Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

I remember back in my college days with my siblings one of my sister would go in the streets to rally and my mom would be so worried because they are abducting and torturing students and label them as one of the rebellious group in the mountains...Watching Ae Sin holding a gun, my sister's words back then keep ringing in my ears, "You don't understand what revolution means..." I think it's the exact same scenario in the case of Eugene...In one of Ae Sin's conversation with Hina after her hair was cut she placed her country first in the Hierarchy when she was telling the important things in her life thus the motto, "Country first before anything else..." justified and explains it well.

I have to give the writer and director a big round of applause...the drama not only conveyed the story telling in the dialogues but it was also translated visually...I place this drama personally as a contender with NiF franchise...

The heroes and heroines in this drama are often talking about sad ending BUT I am betting my two cents that there is always sunshine after the rain.

Historically South Korea and USA are very close allies...they even called it, "The relationship forged in blood..."  I think this line says it all for the upcoming and final episodes...

• Like 13

6 hours ago, KDramaLogic said:

But did AS really have to impose EC with the possibility of using him for her cause in fighting for Joseon independence assuming that EC would simply follow through without question and NOT inquiring about EC's compromised position as both a U.S. soldier and a Joseon person in the midst of the Japanese annexation of Korea, especially once/if the U.S. decides to step back from all this Korea/Japan conflict and leave Korea?  Mind you, I would NOT have to emphasize this matter if AS did ask EC about his thoughts regarding overall stance in Joseon, and that EC, after considerable deliberation, declares that none of his safety/immunity as a U.S. soldier/citizen matters to him more than being with and supporting AS in her fight for her safety, future, happiness, and fight for Joseon independence.

It would have been very disappointing if AS had such a discussion with Eugene. AS and Eugene have reached a level of intimacy where this kind of discussion is not necessary. Did he not say to her that he will follow her? What would be the purpose of a discussion about Eugene's feelings for Joseon? Half of the show was already focused on this aspect, and I think it was made clear that he reached kind of a peace with Joseon: he is reluctantly helping them. and he agrees to get more and more involved if it is about the safety of AS and the potter. and this was even before the things turned so wrong as in the last episodes.

Yesterday many people accused Lord Go of being cruel because he showed the right path to Eugene: kill the Japanese colonel. The old man entrusted him with a dangerous mission: for a father that lost two sons in the fight for freedom, what he begs Eugene to do was not cruel. Is a doctor who cause you suffering, while trying to make you healthy cruel? 

Now you are thinking that it is not only cruel but also futile. Futile how? The colonel is a danger for so many, he is unnecessarily cruel...and that's when the term 'cruel' is used correctly. Why is it futile to get rid of a war criminal?

As @ces8 rightly remarked it is difficult to understand what it means to be in a revolution. In my view, in the last episodes, Eugene got further and further away from AS. If he does not get more involved, his chances of ending up with AS will become smaller and smaller. He will become a futile character because the real fight has started and he is not in the middle of it.

So instead of being unhappy about the fact he has dangerous things to do, we should be happy when he gets something to do.

People who want a strong female character should also rejoice. It is good that AS did not lose track of her priorities.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ces8 said:

I remember back in my college days with my siblings one of my sister would go in the streets to rally and my mom would be so worried because they are abducting and torturing students and label them as one of the rebellious group in the mountains...Watching Ae Sin holding a gun, my sister's words back then keep ringing in my ears, "You don't understand what revolution means..." I think it's the exact same scenario in the case of Eugene...In one of Ae Sin's conversation with Hina after her hair was cut she placed her country first in the Hierarchy when she was telling the important things in her life thus the motto, "Country first before anything else..." justified and explains it well.

I have to give the writer and director a big round of applause...the drama not only conveyed the story telling in the dialogues but it was also translated visually...I place this drama personally as a contender with NiF franchise...

The heroes and heroines in this drama are often talking about sad ending BUT I am betting my two cents that there is always sunshine after the rain.

