Quantcast
Jump to content

[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category


Recommended Posts

It's hard to list up what I feeling from today's episode. Sorry this is going to be a long post.

Thoughts on today's episode. (Episode 17).

 

- Peach PPL .... urgh. so awkward.

- Aeshin is looking for the opposite of sad ending. I hope we may get one in the end.

- Hina's astute not to leave anything in writing. This scene in the bakery between Hina and Aeshin is important, HN point blank said DM did it for AS's grandpa. Another thoughtful line from HN is that to HN, AS seems to be there in the room 304(probably equiv. of Eugene's heart) always. Very on point statement.

- Argh.. looking at those yangban lads in training. Not prepared and doesn't even have any respect for important skills they'll need in near future. 

- WI starts not looking so scary, but we'll have more evil villain in last scene who's much more scary without being loud.

- stagnant water tends to rot. I don't like LJM, but he's a memorable character.

- I always love EC's quiet rage, this time toward WI. I was shouting yay! at the scene.

- I do want to EC and AS to assassinate all the bad people at night, but I guess that'll change this drama to fantasy. 

- Jang Dongyun's delivery needs work. Hope he'll get better.

- Kwansoo! so glad to see him in action again. Enjoying and having a blast dissing Eugene. Probably tool to relieve a stress of being a double spy, but so funny. 

- DM and EC bromance!

- DM and EC had real enlightening discussion here. EC told DM about power of having a choice. I think this will be part of reason he'll make a different choice in the future.(Probably next episode?)

- Revenging death of parents more or less feel like a duty of child in culture, so not doing that is something extraordinary especially if you have means to. I love scene between EC and HS's mother, in this episode and in previous episode. EC made a closure on his parent's death. by giving them forgiveness (just not in the name) and fully clear HS from it. 

From scene from last episode where he asked for a valley where his parents dump ground is as a payment from LMJ, this chapter for him is done. I'm glad his deed fits the meaning of his name.

- Leo from french legation seems to be a spy who get money from Japan and made LJM agent lady Kang as a double spy. Kang will be betrayed in the near future, but prob. after impacting damage on LJM.

- Eugene told hangrang abum about the informant. Very smart move from EC.

- I love EC as drill instructor! Though those yangban lads are aweful bunch so far.  I googled and the method(PRI) with go stone is real training method esp for those who are in-experienced. 

- Grandpa Go is thinking about Eugene and trying to be in his shoes(maybe?) Possible clue for his future attitude change toward EC?

- Broken engagement and HS crying over wedding letter. It's heartbreaking scene. Also I'm very disheartened to hear about people disparaging AS on street. And badmouthing AS saying that she's flawed because she was raised without parents. 

- Usually astute Kwansoo very much wrong about HS-AS break-up. 

- Kwansoo having a time of his life getting back at Eugene for EC's attitude to him being dragged away by DM's men. 

- Funny scene between LJM-Gunner Jang-Eugene. This scheme of LJM only works because Eugene invested so much already to back off. 

- Hotaru's prediction of death. It's first time she got it wrong, isn't it?

- DM worrying AS going out and hearing people talking ill of her. He seems to be a bit disappointed when she said a promise is a promise, but got moved when she thanked her. He almost cried.... 

- HN baiting lady Kang. Got confirmation of their meeting from rickshaw man

- I guess HN's mother is dead. From HN's old photo,  I wasn't able to match mom to proper age actress that i know, so wasn't sure who that will be, thou I don't remember LJM actually confirmed HN mom's whereabout, but i guess it ends like this. 

- Another long waited dating scene between Eugene and Aeshin. These 2 love birds are too cute, EC is really a fool and totally in the hand of Aeshin. 

- Grandpa Go doing petition for the king. Along with what's in preview, I'm afraid of another tragic event, not just against Grandpa.

- There's wedge between WI and Hayashi. But then, I guess WI always had limitation not being real japanese. 

- DM getting shot from previous RA fighter who he let go and monitoring for a while. I guess DM stopped monitoring him. He was shot 2 times, but considering rifle at that time if those didn't hit crucial body part he may not die. (And considering preview I think that's what happened). Again HS came to rescue! And DM is a soul who's glad it's not her who shoot him. I think this is the beginning of DM's change. 

