[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

YAY, it's avail, go watch now...

@icyphoenix @chatterbox22  I actually like the idea of a noble and great Choi Yu-jin.  Think LBH has the aura for it.  A slave's son saving a country whose government and system failed him.  I don't think it has to be a romantic relationship but for some of the past dramas I have watched, those questionable lines did turn into love lines toward the end.  :lol:

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

YAY, it's avail, go watch now...

@icyphoenix @chatterbox22  I actually like the idea of a noble and great Choi Yu-jin.  Think LBH has the aura for it.  A slave's son saving a country whose government and system failed him.  I don't think it has to be a romantic relationship but for some of the past dramas I have watched, those questionable lines did turn into love lines toward the end.  :lol:

Same here!! I want Eugene n Go Ae Shin to be comrades till the end.. I like the idea of male n female being gunners n comrades to save the nation.. I have to agree that everything doesn't need to be romantic relationship!!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, scarletlover1 said:

Everything is gorgeous, always expected from Kim Eun Sook's work. Child actors acting is good as well. Now as far as the romance, I don't know where they're going with it but... Thanks to this comment/tweet:

Look if there's going to be any romance between LBH and AS, I'm not feeling it. KTR looks young enough to be his daughter! Look at the two of them standing next to each other. On chart, it doesn't imply any romance and I'm hoping it stays that way. It shows romance between her, Dong Mae and Hee Sung. That's hinting a love triangle between those three so please let it be that way because as much as I'm tired of love triangles, I rather have this than Ae Shin and Eugene together.

Also they could do a better time with the time jumps because I got a little confuse at some parts. Now who was the boy during that war and saw his father die? Did they say his name was Hee Sung? Isn't that third male lead? It couldn't had been second male lead. He doesn't appear till today's episode. But it can't be third male lead either since he's nobility and that baby who was born, the grandchild of the Eugene's parents killer.

I'm new here, and I don't think I totally agree with this. If I understand this correctly, so scarletlover1 and the tweet are trying to say LBH is too old to be the male lead and that KES is too arrogant to cast LBH and to believe that she can make everyone loves her work.  In my opinion, it is not Kim Eun Sook's arrogance that she cast LBH and believed she could turn haters to lovers. Contrast to its cheesy name, Mr. Sunshine is not a typical romcom that KES usually writes: so this drama doesn't need to have many cheesy pickup lines and many loving moments like in many other romcoms. Evidence for what I am saying is that KES cast LBH and KTR, those two are totally the opposite of what people would expect in a KES drama. LBH, even in his prime, has never been a fresh prince type actor, and KTR is definitely not the kind of actress playing simple-minded and physically weak female characters saying some cheesy pickup lines. At the beginning, this drama has already gone against the norms. I think KES knows that it's time for her to change: she just cannot keep writing romcom between a prince and a cinderella forever. I don't know how this drama would end up, but I hope that through this drama, KES would be able to deliver that love doesn't conform to any rules: beautiful love is not necessarily between a handsome young prince and a beautiful cinderella, beautiful love can happen between anyone no matter of their ages (and genders - I don't think this will be ever aired in a Korean drama). I really hope that KES can reverse the trend that she created her own, i.e., the trend of loving someone just by some cheesy pickup lines and their physical appearance. I know that there so many news about old men harassing young women, and people are scared that this drama will pose the wrong view about the harassment issue, but why do we associate such a social issue with love? True love is always pure.

Anyway, I don't know how this drama would end up. Believe it or not, the only drama by KES that I have watched is A gentleman's dignity lol, so I haven't yet familiar with KES's writing and the depth of her drama. I watched this drama because of my favorite KTR and other film actors LBH and BYH. I'm kind of worried for my favorite actress KTR, since if the drama failed, it would have a bad effect on the beginning stage of her career (since she has had a perfect debut run with 3 successful movies. I wish she will just return to film industry after this drama). I hope that Mr. Sunshine can become a drama that has many layers and delivers some depths. But, honestly, I do have some doubts of KES's ability to write some meaningful work.

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, HoàngH said:

Anyway, I don't know how this drama would end up. Believe it or not, the only drama by KES that I have watched is A gentleman's dignity lol, so I haven't yet familiar with KES's writing and the depth of her drama. I watched this drama because of my favorite KTR and other film actors LBH and BYH. I'm kind of worried for my favorite actress KTR, since if the drama failed, it would have a bad effect on the beginning stage of her career (since she has had a perfect debut run with 3 successful movies. I wish she will just return to film industry after this drama). I hope that Mr. Sunshine can become a drama that has many layers and delivers some depths. But, honestly, I do have some doubts of KES's ability to write some meaningful work.

