Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

20 minutes ago, miracle23 said:

Bwahahaha... can't help it! My brain is working at full force be it while drama watching or reading... main reason as well for being very picky of what to watch since I will be brain exhausted by the end of it. I am considering shelving this till it ends airing so that I can watch it in one go, skipping the fillers and going straight to the main plot. I am giving it another week, before going for a thriller genre. For the time being DM is too sorrowful to be left unsupported kekekeke! I was a gone case with Chilbong... I am still having flashbacks from those buckets of tears I cried for and with him.. Aigoo, my faint heart....

Chilbong?

• Like 1

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4X8CbeUKskU_32-1yLLz36160685_410692456083216_501552114306750images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQmBtWfpm2FCqGD0PRhvkm

Every Mans Life Is Precious...  She knew this even as a child... She showed it through her actions in saving one...

The more I watch AS the more interesting she becomes to me.  I find her ability in being able to see those things in the people and most of all men around her that others might miss or don't take the time to see.  Almost a gift in seeming naive when it comes to the ways of the heart and her changing world.  Yet not so when it comes to being smart in understanding, seeking and striving to better her knowledge & capability every chance she gets.  Which to me is amazing considering the era and even more her being a woman...

Not to mention there is a real sense of goodness, mercy and honor within her...

I always smile when I see AS go into EC's office and sit right down in his chair without even a thought as if she is the authority figure.  I smiled even more when I heard the words they shared. 

" Protecting you...  What for?  Because I can "

:heart:

I really enjoyed listening to HN describe her Glory Hotel to AS and EC coming in a bit later and without even greeting her as if he were in a rush a little embarrassed trying to explain himself like being caught with his hand in the cookie jar.  Giving her his reasons and not HN's for staying at the hotel.  It's as if her understanding the situation was worth him looking a bit out of character.  I laughed when he said " It's Convenient " his eyes almost looking a bit down was perfect.  He might as well have waved a flag that said what you think matters to me...

DM and EC have some things in common and yet I was surprised in his reaction to AS when she was in the process of saving his life as a child.  Listening to her heartfelt words as to why she helped him and him in a way throwing them right back at her in saying " You're just a noble fool who lives in luxury. " which not only would have hurt but angered her too.  I know he was hurting and angry most likely at the whole world but I also wondered how those very words changed her.  I got my answer later when I saw her now a woman cringing and grasping her skirt in still remembering those words. 

Even more when seeing him as a man instead of a boy and him assuming that she was judging him because of him being a lowly butchers son.  This time she would throw his words right back at him and show him how foolish and wrong his thinking was.  It's not because you're a butcher,  it's because you're a traitor...

When EC was approached and begged by that poor little boy so afraid for his sister and I seemed to wonder why the heck is he  taking so long in deciding to help and respond.  If anyone should have mercy on that poor boy or understand that fear he should. In just a blink of an eye I was reminded why I love this dramas writer so much.  For EC gave that little boy something much more valuable than a helping hand.  He gave him courage and the realization that some things no matter what you might face. Whether you win or lose are worth fighting for.  Watching that boy pick up that rock and hit that Japanese soldier on the head.  Was like watching a little boy on his way to becoming a man...

How does one kill  or face a giant?  Having the courage in believing that you can...

Hello! New to the forum, I just started binging from Episodes 1-4 just yesterday and we just finished up 4 this evening! My husband and I are hooked. The cinematography is gorgeous and I love EC and AS's chemistry! Speaking of chemistry, it seems that all the male leads are falling for AS or is it just me? Can't wait to see how the rest of their storylines unfold

3 hours ago, miracle23 said:

Bwahahaha... can't help it! My brain is working at full force be it while drama watching or reading... main reason as well for being very picky of what to watch since I will be brain exhausted by the end of it. I am considering shelving this till it ends airing so that I can watch it in one go, skipping the fillers and going straight to the main plot. I am giving it another week, before going for a thriller genre. For the time being DM is too sorrowful to be left unsupported kekekeke! I was a gone case with Chilbong... I am still having flashbacks from those buckets of tears I cried for and with him.. Aigoo, my faint heart....

Agreed! DM's backstory was so sad! I can't believe they went so graphic with the content and it was really well done! Kudos to the writers

• Like 8

July 17, 2018.

《陽光先生》收視率再創新高,李秉憲演繹.  (A translation)

“Mr. Sunshine”  has reached a new high in ratings, and Lee Byung Hun performed.

According to the data provided by the rating company 'Nielsen Korea' on July 16, 2018, the average audience rating of the tvN new drama 'Mr. Sunshine' broadcast on the 15th reached 10.6, the highest audience rating reached 12.2, setting a new record for its own ratings.