- The new villain Takashi! He's the one from episode 1 who visited Eugene when he was packing for transfer to Joseon. I though he was at least a real friend to Eugene, but doesn't look like one esp. when he was mentioning status difference between Eugene and himself. I wonder how he's going to guess relationship between Eugene and Aeshin, maybe thru musicbox? or Eugene appearing to protect Aeshin's household? 

 

I thought Takashi may be from based on real japan politician, but seems that it's wrong of me. Takashi seems to be in higher position(colonel) and being higher class in Japan, may wield more power. I wonder how Eugene will solve this situation! Argh... can't wait for tomorrow.

 

In the episode 18 preview, 

(scene : Eugene seems to meet Takashi in Glory hotel)

Eugene: I tell them not to be afraid even though the enemy might seem indestructible

(scene: Hina and Japanese officer?soldier fighting with sword. Japanese soldiers watching around them. Hina seems to have advantage in the end)

(scene: Chosun police arresting protesting scholars, grandpa Go at the front)

Takashi: People risk their lives to protect the country. The commoners. They call themselves the Righteous Army.

(scene: HS writing to make newspaper. Writing year of 1903)

(scene: meeting between gunner Jang in uniform and grandpa in prison, gunner Jang bowing deep to grandpa)

(scene: WI seeing Aeshin and Hamandaek outside, probably gunner's hut?)

WI: If that fool had a child, it would be her age.

(Aeshin bowing deeply to Gunner Jang and then gunner Jang doing the same)

AS: I don't regret making any of my choices

(scene: Dr. Matsuyama operating on DM. DM's right and left arms watching in the same room)

(scene: DM standing in front of AS with sword out)

DM: I intend to become a man of use for you from now on. I don't care if I have to make the whole world my enemy.

 

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In regards to my last post/ warning, I've received some PMs requesting for clarifications.  I'm going to reply here so that everything will be clear for everybody and fan fights won't reproduce again.

This weeks episodes were great with both the action and story and have been my favourite yet.   There was one scene which really hit me and it was the ending scene when AS and EC hugged. The

Ahh, lovebirds must thank Hina for the privacy. Her spider sense is wrong again when it comes to Ae Shin/Eugene      Credit: Netflix   This part was so good.  The c

Posted Images

Guys any idea about the rating for episode 17? Hope it will jump to 16 or 17 %at least 

@Ahpheng

I miss reading your strip.."come here, come here" now :D

And those members who left the thread Pls. Do Comeback.. I Miss reading your insights and opinion,

Lets  enjoy this awesome, funny, historical, heartwrenching and most of all " shippmaker" :D drama together till the last episode

*awww the ratings drops according to wiki from 15 to 7 % :tears:

Edited by elfvanvan
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Strongly affected by the Asian Games.

 

AGB Nielsen Ratings:

 

Episode 1   7/7/18       8.852%

Episode 2   7/8/18       9.691%

Episode 3   7/14/18    10.082%

Episode 4   7/15/18    10.567%

Episode 5   7/21/18    10.835%

Episode 6   7/22/18     11.713%

Episode 7  7/28/18      11.114%

Episode 8  7/29/18      12.330%

Episode 9  8/3/18        11.695%

Episode 10  8/4/18      13.534%

Episode 11  8/11/18    12.792%

Episode 12  8/12/18    13.399%

Episode 13  8/18/18    13.327%

Episode 14  8/19/18    15.626%

Episode 15  8/25/18     12.893%

Episode 16  8/26/18   15.023%

Episode 17  9/1/18        7.694%

 

 

Source

  • Like 4
  • Sad 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mistergenie said:

 

With so many plot movements happening now, I was thinking that it would have been great if we had 30 episodes. Honestly, I am always apprehensive when the final few episodes of any kdrama start their run towards the finish line. Why you ask? Well, it is because it has been my past and regular experience with many a kdrama where they tried to  fit too much into the final few episodes which inevitably lead to rushed conclusions and nonsensical, twisty (just for the sake of being twisty) endings that poured water over all the previous development of the earlier episodes.

