Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

After thinking about the series, storyline, forced script, mistakes (lack of logic and realism, unreal scenes and behavior of characters, disappearing and appearing characters and many more...) and strange solutions, I lost interest in this thread. I just feel bad thinking about the whole production and lost potential - this series could have been much better. Many things could have been shown with a much better way and the message would be similar - the way of returning the heroine to Joseon (american legation in Japan, DM, emperor delegation) is a terrible and forced and I could write a few pages about many things done badly in Mr Sunshine. The ending is not shocking, sad but spoiled by the use of the main characters in this way. Writers should satisfy both sides realists/pragmatists and those who are delighted with symbolism (unfortunately, exaggerated in MR Sunshine). 

Despite the fictionality of Ae-Shin and Eugene and their love in the first half they were so credible by KES that it was not necessary to force what happened in the second half of the series. I have the impression that they wanted to attract/mislead viewers because they had the right to go to the US - their sad experience and accomplishments for RA and opportunities that they could had abroad for Joseon/RA.

Ahn-Chang-Ho could spread the words about Joseon situation (political activist) and Japan wrongdoings then why force Ae-Shin and Eugene in this way... KES forced point of view on this period and the result. Short-sightedness or avoiding uncomfortable topics?

It is interesting that KES chooses characters and hides the one who killed Ito Hirobumi in 1909. Read the biography of An Jung-geun a Korean nationalist. The character is quite interesting because he recognised, he accepted Japanese imperialism but he didn't like certain methods (which was understandable by the wrongdoings of the Japanese) and he fought actively with them and he had a different vision Pan-asianism. Ahn strongly believed in the union of the three great countries in East Asia, China, Korea, and Japan in order to counter and fight off the "White Peril", namely, the European countries engaged in colonialism, and restore peace to East Asia. He followed the progress of Japan during the Russo-Japanese War and claimed that he and his compatriots were delighted at hearing of the defeat of one of the agents of the White Peril, but were disappointed that the war ended before Russia was totally subjugated.

Ahn felt that with the death of Ito, Japan and Korea could become friends because of the many traditions that they shared. He hoped that this friendship, along with China, would become a model for the world to follow. His thoughts on Pan-Asianism were stated in his essay, "On Peace in East Asia" that he worked on and left unfinished before his execution. In this work, Ahn recommends the organization of combined armed forces and the issue of joint banknotes among Korea, Japan, and China.

Thank you all for your time, dialogue and making individual theories and thoughts about Mr Sunshine. 

I need to look for something that will fix my crushed mind. As I mentioned, I want to forget about this series as soon as possible. It will take some time for me, but I've been going through it a few times with Kdramas.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, aurelionsol said:

It is interesting that KES chooses characters and hides the one who killed Ito Hirobumi. Read the biography of An Jung-geun a Korean nationalist. The character is quite interesting because he recognised, he accepted Japanese imperialism but he didn't like certain methods (which was understandable by the wrongdoings of the Japanese) and he had a different vision Pan-asianism. Ahn strongly believed in the union of the three great countries in East Asia, China, Korea, and Japan in order to counter and fight off the "White Peril", namely, the European countries engaged in colonialism, and restore peace to East Asia. He followed the progress of Japan during the Russo-Japanese War and claimed that he and his compatriots were delighted at hearing of the defeat of one of the agents of the White Peril, but were disappointed that the war ended before Russia was totally subjugated.

Ahn felt that with the death of Ito, Japan and Korea could become friends because of the many traditions that they shared. He hoped that this friendship, along with China, would become a model for the world to follow. His thoughts on Pan-Asianism were stated in his essay, "On Peace in East Asia" that he worked on and left unfinished before his execution. In this work, Ahn recommends the organization of combined armed forces and the issue of joint banknotes among Korea, Japan, and China.

Thank you all for your time, dialogue and making individual theories and thoughts about Mr Sunshine. 

I need to look for something that will fix my crushed mind. As I mentioned, I want to forget about this series as soon as possible. It will take some time for me, but I've been going through it a few times with Kdramas.

Thank you for sharing the above on Anh Jung Geun. So much history to learn and find out about Korea during that time period.

It is nice having you on this thread with us. Hope you will get over the disappointment of this drama soon. Usually watching and getting absorbed into another drama is the best way to get over a drama.

