[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

January 23, 2019

10 HIGHEST RATED TVN KOREAN DRAMAS ALL K-DRAMA FANS MUST WATCH

Source: KPOPLOVE

tvN, a relatively new TV network of South Korea, is known to set the trend by presenting one of a kind shows. With the massive popularity of “Reply 1994” in 2013, the TV channel has become one of the top providers of Korean dramas.

tvN in not one of the major TV networks, which comprises KBS, MBC, SBS, and EBS. Nevertheless, the viewership is competitive with any of the major networks, with the top position among cable networks being solidified.

If you want to navigate through tvN’s trendsetting drama series, use the list below as a guide. We’ve sorted 10 tvN dramas by the audience measurements provided by Nielson Korea.

10. Familiar Wife

Spoiler

Highest Viewership: 8.2%
Air Dates: August 1, 2018 – September 20, 2018
Cast Members: Ji Sung, Han Ji-min, and more
Genre: Romantic Fantasy
Synopsis: A married couple goes back in time to make a decisive choice that changes their lives.

9. What’s Wrong with Secretary Kim

Spoiler

Highest Viewership: 8.7%
Air Dates: June 6, 2018 – July 26, 2018
Cast Members: Park Seo-jun, Park Min-young, Kang Ki-young, and more
Genre: Romantic Comedy
Synopsis: A narcissistic vice president of a large corporation falls in love with his talented secretary in the course of stopping her from resigning.

8. Memories of the Alhambra

Spoiler

Highest Viewership: 9.9%
Air Dates: December 1, 2018 – January 20, 2019
Cast Members: Hyun Bin, Park Shin-hye, Chanyeol, and more
Genre: Romantic Fantasy / Suspense
Synopsis: An investor visits the creator of a popular augmented reality game to Granada, Spain, where he gets entangled in a mysterious incident with the game engineer’s sister.

7. Another Oh Hae-Young

Spoiler

Highest Viewership: 10%
Air Dates: May 2, 2016 – June 28, 2016
Cast Members: Moon Jung-hyuk, Seo Hyun-jin, Jeon Hye-bin, and more
Genre: Romance
Synopsis: Hae-young, who characterizes herself as a humble and common person, falls in love with Do-kyung, whose, heart was broken by a beautiful woman named Hae-young.

6. Prison Playbook

Spoiler

Highest Viewership: 11.2%
Air Dates: November 22, 2017 – January 18, 2018
Cast Members: Park Hae-soo, Jung Kyung-ho, and more
Genre: Black Comedy
Synopsis: A baseball star goes to prison as he is convicted of assault. The drama depicts his life behind bars, as well as those of people surrounding him.

5. Signal

Spoiler

Highest Viewership: 12.5%
Air Dates: January 22, 2016 – March 12, 2016
Cast Members: Kim Hye-soo, Cho Jin-woong, Lee Je-hoon, and more
Genre: Fantasy Thriller
Synopsis: Detectives in the present and from the past communicate through a mysterious walkie talkie to solve and prevent crimes.

4. 100 Days My Prince

Spoiler

Highest Viewership: 14.4%
Air Dates: September 10, 2018 – October 30, 2018
Cast Members: Do Kyung-soo, Nam Ji-hyun, and more
Genre: Historical Romantic Comedy
Synopsis: The Crown Prince of Joseon loses memories for 100 days and lives as a commoner as the husband of a strong, independent woman.

3. Mr Sunshine
Highest Viewership: 18.1%
Air Dates: July 7, 2018 – September 30, 2018
Cast Members: Kim Tae-ri, Lee Byung-hun, Kim Min-jung, Byun Yo-han, Yoo Yeon-seok, and more
Genre: Historical Romance
Synopsis: Set during the U.S. expedition to Korea in 1871, the drama centers on a young woman’s endeavor to protect her country from the colonizers and her romantic relationships.

2. Reply 1988

Spoiler

Highest Viewership: 18.8%
Air Dates: November 6, 2015 – January 16, 2016
Cast Members: Lee Hye-ri, Park Bo-gum, Go Kyung-pyo, Ryu Jun-yeol, Lee Dong-hwi, and more
Genre: Romantic Comedy
Synopsis: Set in 1988, the drama follows the lives of five families in a neighborhood in Seoul, as well as relationships of five friends who grew up together.

1. Guardian: The Lonely and Great God

Spoiler

Highest Viewership: 20.5%
Air Dates: December 2, 2016 – January 21, 2017
Cast Members: Gong Yoo, Kim Go-eun, Lee Dong-wook, Yoo In-na, Yook Sung-jae, and more
Genre: Romantic Fantasy
Synopsis: A goblin and protector of souls finds a human bride to end his immortal life.

