[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

Am watching Ep 19 now and at the scene where Lee Wan-Ik brings workmen to destroy Go Sa-Hong residence.  That smirk on Lee Wan-Ik face makes me want to hang him by one leg high up in the open air where the current tram is going or better still at the gateway of Goo Dong-Mae place.  

Isn't Lee Wan-Ik himself a low-born man?  If he is, then he is in no position to act like he is noble man.

Ouch...i really need to rewatch this whole drama once it ends so can see the link more clearly. With breath in between catching only 2 eps each week and in between this drama am catching other series...am admit I am sitting on edge now.

Back to Eugene Choi and Ae-Shin. Oh I really like Mr Haengrang and Ms Haman-daek...both of them really protect Ae-Shin and I feel they are also protecting Eugene Choi in some ways. Both Haengrang and Haman-daek are like bridge between Eugene and Ae-Shin :love:

• Like 8

12 hours ago, philosophie said:

Have we had a kiss scene yet? Will we have one??

IMO , the production team is trying to set records, i mean they recorded big ratings for the 1st episode, biggest production cost, enormous cast and crew, especialy the extra (1000),best cinematography, and soon on,so why not include no K Scene in the drama, they are setting a new trend for skinship :D:D

• Like 2
  • LOL 5

The scenes between Dong Mae and EC, and their conversations 

are always very calming.

They went through those reports calmly, and they found what 

they were looking for.

I liked that little smile on ECs face when DM came to meet him

infront of the post office.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, rubie said:

Thanks to Chungmuro Crumb for always highlighting MR.SUNSHINE's news update

September 10, 201

Drama Ranking:

1. MR.SUNSHINE
2. My ID is Gangnam Beauty 
3. Familiar Wife 
4. Thirty But Seventeen
5. 100 Days Husband

Actors Ranking:

1. Kim Tae Ri
2. Lee Byung Hun

3. Cha Eun Woo
4. Im Soo Hyang
5. Yoo Yeon Seok 
6. Shin Hye Sun
7. Do Kyung Soo
8. Yang Se Jong
9. Han Ji Min
10. Byun Yo Han

I actually hope Kim Min Jun  and Byun Yo Han would make it to top 10 and higher up. Dayum, i want 5 of them from 1st to 5th place.

• Like 5

IMO, you know what E20 really needed and ultimately lacked?  A montage from AS's POV. Yes, a montage of scenes from AS's POV when she disappeared for 6 months. The show stumbled here, IMHO -  they should have shown how she was coping, what she was doing, maybe a glimpse into her inner thoughts about her relationship with Eugene, maybe her inner struggle to forget him and move on, maybe even a reaction when she learned from the baker that Eugene was asking about her. Instead we got nothing and we were suddenly hit with her 'let's break up and go our separate ways' when she met with Eugene.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Someone brought up AeShin might have noticed that Eugene's name has been added to the hitlist of takashi when she retrieved her music box from Takashi's room.

Afraid Eugene might not leave Joseon, she offers to go with him. While she also get to drop off at japan halfway and bid farewell to Eugene.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, mistergenie said:

IMO, you know what E20 really needed and ultimately lacked?  A montage from AS's POV. Yes, a montage of scenes from AS's POV when she disappeared for 6 months. The show stumbled here, IMHO -  they should have shown how she was coping, what she was doing, maybe a glimpse into her inner thoughts about her relationship with Eugene, maybe her inner struggle to forget him and move on, maybe even a reaction when she learned from the baker that Eugene was asking about her. Instead we got nothing and we were suddenly hit with her 'let's break up and go our separate ways' when she met with Eugene.

Yes, the writers have spoiling this thread - her two disappearances and strange sentences. 

Her transformation is so idiotic and childish that I try to look for meaningful solutions without material (life in the forest, thoughts, doubts, problems) which has been cut out. She began to behave oddly after escaping and hiding in the forest. 

Edit: 

@kansas424

ok, it has some sense but instead of hiding it, she should reveal the truth to him. He could have died this year - murder/assasination. They both dislike each other after what happened

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, aurelionsol said:

Yes, the writers have spoiling this thread - her two disappearances and strange sentences. 

Her transformation is so idiotic and childish that I try to look for meaningful solutions without material (life in the forest, thoughts, doubts, problems) which has been cut out. She began to behave oddly after escaping and hiding in the forest. 

Edit: 

@kansas424

ok, it has some sense but instead of hiding it, she should reveal the truth to him. He could have died this year - murder/assasination. They both dislike each other after what happened

Reveal to him wouldn't make him leave though. 

