Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Omo...this pic...DM with the hat and AS...I smiled..

The other pic...DM and Hina at the beach...lovely.

They look like a perfectly happy couple.

You can frame that picture.

• Like 1

Ok, already went to bed and now woken up, feeling heavyhearted. Denial mode is still on. th_sad011.gif Why can't the ending be.. that Eugene got badly injured but he survived the train mission. It's somehow a waste when he's actually a very good strategist (like Eun San), especially with his military background that would be a big benefit to the future RA. Such a waste of a good man, but he already decided (or rather being decided by KES) to die early for AS. Didn't he just got back to Joseon in 1907 and died the same year? Sigh, what a waste.. and worst, not even one progeny to carry on the legacy.. is he not human? ( th_protest.gif purely personal protest).

Don't mind me.. denial mode is hard to kick. Now going to pick up the scattered pieces of my heart th_sad010.gif and get through the days with no sunshine..

Nonetheless, glad to know that the Korean netizens & public's very positive response for the drama. MR.SUNSHINE is indeed and truly an EXCEPTIONAL drama by an AMAZING production with the most IMPRESSIVE performances, from everyone in the cast.. not a doubt about it. But it's also a highly hazardous drama for the viewers' heart, mind and well-being with a definite KES-phobia plus an infinite traumatic effect. th_stretcher.gif

My utmost gratitude to everyone at MR.SUNSHINE soompi. It's been my daily sanctuary for the past months. A special thank you to @Go Seung Ji for starting this drama thread, we missed you here. th_katt.gif

October 1, 2018

“Mr. Sunshine” Cast Say Their Farewells As Drama Comes To An End

Source: Soompi by C. Hong

âMr. Sunshineâ Cast Say Their Farewells As Drama Comes To An End

On September 30, one of the most popular dramas of 2018, “Mr. Sunshine,” came to an end.

The penultimate episode, which aired on September 29, took viewership ratings of 15.4 (average) and 16.5 (peak) percent, including cable, satellite, IPTV, and all other paid platforms. It was the most-watched show in its time slot across all cable and public broadcast channels on Saturday night.

lee-byung-hun-kim-tae-ri.jpg

Just before the drama’s finale, the cast shared their feelings and comments on the project coming to a close. Lee Byung Hun, who played the Korean-boy-turned-American-soldier Eugene Choi, said, “As the drama comes to an end, I remember all the moments throughout spring, summer, fall, and winter of this year. As my first drama in a long time, ‘Mr. Sunshine’ was a never-ending parade of excitement and nervousness.”

He continued, “I want to say thank you to the viewers for their interest, time, support, and love. This is a drama that is very memorable for me, so I hope that it is the same for them as well.”

kim-tae-ri-kim-min-jung.jpg

Kim Tae Ri, who played the Joseon noblewoman Go Ae Shin, said, “The memories have piled up like mountains, but it feels strange to realize that this epic 24-episode run is coming to an end. Filming was always fun and brought me happiness, and I’m grateful for that. I hope that my happiness will translate to an enjoyable experience for the viewers until the very end. Thank you for the love you’ve shown Go Ae Shin as well as Kim Tae Ri.”

Spoiler

yoo-yeon-seok-kim-tae-ri.jpg

Yoo Yeon Seok, who played Goo Dong Mae, a rebel fighter desperately in love with Go Ae Shin, said, “I feel a lot of regrets at saying goodbye to a project that I’ve worked on for a whole year. Because we filmed for so long, I’ve grown close to the senior and junior actors, co-stars, director, writer, and production staff. I’ve also grown close to my character, Dong Mae, so it won’t be easy to say goodbye. I hope that Dong Mae will remain in the viewers’ memories for a long time as well.”

Spoiler

yoo-yeon-seok-kim-min-jung.jpg

Kim Min Jung, who played the beautiful and powerful hotel owner Kudo Hina, said, “In an acting career, it’s hard to find a project that has both incredible popularity and amazing cinematic value. I’m therefore honored, proud, and happy to have been a part of ‘Mr. Sunshine.’ I’m grateful that people could find Hina’s words and feelings relatable. It’s a character and project that will remain in my heart for a long time.”

Spoiler

byun-yo-han-kim-min-jung.jpg

Byun Yo Han, who plays Go Ae Shin’s fiancé Kim Hee Sung, said, “I hope that ‘Mr. Sunshine’ has taught us to remember the people in history who should not be forgotten. Thank you to everyone who loved Kim Hee Sung and ‘Mr. Sunshine’ and I hope it will remain a memorable project for years to come.”

