[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

9 hours ago, rocher22 said:

The scenes between Dong Mae and EC, and their conversations 

are always very calming.

They went through those reports calmly, and they found what 

they were looking for.

I liked that little smile on ECs face when DM came to meet him

infront of the post office.

I love how their grudging friendship has developed. I know it's an unpopular opinion here, but Dong-Mae's probably my favorite character. He's written with some complexity and realism. Actually, all three of Ae-Shin's men are really interesting to me: Hui-Seung, which has already chosen between his family's past and his own future, Eugene, who will soon have to decide between his two homelands; and Dong-Mae, who chose to be Japanese in the past, but seems to have chosen to be Korean again when he "came home", and now has to make another choice about his identity. They've all run way, ad they've all come back, and they've all had to struggle with their identities. Hui-Seung represents the change in the established old order, and Dong-Mae and Eugene represent the rising up of the lower classes in different ways. They're more interesting to me than Ae-Shin, who has always seemed just a smidge too perfect.

• Like 4

Next week's episode preview

(On street of Japan, at night) Eugene shoots a handgun, holding hands with Aeshin, they seem be running away from close chasers.

Eugene: how far are you planning to go, using me?

(In train) Aeshin looking away sadly.

(On street of Japan, at night, during festival) Takashi is holding a baby with some young woman, looking at festival with smile.

Next scene shows that Eugene with black guise, under mask. seems to be on roof.

Next scene shows Aeshin in a room in black disguise, saying

Aeshin: I said If I see you ever again, I will kill you.

We can see Dongmae at gun-point.

(On backstreet, at night, still in Japan) Aeshin sees someone with umbrella coming to her. The man  has his shirt sleeves folded up. Aeshin seems to carry a rifle.

Not sure next scene is connected, but Aeshin seems surprised.

(fighting scene in the bar) Group of men are attacking someone. Not sure who is being attacked but, I think that hairline is Eugene??? Aeshin is hiding behind someone/something in black.

Takashi talking to Eugene: A young woman who was a noble may get hurt, again.

Eugene looking, angry.

(Dongmae and Hina walk on the beach)

Dongmae: Villains are supposed to die early.

(scene changed, inside the Dongmae's room. Dongmae shouting, with tears, trying to cut Hotaru? Hotaru's hurt in the face, showing something to Dongmae)

(short scene with Aeshin takes aim at someone)

Dongmae: So that good people will live longer.

(scene changed to show Dongmae's boss in the big room. LJM sit in front, seems that LJM is trying to kill himself by biting his tongue, gangs trying to prevent that.)

(scene changed to show gangs spilling out from the building with swords out)

(Huisung looking at something gravely)

(Hina thinking something)

Huisung: While being sad, (?) cheered for my life.

(Japanese military are attacking from all sides, Korean military school students and killing them, some students trying to escape, and our 3 younglings trying to get to weapon storage)

Eugene: Courage leads the history. so become a lion.

Next scene shows that Eugene in black disguise, with rifle, walking in backstreet of Japan.

(In train compartment, Eugene and Aeshin holding hand. Seems that Aeshin is doing something to Eugene's left hand. maybe....a ring?)

Aeshin(with a single tear running): When Joseon is at peace, I'll come.

Eugene looking at her(?) with sad/determined face.

Aeshin in navy coat, red hat, running on street.

* Edited to add, I was assuming any japanese looking street is in japan, but on 2nd thought, it could be Japanese town in Joseon. Esp. with Takashi. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 8

On 9/10/2018 at 7:12 PM, USAFarmgirl said:

KES proves why she is one of the greatest drama writers of our time...

Although she has endured unkind words both written and said by others because of Mr Sunshine.  Still her story and even this latest view shows the pictures and characters that were in her mind and in her heart as well.  I admire that she always stays true to herself and her work....

She continues to show so many examples although a piece of fiction.  Still there is no denying the flow of emotions and feelings that she wanted us to understand and feel or the struggles and pain that she captured so well that makes one feel as if it is real...

I haven't even finished this episode because this one view honestly hurt my heart.

How does one describe or show a conflict & war or the suffering & pain that it brings.