And her action atitude behavior etc weren't idiotic. Her family was destroyed by the japaneese and lee wan ik, it's only natural for her to seeks revenge against them, as well as rid them off Joseon.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, kansas424 said:

Reveal to him wouldn't make him leave though. 

So she should kill Takashi Mori to ensure Eugene's security. She did nothing and she assumed that nothing would happen for half a year? I'm surprised that Mori did not get rid of his old friend. Eugene did not kill him, though he probably had lots of opportunities. The plot started to be strange in episode 20 - it looks poor because it does not make sense :)

Takashi Mori is madman/villain and kill cadet from Royal Military Academy, japanese major and two innocent soldiers, he kill Hongpa without hesitation and hanged her on the bridge for public view.

9 minutes ago, aurelionsol said:

So she should kill Takashi Mori to ensure Eugene's security. She did nothing and she assumed that nothing would happen for half a year? I'm surprised that Mori did not get rid of his old friend. Eugene did not kill him, though he probably had lots of opportunities. The plot started to be strange in episode 20 - it looks poor because it does not make sense :)

Takashi Mori is madman/villain and kill cadet from Royal Military Academy, japanese major and two innocent soldiers, he kill Hongpa without hesitation and hanged her on the bridge for public view.

Kill Takashi so that Japan has excuses to bring in more troops to Joseon? 

Eugene couldn't kill him easily, he's affiliated to US marine troop. It's not as easy as that. 

Not even Takashi dares to kill Eugene, because US would have excuse to atk Japan. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, kansas424 said:

Kill Takashi so that Japan has excuses to bring in more troops to Joseon? 

Eugene couldn't kill him easily, he's affiliated to US marine troop. It's not as easy as that. 

Not even Takashi dares to kill Eugene, because US would have excuse to atk Japan. 

Time is running out and I have the feeling that Im beginning to watch the Chinese drama with many holes in the story - there is also lack of realism and logic. Let the plot flies with the forced script and suicide mission to Japan.

time to change the subject :)

Anyway, I'll see what they came up with in the last episodes. Im beginning to fear the end of the series.

• Like 1

Hi Soompiers.  Here are more of my thoughts on Ep. 20 and the overall progression of Mr. Sunshine.  Btw, can you believe we have only 4 more episodes left before the end?!! :bawling:

Standard disclaimer:

1. Apologies in advance for the long post AND multiple quotes. 

2. Please let me know if I've missed any significant plot point and/or characterization.

2 hours ago, mistergenie said:

Hi @mistergenie.  Thank you for pointing out something that has made me rather wary about AS' overall character growth/trajectory so far, especially regarding her future.

For the most part, I'm more than fine with the actions she has taken toward defending her people (i.e., EC) and her cause (i.e., Joseon independence), especially given that WI, Takeshi Mori, and others involved in the Japanese rule dared threaten the lives of her, EC, her family (including the deceased Lord Go/AS' grandfather), and her other loved ones in rapid successions (Japanese soldiers besieging the Go household after finding out AS' attendance at the English school, WI's plans of tearing down the Go household to make way for train construction, WI's order of shooting down Lord Go's funeral procession, etc.).  Now that the Japanese colonization of Joseon Korea has more-or-less commenced (unless I'm mistaken, I read in the Ep. 20 recap that the drama is now taking place in 1904 in which Korea technically became Japan's colony, but it's not until 1910 that Japan officially annexed Korea),  I can understand AS' turmoil in having to strategically plan her fight for Joseon independence (while potentially leaving behind her family and even EC) in a rather limited given time that she could barely contemplate all other options of her future, particularly with EC.  

However, as you mentioned above, I really wished (and am still wishing for the 4 remaining episodes) that KES would show scenes of AS' POV of all this predicament during those 6 months, just like she did with EC's scenes.  It would give both EC and us viewers some understanding on why AS would suddenly postulate about either going with EC to the U.S.,  parting ways, or even using him for her own cause/fight.  In my last post, I mentioned that their strength as the OTP was that they communicated to each other their background, passions, and lot in life without much delay, and that their exchanges helped them reconsider their own past values, misgivings (i.e., AS' initial naive, romanticized cause for Joseon independence and EC's initial reluctance to train King Gojong's army(?) or the RA due to his U.S. alliance and past trauma as a former Joseon slave), and future prospects in and/or outside Joseon.  Without such communication and connection, AS and EC will end up misunderstanding and distrusting each other and even start doubting their own willpower in making a difference in their future.

I'll say more on this in my response to @tzupi's quoted post below.