Even if the drama does not hit it off with Korean or international viewers, I believe Kim Tae Ri will become more popular and well known after this drama.

She is is doing a good job as Ae Shin. I already like her character, Ae Shin after just 2 episodes.:wub:

Just finished watching episode 2. Another great episode where we find out more about Ae Shin and Eugene and their encounters with each other which are totally non romantic in nature so far. I am interested to know more about Ae Shin’s mentor. I think he could be working for the Japanese or something. 

I am fully engrossed in the story during the full 1 hour and looking forward to next episode. Say something about this drama that I did not use the fast forward button at all unlike other dramas. :D

• Like 4

@HoàngH That's Aurora Rain's tweet and I believe that someone's else comment. I do not think Kim Eun Sook is ignorant, a lot of people just don't like the fact that she cast a male lead twenty years older than the female lead. Now if there's no romance between them, then I don't have a problem with it. I like Lee Byung Hun but seeing him with the female lead that looks like she could be his daughter and there's possibility of romance between them... You can just see the difference when she's next to all the male leads. Look at My Mister with IU and Lee Sun Kyun, about a nearly 20 year age difference there and no romance between them at all. If this is like My Mister situation, I don't have a problem with it. If it's just a friendship/companionship between Ae Shin and Eugene, I'm all for it. But if it's romance, I'm not feeling it.

• Like 3

@bedifferent

I wiki'ed the background to the US Korean expedition Shinmiyangyo for comparison and to further understanding of the drama background.  Found it is fairly accurate in trying to grasp the event leading to the battles of Ganghwa fort.

The story after the battles of Ganghwa fort becomes strange though. They are conveniently missing a very significant war, the Sino-Japanese war. You can see the Independent newspaper in episode 1 and the Independence Gate in episode 2. Guess what "independence" means? It means Korean independence from China, a result of the Sino-Japanese War. And American military presence in this historical period? Did not happen.

@happyboy

as it turns out, the Koreans did not have gold, as the Chinese mercenaries had promised, and Korea was too poor and too far to exploit (even poorer than the Central American states much nearer to us)  so shortly after Shinmiyangyo the US focused its attentions entirely back on Japan and forgot about the Koreans.  this is similar to after the Korean War when the US bombed 98% of the country into the stone age and then left and forgot about Korea while kids were walking around Seoul in the 60s barefoot and the 80% of the Korean population had worms and went hungry.

And what, you'd prefer Korea under communist rule? That the UN not have intervened when North Korea, with USSR weapons, invaded South Korea? 98% of the country in the stone age? What, Jeollado and Gyungsangdo only make up 2% of the country? The US left and forgot about Korea after the Korean War? Do you know what USFK stands for?

@scarletlover1

Look if there's going to be any romance between LBH and AS, I'm not feeling it. KTR looks young enough to be his daughter! Look at the two of them standing next to each other. On chart, it doesn't imply any romance and I'm hoping it stays that way. It shows romance between her, Dong Mae and Hee Sung. That's hinting a love triangle between those three so please let it be that way because as much as I'm tired of love triangles, I rather have this than Ae Shin and Eugene together.

Yeah, the actors themselves are 20 years apart, although the characters are about 10 years apart. Aeshin is 29 years old at the end of episode 2, so that'd make Eugene Choi in his late 30s or early 40s. Not sure if romance will be happening between them, but I do think they'll develop some kind of a hate-love sort of relationship. Not happening for Heesung and Dongmae.

@122am

Some parts of the war scenes also made me feel like the writer / project is trying to sell me Korean nationalism sentiment while portraying Japan as the 'enemy state'... while being neutral to USA (who also did attack Korea). 

This is when Japan takes over and colonizes Korea, so you'll see a lot more of Japan being the 'enemy state'.

Edited by solarisk
  • Like 4

@solarisk I haven't watched ep 2 yet but will later. Now I believed they would make Ae Shin between 20s to 30. She can't be no older than 30.  From the first episode and because of LBH, Eugene would have to be 30s to 40s. But I see on twitter that Ae Shin is 19, Eugene is 33 and Dong Mae is older than Eugene? What kinda sense does that make? Why would Yoo Yeon Seok's character be older than LBH's character when it's opposite in real life? Just looking at the two of them, you can clearly tell who is older. I've lost count to how many times I've seen this in Asian dramas... But then again, when I've seen these types of situations, I don't even think the actors/actresses wouldn't even be that much older than their character. But WWSK has a bit of a big age gap with second male lead and his character.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, HoàngH said:

I don't know how this drama would end up, but I hope that through this drama, KES would be able to deliver that love doesn't conform to any rules: beautiful love is not necessarily between a handsome young prince and a beautiful cinderella, beautiful love can happen between anyone no matter of their ages (and genders - I don't think this will be ever aired in a Korean drama)...True love is always pure.

