[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

Is anyone noticing the OSTs somewhat feels restricted on TVN dramas (the ones bought by Netflix)? 

I was thinking why I'm not so emotionally absorbed yet with Mr. Sunshine. There were some scenes where I was hoping for Korean bgm to come through, but there was either no music/filler bgm music/or that English birdy-like song. I guess I'm one of the traditional listeners who enjoys Korean tracks (and how they insert it over emotional scenes) over English ones haha. I dunno it just feels like Netflix has had a play on how the bgm is formed. 

Not that I hate all English tracks (Age of Youth ost), just for this drama it's awkward having to wait til the end of the show to hear a Korean track. I know I'm salty :bawling:  and it's only been two episodes.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, kasjady said:

Is anyone noticing the OSTs somewhat feels restricted on TVN dramas (the ones bought by Netflix)? 

I was thinking why I'm not so emotionally absorbed yet with Mr. Sunshine. There were some scenes where I was hoping for Korean bgm to come through, but there was either no music/filler bgm music/or that English birdy-like song. I guess I'm one of the traditional listeners who enjoys Korean tracks (and how they insert it over emotional scenes) over English ones haha. I dunno it just feels like Netflix has had a play on how the bgm is formed. 

Not that I hate all English tracks (Age of Youth ost), just for this drama it's awkward having to wait til the end of the show to hear a Korean track. I know I'm salty :bawling:  and it's only been two episodes.

K-drama lately tends to have more English soundtracks than Korean one; I don't know why, maybe to get more international viewers to buy the soundtrack :confused:

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Another post discussing the age of the lead characters extracted from Weibo below:

#阳光先生[超话]##Mr.Sunshine# 今天把前两集重新看了一遍整理了一下时间线,推算了一下人物年龄,发现李秉宪这种年龄段的演员演男主也没啥违和的

第一集从1871年开始讲,那个时候男主的年龄个人感觉是6岁左右(剧里应该没有明说,后面或许会讲),男三(金熙星)出生,同时许在如将军那边有一个义兵少年,从他说会打野兔和野鸡说明他是女主老师的小时候,女二(工藤阳花)的爸爸也出场了

然后就到了1875也就是四年后女二的爸爸投靠霓虹,女主出生同时父母牺牲,接着就到了1894年,男三出国留学,女主开始弃文从武

最后到了男主回国的主时间线也就是1902年,这个时候已经换年号了,女主的年龄是27岁左右(因为只是推算就用左右了),男三金熙星的年龄是31岁左右,男主年龄大概在37岁左右

大家年纪都挺大的了,那个年代女主也该嫁了hhh目前我还不知道男二的具体身份以及他和女二的年龄,然后这些都只是我的一些猜想,如果其中有错误的话欢迎大家指出然后一起讨论啊!

最后我要表白一下柳演锡和金泰梨!我爱他们!

Based on above:

1871: Eugene left on board a ship to America at 9 years old (above post put as 6 years old  which is not correct :sweatingbullets:) and Hee Sung is born.

1875: Ae Shin is born.

1894: Hee Sung left for study in Japan and Ae Shin started learning shooting.

1902: Eugene returned to America so Eugene is 40 years old (korean age) and Ae Shin is 28 years old (korean age) and Hee Sung is 32 years old. 

Sorry for being so fixated on the age thingy.....it is only because the drama makes it so confusing for everyone that we all have to resort to all this guess work.

Despite their real age gap, I do not feel it when watching their on screen interaction. In fact, I am already feeling the sizzling chemistry between them when he walked towards her in the last scene in episode 2. Kudos to both Lee Byung Hun and Kim Tae Ri for their acting skills.

• Like 7

Yoo Yeon Seok... How did I never know of you before?! Where have you been the entire time I've been watching Asian Dramas?! I can't stop staring at him.... Oh the SLS has taken me over...

WeeklyEcstaticGallowaycow-size_restricte

As Dong Mae, he's reminding me of someone, I can't think of who it is though.

• LOL 5

6 hours ago, icyphoenix said:

@bedifferent I saw that one.. Kudo Hina seems very lovely yet brave.. I feel companionship in that hug of Kudo Hina n Dong Mae.. Then again a scene in highlight video where Kudo Hina smokes n tells "fool (cut to Dong Mae)  n *something I didn't get (cut to Hee sung)  that girl doesn't know" refering to Ae Shin shows the loneliness of her!! 