How does one make it understandable & relatable to all those who will see.

Maybe by simply showing it through a mans love for his wife. 

A strong and courageous man who is seen broken, crying and singing softly and tenderly to a wife who can no longer hear him or see his face.

With tears flowing and his strong arms wrapped around her and still I am stuck in the view of her hanging with that lingering sound of him saying...

Let her down...  She's my wife...

Many times, AeShin was quoted saying " i dont regret every decision that i had made" 

I feel like KES is using AS to reaffirm her stance in every decision she has made in the production and casting of Mr Sunshine.

Edited by Berou
please do not quote images, thank you :) !
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@mistymorning  Thanks for the detailed description of the promo.

Next scene shows Aeshin in a room in black disguise, Dong Mae at gunpoint

(short scene with Aeshin takes aim at someone)

Could Dong MAe also be in Japan and AS runs into him there during the course of her mission - the rifle pointed at Dong Mae and the one AS is pointing on the roof have the same colored cloth wrapped around them. Also, AS dark clothes look awfully same in both the scenes.

Group of men are attacking someone. Not sure who is being attacked but, I think that hairline is Eugene??? Aeshin is hiding behind someone/something in black.

Ah! I thought they were attacking Ae Shin only. I could see AE Shin hiding behind someone in black but I could not, for the life of me, see or understand who it was.

(scene changed to show gangs spilling out from the building with swords out)

Could very well be immediately after Ae Shin snipes someone. Maybe the yakuza boss who kidnapped LJM? That building could be a geisha place - there's a very quick glimpse of some women behind the men spilling out of the building.

Eugene shoots a handgun, holding hands with Aeshin, they seem be running away from close chasers.

She is wearing the same clothes in both of the above scenes. I wonder why she is alone in the latter one. She also seems to have a small bag in her hand. Where is Eugene at this point?

Welp!! Seems like going to America is never going to happen for Ae Shin. After E20, I have braced myself fully for that.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, mistymorning said:

Next week's episode preview

(In train compartment, Eugene and Aeshin holding hand. Seems that Aeshin is doing something to Eugene's left hand. maybe....a ring?)

Eugene looking at her(?) with sad/determined face.

Aeshin's only opportunity to go to Japan is marriage.

Yes, they will get married (rings) for Aeshin's security. Probably after talking in a room in last episode, he'll go out and buy two rings, and it will annoy Mori when he sees her in the hotel "a woman who once was an noble will get hurt again". Mori cant touch her since she is the wife of an American citizen/soldier. 

Aeshin running but it is train station in Japan? 

Eugene probably killed Takashi Mori in Japan and all foreigners in the area are at risk as potential assasins (especially Aeshin as a Korean woman). She will probably be stopped by few Japanese soldiers but Eugene will appear in American uniform and take his wife to the train - protection.

Edit:

She running because she is chased by Musin Society members (i saw again preview)

Eugene appear anyway because she is his wife (he is a loyal knight)

my try to predict this few scenes in next episodes :)

• Like 5

11 hours ago, rubie said:

Source: Mr. Sunshine Netflix

Your Honour, we #Sunshiners would like to file a complaint against last week’s #MrSunshine for messing with our feels. Here is the proof.

Are we filing a class action suit? If yes, please add my name! Also I need the show's mailing address so I send my tissues receipt and pharmacy bill. This show is my treat after a long week of work (I so look forward to it!), but it's turned my stomach upside down for the past two weekends...

• Like 2
  • LOL 6

Hello All, I've been a silent lurker here but truly enjoy reading everyone's responses/discussions and news articles about Mr. Sunshine! :thumbsup:

There are 4 more episodes left and things are just getting intense. MS fighting!! :glasses:

22 hours ago, burningpotato said:

Did anyone else notice that the paper Kyle handed Eugene said "State of Washington" on it? What? Why? What would Washington state have to do with a Marine officer's transfer orders? Oh, did they confuse the state of Washington with Washington, D.C.? Loads of weird little (and big) inaccuracies regarding the US in this thing, but that one... I mean... why?