20180717_1.jpg

In the fourth episode that aired on the 15th, Lee Byung Hun returned from the United States.  He found his enemies, the family that enslaved him.  He showed his identity to his enemies and pointed a gun at them, showing a very angry face. 

Kim Tae Ri saw Yoo Yeon Seok again.  He was bullied as a child because he was poor.  At that time. Kim Tae Ri helped him.   When they met again, Yoo Yeon Seok asked if she still regarded him as a lowly butcher.   Kim Tae Ri responded:  “To Me, you’re not a butcher.  You’re one of the people. I don’t know wht kind of look I gave you but I gave you that look not because you’re a butcher.  It’s because you’re a traitor.”

20180717_2.jpg

“Mr. Sunshine” starring Lee Byung Hun, Kim Tae Ri, Yoo Yeon Seok and Byun Yo Han,  with the backdrop of the 1900s,  tells the story about the man Eugene who returned to to his motherland as a US soldier (Lee Byung Hun) and the Korean aristocrat Miss Ko Ae Shin (Kim Tae Ri). The drama is produced by the company that made “Goblin”.  This is a multi-million-dollar investment and big production, and the highest cost Korean drama.

Source: People's Daily Online - Korea Channel  via LBH Baidu

•  
  • Like 6

Mr.Sunshine ep2

See you later alligator! 
After a while crocodile! :P

mrsun02_1.gif

All here for Lady Ae Shin fanclub meeting? :lol:

mrsun02_2.gif

mrsun02_3.gif

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

[SPOILERS!!!] Mr. Sunshine - Episode 3 + 4

Spoiler

2018071501001347600102791_20180714224717
Screen%2BShot%2B2018-07-15%2Bat%2B2.18.5
Screen%2BShot%2B2018-07-15%2Bat%2B2.18.4

Original Source (Sports Chosun via Naver): "Is he a foe or an ally"…'Mr. Sunshine' Kim Tae Ri confused by Lee Byung Hun's identity

1. [+3553, -418] I seriously watched it without knowing time was passing 

2. [+3187, -303] Personally, I find it fun to watch but I really feel like it's a loss. This problem isn't whether or not you know the time/period background. Because the cinematography and emotions are saving it instead of the story, it feels like they're extending a storyline that can be 1 minute into 5 minutes. Even the funny lines, it feels like they purposely put predictable puns to purposely make people laugh.. But the screen is really pretty. And it's overflowing with entertainment. But it's fact that it's a loss 

3. [+2120, -25] Today, you couldn't really hear what the actors were saying, it seems like it's a problem with the sound. It seems like they quickly need to give feedback 
↪ [+112, -1] Ah I thought only my ears were weird 

4. [+1244, -55] "What is love? I want to do it"

5. [+1303, -266] To be honest, even if Lee Byung Hun and Kim Tae Ri are in one shot, it's not heart fluttering at all...... 

Spoiler

2018071501001346000102601_20180714214418
Screen%2BShot%2B2018-07-15%2Bat%2B2.51.2
Screen%2BShot%2B2018-07-15%2Bat%2B2.51.1

1. [+938, -106] I can't hear what they're saying, I don't know what they're saying 

2. [+655, -71] Am I the only one who enjoyed it.. What's with the comments ㅋㅋ

3. [+386, -9] It's not just Lee Byung Hun but overall, you can't really hear the actors' lines. I think the sound department needs to do something.. It feels like there's too much bass? There's oong, oong, oong (t/n: the commenter is just describing what they're hearing LOL)

4. [+365, -48] Wow I was so immersed while watching I didn't know time was passing...it's like a movie

5. [+213, -6] The child actors and actors playing the moms in this drama are all good at acting 

0001048299_001_20180715215225463.jpg?typ

Spoiler

Screen%2BShot%2B2018-07-15%2Bat%2B3.05.1
Screen%2BShot%2B2018-07-15%2Bat%2B3.05.1

1. [+4441, -143] Because of Yoo Yeon Seok, I caught the Second Lead Syndrome again 
↪ [+233, -15] I caught the sub-Second Lead Syndrome ㅠ Byun Yo Han is also really heart fluttering. 
↪ [+401, -24] Because the male lead is Lee Byung Hun, it's perfect to catch Second Lead Syndrome... Yoo Yeon Seok, Byun Yo Han ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ

2. [+2509, -126] Kim Tae Ri isn't being pushed off to the side by Lee Byung Hun. The ability to lead opposites. 