 

I concur that pacing, tying up of loose ends and multiple character/story arcs are some of the major common issues found in K-dramas, especially in the final episodes.  So far, I think that KES has done her best with the set-up, pacing, and depiction of each of the 5 main characters' (and other characters') story arc, character development, etc., as well as keeping intact the tumultuous historical period of Joseon Korea prior to the Japanese annexation (with some creative liberties and/or possible omissions of certain events in Joseon Korea such as the Russo-Japanese War according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russo-Japanese_War, unless I'm losing track of the drama events and timeline! :mellow:).  Not to mention that KES, the cast and crew of Mr. Sunshine have invested and given their all in quite an expensive yet immersive drama production.

 

Having said that, I agree that the drama could have benefited more in terms of pacing and set-up of these multiple character/story arcs if it were given a 30-or-more-episode format rather than 24.  After all, several (but not all) historical/sageuk K-dramas typically span over 50 episodes in order to draw out the historical context and inform/remind viewers of multiple key historical figures/characters.  If I could recall, each episode of those historical/sageuk dramas even showed names/brief character info of each character that we've already seen in order to remind us of his/her story arc and/or position in the main storyline.  Even Six Flying Dragons, a semi-fusion(?) sageuk drama with a mix of real historical figures (including Jeong Do-jeon, Lee Bang-won/King Taejong, and Poeun/Jeong Mong-ju played by Kim Eui-sung, the actor starring as Wan Ik here) and fictional characters (including Boon-yi, Musa Moohyul, and Ddangsae/Lee Bang-ji played by Byun Yo-han/HS), lasted 50 episodes, contained those brief character names/anecdotes in each episode, and dealt with multiple story arcs of 6 titular characters (hence, 6 Flying Dragons) plus other major historical figures/characters belonging to several (political) factions.

 

Then again, I would have never thought that KES would delve into such a sensitive, difficult historical period in Korea that, as far as I'm aware, not many (if any) K-dramas/movies/etc. have covered.  So, I'm curious about how these character/story arcs will unfold over the remaining 7 episodes, as well as what message KES will convey towards the end of Mr. Sunshine.

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

No worries.  South Korea won the gold medal in Asian Games soccer final against Japan.  And like that, all SK team players are exempt from military service :D

 

Congrats to SK!

OT: I watched the match. It was well played by the Koreans. Unfortunately, we lost to Japan in the final of hockey game. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

@KDramaLogic, Russo-Japanese war is in the near future for drama's current timeline. it's 1903 in drama land, but Russo Japanese War is in 1904-1905. The tension between Russia and Japanese, and possibility of war are being mentioned quite a time in drama, so I think we'll see something from that point.

 

While I love to have 50 episodes of Mr Sunshine, the production cost and time to shoot that long would be too much. And casting would become issues, not many wants to be tied to TV production for that long. And most of our beloved characters are not based on real people, I think so far only foreign consuls and King/Queen are real and nobody else that I can think of. Unlike those sageuk, Mr Sunshine planned to be a story of nameless RA, so.... I don't know... Finally, attaching too many such reference directly to characters could raise issues on depicting twisted history under the guise of real saguek, so I think it's safe to be on the side of fusion historical drama. 

 

For rating on today, no worries. Final round soccer match between Korea and Japan viewership ratio was 57.3 % average(for all KBS/MBC/SBS) peak rating 63.78%. I expect things to be back to normal tomorrow.(crossing fingers)

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, mistymorning said:

@KDramaLogic, Russo-Japanese war is in the near future for drama's current timeline. it's 1903 in drama land, but Russo Japanese War is in 1904-1905. The tension between Russia and Japanese, and possibility of war are being mentioned quite a time in drama, so I think we'll see something from that point.

 

While I love to have 50 episodes of Mr Sunshine, the production cost and time to shoot that long would be too much. And casting would become issues, not many wants to be tied to TV production for that long. And most of our beloved characters are not based on real people, I think so far only foreign consuls and King/Queen are real and nobody else that I can think of. Unlike those sageuk, Mr Sunshine planned to be a story of nameless RA, so.... I don't know... Finally, attaching too many such reference directly to characters could raise issues on depicting twisted history under the guise of real saguek, so I think it's safe to be on the side of fusion historical drama. 

