Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

For fans of Kim Ji Won and Jin Goo, you may want to catch them in the first episode. :D

• Like 2

July 6, 2018

Mr Sunshine on Netflix: How many episodes in the new series?
MR SUNSHINE is a brand new South Korean drama coming to Netflix this month. Here’s everything you need to know about the show including episode count, release date, cast and more.

By MOLLI MITCHELL Express.co.uk

When is Mr Sunshine released on Netflix?

Mr Sunshine will be available to watch and download on Netflix  worldwide on Thursday, July 19.

The series is a new South Korean original drama set during the late 19th century and early 20th century.

It is a mix of dramatised history and fictional wartime romance, written by Kim Eun Sook and directed by Lee Eung-bok who were behind international hits Descendants of the Sun and Goblin.

Rob Roy, Vice President of Content Asia for Netflix said: “We have seen so much passion for top quality Korean stories and the pedigree of a title like Mr Sunshine is a significant step forward in building a strong Korean content library for our members around the world.”

How many episodes are in Mr Sunshine on Netflix?

Mr Sunshine will have 24 episodes in total.

All will be available in one go.

The 90-second trailer has been viewed over one million times on YouTube by an international audience.

The trailer features real photos from the historical battle on which the show is based.

What will happen in Mr Sunshine on Netflix?

Mr Sunshine follows the love story between Korean-born US Marine Officer, Eugene Choi (played by Lee Byung-hun) a solider in the resistance movement against Japanese occupation and his romance with Go Ae-sin (Kim Tae-ri) an aristocrats daughter.

Eugene fled Korea after the death of his parents as a young boy on a US Warship during the Shinmiyangyo in 1871.

The Shinmiyangyo is the name of the first United States expedition to Korea. It was the first time the American military were present in Korea to establish political and trade relations.

The incident occurred in response to the Koreans who attacked two American warships on June 1 around the Korean Island of Ganghwa.

On June 10, 650 American sailors and marines and five warships attacked Ganghwa, killing over 200 Korean troops.

Only three Americans died in the battle.

Decades later, when Eugene returns as a US Marine Officer representing America’s national interests, he discovers a plot by Japan to colonise his homeland which was actually successfully colonised from 1910-1945.

Director Lee told a press conference in Seoul: “There are many dramas set in the 1930s when the Japanese occupation of Korea was in full swing.

“But there weren't many dramas - or historical documents for that matter - about the early 1900s when people struggled to protect the country from an impending invasion by Japan.”

Netflix new releases for 2018

Who is in the cast of Mr Sunshine on Netflix?

Well-known South Korean actor Lee Byung-hun plays Eugene Choi, a Korean-American US Marine officer who returns to his country after fleeing conflict in 1871.

Lee Byung-hun is well known for his role as Storm Shadow in G.I Joe and starring alongside Bruce Willis in Red 2 as Han Cho Bai.

Rising star, Kim Tae-ri plays aristocrat’s daughter Go Ae-sin who becomes a patriotic assassin.

This is Kim’s first small-screen debut after her lead role in the critically acclaimed psychological thriller, The Handmaiden.

Mr Sunshine also features South Korean actors Yoo Yeon-seok as Goo Dong-mae, Kim Min-jung as Kudo Hina and Byun Yo-han as Kim Hee-sung.

Mr Sunshine will drop on Netflix on July 19 (broadcast other than Korea, the US, Asia and Japan)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@rubie did I read it right? All episodes are available on first day of release?  I know this applies to UK Netflix, guess will find out come July 7th.

3 hours ago, bedifferent said:

@rubie did I read it right? All episodes are available on first day of release?  I know this applies to UK Netflix, guess will find out come July 7th.

I think it's becoming quite a confusion reading all the articles coming out these days. :sweatingbullets: If not mistaken, the drama is still filming.. at least for the final few episodes.

So far, our solution is to see what happens tonight when and after episode 1 has been aired in Korea. The only way to confirm about the global 7/7 airing.

One thing for sure, getting to feel anxious to find out the first reaction and feedback for MR.SUNSHINE. 

From days.. now counting the hours..