Spoiler

byun-yo-han-yoo-yeon-seok-lee-byung-hun.jpg

The production staff also released a statement saying, “Lee Byung Hun, Kim Tae Ri, Yoo Yeon Seok, Kim Min Jung, Byun Yo Han, and the other cast members have poured their passion and effort into filming. We would like to thank them and the entire production crew for their hard work. Thank you also to the viewers who made ‘Mr. Sunshine’ the talk of the nation and please look forward to the finale on September 30.

Source (1)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

We end on a high note. :D

AGB Nielsen Ratings:

Episode 1   7/7/18       8.852%

Episode 2   7/8/18       9.691%

Episode 3   7/14/18    10.082%

Episode 4   7/15/18    10.567%

Episode 5   7/21/18    10.835%

Episode 6   7/22/18     11.713%

Episode 7  7/28/18      11.114%

Episode 8  7/29/18      12.330%

Episode 9  8/3/18        11.695%

Episode 10  8/4/18      13.534%

Episode 11  8/11/18    12.792%

Episode 12  8/12/18    13.399%

Episode 13  8/18/18    13.327%

Episode 14  8/19/18    15.626%

Episode 15  8/25/18     12.893%

Episode 16  8/26/18   15.023%

Episode 17  9/1/18        7.694% *

Episode 18  9/2/18     14.722%

Episode 19  9/8/18      14.114%

Episode 20  9/9/18      16.500%

Episode 21  9/5/18    14.280%

Episode 22   9/6/18    16.588%

Episode 23  9/29/18   15.419%

Episode 24  9/27/18   18.129% (Finale)

* Pan Pacific Games 2018

Source

Screenshot 2018-09-30 15.40.59

tVN

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

What I just saw... raw version (no translation), no logic/realism. I know that Eugene said her something before his death, she also said something during the training of new RA members, but it will not be enough for me... I dont need to know the meaning because I feel disappointed with the development of events in Mr Sunshine. I saw many sad endings... but this was tragically made by writers.

Very bad ending - script and many strange scenes (too many to mention). I don't understand the last episode - totally unpleasant and spoiling the impression Mr Sunshine (first half of the series was ok but later it was only worse, the last three episodes are totally mess). Hina once said that "a sad ending leaves a significant mark" or something similar but the writers only spoiled this ending.

The writers point of view disappointed me. I will skip death of the rest of characters. It was sad (Hina, HS, DM, Eun-san, servants - palanquin) but I'm very annoyed and disappointed by something else in Mr Sunshine. I really liked the characters Eugene and Ae-Shin in many episodes... but what they did in the last three episodes is completely destroying of these characters (my support for them and their difficult/complicated love went to waste because of forced script and bizarre point of view KES). She began to behave strangely after the 16-17 episode (her disappearance for half a year was a big mistake and later an attempt to use Eugene, I wanted her senses to return after Japan and I thought that she was back on the right path but ending of series finish off my mind) and he began to follow her and stopped be smart, rational...

Train: another suicide mission, she is one of the most wanted people in the country (a normal person would ask the Emperor for help and secretly leave the country because she ceased to be useful and she is married - this make sense, Eugene followed her and lost his life this time - WTF)

Why didn't he order japanese soldiers drop their rifles (he is a former high-ranking American officer not moron!). Writers had to come up with something stupid and comical because it didn't make sense. 

After his death, she still fights and can die every day - it's so stupid.  Why did he sacrifice his life?

She trains next generations of RA like he did and I have to be satisfied with it? I don't buy it. As a viewer I am devastated by the solution of many scenes in episode 23-24 and previous ones.

I have the impression that they killed all the people around Ae-Shin so that she would still fight (revenge, homeland, no one was left) and that's what I got out of the last episode - disappointment. We don't even know what happened to her. They quickly showed 1919 and Domi. What!?! They cut the scenes terribly... 

If I was a Korean, I can understand Eun-san's/RA members death in an ambush, HS beaten to death (sense of pride present korean generation by their sacrifice), but Eugene's death was unnecessary and ruined the whole impression (DM's death also made no sense, he almost died in Japan and suddenly found himself in Manchuria in a hideout for drug addicts - unreal, the same meaning as Eugene in prison for 3 years - treason oO).  I don't want to be mean but from my perspective Ae-Shin led to his death. I understand his desire to save his wife but she could not at least be pregnant (I would reconcile Eugene's death, she survived and raising up their child)? A 44-year-old man and a 32-year-old woman (a married couple) never slept together... They are both too much unrealistic and at some point they both became tiring characters and I stopped understanding their decisions. The result disappointed me completely

Hmm...

A former slave (sad youth), considered to be a stranger (still in the last episode oO), had to die for a weird reason (no sense to me) to be appreciated by the country and society. Of course he was loved by a noblewoman and he devoted everything for her. It is a pity that he suffered more often because of her than he was happy.