18 hours ago, tzupi said:

It would have been very disappointing if AS had such a discussion with Eugene. AS and Eugene have reached a level of intimacy where this kind of discussion is not necessary. Did he not say to her that he will follow her? What would be the purpose of a discussion about Eugene's feelings for Joseon? Half of the show was already focused on this aspect, and I think it was made clear that he reached kind of a peace with Joseon: he is reluctantly helping them. and he agrees to get more and more involved if it is about the safety of AS and the potter. and this was even before the things turned so wrong as in the last episodes.

Yesterday many people accused Lord Go of being cruel because he showed the right path to Eugene: kill the Japanese colonel. The old man entrusted him with a dangerous mission: for a father that lost two sons in the fight for freedom, what he begs Eugene to do was not cruel. Is a doctor who cause you suffering, while trying to make you healthy cruel? 

Now you are thinking that it is not only cruel but also futile. Futile how? The colonel is a danger for so many, he is unnecessarily cruel...and that's when the term 'cruel' is used correctly. Why is it futile to get rid of a war criminal?

As @ces8 rightly remarked it is difficult to understand what it means to be in a revolution. In my view, in the last episodes, Eugene got further and further away from AS. If he does not get more involved, his chances of ending up with AS will become smaller and smaller. He will become a futile character because the real fight has started and he is not in the middle of it.

So instead of being unhappy about the fact he has dangerous things to do, we should be happy when he gets something to do.

People who want a strong female character should also rejoice. It is good that AS did not lose track of her priorities.

Hi @tzupi.  I respect your detailed insight regarding AS and EC's dynamic and character trajectory, and I, like any other Soompier here, want AS to continue asserting herself as a strong female character who does not constantly need help/discussion from her hero and/or resort to being a plot device for the hero's own character growth/trajectory.

However, in this period where the Japanese feed on the insecurities of the Joseon people including the emperor/king, no one can truly trust even their own loved ones or comrades lest he/she risks betrayal from said loved ones/comrades.   Judging by the end of Ep. 20 and the Ep. 21 preview, AS and EC looked rather resentful and distrustful towards each other and exchanged some pretty harsh words.  If I'm not mistaken, AS approached EC and supposedly implored about going with him to the U.S. when she was actually using him to travel to Japan, and EC accused AS of lying to him for the past 6 months and being cruel in trying to drag him in her fight for Joseon independence.  AS and EC may have had the intimacy in which they may not need to discuss any more about their own stances in previous episodes, but, right now, that scenario that I just mentioned appeared as though AS and EC are starting to lose touch with that level of intimacy- or trust, more likely.  At this point, AS and EC do need to discuss whatever's being going on with them over the past 6 months and now.

Given everything they went through these past episodes, AS and EC cannot afford to lose their trust and communication they've established throughout this drama, especially if they're actually going to fight together for whatever cause or future (Joseon independence, their flight to China or the U.S., etc.).  Sure, given the ultimate tragic outcome of this historical period, it does look less likely that AS and EC will have a happy ending/future together (or individually, for that matter).  Nevertheless, while they still are around each other, they have the chance to convey, listen to, and/or acknowledge the other's perspective regarding their overall stance and future in or outside Joseon before the Japanese takes over and they have no choice but to separate for good (that is, if they choose not to leave together).  While I admire AS for affirming her own decisions and actions and not backing down due to the ongoing turmoil or Joseon traditions, I would like for AS to realize that she cannot shoulder this fight on her own, and she still has EC (and other loved ones) who vows that he will do anything to defend her as long as she communicates without pretense what she wants. 

Btw, I meant to say "foolish" and not "futile" regarding Lord Go's/AS' grandfather's request; for while it's not impossible for EC to kill Takeshi Mori (as we saw EC and Gunner Jang Seung-gu supposedly do in Ep. 20), it is foolish for Lord Go/AS' grandfather to assume that removing Mori (or even WI) would ensure AS' (and her family's) safety.  There will be more WI's and Mori's who will stop at nothing to hunt down and eradicate the RA, anyone else who declares opposition to the Japanese rule, and anybody related to the former two regardless of their positions/thoughts, and there's no way that AS would ever consider hiding her allegiance to the Joseon independence fight if push comes to shove.  After all, AS did declare to her family members (and Haman, who I'm relieved did survive:blush:) that she will remain in Joseon and resolve some "unfinished business" rather than escape with them to Manchuria.

2 hours ago, aurelionsol said:

Edit: 

@kansas424

Hi @aurelionsol.  It's been a long time since we discussed on this thread.