Historically South Korea and USA are very close allies...they even called it, "The relationship forged in blood..."  I think this line says it all for the upcoming and final episodes...

Aeshin cant lie and hurt Eugene all the time. I think she will go with him to fulfill her promise after what will happen in Japan (he'll probably save her again :/).

She has to pay off the debt and spend the rest of her life with him. If she does not understand it, she is an emotional vampire. She has heard several times that the country is falling down and cant do anything. Taking away a bank certificate from the country should be enough.

If it does not happen, writers could destroy her character. There is a border/limit between when you fight for the homeland (sacrifice) and the promise you make to the person you love (especially when you use this person, this love destroys him, I'm starting to wonder if she loves him the same way)

• Like 8

Rating for episode 20.B):lol:

Nationwide     Seoul

20 16.500 18.178
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 4

39 minutes ago, aurelionsol said:

Aeshin cant lie and hurt Eugene all the time. I think she will go with him to fulfill her promise after what will happen in Japan (he'll probably save her again :/).

She has to pay off the debt and spend the rest of her life with him. If she does not understand it, she is an emotional vampire.

If it does not happen, writers could destroy her character. There is a border between when you fight for the homeland (sacrifice) and the promise you make to the person you love (especially when you use this person, this love destroys him, I'm starting to wonder if she loves him the same way)

There is no denying that Ae Sin loves Eugene but this are trying times and war is brewing...It may look that way, that Ae Sin was going to use Eugene to pull the impossible mission but (from what I understood...personal Interpretation so I may be wrong) the day when Eugene's life was spared and accepted to be an instructor in the military academy...Ae Sin and Eugene are already comrades (secret ally)...the scene with Go Sang Hong and GDM is also a testament when the grandfather explains why Eugene has to be the one to kill Mori. Furthermore the scene in the bridge when Eugene told Mori that he just made up his mind and will kill him. So I think Ae Sin went to Eugene as a comrade seeking for aid...well Eugene's response is of personal and as a lover...I cannot blame him...their love story is really complicated blossomed in a world of chaos but I remember that Ae Sin mentioned that if love is just limited to one then no different love stories can be ever told. (something along those lines)

• Like 7

I'm watching E19 :D

Series high. Congrats Mr. Sunshine.

AGB Nielsen Ratings:

Episode 1   7/7/18       8.852%

Episode 2   7/8/18       9.691%

Episode 3   7/14/18    10.082%

Episode 4   7/15/18    10.567%

Episode 5   7/21/18    10.835%

Episode 6   7/22/18     11.713%

Episode 7  7/28/18      11.114%

Episode 8  7/29/18      12.330%

Episode 9  8/3/18        11.695%

Episode 10  8/4/18      13.534%

Episode 11  8/11/18    12.792%

Episode 12  8/12/18    13.399%

Episode 13  8/18/18    13.327%

Episode 14  8/19/18    15.626%

Episode 15  8/25/18     12.893%

Episode 16  8/26/18   15.023%

Episode 17  9/1/18        7.694%

Episode 18  9/2/18     14.722%

Episode 19  9/8/18      14.114%

Episode 20  9/9/18      16.500%

Source

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I would be grateful if someone here can get  an HD screenshot of Kudo Hina's cream colored dress from E20 and post it here. The one which was wearing when she came across Wan Ik's body being carried in the cart and then has that subsequent conversation with LJM about her mother. My God! she looked gorgeous in that dress - the best one out of all those fabulous ones she has worn so far.

@tzupi

People who want a strong female character should also rejoice. It is good that AS did not lose track of her priorities.

THIS^^^. Yes, there is a sense of immense sadness and heartbreak but then again it is quite great to see the writer being consistent with AS' character. I don't deny that I am  among those fans having their own futile/wishful hopes for AS to have a happy future with Eugene but I also cannot overlook the amazing character integrity of Ae Shin when it comes to her principles - words spoken by characters are not meaningless and empty - her desire to be a flame is not simply empty talk but is accompanied by action.