Anyway, I don't know how this drama would end up. Believe it or not, the only drama by KES that I have watched is A gentleman's dignity lol, so I haven't yet familiar with KES's writing and the depth of her drama...I hope that Mr. Sunshine can become a drama that has many layers and delivers some depths. But, honestly, I do have some doubts of KES's ability to write some meaningful work.

Same here.  The only other drama I have watched of KES is Secret Garden (tho that is more for my love of the 2 leads).  I tend to watch thriller/crime/medical genres and am a dialogue freak so already have adjusted my expectations for KES' writing.  :D  

There are many types of non romantic loves. One of which is the love for your country, for your fellow human beings; the kind of self sacrificing love which are beautiful and pure like you said. Since this is supposedly a historical melodrama, give me some meaty scenes Show! :lol:

1 hour ago, charray said:

Even if the drama does not hit it off with Korean or international viewers, I believe Kim Tae Ri will become more popular and well known after this drama.

She is is doing a good job as Ae Shin. I already like her character, Ae Shin after just 2 episodes.:wub:

Just finished watching episode 2. Another great episode where we find out more about Ae Shin and Eugene and their encounters with each other which are totally non romantic in nature so far. I am interested to know more about Ae Shin’s mentor. I think he could be working for the Japanese or something. 

I am fully engrossed in the story during the full 1 hour and looking forward to next episode. Say something about this drama that I did not use the fast forward button at all unlike other dramas. :D

Me too, just finished watching.  Let me just start by saying the tone of the story shifted dramatically for me going from E1 to E2.  I was expected for it to stay a little more serious until we get all characters on board but should have guessed it from the slave hunters' dialogues at the end of E1.  We get funnies inserted in a lot of places in E2, deliberately for what I am not sure... it threw me off.  I think I am ok with the supporting characters lighten up the story with their little situational comedies, English wordplays (Spanish vs. Spam the thing in the tin can?), lost in translations bit... that I think is fine.  I just feel for the actors and actresses who looked to me out of character saying some of the KES-signature lines.  Felt they are good when left alone to do their own things so I am wishing for more quiet moments without the dramatic being in your face. I remember reading that LBH has to learn to say those lines cuz he is not used to acting out this way.  But yeah, it maybe just me.  

That said, KES is holding her own against LBH. Their scenes together were the highlights of the episode.  Now we now why the poster showed them holding their hand against each other face.  The secret life.   Yoon Yeo Seok addressing Kim Min Jung's wound was a nice moment between two weary seasoned fighters.  I like their chemi already, no love line though right? LOL  

We see multiple stories diverging and hopefully converging soon.  Multiple players in the spy game as there are tons of national interests in the new changing Joseon.  There are distrusts and alliances everywhere.  The US minister and Eugene held no love lost toward another American who sold their secrets to the Japanese.  There are even two rebel factions, the new generation along with the old Righteous Army.  Ae Shin doesn't even trust her own mentor Seung Gu as the latter also advised her not to place her loyalty too early.  I just didn't quite get a grasp on what Ae Shin wants to do.  She can't possibly want to be a lone wolf or Robin Hood without a den, does she? Eventually she has to form an allegiance somewhere... I guess this is where Eugene will come in.  Eugene himself hasn't sorted out his feelings for his homeland either.  Coming home does help him resolve his past and define for him what he is identified more with.  An American or Korean.  I hope the drama spends more time on his self discovery and the idea of what is an immigrant, something we all can relate to.  For now, he feels like an outcast wherever he goes.  Poor thing.  Let's get this straightened out for Choi Yu-jin first before steam rolling into a melodrama! :lol:

@solarisk yes, you are right.  I do apologize that I am not a history buff so thank you to all those add in the historical settings for us.  History is written by the victors.  Nowhere is it more evident in that scene where the US soldiers photographing themselves in front of the fallen flag.  The sombre tone of the picture doesn't tell the exuberant celebration before or after the photo by the winning side.  Also hit home for me is how Lee Wan Ik dropped the US officer down a notch noting that US is not that magnanimous for sparing the prisoners when the battle took hundreds of Joseon lives.

I don' think this is a "My Ajusshi" relationship between KES/CYJ either... mentoring yes.  Unrequited love maybe.  Tragic ending yes.