How I wish Kim Eun Sook will create a secondary couple from the second leads like she used to in her most dramas because that is one of her strength in writing her dramas. Unlike other dramas that tend to stretch the love triangle until the very end. Maybe it is because Yoo Yeon Seok and Kim Min Jung's great chemistry that makes me ship them even we are just in the beginning. But Eugene and Ae Shin are also described as non lovers in the relationship chart while almost in all of the synopsis in various websites tell that Eugene will fall in love with Ae Shin lol so can I still expect a love story between Hina and Dong Mae? Even if it will end in a tragic way, at least let them have another love line therefore they will not be yearning for Eugene nor Ae Shin whom will be the end game.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, sunshinefate said:

How I wish Kim Eun Sook will create a secondary couple from the second leads like she used to in her most dramas because that is one of her strength in writing her dramas. Unlike other dramas that tend to stretch the love triangle until the very end. Maybe it is because Yoo Yeon Seok and Kim Min Jung's great chemistry that makes me ship them even we are just in the beginning. But Eugene and Ae Shin are also described as non lovers in the relationship chart while almost in all of the synopsis in various websites tell that Eugene will fall in love with Ae Shin lol so can I still expect a love story between Hina and Dong Mae? Even if it will end in a tragic way, at least let them have another love line therefore they will not be yearning for Eugene nor Ae Shin whom will be the end game.

Let's hope there is no tragic ending for any characters!! The end game will be Eugene n Ae Shin and I really hope that Kudo Hina n Dong Mae end up together at the end!! But Hee Sung is gonna suffer a lot.. I hope he also gets his happiness but by highlight he is the one character who seems to be self destructive

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

As a filmmaker myself, I am really impressed on how far the film industry of Korea can go. A high budget production for a Korean Drama series. Imagine how much it takes to produce a 2 hour movie... Now make that into a series and multiply that budget per episode. Big respect to the film industry of Korea. They are serious and passionate with the art. :)

CJ E&M's TVN has been producing really great movies and series lately and it makes me proud to be their partner :)

• Like 8

5 hours ago, scarletlover1 said:

Yoo Yeon Seok... How did I never know of you before?! Where have you been the entire time I've been watching Asian Dramas?! I can't stop staring at him.... Oh the SLS has taken me over...

As Dong Mae, he's reminding me of someone, I can't think of who it is though.

watch reply 94 .. n his part is what was given to bo gum for audition of 1988

2 hours ago, RayAmbler7 said:

As a filmmaker myself, I am really impressed on how far the film industry of Korea can go. A high budget production for a Korean Drama series. Imagine how much it takes to produce a 2 hour movie... Now make that into a series and multiply that budget per episode. Big respect to the film industry of Korea. They are serious and passionate with the art. :)

CJ E&M's TVN has been producing really great movies and series lately and it makes me proud to be their partner :)

rather this particular director has a knack for doing these shots..

even before DOTS his work has wonderful cinematagraphy and wonderful play of colors..

Him pairing up with KES has been mutually benefiting. KES shows are breaking records .. her dramas were always super hit.. but with this director they are blockbusters...and ofcourse director does well too now

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks! :)
  • Like 6

Hi! I've watched the first two episodes and I was lurking here to see the reactions and I must tell, I felt the chemistry between Eugene and Go Ae Shin! The way he looks at her, OMG, he could take pieces off her with those eyes! 

Anyway, I'm hoping to see more of them already :rolleyes:

• Like 7

@icyphoenix @sunshinefate  @UnniSarah With you on the chemi between YYS and KMJ.  Sadly, they yearn for our leads and their hug is more consolation than anything.  Hina's past is sad which makes her strong character one I will be rooting till the end.  Lee Wan Ik is her father, not only a traitor to the country but a father who sent his daughter away to a loveless marriage with an older Japanese.  Dong Mae's story resonates as much in the sad circumstances that forced them to have a tragic life robbed of happiness.  Really, these two characters deserve our love!  :(

Kim Hee Sung is one I am also looking forward to,  Byun Yo Han's eyes :huh:

@charray thanks for reposting @daydreamer115 thank you so much for the translations of leaked infos on our characters.

I'm reposting for those who want to know more about the characters' stories.  These were posted months ago.  SPOILERS, avoid if you want to be surprised.

Goo Dong Mae

Kim Hee Sung

Kudo Hina

Park Hyo Shin - The Day (Mr Sunshine OST 1) is available on Spotify -  HERE

c6b138e33cc9a9955c829ae2b28e041624c527ad

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I thought the first two episodes were pretty good! I like the storyline! This is my first time seeing Kim Tae Ri acts and I enjoy watching her! As for Lee Byung Hun, he’s superb as always! I will continue to watch the next episodes!