 

His @mistymorning.  Sorry to cut your post into two parts.

 

First, thanks for the clarification on the current drama timeline!  Having watched the past 17 unsubbed episodes on dailymotion.com with limited Korean language comprehension/fluency (for I don't have or use Netflix subscription, and I've heard that the Netflix subtitles for this drama have been more-or-less inaccurate),  I tend to miss certain characterizations and plot points, including timelines, flash-forwards, and other time changes.  Off-topic, that's one of my peeves with watching either Korean or English dramas/movies/etc. of specific genres such as historical, medical, and law; these  works often contain a hefty amount of technical vocabulary/terms, concepts, and other aspects that, if elicited too briefly or vaguely even while I'm trying to give my undivided attention, would go way over my head.  While this would not lessen my appreciation and enjoyment of these types of dramas/movies/etc. including Mr. Sunshine, I could end up getting lost on the context of the story/character arc and thus misjudge or misunderstand why certain characters (the RA, for example) acted otherwise.

 

Of course, a lot of money has been invested into creating and producing the drama, including costume, shootings, and the cast and crew's salaries (I overheard that renowned actors like LBH/EC usually expect an unusually high salary for drama roles; I don't know about salaries for movie roles, though).  That's why i mentioned about KES, the cast and crew investing their time and effort in bringing to life the characterization and context of this expensive yet immersive drama production.  So, it would be a tall order for KES to expand the drama to 50 or more episodes, especially when there haven't been as many real historical figures (besides King Gojong) as we'd normally see in historical/sageuk dramas.  Still, I'm curious and wary about how KES will resolve multiple major character/story arcs and integrate subsequent historical movements leading up to the Japanese colonization of Joseon Korea, including the Russo-Japanese war, in seven remaining episodes.  Like @mistergenie, I have noticed that several K-dramas have had issues with pacing, resolving of multiple character/story arcs and loose ends toward the finale that sometimes resulted in storylines and/or characters coming off as out-of-nowhere/makjang/out-of-character.  So far, KES has accomplished a considerable feat of developing and pacing each characters' growth, trajectory, and contribution to the main plot/conflict; hopefully the drama does not lose momentum toward the end.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

@KDramaLogic, I watch this with Netflix english subtitle on sometimes just for the sake of checking subtitle accuracy and for the pleasure of seeing how some korean lines are interpreted in english, and it's not that bad. Sometimes it has some mistakes but not that many, and not to the extent that it'll disrupt the whole story progress. So I highly recommend you Netflix if you are watching this without subs as a non-korean speaker.

 

So far, I'm cool with pacing of this drama. I wasn't into KES drama before like this, so I cannot say KES track records with latter part of her series, but so far I think I got the good vibe. But, we'll have to see. 

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Episode 17

Lee Jung-Moon.

Title: Blackmailer-in-Chief

sunshine-09-00093.jpg

 

So far I count 3 victims (people he's tried to manipulate to get them to do what he asks): Hee-Na (Glory Hotel owner/the info about her mother), Eugene Choi (when he asked him to be the drill instructor the first time, and since he couldn't use him, he was ready to have him killed; used Joseph's death knowing it would hurt EC, though it was primarily to help the Emperor save face), Gunner Jang in episode 17.

 

Dang! I'm glad I don't know him in real life. He's worse than Facebook: You can't hide anything from him.

  • Like 1
  • LOL 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, rubie said:

September 2, 2018


September Drama Actor Brand Reputation Rankings Announced

Source: Soompi by eclipse01

 

 

 

The Korean Business Research Institute has revealed this month’s brand reputation rankings for drama actors!

 

The rankings were determined through a data analysis of the media coverage, participation, interaction, and community indexes of 100 actors who appeared in dramas that aired between August 2 and September 1.

 

Actress Kim Tae Ri topped this month’s list with a brand reputation index of 8,811,309. High-ranking phrases in her keyword analysis included “Mr. Sunshine,” “Lee Byung Hun,” and “Hong Seo Bum,” while her highest-ranking related terms included “pretty,” “cute,” and “neat.” Kim Tae Ri’s positivity-negativity analysis also revealed a score of 76.84 percent positive reactions.