Noblewoman (she lost parents, family, home) devoted private happiness to her homeland and loved the former slave (even married him). Of course, she had to devoted everything for the country and behave more and more strangely. 

Typically for Korean series, several things have been either cut or forgotten (English school, emperor's adviser, uncle Ae-Shin and many more). Where is the logic here?

I feel as if through lack of audience they ordered to shorten the series and flattened threads and killed almost all of the main characters. In the last episode, I also saw a lot of mistakes (implementation) which is terrible for the series created by the year. 

• Like 7

Indeed, very bad script writing in the last couple of episode (except 21). 

If it wasn't for LBH and KTR, esp in the final train scene, these episodes would've been ruined. 

They were on their way to Manchuria for HE, the writer just had to kill Eugene off. 

This is the first time i feel that, it was the lead actors not the script writer that shoulder the whole drama, imho. Which is unusual for KES"s drama. Often, her script writing is core reason for the drama's success, but not this time, especially the last episode.  Trying too hard to implement nationalism by sacrificing the development of OTP after episode 19.  

AeShin should've followed Eugene to US, given that in the end she had to leave CX also.......

The last fish eating scene just broke my heart into pieces.....it's like watching two different drama and the cutoff point is around EP 18..

• Like 5

Hi Soompiers.  Well, I can't say that my overall viewing experience of Mr. Sunshine was a smooth one, but I'm glad to have shared this experience with you and hear all your insight and updates on the trajectory of the drama.  So, thank you for staying together with me during those increasingly tough, heartbreaking, and (expected but still) shockingly vicious moments towards the end of the drama.

Also, shout out to the cast and crew for bringing to life the rich storyline and characterizations that embody the plight and virtue (or lack thereof- Wan Ik, I'm looking right at you...:ph34r:) of those striving to persevere through the inevitable downfall of Joseon Korea in the hands of the Japanese.

And, objectively speaking, thanks KES for exploring this historical context and not shying away from portraying both the cruel, systematic oppression of Japanese regime and the daunting fallacies of Joseon as a society that had more-or-less forsaken and made enemies of their own people including DM, the treacherous Wan-Ik (not excusing any of his vile actions, but given his butcher class background, he probably figured, "To hell with Joseon that will otherwise abandon me") and almost EC (as a U.S. soldier and former Joseon slave, he did have the chance to leave Joseon with the U.S. at the expense of forgoing his relationship/future with AS).  For the most part, KES outdid herself amidst the sea of all of those renowned romfests (Heirs, Secret GardenDOTSGoblin, etc.) that I normally roll my eyes over, with the exception of City Hall (but then again, Kim Sun-ah and Cha Seung-won are love and life...:rolleyes:).

All pleasantries- and well-wishes to the cast and crew who deserve acclaims for their dedication and hard work (despite TVN probably not hosting their own end-of-the-year award shows, but there are other TV/movie award ceremonies like Baeksang and Blue Dragon Award to look forward to in 2019!:glasses:)- aside, my reaction to the finale, particularly the train scene, is the same as when watching AS' attempt at crossing over to Japan under the pretense of beseeching EC to take her with him to the U.S. towards the end of Ep 18 Ep. 20.  For those of you who are wondering what I'm talking about (since that reaction post is somewhere on p. 118 of this Soompi thread, here's a refresher in the spoiler below:

Spoiler

Related image

For more on this, I'll respond to the following quoted posts below:

2 hours ago, aurelionsol said:

What I just saw... raw version (no translation), no logic/realism. I know that Eugene said her something before his death, she also said something during the training of new RA members, but it will not be enough for me... I dont need to know the meaning because I feel disappointed with the development of events in Mr Sunshine. I saw many sad endings... but this was tragically made by writers.

Very bad ending - script and many strange scenes (too many to mention). I don't understand the last episode - totally unpleasant and spoil the impression Mr Sunshine (first half of the series was ok but later it was only worse, the last three episodes are totally mess). Hina once said that "a sad ending leaves a significant mark" or something similar but the writers only spoiled this ending.

The writers point of view disappointed me. I will skip death of the rest of characters. It was sad (Hina, HS, DM, Eun-san, servants - palanquin) but I'm very annoyed and disappointed by something else in Mr Sunshine. I really liked the characters Eugene and Ae-Shin in many episodes... but what they did in the last three episodes is completely destroying of these characters (my support for them and their difficult/complicated love went to waste because of forced script and bizarre point of view KES). She began to behave strangely after the 16-17 episode (her disappearance for half a year was a big mistake and later an attempt to use Eugene, I wanted her senses to return after Japan and I thought that she was back on the right path but ending of series finish off my mind) and he began to follow her and stopped be smart, rational...