I just want to add to @burningpotato's question.

qXrFBxv.jpg

The order not only shows State of Washington, but they also listed the wrong president. FDR didn't serve as President until 1933 (he was the Governor of New York in 1904), and Theodore R. was still in office as President in 1904. I don't know why the facts are changed, but it's been fun pointing them out...hehe.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

3 hours ago, SeReNiTy said:

Hello All, I've been a silent lurker here but truly enjoy reading everyone's responses/discussions and news articles about Mr. Sunshine! :thumbsup:

There are 4 more episodes left and things are just getting intense. MS fighting!! :glasses:

I just want to add to @burningpotato's question.

The order not only shows State of Washington, but they also listed the wrong president. FDR didn't serve as President until 1933 (he was the Governor of New York in 1904), and Theodore R. was still in office as President in 1904. I don't know why the facts are changed, but it's been fun pointing them out...hehe.

I didn't even notice that! (I never got past "State of Washington".) Yes, a Roosevelt was president then, but it was the other Roosevelt!

While we're at it, did anyone think, while watching the first episode and seeing Eugene arriving in the US, "Wow, San Francisco looks a lot like NYC", and then realize he was actually supposed to be arriving in NYC? I assumed the port of entry would be San Francisco, since that was the major west coast US city then, but then I realized they were arriving in New York, and I figured they must have gone aaaallllll the way around the southern tip of South America, you know, since the Panama Canal didn't exist yet? No big deal, until Eugene said that it took him a month to get to America on that ship. Would going from Seoul to New York City by ship in just one month even have been possible?????

Oh, and then he's shown at the Naval Academy, for some reason, and then in D.C., talking to President (Theodore) Roosevelt. Okay, Annapolis and D.C. aren't too far apart. But then he's suddenly back in NYC, like, later that day, or something? How? How did that happen? 

Who on the production team was supposed to be in charge of looking at maps??????

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • Like 3

(On backstreet, at night, still in Japan) Aeshin sees someone with umbrella coming to her. The man  has his shirt sleeves folded up. Aeshin seems to carry a rifle.

Not sure next scene is connected, but Aeshin seems surprised.

The man with an umbrella is probably Eugene.  Aeshin dressed in a suit and took a gun to start a planned mission in Japan. Eugene probably guessed that she have some hidden mission and I wonder what the outcome of this conversation will be. He will let her go and she promises to come back to him? It seems that they are now married because it is her only way to get to Japan and she has some duties towards her husband - she will try stay alive and back to him? He take her to Japan so this should be mutual trust, love and fulfillment of promises, acceptance  points of view as true couple.

(Japanese military are attacking from all sides, Korean military school students and killing them, some students trying to escape, and our 3 younglings trying to get to weapon storage)

Eugene: Courage leads the history. so become a lion.

Thoughts - it is not easy to predict this scene

First version?

It seems that we have timeskip. Uniforms of Japanese soldiers have changed. Eugene could only take a vacation and after all actions in Japan, force his wife to get on the ship and send her to US. Kyle could already be sent to Japan and help him with the ticket. Someone will take care of her in a foreign country (telegram) - he wants to ensure her safety. He can punish her for leaving him for half year and hiding some things from him why she wanted go to Japan (he can also be a bit cruel and have some right in this matter). He will return to US after a few months? I'm curious about her reaction if it happens. He stayed alone in her homeland and did as much as he could and had to return (deployment). He did more for her than he had to do so she should forgive and thank him. This time she should accept his attitude and show her understanding as a wife. She lack this at the moment in room (disappearance for 8 months and hidden mission in Japan).

Second version

It seems that we have timeskip. Probably the most likely version because the uniforms of Japanese soldiers have changed and this may be many months after they left the country. Eugene and Aeshin may already be in the US. Words he said remained in their memory "Courage makes history - be a lion" (a man whom they respected and was an example for them)

Japanese soldiers have taken over the barracks and want to arrest the cadets. Some of them escape and some will die. 

previevs must be watched several times to see something or try to understand... so writers will use second version or something similar?

the first version also pleases me (this could fix a little plot about EC-AS relationship)

• Like 3

Anyone can help?
What is the title of the song played towards the end of Ep 20?
It is such a perfect song reflecting Eugene's thoughts when Ae-Shin appears in front of him..

