Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

11 hours ago, 3po3 said:

I watch the reactions of viewers on the internet and I see a big problem, because the hardest episodes of the last episodes are hard to tolerate even the most mentally strong, and what about those who have a tendency to depression? I fear to think. The more so because the drama is beautifully made and has great influence on emotions. Very much. 

I do not know the full extent of effect on each one. Some comments have been positive and some have accepted the sad ending. Overall, it was taken as a positive effect. Being sad about the ending is a natural reaction. However as u say, some of us are also able to separate art or fiction from real life. And some may not. 

I must point out, if you do know of people who are still adversely affected after a period of time, please ensure that they seek professional help! 

This was a powerful drama that tugs on the emotions and some may have difficulty getting over such a tragic ending. We all have different ways to cope. Personally, I think it helps if we focus on the positive aspect of the drama instead of the negative. We need to look on the positive message. Death is a reality in our lives. We may go through different stages such as denial, anger, blaming, etc at the end of the day, we have to accept it for what it is. The human spirit is resilient and I believe we will rise through the sad moments as we have proven in the past. 

Others have also mentioned about getting into another drama with happier plot. Or maybe spend more time with friends or family instead. I am thankful to some members who share postive feedback including BTS which for me, helps in going thru the process of "grief"

Let's continue to be more positive and encourage each other. Let's also hope Writer KES will present us with a happier drama for her next project. I think that will not be impossible, after all, her characters in Mr Sunshine did save a country :wub:

• Like 9

Regarding the production of Director Cut DVD/BLuray of Mr. Sunshine, apparently, they need to meet minimum requirement of 2500 pcs for both DVD and Bluray version in order to proceed with the production. 

The director will reedit each episode and add deleted scenes into it + unreleased scenes!! Commentary by actors while watching the compiled scenes. For eg, LBH and KTR will be commenting while watching their scenes together. NGs, more BTS +, interview with director, writers, and actors + merchandises.

THe price may be expensive, but it's worth the good. So please consider purchase it if you can afford. thanks

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, writteninthestars09 said:

@kansas424 how much is it? Do they accept overseas order? (The site is in Korean only, I think.) 

They will provide english and chinese version website for the pre-orders.

DVD costs = 220,000 W  Bluray = 352,000 W

They need 2500 order for both as minimum requirement to proceed with the production. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

If not mistaken, a law professor wrote an open letter to Eugene.. it looks like a morning opinion section about Joseon back then and the current South Korean situation. Korean fans would know what this is about, the drama has been watched by the majority of Korean citizens.. not just drama fans. Anyway, there're some photos of EC as well, compiled by the fan (Julie_Korea) who highlighted this article.

The full article at Hankook Ilbo

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, kansas424 said:

They will provide english and chinese version website for the pre-orders.

DVD costs = 220,000 W  Bluray = 352,000 W

They need 2500 order for both as minimum requirement to proceed with the production. 

Thanks for the info. Wish to have a memorabilia but it is quite expensive :tears:

7 minutes ago, rubie said:

If not mistaken, a media editor (?) wrote an open letter to Eugene.. well, I think it's an editorial written about Joseon back then and the current South Korean situation.

It looks like an interesting article. Hope someone would post an English translation. 

• Like 5

Just now, writteninthestars09 said:

Thanks for the info. Wish to have a memorabilia but it is quite expensive :tears:

you can buy the DVD version, cheaper haha. 

I can guarantee that it's worth every penny given that the director is going to reedit each episodes with extra scenes. 

• Like 3

I can’t help but read this. I’m trying not to read any spoilers. I became attached to Eugene and the others. I think they could have told us more about some of their stories. I wanted to know more about Ms. Kido. I think she was the daughter of Lee wan ik, right?

So I’m sorry. I think I said something ignorant. I said I didn’t know anything about Korean/Japanese history. This is true. I’m not saying one country is better than the other. I’m not taking sides. I don’t know how this drama ends. I want the Emperor of Joseon to make peace with Japan. I didn’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings. Sometimes I feel stupid. 