• Like 10

Eugene has decided to take another step into the firework. Man has determined to keep her mistress alive irregardless whether he was being used or not. 

A new MV of EuShin, brilliant piece!!

• Like 10

1 hour ago, mistergenie said:

I would be grateful if someone here can get  an HD screenshot of Kudo Hina's cream colored dress from E20 and post it here. The one which was wearing when she came across Wan Ik's body being carried in the cart and then has that subsequent conversation with LJM about her mother. My God! she looked gorgeous in that dress - the best one out of all those fabulous ones she has worn so far.

Screenshot 2018-09-09 18.15.26Screenshot 2018-09-09 18.15.50

Netflix

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

33 minutes ago, mistergenie said:

@kansas424 Thank you for the link. That is a brilliant edit incorporating the latest scenes.

you're welcome. This fanmade mv joint all the previous EuShin scenes and it gives off so much feel about their earlier encounters....how fate has been tying them up together and their latest hurdles.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, philosophie said:

Have we had a kiss scene yet? Will we have one??

Given how she tried to terminate her romance with EC, AS has decided to go Joan of Arc on us, minus the voices. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

How does Ae Shin plan on traveling abroad using Eugene's help? By getting married to him? Or at least a fake marriage with rings and all so as to fool people?

• Like 4

I apologize  in advance for pissing on your guys' parade. :D

I lost interest in this drama somewhere in the middle. I don't really get why Eugene and Aesin got attracted romantically , I don't get why they wanted to seperate in the middle and I don't get why they want to get together in carpe diem style after. I don't get the tsundere Dong Mae ( why did they make a big deal about haircut because it has no important consequenses what so ever at the end ).  

I thought Dong Mae and Eugene were going to be very interesting characters at the first episodes because of their origins and were torn between nationalities/ identites (remember the ending of episode 3 and 5 ! What a great promise.)  but no, to my disappointment one become a tsundere Aesinfanboy and other become a full Joseon  Aesin fanboy. ( I did'nt see Eugene do a single stuff for US ). Only Hee Sung and also (to some point) Hina lived up to my expectations.

Speaking about disappointment, it broke my heart to say this but I was disappointed by Kim Tae Ri's performance.

The Handmaiden's my favourite movie and I started watching because of her. Even though I have a great pleasant chance to see her twice a week through a TV screen, I thought she was not very good in it. Her range of acting and palette of emotions are quite limited. I think she as a super sniper/fighter/ flying resistance was not credible at all even in the norms of kdrama. For example, I believe Kim Go Eun as a 20 year old high school girl (who , even though irritating many times as a damsel in distress, showed a wide range of acting/emotional palette and moved me many times ) more than KTR as a super fighter/sniper. I picked Goblin because that's another KES drama with another rising actress as female lead even though these 2 drama have 2 completely different universe so not very comparable. Yeah i see they make an independent, modern, strong woman (like in secret garden) fighter and these are very good intentions but the final result appears to me like a hard headed annoying Mary Sue. 

Maybe she just started acting recently so her shoulders are not big enough to carry a big role (even though she was extraordinary in Handmaiden and very good in Little forest, Moon Young) or in acting she was not directed as good as in Handmaiden (Park Chan Wook's not a mere somebody)  I still think she'll be a A list actress star one day. 

I thoght Goblin has, even though it's a wondeeful drama very long episodes filled with boring and unnecessay filler moments and thought It would be an exceptionel drama if the episodes are 20 minutes shorter with 2-3 less episodes. And boy, was I unpleasantly surprised to find that in this drama, it's goblin times 2 (more filler, more episodes). I  still watch  the drama because of an exceptionel production value ( 40 million bucks !! ) and superb mise en scene (Lee Eun Bok what a genius even though I think he abused the "characters starring each other with watery eyes for a very long moment with an OST behind" a little too much) and beause of Wan Ik,a very twisted and interesting character ( but not fully exploited in my opinon after  how he ended at the end) we love to hate.  I swear I was about to drop this drama and boom !  Takashi Mori arrives ! What an entry ! Talking about an agent of choas ! That's exactly what's missing in this drama; a great mean vilian, even more menacing presence that Wan ik (for example, if Wan Ik was Loki, Mori would be Thanos). Without him, I would have dropped this drama with their uncomprehensible on/off between the main couple. Hope they don't kill him off too soon.

