[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

6 hours ago, ryudian said:

Hee Sung : "and just now, I made up my mind to do something very bad... for my parents and your grandfather"

Hee Sung:bawling::bawling::bawling:

and we'll get that scene from ep 7 in tonight's episode!

Hee Sung lies on Ae Shin's lap and Aeshin Eugene in foreign county~~~

The most heartbreaking scene from ep15 has to be when Hee Sung finally knew what happened 30 years ago. He had envisioned something really really bad but from his shockingly distraught expression, it's really something beyond his worst imagination. Even just seeing the replay of what happened to young Eugene, his mother and his father brought a lump in my throat every time :tears: what's more for HS.. knowing that it's his own grandfather's evil doing would be such an unbearable burden and shame, particularly when EC has started to treat him better than before. Plus the fact that EC didn't actually do any harm to HS' parents. He may never forgive them but he has found his closure and moved on.

The scene of Hee Sung's mother apologizing and bowing to Eugene (she called him by his Korean name, Yu Jin) is another powerful scene. Meeting him directly and giving EC the ornament, no matter how painful the memory associated with it, somehow makes sense too. As a mother, she understood what Eugene's mom did and now it's her turn to do anything for her son's safety. The father on the other hand, would run and hide from EC and had his servant do the explaining instead.

Individual pics from tvN

• Like 14
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, rubie said:

Hi @mrtreasure100, welcome to the thread! Perhaps the quote above answers your query.. thanks to @cynkdf, hi and good to see your sharing here. It's really been awhile, huh! *hug!* Really appreciate the good highlight, we probably wouldn't have known till much later. Hopefully the soundtrack will be released in full like the rest. The drama have been consistent with the songs' release, only announcing and revealing it the same week a new episode comes out. The singers and musicians have been keeping the secrets really well, too. :)Hope you too, are enjoying MR.SUNSHINE. (I've edited out the IG link in your post, the Mods doesn't allow it in quotes but found the related song-clip at the same IG, merci!)

@rubie Yes, it's been a while. Re Mr Sunshine, I have a lot of catching up to do ... TBH I don't watch K-dramas nowadays, too busy stanning Hwang Chi Yeul :) But when he sings an OST for a drama, I will definitely follow that drama. 

The legend Shin Seung Hoon has also sung an OST for Mr Sunshine (he revealed this on his instagram :)) and sang some of it in a public performance in Seongnam (a park concert) on Saturday:

• Like 8

This is going to be my first post for this drama. I only watch Korean dramas after all the episodes are completed because I hate waiting for another day/week for the continuation of each episode. Also, waiting for the drama to end gives me time to browse on the comments of viewers to determine if a drama is worth watching.  After browsing with some of the comments, I decided to watch the first episode and what happened next was that I got hooked up with this drama. About an hour ago, I finally completed E15. All I can say is that this drama is well written and has all the ingredients (action, suspense, comedy and love triangle) enough to make you wait and speculate for the next episode. 

• Like 9

Dong Mae you are always number1.

But, sorry baby, this time EC was much cooler.

His sentence  ''before or after DM slices it in half''  is a winner.

Eventhough Dong Mae and EC are alpha, I liked HSs poetic sentence, that

this time he will die because of beauty.

• Like 10

Wow.. Shin Seung Hoon singing the OST for MR.SUNSHINE, that's another awesome news for the drama. Thanks @cynkdf for the wonderful highlight. Please drop by again and keep on sharing the soundtrack news & more with us here, ok.

