[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

25 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

I mean the redemption arc of his character... he's part of the Black Dragon Society although he's a Joseon.  In the future, when Japan starts to annex the country, I am hoping he will turn to support the resistance.

I didn't think  he planned to, he was forced to follow orders.  After he met GDM, confirming that Logan Taylor was playing too many pawns, Eugene wanted to stay out of it.  That seems to me like his genuine feelings.. he thought he achieved the objective that his commander wanted him to - kill and silence the leak.  However, the next scene, King Gojong told his court advisor that they didn't find an important document that Logan Taylor had on him.  I think this is the same document that GDM was searching for as well.  Minister Allan may have another idea but Eugene didn't know for sure.  King Gojong was forced to allow the Americans into Joseon to help protect the country from Japan.  

When he met Ae Shin at the tailor shop, he has already known his next order even though she has no idea why he is having a blue suit made.  Think that was his uniform.

@USAFarmgirl the scene on the train was very moving... she felt helpless and alone.  The last scene where everything greyed out with only Ae Shin left in color.  She's their last hope.

I thought they changed it so hes not part of the black dragon society now. Ae Shin is the last hope for the country does that mean she becomes queen . The current King is useless. 

• Like 1

@bedifferent & @UnniSarah  Always thankful to see you Chingu's on any thread...  This isn't my usual type of drama but I am going to stick with it spread my wings and fly.   Hopefully through the darkness of this story that's already making me want to.... 

HIDE

21047492.pngAND 21047509.pngCRY

Still not sure about the title:smirk:images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ0djBuPvrsG6UaUBkb84z:unsure:

Welcome back @Ahpheng been missing you!!!

8 minutes ago, UnniSarah said:

I think Yoo Jin and GDM will come to see eye to eye because of Ae Shin. They both have suffered at the hand of the uppler class of Joseon. I don't think they will fight for Joseon but will respect Ae Shin who does fight for Joseon. All three will fight for what benefits them best because that is who they are now. what do you think @bedifferent  ???

They will fight for Joseon but not the current Joseon.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, UnniSarah said:

I think Yoo Jin and GDM will come to see eye to eye because of Ae Shin. They both have suffered at the hand of the uppler class of Joseon. I don't think they will fight for Joseon but will respect Ae Shin who does fight for Joseon. All three will fight for what benefits them best because that is who they are now. what do you think @bedifferent  ???

Ae Shin is the bridge and glue to connect the new and old Korea.  I think the people need to be shown that Joseon cares for its people. King Gojong marked the end of the monarchy and he ushered in the new ROK.  I think he was pretty savyy playing the Russians, Chinese and Japan against each other. He favors the Americans, hoping to have protection from others. His open door policies are contentious for his people to get use to.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

Ae Shin is the bridge and glue to connect the new and old Korea.  I think the people need to be shown that Joseon cares for its people. King Gojong marked the end of the monarchy and he ushered in the new ROK.  I think he was pretty savyy playing the Russians, Chinese and Japan against each other. He favors the Americans, hoping to have protection from others. His open door policies are contentious for his people to get use to.

I see so King Gojong is the last of the Monarchy .. damn i wanted Ae Shin to be queen ;p

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

I stayed up waiting for the subs and just finished Ep. 3. The sword scenes are not that violent. The standard is the same as commonly depicted in sageuks. The kettlebell killing scenes in the Voice were much much worse.

My other thoughts on eps. 3 are:

