him better than before. Plus the fact that EC didn't actually do any harm to HS' parents. He may never forgive them but he has found his closure and moved on.

The scene of Hee Sung's mother apologizing and bowing to Eugene (she called him by his Korean name, Yu Jin) is another powerful scene. Meeting him directly and giving EC the ornament, no matter how painful the memory associated with it, somehow makes sense too. As a mother, she understood what Eugene's mom did and now it's her turn to do anything for her son's safety. The father on the other hand, would run and hide from EC and had his servant do the explaining instead.

Individual pics from tvN

• Like 14
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, rubie said:

Hi @mrtreasure100, welcome to the thread! Perhaps the quote above answers your query.. thanks to @cynkdf, hi and good to see your sharing here. It's really been awhile, huh! *hug!* Really appreciate the good highlight, we probably wouldn't have known till much later. Hopefully the soundtrack will be released in full like the rest. The drama have been consistent with the songs' release, only announcing and revealing it the same week a new episode comes out. The singers and musicians have been keeping the secrets really well, too. :)Hope you too, are enjoying MR.SUNSHINE. (I've edited out the IG link in your post, the Mods doesn't allow it in quotes but found the related song-clip at the same IG, merci!)

@rubie Yes, it's been a while. Re Mr Sunshine, I have a lot of catching up to do ... TBH I don't watch K-dramas nowadays, too busy stanning Hwang Chi Yeul :) But when he sings an OST for a drama, I will definitely follow that drama. 

The legend Shin Seung Hoon has also sung an OST for Mr Sunshine (he revealed this on his instagram :)) and sang some of it in a public performance in Seongnam (a park concert) on Saturday:

• Like 8

This is going to be my first post for this drama. I only watch Korean dramas after all the episodes are completed because I hate waiting for another day/week for the continuation of each episode. Also, waiting for the drama to end gives me time to browse on the comments of viewers to determine if a drama is worth watching.  After browsing with some of the comments, I decided to watch the first episode and what happened next was that I got hooked up with this drama. About an hour ago, I finally completed E15. All I can say is that this drama is well written and has all the ingredients (action, suspense, comedy and love triangle) enough to make you wait and speculate for the next episode. 

• Like 9

Dong Mae you are always number1.

But, sorry baby, this time EC was much cooler.

His sentence  ''before or after DM slices it in half''  is a winner.

Eventhough Dong Mae and EC are alpha, I liked HSs poetic sentence, that

this time he will die because of beauty.

• Like 10

Wow.. Shin Seung Hoon singing the OST for MR.SUNSHINE, that's another awesome news for the drama. Thanks @cynkdf for the wonderful highlight. Please drop by again and keep on sharing the soundtrack news & more with us here, ok.

@Ahpheng, it may differ a bit.. perhaps or perhaps not, KES had her inspiration from this 2001 movie 'Bungee Jumping of Their Own' (Lee Byung Hun & the late Lee Eun Joo) for the shoe-tying image in her dramas. It's a well-known promo still for the movie. ^_^

bungeejump1.jpg?ssl=1&w=450

Anyway, another unexpectedly memorable scene from episode 15 is that Eugene asking for 'a mountain' from LJM for agreeing to accept the position at Royal Military Academy. He really did not have a reason to leave Joseon now and at the same time, he could finally do himself some good. EC never forgets his mother and getting that mountain at Ganghwa Island is his way of honoring his parents, what a nice twist to have. Both being overly-courteous of each other, LJM doesn't have to do much of arm-twisting political talk and Eugene finally gaining something he truly deserves from Joseon. th_rbhcool.gif

• Like 10

Shocking scenes in episode 17 :o but we shouldn't believe the previews, right? :sweatingbullets:

Spoiler

Spoiler

I think there'll be new faces in town.. will Eugene's Japanese friend in NY make an appearance and become his enemy? He did say (in ep 2) that he won't be welcomed in Hanseong but he still wanted to see Eugene.

• Like 8

@rubie my first drama of LBH was 2003 All In and that movie was even earlier! I suppose Tying shoe laces are becoming quite a norm in kdramas alongside piggy rides, arm pulling....I suppose the writers do 'copy' each other. 

• Like 10

14 hours ago, Ahpheng said:

@rubie lol, according to @miracle23, Writer Kim should be shot since she :D has finished writing this drama ! 

Yup! She is the cause of me pulling every cells in my brain trying to understand her logic. However, for @Ahpheng I stroke her off my hit list and willingly let other assassins who will be right there waiting for the best moment to pull the trigger. :tounge_wink:

I am just gonna sit back and enjoy my popcorn as we are nearing the end of our rides with Mr. Sunshine. 

Edit: Ok now that I saw the preview, @Ahpheng I am gonna have to re-list her back into my hit list. Sorry my friend, I just need someone else to be in a bloody condition... *sigh* 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

Ep 17 preview c-strip ....

Spoiler

@miracle23 yes, Writer Kim deserves to be back on the hit list , you have my support this time :rolleyes:

• Like 8