@Ahpheng, it may differ a bit.. perhaps or perhaps not, KES had her inspiration from this 2001 movie 'Bungee Jumping of Their Own' (Lee Byung Hun & the late Lee Eun Joo) for the shoe-tying image in her dramas. It's a well-known promo still for the movie. ^_^

bungeejump1.jpg?ssl=1&w=450

Anyway, another unexpectedly memorable scene from episode 15 is that Eugene asking for 'a mountain' from LJM for agreeing to accept the position at Royal Military Academy. He really did not have a reason to leave Joseon now and at the same time, he could finally do himself some good. EC never forgets his mother and getting that mountain at Ganghwa Island is his way of honoring his parents, what a nice twist to have. Both being overly-courteous of each other, LJM doesn't have to do much of arm-twisting political talk and Eugene finally gaining something he truly deserves from Joseon. th_rbhcool.gif

• Like 10

Shocking scenes in episode 17 :o but we shouldn't believe the previews, right? :sweatingbullets:

Spoiler

Spoiler

I think there'll be new faces in town.. will Eugene's Japanese friend in NY make an appearance and become his enemy? He did say (in ep 2) that he won't be welcomed in Hanseong but he still wanted to see Eugene.

• Like 8

14 hours ago, Ahpheng said:

@rubie lol, according to @miracle23, Writer Kim should be shot since she :D has finished writing this drama ! 

Yup! She is the cause of me pulling every cells in my brain trying to understand her logic. However, for @Ahpheng I stroke her off my hit list and willingly let other assassins who will be right there waiting for the best moment to pull the trigger. :tounge_wink:

I am just gonna sit back and enjoy my popcorn as we are nearing the end of our rides with Mr. Sunshine. 

Edit: Ok now that I saw the preview, @Ahpheng I am gonna have to re-list her back into my hit list. Sorry my friend, I just need someone else to be in a bloody condition... *sigh* 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

@lilyphenix ..kamsahanida for the clarification in the first two questions...I believe we are at the same page about EC's state of mind and that is why I was not that curious earlier on..but I was a bit taken back by this one forum site which questioned on the logic, even more when the article seemed to be a bit sceptical with KES's direction of the drama.... I think what you have explained sums up EC's character very well..thank you chinggu!!...

As for the second question, I agree on your assessment about Gunner Jang balancing between his hatred towards the one who started all this and his love for his country. And now it makes more sense to me..kamsahanida again chinggu.. I think I can understand now why he is more receptive of EC as compared to the others, even helping EC and AS out despite he knew these two might or might not be together. I dont think he blamed EC for not standing for Joseon since in EC's mind, Joseon has long abandoned him and his family. Similar to Gunner Jang. The only different is that Gunner Jang was in the war, he witnessed how his countrymen were being tortured etc. He kinda get it why fighting for the country comes first before any avenge plan. And I think, he will be the only one supporting the OTP..

As for the third question..it's ok I guess.. I think I need to rewatched again to understand AS's state of mind..or I hope in the next 8 episodes, this will be explained. Knowing KES, chances are we might understand AS's motivation probably in the coming 2 -3 episodes..For now, I will leave to the idea that AS did hesitate but since she was trained not to succumb to her personal feelings, despite her obvious remorse to the request by the potter. So I guess that is why there was lacked of emotion on her part as she was aiming her gun to EC. But all those emotions come back to her when she met him again at the apothecary, hence the hug..

Edit:  Just finish watching the latest episode (may contain some spoilers), I thought the comfort scene between AS and EC is already depressing enough, tonight's episode is even more...:dissapointed_relieved:..Although, I like the part that the OTP seemed to try their damn hard to assure themselves that they will meet again, I doubt we will see any of those sweet scenes we have been provided with after this. And even worse, the eclipse at the end of today's episode symbolises the more heart-wrenching scenes we are going to see in the next episodes.. and I am too scared to watch next week's eps...The preview breaks my heart and for the first time, I am wishing against all wishes that all the characters will not die, even though earlier on I do expect some tragedy will happen..but now, i dont want that anymore... I hope the one about DM is just a teaser. Please KES, dont break our hearts anymore. Only 8 episodes to go and I want to see all of them come together to save Joseon, jeballl...

@mistergenie and @rubie...thank you too for the insights chinggu..as usual, love the takes you guys have on all the scenes

@Ahpheng..as usual chinggu..your C-strips are da bomb!! Should make a book for all the strips...

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

That moment when Eugene kneel before AeShin to help her wear shoe, i cried like a dog.......

