[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

15 hours ago, charray said:

I am surprised and taken aback how she admitted that she was the sniper so easily to Eugene on the boat. Eugene is surprised too.

12 hours ago, bedifferent said:

I  totally feel the chemistry between Yoo-Jin and Ae Shin, props to LBH and KTR's acting.  I love how LBH's world weary matured character opening up, falling against his own jaded nature, to the innocent Ae Shin.  Her fighting spirit is contagious, how can any man resists.  I like how we see their connections early at this point, think it's a very smart way to have two character with an age gap connect.  On more than a physical level, esp for Ae Shin who is attractive and could have liked anyone.  Why this American soldier :)?  That scene is funny cuz Ae Shin is not as smart as she thinks and it shows some of Joseon's sensibility when first get exposed to the West.

7 hours ago, USAFarmgirl said:

The Courage Of A Woman's Heart...

Ae Shin gives us a view of a young woman's innocence covered up with the skin of courage.

Like a lion who isn't afraid to roar even if she isn't sure where it will lead or in whom to believe.  Her love and emotions for her country, it's people whether rich or poor.  Even more it's rich history and heritage and way of life that is a very real part of who she is.  Strong spirited and yet humbled in a way in seeing the changes taking place around her that make her aware that one cannot hold back what others consider progress even those things and people you cannot understand nor can they understand her...

I had a strong sense of sadness in the things I saw in this latest episode.  The story itself is rich with words that feel deeper than even their meaning.  It's as if every word moves further than even it's sound. Wrapped around these broken yet bold characters is a unique view of cinematography that is both dark and yet light.  Colorful and yet black and white...

I think seeing this story unfold through Ae Shin and the changes not only she but also we see through her won't be easy on a softy like me.  Still with one eye closed and one eye half covered up I find this beginning much to interesting to let go of...

I admire that she took that gun from the Japanese soldier on the train and didn't back down, was bold and fearless. No matter how foolish it may have seemed to some around her.  But to those like her hunkered down in their seat in fear watching her filled with courage it must have meant everything.   Still it only took a moment to see the sadness in her eyes while watching the American soldiers board that train too.

It's as if her country was being divided, destroyed from within and eaten up by greed, force and the power of others.

How hurtful that would be to see.

In just that view.

I felt for her and I felt for her country and it's people too...

I went back far enough to read these wonderful comments. Well said, @bedifferent and @USAFarmgirl you guys nailed it ! :thumbsup: Worth quoting again.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

July 15, 2018.

李秉憲談尤金崔

Lee Byung Hun discusses Choi Yoo Jin (Eugene Choi)  (a translation) 

https://www.weibo.com/tv/v/GotVRhhB0?fid=1034:4258349185988382

Q. 自我介紹.

我是在陽光先生中扮演尤金寉的李秉憲.  年幼在辛未洋擾時乘座美國的軍艦逃亡           去了美國. 作為美國人生活了30年又重新回到了韓國,雖然外表是韓國人但是某一程度上內在是美國人是這樣的一個人物.

Q. Introduce yourself. 

LBH:  I am Lee Byung Hun who played Eugene Choi in “Mr. Sunshine.”   When I was young, I     fled to the United States on a US Warship during Shinmiyangyo.   After living as an American for 30 years, I returned to Korea.  Although my appearance is that of a Korean, but to some extent, I am American.  Eugene is such a person. 

Q. 對尤金來說朝鮮是?

朝鮮這個國家是我想要復仇的一個地方同時也是我的祖國, 是這樣的一個角色.

Q. What is Korea to Eugene?

LBH: The country of Korea is a place where I want revenge and it is also my motherland. This is such a role.