3. [+2360, -89] I'm watching it right now but the actors' line up is shocking. It's really nice to see especially because of the purple tongue man ㄷㄷ and secretary from 'Goblin' ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ It's fun because they have small jokes.... And with Kim Tae Ri, even if you listen a little bit, her voice is really nice;;; ㅠ Her voice in the beer CF she filmed with Kim Hye Soo also sounded like a voice actor.... Anyways, it seems like only people who have guaranteed their acting skills comes out in this drama (t/n: This is their commercial together for the beer brand Kloud - X)
↪ [+165, -0] Purple tongue ahjussi ㅋㅋㅋ
↪ [+185, -0] I seriously thought from a long time ago that the secretary and purple tongue ahjussi from 'Goblin' looked alike ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ They really have the same vibes because they have similar facial characteristics ㅋㅋㅋㅋ

4. [+1307, -14] For acting, Kim Tae Ri and the actor playing her servant is the best!! ㅋ 

5. [+1261, -333] They keep dragging time by only showing too much of the face. At the last minute, it was really boring, who's directing~~ 
↪ [+167, -8] But the directing was good... ㅋㅋ 

6. [+625, -12] It feels like I'm doing a listening test every episode.   

0000660838_001_20180715212735571.jpg?typ
Spoiler

Screen%2BShot%2B2018-07-15%2Bat%2B3.35.4Screen%2BShot%2B2018-07-15%2Bat%2B3.35.5

1. [+988, -20] Is Kim Min Jung's visuals for real 

2. [+512, -8] Kim Tae Ri and Kim Min Jung have totally different faces but both of them are really pretty

3. [+339, -32] Please give us subtitles/captions ㅠㅠㅠㅠ I can't understand anything   

4. [+148, -3] The woman playing the role of the servant is really good at acting ㅋㅋ she really seems like a servant from that era ㅋㅋㅋ

cr
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Mr.Sunshine ep3

Jealous boss..

mrsun03_1.gif

Joseon Candy CF

mrsun03_2.gif

mrsun03_3.gif

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

Hello everyone :)  can’t help

but to post something.  I am totally in love with this drama.  KES is really good at selecting the cast.   You can feel the tension and attraction between the OTP and the others are truly great in portraying their character.  Ending for this drama will probably be an open ending.  I just don’t want sad, depressing one.  Between the 3 gentlemen, I think DM will sacrifice himself for AS as he knows that he will never be able to get her. 

In episode 4, EC’s ‘perhaps it’s jealousy...’. Is that a confession?  :D initially i could not catch it but after watching the episode again, my guess is that he felt something when one of the lady passenger mentioned a man saved AS from the japanese soldier and hence the need to protect her.  AS is a strong woman but clueless when it comes to affairs of the heart.  I almost spit out my drink when she asked EC about love.  That scene was really awkward :joy:

enough of my rambling ... anxiously waiting for the weekend.  Thank goodness for netflix, i could watch it 1hr after the telecast B)

• Like 6

Hello @zba72 and others. Everyone, welcome to the thread! :)

July 17, 2018

Mr. Sunshine: Episode 4

by dramallama Dramabeans.com

sunshine-04-00028.jpg

It’s a volatile time in Joseon, and it seems safer for everyone to disguise their true intentions, whether it’s loyalty, jealousy, or admiration. Eugene remains a mystery to Ae-shin, and she treads carefully around him, trying to figure out what side he’s on. Their relationship seems to determine how the allegiances of our other characters will align, and it’s sure to be a complicated web of emotions and unrealized intentions.

EPISODE 4 RECAP (HERE)

• Like 4

HAHAHA

I thought i would not like this drama because LBH on it, but KES prove me wrong. my...

I keep having this image of LBH as lee santa in my head, but he did act well on this drama. everytime i saw him with LTR, i was like, 'LTR move away! he is lee santa! careful! be very careful!' and then i went like, 'hmm.. he is good, this guy is really lee santa? hmm.. he can convince me as eugene.. well, this is eugene, can't find any trace of lee santa, hmm he is good. if only he doesn't play as eugene i could see myself fangirling hard on eugene, if only.'

KES is so good. i would describe her writting as solid and thoughtful, she is really a rare writer, every characters, every scenes are well thought and well made.

I love the 5 characters:

KH's layers self and her bad a*s personality,

HS with his identity crisis and how he is on the crossroad of choosing the harder way to be a good person or the easier way and be a bad person. An internal conflict between nature vs nurture.

