Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

5 hours ago, bedifferent said:

What do you think Ae Shin mean when she said to Eugene that she must save the geisha in red...

EC:  Saving one woman will not save Joseon.

AG:  I must save her. Because one day, she will become like me.

I think she meant that maybe one day the geisha could become someone like her who can take up a more proactive approach in the quest to save Joseon.

• Like 4

Right after the trio ending scene, there three scenes I feel like I haven’t seen on the show yet with AS and each guy. Is it a little spoiler clip of what will happen in the future? Or did I miss something? Also the first one looked like AS was passing by EC in western clothing? 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, bedifferent said:

What do you think Ae Shin mean when she said to Eugene that she must save the geisha in red...

AG:  I must save her. Because one day, she will become like me.

I think the dialogue is sometimes is vague in this drama and leaves something to the imagination.  The AS mix up with the meaning of the word "love" - has been explained to me that it was defined as something difficult to achieve and you have to do it together (by Eugene) - but really not clearly defined to me what AS was asking for or expecting to get from it. 

The remark you mention above that she makes, may mean that in the future, in a free Joseon, the young woman will be as privileged as she herself is. In other words each human is equal and equally valuable, at least that is how it should be and will be one day.   It was a strange scene because even though Eugene is concerned about the danger AS was in,  in his childhood he was going to be randomly murdered merely because his parents dared to try to escape inhuman abuse, so you would think he would be more sympathetic to the life of the  young woman.   He also had to be begged by the brother of the maid servant from being abused by the same sadistic Japanese officer.  So I don't get him very much. But they do describe him as having a cold heart. 

• Like 7

AGB  Nielsen Ratings

Episode 1   7/7/18       8.852%

Episode 2   7/8/18       9.691%

Episode 3   7/14/18    10.082%

Episode 4   7/15/18    10.567%

Episode 5   7/21/18    10.835%

Episode 6   7/22/18     11.713%

Episode 7  7/28/18      11.114%

Source

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, solarisk said:

Let me correct that.

AG: I must save her. Because one day, I can become like her.

@bedifferent Well as for me she might be telling him that she might be caught by the enemy one day and hopefully someone will be there to save her.  This is because she knew that girl is one of the fighters too.  (this is just my understanding)

Ae Shin has been following this ideal, romantic vision of patriotism... until now.  She can finally see in her own eyes the courage and bravery that were shared by her parents.  To save the geisha is to save the fate of not only a member of the Righteous Army that Ae Shin wants to be a part of but of the unbreakable heroic spirit of Joseon.  

Agreed to this

The final scene is getting so interesting especially after HS's dialogue.  In the current situation, knowing what's happening, what will be AS's next step. 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, maddymappo said:

I think the dialogue is sometimes is vague in this drama and leaves something to the imagination.  The AS mix up with the meaning of the word "love" - has been explained to me that it was defined as something difficult to achieve and you have to do it together (by Eugene) - but really not clearly defined to me what AS was asking for or expecting to get from it. 

The remark you mention above that she makes, may mean that in the future, in a free Joseon, the young woman will be as privileged as she herself is. In other words each human is equal and equally valuable, at least that is how it should be and will be one day.   It was a strange scene because even though Eugene is concerned about the danger AS was in,  as a child who was going to be randomly murdered merely because his parents dared to try to escape inhuman abuse, you would think he would be more sympathetic to the life of the  young woman.   He also had to be begged by the brother of the maid servant from being abused by the same sadistic Japanese officer.  So I don't get him very much. But they do describe him as having a cold heart. 

1 hour ago, ErikaJ said:

I think she meant that maybe one day the geisha could become someone like her who can take up a more proactive approach in the quest to save Joseon.

Thanks guys.  The Netflix translation was wrong so the meaning was off.  Corrected translation is

AG:  I must save her. Because one day, I can become like her.

I also believe Ae Shin knows that she must save the geisha from death because in the future, Ae Shin could be in the same position, with her life at risk from the Japanese army and will require someone to save her as well.  Saving the geisha sets example for others to do the same for someone in need of saving.  Who knows that person could be Ae Shin.

1 hour ago, mistymorning said:

AS met the girl with English teacher and she introduced the word "love" to AS, as something much better than getting a position in government. So she only knew that it's something better than that and if so, must be something really good. And then in the clothing shop, EC said something like, need to do it together, and harder than shooting a rifle, and riskier. 