For me, after the initial trauma and shock of that cruel train scene, I have now accepted the sad ending for Eugene particularly after reading the views of others. I understand that many viewers think that Ae Shin embodies the spirit of Joseon and that is why everyone is protecting her including even having the emperor sending a delegation to Japan to bring her back to Joseon which we will think is illogical and makes no sense.

• Like 8

Time for a break, time to heal th_SMALLBLUET.gif Just like many of us, the wonderful artist(s) sharing lovely MR.SUNSHINE artwork is also having post-drama syndrome (re: comment section).

Art by mmeflm

• Like 6

On 10/3/2018 at 1:42 PM, coco_dohl said:

Yap From what I've seen, only a few members here are a little disappointed, and some disappointed people on Instagram, on Twitter as far as I know nobody regrets the end of the story, only people who can't sleep until they fall ill see the main character's slaughter:joy:

KoalaPlayground, Mydramalist, Asianwiki, hancinema, Especially annoying sites like Dramabeans I have never seen reviews there seriously:):D

Agreed. At first I was disappointed because who doesnt want your favorite characters to live and have a happy or not so tragic ending?

For me now that the inital shock and emotions of watching the last few episodes are wearing off. I can appreciate why the story ended as it did. Each character had power in their deaths by choosing the exact moment that it would be the most benficial to Joseon and to Aeshin. Once I go back and rewatch it I will have deeper thoughts but for now my impression is that it ended the only way it could...in agonizing heartbreak :-( <3

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, marfisa said:

@rubie I watched again episode 23 till the scene of the hospital. I apology, because I was wrong, Eugene had a gun on his own. But to fire the Japanes he uses a gun taken from the first Japanese he puts down. Then he put it back in the hand of the dead Japanese. So I should watch the restof the episode  to find out where the bullets of his own gun went, because I don't remember at all.  Still, he could steal a gun and bullets anywhere. I am upset.

Probably KES wanted to remind us that Eugene was never good at counting bullets. Remember he failed the drill test and Kyle made him run laps?  It would be a tongue-in-cheek moment if they showed a replay of that scene when Eugene counted the bullet in front of AS.  My goodness this show was obsessed with replaying the scenes to explain minor/major plot points like we didn’t get it. My take is Eugene was a fool in love when it came to Ae Shin so don’t expect him to have any common sense because the writer wouldn’t allow him to (ok stop crying now. Its over.)

I wish it could be perfect because I truly love the drama but the ending was like a deal breaker for me.  I was not convinced of his death because as a character Eugene was a great strategist and always made the right decision in the most precarious situations, at least that’s what KES led me to believe. It was a heroic death but I don’t buy it. I feel the writer just wanted to have the most impactful ending without a care for character nor storyline consistency.  If Ae Shin represents Joseon then I expect her character to shine as fire flower (was that her line?) but what I got was a very lackluster AS.  She almost faded into the background while her loved ones died protecting her.  I couldn’t connect with AS in the last 2 eps with the AS I came to love in the first 22 eps. Even AS-EC or AS-DM reunion scenes upset me.  The scenes were very underwhelming (due to time constraints I guess)  Anyway I could go on and on about the imperfection but I should just accept that this is it.  And then there were none except AS!  

Now if someone can write an alternative ending/fanfic that will ease us some pain :wub:  Any Homeland fans in here? I was #Quinning for a long time, endured a whole season of Quinn being tortured and Carrie forgetting him until they completely killed him off in the next season.  I since then abandoned the show. At least there is no season 2 for Mr Sunshine because I don’t see how they can bring Mr. Sunshine back to life. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

October 5, 2018

Traditional Andong opens up its doors:

The nation’s cultural capital makes efforts to welcome new visitors

ANDONG, North Gyeongsang - Home to a fair share of Korea’s historic and traditional culture, Andong is ready to show a different side of itself to the new groups of visitors visiting the city thanks to its role in the TV drama “Mr. Sunshine,” with actor Lee Byung-hun. 

Some scenes were filmed at Manhyujeong, a traditional Korean pavilion located in the city. Those looking to recreate the romantic moment they saw in the drama are already making plans to visit the southern city. 

Full article at INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily // Photos: dongho_gt

• Like 8

17 hours ago, rubie said:

Hopefully, we will continue to see more comments at this thread especially. Apart from twitter (which surprisingly is buzzing with #MrSunshine), soompi is a good place for discussion and sharing. It's the old-school kinda forum but much easier to navigate from years ago.