1. the whole pace is a bit slow for today's episode
  2. No Hina *sob*sob* KMJ trully suits Hina. I have watched her in Merchant of Gaekju. She was strong, awesome and excellent in potraying her character! I will turn a blind eye for her acting in Man to Man. That was a work not ever should be mentioned. I blame it on the writing.
  3. AS asking what love is and whether Eugene wanna do it together is eye-bogglingly (is that even a word?!) funny... Eugene's answers... awkward situation there.... oh man, if only she knew what love means
  4. At the boat, AS is openly flirting and Eugene kinda look dumbfounded by it (and I am feeling kinda outta sort and mostly blank. Truth is I cringed at it and the subsequent scenes of these two - bad sign for me, very very bad sign - *sigh*. As much as I am a fan of LBY previous works - from beautiful days to Red 2 etc., yeah I watched 95% of his works - I am having some very hard time feeling the chemistry and accepting them. I need more motivation, perhaps in the next episode?)
  5. Love love love the tarot lady and the emotions she was delivering ... she does not have to say a word, she already wins my heart plus she is beautiful too... why do I feel like she is going to die? I wish her for GDM!
  6. Seems like the supporting characters are filling up the screen times longer that need be, and the flashbacks are seemingly slower in my eyes, can't help tapping my feet impatiently. Perhaps all this is the cause for the slow pace? I am ok with filler, so long as it is not overdone.

Please writer-nim, I haven't watched any of your dramas cause the plots thus far haven't got me hooked and sinked. I think I accidently caught on DOTS ep. 4 but the ones that caught my eyes were the second leads, Jin Gu and Kim Ji Won. Guess this is just a matter of preference.

I am not convince when I heard of LBH storyline with AS and I initially thought to give this a pass. However, I decided not to primarily for the historical premises it promises and GDM (of course, a supplementary treat). Please don't let me down, writer-nim. I have been having trust deficit on many drama shows for quite some time.. please let this be one of those rare gems *fervently praying for a great show from a to z* :)

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, miracle23 said:

1. At the boat, AS is openly flirting and Eugene kinda look dumbfounded by it (and I am feeling kinda outta sort and mostly blank. Truth is I cringed at it and the subsequent scenes of these two - bad sign for me, very very bad sign - *sigh*. As much as

I didn't cringe at the flirting it just felt a bit rushed im like she already likes him after barely even seeing/meeting him.. felt really rushed. I had to rewind to actually get what she was saying i was like what?

I have never watched goblin or DOTS but im liking this show so far will most likely get round to watching them.

• Like 7

I ship the two and I find very funny the scene in the taylor shop...she's really clueless I'm sure he could see that. In the final scene, he also is trying to give her hints of what she can do to avoid problems, but she's already thinking too much of it  and mistaking his position in all the events. I think he planned to stay out of Joseon problems as possible, but he will eventually get in to it to protect her :wub:

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

@miracle23 nod to the cringy moments on the boat.  I feel just like LBH looked :lol: sooo uncomfortable.  If he did not have that heavy winter coat on, he would have jumped and swam ashore!

Do think it’s deliberately cringy cuz Ae Shin has no idea what romance is :lol:

Regarding the boat scene, I think romance to Ae Shin is the high feeling she gets when she is in her rebel fighter operantus mode. Agree with @bedifferent  that she has no idea about the romance between man and woman kind. She had led a sheltered life and quite ignorant of many things being still unmarried at the ripe “old” age of 28. 

I am quite interested in Hee Sung’s arc. What made him stay away so long from home? Is it really studies? In the scene with the tailor, they talked about Ae Shin’s fiance and she said that studies come first so she knows who her fiancé is. Wonder how she felt about him?

I like how Eugene reacted to his encounters with the Black Dragon Society like how he is not adverse to act like a coward or scumbag who would abandon his staff to their mercy. A non conventional hero? 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Wotad said:

Is it still the black dragon society or did they change that?

No, they did not change that part. Dong Mae is the leader of the Black Dragon Society in Joseon in episode 3.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, charray said:

I am quite interested in Hee Sung’s arc. What made him stay away so long from home? Is it really studies? In the scene with the tailor, they talked about Ae Shin’s fiance and she said that studies come first so she knows who her fiancé is. Wonder how she felt about him?

IKR, his character is odd, kinda out of place in this whole scheme.  HS resents his grandather’s fortune and has no desire to come home to take the position he is expected to fill.  Like Ae Shin, he doesn’t want to enter into an arranged marriagein order to merge two old noble houses.  He squanders his family fortune in Japan.  From what we see in the short scene, his room is full of books.  An education is what Ae Shin always desire since she was young so I too wonder if she is impressed with HS when they finally meet.  He lives the modern way of life that she wants.

