Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

1 hour ago, mistergenie said:

@Ahphengas always, your strips are awesome. Annul the engagement one made me laugh out loud.

My speculation about these stills : Ae Shin has to pay her debt to Dong Mae. She goes alone to Jingogae. HS and Eugene come to know of this - both arrive there separately or maybe together, are refused entry and face off against the ronins. Some scuffle must happen because Eugene is injured in one of the stills. 

Yes. I like it (second possible scenario). Speculation time: DM + Aeshin (hanbok) coming and stop this fight. 
The scene fits perfectly into the funny style of writers (KES). Sure there will be some funny sentences perfect for Ahpheng :)

I'm still sure that HS will guess their relationship thanks to gloves.

Edit:

AS pays her attention to scratches on the EC head. HS notices it and gloves.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mistergenie said:

@Ahphengas always, your strips are awesome. Annul the engagement one made me laugh out loud.

My speculation about these stills : Ae Shin has to pay her debt to Dong Mae. She goes alone to Jingogae. HS and Eugene come to know of this - both arrive there separately or maybe together, are refused entry and face off against the ronins. Some scuffle must happen because Eugene is injured in one of the stills. 

Oh I like this possibility. It makes sense! @Ahpheng I scrapped the one I speculate earlier.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, aurelionsol said:

Why do I have the feeling that AS will go to America as an ambassador? 

Sorry, no government position is possible for women at that time. And at the end of 1905, after Russian-Japan war, Japan will take Korea's power of diplomacy by force. So no ambassador any more.

History is the spoiler for this drama. KES is known for happy endings, I wonder how she will make another happy ending out of this, or will be sad ending eventually.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, mistymorning said:

Sorry, no government position is possible for women at that time. And at the end of 1905, after Russian-Japan war, Japan will take Korea's power of diplomacy by force. So no ambassador any more.

History is the spoiler for this drama. KES is known for happy endings, I wonder how she will make another happy ending out of this, or will be sad ending eventually.

I wrote that she will be ignored. I didnt wrote that she will be sent by the emperor and the government. The purpose of sending her will be to ensure safety since she is like a mother of Korea (educated, knows culture). I think there is another hidden symbol here. She will return to Korea in 1945 with American soldiers. Political correctness?

Im not here to argue :)

Didn't see it while watching the drama. Only realized it when making the GIF. :) Ae Shin giving Eugene the nudge when he came too close. :P

Stand back, sniper-boy! th_laughing.gif

mrsun12_03.gif

• Like 3
  • LOL 8

5 hours ago, rubie said:

Didn't see it while watching the drama. Only realized it when making the GIF. :) Ae Shin giving Eugene the nudge when he came too close. :P

Stand back, sniper-boy! th_laughing.gif

She is embarrassed? because he came too close (reaction and eyes - young inexperienced woman,

he is still her first love) and then she nudged him (fits her character) :)

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

57 minutes ago, mistymorning said:

It is hard to predict the ending for this drama. I am leaning more to Eugene going back to America and returning to Korea years later to find the grave of Ae Shin who had died in her fight for independence for Korea. After I realised that Kim Eun Seok had originally intended Eugene to be a foreigner, this would be the most likely ending. But let’s continue watching and see.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

43 minutes ago, charray said:

It is hard to predict the ending for this drama. I am leaning more to Eugene going back to America and returning to Korea years later to find the grave of Ae Shin who had died in her fight for independence for Korea. After I realised that Kim Eun Seok had originally intended Eugene to be a foreigner, this would be the most likely ending. But let’s continue watching and see.

Hmm,

I have a feeling that the girl who teaches AS will die (low origin, she thinks about love, she learns English and is very nice person, new member of RA and a nurse in a field hospital because this fits her?), 2 former slave hunters will die in the fight for the country (life forced them to such work but they died with honor). Someone more will die? I didnt thought about it that much.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, mistymorning said:

Well,  judging from her most recent drama ending in "Goblin", I can't quite say that her dramas always end happily. In fact,  I still has a hard time considering whether ending in Goblin is  happy or not.  An open ending is most likely. 