@rubie You still here? I think I was rude to you. I said, “I’m trying to take a break.” But you made me think, “ rubie is so sweet! She makes me want to finish this drama. And you made me want share my thoughts with you and everyone else. So I’m trying to finish it! I believe I got a lot of episodes finished! I don’t know anything about Kim Tae Ri. I think I am her fan! I think her character is so brave! 

@ everyone I think Kim Tae Ri’s character is my role model. I believe she wanted to save the Joseon that she loved. I believe she didn’t put love above her loyalty to her country. I think Eugene was torn. I think he was happy he escaped slavery. I think he also loved Joseon too. I was sad when some of the characters died. I kept saying, “Please turn good!” For example I wish Lee   Wan Ik apologized! I believe he killed the resistance fighters right? I will come back with more thoughts. I said, “It’s so hard! I really want to share my thoughts on this drama. I just love LBH and Kim Tae Ri’s acting so much!” 

@CarmarieHi. I think I was rude to you too. I think I was selfish! I said, “I don’t think you should reply to me. I said that on Ji Sung’s drama thread. I’m sorry. I wanted to explain. I tried to cut myself off from soompi. Then you said I belonged in that thread. And you made me cry. I cried because you were so nice to me. And I don’t have any friends. And that’s one of the reasons I’m taking a break. You made me remember how much fun I had. Thank you. And I wish you would share your thoughts on this drama. I really want to read your thoughts! Do you forgive me?

@rubieI’m sorry I’m mentioned you again. I think you made me feel the same way. I think you made me feel emotional. I think you said “Where was she?” I said, “She was wondering where I went?!” You made me feel like I could make a friend. I’m sorry  I’m getting so emotional. I know this is so off-topic. I bet I’ll get a warning. I hope I don’t get you in trouble with me! And my favorite actor is Gong Yoo. I became his fan after Train to Busan! I got sad. I hope he returns someday! And I made other fans of his upset. I did this on his thread and I’ve upset others! I have any friends who like him! I don’t have any friends at all! Hahahaha! I’m not trying to get your pity. Well, I was thinking of you and Carmarie. I think you two made me feel like soompi was a good place again. :) I’m sorry if I bother you. I will be back! 

I hope I’m not bothering anyone. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, writteninthestars09 said:

It looks like an interesting article. Hope someone would post an English translation. 

Not quite the translation but a gist of the article through the comments. It does start with such a heartfelt opening. It's just like how Kyle or GwanSoo (previously Joseph) would be writing to Eugene. :(

Much thanks to the Sunshiners on twitter ~

• Like 9

Recaps and review from the blog, The Writers Room......

Mr Sunshine Episode 24 Recap (Series Finale)

A Seating arrangement has been made below the throne at the king’s court. The officials walk in to get their pictures taken. Al the traitors are present and Lee Ji Yong (among the officials) says that the photographer is the grandson of Kim-Hyeon Seob, a former minister at the Palace. Hui Seung stands with his camera and the others ask why he is doing a petty job like this. Hui Seung says that there is no other honour than writing history. They tell him to take a good picture as it is for the history books. As Hui Seung gets ready to shoot, he says with a grim look that they will be remembered for generations. He shoots the photos.

5.JPG

At night, Deok mun lies dead at Hwawollu as Eugene removes the list from Deok mun’s pocket. He gets up as Dong mae walks in saying he knew someone will die in this room (Taylor was killed in the same room). Eugene says he took Hwawollu back for Dong mae. He says it may have some blood on it, but it is his. They hear more gunshots.

Ae-shin (in disguise) runs on the roof as she hears the gunshots to see what is happening. She sees the Japanese soldiers shooting down Haman, Mr Haengrang and the others and is shocked.

Link below for continuation of the recaps.

https://thewritersroomchennai.in/2018/09/29/mr-sunshine-episode-24-recap/

There is a review of the last episode and the drama itself at the end of recaps which I quite like. I had posted it below for your reading pleasure.

—————————————————————————-

Review

This was indeed a tragic ending for all the leads.

The scene with the human chain revisits the fact that people of Joseon are strong-spirited even years after the battle of Ganghwa. It goes to prove how the country managed to retain sovereignty for this long. Haman’s last words to Ae-shin was heart-wrenching as she was a mother-figure to Ae-shin.