• Like 4

@bedifferent.... Thanks so much for the spoilers .........   I get so much vibe/feels  between the leads, and the second leas. ing 

These vibes can mean anything... I just want to enjoy the story and see where it goes.  

:heart:

Go Ae Shin - - > Yoo Jin/Eugene           :wub:    :heart:

Go Ae SHin - - >   Dong Mae                    :wub:      :heart:

Eugene - - >  Hee Na                     :wub:         :heart:

Hee a - - >   Dong Mae                      :wub:        :heart:

:naughty::naughty:

• Like 5

Time to give this a go even though im unsure about the age difference its TVN.. TVN never fail me. 

1 hour ago, UnniSarah said:

@bedifferent.... Thanks so much for the spoilers .........   I get so much vibe/feels  between the leads, and the second leas. ing 

These vibes can mean anything... I just want to enjoy the story and see where it goes.  

:heart:

Go Ae Shin - - > Yoo Jin/Eugene           :wub:    :heart:

Go Ae SHin - - >   Dong Mae                    :wub:      :heart:

Eugene - - >  Hee Na                     :wub:         :heart:

Hee a - - >   Dong Mae                      :wub:        :heart:

:naughty::naughty:

we stalk each other ;o 

9 hours ago, kasjady said:

so shouldnt i watch on netflix? 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, charray said:

Despite their real age gap, I do not feel it when watching their on screen interaction. In fact, I am already feeling the sizzling chemistry between them when he walked towards her in the last scene in episode 2. Kudos to both Lee Byung Hun and Kim Tae Ri for their acting skills

When watching kdrama's I hardly pay attention to ages. @charray  @bedifferent  --> Since i am completely clueless to figuring out their ages I will leave it you guys to explain and thanks for figuring it out. I agree I love the chemistry of OTP in this drama.   :wub::wub:

@Wotad.. So glad to see you here chingu.  I guess we have the same taste in drama's. 

• Like 5

A previous interview article by The Philippines media..

July 6, 2018

Mr. Sunshine: A complex story of love and heroism

Shirley Matias Pizarro (The Philippine Star

SEOUL — The creators of wildly popular Korean drama series, Descendants of the Sun, and Goblin: The Lonely and Great God are set to complete a “trilogy of victory” as their latest collaboration billed Mr. Sunshine premieres on Netflix tomorrow, July 7, thereby tapping a bigger audience base spanning 190 countries across the globe.

The unbeatable tandem of writer Kim Eun-sook and director Lee Eung-bok has come up with another surefire blockbuster, an epic tale of love and heroism billed Mr. Sunshine. For the title role, they specifically handpicked and cast one of Korea’s biggest and brightest actors, Lee Byung-hun, who is also an accomplished Hollywood actor in his own right.

Lee Byung-hun’s Hollywood exposure was embodied in major feature films G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra and its sequel G.I. Joe Retaliation, Red 2, Terminator Genisys and The Magnificent Seven. Lee was also the first South Korean actor to present an Oscar at the annual Academy Awards, being a member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Lee also enjoys the distinction of having his hands and feet imprinted at the forecourt of Grauman’s Chinese Theatre.

Despite his accomplishments, Lee confessed during the round-table interview at the Patio 9 function hall here last Tuesday that he feels a certain kind of pressure as the show is to be streamed on Netflix, a medium he hasn’t yet experienced before. He said, “I am sure that the impact will be tremendous. Yes, it is difficult not (to) be burdened in such a situation but as an actor and creator, it is important not to let that pressure get to you because doing so might limit your freedom to act and express your art.”

Told from the backdrop of Korea’s late 19th to early 20th century history before its Japanese annexation in 1910, the story of Mr. Sunshine revolves around the life of a slave boy (Choi Yu-jin) whose tragic existence in Korea forced him to find refuge in foreign soil. He later comes back to his failing native country as an American soldier (Eugene Choi) to fight off the resistance and exact his own brand of revenge against the Joseons, those who maltreated him and murdered his family. But fate plays a game of cruel twist on him as he finds himself falling in love with an undercover freedom fighter (Go Ae-shin, who in reality was an heir in an aristocrat family) played by actress Kim Tae-ri.

ms148s.jpg

Others in the cast of Mr. Sunshine are actors Byun Yo-han (as Kim Hee-sung, the Japanese- educated fiancé of Go Ae-shin who had been betrothed to her since she was 15 years old); Kim Min-jung (as Kudo Mina, the rich, fashionable, powerful and wily hotel owner); and Yoo Yeon-seok (as Go Dong-mae, the butcher’s son and a fighter in a rebel splinter group in Japan).