Mr Sunshine is (as far as I know) her first historical drama (as in based on real historical characters and events), so It's possible that she might try her first sad ending in Mr Sunshine. 

Given the story timeline,  I don't think of how this drama would end on good note. Migrating to US for Ae Shin is not a happy ending in my POV.  Living the life of a fugitive,  abandoning her country,  how is that a happy ending? 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, aurelionsol said:

I wrote that she will be ignored. I didnt wrote that she will be sent by the emperor and the government. The purpose of sending her will be to ensure safety since she is like a mother of Korea (educated, knows culture). I think there is another hidden symbol here. She will return to Korea in 1945 with American soldiers. Political correctness?

Im not here to argue :)

Oh, I'm not arguing. I apologize if I came off that way. The view point I have for this drama is, aside from main story(a slave escaping to US and back as us marine ) remaining stories are sort of following real history. Aside from EC and DM, we have possible real historical figures that could have been used as base for AS and HS.  KES twisted somethings or changed the times a bit, but not the big events. And I'm delighted to find historical clues in the drama and if they're different how much. 

51 minutes ago, charray said:

That would be a sad ending for me :tears:. Myself, I'm hoping they move to US(unlikely) or China(More likely) and continue the fight. Sort of open ending, but I do not want to see them die.......

@rubie

She did realize his closeness and then he realized her feeling. Did you notice he sort of held on to her hand and reluctantly stepped back? I was like, hold it! hold it! :D

Edited by mistymorning
Obviously don't know how to multi-quote. Sorrry!
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

57 minutes ago, mistymorning said:

@rubie

She did realize his closeness and then he realized her feeling. Did you notice he sort of held on to her hand and reluctantly stepped back? I was like, hold it! hold it! :D

LOL! They do realize their true feelings there and then. Too real! :lol: But if she didn't nudge him, it'll turn to something other than gun practice. :P

But obviously it turned to something else.. 'what's in the box' game for two.. and stumble along ^_^

Searching for the magic box

mrsun12_06.gif

Flower messenger

mrsun12_07.gif

mrsun12_08.gif

• Like 8

1 hour ago, mistymorning said:

Oh, I'm not arguing. I apologize if I came off that way. The view point I have for this drama is, aside from main story(a slave escaping to US and back as us marine ) remaining stories are sort of following real history. Aside from EC and DM, we have possible real historical figures that could have been used as base for AS and HS.  KES twisted somethings or changed the times a bit, but not the big events. And I'm delighted to find historical clues in the drama and if they're different how much. 

That would be a sad ending for me :tears:. Myself, I'm hoping they move to US(unlikely) or China(More likely) and continue the fight. Sort of open ending, but I do not want to see them die.......

We have the right to a different point of view. Let's leave it. 

No hugging because too far :)

We enjoy the series and just trying speculate about it. 

• Like 1

I Think KES is known for OE or SE like in LIP, SG bc the mother did not accept them nor his fam except for Osca, or even in movies like Millionares first love, Goblin for me is an OE, thats why i dont have high hopes MS will have a HE , and for the fact that Korea was really under Japan for 45 years.. But HE or OE or SE i will still watch it till the end.. So Mr. Sunshine fighting.. :D

• Like 6

Can’t believe it’s tomorrow already :rolleyes: been so overwhelmed with so many things going on that time just flies.. Guess it’s a good thing on one end since that means waiting for Saturday becomes much more bearable.. I am still hoping for a HE for Ae Shin and Eugene! 

• Like 7

This will be long. I apologize. If there's a way to put it under a cut, please help me out admins. 