It was a delight to see the 3 male leads back at the bar finally raising their glasses together. It is unfortunate that they didn’t get to spend more time with each other when the friendship finally blossomed between the 3.

Dong mae died like a true warrior. He fought till his last breath and was satisfied during his death as he managed to leave a mark in Ae-shin’s life. The scene where his apparition looks at his dead form and then disappears was well made.

Hui Seung’s character was one that evolved the most out of all the characters. He ended up recording history and managed to get it to keep it from falling into the hands of the Japanese. His importance wasn’t recognised much by the people back then but it definitely would have been recognised later on. He single-handedly shook up the Japanese with his words.

Eugene sure is Mr Sunshine, true to the title. His love was true and selfless as he always walked in the same direction as his ladylove. It seems like it was Joseon’s good fortune that Eugene ended up loving a patriotic Joseon woman, for he was the one who delayed Joseon’s fall by many days if not years. His character leaves a lasting impact and stands out even after the series has ended.The words on Eugene’s headstone were thoughtful and suited his sentiment. The last scene also emphasises that he was only a helper and never considered himself a patriot.

Ae-shin ended up paying a heavy price for choosing the path of being a patriot. Her ending shows the extent of loss a person faces when they choose their country over their loved ones. In a very small span of time, she lost everyone who cared for her and protected her all along. I wonder how much impact Dong mae’s words (spoilt noble fool) had on her life and if it was also a factor which made her want to prove herself to her country.

It was interesting how Eugene meets another figure from history- Frederick Arthur Mckenzie. The interview and scene with them taking a photograph (which exists in history) were well made. The brutality of the Japanese soldiers never fails to make an impact, especially in the scenes which shows Eun san, Hui Seung and Eugene’s death.

It would have been a consolation if we would have known some more things like, who found Hui Seung’s box that he had buried, if Ae-shin ever found out that Eugene was in prison for those 3 years, whose hands the nesting doll fell into and if Eugene’s letter was read by anyone, the situation in Joseon in 1919.

The Series promised us a story about the unsung heroes during Joseon’s struggle for freedom. It was interesting that the unsung heroes who stood out were the loved ones (Eugene, Dong-mae, Haman, Mr Haengrang etc) of the freedom fighters. They deserve more praise as its not their cause to begin with and they joined the cause because the person whom they care for feels strongly for it.

It was saddening that the story of all the leads ended more tragically than that of their predecessors. With respect to history and the timeline in which the series has been set, a sad ending was expected; but the finale did not leave a lasting impression as compared to its previous episodes. The series finale delivered only a sad ending for the characters and nothing more.

Series Review

The series got off to a slow start but it started picking up pace after the third week. This drama is deep-set and emotive. The show was initially criticised for discrepancies with respect to actual history. This made me curious and I read up on the country’s history during the timeline too.

The drama is set in the timeline when the Joseon slowly fell into Japan’s control. The makers have done a great job in showcasing how hard the patriots and citizens struggled to stop the inevitable. The brutality of the Japanese and the spirit of Joseon is depicted well.

Mr Sunshine shows life and the love story of Eugene Choi till his death. Eugene Choi’s characterisation is extremely impressive. He is truly the great and noble one as addressed by the other characters. His memory shines brightly and is everlasting like the sun.

The show showcases the life of people from various backgrounds in Joseon during the Japanese invasion, how their lives are impacted by it and their feelings towards their motherland. Since the show takes some time to develop we get used to Joseon’s atmosphere and the locals and it creates an impact when we see Joseon change during the invasion. The supporting characters grow on us as we continue to watch the series.

The plot is complex with a series of subplots. The romance plot also started suffering after a point of time as there was a constant wavering and sometimes selfishness in the character-sketch of the female lead. The series also kept seeing new characters that kept cropping up even when it came into the final week.  For a series that showed a lot of promise in the beginning, the finale could have been better. Despite that,

What makes Mr Sunshine worth watching are-

• Dialogues
  • Bromance
  • Uniqueness of the Romance
  • Character sketches
  • Cinematography
  • Exceptional performance by the actors
  • The songs and themes

The romance in Mr Sunshine is unique and interesting with the language barrier acting as a bridge that contributes to the bond in relationship between the leads Go Ae-shin and Eugene Choi. It was refreshing to see a deep relationship with almost no physical intimacy between the lead pair, which is rare. The ironic part is that despite there being two other leads, Ae-shin’s patriotism towards her motherland seems to be the hindrance to their relationship. Eugene always seems to be struggling to make her love him more than Joseon.