Oh yes... i am repeating as in replaying Eugene's thoughts... his voice is so husky yet touches the soul... what a voice indeed... :love:

• Like 4

Damn it, i tried so hard not to cry in the last 2 episodes. I felt everybodys pain.. Especially. Hina, she's putting a cool face outside but deep down inside she is crying.. I hope nothing bad will happen to her. She deserves a Man that will love her. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jojoanna said:

Anyone can help?
What is the title of the song played towards the end of Ep 20?
It is such a perfect song reflecting Eugene's thoughts when Ae-Shin appears in front of him..

Oh yes... i am repeating as in replaying Eugene's thoughts... his voice is so husky yet touches the soul... what a voice indeed... :love:

This is the OST Part 12 played at the end of episode 20. Eugene and Ae Shin longing theme song.

• Like 8

On 8/26/2018 at 8:37 PM, rubie said:

Wow.. Shin Seung Hoon singing the OST for MR.SUNSHINE, that's another awesome news for the drama. Thanks @cynkdf for the wonderful highlight. Please drop by again and keep on sharing the soundtrack news & more with us here, ok.

Hi @rubie thanks for your kind invitation and sorry to cut your post. HCY just sang a little of his OST an hour or so ago during his vlive session  (am I allowed to post an instagram link?)

We fans of HCY are getting a little worried. Twice his OST was played during scenes involving the death of a beautiful person, we hope that when  or if it's played again, it won't involve yet another death.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, cynkdf said:

Hi @rubie thanks for your kind invitation and sorry to cut your post. HCY just sang a little of his OST an hour or so ago during his vlive session  (am I allowed to post an instagram link?)

I looked him up, since I wasn't familiar with the actor or his work, and wow, is he versatile!

• Like 2

@tzupi, I still think Lord Go's request was cruel, but I agree that trying to kill head of Japanese military is not a futile thing. To Joseon people and to those who supports them. But can Lord Go ask other people to give their sacrifices, in Eugene's case using the love of Eugene? I don't really think so. and he didn't think so when he asked for signatures for scholar's protests. Somehow, when only and the best option was Eugene who's not really Joseon person in Lord Go's eyes, it was ok. Even though it was desperate request before his death, It doesn't feel right to me. In the end, Eugene decided to do it after Hongpa's death...

And while I know main hero will be entangled in main events in the story, I'm emotionally invested in main characters' struggles to feel for them. To me, drama wouldn't be fun if it fails to move my feelings. :)

Going back to preview, I assumed any Japanese style street is in Japan, but now that I think about it, it could be Japan town in Joseon. Esp. with Takashi, why would he be in Japan. Also, seems that the store shown in the first scene(where Eugene and Aeshin's running together) seems to be tailor's shop. So the fighting scene where Aeshin is hiding could be tailor's shop?

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, mistymorning said:

Going back to preview, I assumed any Japanese style street is in Japan, but now that I think about it, it could be Japan town in Joseon. Esp. with Takashi, why would he be in Japan. Also, seems that the store shown in the first scene(where Eugene and Aeshin's running together) seems to be tailor's shop. So the fighting scene where Aeshin is hiding could be tailor's shop?

I had the same doubt about Takashi- he had just been promoted as Commnader of the garrison in Joseon. Would make more sense for his family to be with him in Joseon than him going back to Japan. Or maybe the scene is showcasing an increased practice of Japanese culture/celebration of festivals in Joseon itself due to the influx of so many Japanese soldiers and businessmen etc etc.

but now that I think about it, it could be Japan town in Joseon. - can't discount this possibility.

Tailor's shop, you say? Hmmm. Interesting.

• Like 6

On 9/11/2018 at 10:47 PM, charray said:

This is the OST Part 12 played at the end of episode 20. Eugene and Ae Shin longing theme song.

Thank you so much... Am listening to it now... Such beautiful voice and the music has a tempo that fits the lovebird scene :love:

Thanks Jillia for removing the video. Also noted your reminder. May I know how to remove the video when I want to quote the words only that has video / image to it? Thanks. [ add on msg after reading Jillia note - Sep 13 ]

• Like 4