[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

Gosh!! it was such a beautiful first episode.:wub:. all emotions packed up!!.. I don't know much history abt joseon n japan n American wars.. I don't much like history stuffs.. But this caught be badly hooked to it.. The cinematography n the transitions were soo smooth!!.:). I had goosebumps watching the whole episode.. The changes in each person's life sue to changes in Joseon.. The pain n agony which every character went through.. Eugene's history was soo painful:tears: to watch as his parents died infront of him, he had to survive n he had to become the other person!! Seong gu too had similar conditions which made him a rebel.. The cameo of jin goo n KJW was soo  beautiful.. They yet again managed to steal the show.. The way KJW portrayed her character was soo amazing!! KTR looked like an aristocratic lady with her own secrets.. The precap made it more mysterious.. Our leads r gonna meet each other.. I feel soo connected with every characters.. I m soo excited to watch the next episode!! B)

P. S. They managed to get the maximum ratings too!! I hope they achieve more n more ratings.. Coz the story n the cast r amazing:D

• Like 3

DhkIZFHUYAIMrsS.jpgDhkIZEuUcAA7o2j.jpg

Spoiler

DhkIbm8UYAEZ9nw.jpgDhkIZFoU8AAu0MI.jpg

------

Team Dramabeans: What we’re watching???

So, what are we all watching this week?

What kept you reaching for more (or agonizing when there was no more), and what made you want to throw your remote through the screen? Time to weigh in…

javabeans

• Mr. Sunshine: We’re only one episode in so it’s very early days, but here are my initial impressions, presented as thought soup: Wow, this looks amazing. You can see the money dripping off every frame. They’re trying a little too hard to be the next Goblin though. When no, this is definitely NOT Goblin, which was kind of magical. This show is trying to force magic and it feels a little manufactured. The kid has a sad past but do I really care? I wondered if I would care about Lee Byung-heon as a hero. Turns out I don’t. Oh Asparagus is in this drama. So are tons of Descended and Goblin alumni. It’s kind of distracting really. There’s a lot of violence here. It’s very beautiful violence though. I’m kind of over this introductory backstory about Yoo-jin/Eugene (it’s very rote in the “PULL EMOTIONAL STRINGS NOW” way) but Kim Tae-ri could really liven things up. I guess I’ll have to wait till tomorrow for the good stuff, but on the upside it looks like tomorrow HAS good stuff. Where is my Yoo Yeon-seokkkkkk.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

@happyboy  Thank you for the explanation.   The only reason why I wiki is to get the timelines straight for the story and to get a little of the background which this drama didn’t clearly gives us.  In any case, appreciate your post.

@kasjady the love triangle is actually, Kim Hee Sun - Go Ae Shin -  Goo Dong Mae according to the chart... so go figure where Choi Yu-jin is in this romantic melodrama :)

• Like 3

@bedifferent From the trailers I could just say all the three male leads have crush on the leading lady.. But I guess the second lead man will end up with second lead lady!! But as I saw the highlight video the third lead looks very pitiful!! He seems look carefree but has loads of pain!! I can't still decipher the relationship of lead pair!! 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

@bedifferent Oh really? That's surprising. I thought there was something going on with Dong Mae & the not yet introduced Hina. Haha if that's the case maybe Yu-Jin is going through the ''My Mister'' route? 

Actually as long as I don't get a tiresome love triangle, I'm cool with whoever's with who (with chemistry that is). I think that's one of the few things I enjoyed from KES past two dramas - the couples were clear. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

@bedifferent I too felt the same by reading the synopsis from other sites!!.. But from highlight video n other trailer stuff, I don't feel much going on with the main leads  n now this relationship chart too is unclear abt their relationship? Indeed love here is hard n confusing too:ph34r: 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

July 7, 2018

“Mr. Sunshine” Sets New Record With First Episode Viewership Ratings

Source: Soompi by S. Koh

Lee-Byung-Hun-Kim-Tae-Ri.jpg

After only one episode, “Mr. Sunshine” is proving to be a new drama to watch as evident by its record breaking viewership ratings.

tvN’s weekend drama “Mr. Sunshine,” which aired on July 7 at 9 p.m. KST for the first time, recorded the highest ever viewership ratings for the premiere of a tvN drama The ratings confirmed that it is indeed one of the most anticipated projects.