Train: another suicide mission, she is one of the most wanted people in the country (a normal person would ask the Emperor for help and secretly leave the country because she ceased to be useful and she is married - this make sense, Eugene followed her and lost his life this time - WTF)

Why didn't he order japanese soldiers drop their rifles (he is a former high-ranking American officer not moron!). Writers had to come up with something stupid and comical because it didn't make sense. 

After his death, she still fights and can die every day - it's so stupid.  Why did he sacrifice his life?

She trains next generations of RA like he did and I have to be satisfied with it? I don't buy it. As a viewer I am devastated by the solution of many scenes in episode 23-24 and previous ones.

I have the impression that they killed all the people around Ae-Shin so that she would still fight (revenge, homeland, no one was left) and that's what I got out of the last episode - disappointment. We don't even know what happened to her. They quickly showed 1919 and Domi. What!?! They cut the scenes terribly... 

Hmm...

A former slave (sad youth), considered to be a stranger (still in the last episode oO), had to die for a weird reason (no sense to me) to be appreciated by the country and society. Of course he was loved by a noblewoman and he devoted everything for her. It is a pity that he suffered more often because of her than he was happy.

Noblewoman (she lost parents, family, home) devoted private happiness to her homeland and loved the former slave (even married him). Of course, she had to devoted everything for the country and behave more and more strangely. 

Typically for Korean series, several things have been either cut or forgotten (English school, emperor's adviser, uncle Ae-Shin and many more). Where is the logic here?

I feel as if through lack of audience they ordered to shorten the series and flattened threads and killed almost all of the main characters. In the last episode, I also saw a lot of mistakes (implementation) which is terrible for the series created by the year. 

Hi @aurelionsol.  Sorry to cut some of your post with ... due to length...

See, that's what I was afraid we'd see when addressing the Ep. 24 preview somewhere on p. 139 of this thread.  The only consolation I could gather from all this was that EC kept on trying to reassure AS that he'd support her cause and stand by her side as much as possible despite knowing what he'd get himself into.

That being said, I wish AS did consider not just EC's circumstances and thoughts but also that of Haman and others who have cared for her instead of just deciding to detach herself from them "for their own safety" while staying with the RA.  While AS had good intentions of evacuating her loved ones (EC, Haman, etc.) away from the Japanese, she should have realized that her loved ones- namely EC, Haman, and Mr. Haengrang-, as well as the "unlikely heroes"- specifically, HS and DM- , would not just let AS risk her life alone without intervening despite having little or no reason to fight for Joseon independence.  Let's face it, Haman and Mr. Haengrang would not have returned from Manchuria and ultimately offered themselves as bait to distract the Japanese from finding any Joseon RA members IF AS had chosen to run away with them and her family to Manchuria rather than stay in Joseon to fight with the RA.  And, btw, I did cry over Haman's final moments with AS in today's episode :tears:, as opposed to just raging incessantly over scenes of Japanese slaughter of Gunner Jang Seung-gu and others :rage:.

If not sometime between Ep. 20 and Ep. 22 (with all those 6-month, 3-year, and other timely separations that could've otherwise been spent on AS and EC working together towards their future while evading Japanese capture and not worrying Haman and other loved ones), then the beginning of today's episode should have been a turning point for AS to reconsider whether or not it's worth continuing her long-ingrained fight for Joseon independence at the expense of losing more of her loved ones vowing to stay by her side despite her trying to dissuade them.  Of course, that's a moot point to discuss any further, now that all of her loved ones (and "unlikely heroes" like HS, DM, and HN) basically died for her despite having little or no individual cause in Joseon.  Not to mention that EC and AS have no child (or kiss scene, for that matter; what gives, KES!? :blink:) who could remember and carry onward their legacy to future descendants (of the sun...no pun intended here...-_-).  As shown in the end, AS will continue soldiering her fight for Joseon independence (I guess, cheers to K-netizen viewers championing AS and the RA as some symbolic embodiment of Korean perseverance before and during the 30-40 year Japanese control of Korea) without having to worry more about the safety or whereabouts of her past or future loved ones; for said past loved ones already died, and there are no little future ones of AS and EC in sight (unless I'm mistaken; please let me know, Soompiers!)...<_<

Furthermore, as you mentioned, EC died as both a former Joseon slave with no reparations from the Joseon government and society, and a "disgraced" U.S. soldier who went against U.S. orders of retreating from Joseon and not interfering with Joseon-Japanese affairs.  So where's the payoff on that!?  I'd say the same for DM, who, if it weren't for AS, would not have looked back at a nation that forsook and doomed his parents to a brutal life and death at the hand of the lowly Joseon people due to their butcher class background.