We have 4 episodes left for KES to fully showcase AS' character growth/trajectory from an "impulsive, romantic, naive Joseon noblewoman masquerading as a Joseon independence fighter at night but not really knowing about the general affairs of Joseon people" to an "independent fighter for her own destiny/future who contemplates the long-term consequences of her actions, decisions, and other affairs in Joseon".  Until then, let's give both KES and AS a benefit of a doubt regarding AS' rash actions as a Joseon independence fighter during these recent episodes; for she (and her family and loved ones) did put up with nonstop series of senseless, brutal take-down attempts from WI and/or Mori (ransacking the Go household, the shooting at the funeral procession, etc.) that she could not stop and clearly think through her decisions/actions and the Joseon affairs, especially now that Japan is proceeding further with assuming control over Joseon Korea.

That being said, I agree with you that AS needs to tell EC the truth (and vice versa), as well as everything that's being going on with her since.  Otherwise, she will lose EC not just as her lover but, more importantly, also as someone whom she can trust in a time period when no one can truly trust their own kind or even themselves.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I didn't have enough time to think about last week's episode yet, but love to read all your thoughts here!

I found this from instagram post from fan, who asked LBH about the ending

"he couldn't say about ending but he said, compared to previous 20 episodes, remaining 4 episodes will be more exciting!"

So, don't cry and hold your breath for the next episode! ( 6 days to go? ) 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Screen-Shot-2018-09-09-at-15.34.40.png?w

KES proves why she is one of the greatest drama writers of our time...

Although she has endured unkind words both written and said by others because of Mr Sunshine.  Still her story and even this latest view shows the pictures and characters that were in her mind and in her heart as well.  I admire that she always stays true to herself and her work....

She continues to show so many examples although a piece of fiction.  Still there is no denying the flow of emotions and feelings that she wanted us to understand and feel or the struggles and pain that she captured so well that makes one feel as if it is real...

I haven't even finished this episode because this one view honestly hurt my heart.

How does one describe or show a conflict & war or the suffering & pain that it brings.

How does one make it understandable & relatable to all those who will see.

Maybe by simply showing it through a mans love for his wife. 

A strong and courageous man who is seen broken, crying and singing softly and tenderly to a wife who can no longer hear him or see his face.

With tears flowing and his strong arms wrapped around her and still I am stuck in the view of her hanging with that lingering sound of him saying...

Let her down...  She's my wife...

Edited by Guest
correction of course :{

@KDramaLogic

Hi, 

it's more about my thoughts that complete your interesting post.

I have a logical and pragmatic problem with AeShin and her actions over the last 8-6 months. We need her experiences and flashbacks and Eugene too. She now feel lost/torn between feelings for her homeland (falling country, lost home and crushed family, hostile attitude toward invader - Japan) or love for Eugene? Ok,  let it be that way. She is 30 years old woman and I cant treat her like a teenager. She has to deal with her problems, feelings and finally make a mature choice in final episodes. He said he would follow her, wherever she go but there must come a moment when she should do the same for him.  I've already talked about setting a line that I expect from her (fighter/love). She should finally go to the U.S. keeping her promise to Eugene and become more sensitive for his needs - he wants to keep her alive and be happy at last.

He was also felt lost/torn between duty as a soldier and citizen of the US and he choose love for Aeshin and support for Joseon. He risked live, position and what he get in the US despite the lack of full acceptance. It seems that he will continue to do so in Japan. 

He is angry now and has doubts about her intentions (he has the right now which is understandable and maybe he will see during the trip that she has an internal problem and try resolve things, maybe she will try to fix something but I dont believe too much in it because she's stubborn and seems a bit insensitive to Eugene's needs when she disappeared for 8 months) but he still wants to help her, which is a great act of sacrifice/devoting. Now his time is slowly coming to an end,  he has to leave Joseon - deployment order. Should he be a deserter and run with gun in the forest as RA member? It seems to me that he devoted a lot of things and spent enough time in Joseon.

I agree, they both need seriusly to talk and find a compromise and show support and trust - I'm still on Eugene's side and he deserves more from her in future (fulfill her promise and pay off debt). Relationships are based on conversations, acceptances and compromises. Aeshin looks much worse in this field at the moment, unlike Eugene. They both have experienced a lot and she is not the only one who lost something. She should start moving forward, leave some things behind her and devoted something for Eugene (her old actions began to blur at her own request/wish). He will take her to Japan, help her and receive nothing in return? I think she will be in a place and time from which there is no return for her. I hope that she consciously expected it and she knew it when she came to his room (this change a bit my opinion about her if this is truth, she is more mature and knew that she has crossed a line and needs to fix it).  The price she will pay for his help and support. Leaving Joseon behind her. She will decide to stay by his side and perhaps she will come back when country will regain peace again (he will probably die of old age, but she is much younger). 

Yes, Without such communication and connection, AS and EC will end up misunderstanding and distrusting each other and even start doubting their own willpower in making a difference in their future.

• Like 6