The bromance in this series is the best I’ve seen so far. Despite the 3 leads liking the same woman, the scenes with the three main leads are extremely good. The rivalry was shown in a light-hearted and humorous way.

The cinematography is mindblowing  as it displays all the four seasons and the sets are picturesque.

The Series promised us a story about the unsung heroes during Joseon’s struggle for freedom. It was interesting that the unsung heroes who stood out were the loved ones (Eugene, Dong-mae, Haman, Mr Haengrang etc) of the freedom fighters. They deserve more praise as its not their cause to begin with and they joined the cause because the person whom they care for feels strongly for it.

Lee Byung Hun has given an exceptional performance in his role as the majestic Eugene Choi. His portrayal of the extremely intelligent American soldier who was born in Joseon does full justice to the role of Mr Sunshine. Eugene Choi is an unwavering and righteous personality who loves selflessly and his character stands out among the rest. He will be remembered as a foreigner who helped Joseon putting his life on the line to keep his lady love safe.

Kim Tae Ri has portrayed the female lead Go Ae-shin excellently. She deserves praise as the character involves various kinds of emotions to be brought on screen and she has delivered it perfectly.

Yeo Yeon Suk’s performance as the brooding and daring swordsman Gu-Dong mae is laudable.

Kim Min Jung has done a great job in portraying the calm, composed but fiery Hina Kudo who creates an impact with her performance.

Byun Yo-han has perfectly portrayed the role of Kim Hui Seung, a charming man who becomes an important addition to the freedom movement.

The supporting cast’s work is praiseworthy as they constitute the spirit of Joseon.

Patriotism is an emotion highly felt in the countries that celebrate an independence day. Now and then we need a series to show us how tough it was to fight off invasion and gain the freedom that we take for granted. Mr Sunshine did that by delivering this piece of work in the form of a tragedy.

-By Soul Sword-

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, charray said:

Thanks @charray for the review of ep 24 & the whole series. A spot on review & my thoughts exactly.

• Like 7

@rubie thank you for sharing it here. I dont hang out in twitter much. It is good to see articles like this to reflect what Koreans actually think of the situation they are in. And you're right, it sounds like how Joseph or Kyle or Gwan Soo would be writing to Eugene :tears:

I made a google translate of the article.

Dear Eugene,

Are you comfortable in the distance?

You left and it took a lot of time. Shortly a week, a hundred years long. In the meantime, there were more things in Chosun. It was a little late thanks to your steps and muzzle that always led you to the right side, but Chosun finally broke down. Because it was decided direction anyway, it was not able to stop by any power. Rather, it has been done by the many powerful people of Korea for the purpose of getting to the network faster. The pain and the tragedy have returned to the powerless people.

With the defeat of Japan, the war ended and you had an independent homeland as you had hoped, but it was not by your own strength, so there were fewer tragedies. It has become divided into the South and the North by other powerful nations and has become two countries with different ideologies and politics. And there was war. This land, which was seen as nothing more damnable, turned into a scene of tragedy.

Fortunately, after the war, one of the two countries has written a remarkable growth and success story. There are a lot of places to make delicious candies and breads than 'French bakery,' and you can find shops that sell only Gabe, one of the 'Glory Hotel', one by one across the city building. In the center of Manhattan, you were proud to have a billboard selling the weird things we made. The exciting song that many of our boys sing together was chosen as one of America's favorite songs. A few days ago, there was news that Kyle had the eighth US dollar in the world, which he had switched from 'Hadrio' to a sidewalk. It would be nice if you could come and see it yourself.

Not everything is good.

Many of them also resemble the end of Joseon.