Okay, I'll need to cool myself down for a while so that I could appreciate more objectively the overall trajectory and message of this drama, including the finale.

2 hours ago, kansas424 said:

Indeed, very bad script writing in the last couple of episode (except 21). 

If it wasn't for LBH and KTR, esp in the final train scene, these episodes would've been ruined. 

They were on their way to Manchuria for HE, the writer just had to kill Eugene off. 

Hi @kansas424.  I concur that KTR and LBH (along with YYS, BYH, KMJ, and other cast members) truly carried their characters and story despite the downward spiral including the WTF train scene.  Seeing EC's grief-stricken yet stoic face and hearing AS's heart-wrenching "Choi Yoo-jin!!!!!!" really got to me :bawling:, no matter the otherwise ridiculousness of that train scene :triumph:.

• Like 5

Well, I cried buckets. Soaked through an entire box of kleenex.

I saw it coming, and it didn't hurt any less.

Back in July, I predicted everyone would die. They have to, because it makes narrative sense. Each main character is a symbol of Joseon. And Joseon falls. This story isn't about an individual's happiness. It was never going to end the way anyone wanted. Because that's what history tells us. They lose this fight, and they lose their country. But they fought like hell against it, and put their lives on the line, as futile as it seemed. And their sacrifice mattered. Each sacrifice paved the way for Joseon to rise again.

Ae-Shin is Mother Joseon. The three main male characters loved her fiercely, but it was not all about romantic love. Their love symbolized their love for Joseon, because they knew that she loved and would die for Joseon. Each man had turned their back on Joseon before, but they each came back because of their love for her. And she survives, because she is the small sliver of hope that lived on. She is the Joseon that lived on.

So I knew that the men would die. Bloody, beautiful, and cinematic deaths. And so they fell, one by one. But knowing it would happen did not make it hurt any less.

As each men had their final goodbye scene, knowing that death awaited them, and as they walked straight towards it... I thought, this is Korean cinema at its best.

I mean, I love the modern romances, the comedies, the time traveling, the historical dramas. I love the crazy makjang dramas, with all the chaebols bickering. But the Japanese Occupation and the Korean War are still raw wounds in the national consciousness. There are people still alive who have lived through both (the latter years of the Occupation, not the turn-of-the-century "Mr. Sunshine" years, obviously). And every Korean alive is a descendant of a survivor. (Well, either a survivor or a traitor, I guess.) This story runs in their blood.

So there is just something about this type of story that is sure to make you turn on the waterworks. It's a particular feature of Korean cinema, a unique ability they have, to hit this next-level of emotion simply by evoking this history. It's almost like every Korean is constantly, even unknowingly, on the verge of tears, ALL THE TIME, and a reminder of this time period is enough. Like, all it really takes is a snap of the fingers and the dam breaks.

So I saw it all coming, but it doesn't hurt any less.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

13 hours ago, chickfactor said:

Well, I cried buckets. Soaked through an entire box of kleenex.

I saw it coming, and it didn't hurt any less.

Deep down.. whether we like it or not, we kinda knew but chose to ignore. Wishfully thinking for a little twist and ray of sunshine.. a glimmer of hope.. anything.

Already expecting the worst, it didn't help lessen any pain. The drama is really good conveying the reality of history (that you wrote so precisely, thank you) as well as making the characters grow that we love them so much.. so, yeah.. it hurts.. a whole lot more. :tears:

October 1, 2018

The Seoul Awards Announces Nominations For 2018

Source: Soompi  by E. Cha

The Seoul Awards has revealed its full list of nominees for 2018!

The award ceremony, which is now in its second year, honors achievements in film and television dramas. Only films and dramas that were released between October 2017 and September 2018 were eligible to be considered for this year’s awards.

In addition to the categories listed below, there will also be a special Hallyu Artist Award, as well as a Special Acting Award and several Popularity Awards.

The Seoul Awards 2018 will air live on SBS on October 27 at 6 p.m. KST.

Check out the full list of nominees below!