Art by yj_landscapes

• Like 4

@rubie Thanks for the Mr. Sunshine post. And I'm happy people liked the drama. I'm happy it's on the list!!! And I love the art drawing you posted too. 

to Everyone: So I was just thinking and I really liked how Eugene stayed at the Glory Hotel. I thought he liked Hi Na(Am I saying her name right?) Did anyone else think he liked her?

• Like 3

@2handsintertwined I believe Eugene was grateful and satisfied staying at Glory Hotel (despite his room being constantly searched by various people).. it's just a place for him to eat, sleep and rest when he's not working. At the time, it's the only place that was available for the foreigners to stay. Eugene was also being courteous to HiNa but the hotel owner certainly had her eyes on him, at first. EC wasn't interested in anyone (before he started to like AeShin), he's was focusing on doing his job.. he wasn't comfortable to be back in Joseon.

Found this shared on twitter. Have not watch this particular drama but it's also on tvN and they perfectly parodied the Eugene-AeShin hand scene.:lol: I remember people making fun of this scene when the first MR.SUNSHINE poster was released and now it became their popular trademark pose.

Clip: @HeroShot61

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

Source: Toby Forshaw @KaiserKnightMax

Started watching Kim Eun-sook's and Lee Eung-bok's series 'Mr. Sunshine' (2018) on Netflix. It's a compelling, and at times baroque, romantic historical drama about Korea at the turn of the 20th century. Kim Tae-ri and Lee Byung-hun are excellent.

Behind-the-scenes with Eugene Choi mrs.jpg

Photos: Lee Byung Hun

• Like 3

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

01192721.jpg

MR. SUNSHINE OST CONCERT

Lotte Concert Hall

Feb. 24 th_animated-notes.gif

Last year, the period drama “Mr. Sunshine” featuring veteran actor Lee Byung-hun proved to be a huge hit and its soundtrack performed well on the charts for many weeks. 

For fans of the show’s music, the Arts Symphony Orchestra, under the direction of conductor Ahn Doo-hyun, will hold a concert to perform songs from the drama. 

The concert starts at 5 p.m.

Tickets range from 40,000 won to 100,000 won. 

Jamsil Station, line No. 2, exit 1 or 2

January 27, 2019

Scores from beloved films, dramas to be performed

By Im Eun-byel    The Korea Herald      

Familiar music from Koreans’ favorite films and dramas will be played live, bringing back tears and laughter for fans. 

A series of concerts featuring orchestral performances of scores from the country’s most beloved visual content will be held in Seoul. As the performances are all based on visual productions, many of the concerts will have clips from the shows screened. 

Original soundtracks from the tvN drama “Mr.Sunshine” will be played at the Lotte Concert Hall on Feb. 24. 

20190127000136_0.jpg
Drama “Mister Sunshine” (CJ ENM)

The period drama, starring actors Kim Tae-ri and Lee Byung-hun, marked the highest viewership rating of 23.24 percent for its last episode aired in September. 

Singers, including Park Hyo-shin and Baek Ji-young, who sang for the production will take the stage, backed by orchestral performance. Conductor Ahn Du-hyun will lead the Arts Symphony Orchestra, along with violist Steve Lee, cellist Song Min-je and pianist Lee Hyun-jin.

The orchestra will also stage another fantasy to real-life performance with scores from the hit Japanese drama “Nodame Cantabile” at the Lotte Concert Hall on March 24.

“Nodame Cantabile” is a popular Japanese cartoon series based on the life of students at a college of music. The story was adapted into a Japanese drama and was remade in Korea in 2014, under the name “Cantabile Tomorrow,” starring actor Park Bo-gum.

Spoiler

20190127000137_0.jpg

Japanese drama “Nodame Cantabile” (Miro Vision)

As the story directly deals with classical music, the mentioned pieces are to be played at the performance.

For those who are more into film music, the Los Angeles Philharmonic will hold a concert entitled “Celebrating John Williams” at the Olympic Gymnastics Arena in eastern Seoul on March 17, in tribute to renowned film composer John Williams.

Spoiler

20190127000135_0.jpg

Conductor Gustavo Dudamel of the Los Angeles Philharmonic (Mast Media)

Led by rising star conductor Gustavo Dudamel, the orchestra will perform emblematic film scores from “Harry Potter,” “Star Wars” and other Hollywood blockbusters. 