 

Shin Hye Sun, who is currently starring in SBS’s “30 but 17,” took second place for the month with a brand reputation index of 6,834,107.

 

Han Ji Min, the leading lady of tvN’s “Familiar Wife,” followed at a close third with a score of 6,263,602.

 

Check out the top 30 for September below!

 

1. Kim Tae Ri
2. Shin Hye Sun
3. Han Ji Min
4. Lee Byung Hun
5. Kim Min Jung
6. ASTRO’s Cha Eun Woo
7. Lee Yoo Ri
8. Im Soo Hyang
9. Cho Seung Woo
10. Clazziquai’s Alex
11. Park Sun Young
12. Song Ji Hyo
13. Kim Young Min
14. Yoon Doojoon
15. Hong Soo Hyun
16. Yang Se Jong
17. Lee Jin Wook
18. Ji Sung
19. Yoo Jae Myung
20. Lee Dong Wook
21. Lee Ha Na
22. Kwon Yool
23. Yoo Yeon Seok
24. Park Shi Hoo
25. Jo Woo Ri
26. Lee Ji Hoon
27. Lee Si Young
28. Byun Yo Han
29. Yoon Shi Yoon
30. Kang Han Na


Source (1)

 

Allow me to begin by thanking and quoting @rubie  for this post. I've added red highlights to our superb cast here in MrSS, for whom no amount of superlatives do justice. :wub: But congrats especially to Kim Tae-Ri for this most well deserved and sustained recognition.:love:

 

I'm not sure why it's so quiet here after Ep 17, which in my view was the finest one so far. Blew my mind. Made me proud to be a Korean person just to be associated with the writer of this story in a distant way (like I am to Abraham Lincoln or Father Abraham for that matter). I've never said that about any drama, but this was one perfection of an episode.

 

Byun Yo-Han's performance at the pool table, their most tender dialog, blew my mind. Ae-Sin must've had a weak-kneed moment at least for a second. But the writer-nim, with her imagination and creativity in introducing such a character arc for Hui-Sung, starting from such a louse of a man struggling to rid himself of his horrid parentage, turning everywhere for relief from his guilt (I want to coin it the Korean Yang-ban - 양반 nobleman - guilt), but just at the most crucial juncture of his life, to the only person for whom his action might work to save his soul, so to speak, he does the absolute right thing, the righteous thing in loving her in the way she desires. I've seen other pro-Japanese playboy turn patriotic for the sake of his one true and deserving love (since Han Ji-Min's pic is above, her part in the old 'Captial Scandal' comes to mind) story, but this scene at the pool table today was in a league of its own from start to finish. Bravo to Writer-nim. Then, too, Hui-Sung's mother's apology to Ae-Sin's aunt/stepmom was soo well done, most poignant dialog - every single one of these actors and actresses have elevated their acting chops a few notches - that scene also complemented her son's righteous act and gave closure to the matter for me.:heartbreak::innocent::innocent:

 

Goo Dong-Mae, I really thought he was done. I didn't watch any previews so I couldn't imagine this happening already. But that was soo well done. I cried. He wanted candy and was grumpy that he didn't get service. The little butcher-shop boy who had to pretend to be so tough when he jumped into young Ae-Sin's palanquin, he just wanted some candy, just so elated that Ae-Sin had kept her promise and held her end of the bargain, paying him, then thanking him from the heart for his genuine concern for her grandfather. And, too, as he lied there bleeding to death and coughing up blood, he thought of how worthy a thing it was that he had done for her grandfather (since he was promptly shot for it), how worthy a thanks she had paid him - it was enough for him to be satisfied, but I wonder if it gave him a supernatural will to live, to beat his luck for the day, to live one more day, for his Ae-Sin. We all know the answer.:scream::skull::heartbreak::cold_sweat::innocent:

 