Best Drama
KBS 2TV’s “My Golden Life”

MBC’s “Money Flower”

SBS’s “Should We Kiss First”

tvN’s “My Ahjussi”

JTBC’s “Life”

Best Actress (Drama)
Kim Sun Ah — “Should We Kiss First”

Kim Nam Joo — “Misty”

Son Ye Jin — “Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food”

Shin Hye Sun — “My Golden Life”

Best Actor (Drama)
Kam Woo Sung — “Should We Kiss First”

Lee Byung Hun — “Mr. Sunshine”

Lee Sun Gyun — “My Ahjussi”

Cho Seung Woo — “Life”

Best Supporting Actress (Drama)
Moon So Ri — “Life”

Ye Ji Won — “Should We Kiss First,” “30 but 17”

Go Sung Hee — “Mother,” “Suits”

Go Ah Sung — “Life on Mars”

Best Supporting Actor (Drama)
Heo Joon Ho — “Come and Hug Me”

Park Ho San — “Prison Playbook,” “My Ahjussi,” “Lawless Lawyer”

Yoo Yeon Seok — “Mr. Sunshine”

Bong Tae Gyu — “Return”

Best New Actress (Drama)
Kim Tae Ri — “Mr. Sunshine”

Jo Bo Ah — “Goodbye to Goodbye”

Won Jin Ah — “Just Between Lovers”

Lee Yoo Young — “Your Honor”

Best New Actor (Drama)
Woo Do Hwan — “Tempted”

Park Hae Soo — “Prison Playbook”

Jung Hae In — “Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food,” “Prison Playbook”

Jang Ki Yong — “Come and Hug Me,” “My Ahjussi”

Best Film

Spoiler

“The Spy Gone North”

“Burning”

“Along with the Gods”

“1987”

“The Fortress”

Best Actress (Film)
Kim Hee Ae — “Her Story”

Kim Yeo Jin — “Last Child”

Son Ye Jin — “Negotiation,” “Be With You”

Park Bo Young — “On Your Wedding Day”

Best Actor (Film)
Lee Byung Hun — “The Fortress”

Lee Sung Min — “The Spy Gone North”

Ha Jung Woo — “Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds,” “Along with the Gods: The Last 49 Days”

Yoo Ah In — “Burning”

Best Supporting Actress (Film)
Ye Soo Jung — “Her Story,” “Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds”

Kim Sung Ryung — “Believer”

Jin Seo Yeon — “Believer”

Kim Tae Ri — “1987”

Best Supporting Actor (Film)
Kim Sang Ho — “The Witness”

Joo Ji Hoon — “The Spy Gone North”

Jin Sun Kyu — “The Outlaws”

Bae Sung Woo — “The Swindlers,” “The Great Battle”

Best New Actress (Film)
After School’s Nana — “The Swindlers”

Jin Ki Joo — “Little Forest”

Jeon Jong Seo — “Burning”

Kim Da Mi — “The Witch”

Best New Actor (Film)
Kim Sung Kyu — “The Outlaws”

Nam Joo Hyuk — “The Great Battle”

Kim Young Kwang — “On Your Wedding Day”

Lee Ga Seob — “The Seeds of Violence”

Source (1)

• Like 10

Hello all Sunshines!

I have been a silent lurker on this forum and I decided to sign up for an account. 

I appreciate the wonderful conversations here. I also love it when people share

beautiful fan art and those comic strips are hilarious!

I waited the entire day for the last episode's English subtitles. While waiting, I

decided to rewatch ep 23, ep 1 and 2. Rewatching the earlier episodes reminded

me of why I enjoyed this show so much. It is poetic, bittersweet, beautiful,

and simply wonderful. 

I got to see the beauty of Chosun in that time period. I witnessed a lovely "labu"

story between two people that would not happen before Joseon Dynasty. One

was from the noble family and the other as a slave.

Go Ae Shin wore beautiful hanboks. She lived in a beautiful hanok. As she

slowly walked out of her comfort zone and sheltered life, she started to see

things and learned from Eugene Choi. What Chosun was she fighting for?

She was strong and vulnerable at the same time. 

Eugene lived between two worlds. He ran away from his homeland to live.

He was always thinking about going somewhere. He wanted to belong

somewhere. But when he comes back to his homeland, he found solace and 

joy with Go AeShin. He smiled whenever he was with Go AeShin. 

I love the snippets when we hear Eugene's prayers to God. He also mentions

Joseph. And so, Eugene's death reminded me of Joseph's death. 

They held onto hope and helped people. They were Mr. Sunshines

The hope passed onto Go AeShin and Righteous Army members 

to fight for freedom. 

The second lead roles, Gu Dong Mae and Kudo Hina simply reminded us

that we are simply humans. Gu Dong Mae was ruthless yet he had a soft heart

to protect his loved ones. Kudo Hina was mysterious yet she held raw feelings.

She looked to Gu Dong Mae even she knew he loved Go Ae Shin. It was heart

wrecking, but she lived beautifully. She wore beautiful dressed. And eventually

she bought paintings and lived as Gu Dong Mae told her to do. 