• Like 1

'DOTS' writer Kim Eun Sook's new project 'Mister Sunshine' drops still cuts of cameos Jin Goo & Kim Ji Won for its premiere

Hours ahead of the premiere of tvN's new Saturday-Sunday series 'Mister Sunshine', the staff have dropped some still cuts of a pair of very special cameos - Jin Goo and Kim Ji Won!

'Mister Sunshine' is the newest drama production by script writer Kim Eun Sook and production director Lee Eung Bong, who previously worked together on 'Descendants of the Sun'. The two special cameo actors Jin Goo and Kim Ji Won have been cast as two characters who will play an important role in starting off the drama's high tension. 

'Mister Sunshine' takes place in late 1800s Joseon, where a Korean man who grew up as an American soldier returns to his homeland and faces the troubles caused by Japanese occupation. Composed of a main cast of Lee Byung Hun, Kim Tae Ri, Yoo Yun Suk, Kim Min Jung, Byun Yo Han, and more, it premieres this July 7 at 9 PM KST!

Jin Goo     Kim Ji Won

Dhe23OwU8AEd7Oi.jpg

• Like 3

Kim-Ji-Won-Jin-Goo.jpg

“Mr. Sunshine” Shares Sneak Peek Of Cameos By “Descendants Of The Sun” Co-Stars Kim Ji Won And Jin Goo

tvN’s new weekend drama “Mr. Sunshine” has shared a sneak peek at the special cameo appearances by Kim Ji Won and Jin Goo, who are reuniting on screen again after appearing in “Descendants of the Sun” together!

“Mr. Sunshine” tells the story of a boy who leaves for the U.S. in 1871 on a military ship and returns to his homeland as a soldier. The drama is highly anticipated as it will bring together screenwriter Kim Eun Sook and producing director (PD) Lee Eung Bok, as well as top stars like Lee Byung Hun, Kim Tae Ri, Yoo Yeon Seok, Kim Min Jung, and Byun Yo Han.

It was previously revealed that Jin Goo and Kim Ji Won would be making special appearances in the first episode to bring more tension to the drama. Though their scenes will be short, they will leave a lasting impact as their characters will play an important role in how the story unfolds throughout the series.

Jin-Goo-Kim-Ji-Won.jpg

The two had worked together on “Descendants of the Sun” and received a lot of love from viewers for their chemistry. They both happily agreed to appear in the drama to show their support for Kim Eun Sook and Lee Eung Bok. The production staff stated, “Jin Goo and Kim Ji Won will appear in the first episode and their scenes will leave a lasting impact. We hope that their cameo will help viewers fall deeper into the drama and what it has to offer in the future.”

“Mr. Sunshine” will premiere on July 7 at 9 p.m. KST.

Source (1)https://www.soompi.com/2018/07/07/mr-sunshine-shares-sneak-peek-cameos-descendants-sun-co-stars-kim-ji-won-jin-goo/

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, rubie said:

Soon... very soon..

Did you subscribe to Netflix? :)

40 minutes ago, charray said:

Did you subscribe to Netflix? :)

No, not yet. I want to see how things go this weekend for the first 2 episodes. Hopefully it won't be too complicated from the sound of it all. :lol: Free trial Netflix is still one of the options.

• LOL 1

Unfortunately I'm not fond of Netflix subbing and airing and Korean dramas. I wanted Viki or DF to sub this. But anyway, watching tvN now for this drama for child actress Heo Jung Eun and Yoo Yoon Seok. They're the only ones I'm familiar

Started already. Sorry I'm watching raw so no recap. I can't understand Korean..unless Eng sub. Music box playing

Edit to add: Oh well.. they're speaking in English.beginning scene for few minutes. Oh lovely cinematography. Finally saw the appearance of brilliant child actress and my fav HJE.

• Like 2

Well even if it's only first episode, I'm happy I saw Heo Jung Eun scenes. The story is interesting, so I'll continue watching.

Thanks @rubie and @kimtaerifan for updates. 

• Like 3

US Netflix releases the episode about 1 hour after it finished airing in SK, Eng Subbed.  Think they did the same for Secret Forest and Man x Man.  I can transcribe some scenes once I have watched it.

BTW, it follows tvN schedule.  Shows 10 episodes on queue with release dates same as airing dates so it is not completely ready.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2