The actor is eurasian, as far as I know. He's wearing colored lens. But for him to understand Japanese I doubt it. I think the scene had interpreter behind each group (Japan and US) and interpreting quietly but continuously.

@maddymappo I agree.  Ae Shin doesn't want to settle in the position expected nor does she want to merely fulfill the obligations placed on her by family, status or even gender.  Queen Min was very progressive in thinking and outreach, someone who broke the social and gender glass ceilings and whom Ae Shin looked up to.  So to hear that this "love" is even better than public service, a lofty goal for women at the time, brought out the challenge she's willing to take.

I interpreted Kyle's Japanese fluency as the drama trying to show us that at this point, the US and Japan have already established diplomacy and relationship.  The US army has already stationed in Asia and someone like Kyle would need to know the basic language to survive and do his job.  We see him trying to learn Hangul/Korean as well as trying the food, culture, fashion, in the last episodes.  

What we also get to observe is a set up for the disappointments and betrayal toward Emperor Gojong and the Joseon people by the US.  King Gojong was very astute and fair in sentencing Eugene's case, favoring the Americans, which in my opinions has clearly declared himself an enemy to Japan and sided with the US.  Although implied, I think he expected the Americans to remember and return this favor.  When the US withdraw out of Korea later on, in three years, it must have been a devastating blow to his excellency and the country.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, rubie said:

Last week, they took longer to upload the clips.. almost the next day when the snippets finally appeared but not one so far at the YT channel today. And of course, the previous episode clips have disappeared as well. It's strange, huh..

Probably have to expect the worst.. no more clips from tvN. :mellow:

Nonetheless, thanks to fans' tireless sharing on IG and twitter.. we'd still have some nice clips to share, like this one.

Here's another funny moment during English lesson. Lady Ae Shin is so obviously smitten with the letter "E" :lol: 

Thanks to KshWithLove @lovebangwon

Yeah, it's strange. The previous ones also disappeared. The reason still in mystery haha..

But, like you said we can enjoy the clips from fans that share it on ig or twitter.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

When the US withdraw out of Korea later on, in three years, it must have been a devastating blow to his excellency and the country.

Yeah definitely, Koreans were probably counting on them to help since they were the only ones who could actually rival Japan/Russia at that time. I guess my country was lucky to receive help from America/Britain when Hitler wanted to invade. I guess it was for America's own safety that they helped but at least they helped. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

I've been follwing this drama since it's 1st week, mainly because I'm a big fan of KIm Taeri since the Handmaiden (probably my favorite movie for now) and I really liked Goblin (especially the directing, this PD has a incredible sense of mise en scene), not really a fan of KES .

I've, as expected, been pretty mesmerized by the scale of production design/value (it's really good to have 2 1 hour movie to watch each weekend) and you can see almost every penny on the screen (expect for those which went into LBH's account :D ) and the PD, once again,  do wonder things with his directing, with many memorable scenes (the latest would be the ending of episode 5 so sensual, moving and intriging) Not to mention the great casting (major lead roles are perfectly cast). But unfortunely, these very positive things hide a storytelling which is pretty average and not so engaging and inventive as we are supposed to feel and our feeling have been, to an extent influenced, by the amazing performences (not a great surprise from these actors) and an incredible mise en scene and I think theses factors are the trees that hide the forest for the story which seems not as brillant as the acting and directing suggest .

But even said that, I enjoyed a lot in front of Mr Sunshine and looking forward each weekend. It's a real treat for the eyes and ears, not so much for the heart for now (a little bit because of seeing KTR every week for me ). For now, (even if they're a different genre to compare) even it's a pleasure to watch, it  neither has Mother's emotional rush, Goblin's melancholy nor the brillance writing of Because this is my first Life at the same stage, to compare with my favorite dramas. 

We can rarely judge the drama from the first seven episodes (even though I dropped many dramas by watching a lesser no. of first episodes) but I can't help but feeling that way. Maybe because I'm a male and I'm more a movie fan than Kdramas but that's my impression. 

For the last episode, according to the flashforwards, I guess, at the end,  Ae Shin will leave Japanese occupied Joseon and reunite with Eugene abroad while continuing her fight, Understand Dong Mae (my YYS T_T) and make peace with him , and Hui Seong will end up dead for Ae Shin ( my BYH T_T) who 'ill mourn for him. That's whay make me think by seeing the flashforwards. 