As many people have expressed that this drama has made us learn a lot about

Korean history, we are also reminded of what power and control does. Betrayed

Chosun people become traitors and turn back on their own country. The Japans

used hatred to take control of the Chosun people. But there are the Chosun 

people who are willing to die for their country. Teenage Gunner Jang claimed

that he would not die like his father did. He eventually did and had a heroic, 

bittersweet death. He was brave. He was righteous. 

This was long and so I am going to end it here. I am going to rewatch this series.

If anyone wants to rewatch and analyze the episodes again, please let me know!

Thanks for reading if you got to the end! Haha (:

• Like 12

Hello @pamonologues Finally, your first post at soompi. It's never too late to share your thoughts here. Love reading what you have posted. MR.SUNSHINE is just different.. just not the same as most Kdramas. Whatever we feel about it.. before or after the finale, it's really a drama that we've grown to appreciate so much.

Please continue to post your thoughts as you re-watch the drama, I'm sure there will be fans to join in and talk about the drama. We may be feeling a bit differently (angry, wary, disheartened, upset) right now due to the ending but I think, sooner or later.. the usual feeling of love for the drama will come around.

I'll definitely be stalking this drama thread to read future comments and sharing from new fans. So.. see you.. see you all again..

watermelon_slice_by_le_noodle.gif

LBH and YYS did not attend the wrap-party last month but they finally got together for a meal with the others. Perhaps, last night?

Photo: Kim Na Woon (Lady Cho, Ae Shin's aunt)

YuJo, Kyle, Eugene, Lady Cho, SeungGu, DongMae #MrSunshine

• Like 8

Thanks @rubie

Thanks because I learned how to tag you in this post!

Thanks for reading my first post (:

I agree that Mr. Sunshine is really different from the 

other Kdramas out there! I do not know what can top it

unless it is another KES drama! 

I am just glad that this drama did not focus on Korea's

hatred towards Japan. Rather the focus was on the 

patriotism, hope, love, and the future of Korea. At the

back of my mind, I had watched Chinese dramas set in

WWII and the hatred towards Japan was strongggg.

Hatred will only lead to more hatred, but

love opens up more doors and expands boundaries.

And I am so glad that the cast got to meet up again!!

It is always to see them in Instagram posts because I

imagine that the characters outside of the drama live on!

--Edit. Side note:

Oh! I also enjoyed that some people shared the translations of

small scenes and explained why it was funny!! I need to find those

posts and thank those contributors!! (: It made me enjoy those

small scenes even more! 

I think I need to learn Korean. Does anyone have suggestions? 

Edited by pamonologues
  • Like 6

I think KES did warn us that she is a cruel woman...she is as cruel to us viewers as AS to Eugene.  We were too blind in love to see it or knew it was coming but still in denial.  Maybe in a fantasy W-like world Eugene was able to pull a 007 move and survived that horrendous final destination on the train. I can't believe I said this because for the same reason I can no longer watch Bond (how many times can he escape deathsss plurals???) but I was really rooting for Eugene to live, poor guy never had a break since AS entered his life. I get it that this is war and sacrifice is inevitable and I am totally okay with character's death as long as it's meaningful.  However, many deaths in the last 2 episodes are just too forced and unnecessary, mainly to drain out tears from the viewers.  Overall it was a very good drama and I thoroughly enjoyed the discussion in this forum. Hope to see you all again in a more sunshiny project.

• Like 5
  • Sad 3

Hello Sunshiners,

The last few episodes had sent us on an emotional roller coaster ride. :tears: However, I just want to mention that writer KES did a great job by including the scene where the Righteous Army was photographed and documented in history by Canadian journalist - Frederick Arthur McKenzie. 

iitcP0g.jpg

This photo was taken in 1907 and published in FA McKenzie's book "Tragedy in Korea".

ExzlVmN.jpg

Capture from Episode 24

Seeing the real photo makes this even more moving and surreal. Salute to the brave Right Army soldiers for fighting until the end. :heart:

Nonetheless, Mr. Sunshine is one of the best movie-like drama and has left an everlasting impression thanks to the writer, director, cast, and production team! :thumbsup:

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, seabysea18 said:

A few questions, hope you can enlighten me (sorry my mind went blank many times in this episode):

1- What was the scene of them eating fish and casually chatting in the end? I didn't get what it was for, like a whiplash to me. And I am just too traumatized to go back and rewatch it...

2- Why did DM die? I get that he was killed by the ronins but what was that for? He could have died when his master slashed him in Japan.  So KES revived him so that he can have the last words with the two ladies in his life, that's it? I don't get his death that's what I am trying to say. 