I think the japanese portrayal, unfortunately like 99% of kdrama/movies, very caricatural. Everyone is mean, blood thirsty beast and not nuanced. I thought it would be more like in melville's army of shadows or Rogue one and it's more telenovela/ soap opera than Melville. A very high budgeted soap opera. I thought I'll something like James Clavell's Shogun or etc. but I guess I was wrong. I forgot I was watching a kdrama. Guess I overestimated KES. (I fogot she made Heirs and DOTS). I think she the JJ Abrams of Drama. Always high concept ideas, great popular success commercially and critic backlash some period after the good intial reception.

All that just to say that I was sad because I expected alot in this drama and I was disappointed. Sorry !

T

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mistergenie said:

THIS^^^. Yes, there is a sense of immense sadness and heartbreak but then again it is quite great to see the writer being consistent with AS' character. I don't deny that I am  among those fans having their own futile/wishful hopes for AS to have a happy future with Eugene but I also cannot overlook the amazing character integrity of Ae Shin when it comes to her principles - words spoken by characters are not meaningless and empty - her desire to be a flame is not simply empty talk but is accompanied by action.

I'm also a fan who wants the two together. I also prefer things to get there in a natural way, not only because of fan-service.

The actions of the characters make sense for now and I'm very happy with that. It would not make sense for AS to throw away her training as a sniper just to be together with a man.  And it does not make sense for EC to happily accept to do Lord Go's bidding or to help AS's in her dangerous fight: he did not sign for this when he accepted to come to Joseon. As a soldier and strategist, he sees the fight as pointless, probably he is kind of opposed to this civilian rebellion--it is not as well organized and ordered as an army. As a lover, he worries because she takes up more and more dangerous missions--taking her away will be the best for him, but not for her.

It is interesting that in the last episodes we mostly hear his own thoughts, but it is not clear that we should be so depressed about his remarks. He was and still is a reluctant hero, so it is normal for him to be pessimistic about what's happening. 

Because of this, I do not worry yet. Now the issue seems to me to be who will manage to change the other's point of view. Or maybe they will reach a compromise: one seems to be too much emotion, and the other one too much intellect. By not entrusting the protection of AS to Eugene, Lord Go made it clear that they need to find a way to live with their choices. 

There is also another aspect: even if this drama has a sad ending (which I do not think it will have), as long as it remains well written, we can always recommend it to other people and the discussion about it will continue.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, ces8 said:

This part of Joseon history is underlined with feelings of disappointment and betrayal from the Taft-Katsura Agreement in which US agreed not to interfere with Japan’s handling of the Korean Empire.  I don’t think the writer can turn on the sunshine this easily despite that we are in dramaland.  Doing it may not be respectful to the memories and invite criticisms. :(

Episode 20 ends with minister Hayashi forcing a Korean cabinet member to sign the Japan-Korean treaty of 1905 giving Japan complete control of Korea’s foreign affairs and placed the ports under its control.  In RL, five ministers signed with KIng Gojong dissented. The King will send three secret emissaries to the Hague Peace convention to protest.  In this drama, they could be palace guards in training Joon Young and his friends.

I don’t feel good about the trajectory of Ae Shin/Eugene’s relationship but I will hold back my thoughts for now.  Ae Shin’s is driven by a bigger agenda at this point.  We are at the verge of war; personal feelings, love are all casualties.  Eugene’s a realist and a strategist so he understands why it’s important to stay alive to fight another day.  It’s painful for me to see Ae Shin sacrificed her feelings for the country, no less tragic than the unspoken love between Sanggu and Hong-Pa.  

• Like 9