Q. 尤金的魅力點?

非常的誠實因為誠實 有時候又有种不謙逊的感覺 看起來非常的冷漠 雖然會給人非常沉悶的初印象 但是該負責的時候也會負責 冷靜的同事又很有自信 、我認為這正是宥鎮的魅力 。英語也很好 因為在美國的時候有日本朋友所以日語也很好 因為韓語是母語所以也很好 。是英語韓語日語沒有不會的那樣一個角色的故事。

Q. What is Eugene’s charm?

LBH:  Very honest.   Because of my honesty, sometimes there is feeling that I am not humble.  I come across as being very cold.  Although I give people a very dull first impression, but when I need to be responsible, I am responsible.  I am calm and have a lot of self confidence.  I think this is exactly Eugene’s charm.  My English is very good. As I have Japanese friends in the United Startes, My Japanese is also good.  Since Korean is my mother tongue, my Korean is also very good.  I am a character that can speak English, Japanese and Korean. 

選擇《陽光先生》的理由的理由?

我們的劇是在電影和電視劇中不常討論的1900年前後的故事。在視覺方面非常的新鮮也有新的嘗試。尤金崔這個角色又是在獨特的時代的人物  在那個時代要怎樣表演要怎樣創造這個角色對我來說感覺是一個作業,也有在進行新鮮由有趣的創作 因此大家也能夠津津有味的觀看。特別這部劇的時代背景是在1900年前後這樣一個時代背景。視覺方面還有那個時代的情感等方面 我認為能給大家帶來全新的感受。請多多期待。

Q.  Why did you choose “Mr. Sunshine” ?

LBH: Our drama is based upon the period before and after 1900, an era not often discussed in movies and drama series.  Visually, it is refreshing, and it is a new attempt.  Eugene Choi is a character in an unique era.  How to act in that era; how  to create this role is a homework for me and to produce a fresh and interesting creation so everyone can enjoy watching.  In particular, the background of this drama is the era before and after 1900. The visual aspect and the emotions of that era can bring a brand-new feeling to everyone. Please look forward to it.

Source:    LBHfan @ weibo

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Hello!

It took me three episodes to feel in this drama, but now i'm hooked so i'll spend some time in this thread too haha...I liked the more intimate scenes between the main characters in episode 3, i think that's how i could connect to the characters finally, beautifully done~ and i'm really amazed by the cinematography!

I love Ae Shin, what a strong character and Eugene is intriguing too, i can understand that they will be drawn to each other. Both really act with their eyes. I like the timeline too, i was also a fan of Chicago ghostwriter. Not a super fan of the writer's earlier work but always check them out. Big budget does make a big difference, especially in acting and setting. I'm curious how the story will unfold :) 

• Like 8

5 hours ago, charray said:

I am quite interested in Hee Sung’s arc. What made him stay away so long from home? Is it really studies? In the scene with the tailor, they talked about Ae Shin’s fiance and she said that studies come first so she knows who her fiancé is. Wonder how she felt about him?

Based on my understanding from his character's description, I think the reason why he didn't return was because of his hatred towards his horrible family and he's very scared of the power his family possess and the blood running through his vein. "I’m afraid of the blood running through my veins. If given the power it might be wielded inappropriately." So he probably thought that by living aimlessly and staying away from Joseon and his family for as long as he could, he would not turn dirty like his family nor cause harm to others like they did? He is probably afraid that he'd also turn to the dark side if he ever succumb to what is demanded from him as the only heir to the powerful family.

And I find this bit of Hee Sung's scene from the highlight video so interesting:

QJssxbJ.jpg 
9nNflGF.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

July 15, 2018

Yoo Yeon Seok And Kim Min Jung Say A Lot About Their Characters Through Beautiful Period Costumes In “Mr. Sunshine”

Source: Soompi by C. Hong

yoo-yeon-seok-kim-min-jung-mr.-sunshine.jpg

On July 15, tvN’s “Mr. Sunshine” released photos of Yoo Yeon Seok and Kim Min Jung in beautiful period costumes for the episode airing later that night.