Still, we do not know what to do in front of the outside enemy, and it is brutally cruel to the inner stillness. Just as in those days when we had a faction that did not recognize the existence of each other by creating a partisan society based on the neo-classical justification, there is no room for compromise among people who are still ideologically oriented. Maybe it was the last chance Chosun did not go to ruin like that. The way of thinking and open attitude of the city is still disguised by moralism in many cases. Sorry, but unfortunately, most of that moralism is hypocritical. It is often the emotional and inflammatory slogans that determine the direction of discussion rather than the rational process of judgment based on a cool and scientific perception of reality.

In those days, China, which joined the path of destruction along with the Joseon Dynasty, underwent a dramatic process and now it is the only country in the world to compete with the United States. At one time, the ideology that led the nation to produce and distribute valuable resources and to make the distribution of the results evenly swept the world like a storm, all of which led to failure. For those who have since believed that the prosperity and development of the nation is achieved through the protection of civil liberties in democracy, the growth and prominence of China is somewhat embarrassing. Perhaps in the not-too-distant future, our people will be forced to choose between two different values systems that are not very compatible.

It was a heavy topic to convey my best regards.

In my opinion, it seems that Chosun relied heavily on other outside forces rather than victory in response to a proper system in a national crisis. In the future, I hope you will not repeat your tragic history and sad love story to other Eugene. Thank you very much.

Heo Sung-wook Professor, College of Law, Seoul National University

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

Its safe to say that Mr. Sunshine got the whole world reeling, I for one is so glad that ive watched this Amazing drama, even with that tragic, and heartbreaking ending, no regrets here.. SALUTE to all involved with this drama, Jod well done :wub:

• Like 8

Lee Byung Hun just posted this on his IG. Not sure what it means? :wacko:

October 9, 2018

October Drama Brand Reputation Rankings Announced

Source: Soompi by E. Cha

The Korean Business Research Institute has revealed this month’s brand reputation rankings for dramas!

The rankings were determined through an analysis of the consumer participation, media coverage, interaction, community awareness, and viewership indexes of 34 popular dramas, using big data collected from September 7 to October 8.

KBS 2TV’s hit drama “My Only One” took first place in this month’s rankings. The drama, which features a star-studded cast including UEE, Lee Jang Woo, Na Hye Mi, and Choi Soo Jong, scored a brand reputation index of 12,707,380 for October.

High-ranking phrases in the drama’s keyword analysis included “diverse,” “refreshing,” and “cheering on,” while its highest-ranking related terms included “UEE,” “Lee Jang Woo,” and “Yoon Jin Yi.” A positivity-negativity analysis of “My Only One” also revealed a score of 72.19 percent positive reactions.

tvN’s “Mr. Sunshine” came in second place for October with a brand reputation index of 12,437,683. SBS’s morning drama “I’m a Mother Too” (literal title) took third place for the month with an index of 9,686,388.

Check out the top 20 dramas for this month below!

1. “My Only One”
2. “Mr. Sunshine”
3. “I’m a Mother Too”
4. “Love Until the End” (literal title)
5. “100 Days My Prince”
6. “Terius Behind Me”
 7. “Familiar Wife”
8. “Sunny Again Tomorrow”
9. “My ID is Gangnam Beauty”
10. “The Third Charm”
11. “The Guest”
12. “The Ghost Detective”
13. “30 but 17”
14. “Where Stars Land”
15. “The Beauty Inside”
16. “Hide and Seek”
17. “Let Me Introduce Her”
18. “Room No. 9“
19. “Your Honor”
20. “Secrets and Lies”

Source (1)

• Like 7

1 hour ago, elfvanvan said:

@rubie

LBH still has a Mr. Sunshine hangover hahaha :D, his wife commented the video, too bad im like EC cant read Korean :D

Ohh.. she did? That's a nice surprise. ^_^ I've just checked, wow.. there're like.. a lot of comments. Using Google translate, MJ commented "I'm scared".. which what I felt too, when I saw the clip. The hand-shadow thing is kinda scary.. and EC, you know.. didn't make it. :blink:

MR.SUNSHINE.. you made our emotions go upside-down.th_twister3.gif

• Like 4
  • LOL 1