Supposedly HS is a charming guy. He’ll be a good businessman esp when he is fluent in Japanese.  His way to fortune is different than his grandad.  Not sure how he feels about Joseon and Japan and all its politics.  Does he care or will he learn to care about his own country?  

• Like 8

I have a feeling HS is on Joseon side. He may seem ignorant to the current predicament in the country, I think he chose to be seen in such a way, easy to do his thing when people choose to ignore him or not take him seriously. From his scenes I felt sadness, like he wish there is more he can do for his country... maybe I read it wrongly cause I just can't see him having pure evil side from the get go...

• Like 7

3 hours ago, miracle23 said:

At the boat, AS is openly flirting and Eugene kinda look dumbfounded by it (and I am feeling kinda outta sort and mostly blank. Truth is I cringed at it and the subsequent scenes of these two - bad sign for me, very very bad sign - *sigh*. As much as I am a fan of LBY previous works - from beautiful days to Red 2 etc., yeah I watched 95% of his works - I am having some very hard time feeling the chemistry and accepting them. I need more motivation, perhaps in the next episode?)

3 hours ago, bedifferent said:

@miracle23 nod to the cringy moments on the boat.  I feel just like LBH looked :lol: sooo uncomfortable.  If he did not have that heavy winter coat on, he would have jumped and swam ashore!

Do think it’s deliberately cringy cuz Ae Shin has no idea what romance is :lol:

2 hours ago, charray said:

Regarding the boat scene, I think romance to Ae Shin is the high feeling she gets when she is in her rebel fighter operantus mode. Agree with

2 hours ago, charray said:

that she has no idea about the romance between man and woman kind. She had led a sheltered life and quite ignorant of many things being still unmarried at the ripe “old” age of 28.  

Hola friends and acquaintances alike. It's always fascinating how we all remember the same scenes so differently.

I managed to stay out of previous tvN works threads save for one, but I am unable to resist the temptation to do so in this epic. Against my own bias coming into it, still frankly the most moving of the tvN works so far, at least these 3 eps for me. Got goosebumps, chills, had to hold back tears watching. The boat scene, on the way to the potter, yes we laughed at how improbable that would be a 100 years ago in Korea. But the dialog on the slow boat ride back, where AS opens up so suddenly, it was so unexpected and beautiful, for me it was the  highlight in capturing the essence of the freedom fighter blood coursing thru her veins and boiling over into heroics. The subs fall quite short in conveying the nuance and intentional double meanings, the true romanticism of the young woman's heart in all that. Very cleverly done by the writer.:wub:

Her sudden boat confession revealed her supple and stil-untainted heart, full of idealism and love for her country, just like her grandfather and her martyred parents, so wanting to believe that Eugene Choi was on the same side as she, in her brave but lonely secret fight against tyranny and for what is right, against the hated foreign enemies or those who sell out her beloved Joseon for personal gain. After staying mum to so many of his questions, yet so wanting to find a kindred heart and fellow traveler in her journey - like a little girl, she throws caution to the wind and throws her virgin heart right at him, not realizing he can trample on it.:innocent: Once she decided to trust, she went all in, as they say.

I did not think she would do it so soon and so suddenly.:love: But it's her naked vulnerability that leaves him completely defenseless, of course.:sweatingbullets:

The subsequent scene at the tailor with her questioning about 'LoBu' is much more contrived and just funny and a good reminder that I am still watching signature k-drama, after all, and not some North Korean patriotic infomercial channel, or DoTS, for that matter. LoL.;) I think I'm hooked. No turning back now. Kim Tae-Ri is what I started watching for, but I am staying around for her character's beloved Joseon and its people, my forefathers and mothers who gave their lives and their all, so we can have... android phones instead of iphones?:naughty: LoL, trying to keep it loose here, because the subject matter is so heavy like all the countless other Korea-Japan-imperialism-Japanesekill the enemy who raped our grandmothers and haven't apologized yet stories.:crazy: I had grown weary of those stories, but I will endure just a few more episodes, I promise I'll leave when it gets ugly and bloody, I swear!

• Like 9