Yoo Yeon Seok has fully embraced the rough, rebellious side of his character in the historical drama, but stands out in the new photos in bright red silk and a bloodied face. Off-camera is Kim Tae Ri, who has just reunited with Yoo Yeon Seok’s character.

yoo-yeon-seok-mr.-sunshine1.jpg

Meanwhile, Kim Min Jung has left her elaborate Western-style gowns and hats behind for hanbok [traditional Korean clothes] and a simpler hairstyle. Moreover, she looks less confident and more sorrowful than she had been known to do in the past.

Kim Min Jung’s scene was filmed in Chungcheongnam Province and was the first time the actress had to film in hanbok. Although the costume was unfamiliar to her and required more prep time ahead of filming, she was able to get in character straight away.

mr.-sunshine-kim-min-jung.jpg

Spoiler

mr.-sunshine-kim-min-jung-.jpg

Spoiler

kim-min-jung-mr.-sunshine.jpg

The production staff stated, “Kim Min Jung’s character has suffered from the decisions that her father chose for her life, but has also revolutionized the way she lived. Kim Min Jung’s acting perfectly supports Hina’s complicated past, so please look forward to what she does with the character going forward.”

Source (1) (2)

• Like 7

7 hours ago, charray said:

No, they did not change that part. Dong Mae is the leader of the Black Dragon Society in Joseon in episode 3.

https://www.soompi.com/2018/07/13/mr-sunshine-changing-certain-details-yoo-yeon-seoks-character-controversy/

They plan to change it though i think.

On “Mr. Sunshine’s” official website, the character description for Goo Dong Mae has changed. Previously, it had stated that Go Dong Mae was part of the Black Dragon Society, which many people pointed out was historically pro-Japanese.

4 hours ago, bedifferent said:

When that girl he was with in Japan told him he should sell Korea he did not seem to happy about it.

2 hours ago, peonie said:

If this show is based around that time Korea gets taken over by Japan after that time and dont get independence until much later so makes me a lil worried for ending but thats far away. It was split between japan,russia,america.

Korea was under Japan rule from 1905 to 1945 so basically what ever they fight for goes to waste..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wotad said:

They plan to change it though i think.

On “Mr. Sunshine’s” official website, the character description for Goo Dong Mae has changed. Previously, it had stated that Go Dong Mae was part of the Black Dragon Society, which many people pointed out was historically pro-Japanese.

Not sure how they are going to change that when the characters in episode 3 talked about Black Dragon Society killing people and Dong  Mae being the head. Hope the production house knows what they are doing.

• Like 2

Dong Mae... Other than Ae Shin and Hina, you have just stolen the show and I am 100% percent Team DM even after seeing him kill those men. And I know who he reminds me of... Bidam from Queen Seondeok.

19048-Help-Me-Gif.gif?1

Why couldn't you be the male lead?! OMG, I NEED HELP! Him and Ae Shin haven't even fully interacted yet but when they were just staring at each other... Oh, the connection I felt, the chemistry... And all his sexiness is not helping! THE SLS HAS TAKEN OVER....

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

Watching.  Has to stop for a moment to say I LOVE KMJ’s costumes, the dresses, hat, kimonos are exquisite! Her face fits period drama.  Her profile, stand so statuesque.  I totally agree with the lady when she told Ae Shin that Hina’s beauty is unrivaled.  Her character is deeply layered, love how it is not straightforward as Ae Shin.

• Like 6

I think Goo Dongmae wont get a redemption arc because based on history Japan takes over Korea for like 40 years would make sense for him to betray Korea which helps Japan invade? 

I wish it was not based around a real history event because it basically means that they will lose at the end or win then lose few years later. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon or Good evening CHingu's 

I have just one word for this drama                                       DAEBAK!!!!

I loved episodes 3 & 4. The introduction to Dong-Mae and Hee-Sung. Dong-Mae's story wasn't scary but sad and the way the writer told us his tory was well put together. It made me feel for him and root for him. I want him to succeed and will never judge him for his actions because he is only trying to make a living which doesn't have any label on him so other people can bully him. 

