[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

6 minutes ago, lilyphenix said:

Why does this TV show make me cry so much? :bawling:

Well, it doesn't help that this drama is (very loosely) based on a real tragic historical period of Joseon Korea before the 30-40 year Japanese annexation of Korea that included Japanese oppression of the Korean national identity (i.e., forcing Koreans to adopt Japanese names) and atrocities (i.e., Comfort Women) that the Japanese government still whitewashes.:bawling::pensive:

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

Real history: Yi Sang Ryong's house in An Dong.

Yi Sang Ryong was a noble person, his family had been lived in their house of 99 rooms since year 1519. At year 1911, after Korean fell to Japanese empire, he sold all his property, released all the slaves, moved to China with his family. He built Shin Heung Military Academy there, later it became a famous base camp of independence movement. Including himself, his 4 sons & 4 nephews (total 9 family members) sacrificed their lives during fighting against Japanese empire. Yi Sang Ryong couldn't come back home, died in China at 1932.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yi_Sang-ryong

201708151811_11130923799130_1.jpg

As a revenge, Japan built railroad right in the middle of his big house, destroyed half of buildings.
Korean new president Moon visited there on 2017 Aug.15 Korean Independence Day, and promised to move the railroad, and recover the old Yi Sang Ryong's house as it was. It will be fully recovered in year 2020.

https://news.joins.com/article/21844193

https://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=312&aid=0000290818

• Like 2
  • Thanks 10

3 hours ago, saturn said:

Real history: Yi Sang Ryong's house in An Dong.

Thanks so much for sharing this! 

I just finished up 19 and was reeling from all the casualties of the episode. Anyone else felt this episode was an absolute bloodbath ?! It was crazy! I was literally holding my breath the moment AS's aunt yelled "HuiSong!" I actually thought that it was the end of him! Loved how it was AS and RA That saved him! 

Favorite scene would have to be Lord Go visiting AS while she was locked in the shed. His apology to her for the things he said was beautiful. So happy that this was included before his passing.

Just when I thought I couldn't despise LWI more, ep 19 proves me wrong. Every single time he appeared on screen, I couldn't help but cuss at my TV. Loved the scene where the emperor smacked the crap out of him. I absolutely hate when LWI can get away with the crap he says ugh!

Loved how they showed how much KH emphatized for the victims of LWI. 

Lastly, my heart breaks for Gunner Jang :( 

• Like 7
  • Sad 3

@mistymorning thank you for the explanations about the dialogues between Lord Go and EC and DM. Still, I have a question flying in my mind: where is the Joseon army and police? We see in previous episode the Japanese bad soldier being arrested and executed for killing 2 Joseon people. Why this time Japanese soldiers can kill all around? The Joseon- Japan treaty was it already signed? I must have missed something. If this is not the case, I wonder why they can’t they be stopped by the Joseon army. Then... what about the russian rifle? It was returned to Eugene, but now is again in AeShin hands.  What about the list of names that Eugene managed to write down? Can’t  be given to the RA like the rifle, maybe left at the pharmacy?

About the haircut. I understood that DM explanation was that WI was after AeShin. Well, after the haircut he is still after AeShin, even in her own home, so making her kept at home was completely useless. His way of protecting her is not effective at all. Is there something else I am missing? 

• Like 3

@marfisa About the rifle, it's Eugene's own gun from the legation that he brought with him when he went to see Eun San (with the info that Ae Shin was ordered to shoot him). EC handed the gun to ES, telling him to pull the trigger himself. But ES didn't and told him to leave instead, that's the last time they ever spoke to each other. The gun gifted to Ae Shin is definitely with her and it's kinda cool that she remembers to practice holding/aiming it (as Eugene taught her) while being grounded at home.

The haircut spur-of-the-moment action was not working.. it only got everyone doubly furious and totally mad. Perhaps, it's a way to show Lord Go's last moments to reconcile with his granddaughters and to highlight Eugene's missing-in-action handkerchief shown in the earlier episode.. every item in the drama, have their own role to play.;)All this after getting everyone so worked up and debating in circles over it.

Anyway, photos posted by Domi after episode 19 was aired last night.