All three men are in love with the same girl, Go Ae-shin, while Kudo Mina finds herself at the throes of unrequited love with Eugene Choi. The complexities of love and how each person’s journey unfolds, whether or not they end up with the one they love, are guarantees to keep the viewers hooked to the period drama of Mr. Sunshine.

The character essayed by Lee, Eugene Choi may all be American, rational and cold but that didn’t change the fact that he fell in love with Go Ae-shin when he met her during his return to Korea. Lee said, “He sustains that character of aloofness to the end but he does so while protecting Ae-shin because he loves her. That is the attraction there.”

Byun as Kim Hee-sung, for his part, has found himself regretting his decision as a young man to make Ae-shin wait very long for his decision to marry her. He pursued his education in Japan and took her for granted. When he came back and saw Ae-shin again, he knew exactly what he missed. But he realized it was too late because Eugene Choi was there for her already.

Yoo plays the untouchable Go Dong-mae, a butcher’s son. During that time, a butcher belongs to the lowest strata of the society and doesn’t amount to anything. Yoo said, “All he knows is that he will be willing to risk anything, give up even his life for a love that will never be.”

It is also worth mentioning that despite the highly-male-dominated milieu of war and rebellion, Mr. Sunshine has upped the ante to showcase the strength and power of women in the characters of Go Ae-shin and Kudo Mina. Kim Min-jung said, “I had to learn fencing and since Kudo speaks four languages, I had to study French, English, Joseon and Japanese.

Back in the 1900s, women didn’t hold power or authority, but I love it that my character owns the largest hotel where all the drama takes place and that sort of give her the power to wield. My role also allowed me to indulge in the elaborate physical preparations — from head to toe, my hair and make-up, my fashionable costumes — everything takes too long to prepare so I just determined myself to enjoy it,” she said wisely.

Kim Tae-ri, for her part, loves that her character is some sort of a double-edged sword — an aristocrat on one side involved with the trappings of social status and royalty, and the ironic flipside of a fierce resistance fighter. “Everything she does is for her patriotism. She is willing to die for her country. It’s a very complex character and it is interesting to uncover every layer, every facet of it. In the end, the audience will surely have to watch out how her character will resolve the barriers in order to pursue her beliefs,” Tae-ri said.

Lee pointed out that the strength of the drama series lies in the people and their relationships, and the emotions experienced by each character. “Yes, there is a lot of political turmoil and history involved, but these are mere factors impacting the relationships between characters. Even if you don’t know anything about history, you will be able to follow the drama and get immersed in it,” he concluded.

(Netflix’s Mr. Sunshine is a 24-episode series that premieres in Asian territories and the US July 7, July 8 in Japan and July 19 for the rest of the world. The series is produced by Hwa&Dam Pictures and Studio Dragon.)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, bedifferent said:

@icyphoenix @sunshinefate  @UnniSarah With you on the chemi between YYS and KMJ.  Sadly, they yearn for our leads and their hug is more consolation than anything.  Hina's past is sad which makes her strong character one I will be rooting till the end.  Lee Wan Ik is her father, not only a traitor to the country but a father who sent his daughter away to a loveless marriage with an older Japanese.  Dong Mae's story resonates as much in the sad circumstances that forced them to have a tragic life robbed of happiness.  Really, these two characters deserve our love!  :(

Kim Hee Sung is one I am also looking forward to,  Byun Yo Han's eyes :huh:

@charray thanks for reposting @daydreamer115 thank you so much for the translations of leaked infos on our characters.

I'm reposting for those who want to know more about the characters' stories.  These were posted months ago.  SPOILERS, avoid if you want to be surprised.

Goo Dong Mae

Kim Hee Sung

Kudo Hina

Park Hyo Shin - The Day (Mr Sunshine OST 1) is available on Spotify -  HERE

Actually I love spoilers but I can not open the link that you attached on your post. I really want to know about Dong Mae's character and Hina's character. Do you have another link? Thank you very much. Oh, so sad for those two. Why would they yearn for the leads when they have each other to lean on. If they become the secondary couple, it would be epic! 

• Like 4