@scarletlover1  If the current time is >=1898 (El Caney Order of Battle) (?). CYJ was 9 in 1871 (US pulled out of Joseon in July 1871 when he was on board).  Think AS was born on 1877? 

That makes CYJ about ~36 years old and GAS ~20-21 years old Korean age?  Just remember 16 years age gap. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, scarletlover1 said:

@solarisk I haven't watched ep 2 yet but will later. Now I believed they would make Ae Shin between 20s to 30. She can't be no older than 30.  From the first episode and because of LBH, Eugene would have to be 30s to 40s. But I see on twitter that Ae Shin is 19, Eugene is 33 and Dong Mae is older than Eugene? What kinda sense does that make? Why would Yoo Yeon Seok's character be older than LBH's character when it's opposite in real life? Just looking at the two of them, you can clearly tell who is older. I've lost count to how many times I've seen this in Asian dramas... But then again, when I've seen these types of situations, I don't even think the actors/actresses wouldn't even be that much older than their character. But WWSK has a bit of a big age gap with second male lead and his character.

Aeshin's character introduction specifically says that she is 29 years old. She's 20 at the beginning of episode 2 but by the time she and Eugene cross paths, she is 29 years old. It also says she didn't marry earlier because of Heesung. Heesung is Aeshin's fiance, but he's away in Japan as of this moment.

http://program.tving.com/tvn/mrsunshine/3/Contents/Html?h_seq=2

http://program.tving.com/tvn/mrsunshine/3/Contents/Html?h_seq=5

Edited by solarisk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, scarletlover1 said:

@solarisk I haven't watched ep 2 yet but will later. Now I believed they would make Ae Shin between 20s to 30. She can't be no older than 30.  From the first episode and because of LBH, Eugene would have to be 30s to 40s. But I see on twitter that Ae Shin is 19, Eugene is 33 and Dong Mae is older than Eugene? What kinda sense does that make? Why would Yoo Yeon Seok's character be older than LBH's character when it's opposite in real life? Just looking at the two of them, you can clearly tell who is older

Sorry, i think most ppl here talk about dong mae age. So i will give u right answer. And u can guess dongmae real age by this picture:

https://twitter.com/lovebangwon/status/1016012375621660674?s=21

For me dongmae age was similar with aesin, maybe they born in the same year. OR maybe dongmae a bit olders from aesin. BUT its obviously he is younger than eugene. 

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, viktormani said:

I actually ship them, it doesn't bother me at all the age difference (i thought it would at first). i'm pretty sure that there's a love line between them and they wont only be comrades. 

They will obviously having love line. Eventhough its small chance for happy ending. Because they are nameless soldiers. :D 

• Like 2

On 2/25/2018 at 3:50 PM, daydreamer115 said:

As posted on daydreamer11587 Tumblr

Leaked description of Kim Tae Ri’s character in Mr Sunshine - Go Ae Shin

Also read: Yoo Yeon Seok’s | Byun Yo Han’s | Kim Min Jung’s | (at the moment, Lee Byung Hun’s role description hasn’t been leaked yet)

Go Ae Shin, 28 years old (Actress Kim Tae Ri)

Every other day, all sort of scandals came knocking. 28 years old Ae Shin has already passed the marriageable age for quite some time now, since in the land of Joseon, one is considered as a spinster if she has passed the age of 15. 

This is all because of Hee Sung. 

Hee Sung was the person whom Ae Shin was supposed to marry, the guy she was betrothed to at the age of 15, set by both of their grandfathers. She had never seen the face of her betrothed - she heard the news from her grandfather that he has left to study abroad in Japan. Seeing how her aunt is showing endless jealousy towards her prospective marriage candidate, she wondered what kind of person the guy is. 

And seeing how he never came to see her, not in even once in over a decade, it seems like he lived his life while forgetting about her, and obviously she was going to live while forgetting about him too. When it’s like this, she wishes for him to never come back. 

She had to fight with her grandfather for a month for it, and though it was unfortunate that she had to be accompanied by a manservant and a servant girl Bong Soon when going to school, it was all thanks to that modern school where daughters of the ‘peasants’ were attending that she came to learn about 'I’m a girl. Boys be ambitious’.

Someone in school said that now was the romantic era. Ae Shin agreed that it was. But Ae Shin’s romanticism wasn’t about coffee, western clothing nor imported goods, but her romanticism was about those rifles made in Russia. 
That was the intense romanticism that she, the 'Aegisshi’ of Joseon’s most prominent aristocratic family, wished to have. 