Dear @rubie sorry to cut your lovely post. You will definitely see more comments from yours truly, whether some people want it or not LOL  - just try and stop me :) Although it will be on my favourite subject ... I'd try  my best to keep on topic.   Thanks for the link to the article about Andong - guess who in July last year was appointed Goodwill Ambassador of North Gyeongsang Province? :)

• LOL 2

@seabysea18

After asking around about MS ending, some says that as Jarhead EC is train to neutralized hostiles with less casualties esp with civies, thats why out of 2000 or more options he had he chooses the better one, where there only be one casualty, and thats him. Sad but true, 

On lighter note some one indeed wrote a fanfic about MS its title a "The better ending" its on tumbler and in twitter, please do read, it will help lessen the pain, the author says that she will post it soon on ff, hope that helps :D

Sorry i dont know how to post a link 

P.S she posted it on ff already :D

Edited by elfvanvan
  • Like 6

If Eugene was still in the military, Kyle would have knocked some senses into him. But he's not, so he's on his own to choose his path. :unsure: The Marines uniform and rank were indeed the immunity shield for EC, Kyle Moore was his life-line.. unfortunately for Eugene, AeShin became his kryptonite. :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

6 hours ago, linygirl1 said:

Agreed. At first I was disappointed because who doesnt want your favorite characters to live and have a happy or not so tragic ending?

For me now that the inital shock and emotions of watching the last few episodes are wearing off. I can appreciate why the story ended as it did. Each character had power in their deaths by choosing the exact moment that it would be the most benficial to Joseon and to Aeshin. Once I go back and rewatch it I will have deeper thoughts but for now my impression is that it ended the only way it could...in agonizing heartbreak :-( <3

Maybe this is the KES revenge event for the drama audience, the female character she always made looks weak now she makes a brave Aeshin character, then people say before 'Mr. Sunshine' she doesn't dare to kill his own character, now she prove the sadistic slaughter in Mr. Sunshine:joy:

So now be careful if you want to watch the drama she made XD

• Like 3

There is speculation that the character of Eugene Choi is inspired by a real person.

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, charray said:

There is speculation that the character of Eugene Choi is inspired by a real person.

Thanks @charray for sharing this! It appears his English name is Earl K. Whang and he died around age 40. Is it me or there is some resemblance of him and LBH?? :o This is getting juicy!!!

• Like 3

That's interesting. There's really a striking resemblance of both men too. Thank you for sharing @charray

I came across this post in another site.

Credit to wjdcj for this. 

The 4 main leads -

Go Ae Shin,

Choi Yoo Jin,

Gu Dong Mae,

Kim Hee Sung. 
Rearrange their last names and it spells "Kim Gu Choi Go" 

In Korean, "Choi Go" means best/the best, and "Kim Gu" was a leader in the Korean Independence movement (along with Ahn ChangHo, they were very good friends). So, their last names spell out "Kim Gu the Best/Kim Gu is the best":')

What do u guys think? 

I looked up Kim Gu and here's what i found. Kim Gu (김구; 金九; Kim Koo or Kim Ku Korean pronunciation: [kimɡu]; also known by his pen name Baekbeom (백범; 白凡; ), August 29, 1876 – June 26, 1949) was a Korean nationalist politician. He was the sixth and later the last Premier of the Provisional Government of the Republic of Korea, a leader of the Korean independence movement against the Japanese Empire, and a reunification activist after 1945.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, mistymorning said:

From LBH's instagram, with Kyle :D

David Lee McInnis also posted the same photo of Kyle & Eugene ^_^ and he wrote, 

Thank you 선배님 (sunbaenim) for your generosity and for being a relentless leader. It was truly a picnic! @byunghun0712

• Like 7

10/5 Another photo uploaded by Lee Byung Hun on his IG today. Looks like the scene in Japan (ep 21), running up the stairs towards the fireworks. Well, actually running away from the Japanese gang to the American Legation. One bullet tactic and both survived. ;)

mrsun21_10.gif

• Like 10

16 hours ago, seabysea18 said:

Any Homeland fans in here? I was #Quinning for a long time, endured a whole season of Quinn being tortured and Carrie forgetting him until they completely killed him off in the next season.

Homeland obsessed here until they messed with Quinn. I can barely get through Season 6 so I abandoned it completely.

16 hours ago, rubie said:

Some scenes were filmed at Manhyujeong, a traditional Korean pavilion located in the city. Those looking to recreate the romantic moment they saw in the drama are already making plans to visit the southern city. 

Thanks for this!!! I've been wondering where they filmed the show. 

• Like 4