By Im Eun-byel (silverstar@heraldcorp.com)

• Like 2

What could have been.. if they had survived.. the sad ending.. :tears:

Source: Yoo Yeon Seok US

MR.SUNSHINE: The 40-year challenge

January 31, 2019

Netflix Users in Korea Surpass 1 Million

By Lee Ki-moon The Chosun Ilbo

U.S. video-streaming provider Netflix has attracted more than a million users in Korea on their Android mobile devices alone, just three years after entering the market here.

The number of Netflix users has increased by 200,000 to 300,000 every three month, and industry watchers forecast the company to become the No. 1 video-streaming provider in Korea soon.

According market researcher Wiseapp on Wednesday, 1.27 million people used the Netflix app on their Android phones last month, a 3.7-fold increase from January 2018. If people who access Netflix on their PCs or iPhones are counted, the number is probably much higher.

Netflix offers movies, series and other shows on demand. Up to four people can access a single account, and it has around 900,000 Korean accounts, translating into W11.7 billion in monthly fees (US$1=W1,118).

Worldwide it has 139 million subscribers in 190 countries.

Netflix has invested W150 billion to produce Korean content so far. That includes period zombie series "Kingdom," which alone cost W1.5 billion to W2 billion per episode, more than four times the average budget of Korean soaps. It was released globally last Friday.

It also spent W50 billion on the 2017 film "Okja" by director Bong Joon-ho and W30 billion for the hit TV drama "Mr. Sunshine" last year. This year it will launch two drama series and one entertainment program here.

Netflix already has a firm grip on the streaming markets in the U.S. and Europe.

Netflix's strategy is to invest half of its earnings in content and technology. Last year it spent US$8 billion to produce original content and acquire rights to other materials. It claims to offer unlimited access to more than 10,000 movies and drama series for just around W10,000 a month, though in fact a great deal of content is restricted by region.

It also faces criticism for not paying Korean telecom providers despite using massive amounts of data through its high-capacity streaming service.

Naver and Kakao pay Korean telecoms tens of billions a year in usage fees. 

• Like 4

On 1/24/2019 at 11:04 PM, rubie said:

I believe Eugene was grateful and satisfied staying at Glory Hotel (despite his room being constantly searched by various people).. it's just a place for him to eat, sleep and rest when he's not working. At the time, it's the only place that was available for the foreigners to stay. Eugene was also being courteous to HiNa but the hotel owner certainly had her eyes on him, at first. EC wasn't interested in anyone (before he started to like AeShin), he's was focusing on doing his job.. he wasn't comfortable to be back in Joseon.

Found this shared on twitter. Have not watch this particular drama but it's also on tvN and they perfectly parodied the Eugene-AeShin hand scene.:lol: I remember people making fun of this scene when the first MR.SUNSHINE poster was released and now it became their popular trademark pose.

Ok! I'm finally replying this! I agree with you on Eugene and Glory Hotel! So they searched Eugene's hotel. I was so scared! I thought they were going to find all his secrets! You're right. It was just a place for him to eat and sleep, right?! So you think HiNa had her eyes on him. I understand. I thought Eugene felt something for her. I was wrong! So Eugene was only interested in AeShin. You're right. Eugene was focusing on his job! The scene you put up. The scene of Eugene and Aesin with the hand! That part was amazing! I think that part was the promotion photo for Mr. Sunshine. Right? But you're right. It was used for the first poster. Thank you for posting.

On 2/1/2019 at 5:41 AM, rubie said:

Netflix already has a firm grip on the streaming markets in the U.S. and Europe.

Netflix's strategy is to invest half of its earnings in content and technology. Last year it spent US$8 billion to produce original content and acquire rights to other materials. It claims to offer unlimited access to more than 10,000 movies and drama series for just around W10,000 a month, though in fact a great deal of content is restricted by region.

It also faces criticism for not paying Korean telecom providers despite using massive amounts of data through its high-capacity streaming service.

Thank you for sharing this :) 

I miss Mr. Sunshine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

There was a filming session of commentary for Mr. Sunshine Blu-ray last weekend. Director KEB, writer KES, and all the main casts( LBH, KTR, KMJ, YYS, and BYH ) were there. BH uploaded the photo to his instagram.

This will be included in Mr. Sunshine Blu-ray, and now we just need to wait. (I can't wait to watch what they are talking about here! ) Just FYI,  snacks and gifts were fan support (from http://cafe.daum.net/MrSunshineBD and Mr Sunshine dc gallery), prepared by Blu-ray support team. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1