LWI is so unbelievable! :angry: Just to spite his own daughter, he proudly proclaimed that he killed Ae Shin's parents point blank. That is just so cruel. He probably wanted to remind that they are both from the same blood.. again indicating that Hina had killed her husband as well. Her mental & emotional suffering will never end. Maybe Hee Sung could be her knight now (he really has improved a lot) and matches her more than ever.. but that would only make LWI's sinister plan work.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, q4q4 said:

I just finished up 19 and was reeling from all the casualties of the episode. Anyone else felt this episode was an absolute bloodbath ?! It was crazy! ...

Yes, episode 19 was brutal, gory at times, bloody, in other words: a torture for my heart and soul. It was very hard for me to watch, but I also deeply appreciate the writer and director for reminding us of the nasty reality of wars, and of what the Japanese soldiers did in particular. I couldn't help but reflect on the cruelty people are capable of toward others, when countries are at war... I do not wish anyone to go through that...

On a different note, the ending of this episode was glorious. I'm starting to recognize that AS has a certain pose/silhouette, when she is in sniper mode: dark clothes, mouth covered of course, but she tilts her head to the right as she zeroes in on her target. I don't advocate killings (obviously), but in the context of saving her country it's so badass! I think pretty much all the women in this show are strong, even the evil ones (they show determination in their cowardice or evilness, lol). There isn't many damsels in distress; everyone shows bravery at some point, including AS' married cousin, who I guess rebels against her abusive husband by spending her time drinking coffee and playing cards at a hotel. She showed her strength and loyalty in this episode by refusing to steal the documents that donates parcels of lands to the farmer, no matter the amount of beating he gave her.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

If Mrs Haman died it could be one of the reasons why Eugene would challenge Mori to a duel. She was like a mother to Aeshin and we could feel her concern for Eugene (she accepted him and treat well)

Of course, the Go family massacre also matters

it is political suicide and probably this will lead to the stop of the annexation (the document is on its way)

writers wanted to speed up but it will happen according to history - 1905

Aeshin and Eugene could become symbols of resistance and fight - they dont have to take part in the following years and can go to the USA (they can flee because of a political scandal - massacre japanese soldiers by RA and duel when Mori is killed, Aeshin loses her home anyway and is wanted, Eugene is an American)

• Like 4

Wow, that was... I have so many thoughts.

Well, everything is paying off like gangbusters. It's going to be fireworks every minute until the finale. There was something very staid about this show. It spent a huge amount of time with careful character-building and world-building. And there were so many characters to know, so much of this world to learn about.

But that time invested was more than worth it. Seeing Haman-daek fall (NOOOOO!), seeing Eun-San whip off his mask, seeing Seung-Gu pin down Wan-Ik, seeing Hina break down, seeing Ae-Shin on the rooftop... every minute is just flippin' epic that my senses are just blown.

What happened to Hong-Pa (the Ju-Mo, or tavern owner / row-woman) was the start. The massacre at the 49 days ceremony was horrible, but what they did to that woman was the real shock to the system. This story will not spare you from not just how brutal, but downright obscene the Japanese occupation of Korea was.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Because of what Takashi did to HongPa, just so sadistic and barbaric!!!! Eugene totally snapped!!! He can't control himself anymore and let out his anger totally. Luckily Kyle was there to defend EC, or both him & TM will end up dead.

Can't imagine being Gunner Jang... the anguish cry..  it's like him losing his father once again and more!! This is just so sad and cruel. Nothing like it. th_sad004.gif th_sad004.gif th_sad004.gif

@aurelionsol is correct about Ms. Haman, she is alive.. must have passed out instead. A little comforting consolation to have.. in such heartbreaking sequences of this stressful depressing drama..

• Like 4
  • Sad 8

i am so sad  sorry tvn is not working well...interesting preview...that jerk asking Eugene about that woman...seemed he was confronting him about her...otp together in a train...she looked so sad...will they leave together and return later to fight for JOSEON?

Will Hina betray the minister ?She seemed upset ...like wanting to kill the minister /lord she is working for...something about her mom ...

• Like 4