I feel that Ae Shin is like @bedifferent @USAFarmgirl @meechuttso said she is bold and very naive. She has lived a sheltered life and doesn't really know what she got herself involved with. She put her trust in people who have no power to protect her. I believe that DM and Yoojin will do whatever they have to protect her. She won't like it how they do it but they will do it because she doesn't know have the full picture in what she is involved with. She is brave, loyal and loves her country. She has seen the injustice in her country but doesn't really understood what these betrayal can do to a person. I think Dong Mae is already in her heart ( platonically speaking) and as the drama progresses their bond will get stronger which will also include Hee-Na and Yoo Jin.   nJ3RE5ycYzJe8ePBwEWjDZM5mF-MnqLbUMGHGAyjI don't think this drama will end in a HEA.

Hee Sung just seem like a playboy to me and really doesn't want to follow in grandfather's footsteps. THis character didn't really move me but there still more episodes to go and maybe that will change.

Hee-Na will do what she can to protect DOng Mae and Yoo Jin when/If  she can. She will become friends with Ae Shi. I think Ae Shin will grow on her and  she will learn alot for Hee-Na. I really hope there is't any angst between them.  Hee Na seemed way to mature to play this game just to attract a men's attention. 

• Like 8

Hello to everyone!!! :)))

I really enjoy watching this show, everything from cinematography, costume design and acting is perfect and top notch!!

The storytelling is amazing and each of the characters are very well written and make me curious of what will be next for them.

I am especially intrigued by Hee Sung and his arc. So I wonder what are your thoughts on his character development and his relationship with Ae Shin. I  think and I hope that he is in some way involved in the Righteous Army (i'm not sure of the name) and there will be an awesome twist in the show later on.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, charray said:

Not sure how they are going to change that when the characters in episode 3 talked about Black Dragon Society killing people and Dong  Mae being the head. Hope the production house knows what they are doing.

8 hours ago, scarletlover1 said:

Dong Mae... Other than Ae Shin and Hina, you have just stolen the show and I am 100% percent Team DM even after seeing him kill those men. And I know who he reminds me of... Bidam from Queen Seondeok.

Why couldn't you be the male lead?! OMG, I NEED HELP! Him and Ae Shin haven't even fully interacted yet but when they were just staring at each other... Oh, the connection I felt, the chemistry... And all his sexiness is not helping! THE SLS HAS TAKEN OVER....

With all the interest in GDM here, I was glad to see that GDM and AS's more complex back story was shown in detail in Ep 4. Here was the punchline between the two of them, however.

Spoiler

When GDM stops to pay his respects to AS, he feels she still looks down at him as a 'butcher' (or butcher's child). But she tells him, she does not look down at him, that he is mistaken, and the reason he feels like she is looking down at him is not because he is of a butcher's family, but because he's a turncoat. Ouch! SLS will break your heart.

In Ep 4, it may seem a bit slow because more chess pieces are being set, and it's very well done, the writer incorporating many little 'trigger points' regarding the Japanese for the SK audience, but much of it as expected I'm afraid.:crazy:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wotad said:

I agree that i dont think it will end with a happy ending . 

@Wotad  I hate that the drama's with no HEA are usually the kdrama's or Cdrama's are the most memorable to me.  I always choose them without reading the synopsis.

1 hour ago, UnniSarah said:

@Wotad  I hate that the drama's with no HEA are usually the kdrama's or Cdrama's are the most memorable to me.  I always choose them without reading the synopsis.

Does the director/writter have a history of good ending's if so we got a decent chance , will most likely be a good ending but then you read the history or we might get a flash forward.

Im watching Mr Sunshine,Fu yao,Legend of Yun Xi ,whats wrong with secretary kim  as well ;p 

• Like 1

AGB Nielsen Rating

Episode 1   7/7/18       8.852%

Episode 2   7/8/18       9.691%

Episode 3   7/14/18    10.082%

Episode 4   7/15/18    10.567%

Source

Did anyone post this?

일레인 (Elaine)  - 슬픈 행진 (Sad March) 미스터 션샤인 OST Part 2 

• Like 4