• Like 12

The incident being reported late might cause problems in future for EC. These paperworks if not done in time cause too much hassle. I am having bad feeling abt this. :huh:

Btw they have thought too much abt the details of EC. His room is right in the middle of two hallways. Just random thoughts. :rolleyes:

• Like 4

Another version of the ep 8 preview, thanks to Chungmuro Crumb 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

hqdefault.jpgByun-Yo-Han-1.jpgsun_ep_6_0401.jpg?w=605&h=269

KES should be so proud that once again her creativity & talent has filled viewers with a passion and a real sincere connection to her characters.  Been so busy the past few days that I can't keep up with this thread or it's passion.  Except for that of my own! I loved this latest episode and I love that each character is so rich in their own pain, views and also feelings towards AE and in turn her feelings about each of them as well...

Although there are many forms of love there are also just as many ways a man or woman chooses to show how it is they feel.  I love the connection AE has with each of them in their past as well as their present.  I actually believe there is goodness within each of them and as the story unfolds I believe their personalities will be even more clear and understandable...

AE continues to show her courage and straightforward attitude which you already know that I love.  I feel that each mans past is touched by pain and loneliness and whether rich or poor the heart wants what it wants and only knows what it feels...

There is a so much that could and should be shared, written and discussed when a drama is this interesting.  I have said this before and I not only believe, but I know that it's true.  A thread is only as great as those who are willing to step out in faith and share their ideas, thoughts and feelings about what it is that they not only see but makes the story unique to them.  There is a lot of story to go around and there should be a lot of love and respect to go around as well.  It's our differences that make a thread strong, interesting and worth coming to.  Not in wanting everyone to think alike...

We should accept others and their thoughts where they are and embrace them in making each of us step outside our comfort zones. Whether we agree or not isn't as important as whether we are each true to ourselves and trust that our voices whether accepted or rejected should not be silenced but instead willingly be open enough to be respected while being heard through our words...

:heart:

[미스터 션샤인 OST Part 4] 이수현 (Lee Suhyun of AKMU) - 소리 (Sori) MV

@rubie Those embroideries!!!  Talented!!  I spy her IG, amazing unreal stuffs.  

Yeah I don’t know guys.  Is this each man with his own imagined future with Ae Shin?  Hee Sung in the garden among flowers.  Eugene with the valuable porcelain plates and Dong Mae forever her bodyguard.  I can only make out Ae Shin paying him in coins.

@kugap welcome to our thread.  Like your take on our characters’ fates.

Mr Kyle makes sure we know it takes a village to make those visuals on screen.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, philosophie said:

Right after the trio ending scene, there three scenes I feel like I haven’t seen on the show yet with AS and each guy. Is it a little spoiler clip of what will happen in the future? Or did I miss something? Also the first one looked like AS was passing by EC in western clothing? 

You're right! I clicked pause for all 3 scenes and they are new. There's a scene where Byun Yo Han was lying on Ae Shin's lap :) I definitely have not seen that yet. The writer KES always does this, she flash-forwards to the future to keep us hooked and guessing! She did that in Goblin too and I was the fool who was kept intrigued -_- Now there are three scenes for all of the divided fans! I am still on Team Eugene btw, the other 2 male leads are totally hot tho

12 hours ago, maddymappo said:

Ep 7 

I do not understand what AS thought the meaning of "love" was when she offered it to him and what she thinks now. Now is deep heartfelt sincere affection. But  what was she thinking it meant before? Confused. Please help me on this.

AS first heard about it from her commoner friend who went to study at the English school. Her friend told her that her friend's motivation to study English is because of "love".

So AS concluded that since her friend is so motivated, "love" must be better and more important than money, status or country. 

AS, being a person who is motivated, must also find someone to embark with on this "love" project.

Many times she invited Eugene to participate in her "love" project, which he finds amusing and funny. 

Actually, AS doesn't know what the richard simmons it is, she just decided to also try it since it was a "trend", so to speak. 

16 hours ago, scarletlover1 said:

Okay those 3 different scenes at the end, could it be things that will happen or could happen? Either these are flash forwards or they are giving a glimpse of what it could be with whichever guy she ends up with? I also just realized it's almost like trying to pick America, Japan or Joseon.

When these three are together it's so entertaining but so much tension at the same time. I feel like I can't even call this a bromance because I don't even know what this is.

It's a fan club!

Edited by Berou
Please do not bypass the swear filter
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2