Not sure what KES is thinking but I'll try:

(1) Fish-eating:  Rather typical of k-dramas, especially of sad ending -- perhaps to soften the impact after a hard blow they deliver into our guts? They did that in Moonlovers Scarlet Heart ... Hae Soo & Wang So are split apart by centuries (literally-speaking), so the last scene was a flash-back of King WS having fun piggy-backing Lady HS -- which left us scratching our heads going "What Gives??!! "  :blink: 

Look at it this way:  I had to put my cat to sleep -- her death is devastating but I will always remember our great times together. EC caught fish for AS to eat ~ oh so romantic; my cat caught dead mouse for me ~ and freaked me out ... TWICE!  Still I miss her and it had been fun.

(2) DM's Death:  He is already in bad shape, probably never recovered from that injury, only used opium to suppress pain -- death is inevitable, just a question of how. I prefer to believe that the writer chose to take him out in a more glorious way -- DM has some good in him. That said, DM had been ruthless -- killing indiscriminately at times. It cannot go unpunished, so his body is dragged, which is humiliating. Why not fight for Chosun and die honorably? -- that is not the DM we know. 

Death ... if you are a good guy, hopefully you die with dignity or honor (go down fighting) and bestowed a nice burial; if you are an A-hole, then you die lamely (Mori, LWI) or your body is treated disrespectfully. 

In retrospect...

* We are optimistic people, we continue to believe there is hope despite all the hints:  

~  Sad Ending -- the phrase that keep appearing 

~  HN admonishes AS that because she chose to pick up the gun, she has caused harm to 3 men 

~  HS carries the burden of his ancestor's cruelty. Chinese believe that among the 3 great sins, the worst is to have no descendants (Chinese thinking has a lot of influence on the Koreans and Japanese) -- HS's death is punishment of their evil deeds

~  EC's repeatedly stated to God that he is willing to exchange his life for AS -- hence EC has willed his LOVE for AS to LIVE 

* I remember a comment about Star Wars Rogue One:  We knew they (the Rebels) would die, but we didn't think they would ALL die !! I guess it's the same with Mr Sunshine ~ AS (a parallel to Princess Leia perhaps) is someone of the future generation and has to be alive to lead. 

What more can we ask for EC? 

A son of Chosun by birth, a naturalized American by choice, an ex-soldier who died bravely and honorably, remembered by many fondly, buried in the foreigners' plot but in Chosun soil.

Sad ending it may be, but I grudgingly admit, it did close out appropriately. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

I woke up this morning and I came here to read the comments. Well, the fact is that I am not recovering from this drama’s finale. I wonder when I will feel better. It happened to me for just another show, and the feeling lasted long time. I am angry because the writer got me, and the actors as well: with the story and the acting they made me fall in love for the main characters,  mostly with Eugene. And then killed them all, except the one I liked the less... uhm... good job...

@aurelionsol I agree with what you said. Why they took that train? It is a huge plot mistake: it is not believable that the most wanted RA fighter, whose face was on every wall, could take a train, even disguised like that (in western clothes she would attract more attention, imho). It was suicidal even if they were not ambushed as the Japanese knew they were to take it. There could be other ways to get secretely that place. And they left Eugene out. She was leaving him behind, as she didn't tell him anything. But why? Eugene as a former soldier could be a great strategist, and in fact he was. I thought he was welcomed in the RA and instead he was kept out of the decisions. It does not make sense at all. Then, he tracks her, finds out that the Japanese are setting an ambush and dies. May I swear?

@kansas424  yes,  that stupid scene worked only because of the outstanding acting skills of the actors, mainly because of Lee Byung Hun.  An actor who I saw for the first time here in this drama, but now I am a fan of him forever. I hope this sad drama, being watched by a wide international audience, will lead to get to him better parts in western movie, that will suit his skills, much more than the mere GI Joe blockbuster movies he did till now.

• Like 7

You know.. when you can't stop crying even if you tried.. your chest hurts instead. Only seen the train snippets last night but now, after seeing the whole episode makes the tears come out harder. Never thought it would be this bad. There's no hysterics or over-dramatic acting but the most heartfelt and selfless sacrificing act of love that really made the scene so powerful.

I still hoped that Eugene would live but earlier on, he saw how Joseon (the people) stood together creating a barricade to protect Ae Shin on the road from the Japanese soldiers, it dawned to him that Joseon needs her more. Not just him. EC realized that he's there to make sure she lives. It's a desperate situation on the train.. really a death trap to be exact. He had to quickly decide a plan to safeguard AS, just like in Japan in front of the American Legation. This time, he has no back-up..  one bullet and his life.

• Like 4
  • Sad 5

Now im crying again reading your comments while listening to OST no. 15, it is so heartbreaking.. Sorry just cant help it :bawling:

• Like 2
  • Sad 2