Both of them are so good in acting i swear they gonna sweep lots of award later.  The eye, the vocal, the body language......hands down best drama ever...it literally rip your heart open and put it back to where it belongs repeatedly...

• Like 14

Source: DDOBOJA

Mr. Sunshine Roundup: Episode 15 + 16

0003850771_001_20180825223439507.jpg

Original Source (OSEN via Naver): "I made up my mind to do something very bad"..'Mr. Sunshine' Byun Yo Han decides on marrying Kim Tae Ri

Ratings for Episode 15: 12.893% (cr. Nielsen Korea)

1. [+1911, -21] I hope the "something very bad" he's talking about is something we're all wishing for  

2. [+1858, -16] Oh my, the journalist is sincere
↪ [+115, -0] They wrote down all the quotes that you can't even hear......

3. [+910, -26] It's probably going to be him deciding to break off the engagement... He's going to make her into a flawed woman...

4. [+720, -19] Byun Yo Han was crazy in today's episode

Spoiler

0003553919_001_20180825223619131.jpg

Original Source (news1 via Naver): "I made up my mind to do something very bad" 'Mr. Sunshine' Is Byun Yo Han going to go forward with his engagement with Kim Tae Ri?

1. [+631, -14] It's (fun) to the point where you don't know how time is passing.....

2. [+408, -4] From how I see it.... I feel like Kim Hee Sung is planning on going all out so that he can be the one who gets shitted on....

3. [+323, -9] ㅠㅠ I caught the goddamn second lead syndrome again 
↪ [+52, -1] "Nice to meet you, I'm Kim Hee Seung"

4. [+239, -7] This drama is seriously really fun. 

5. [+215, -7] My heart hurts so much because of Hee Sung. If it wasn't for the grandfather, he wouldn't been a romantic, handsome oppa who likes useless things. His heart has a lot of baggage.... Sigh ㅠㅠ 

20180827_1.jpg

Original Source (Sports Chosun via Naver): 'Mr. Sunshine' Lee Byung Hun ♥ Kim Tae Ri, sad reunion "I want to see you throughout all four seasons"

Ratings for Episode 16: 15.023% (cr. Nielsen Korea) 

1. [+2184, -35] ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ Save Dong Mae

2. [+1102, -32] If they just kill off Dong Mae then they really have no merit. He didn't even work in the righteous army and if he just dies in episode 17 after getting shot then that's really a waste of the character ㅜ Save him

3. [+902, -82] Lee Byung Hun's eye gaze acting tightly grasps the drama's flow

4. [+769, -18] Wow it was really pretty in the palace 

5. [+697, -29] Wasn't today's episode a legendary episode? What was with the chemistry in her imagination scene.. Anyways, someone please save our Dong Mae ㅠㅠㅠ

6. [+289, -8] Once again, I would like to thank the independence fighters who fought in the heart-wrenching history     

Source: StarNews

Spoiler

• Like 9

Episode 16 was solid!  Preview :(

Nielsen Ratings:

Episode 1   7/7/18       8.852%

Episode 2   7/8/18       9.691%

Episode 3   7/14/18    10.082%

Episode 4   7/15/18    10.567%

Episode 5   7/21/18    10.835%

Episode 6   7/22/18     11.713%

Episode 7  7/28/18      11.114%

Episode 8  7/29/18      12.330%

Episode 9  8/3/18        11.695%

Episode 10  8/4/18      13.534%

Episode 11  8/11/18    12.792%

Episode 12  8/12/18    13.399%

Episode 13  8/18/18    13.327%

Episode 14  8/19/18    15.626%

Episode 15  8/25/18     12.893%

Episode 16 8/26/18       15.023%

Source

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Havent got the time to watch the latest ep but saw scenes of the eclipse scene and I was stunned, reminded me so much of Scarlet heart. Dongmae is really similar to 4th prince .... 

Death coming soon :tears:

Taeri look pretty in American clothes. The director is really very good in scene set up and lightings.

• Like 6
  • Sad 2