GDM with his painful past and struggles, and how AS left too deep of a mark in his heart as the one and only person who ever gave him a hand and treat him like an actual human being,

EG with his hate to his motherland, and though he thought he already left all his old self behind 30 years ago, the moment he was back to korea all the memories, all the emotions came back like a wave, leaving him confused as how to act, as US military officer who wants to take advantage of korea even if he has to destroy the country and everyone in it, or as choi yu jin? the korean boy who longed for revenge.

The last but not least, AS. A sheltered noble girl, so innocent, most people that don't realize her willpower and bravery, can't  help but to treat her like a glass, when she is a diamond.

I love how in these early episodes everyone keep testing the water.

The most memorable for me is when GDM an AS in a palanquin.

A traumatic, physically and mentally badly hurt boy, confused as to why a noble girl helping him when even a commoners never even see him as a human being, let alone how awful they treat him.

Yet there he is, inside a luxurious palanquin with a noble girl who staring at him without a disgusted, creepy, mucky gaze.

Curious he is, he ask why and when found out it's because she is too innocent, too sheltered, she believe a words of someone named confucius when she doesn't know how easy people kill one another, how it's happen everyday, everytime, how worthless a life is. he got angry.

He wipes his bloody dirty mouths with the girl's expensive dress. Thinking, surely she will be angry at him for ruining her beautiful dress, feel disgusted by him, surely she will throws him out of the palanquin and abandoned him like his mother did, even his mother can't stand him, why would she?

Yet, miraculously she did not. 

She only staring at him shocked. no disgust, no anger, no abandonment.

his silence, deepest prayer granted.

• Like 6

On 7/15/2018 at 10:48 AM, daydreamer115 said:

Based on my understanding from his character's description, I think the reason why he didn't return was because of his hatred towards his horrible family and he's very scared of the power his family possess and the blood running through his vein. "I’m afraid of the blood running through my veins. If given the power it might be wielded inappropriately." So he probably thought that by living aimlessly and staying away from Joseon and his family for as long as he could, he would not turn dirty like his family nor cause harm to others like they did? He is probably afraid that he'd also turn to the dark side if he ever succumb to what is demanded from him as the only heir to the powerful family.

And I find this bit of Hee Sung's scene from the highlight video so interesting:

One of the most interesting persona even from the highlight. Also i have a feeling that he might be the villain among the five as the story progresses. 

Though  fresh and better, but has some good old days moves, I still see KESmight write her second leads as something gentle but brave (Lovers) and or a villain in the middle (Lovers in Paris).

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • Like 3

Mr.Sunshine ep4

Keep Calm, Comely Comrade

mrsun04_1.gif

Oh.My.Gun.

mrsun04_2.gif

Conveniently.. caught..

mrsun04_3.gif

• Like 2
  • LOL 5

3 hours ago, katakwasabi said:

https://www.koreaboo.com/news/koreans-file-petition-mr-sunshine-distorting-history/

Apparently there's a petition going on saying mr sunshine is distorting history :ph34r:

The petition maker and the supporters seem like they were mainly mad because the main villain was a Joseon person (Lee Wan Ik), there is a background story to a character who went to work for the Japanese (Dong Mae) and then the main leads were shown to not have loyalty to Joseon. They were mad that Joseon and some of the people were shown as problematic and becoming traitors. Other than harmless inaccuracies, I'm not sure what distortion of history they were talking about specifically - whether they are really grave that warrants the word distortion. 

It is a drama and we know dramas are fictional and will not contain a 100% historical accuracies since it's not a historical documentary. But at the same time, I think Mr. Sunshine doesn't blatantly make wrongful portrayals either. Joseon government and their isolationist policy was true, Battle of Ganghwa was portrayed correctly - the Korean government abandoned their own people who fought for the country and became war prisoners, they call the war prisoners as cowards and up to the American on how to treat them (imagine the betrayal felt). The existence of caste system was true, the slaves, the outcast group Baekjeong (butchers) where Dong Mae was born to and their discriminations against them were true too. 

They were so afraid that the foreigners will get wrong idea about Korea...what? Do they think if we watch this we would suddenly think that Japan who colonized them as not guilty? Seriously? Are they underestimating us the international viewers and our thinking abilities when watching a fiction?

I think I agree with these more from the article: 

Of course, many did not think the drama’s portrayals were that serious and disagreed with the petitioner’s point of view as well.