Then Eugene, who has it so easy, so easy that he can tease Ae-Sin and tell her the flowers were more beautiful than the woman (Ae-Sin), much to her jealous rage (silence), but ah, again, when it most counted, against the completely unexpected, his old Japanese 'friend's attempted rape of Ae-Sin's household - of course none other than Mr SunShine on his high horse enters from out of nowhere. I don't know why, but at the moment I had forgotten to remember that he would enter just like that, was just enraged along with Ae-Sin at what was unfolding before my eyes in her household.:naughty::glasses::innocent:

 

So many other scenes.... Dong-Mae and Eugene's quiet exchange and convoluted "we're brothers now because I know you're Ssang-Nom (쌍놈 low-born) just like me" and "Oh but I looked the other way for you even when I knew you were a butcher why don't you have the sense to do the same for me". Just so well said, and most of it translated just like that quite well.:phew:

 

This was such a happy day in dramaland for me, I can't ask for more.

Except, as you all know, I can't not, because the Sun is still Shining.... :tounge_wink:

Edited by Berou
Please do not quote images. Thanks :)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Random thoughts on episode 17 

- DM can't die yet: I'm not ready. (throws tantrum, wipes tears) :tears:

- Exactly how many elders does AS' family have? That's not a family, that's a tribe! <3 :blink:

- Japanese soldiers behaving as if they own Joseon is :rage:

- AS memorizing all the soldiers' faces...

- Just when I thought my heart was going to break, and was wondering where he is when we need him... Someone sure knows how to make a dramatic entrance.

- I thereby crown EC the King of Shades! ;-)

 

@meechuttso I read the beginning of your post (the popularity index; thank you!), but not the end yet. I will come back and read all posts after I finish watching last night's episode. :)

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, meechuttso said:

 

Allow me to begin by thanking and quoting @rubie  for this post. I've added red highlights to our superb cast here in MrSS, for whom no amount of superlatives do justice. :wub: But congrats especially to Kim Tae-Ri for this most well deserved and sustained recognition.:love:

 

I'm not sure why it's so quiet here after Ep 17, which in my view was the finest one so far. Blew my mind. Made me proud to be a Korean person just to be associated with the writer of this story in a distant way (like I am to Abraham Lincoln or Father Abraham for that matter). I've never said that about any drama, but this was one perfection of an episode.

 

Byun Yo-Han's performance at the pool table, their most tender dialog, blew my mind. Ae-Sin must've had a weak-kneed moment at least for a second. But the writer-nim, with her imagination and creativity in introducing such a character arc for Hui-Sung, starting from such a louse of a man struggling to rid himself of his horrid parentage, turning everywhere for relief from his guilt (I want to coin it the Korean Yang-ban - 양반 nobleman - guilt), but just at the most crucial juncture of his life, to the only person for whom his action might work to save his soul, so to speak, he does the absolute right thing, the righteous thing in loving her in the way she desires. I've seen other pro-Japanese playboy turn patriotic for the sake of his one true and deserving love (since Han Ji-Min's pic is above, her part in the old 'Captial Scandal' comes to mind) story, but this scene at the pool table today was in a league of its own from start to finish. Bravo to Writer-nim. Then, too, Hui-Sung's mother's apology to Ae-Sin's aunt/stepmom was soo well done, most poignant dialog - every single one of these actors and actresses have elevated their acting chops a few notches - that scene also complemented her son's righteous act and gave closure to the matter for me.:heartbreak::innocent::innocent:

 

Goo Dong-Mae, I really thought he was done. I didn't watch any previews so I couldn't imagine this happening already. But that was soo well done. I cried. He wanted candy and was grumpy that he didn't get service. The little butcher-shop boy who had to pretend to be so tough when he jumped into young Ae-Sin's palanquin, he just wanted some candy, just so elated that Ae-Sin had kept her promise and held her end of the bargain, paying him, then thanking him from the heart for his genuine concern for her grandfather. And, too, as he lied there bleeding to death and coughing up blood, he thought of how worthy a thing it was that he had done for her grandfather (since he was promptly shot for it), how worthy a thanks she had paid him - it was enough for him to be satisfied, but I wonder if it gave him a supernatural will to live, to beat his luck for the day, to live one more day, for his Ae-Sin. We all know the answer.:scream::skull::heartbreak::cold_sweat::innocent:

 

Then Eugene, who has it so easy, so easy that he can tease Ae-Sin and tell her the flowers were more beautiful than the woman (Ae-Sin), much to her jealous rage (silence), but ah, again, when it most counted, against the completely unexpected, his old Japanese 'friend's attempted rape of Ae-Sin's household - of course none other than Mr SunShine on his high horse enters from out of nowhere. I don't know why, but at the moment I had forgotten to remember that he would enter just like that, was just enraged along with Ae-Sin at what was unfolding before my eyes in her household.:naughty::glasses::innocent:

 

 So many other scenes.... Dong-Mae and Eugene's quiet exchange and convoluted "we're brothers now because I know you're Ssang-Nom (쌍놈 low-born) just like me" and "Oh but I looked the other way for you even when I knew you were a butcher why don't you do the same for me". Just so well said, and most of it translated just like that quite well.:phew:

 

This was such a happy day in dramaland for me, I can't ask for more.

Except, as you all know, I can't not, because the Sun is still Shining.... :tounge_wink:

 

Mr. Sunshine is officially the best drama i have even watched for the past 30 years. You should be proud of Korea, for such high quality production. Along with these excellence lineup of fine actors. There's no need of much skinship, i can feel the pureness and simplest form of love which existed back then, the actors can literally converse with their eyes, crazy acting skills. 
 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

@kansas424 That's exactly what I was thinking too, about the excellency of so many k-dramas: there's a diversity of stories, and given the volume they produce each year, there's always a gem here and there, yearlong. When I'm in love with a drama, I tend to fall in love with the details too: the design production, the cinematography, the expertise of the writer(s) playing with our nerves, keeping us on the edge of our seats, etc. All this without the shock factor of abundance of gruesome images, or rated-R love scenes... I feel at times that Mr. Sunshine does follow a formula, but it's not a criticism, I love every bit of it. It's part of my weekend highlights after a long week of work.

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, kansas424 said:

 

Mr. Sunshine is officially the best drama i have even watched for the past 30 years. You should be proud of Korea, for such high quality production. Along with these excellence lineup of fine actors. There's no need of much skinship, i can feel the pureness and simplest form of love which existed back then, the actors can literally converse with their eyes, crazy acting skills. 

 

17 minutes ago, lilyphenix said:

@kansas424 That's exactly what I was thinking too, about the excellency of so many k-dramas: there's a diversity of stories, and given the volume they produce each year, there's always a gem here and there, yearlong. When I'm in love with a drama, I tend to fall in love with the details too: the design production, the cinematography, the expertise of the writer(s) playing with our nerves, keeping us on the edge of our seats, etc. All this without the shock factor of abundance of gruesome images, or rated-R love scenes... I feel at times that Mr. Sunshine does follow a formula, but it's not a criticism, I love every bit of it. It's part of my weekend highlights after a long week of work.

Thank you for those sentiments. It's really hard not to gush, but another thing, which by the way may have already been pointed out by many others here, is the fact that we have at least 3 languages going back and forth in half the dialogs - so a thought occurred to me that this is truly an example of 21st century TV - I don't speak European languages well so I don't know what it's like there, but to have a high quality international cast production like this that explores and exploits the richness of the multiple cultures and languages at their historical cross sections, the intrigue, the misunderstandings, the humor, being able to imagine all the untold stories that happened when these cultures clashed then and now, some of which have surely been captured here in these episodes, this is what I am marveling at each time in this drama. For example the curses Yi Wan-Ik spits out in Korean at the Japanese ambassador who can't understand him but knows he's swearing at him, so much of what we do also in real life when we aren't so interested in hearing the other person's side - it's all very funny but also gives me a pause. This drama is going to live in everyone's mind for a very long time I believe. B) And it will influence many others in how they tell their story in a much more connected world, I think, if it hasn't already.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

@philosophie

Spoiler

I don't think so, he will probably stick around for a little longer. No matter how much people here dislike DM's character, he is still one of the leading figures of this drama and I believe he will have an important role to play in the events to come. I'm very excited where the plot is going

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Go Seung Ji changed the title to [Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..