There's a lot of theories floating around about potential endings and I just wanted to share my piece about what I would like to see. A lot of this will be based on my personal preferences in fiction/drama since I'm not very familiar with KES dramas. I only finished Goblin, and that was merely a casual watch for me. But I would assume, and hope, that a writer of her caliber would follow up on the themes and motifs that she's sprinkled out for us thus far. So I keep coming back to two things. 

1. Guns, glory, and sad endings. 

2. The tag line in the highlight video that says something along the lines of "History has forgotten them and that is why we must remember. The nameless righteous army who wanted only the sovereignty of their country." AGAIN, PARAPHRASING. 

Historically, we all know the Japanese occupation will be coming. Whether we will see it happen in the drama is up in the air. But either way, we know the future is bleak for our characters, thus the sad ending is pretty inevitable, even if some of our main characters escape Joseon (I actually don't want that to happen but more on that later). We've seen the guns/action parts. Hopefully some of the glory/strengthening of the rebel team, is coming soon now that the stakes have been set up. So the question on a lot of people's minds is what will that sad ending look like? 

That's why I keep going back to the tag line. The last few shots in the highlight video talk about how history didn't record the nameless army. But that we need to remember them. We're now half way through the series and except for Ae Shin, none of our other four main characters are officially part of the army. Even if they have interacted/inadvertently helped the rebels. So if we assume that the tag line wasn't just for show, that means we can expect to see the righteous army grow in numbers and strength as they gear up for the upcoming conflict in this second half. 

That's why I don't want ANY of our main characters to "escape" Joseon at the end of the drama. Cause honestly, narratively, that would be a huge waste. I love these characters. Truly, I do. And in an AU, I would write them a BIG FAT HAPPY ENDING where everyone loves someone who loves them back. But I signed up for a moving story about a righteous army who fought valiantly for their country only to be forgotten in the history books cause that's what I was told I would be getting. To not give us that in some way, shape or form, is....deceitful. So to have any of the main leads leave Joseon at the end, in whatever capacity, feels cheap to me. Cause it removes them from the conflict that we are being led to care about. 

Now someone will probably die in the last week. Likely, many of the players in our righteous army. But also probably some of our main characters. I'm guessing Dong Mae and/or Hee Sung for maximum pain. And though it would hurt cause I love them both so much, I think it could be a potentially beautiful way to close this chapter. To have two people who didn't care about the struggle and ideals of the righteous army, albeit in different ways, to give up their lives in the fight, and therefore inspire the others to continue on. That's not to say that we wouldn't get the same effect if EG, AS or Hina died in the process but EG is the male lead and this isn't a makjang so I don't think he will die, at least not on screen. And I'd rather not see AS or Hina die cause women have suffered enough in this drama. 

So here's what I want to see. 1. The righteous army building up its ranks with our mains at the forefront in some capacity. Preferably for a better reason than "I love Ae Shin and want to stay by her side". As awesome as she may be, that's a hollow reason for them to join the rebels. I want KES to be able to answer the question "Why would/do people who have been abused by Joseon's archaic system, want to fight for it?" 2. Someone major dies. Maybe it's the gunner, maybe it's Dong Mae or Hee Sung. Please show, stop killing women. Whoever it is, they will have died as a crucial member of the army, thereby giving everyone the kick in the pants they need to continue the fight even in such depressing odds. 3. Continuation of my last thought - the last few scenes are of the pending Japanese occupation. It's still the sad ending that's been foreshadowed cause we (the audience and now our heroes) know what's coming. But it's also a little hopeful cause while our heroes are tired and a little broken, they're not ready to give up. 4. If KES really wanted to give us a happy ending, I would want it to be a flash forward epilogue where we see most of our heroes alive but with some battle scars, witnessing the end of the Japanese occupation, knowing that all their hard work for the past 40-some odd years were worth it.

As always, check me out on tumblr for updates: I post gifs of the show, gifs of the bts, the occasional teasers, and my own commentary on what's happening on the show/my wishes for it, etc. Really enjoying what others are coming up with!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2