• “Late Joseon was a terrible country…Those people who betrayed their country and their own people were obviously worse but it’s still a fact that Joseon’s royal family was just as incompetent and irresponsible as the people who run our current politics.”
  • “The logic of the petition is wrong. That’s not historical distortion. They should ask why they are ignoring the general sentiment and talk about the emotional side. For all of those events, there were traitors but there were also good people involved. Don’t call it distortion.”
  • “It’s just a drama for goodness sakes lol…I understand issues with the Japanese are sensitive but still. You guys will have a fit if you watch SF movies. If you watch movies like Jurassic Park you may faint. Let’s just accept fiction as it is.”
  • “Whatever, Joseon was doomed even before Japan invaded…It was better during King Sejong but as it got into later Joseon, the lives of the lower class were worse than animals and that’s a fact.”

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 7/16/2018 at 8:24 AM, charray said:

I also like how Eugene helped the boy and his sister  fought the Japanese baddie but told the boy that this is his own fight and he is only supporting him. But is this a prelude to the position that he would take with regards to the future fight by Joseon people for the sovereignty of Joseon? 

I also like the scene when he went to get information from the 2 former slave hunters turned traders. And the relevation that they actually found him and knew that he was hiding in the crate but chose to let him off. I felt this realisation is going to help him reconcile with his past......that it was not as bad as he thought...that there were good people in Joseon who helped him......

Don’t quite get it:

How did Kim Min Jun’s character suddenly  develop her one sided crush on Eugene......I am like when and how did it happen? How did Dong Mae develop his one sided crush on Ae Shin? From that one encounter in their childhood? I am not feeling it. Show must give them more interactions and encounters together for it to be more believable to me. 

Just wanted to add.

When Eugene asked the boy to own his battle and actions, it reflects on his own conservative position of not meddling with others.  He has displayed this non-confrontational attitude before when his interpreter Im Kwan Soo was taken away by DM's men.   At this time, he has no emotional connection to Joseon or identify with the precarious fight of its people from the Japanese.  There is no strong emotional pull for him to save Joseon yet. He's willing to help the boy but not enough to engage in something that could lead to an international incident. After all, he is part of the American consulate and a soldier who is smart enough to realize these turbulent times require him to stay neutral.  That said, he saw the unjust situation as something he can't ignore.  Asking the boy to take accountability of his problem is the same as side stepping to let Im Kwan Soo find a way out of his own situation.  The attitude Eugene took mirrors the 1930's America where the US took extreme measures to remain free of world chaos to protect its own interest.  It took a lot for US to enter into WWI.  For the boy, he must realize that the fight is his responsibility and no one else.  Joseon at the time were maneuvering alliances for its own best interest, positioning the Russians/ Americans to fend off the Japanese.  Savyy as it is, maybe the better way is for Joseon to survive is for its people to collectively fought with the mindset that this is their battle to win and no one else.

Knowing that he was spared by the slave hunters brought Eugene one step closer to realizing exactly that.  I don't think he has ever thought that Joseon is a country that he can be proud of or identify with.   Slowly, we see him accepting his roots not as something he hated or want to dissociate from.

IKR.  What I am seeing are people with different interests and emotional baggages who eventually will need to resolve their issues and come together as a group to save Joseon.  The feelings that Dong Mae and Heena have currently are a little "romantic".  For DM, I feel like he raised AS on a pedestal from that one childhood incident and in that memory, she was his savior.  Memories are fuzzy, we sometimes remember things as grander than they actually are.  Heena has never met a decent man, poor thing.  Does she actually love Eugene or the idea of chivalry?  I agree, we need to see more.

On 7/15/2018 at 1:48 AM, daydreamer115 said:

Based on my understanding from his character's description, I think the reason why he didn't return was because of his hatred towards his horrible family and he's very scared of the power his family possess and the blood running through his vein. "I’m afraid of the blood running through my veins. If given the power it might be wielded inappropriately." So he probably thought that by living aimlessly and staying away from Joseon and his family for as long as he could, he would not turn dirty like his family nor cause harm to others like they did? He is probably afraid that he'd also turn to the dark side if he ever succumb to what is demanded from him as the only heir to the powerful family.

Thank you.  Hee Sung has so much potential. I would like to see him rise above his station in life, the family and legacy that he believes is his curse.  His story will give us so much hope that people and the country can change its terrible past.  Hee Sung stands at the brink, I think he actually symbolizes the Joseon that is changing.  I believe in his ability and potential, think he is able to carry the country that is divided into the modern era... to show us that its youth is able to better the country.

• Like 7

Annyeonghaseo! I'm new to this forum. When I watched 1st episode, I did think that Kim Tae Ri looked very young, like 18-23yo. I was not sure that I'd like this drama. But here I am now, I can't hardly wait for the next episode! LBH, there's something about him that so alluring!

I've watched EP 4 for the 3rd time now :D

• Like 6