For cable, satellite, and IPTV combined across paid platforms, the first episode garnered an average of 8.9 percent and at the highest 10.6 percent. Despite being a cable program, “Mr. Sunshine” took No. 1 in its time slot including public broadcasting station shows as well.

Its massive scale and elaborate visuals combined with an eye catching story has viewers glued to the screen. In addition, writer Kim Eun Sook brings to life a changing Chosun Dynasty while director Lee Eung Bok creates spectacular war scenes.

“Mr. Sunshine” airs every Saturday and Sunday at 9 p.m. KST.

Source (1)

ms153.jpg

Source

• Like 5

20 hours ago, bedifferent said:

US Netflix releases the episode about 1 hour after it finished airing in SK, Eng Subbed.  Think they did the same for Secret Forest and Man x Man.  I can transcribe some scenes once I have watched it.

BTW, it follows tvN schedule.  Shows 10 episodes on queue with release dates same as airing dates so it is not completely ready.

Thanks for the clarification that the drama is available about 1 hour after it finished airing on TVN. I missed it last night as I was out for some family gathering.  I just finished watching it a few minutes ago.

Looks like it is a different arrangement from Man to Man which was simulcast on Netflix at the same time that it was airing on JTBC. 

https://media.netflix.com/en/press-releases/netflix-simulcasts-new-korean-original-series-man-x-man-by-jtbc-in-over-20-languages-globally

I prefer the simulcast arrangement like Man to Man as we can do live recapping the drama as it airs in Korea, which makes it more interactive and engaging and interesting. Now it is like quite muted interest....sigh...:( sigh...

• Like 4

what i can say about episode 1 is... you'll need to rewatch it to make sure you follow through with the multiple narratives that were laid out. i myself was confused in the process, and felt lost at some point. i'll definitely need to know the character names and familiarize them so i would know who's who is linked to specific characters, then prolly watch the entire episodes 1 & 2 again.

i'm not sure if this could get high ratings as the drama itself is a bit darker than the usual line up of romcoms and other popular genres / plotlines. but nonetheless, i'm still interested to watch this drama to the end. it's been a while since i thoroughly watched a k-drama, the last one being My Golden Life.

hello everyone!

• Like 5

My take after first episode:

The backstory of the main lead characters, Eugene and AiShin is engaging. The history and the events of the period are interesting too. 

The 2 child actors portraying Eugene at different ages can act well. Jin Goo and Kim Ji Won brief cameo appearances made quite an impact and I can see why their daughter would grow up to become a rebel fighter like her parents.

Lee Byung Hun’s acting is on point and does not disappoint. I like listening to him speaking whether in Korean or English, both equally pleasing and natural. :wub:

Overall, I like the drama so far and am looking forward to the next episode.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, bedifferent said:

@kasjady @icyphoenix  eeek, dunno, love is hard isn’t it :lol:

Everywhere I read, Eugene falls in love with Ae Shin but here is undefined? The chart have both Dong Mae and Hee Sun in love with Ae Shin so what shape do we have here?

This early  I want to see Dong Mae, the character in the middle lower part of the chart the end game ( probably not  but...). Biased  for Yoo Yeon Seok. Heck I'm honest. Plus, I don't probably care much about the history thing. Yes. I'm really honest.  :D

I mentioned this last night post, the cinematography is really good. you laud the production staff and cinematographer.