Was it because of her father’s blood that was spilled for the sake of the country? Was it because of her beloved mother’s ardor towards such a man? 

No matter how she think of it, there was no way that only Boys can be having ambitions. 

Men who cherished her as if she’s a flower were boring, and rather than being a blooming flower ready to wither, she would prefer being the most furious flame. 

On the day Ae Shin’s grandfather discovered her secret collections of 'Hanseong Sunbo’ (nation’s first newspaper) and 'Doknip Newspaper’ in her room, there was sorrow in his eyes, instead of anger. 

It all started from that day when she met a gunner when running an errand for her grandfather who wanted to eat meat from 'Maejjimsung’. Her grandfather’s request was only one. For her to stay alive. 

From that day on, Kang gunner became a teacher to the 19 years old Ae Shin. Kang gunner taught her how to deal with gunpowder and different kind of guns, and taught her gun training. Nine years later, Ae Shin has never missed her targets. 

It was at the moment when Hansung’s (one of Seoul’s old names) first streetlight was turned on that Ae Shin first met a guy who is not dull. He’s egoistic, he’s cold yet warm, and he came from the America. A man who was a stranger in her life, Yoo Jin. 

Ae Shin eanerstly wished that the man’s heart would not be her target. 

Source : Dispatch via daydreamer11587 Tumblr 

From the leaked character description above that was posted earlier in this forum, Ae Shin is supposed to be 28 years old when the story began. This is also the real age of Kim Tae Ri herself as she is 28 years old this year.

For Eugene, my guess is that he is 38 years old. When he left Joseon on board the ship for America, it was 1871 and he was nine years old. My guess is that he had returned in 1900 as the synopsis said that the story is set in 1900 to 1905. Therefore their age gap in the story is 10 years.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, charray said:

From the leaked character description above that was posted earlier in this forum, Ae Shin is supposed to be 28 years old when the story began. This is also the real age of Kim Tae Ri herself as she is 28 years old this year.

I think I figure it out.  Based on the Japan ship Un'yo.  End of E2 must be 1905.

1863: CYJ was born

1871: Gwangha incident (US vs Joseon), US retreated after the incident (where 9 year old Choi Yu-jin sneaked on board and came to NY). 

1875: Japan's Un'yo ship (we see this mentioned in the drama) was dispatched leading to another Gwangha incident (Japan vs Joseon).  Rebel forces formed in Joseon as the result (Kim Ji-won and Jin Goo  cameo as GAS's parents). 

1877:  Go Ae Shin was born 

1898 (El Caney Order of Battle/Spanish American War) '

1905: their fated meeting at end of E2.

CYJ is 43 years  old and GAS is 29 years old in Korean age at end of E2?  Someone check my math. LOL

The other option is end of E2 is 1900 which could be as well since their story spans 5 years.  This will make CYJ 38 years old and GAS 24 years old when they met at end of E2.  She's 29 by end of the drama.

• Like 5

I don't understand exactly why are people saying that Dong Mae's character is supposed to be older than Choi Eugene's. I just finished watching ep 1 and the only three child actors that was shown was for Choi Eugene's character who was nine at the time of his parent's death and then a teenager when he decided to become an American after seeing the African American man in the US Marine Corp. The other child actor was for the gunman's son Seung Goo (who was already a teenager when his dad died and thus older than Eugene) who in ep 2 became Ae Shin's mentor. And the last one was the baby Ae Shin. 

I have learn never to trust drama descriptions (especially Asian dramas) because what is provided is usually not what we end up watching. So, unless the drama specifically tells me that Dong Mae is older than Eugene, I am going by what was provided in the first episode and that Only Seung Goo character is older than Eugene.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

I think I figure it out.  Based on the Japan ship Un'yo.  End of E2 must be 1905.

1863: CYJ was born

1871: Gwangha incident (US vs Joseon), US retreated after the incident (where 9 year old Choi Yu-jin sneaked on board and came to NY). 

1875: Japan's Un'yo ship (we see this mentioned in the drama) was dispatched leading to another Gwangha incident (Japan vs Joseon).  Rebel forces formed in Joseon as the result (Kim Ji-won and Jin Goo  cameo as GAS's parents). 

1877:  Go Ae Shin was born 

1898 (El Caney Order of Battle/Spanish American War) '

1905: their fated meeting at end of E2.

CYJ is 43 years  old and GAS is 29 years old in Korean age at end of E2?  Someone check my math. LOL

Looks legit.

Agree that Ae Shin should be born sometime young Eugene had left for America but how did you derive that Ae Shin is born in 1877 and not any earlier?

• Like 4