• Like 3

That was pretty good for the first episode. First things first. Big Applause to Kim Ji Won for not going down without a fight. RESPECT! And also to Lee Shi A for doing whatever it took to save her child against the nobility! YOU GO GIRL!

giphy.gif

Everything is gorgeous, always expected from Kim Eun Sook's work. Child actors acting is good as well. Now as far as the romance, I don't know where they're going with it but... Thanks to this comment/tweet:

Look if there's going to be any romance between LBH and AS, I'm not feeling it. KTR looks young enough to be his daughter! Look at the two of them standing next to each other. On chart, it doesn't imply any romance and I'm hoping it stays that way. It shows romance between her, Dong Mae and Hee Sung. That's hinting a love triangle between those three so please let it be that way because as much as I'm tired of love triangles, I rather have this than Ae Shin and Eugene together.

Also they could do a better with the time jumps because I got a little confuse at some parts. Now who was the boy during that war and saw his father die? Did they say his name was Hee Sung? Isn't that third male lead? It couldn't had been second male lead. He doesn't appear till today's episode. But it can't be third male lead either since he's nobility and that baby who was born, the grandchild of the Eugene's parents killer.

• Like 4

I enjoyed the first episode very much. Obviously, money is dripping from every frame but it doesn't have to be a bad thing if the writing will be good. The cinematography is really breathtaking. The music is also beautiful. I do hope that we are going to have strong female characters here. I love that Kim Tae Ri's character is a female gunman. @scarletlover1 If I am not wrong her gunman teacher is already a grown-up boy who lost his father during the battle with Americans in first episode. His name is Seung Goo. 

Btw I am really wondering with whom will Ae Shin have a loveline? From what I understood Yoo Yeon Seok's character has feelings for Kim Min Jung's character. And Byun Yo Han's Hee Sung is Ae Shin's fiancee? 

My favourite clips from today's episode :D I am wating for the scene from the long preview where Ae Shin and Eugene are walking arm in arm i their gunman's attaires. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, scarletlover1 said:

Now who was the boy during that war and saw his father die? 

That's gunner Jang Seung Goo.  Like he said to potter Eun San, he will continue to be a gunner like his dad.  We saw him again at end of E1 when he asked the two former slave hunters  about the Yoo family.  

Once again, the relationship chart, thanks @kimtaerifan

Df3O91LVMAAaJ0O?format=jpg&name=medium

41 minutes ago, chatterbox22 said:

If I am not wrong her teacher is already a grown-up boy who lost his father during the batlle with Americans in first episode? It looks like in episode 2 we are going to learn more about Ae Shin :) 

Btw I am really wondering with whom will Ae Shin have a loveline? From what I understood Yoo Yeon Seok's character has feelings for Kim Min Jung's character. And Byun Yo Han's Hee Sung is Ae Shin's fiancee? 

Hee Sung will propose to her before leaving abroad I think.  I don't know if Dong Mae has feelings for Kudo Hina.  She's one I'm most looking forward to since her Japanese ties through marriage is mole material.  And yes I also think Seung Goo is the one teaching and helping her with the training.  They probably also continue on as Righteous Army fighters like their parents.  The two men that brought baby Ae Shin to the Go family.   They probably stayed and reformed the group in the same town.

3 hours ago, charray said:

I prefer the simulcast arrangement like Man to Man as we can do live recapping the drama as it airs in Korea, which makes it more interactive and engaging and interesting. Now it is like quite muted interest....sigh...:( sigh...

You're welcome.  I was hoping same time airing as well since it is partially pre produced.  This is the first for US, hoping the trend will continue.

E2 is not up on Netflix yet.  Porque?  Sigh.... the woes of a drama watcher against a streaming argonaut.:lol:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

From the above ^^ relationship chart,  Kudo Hina has romantic feelings towards Eugene n friendly relationship with Goo Dong Mae!! From the chart,  I guess Eugene n Go Ae Shin  will be comrades!! Now I m little cleared.. Thanks for sharing the chart 

• Like 4

@bedifferent Thanks, I haven't noticed translated chart before :) So now that I see that Kudo Hina and  Goo Dong Mae have friendly relationship it makes sense that he and Ae Shin can have feelings for each other. So adding Hee Sung it is going to be a love triangle. Eh, I honestly don't like them at all but I guess I have to put up with it. Kudo Hina and Ae Shin look amazing. Can't wait for their character development.

• Like 5